Groupie
    • Jul 2012

Tapping

Yes I know Steve Hackett was doing it before Eddie, but this is from 1965 -

• VHscraps
    Veteran
    • Jul 2009

Interesting.

But, I think if we limit what Eddie brought to the guitar as simply tapping (and I'm not saying that you do), then it does him a grave disservice.

Loadsa people could have been tapping before him - and I've heard people say Fred Frith was doing it before anyone else, he predates Steve Hackett - but still nobody sounded like Eddie. That's the mistake people make who think he is just about tapping. What is remarkable in the original recorded version (VH1) of 'Eruption' to me, is the way he goddam attacks the guitar, and more generally the overall sonic / tonal package; the way he put all the elements together into a new kind of thing.

It still sounds blistering now ... alive.
    THINK LIKE THE WAVES

Comment

• Seshmeister
      ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

If you could keep it from getting noisy that first one could be a Mr Big song with a distorted guitar.

Comment

• fraroc
        Commando
        • Jun 2012

Michael Jackson didn't invent the moonwalk and he made that move INCREDIBLY famous. And I know there are other guitarists before Eddie Van Halen that did tapping, Eddie just made tapping famous along with dive bombs and much other crazy shit.
        How do you spell pretentious? S-A-M-M-Y H-A-G-A-R

Comment

• TFM_Dale
          ROTH ARMY SUPREME
          • Jan 2009

Way to much Mikey Jackson talk in this place lately. When Sandusky finally kicks the bucket he will have some company.

Comment

• minkahed
            Roadie
            • Jan 2012

Scotty Moore was Tapping on Elvis' "Sun Sessions" way back as '54, (Blue Moon), so who cares, Eddie took it to another level .....
            Hot dog and a shake

Comment

• Hardrock69
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • Feb 2005

Another example were occasions that Terry Kath would tap on his fingerboard to get those octave-higher bell-tones on some of the early 70s Chicago records....

Nobody before Ed used tapping for their primary stylistic signature....that is what Ed brought to the table.....sure it was in the "bag o' tricks" of other guitarists before Ed, but nobody made it the focus of their playing style.

Comment

• vaijuju
                Sniper
                • Jan 2008

1924 !
                http://vhfrance.activebb.net/ (1 er Site Francophone sur Van Halen)

http://www.youtube.com/user/VHFranceVideos (Our new Channel)

Comment

• fryingdutchman
                  Full Member Status

• Feb 2005

No offense dude...but your thread is a bit of a kick in the dick towards Eddie. "Proof" that he didn't invent tapping? Is there a battle going on somewhere over who should be properly credited for "inventing" the technique?

Eddie never laid claim to the invention. The label of "inventor" was slapped on him by the media.

Some of the other sentiments expressed here are spot on. He didn't "invent" it...but he made it famous. He made it a "household name" by virtue of all of the other techniques that he employed along with it.

And it didn't hurt that the songs he was doing it on are some of the most legendary, kick-ass rock songs ever recorded.
                  Originally posted by perilouspete
                  fryingdutchman you pretty much own everyone.....sick comebacks, well put. top class wit.

Comment

• flappo
                    Banned
                    • Jan 2004

fuck van halen

Comment

• flappo
                      Banned
                      • Jan 2004

the true masters

Comment

• sadaist
                        TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                        • Jul 2004

So what if EVH didn't invent tapping? He perfected it. Popularized it. And made us all try to do it.
                        “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Comment

• flappo
                          Banned
                          • Jan 2004

he's a one trick pony , if i have to endure another fucking eruption solo i'll fucking puke

Comment

• 78/84 guy
                            Crazy Ass Mofo
                            • Apr 2005

Originally posted by flappo
                            he's a one trick pony , if i have to endure another fucking eruption solo i'll fucking puke
                            Who is ? Ed ? Some of his best solo's have zero tapping. Outta Love & Hot For Teacher are two of my favorite solo's of all time. I think Ed's true thing is his hyper rhythm playing & tone. That went away on the Van Hag albums & that's why they sound like Journey albums and not Van Halen. At least the music. Some of 5150 was good.

Comment

• flappo
                              Banned
                              • Jan 2004

ed seems to be stuck in 1997-ish , without spammy as baxckup and leading his band into oblivion

Comment

Working...