X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • baru911
    Head Fluffer
    • Jun 2012

The Mavericks – The best band I’ve seen in the last 10 years

Not too long ago I had the opportunity to be backstage at a Mavericks’ concert. I’d never heard of them but backstage is backstage so I went. I extremely glad that I was invited. They are the best band I have seen in the last 10 years and very different from any band I've seen in the US. They do remind me of a couple of bands I've seen in Central America.

They put out a wall of sound that is very distinct. You can tell that they are professionals who really enjoy what they are doing and want their fans to have a GREAT time. Eddie Perez is a monster on the guitar. His notes are crisp and seemingly perfect. His solo went through EVH's Eruption, into fusion, out to country, and back to rock. The band even joined him for 1 chorus of La Bamba at one point during it. I wish I had a video of it. Raul is just a great singer. The horn section was on fire all night. Paul Deakin is maybe the loudest drummer I have heard and one of the best. The dude is scary good.

You can’t really label their sound. It is a blend of rock, old country, swing, and Latin. However, it is a powerful blend that gets you moving and brings a smile to your face.

If you get a chance to see them – GO! You won’t be disappointed.

BTW, after they cool down after the show they head back out and mingle with their fans. The talk with them, sign autographs, have photos taken with them, and even share adult beverages with them. That was pretty kwel to witness. They seem like they really enjoy them and don't limit the access that they can have.

Photos from the side of the stage.

Mavericks Live Side Stage 2 Eddie Perez.jpgMavericks Live Side Stage 1.jpg
    Last edited by baru911; 09-30-2013, 07:44 PM.
    Just remember boys and girls, to get Nick the Dick and his partner FORD off your porch when they come to your home you just need to pay them for the pizza.
  • baru911
    Head Fluffer
    • Jun 2012

Mavericks - Eddie's pedals resized.jpg
    Eddie Perez's pedals

Mavericks Drum set.jpg
    Just remember boys and girls, to get Nick the Dick and his partner FORD off your porch when they come to your home you just need to pay them for the pizza.

Comment

• Northern Girl
      Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

I remember the Mavericks from the 90's - What A Cryin' Shame - definitely country back then complete with twang and a bit of a sultry Roy Orbison feel.

Didn't know they were still around...
      Same ole song and dance...

Comment

• Kristy
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Aug 2004

Raul Malo has released some decent solo albums and the Mavericks have always been highly overlooked as musicians

Comment

• baru911
          Head Fluffer
          • Jun 2012

Originally posted by Kristy
          Raul Malo has released some decent solo albums and the Mavericks have always been highly overlooked as musicians
          I would agree as I'd never heard of these guys but am totally sold on them now. They are one hell of a band and treat their fans right!

Comment

• DrMaddVibe
            ROTH ARMY ELITE
            • Jan 2004

The Mavericks are a kick ass band...I had no idea they were still making new music though...they were on fire in the mid/late 90's and then disappeared. Glad you had an awesome time...nice pics!
            http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x...auders1zl5.gif
            http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c4...willywonka.gif

Comment

• envy_me
              Swedish Love Pump
              ROTH ARMY SUPREME
              • Dec 2010

My dad loves this band
              The heart is on the left. The blood is red.

Comment

• binnie
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • May 2006

Did you dance the night away?

(Sorry.................)
                The Power Of The Riff Compels Me

Comment

• High Life Man
                  Commando
                  • Jan 2004

Great band. Missed them this summer when they played Summerfest. Also missed Raul Malo's solo show a year or two ago.

Next time though, I'll see them. Great sound.

Comment

Working...