PDA

View Full Version : Roth on the Jim Florentine show

Keef
08-29-2013, 05:42 PM
If you have XM radio Roth is on answering questions :)

He said they are working, but it may be around 18 months for anything new.

Va Beach VH Fan
08-29-2013, 06:06 PM
You may be listening to this...

Va Beach VH Fan
08-29-2013, 06:10 PM
BTW, looks like Dave is on from about 43:00 'til the end....

Hardrock69
08-29-2013, 08:55 PM
Lol. This is fucking great. Man, look in the dictionary under the word "conversationalist", and you see Dave's photo. :hee:

damngoodtimes
08-29-2013, 10:39 PM
You may be listening to this...

Actually, Florentine did a separate interview with Dave for his (weekly?) show on XM's Boneyard channel called "Metal Midgets". Jim said he asked Dave after they did that O&A show the other day. It was on this afternoon and 3 or so more times over the weekend.

DLR Bridge
08-30-2013, 12:05 AM
He said they are working, but it may be around 18 months for anything new.

Dear Lord!! How much time was there in between the end of the Fair Warning tour and the Pretty Woman single, 18 days? Ok, exaggerate I must, but still.

No reason why they can't crank out a single as a hold over like Rush did with Caravan, then slide an album out down the road.

FORD
08-30-2013, 12:13 AM
The thing with the Pretty Woman single, and the Diver Down album, is that it wasn't supposed to happen at all.

The original plan was for Van Halen to release a live album from the Fair Warning tour and then they were going to take some time off from the studio. For whatever reason, that fell through and that left WB screaming at them for a record, and them not having time to have properly written one. Which is why you ended up with an album that was half cover songs, and even one of the originals being a resurrected track from 1976

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aofk9xs6gXI

Hardrock69
08-30-2013, 12:31 AM
Hmmm....learn something new every day. Man.....a live disc from the Fair Warning tour? That would EASILY have gone multi-platinum.

Hey....it's not too late! ;)

Zing!
08-30-2013, 08:00 AM
Damn - I don't want to have to wait 18 months for a new =VH= album... but I wasn't really expecting a follow-up to ADKOT, so this is good news, and after five seconds of thoughtful reflection, I'll gladly wait that long if it means we'll really get a new record!

DLR Bridge
08-30-2013, 08:29 AM
Sure you will. You know we'll be ripping our hair out 9 months in. It's all part of the sickness.

:pullinghair: Damn you Van Halen!!!

DLR Bridge
08-30-2013, 08:34 AM
...and even one of the originals being a resurrected track from 1976 (Last Night)

This song is part of my theory that Dave's early lyrics were sometimes his own take on another songs theme. This is his version of the Beatles No Reply.

VetteLS5
08-30-2013, 08:48 AM
The Sirius/XM page for Boneyard says that this will be re-broadcasted tomorrow at 1 ET as well as on Sunday and another day next week. Teaser says that "Dave revealed that he had been jamming recently with the band".

damngoodtimes
08-30-2013, 09:28 AM
Florentine didn't press Dave on this, but during Dave's long explanation of the 18 months thing most of it was about tour staging, album artwork, etc. I got the impression that the music part, while ongoing, was mostly done. Dave also didn't say where in the 18-month cycle we were or whether that cycle included the actual recording. Again, in the part I heard, Jim didn't press for more detail, so I'm just guessing here.

Dave did say he's been writing a lot of lyrics (I would assume that means the music's composed at least). He said he was at the studio just 2 or 3 days before he flew back out east for O&A and whatever else he's doing in NYC. Dave's tri-coastal now!

Anyway, I got the impression that the whole 18-month thing was a way to say, "hey, we've got a new record coming out, but please don't forget that we're on Van Halen time here, so don't get too excited yet."

Dave also talked about how not just the artwork and stagework, but every t-shirt design was all done in-house.

In the second segment they talked about his Tokyo Story short film. Dave said he actually plans to make a full length movie.

After that, I had to go, so I only heard about the first half.

DLR Bridge
08-30-2013, 09:35 AM
And an extra thanks on top of that thanks. I can't ever find the time to listen to these things these days.

WACF
08-30-2013, 12:09 PM
So you guys know...

Florentine's Metal Midgets is on Ozzy's Boneyard...on "On Demand"...it expires in 13 days on the online player.

Hardrock69
08-30-2013, 11:26 PM
Well, here is the great thing.......this is so fucking great.....I am listening to it again now....it is not even an "interview". It is just 3 friends hanging out and bullshitting for 3 hours....and that is what makes it really cool.

Dave talks about entertainment being real......can't get much more real than just some guys hanging talking about shit....

twobad
09-04-2013, 04:52 PM
maybe someone can record and post for those of us who don't get xm???
TIA,
-=T=-