X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rustoffa
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    • Jan 2004

Post Punk: What's the current opinion?

So, it's a weird genre that lots of folks on here are probably ready do destroy. That being said, lots of it was going on during the popularity of the heavy music of the early to late eighties. I was forced to listen to alot of it recently via the playlist generation. You know, Siouxsie, The Fall, The Birthday Party, Echo and The Bunnymen....just all manner of that weird stuff. In all honesty, some of it sounded really good in retrospect when comparing the time, viability, etc.
  • Kristy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Aug 2004

For one, true punk died in 1978. Everything else since has been commentary.

Two, bands (largely limey dog & pony acts) such as Echo & The Bunnymen, The Fall, Bauhaus were never punk. They were more or less not ready for MTV alternative or "college rock" (in 80's terminology) as it was better known in the USA. I myself am a hugh fan of Echo but there is absolutely nothing remotely punk about them.

Comment

• FORD
      ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

"post punk" was just some label that corporate/media types wanted to put on the music that arrived after the whole Ramones/Pistols/Damned/Clash/GenerationX wave.

I've heard the label applied to everyone from Elvis Costello to Blondie to Siouxsie to Adam and the fucking Ants. The latter two who directly emerged from the Sex Pistols "Bromley Contingent" fan club. The "post punk" label even applied to new bands that were going out of their way to sound like OLD bands from the 60s, such as the Welsh band "17", who would later rename themselves "The Alarm"

Fuck labels... music is either good or its not. And even that may be totally subjective in some cases. But in the case of the song above, I can dig it.
      Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• FORD
        ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Might as well post the other side of the single....

Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• FORD
          ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

The Professionals.... literally "post punks", as they were what was left of the Sex Pistols after the 1978 US tour meltdown/departure of Johnny Rotten/death of Sid Vicious......

Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

Comment

• FORD
            ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

Comment

• FORD
              ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Then there's this little band from Dublin who was considered "post punk" before they really discovered their own "sound" and hit the big time........

Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

Comment

• rustoffa
                ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                • Jan 2004

I knew Ford would weigh in on this. I'm not trying to say any of the bands I mentioned were ever Punk. Well, I guess Siouxsie was for a bit. It's basically the Post Punk movement, or partial crawl, or whatever. Mostly British...

Comment

• rustoffa
                  ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                  • Jan 2004

That Birthday Party shit was weird. It sounds like Pere Ubu with Nick cave beating on sewer pipes or something.

Comment

• FORD
                    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Siouxie Sioux launched her career from this infamous BBC interview......

"You dirty fucker.... what a fucking rotter....."
                    Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

Comment

• rustoffa
                      ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                      • Jan 2004

She's basically an Icon over there. I guess I'd throw TSOL and Husker Du in the mix as well. This is great argument material.

Comment

• FORD
                        ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by rustoffa
                        That Birthday Party shit was weird. It sounds like Pere Ubu with Nick cave beating on sewer pipes or something.
                        Yeah, they were really "dark" for the times.....

no doubt inspired a lot of the "goth" and "industrial" scenes. In fact, if I remember correctly, Blixa Bargeld who formed the "pioneer" industrial band Einsteurzende Neubauten also worked with Nick Cave on a few occasions, both in the Birthday Party and later with the Bad Seeds.
                        Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

Comment

• FORD
                          ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Speaking of Neubauten.....

...goddamn, the stories I could tell about this album and the poster of it's cover art.....
                          Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

Comment

• rustoffa
                            ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                            • Jan 2004

It was stupid.

Comment

• rustoffa
                              ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                              • Jan 2004

Quit killing me man. Back to the subject....was Joy Division/New Order post punk? Gang Of Four?

Comment

Working...