• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Seshmeister
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

"As a Democrat, I am disgusted with President Obama"

As a Democrat, I am disgusted with President Obama

I voted for Obama reluctantly, but never did I imagine he would become another Richard Nixon
    Share 5893

Jeff Jarvis
    theguardian.com, Thursday 22 August 2013 16.50 BST

What are you thinking, Mr President?

Is this really the legacy you want for yourself: the chief executive who trampled rights, destroyed privacy, heightened secrecy, ruined trust, and worst of all, did not defend but instead detoured around so many of the fundamental principles on which this country is founded?

And I voted for you. I'll confess you were a second choice. I supported Hillary Clinton first. I said at the time that your rhetoric about change was empty and that I feared you would be another Jimmy Carter: aggressively ineffectual.

Never did I imagine that you would instead become another Richard Nixon: imperial, secretive, vindictive, untrustworthy, inexplicable.

I do care about security. I survived the attack on the World Trade Center and I believe 9/11 was allowed to occur through a failure of intelligence. I thank TSA agents for searching me: applause for security theater. I defend government's necessary secrets. By the way, I also defend Obamacare. I should be an easy ally, but your exercise of power appalls me. When I wrote about your credibility deficit recently, I was shocked that among the commenters at that great international voice of liberalism, the Guardian, next to no one defended you. Even on our side of the political divide, I am far from alone in urgently wondering what you are doing.

As a journalist, I am frightened by your vengeful attacks on whistleblowers – Manning, Assange, Snowden, and the rest – and the impact in turn on journalism and its tasks of keeping a watchful eye on you and helping to assure an informed citizenry.

As a citizen, I am disgusted by the systematic evasion of oversight you have supported through the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act (FISA) courts; by the use of ports as lawless zones where your agents can harass anyone; by your failure on your promise to close Guantánamo, and this list could go on.

As an American often abroad, I am embarrassed by the damage you have caused to our reputation and to others' trust in us. I find myself apologizing for what you are doing to citizens of other nations, dismissing the idea that they have rights to privacy because they are "foreign".

As an internet user, I am most fearful of the impact of your wanton destruction of privacy and the resulting collapse of trust in the net and what that will do to the freedom we have enjoyed in it as well as the business and jobs that are being built atop it.

And as a Democrat, I worry that you are losing us the next election, handing an issue to the Republicans that should have been ours: protecting the rights of citizens against the overreach of the security state.

Surely you can see this. But you keep doubling down, becoming only more dogged in your defense of secrecy and your guardians of it. I don't understand.

The only way I could possibly grant you the benefit of doubt is to think that there is some ominous fact about our security that only you and your circle know and can't breath or the jig will be up. But I don't believe that anymore than I believe a James Bond movie or an Oliver Stone conspiracy theory. You can't argue that Armageddon is on the way and that al-Qaida is on the run at the same time.

No, I think it is this: secrecy corrupts. Absolute secrecy corrupts absolutely. You have been seduced by the idea that your authority rests in your secrets and your power to hold them. Every attack on that power, every questioning of it only makes you draw in tighter, receding into your vault with the key you think your office grants you. You are descending into a dark hole of your own digging.

But you know better, don't you? In a democracy, secrecy is not the foundation of authority; that is the basis of dictatorships. Principles and their defense is what underpins your office.

First among those principles is the defense of our freedom. Security is only a subset of that, for if we are not secure we are not free. Freedom demands the confidence that we are not under attack, yes, but also that we are not being surveilled without our knowledge and consent. The balance, which we are supposedly debating, must go to freedom.

Transparency is another principle you promised to uphold but have trammeled instead. The only way to assure trust in your actions is if they are overseen by open courts, by informed legislators, by an uninhibited press, and most importantly by an informed citizenry.

As political and media attention turn away from you, you have an opportunity to rise again to the level of principles, to prove that your rhetoric about change was not empty after all, to rebuild your already ill-fated legacy, to do what is expected of you and your office.

You could decide to operate on the principle that our privacy is protected in any medium – not just in our first-class letters but in our emails and chats and calls – unless under specific and due warrant.

You could decide to end what will be known as the Obama Collect it All doctrine and make the art of intelligence focus rather than reach.

You could decide to respect the efforts of whistleblowers as courageous practitioners of civil disobedience who are sacrificing much in their efforts to protect lives and democracy. If they are the Martin Luther Kings of our age, then call off Bull Connor's digital dogs and fire hoses, will you?

You could decide to impress us with the transparency you still can bring to government, so that the institution you run becomes open by default rather than by force.

You could decide to support a free press and stop efforts – here and, using your influence, with our friends in the UK – to restrain their work.

You could decide that whether they are visiting our land or talking with our citizens by email or phone, foreigners are not to be distrusted by default.

You could try to reverse the damage you have done to the internet and its potential by upholding its principles of openness and freedom.

You could. Will you?
  • FORD
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

I agree with most of the above.... even though the author is clearly a DLC false "Democrat" given his love for the Clintons, but not for an actual Democrat like Jimmy Carter. I definitely do NOT agree with his praise for the "security theater" bullshit (NSA/TSA/etc. )

And I **WAS** a Democrat from the age of 14 up until Obama caved on health care. He campaigned on the public option, which itself was far too much of a ridiculous compromise, compared to the single payer system that the rest of the "civilized" world has, and that polls show 72% of Americans want. (and the other 28% would, if they would turn off FAUX Noize for a few hourse).

But I don't call myself a Democrat anymore. And that's a serious thing for a former local party chairman to say. I don't want anything to do with the party of NAFTA, Chained CPI, and the 1996 FAUX Clear Channel enabling act. (or the complicity in Chimp's 9/11 & Iraq lies, for that matter)
    Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Seshmeister
      ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Was the chat not that in his second term he would be able to be much more honest and radical?

If I was American I guess I would have to vote Democrat too but it's a really shitty choice, death by shooting v death by torture. The 2 party system is a con. It's nothing to do with your constitution, in fact the original plan was not to have political parties at all.

After the one time someone else actually had a go, Ross Perot, they changed the rules so that it can never happen again.

I totally understand why Americans go all libertarian...

Comment

• FORD
        ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Yeah, the O-bot cheerleaders over at Democratic Underground used to preach that shit endlessly, that Obama would magically transform into the Resurrected FDR the minute his second term began.

Not that Obama himself is entirely to blame, of course.

You have all the obstructionist Republicans in both houses of Congress. And then you have false "Democrats" in both houses - the Baucus/Lieberman types, led by weak (so-called) "leadership" of Spineless Harry Reid and Jellyfish Pelosi.

So even if Barry had in fact, tried to live up to his campaign promises, he would have had all that against him. But they didn't choose his cabinet pics. They didn't make an arrogant Liberal hating prick like Rahm Emanuel his chief of staff. Or put a MonSatan shill in charge of the Agriculture department. Or keep Chimpy's "defense" secretary. Or put the same Wall Street fucks who raped and pillaged the economy in charge of the treasury. Or appoint an alleged "Democrat" (Kagan) to the Supreme Court who was considerably to the right of the retiring REPUBLICAN she was replacing.... (who also BTW has had to recuse herself from about half the court cases, because she already appeared before a lower court in her previous job capacity as Solicitor General. Which is the appropriate thing for her to do, but it also is another reason why she was an awful choice for the Supremes)

And Barry can't blame any of that on Boner, Mitch McTurtle, or the Birthers. Or on us Liberals who won't vote for DLC/BlueDog/Third Way phonies anymore.
        Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Seshmeister
          ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

The really horrible thing about it is that his most significant and long standing legacy is going to be taking Bush's reaction to 9-11 and making it the status quo.

What could have been reversed as reactionary, anti constitutional. anti freedom, plain dumb and all the rest has become the default position.

Comment

• Dr. Love
            ROTH ARMY SUPREME
            • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Seshmeister
            Mostly libertarians just want to be left alone and to leave others alone, but there are too many entrenched interests for that to happen without one hell of a fight. I personally wouldn't have an issue with things like a single-payer system or free education or improving society if I could believe for any reasonable amount of time that the power wouldn't be corrupted to be used to enrich the few. It's just how it is.

So given the choice, I believe that I can do better on my own with my own in my own community than to trust to the politicians. They don't care about me beyond how to get my vote ... if they even care about that. They all go to Washington and they all line their own pockets.
            I've got the cure you're thinkin' of.

http://i.imgur.com/jBw4fCu.gif

Comment

• Dr. Love
              ROTH ARMY SUPREME
              • Jan 2004

Originally posted by FORD
              Yeah, the O-bot cheerleaders over at Democratic Underground used to preach that shit endlessly, that Obama would magically transform into the Resurrected FDR the minute his second term began.

You have all the obstructionist Republicans in both houses of Congress. And then you have false "Democrats" in both houses - the Baucus/Lieberman types, led by weak (so-called) "leadership" of Spineless Harry Reid and Jellyfish Pelosi.

So even if Barry had in fact, tried to live up to his campaign promises, he would have had all that against him. But they didn't choose his cabinet pics. They didn't make an arrogant Liberal hating prick like Rahm Emanuel his chief of staff. Or put a MonSatan shill in charge of the Agriculture department. Or keep Chimpy's "defense" secretary. Or put the same Wall Street fucks who raped and pillaged the economy in charge of the treasury. Or appoint an alleged "Democrat" (Kagan) to the Supreme Court who was considerably to the right of the retiring REPUBLICAN she was replacing.... (who also BTW has had to recuse herself from about half the court cases, because she already appeared before a lower court in her previous job capacity as Solicitor General. Which is the appropriate thing for her to do, but it also is another reason why she was an awful choice for the Supremes)

And Barry can't blame any of that on Boner, Mitch McTurtle, or the Birthers. Or on us Liberals who won't vote for DLC/BlueDog/Third Way phonies anymore.
              I recall seeing some of that around here.

Too bad too many people are interested in voting against someone than voting for what they believe in. We don't have a 2 party system... we have a 1 party system. One party just seems to be a little more honest about how they are going to conduct business, and it ain't the Democrats.
              I've got the cure you're thinkin' of.

http://i.imgur.com/jBw4fCu.gif

Comment

• ELVIS
                Banned
                • Dec 2003

Originally posted by FORD

So did you...

You had that gay Obomba avatar and everything...

He's a communist puppet and a better liar than Clinton and he deserves plenty of blame...

None of that is not leadership, it's ceremonial garbage...

There are barely no houses and there is NO left / right in Washington DC...

How can you still be falling for the lies twelve years post 911 ??

So even if Barry had in fact, tried to live up to his campaign promises, he would have had all that against him.

Like what, the "National Security Force" ??

He's working on it with the NSA, the TSA, the CIA, the FBI, google, facebook and the militarization of police...

But they didn't choose his cabinet pics. They didn't make an arrogant Liberal hating prick like Rahm Emanuel his chief of staff. Or put a MonSatan shill in charge of the Agriculture department. Or keep Chimpy's "defense" secretary. Or put the same Wall Street fucks who raped and pillaged the economy in charge of the treasury. Or appoint an alleged "Democrat" (Kagan) to the Supreme Court who was considerably to the right of the retiring REPUBLICAN she was replacing.... (who also BTW has had to recuse herself from about half the court cases, because she already appeared before a lower court in her previous job capacity as Solicitor General. Which is the appropriate thing for her to do, but it also is another reason why she was an awful choice for the Supremes)

You type this and you still wanna play left / right politics ??

It's not a game...

Yeah, but he suckered you in and you ate it like honey for the first two years...

You and millions of others voted for a young, well spoken, admitedly inexperienced, half black con-man mainly because, and in the case of most people, only because he was black...

People were gushing over the idea that it's time to vote for a black man and all sorts of worship like Chris Matthews grotesque fawning...

You got took...and so did I under Bush...

The only way to judge a man is by the content of his character, and we as Americans as a whole have no idea how to do that anymore...

Last edited by ELVIS; 08-24-2013, 09:56 AM.

Comment

• FORD
                  ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

I didn't vote for Barry because he was Black. I voted for him because he wasn't Hillary.

Only it turned out, he might as well have been

(which is why I didn't vote for him in 2012. And won't vote for her ever)
                  Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                    SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Originally posted by Dr. Love
                    I recall seeing some of that around here.

Too bad too many people are interested in voting against someone than voting for what they believe in. We don't have a 2 party system... we have a 1 party system. One party just seems to be a little more honest about how they are going to conduct business, and it ain't the Democrats.
                    I think the system sucks, but you can't say "they're all the same!" Al Gore wouldn't have taken us into Iraq...

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                      SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Elvis will be all better once we elect the next white, male clusterfuck of a Republican't....

Comment

• Kristy
                        DIAMOND STATUS
                        • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Seshmeister
                        No you don't. Libertardians are disillusioned Rethuglicans or rich Demobrats sick of having to pay taxes who love their guns more than their small penises. Libertardians see themselves as the more "educated" teabaggers because they drive a fucking hybrid and pay up $350 a ticket to go see shit like Sting. Most have worthless Master degrees in shit like political science. Libertardians absolutely hate the poor, the sick and disabled and the recalcitrant who stand in the the way of social change that doesn't gel with their warped views. Libertardianism is not some third wheel of the American political system that allocates for much of well...anything. Libertardians are paranoid, forge their own bourgeois brand of news, and most of all, Libertardians love war, not going to war themselves no, that's for the poor and highly religious to do but they love to make money off of it as they do America's ever increasing private prison system while hiding under the hypocritical veil of making drugs legal for all. Oh, and lastly Libertarians also say they are for small government providing of course government can instill all sorts of new regulations for every little god damn thing you do from sex to taking a shit. Fuck these people.

Comment

• Kristy
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Nickdfresh
                          I think the system sucks, but you can't say "they're all the same!" Al Gore wouldn't have taken us into Iraq...
                          Yes he would. Big oil, pharma, and the gun industry would own his sorry ass just like any other politician. Plus, if Gore was in office today our asses would be in Syria arming the next fresh batch of terrorism.

Comment

• Kristy
                            DIAMOND STATUS
                            • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Dr. Love
                            Mostly libertarians just want to be left alone and to leave others alone, but there are too many entrenched interests for that to happen without one hell of a fight.
                            Again, leave the dope smoking to us professionals. That, or see if you can get a brain MRI to see what in the fuck would make you say that.

Comment

• Kristy
                              DIAMOND STATUS
                              • Aug 2004

Here, here is how fucked-up, misinformed and fucking retarded your average Libertardian is all brought you by a cunt who makes Daffy Duck seem intelligible:

Comment

Working...