• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sarge
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Feb 2003

U.S. Army Told Not to Use Israeli Bullets in Iraq

.S. Army Told Not to Use Israeli Bullets in Iraq

Fri Jun 25, 7:50 AM ET Add Oddly Enough - Reuters to My Yahoo!

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Israeli-made bullets bought by the U.S. Army to plug a shortfall should be used for training only, not to fight Muslim guerrillas in Iraq (news - web sites) and Afghanistan (news - web sites), U.S. lawmakers told Army generals on Thursday.

Since the Army has other stockpiled ammunition, "by no means, under any circumstances should a round (from Israel) be utilized," said Rep. Neil Abercrombie of Hawaii, the top Democrat on a House of Representatives Armed Services subcommittee with jurisdiction over land forces.

The Army contracted with Israel Military Industries Ltd. in December for $70 million in small-caliber ammunition.

The Israeli firm was one of only two worldwide that could meet U.S. technical specifications and delivery needs, said Brig. Gen. Paul Izzo, the Army's program executive officer for ammunition. The other was East Alton, Illinois-based Winchester Ammunition, which also received a $70 million contract.

Although the Army should not have to worry about "political correctness," Abercrombie was making a valid point about the propaganda pitfalls of using Israeli rounds in the U.S.-declared war on terror, said Rep. Curt Weldon, the Pennsylvania Republican who chairs the subcommittee on tactical air and land forces.

"There's a sensitivity that I think all of us recognize," Weldon told the Army witnesses, including Maj. Gen. Buford Blount, who led the U.S. Third Infantry Division that captured Baghdad in April 2003.

Blount, now the Army's assistant deputy chief of staff, said the Army had sufficient small caliber ammunition -- 5.56mm, 7.62mm and .50 caliber -- to conduct current operations in Iraq, Afghanistan and elsewhere.

But taken together with training needs, the United States had strained its production facilities, he testified.

"To fight a major combat operation in another theater will require the Army to impose restrictions on training expenditures and to focus current inventory and new production on combat operations," Blount said.

As a result, he said the Army hoped to stretch U.S. supplies to supplement the capacity of the government-owned Lake City plant in Independence, Missouri, that currently makes more than 90 percent of U.S. small caliber ammunition.

The Lake City factory, operated by Alliant Techsystems Inc., has nearly quadrupled its production in the past four years. This year, it will produce more than 1.2 billion rounds, Karen Davies, president of the ATK arm that runs it, told the panel. Lake City provided more than 2 billion rounds a year during World War II and Vietnam, she said.

The Army's needs will grow to about 1.5 billion to 1.7 billion rounds a year in coming years, Blount said.

"In the near-term, balancing training requirements with current operational needs is a manageable risk-mitigation strategy," he said.

The Army does not want to repeat its history of building capacity during wartime "only to dismantle it in peacetime," Blount added.

ROTHARMY.COM WEBMASTER AND FOUNDER
    The Diamond David Lee Roth Army

MY GROUPS ON ROTHARMY.COM
    [Fender Custom Shop Owners Club]
  • Eyes of the Night
    Veteran
    • Jan 2004

Trippy ...
    Broken down n' dirty dressed in rags ...

Comment

• FORD
      ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

This would be the equivalent of the LAPD using flashlights (to beat black people) with labels that read Made with racial pride by the Knights of the Ku Klux Klan
      Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• ELVIS
        Banned
        • Dec 2003

Stupid

Comment

• twonabomber
          formerly F A T
          ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

i'm sure the Iraqis don't discriminate when it comes to the material they make their car bombs out of...
          Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

• bobthedog
            Groupie
            • Jun 2004

Originally posted by twonabomber
            i'm sure the Iraqis don't discriminate when it comes to the material they make their car bombs out of...

Good point !!!

Comment

• Mezro
              Full Member Status

• May 2004

Guess they can't launch dreidels from rocket launchers either.

Mezro...no rabbi punches; there has to be rules for war to be fair
              Got me a date with a shaved Asian. I know, I know; I think it's fucked!

Comment

• rustoffa
                ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                • Jan 2004

You sure wouldn't have to worry about those bullets being dusty.
                The best of the best (Top Guns) pilots the UNITED STATES OF
                AMERICA have frequently train with the Israeli's, as they consistently
                log more scorthched earth policy time than anyone else. My Desert
                Eagle .44 was engineered in Israel.....gimme some ammo to match.

Comment

• Mr Grimsdale
                  ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                  • Jan 2004

like rustoffa says the yids have been fighting on and off for the last 50 years or so, they also supplied Iran with spares for their F-14 fleet during the Iran Iraq war, a case of the enemy of my enemy is my friend - hold on though which side did the US back during that conflict?

talk about a win win situation! nice work chaps
                  Originally posted by flappo
                  i'm sure grimsdale's on drugs

Originally posted by Cato
                  translating your Japanese.

"Master Cato is...I order, it's yours. don't ask me to do gay material for the life of me because you kick my bat."

omae baka dana?

Comment

• LoungeMachine
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • Jul 2004

Do they get less virgins in heaven when killed by Israeli Ammo? , or more?

Is this really what this has come to?

Ford's analogy is pretty good.

I wonder if this would have applied when we were supplying BOTH Iraq and Iran with weapons.

How about Bush killing prisoners with electricity supplied by Enron?
                    Originally posted by Kristy
                    Dude, what in the fuck is wrong with you? I'm full of hate and I do drugs.
                    Originally posted by cadaverdog
                    I posted under aliases and I jerk off with a sock. Anything else to add?

Comment

Working...