PDA

View Full Version : John 5 - Working with David Lee Roth

Seshmeister
08-03-2013, 06:51 AM
John 5 (Lowery) sometime Rob Zombie and Marilyn Manson guitarist played and helped write large parts of the 1998 DLR Band album including Slam Dunk!, Blacklight, Counter-Blast, Little Texas, Wa Wa Zat!!, Relentless and Weekend With the Babysitter.

Dave recently mentioned he had been working with him again and now in a snippet from a recent interview in Metal Insider he has commented on it.

http://john-5.com/main/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/john5-sidebar.jpg

Not too long ago, David Lee Roth revealed that he was working on a musical jukebox project with you. What’s the status of that?

It’s called Somewhere Over the Rainbow Bar & Grill. What it was, he was warming up for the Van Halen record he said “Hey John, come on over, we’ll play some songs and write a little bit.” He likes to get his voice in shape and we were just hanging out at his house and he said “I love this, let’s go into the studio!” And we recorded it that day. Luckily I cleared my day, and we came out with twelve songs, and they’re incredible! I don’t know what he’ll do with it.

I remember hearing him say he had such grand ideas for it.

It’s so incredible. It is awesome. It sounds like “Could This Be Magic?” or “The Full Bug,” you know, that David Lee Roth deep voice. It’s really great. Hopefully it’ll see the light of day one day.

Was it nice working with David Lee Roth again?

Yeah. I’ve known him forever. For years and years and years and years and years. It’s great. It’s like hanging out with a friend, and just knocking stuff out.

You can read the whole interview at http://www.metalinsider.net/interviews/john-5-on-rob-zombies-first-ever-live-dvd-working-with-david-lee-roth-and-rod-stewart

Matt White
08-03-2013, 08:56 AM
JOHN 5 is farking BRILLIANT!!!

When and IF the current VAN HALEN reunion ever ends DAVE needs to keep working with JOHN

Northern Girl
08-03-2013, 09:07 AM
It’s so incredible. It is awesome. It sounds like “Could This Be Magic?” or “The Full Bug,” you know, that David Lee Roth deep voice. It’s really great. Hopefully it’ll see the light of day one day.

I hope it sees the light of day too. This is the kind of song where Dave excels.

Make it so, Dave! I'll buy it!

DLR Bridge
08-03-2013, 09:07 AM
I remember thinking that snippet of "Red Bull & Pop Tarts" from the Roth show sounded like Jack Johnson meets Could This Be Magic.

Zing!
08-03-2013, 09:15 AM
I hope it sees the light of day too. This is the kind of song where Dave excels.

Make it so, Dave! I'll buy it!

I would too. In fact I'd prefer this to another "Diamond Dave" type album.

Angel
08-03-2013, 09:17 AM
I would too. In fact I'd prefer this to another "Diamond Dave" type album.

I think I must be one of the few that actually liked that album...

DLR Bridge
08-03-2013, 09:57 AM

I liked it right up to that aweful Thug Pop (though, I liked the breakdown). Bad Habit was ehh, and ICM was really bad.

Angel
08-03-2013, 10:37 AM
I liked it right up to that aweful Thug Pop (though, I liked the breakdown). Bad Habit was ehh, and ICM was really bad.

Thug Pop was made to test the skip function. :D. I LOVE Bad Habits and ICM...but I was raised on Big Band...

PETE'S BROTHER
08-03-2013, 12:11 PM
thug pop is fun

DLR Bridge
08-03-2013, 12:49 PM
thug pop is fun

I dunno. The shrill pseudo rap-singing, tinny guitar riff that doesn't quite come to life. Just doesn't do it for me. I'll give it another try though.

PETE'S BROTHER
08-03-2013, 12:59 PM
I dunno. The shrill pseudo rap-singing, tinny guitar riff that doesn't quite come to life. Just doesn't do it for me. I'll give it another try though.

get's my feet shufflin'...

binnie
08-03-2013, 01:34 PM
Would be very cool to hear this - can't imagining The Sisters being too pleased if it came out whilst the reunion was still underway, however....

PETE'S BROTHER
08-03-2013, 01:35 PM
reunion..... :biggrin:

78/84 guy
08-03-2013, 01:53 PM
If there isn't going too be a new VH album put it out ! Dave need's to quit being the sisters little bitch ! Our way or the highway. Fuck that ! If they get pissed too bad.

FORD
08-03-2013, 02:05 PM

I liked it for what it was..... too many covers, but it sounded great. I just wish the DLR Band album had the same level of production.

Thug Pop wasn't exactly a timeless classic, but since it was a Roth/Lowery composition, it does give a hint of what those 1998 songs could have sounded like, on an album that wasn't basically a basement demo tape.

FORD
08-03-2013, 02:07 PM
If there isn't going too be a new VH album put it out ! Dave need's to quit being the sisters little bitch ! Our way or the highway. Fuck that ! If they get pissed too bad.

Well, it would be hypocritical of Eddie to say that Wolfie could do other things, but Dave can't.

(Not like that's ever stopped him before.... i.e. 1986 & 1996, for example)

Never was
08-03-2013, 03:22 PM
Little side projects may actually help keep the wheels on the VH bus if it can burn off some of the excess creative juice of Dave. He tries to to put so much and w VH being so methodical and deliberate it ends a constant clash of just work styles and energy level. Now is VH mature enough to not take it as a threat, a side project without tour w John 5 or release his acoustic album probably, he launches EEAS reunion w full tour probably not. Seems constant tension has been balanced well so far so optimistic for now.

DLR Bridge
08-04-2013, 03:33 AM
I'd like to think that Ed is now above being out of sorts over Dave doing something else during down time. Look what both he and his son have done during the time period that was once allocated for continued touring of America. The tour gets sidelined due to 'biting off more than they can chew' and we end up with our present day bassist being considered by Mark Tremonti "a full fledged member" of one of his projects and Ed doing studio work with a rapper. If Ed were to voice displeasure towards Dave's Rainbow Bar & Grill session, that would be an unfortunate lesson in how some people never change. I'm confident he's changed, but ya never really know with him.

TAKIN WHISKEY
08-04-2013, 09:00 AM

I like the album too.