View Full Version : Latest Bass Player Interview

Pages : [1] 2

Va Beach VH Fan
10-28-2013, 10:32 PM
Nothing earth-shattering....

DrMaddVibe
10-29-2013, 07:10 AM
Nice guy. Genuinely, it shows.

You would've thought that he would've learned from Dave's mistakes. When you're in you stay in by doing NOTHING. He didn't though and he even went so far as to beat on Dave's tourbus during said tour because the hounding Spammy McGaygar was doing backstage was relentless..."C'mon Dave...will ya, will ya...will ya play with bassplayer and me onstage tonite...will ya?"...Even Dave knew that little taste would dilute the soup. Touching the hem of his garment sucked the mojo out of him so Dave stayed on the bus until showtime.

Love how Chickenshit has to go on hiatus when Chad is playing with his REAL band! LOLZ!!! You'd think the other cheeseballs wudda figured that out but they're not that bright! I mean c'mon...they let Spammy sing still!

As for the rest of the "interview"...wow...keep those skills sharp yo! Like be asking some questions that people DON'T already know the answers too! Fuck...ask him his dog's name, what's his daily driver what hobbies the guy has if all you're going to do is talk about the past yo! Like I said, he's an affable guy. Prolly gets abused because of his good nature and he's not very smart but damn dude...do something musically on your own. If Peavey is going out on a limb to give an open E-string diddler like yourself a signature model...fucking go out and use it!

VHscraps
10-29-2013, 08:25 AM
Nice guy. Genuinely, it shows.

You would've thought that he would've learned from Dave's mistakes. When you're in you stay in by doing NOTHING. He didn't though and he even went so far as to beat on Dave's tourbus during said tour because the hounding Spammy McGaygar was doing backstage was relentless..."C'mon Dave...will ya, will ya...will ya play with bassplayer and me onstage tonite...will ya?"...Even Dave knew that little taste would dilute the soup. Touching the hem of his garment sucked the mojo out of him so Dave stayed on the bus until showtime.

Love how Chickenshit has to go on hiatus when Chad is playing with his REAL band! LOLZ!!! You'd think the other cheeseballs wudda figured that out but they're not that bright! I mean c'mon...they let Spammy sing still!

As for the rest of the "interview"...wow...keep those skills sharp yo! Like be asking some questions that people DON'T already know the answers too! Fuck...ask him his dog's name, what's his daily driver what hobbies the guy has if all you're going to do is talk about the past yo! Like I said, he's an affable guy. Prolly gets abused because of his good nature and he's not very smart but damn dude...do something musically on your own. If Peavey is going out on a limb to give an open E-string diddler like yourself a signature model...fucking go out and use it!

It's a cliche by now, but Mike is a diamond geezer as we would say here.

I really liked the bit at the end when the interviewer asked what he would have done if he hadn't been a musician - "I was studying psychology ... and planning on working with mentally challenged children ..."

Er, I can think of one or two people who that might be a description for. Maybe, Mike, you achieved that dream without even realizing it!

Seshmeister
10-29-2013, 08:32 AM
MICHAEL ANTHONY Says WOLFGANG VAN HALEN Is 'A Great Musician'
Read more at http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/michael-anthony-says-wolfgang-van-halen-is-a-great-musician/#Sx7lFdTjckrBxGtW.99

For Bass Players Only's Jon Liebman conducted an interview with Michael Anthony (VAN HALEN, CHICKENFOOT) before a recent concert with Sammy Hagar in Michigan. You can now watch the chat above.

Asked about his thoughts on Wolfgang Van Halen replacing him as the bass player in VAN HALEN, Michael replied: "I think he's a great kid. I mean, obviously, I've known him since he was born. He's a great musician. He's a great bass player. He plays drums, guitar, bass and sings. His dad, Ed, wanted his son to play with him, so, you know, that's, you know, totally great. I mean, I found out that he was going to be playing bass [in VAN HALEN] with everybody else… when they did their press conference. I wished him luck in a couple interviews I did, and hopefully he read those."

Asked about VAN HALEN singer David Lee Roth's interview with Rolling Stone magazine in which the frontman said he wanted Anthony back in the band, the bassist told "Eddie Trunk Live" back in April: "It was flattering to hear Dave talk like that. He never used to talk like that when we were all playing together. [laughs] But hey… I really don't know what to say to that. It was flattering that he said that. And, obviously, I'm the kind of guy that… water under the bridge. I don't hold any kind of grudges for anything, and you never know what will happen at anytime…. At this point in your life and career and whatever, the career aside, it's more about the friendship and just people. And if the music side of it, if that happens, if that comes about, all the better, but that's not what it's really about at this point."

During the Rolling Stone interview, Roth touched upon the touchy subject of Anthony replacing current bassist — and Eddie Van Halen's son — Wolfgang Van Halen, from here on out. "But Ed has his own vision, I'm assuming," Roth said. "We haven't really been able to speak about it and it's a disappointment, just as not having a chance for a reunion of the original band. Clearly, vocals are every bit as much a component of success as a rhythm section or a guitar solo. . . what we have at our fingertips is arguably one of the greatest high tenor voices ever — that was in Michael Anthony. In our tiny little corner of the universe, that voice is as identifiable as the high voice in EARTH, WIND & FIRE, as identifiable as the high voice in the BEACH BOYS. VAN HALEN is an indelicate house blend of both — that's intentionally."

Anthony and Hagar both last played with VAN HALEN on a 2004 reunion tour that ended acrimoniously. Both maintain that Anthony was booted from VAN HALEN for maintaining a friendship and working relationship with Hagar.

Hagar told The Pulse Of Radio that he thinks VAN HALEN made a grave mistake leaving Anthony out of the reunion tour with Roth. "Anyone in their right mind would know if you're gonna get Roth back finally! after all these abortions they've had, you get Mikey and you do the reunion tour, what the world really was waiting for. Not just fuck it up again. It's almost like they don't care about their fans. They just want to badger them until — see how much they'll take."

Seshmeister
10-29-2013, 08:34 AM
Hagar told The Pulse Of Radio that he thinks VAN HALEN made a grave mistake leaving Anthony out of the reunion tour with Roth. "Anyone in their right mind would know if you're gonna get Roth back finally! after all these abortions they've had, you get Mikey and you do the reunion tour, what the world really was waiting for. Not just fuck it up again. "

Finally we agree. It's absolutely brilliant that Hagar now admits his time in the band was an abortion and a fuck up!

DrMaddVibe
10-29-2013, 09:13 AM
It's a cliche by now, but Mike is a diamond geezer as we would say here.

I really liked the bit at the end when the interviewer asked what he would have done if he hadn't been a musician - "I was studying psychology ... and planning on working with mentally challenged children ..."

Er, I can think of one or two people who that might be a description for. Maybe, Mike, you achieved that dream without even realizing it!

There's nothing "diamond" by hitching your wagon to a douchebag like Spammy McGaygar...listen back to that interview...Spammy brings him out to play some cheese so Mona can catch a break...bassplayer isn't even a real member in HIS band either!

He needs to just fix sprinkler heads and leave the bass heads alone!

twonabomber
10-29-2013, 09:24 AM
Really, what's he gonna say? "Yeah, that kid sucks."

Wait...maybe MA posts here?

chuckjitsu
10-29-2013, 09:41 AM
If Ed can patch it up with Dave, then Mike should be a piece of cake in comparison. One call from Ed to Mike and Mike's back in. But, that's the rub- Ed and his grudge ain't picking up the phone. Ironically enough, it'd probably take Wolfgang getting in Ed's ear to get it done, so who knows.

Man up Ed and give Mike the call- he won't be busy!

DrMaddVibe
10-29-2013, 09:55 AM
Well..until January at least...then bassplayer is in the studio working on new Chickenshit songs.

DLR Bridge
10-29-2013, 09:56 AM
Yup. The big W holds the cards. Him breaking away would help. Not so sure he's ready to leave the nest yet, though. :biggrin:

VHscraps
10-29-2013, 10:07 AM
There's nothing "diamond" by hitching your wagon to a douchebag like Spammy McGaygar...listen back to that interview...Spammy brings him out to play some cheese so Mona can catch a break...bassplayer isn't even a real member in HIS band either!

He needs to just fix sprinkler heads and leave the bass heads alone!

Maybe throwing in his lot with Sammy was not the best thing he coulda done - that is true. But the dude just wanted to play.

And back then, in the post-divorce period when Ed looked like he was really sinking to the bottom, an 'extended hiatus' is a mild description of how fucked up Van Halen was.

But, as you said - he shoulda just cut a solo album. Got together with some friends who were not Sammy Hagar and see what he could come up with.

Von Halen
10-29-2013, 10:23 AM
Why can't Wolf just play rhythm guitar if Ed has to have him in the band?

TJMKID
10-29-2013, 10:24 AM

LOL ---you hit the nail in the head.

:cheer:

Kristy
10-29-2013, 10:26 AM
He's nothing more than a F A T fucking sellout. A rich kid with a P.A. who never did an honest day work in his life. He's a mediocre musician at best and I wish a pox upon his soul.

Never was
10-29-2013, 10:27 AM
Not sure about the Wolfie bumping out makes sense. Mikey was removed from the Van Halen partnership I believe in 1995 and was an employee since. So issues were pre the Hagar tour and not Wolfie related. He was not part of the 2004 tour plans originally and only added when it was clear he was needed to finalize the negotiation so everyone got their checks. Why he acts surprise about teaming up w Sammy would be viewed as it was is baffling, hell even Roth knew to keep his distance and not jeopardize a potential gig. Then not reaching out to brothers when their mom died when the entire Roth family did really cemented his faith and made it personal. Mikey is probably the most genuine in the whole group but he can't be with the brothers for 30 years and then be surprised they reacted that way.

I agree it is a fence that would be great to be mended but he is either dumb as a door or just not being honest neither gets much sympathy from me.

Never was
10-29-2013, 10:29 AM
Why can't Mike wear a dress and be a back up singer since Wolfie actually plays bass better

I'm sure Sammy a dress his size.

Kristy
10-29-2013, 10:31 AM
And you're a god damn fool to ever want to buy/try his rat poison hot sauce. Fuck him.

TJMKID
10-29-2013, 10:33 AM
Yup. The big W holds the cards. Him breaking away would help. Not so sure he's ready to leave the nest yet, though. :biggrin:

Wolfie just seems like a spoiled 22 yr. old baby. Very immature and afraid to say anything that might get his Daddy's panties in a wad.

If Wolf wants to grow a pair and start acting like an adult --- he needs to push out a Facebook post where he clearly states how much Mike Anthony means to the history of Van Halen and that's why he needs to come back for one last reunion tour of the ORIGINAL lineup.

Wolf can hang on as "rhythm bassist" for this reunion tour so he can still collect a small paycheck and make his Daddy happy that he's employed and not spending all his time at In 'N Out Burger.

DLR Bridge
10-29-2013, 12:19 PM
Spoiled? Sure. Immature? I dunno. He seems more level headed than the adults that surround him at times. I just wish he was able to do an interview with some more difficult or uncomfortable questions being asked. You just know the interviewers are prepped on what's on the no-no-list.

I like to ask him what he thought of Sammy shitting on his Dad and actually saying that he (Wolf) ran crying into Sammy's dressing room one night in'04. I'd also like him to outline his favorite Michael Anthony contributions to Van Halen. You can't tell me he doesn't have one.

Angel
10-29-2013, 12:31 PM
I find him to be immature but level headed.

DrMaddVibe
10-29-2013, 12:54 PM
Spoiled? Sure. Immature? I dunno. He seems more level headed than the adults that surround him at times. I just wish he was able to do an interview with some more difficult or uncomfortable questions being asked. You just know the interviewers are prepped on what's on the no-no-list.

I like to ask him what he thought of Sammy shitting on his Dad and actually saying that he (Wolf) ran crying into Sammy's dressing room one night in'04. I'd also like him to outline his favorite Michael Anthony contributions to Van Halen. You can't tell me he doesn't have one.

Totally agree...I'd LOVE to actually have someone from Howard Stern's show...seems like he's the only one that can get past all the handlers AND have the balls to get tossed after the fact...ask some tough questions.

Wolfie has GOT to have a couple of fave riffs of bassplayer's...there's the open e-string slide...the now infamous bass solos...the warbling screams...gotta be something there for him to like!

All kidding aside...I really liked the 6 albums they made...I can't think of another band that put 6 out there from the beginning that can hold that much weight in Rock...but the Spammy love ended it all for me personally in regards to Anthony. It was just sick to witness the Monsters of Rock concert to see THE might Van Halen reduced to such dangerous lows...then to keep it down...like they were actually trying to kill the golden goose...it was just sad. Now? So much time in between tours and recording that they're becoming irrelevant to the Music World again that it begs the question...Why include David Lee Roth and Wolfgang if that was all the brothers were going to do? I was content to seeing the DLR Band more than once a year on tour and hearing what he was doing in the studio. If all they're going to do is rehash stuff from the vaults why bother? Cut Dave loose and give him his due. It's GOTTA be killing a guy like him to NOT perform in front of an audience...Dave NEVER dialed in a bad show in regards to CVH material...he gave it it's due and in some cases expanded on it by giving us the backstory. I'd really like to see more of Wolfie's input...I thought for his age he did a STELLAR job up there and he did everything bassplayer could do and built on it with his own flair. Hell, give the kid a song where he's the lead vocal...I don't care anymore...JUST DO SOMETHING!!!

Time's a wastin'!

DLR Bridge
10-29-2013, 01:45 PM
Dave's not chained to the machine. He could cut himself loose (again) if he wanted to. I agree that he is the type to go stir crazy from inactivity, but at this stage in his life, he seems quite comfortable filling his down time with projects that don't involve getting out on the stage in front of people.

WARF
10-29-2013, 01:56 PM
Michael Anthony is the only TRUE bass player for Van Halen!

Kristy
10-29-2013, 02:18 PM
Yes he is. Too bad he is such a dick.

FORD
10-29-2013, 02:23 PM
...who can't extract his head from Sammy Hagar's cheese clogged ass.

FORD
10-29-2013, 02:31 PM

Maybe if Tremonti had asked him to join Creed, rather than just his sideline gig.

Not that I would consider Creed a good band, but Wolf seems to be a fan, and a friend to those guys.

Never was
10-29-2013, 02:37 PM
There's an assumption that the band is inactive now, I wouldn't assume that. Nothing happens fast for this band but I believe there is more activity than perceived.

DLR Bridge
10-29-2013, 02:48 PM
There's an assumption that the band is inactive now, I wouldn't assume that. Nothing happens fast for this band but I believe there is more activity than perceived.

Agreed. I just parused a Sammy interview in Classic Rock magazine w/ Alter Bridge on the cover. Not only is Ched talking more trash, but he states that the Van Halens rejected his offer to do a song with him on what would have been a career spanning Anthology (whoopee) hence, it's just "...and friends". His intent was to play with all the people he has played with in previous bands, that's why you've got Schon, Carmassi, Satch etc. washing dishes on there. It's a good sign that the brothers told him to go pound sand up his ass. The fuck even said he went easy on Ed in his book. He just keeps getting classier.

DLR Bridge
10-29-2013, 04:09 PM
Maybe if Tremonti had asked him to join Creed, rather than just his sideline gig.

Not that I would consider Creed a good band, but Wolf seems to be a fan, and a friend to those guys.

Yeah, I think things might just go Mike's way if that were to happen.

VAiN
10-29-2013, 10:13 PM
Wolfie has GOT to have a couple of fave riffs of bassplayer's...there's the open e-string slide...the now infamous bass solos...the warbling screams...gotta be something there for him to like!

Thank you, this one made me lose it. Well done!

DrMaddVibe
10-29-2013, 10:22 PM
I try!

fryingdutchman
10-30-2013, 06:19 AM

Just wait....

If Wolf has the chops that everyone claims he has, it won't be too long until he wants to go out and create his own music and his own legacy. Any musician who is as versatile and talented as Wolf apparently is (based on MA's comments amongst others) does not want to be forever known as the "replacement bass player" in any band....even if it is the mighty Van Halen.

I maintain a slim hope that MA's return is imminent.

fryingdutchman
10-30-2013, 06:22 AM
He's nothing more than a F A T fucking sellout. A rich kid with a P.A. who never did an honest day work in his life. He's a mediocre musician at best and I wish a pox upon his soul.

Damn...that's harsh.

I think a proper rogering would sort you out.

:biggrin:

DavidLeeNatra
10-30-2013, 07:00 AM
Just wait....

If Wolf has the chops that everyone claims he has, it won't be too long until he wants to go out and create his own music and his own legacy. Any musician who is as versatile and talented as Wolf apparently is (based on MA's comments amongst others) does not want to be forever known as the "replacement bass player" in any band....even if it is the mighty Van Halen.

I kindly disagree...wolfie is the key to everything here. I guess in the first place he is a son who loves his father and wants to save his dad's life. he experienced what a fragile human being his dad is/was. and the only way to keep him on track is to surround him. and btw...why play 200 seaters when you can play sellout arenas with uncle dave and uncle alex?

vandeleur
10-30-2013, 07:15 AM
I buy into some of that , we give wolf short change on here , maybe his biggest credits on the album should have been motivator of his dad.
We don't know this but bet its not far off , no wolf , no Dave , no adkot.
Not sure mike is ever coming back , even if wolf left .
Mike never gave Dave much love and sounds like he fucked up any thing he had with the sisters .

Here are options for ya ..

Option a . Dave , the sisters ,billy Sheehan or a n other bass player .
Option b. mike the sisters and mike brings his cockknocker buddy .

Any one picking option b .. The exits are here , here and here .

Oh option c . The classic line up :biggrin:

DLR Bridge
10-30-2013, 08:22 AM

I know your kidding, but seriously, Wolf is there because of his Dad, not because he's an improvement. Wolf's playing is decent, but he also plays like any other guitar to bass convert I've heard before. He starts off every show and ends virtually every song live with lead guitar runs. Mike played (plays) bass. Listen to his playing on the first 3 VH albums. There are walking bass lines that had a powerful attack. I particularly liked his loose playing on WACF, but based on his simplified style on Fair Warning and after, Ed probably thought it was too much going on and shut him down. Probably the first concession he made in order to keep his job. He clearly brings it live in the 3 Oakland '81 videos. As far as vocals go, Dave couldn't have said it better. A totally integral part of the identifiable sound of classic Van Halen. Mike has earned my respect for what he did in my favorite band. Perhaps Wolf will earn mine someday as he fronts his own band, but for now, as good as he's been, the job belongs to Mike.

DLR Bridge
10-30-2013, 08:29 AM
Option a . Dave , the sisters ,billy Sheehan or a n other bass player .
Option b. mike the sisters and mike brings his cockknocker buddy .

Any one picking option b .. The exits are here , here and here .

Oh option c . The classic line up :biggrin:

I'd say that option C's chances are far greater than option B's. Option A? Last we heard, Billy wants Mike back in the band.

It's all about burying hatchets at this point. Mike was harmless compared to Dave and he made it back in.

But like Dutch said, chances are slim of a Mike return, but not out of the realm of possibility.

fryingdutchman
10-30-2013, 08:36 AM
I kindly disagree...wolfie is the key to everything here. I guess in the first place he is a son who loves his father and wants to save his dad's life. he experienced what a fragile human being his dad is/was. and the only way to keep him on track is to surround him. and btw...why play 200 seaters when you can play sellout arenas with uncle dave and uncle alex?

If this was 2007/08 Natra, I would be on board with you. Back then Ed was a shell of his former self and the only path to revelation and redemption was through his family...in particular, his son.

But in 2013 Ed has 6+ years of sobriety under his belt, he's happily married, he's been through a life-threatening medical condition, and he has his hands in multiple business ventures. He's no longer the shirtless bum with holes in his shoes crafting shitty soundtracks for low budget porn flicks.

Wolf WAS the key to everything a few years ago....but I don't think that's still the case. If Wolf wanted to go his own way I think Ed would be happy for him and not necessarily close the book on Classic Van Halen with Mike back in the fold.

I believe the acclaim surrounding ADKOT reassured Ed that he's still viable and he doesn't need to be jumpstarted by his kid anymore.

I give Wolf full credit for resurrecting Van Halen with Roth. But I don't think the empire hinges on him the way it did 6 years ago.

You don't need to look far on YouTube to find videos of the vitriol that was spit from both sides between Roth and the Van Halens. If they could make peace with Roth, they could make peace with anybody. Mike Anthony is a far less intimidating presence than Roth...I thoroughly agree with DLRBridge in that assessment.

Va Beach VH Fan
10-30-2013, 08:43 AM
If this was 2007/08 Natra, I would be on board with you. Back then Ed was a shell of his former self and the only path to revelation and redemption was through his family...in particular, his son.

But in 2013 Ed has 6+ years of sobriety under his belt, he's happily married, he's been through a life-threatening medical condition, and he has his hands in multiple business ventures. He's no longer the shirtless bum with holes in his shoes crafting shitty soundtracks for low budget porn flicks.

Wolf WAS the key to everything a few years ago....but I don't think that's still the case. If Wolf wanted to go his own way I think Ed would be happy for him and not necessarily close the book on Classic Van Halen with Mike back in the fold.

I believe the acclaim surrounding ADKOT reassured Ed that he's still viable and he doesn't need to be jumpstarted by his kid anymore.

I give Wolf full credit for resurrecting Van Halen with Roth. But I don't think the empire hinges on him the way it did 6 years ago.

You don't need to look far on YouTube to find videos of the vitriol that was spit from both sides between Roth and the Van Halens. If they could make peace with Roth, they could make peace with anybody. Mike Anthony is a far less intimidating presence than Roth...I thoroughly agree with DLRBridge in that assessment.

I would tend to agree...

Regardless of MA not being the bass player, non-fanatic VH fans have heard the hits with Dave at the mike for two tours now....

While I think one day MA will get back up there, if even a short time period, I really think it'll only make a difference to us dipshits.....

fryingdutchman
10-30-2013, 08:44 AM

One last thing Natra...

If your outlook is correct and Wolf still remains the key to everything for Ed to function, that doesn't mean he has to stay or would want to stay.

Ed being resistant to change doesn't mean that Wolf has to stay dormant. If VH doesn't remain active and viable I don't see Wolf wasting the best musical years of his life sitting around waiting and hoping for things to happen.

If you had the choice in your early 20's what would you do?

1. Sit around and wait for your dad to do something? (with the possibility of nothing ever happening for years)
2. Go out, make your own band, rock your own music, and eat every pussy from sea to shining sea?

I think most would take option number 2.

vandeleur
10-30-2013, 08:50 AM
He did do option two tho , he toured Europe with tremonti , he can have his cake and eat it .
Though I do think your right that ed now is in a much better place than in 2007.

Though I am curious to wether ed would have gone as heavy on adkot without wolfs more modern less cheese opinions .

ELVIS
10-30-2013, 10:38 AM

What ?!?!?

:rolleyes:

ELVIS
10-30-2013, 10:39 AM
:puking-smiley:

ELVIS
10-30-2013, 10:40 AM
:stop:

ELVIS
10-30-2013, 10:41 AM
:jaw::jaw:

ELVIS
10-30-2013, 10:42 AM

Kristy
10-30-2013, 02:33 PM
Damn...that's harsh.

I think a proper rogering would sort you out.

I don't care. He's a major reason for fucking up 'da Halen.

78/84 guy
10-30-2013, 03:16 PM
I don't care. He's a major reason for fucking up 'da Halen.

You don't care is right. Why are you on here anyway ? You don't even like the band.

CVH Rulz
10-30-2013, 09:06 PM
If you had the choice in your early 20's what would you do?

1. Sit around and wait for your dad to do something? (with the possibility of nothing ever happening for years)
2. Go out, make your own band, rock your own music, and eat every pussy from sea to shining sea?

I think most would take option number 2.

Not if the band is Van Fucking Halen!

Nitro Express
10-31-2013, 05:43 AM
Yes he is. Too bad he is such a dick.

Mike never got out of touch with what was important to the fans. A lot of people in his shoes take the fans for granted. Mike always seemed to know people paid a lot of money and drove a long way in to see them He was the most fan friendly member in that band. Yeah he can be cheesy, goofy but listen to Fair Warning and some of the old stuff. He laid down some tasty bass funk.

fryingdutchman
10-31-2013, 07:39 AM
Not if the band is Van Fucking Halen!

OK...fair enough.

But is it really Van Fucking Halen with only 3/4 of the original lineup?

A question for the ages, to be sure....

fraroc
10-31-2013, 08:59 AM
OK...fair enough.

But is it really Van Fucking Halen with only 3/4 of the original lineup?

A question for the ages, to be sure....

Now instead of two Van Halens it's three Van Halens

fryingdutchman
10-31-2013, 10:36 AM

One of which had absolutely nothing to do with crafting the legendary six pack that produced the classic songs the band focused on 95% of the time over their last two tours....

chuckjitsu
10-31-2013, 10:44 AM
Mike never got out of touch with what was important to the fans. A lot of people in his shoes take the fans for granted. Mike always seemed to know people paid a lot of money and drove a long way in to see them.

Exactly right. I remember reading an article where he spoke of his involvement in the train wreck of a tour in 2004. He said he basically did that tour for the fans as he was basically a salaried employee on that tour thanks to the brothers and as we all know, that tour wasn't exactly a positive experience for anybody.

Seshmeister
10-31-2013, 11:19 AM
I've never bought the 'I only did a shit tour for the fans'. If it was about the fans then he would have announced that Ed wasn't up to it said he was pulling out and that fans shouldn't waste their money.

He should just be honest and admit he did it for the money.

fryingdutchman
10-31-2013, 11:41 AM
I've never bought the 'I only did a shit tour for the fans'. If it was about the fans then he would have announced that Ed wasn't up to it said he was pulling out and that fans shouldn't waste their money.

Meh...I bought it and still do. He didn't need any money in 2004....and I doubt he needs it now.

I believe he saw Ed's condition, thought that he was probably on the road to death, and so he willingly took a big bite of a shit sandwich just to do it one last time.

MA would never publicly announce that Ed was a fucked up, wasted, ticking time bomb. That's never been his style.....ever.

Von Halen
10-31-2013, 11:50 AM
Meh...I bought it and still do. He didn't need any money in 2004....and I doubt he needs it now.

I believe he saw Ed's condition, thought that he was probably on the road to death, and so he willingly took a big bite of a shit sandwich just to do it one last time.

MA would never publicly announce that Ed was a fucked up, wasted, ticking time bomb. That's never been his style.....ever.

It's not a "need" of more money, but a want. Why wouldn't he do it? He got paid. I agree with Sesh to an extent, but I believe he did it for the fans and the money.

Actually, Mike said just this week on Stern, that Ed was a fucked up, wasted, ticking time bomb. Maybe not in those exact words, but he and Clichegar both reiterated just how bad off Ed was at that time. Neither of them did it in a vicious way, but an honest way. That was a scary time for Edward Van Halen. He could have easily ended up like any one of the other dead rock stars.

fraroc
10-31-2013, 12:29 PM

Honestly, I don't think it was entirely for the money. In his delusional state, Ed must have thought that going on tour=the magic is back, even if it was with Sam. It's no secret that Eddie Van Halen was in absolutely NO shape to go on tour in 2004. Hell he was on the brink of dying, yet he did anyway.

DaveSUCKSLive
10-31-2013, 01:18 PM
Honestly, I don't think it was entirely for the money. In his delusional state, Ed must have thought that going on tour=the magic is back, even if it was with Sam. It's no secret that Eddie Van Halen was in absolutely NO shape to go on tour in 2004. Hell he was on the brink of dying, yet he did anyway.

Ed must still be in his delusional state if he thinks his current singer was in shape to go on the 2012 tour.

FORD
10-31-2013, 01:28 PM
Oh look.... Bleater/Santa's Douche has a new alias...... :rolleyes:

fraroc
10-31-2013, 01:35 PM
Ed must still be in his delusional state if he thinks his current singer was in shape to go on the 2012 tour.

:shagsheep:

now do the 5150 walk outta here.

Va Beach VH Fan
10-31-2013, 02:04 PM
Think this is the one Von is referring to:

Nitro Express
10-31-2013, 03:20 PM

If Mike just did it for the money he would be an asshole to the fans. I've met two members of Van Halen. One being Alex Van Halen who was nice enough but he was avoiding people and you could tell he really didn't like mingling. The other was Mike. Mike loved to hang around and talk. No attitude, he was like a good buddy hanging around shooting the shit. That's Michael Anthony. He really does like the fans. Alex wanted to grab his food and dash back to the band's dressing rooms.

Also during a Van Halen show the party is over on Mike's side of the stage. It's like come on over and have a drink! If you even think about going over to Ed's side of the stage his people will say "get the hell out of here!" It's like a sacred temple full of stuff you plebians are not worthy of or there is some secret recipe they are gaurding. You will never see the road crew over at Ed's. They are over at Mike's. That pretty much sums up what Mike is all about.

BumBahDeeDah
11-01-2013, 01:59 AM
Fuck these guys.

Jérôme Frenchise
11-01-2013, 06:45 AM
Well, I still won't check the hot sauce nor Chickenpoo, but MA obviously sounds like "good pasta", as the French say.

He keeps turning his head to listen to the interviewer with his right ear, the left one surely being kind of deaf with CVH's loudness on stage.

fryingdutchman
11-01-2013, 07:26 AM

So it's basically Van Hanson?

http://theykid.com/wp-content/thumbnails/hanson.jpg

fryingdutchman
11-01-2013, 07:28 AM
It's not a "need" of more money, but a want. Why wouldn't he do it? He got paid. I agree with Sesh to an extent, but I believe he did it for the fans and the money.

Actually, Mike said just this week on Stern, that Ed was a fucked up, wasted, ticking time bomb. Maybe not in those exact words, but he and Clichegar both reiterated just how bad off Ed was at that time. Neither of them did it in a vicious way, but an honest way. That was a scary time for Edward Van Halen. He could have easily ended up like any one of the other dead rock stars.

I hear ya Von. I should have clarified and said that MA would not have done it at the time. He certainly is no stranger to making his feelings known after the fact....but he wouldn't have sabotaged the tour by speaking out before or during.

Of course, that draws his motives back into question. Did he keep quiet at the time for the money? Or for the fans? I think it leans more towards the fans.

DLR Bridge
11-01-2013, 08:42 AM
He clarifies a bit in the forward he (shouldn't have) wrote for Sam's trash novel of a life story.

Heater
11-01-2013, 09:04 AM
Oh look.... Bleater/Santa's Douche has a new alias...... :rolleyes:

Nope. I'm still using this one.

fryingdutchman
11-01-2013, 09:45 AM
Nope. I'm still using this one.

Guess it's just a coincidence that you hadn't jumped into this thread until now.

Y'know...when you stopped in to check and see if anyone called you out on your alias.....

Heater
11-01-2013, 02:11 PM
Yeah, that must be it. Or, just MAYBE, I saw that witty FRauD refer to me and I was compelled to reply.

PETE'S BROTHER
11-01-2013, 02:12 PM
naahhhhh

FORD
11-01-2013, 02:21 PM
Just keep banging your head against the wall, Bleater.......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vN1I4buxpuY

Heater
11-01-2013, 02:42 PM
Just keep banging your head against the wall, Bleater.......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vN1I4buxpuY

Shouldnt you be starting a thread about how many times you've been to LAX?

FORD
11-01-2013, 03:12 PM
Actually, I don't think I've ever been "TO" LAX. Though I have been through there a few times on the way to Tucson... just long enough to get off one plane and on another.

And making jokes about a violent shooting, that's low.... even for a sheep like you.

Heater
11-01-2013, 04:32 PM
Actually, I don't think I've ever been "TO" LAX. Though I have been through there a few times on the way to Tucson... just long enough to get off one plane and on another.

And making jokes about a violent shooting, that's low.... even for a sheep like you.

I didn't make a joke about it at all. I see you couldn't help telling us you have been "through" there anyway. How long until you start with the updates from the scene?

FORD
11-02-2013, 12:22 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCRE9qOgbug

Terry
11-02-2013, 12:14 PM
Just wait....

I'm doubtful that Anthony's participation would have made much of a difference in Van Halen from 2007 onward in terms of the overall sound...maybe a bit more oomph in the background vocal department. Obviously, it would have been a full-fledged CVH reunion, and I certainly would have liked to have seen that happen.
The thing of it is, I think it took Wolfgang to kind of wake his dad up to the notion that he should get back together with Dave. As mentioned in another post, Anthony being curtailed within the group in terms of a lower cut of the profits and Ed overdubbing bass parts - these things happened well before Wolfgang was even of an age to be seriously considered as a replacement. By the time the 2004 tour rolled around, Anthony was in essence a hired hand who was only there at Hagar's insistence.
Going forward, it's not like Anthony's gonna rejoin and suddenly Ed's gonna play any better, or Dave's gonna sing any better. And Anthony doesn't write, so it's not like a ton of great new song ideas will be brought into the mix by him being around. I will say that Wolfgang looked uneasy on the road in 2007/2008, but on the last tour that kid was knocking it out of the park. Wolfgang also has what Anthony no longer has: the ability to influence his father to drag long-dormant CVH deep tracks out for a live airing. Anthony doesn't have any influence with Ed: if Anthony rejoined, it'd be as if Eddie was doing him a courtesy (at least that's the way I think Eddie would look at it).
I hate to say it, because I really did want to see the CVH lineup back together for a long time...well, no, I don't hate to say it: Wolfgang has given Van Halen an extended lease on life that Anthony just couldn't. Wolfgang's influence obviously results solely from him being Ed's kid, but that's what it took in the end to get Roth back and get things moving again.
I suppose I'm not as adamant that Anthony is a vital component to the band's future because I really don't have many expectations for Van Halen's future. ADKOT was a good album. The Van Halens can still deliver. Roth's live vocal approach now is a bit odd. 3/4s of the band is a bit too long in the tooth to foster any real expectations of a return to the zenith of their creative and performance peak of thirty years ago. About all I expect from them is passable nostalgia, and within that criteria Wolfgang works well enough. If Anthony is there instead, there may be a bit more credibility in terms of authenticity, but there wouldn't be a quantum leap in terms of ability or quality.

Heater
11-02-2013, 12:50 PM
You doubt having Mike there would do much for their overall sound? His backing vocals are sorely missed, now more than ever given how Roth is doing these days. Maybe Wolfgang is the only one who can suggest what songs to do but then that just speaks to how the band is really a dictatorship now. Roth isnt going to make any waves, he doesnt want to lose the spotlight again, his weird Tweets and movie "trailer" reek of neediness. Mike not being there is a bigger deal than anybody wants to admit, despite Wolfgang "hitting it out of the park", is he really? Nope.
FRauD, your beastiality tendencies are worrisome. But, to each his own.

78/84 guy
11-02-2013, 12:58 PM
Well said Terry. Some of the best posts on here are yours. I put this one right up there. If Mike was in the band back in 07 that would have created more of a buzz for sure about a reunion, but overall it wouldn't have changed what's been going on with the band the last 5 years. It would have looked better on stage and the backup vocals would be better. The kid is a good singer but not Mike. Personally I prefer Wolf's freight train bass sound live than Mikes basic approach. Wolf paid his dues last tour so I'm fine with him. What VH needs too worry about at this point is Dave getting his voice back if they plan too play a few more years on the road.

Terry
11-02-2013, 01:19 PM
Well said Terry. Some of the best posts on here are yours. I put this one right up there. If Mike was in the band back in 07 that would have created more of a buzz for sure about a reunion, but overall it wouldn't have changed what's been going on with the band the last 5 years. It would have looked better on stage and the backup vocals would be better. The kid is a good singer but not Mike. Personally I prefer Wolf's freight train bass sound live than Mikes basic approach. Wolf paid his dues last tour so I'm fine with him. What VH needs too worry about at this point is Dave getting his voice back if they plan too play a few more years on the road.

In '07 Wolfgang did look out of place, but he's assimilated into the band well. I'd certainly agree that going forward it's gonna be Dave's voice that'll be the key. Seeing them last year, Dave...he just started looking and sounding every bit of his nearly 60 years, you know? It was the first time I've seen the dude live where I was, frankly, a bit disconcerted with what he was doing. I mean, I'm seeing this aging guy doing this slip 'n slide shuffle on his center-stage dance mat, yelling out verses in a strained voice and the differences between Dave in 2007/2008 and 2012 were just too stark not to notice...it all left me with a feeling that if this is what Van Halen are gonna be doing going forward, I'm not gonna want to pay premium ticket prices to see it. I suppose it's because CVH represented the sound and fury of youth, and that's not really something that was ever meant to age well, you know? I dunno. They've got nothing left to prove, and there's something to be said for having a dignified exit: it'd be a shame if Van Halen ends up being one of those bands that hung around too long and sort of withered away in a whimpery shadow of their former selves. There's enough aging rock acts out there doing that already - Van Halen doesn't need to be one of them.

saint
11-02-2013, 01:21 PM
Think this is the one Von is referring to:

3 times this interview gets interesting:
1 when MA gets the question if he today would rejoin Van Halen, And Spammy goes all ape shit about how good MA and his life is right now and that they don't need Van Halen, and you get the feeling that MA would join in a sec if he got the question, but keeps quiet not to upset Spammy.
2. When Howard asks about the business side of Spammy and how he fucked the rest of the Van Halens (including MA) on the Cabo deal, and Spammy gets really uncomfortable with Mike being one of them cut out of the millions he eventually made, and rambles on about how he and MA never had an argument about anything and what a sweet guy MA is...
3. When Howard ask about how MA was cut out of the publishing since the brothers thought he did not contribute, so after the F.U.C.K album he was no longer credited . And Spammy says MA in the end of the day did real well and has him self is to blame for loosing the publishing rigths and that MA actually made 30 - 40 millions from HIS song writing.

To me MA seems to be a really nice guy careless just happy to be there, And Spammy is a backstabbing son of a bitch

fraroc
11-02-2013, 02:08 PM
3 times this interview gets interesting:
1 when MA gets the question if he today would rejoin Van Halen, And Spammy goes all ape shit about how good MA and his life is right now and that they don't need Van Halen, and you get the feeling that MA would join in a sec if he got the question, but keeps quiet not to upset Spammy.
2. When Howard asks about the business side of Spammy and how he fucked the rest of the Van Halens (including MA) on the Cabo deal, and Spammy gets really uncomfortable with Mike being one of them cut out of the millions he eventually made, and rambles on about how he and MA never had an argument about anything and what a sweet guy MA is...
3. When Howard ask about how MA was cut out of the publishing since the brothers thought he did not contribute, so after the F.U.C.K album he was no longer credited . And Spammy says MA in the end of the day did real well and has him self is to blame for loosing the publishing rigths and that MA actually made 30 - 40 millions from HIS song writing.

To me MA seems to be a really nice guy careless just happy to be there, And Spammy is a backstabbing son of a bitch

This 100%

You know, I could forgive the Van Hagar years in terms of music, but now I would never listen to another Van Hagar song unless I had to. I don't hate Sammy because he replaced Dave, I hate Sammy because he is a fucking no-good, victim playing, backstabbing piece of shit who doesn't know his asshole from a hole in the ground in interviews. He always says that he wants to be friends with Eddie again and in the same breath calls him a drunk piece of shit. Selling tequila while his bandmate and supposed "friend" was nigh dying a slow death due to alcoholism was a fucking one-way ticket to "no-classville". To all the :shagsheep: 's who want a Van Hagar reunion, just ponder this thought. Wouldn't it be unwise for Eddie to bring back someone who stabbed him in the back multiple times and treated him like garbage throughout that entire era? Eddie's no angel, but Sammy is the fucking Judas Iscariot of Van Halen.

sadaist
11-02-2013, 04:38 PM
I'm not sure I would trust Michael coming back. I'd be thinking the entire time that he would be doing & saying little things here & there always with the ultimate end game of getting Sammy back as well and repairing the friendships between the brothers & Sam.

Dave doesn't even refer to him as the original bass player. Refers to him as the background vocalist lol.

VAiN
11-02-2013, 05:25 PM
I'm not sure I would trust Michael coming back. I'd be thinking the entire time that he would be doing & saying little things here & there always with the ultimate end game of getting Sammy back as well and repairing the friendships between the brothers & Sam.

Dave doesn't even refer to him as the original bass player. Refers to him as the background vocalist lol.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again - I have never walked out of VH show thinking about how incredible the bass was or wasn't... It's all about Dave & Eddie for me. The magic of 78-84 will never be recreated.

VAiN
11-02-2013, 05:26 PM

This x infinity...

mh5150
11-02-2013, 06:22 PM
I've said it before, and I'll say it again - I have never walked out of VH show thinking about how incredible the bass was or wasn't... It's all about Dave & Eddie for me. The magic of 78-84 will never be recreated.

IT has always been about Edward and Dave to me... I agree with Terry it just wouldn't have made MUCH of a difference if MA was there in 07'. In the 12'-13' shows Wolf did more than hold his own.

Never was
11-02-2013, 07:18 PM
How come no interviewer challenges Hagar when he says he can sing Roth's stuff. Well he can't and he also refused to do so for the vast majority of the catalog. He is more consistent than Dave live but this notion he can sing Dave's stuff easily is just false, he can't and his voice is consistent but not versatile and not much on range.

MA great guy, by far the most normal I've met of the original group and great singer but he is either stupid (which I don't think so) or just insincere about the whole he was surprised he was replaced. His being on the outs with the band started in the 90's so the Wolfie vs MA stuff is silly. If you want Billy Sheehan or someone vs Wolfie makes more sense but MA was done in Eddie's eyes in the mid 90's.

Never was
11-02-2013, 07:35 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmjW-FvIPHo

Oh yeah Sammy nailed it.

fraroc
11-02-2013, 10:13 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmjW-FvIPHo

Oh yeah Sammy nailed it.

Of course, the asshole who said that David Lee Roth is a no-talent hack has a pic of Sammy Hagar as his avatar :)

FORD
11-02-2013, 11:39 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=185roOKaUuQ

Sammy can sing Dave's songs??

Bullshit.

Sarge
11-03-2013, 12:29 AM
I don't believe anything that comes out of Sammy's mouth....

fraroc
11-03-2013, 07:36 AM

After learning the truth about Sammy Hagar, me either. Sammy Hagar is a fucking asshole who bit the hand that fed him for 11 years and is proud of the fact that he took advantage and then stabbed Eddie in the back. That's why I fucking hate listening to Van Hagar music now, knowing what a shitty human being Sammy is.

Seshmeister
11-03-2013, 10:29 AM

I like the review of his book on Amazon by someone called TruthTeller...

1) Page 54: "...the first Montrose album has sold more than 4 million records over the years." According to the RIAA, it's certified just ONE million. (Worldwide sales are barely more than USA sales for all Hagar's albums).

2) PAGE 78: I sold out the Oakland Coliseum that Fourth of July [1980]. He fails to mention that he was on the bill with 4 other bands, three of which were hugely popular at the time: Blue Oyster Cult, REO Speedwagon, and Triumph, (and also Randy Hanson). Hagar conveniently implies he sold it out by himself.

3) PAGE 80: [In 1982]: "We went out on tour, headlining arenas, double nights in a lot of places." From my years working in concert promotion at Electric Factory in Philly in the 80s (a huge concert promoter back then), I have the list of Sammy's 1982 tour dates straight from Pollstar. There was only ONE city listed where he played twice: San Francisco. Again, he is lying through his fake teeth.

4-7) Page 90 contains one incredible paragraph that is the biggest pile of BS I'(tm)ve ever read relating to Van Halen in my life!:

"The tour for VOA was my most successful. I sold out arenas everywhere, two, three, or four nights some places, one of the top grossing tours in 1984-right up there with Van Halen, who broke at the same time with Jump and all that. I remember getting an award in Portland, Oregon. I sold out two nights and got the Show of the Year. Van Halen was runner-up. We were neck-and-neck on the road. My album was 1.6 million, but they ended up selling 10 million records."

4) "VAN HALEN 'BROKE' WITH JUMP IN 1984"?? How he belittles VH's earlier success! I was under the impression that they broke in 1978, when they exploded with their earth-shattering debut, rewriting the rules for rock music and sold 2 million copies right out of the gate! Ed was winning every guitar player award in site. In only their first year, VH far eclipsed everything that Montrose & Hagar ever did. Everyone was talking about VH in '78, and NO ONE was talking about Hagar or Montrose.

5) "I SOLD OUT ARENAS EVERYWHERE, TWO, THREE, FOUR NIGHTS IN SOME PLACES, ONE OF THE TOP GROSSING TOURS IN 1984-RIGHT UP THERE WITH VAN HALEN".

6) "We [VH and Hagar in 1984] were neck-and-neck on the road." On what planet? Anyone who was alive during the 80s knows that Van Halen was infinitely more popular than Hagar. Perhaps Hagar was the only person on EARTH who didn't see it that way. In 1984, Van Halen was through the stratosphere - their tour absolutely dwarfed all other rock band's tours, especially Hagar's.

7) "I remember getting an award in Portland, Oregon. I sold out two nights and got the Show of the Year." Again, from my years working in concert promotion, I have here Sammy's 1982 tour dates. He played ONE night in Portland, Oregon, on 3/19/82, at the Memorial Coliseum. The dates before and after were both in Washington. No other Portland dates.

8 ) Page 113: "Before I joined the band, Van Halen didn't have a particularly tight show. Roth would talk. They'd do another song. Ed would play a 20 minute guitar solo. They would do another song. Roth would talk some more, another song, Al would do a drum solo for 30 minutes. On the 1984 tour...they were doing 8 songs in a 2 hour show. They ended every song the same way."

Any fan who reads this who either saw Van Halen before Sammy joined, or owns ANY amount of old Van Halen bootlegs, knows that every single thing Sammy said in that paragraph is complete bulls***. EVH's solo was always around 10 minutes. Alex's was always 3-4 minutes. They always did 16 songs, not counting solos. VH was a well-oiled machine, a stellar production, and tightly choreographed - the exact opposite of what Sam describes. Again, he is shamelessly rewriting history to try to diminish what Van Halen was before he joined.

9) Page 121: aeThe record [Sammy's solo album "I Never Said Goodbye"] went platinum immediately.

As of today, 4/26/11, it has only been certified Gold status. It's never been Platinum, and certainly not immediately.

10) Page 122: "We [VH in 1986] were selling out four nights in arenas anywhere." Although the 5150 tour was a smashing success, and they occasionally would sell 2, 3 or even 4 nights in certain cities, the band played ONE night vast majority of cities. Also, the 5150 tour wasn't as big as the 1984 tour, which had the band playing one additional night in several cities than they were on the 5150 tour.

11) Page 173: aeThe fans went against Roth. He died a quick death as a solo artist.

I would say that most current VH fans are under the impression that Hagar's solo career has been more successful than Roth's. However, if you want to measure the success with ALBUM SALES, Roth's solo career has actually been more successful than Hagar's! Roth's first 3 albums went Platinum (Crazy From The Heat in 85, Eat 'Em And Smile in 86, and Skyscraper in 87). Hagar, however, never had could match that success - he never had 3 consecutive Platinum solo albums... just 3 consecutive GOLD albums, and then later in 1987 released another one that only went gold, with the help of Eddie playing bass. Hagar's solo career simply was never as big as Roth's was in the 80s.

12) Page 222: When Irving Azoff told Hagar that the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame wanted to induct Van Halen, but only the Roth-version of the band, Hagar says, "aeI went nuts on Irving. I was in the band longer than Roth. He was in Van Halen seven years. I was with them eleven years. I sold more records than he did. How could they do that to me?"

He is wrong on both counts. Roth was in VH for 12 years (74-85) and VH sold twice as many albums with Roth than with Hagar. (See published figures at RIAA.com).

13) Page 234: Sammy says that, before he joined VH, "I was selling out multiple arenas, had five platinum albums in a row on Geffen, and I was ripe to join Van Halen when they asked..."

I already went over the "multiple arenas" bull. As for "5 platinum albums in a row on Geffen"? He had only 3 Geffen albums! And none were platinum!

1981 Standing Hampton -" Gold as of 1985.

1982 Three Lock Box - Gold to this day.

1984 V.O.A. "Gold as of mid-1985.

Those are all the major lies that I can detect, just as a fan. I can'(tm)t even imagine how many more lies are in the book that the fans would have no way of detecting.

Hagar wants all the fans to think that he was hugely successful BEFORE he joined VH, as if joining them wasn'(tm)t necessarily the thing that catapulted his career. In countless interviews, he states that his solo albums were going platinum before VH.

This is all a lie. In reality, NONE of his solo albums were platinum by the time he joined VH in mid-1985. Sure, as of 2011, 3 of his albums have gone platinum (Montrose, Standing Hampton, and V.O.A.). But Hampton didn't go platinum 'till 1992, V.O.A. didn't go platinum until Nov. 85, and Montrose didn't until many years later, either.

DLR Bridge
11-03-2013, 10:34 AM
I believe that was written by a VHND poster named Adam. Halen High could probably confirm that for me. It's actually a superb skewering of Hagar from one of his own disappointed fans.

atomicpnk47
11-03-2013, 10:49 AM
And his album sales were only enhanced after he joined Van Halen....

Heater
11-03-2013, 11:21 AM
Hagar treated Ed like shit the WHOLE time he was in the band? And should he have just walked away from his Tequila company because Ed was a drunk? Didn't realize he was forcing Ed to guzzle it every night, what an enabler. If Dave is such a class act and stellar (God we love that word) human being, why did he ignore Ed's condition when the "reunion" came around? All Roth cared about was getting in front of a big crowd again, it was all about him. Yes, they did finally postpone the tour so Ed could clean up but it seems Dave had his own agenda- which never included vocal lessons! And, what about Dave continuing to smoke after Ed looses part of his tongue to cancer? How uncaring and selfish and disrespectful, and not to beat a dead horse, but it sure ain't helping his pipes any. Dave's last solo album sold what? 43,000 copies?
Sam and Dave are more similar than we like to admit.

FORD
11-03-2013, 11:22 AM
Hmmm.... so the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame actually wanted to induct only the REAL Van Halen, and then Sammy had a hissy fit until he got added in (based on his repeated lies about record sales)

Well, now I'm beginning to understand why Eddie, Alex and Dave decided to skip the whole thing. I suspected it was Azoff's doing that the Cheese Peddler got included in that fiasco.

fraroc
11-03-2013, 11:29 AM
Hagar treated Ed like shit the WHOLE time he was in the band? And should he have just walked away from his Tequila company because Ed was a drunk? Didn't realize he was forcing Ed to guzzle it every night, what an enabler. If Dave is such a class act and stellar (God we love that word) human being, why did he ignore Ed's condition when the "reunion" came around? All Roth cared about was getting in front of a big crowd again, it was all about him. Yes, they did finally postpone the tour so Ed could clean up but it seems Dave had his own agenda- which never included vocal lessons! And, what about Dave continuing to smoke after Ed looses part of his tongue to cancer? How uncaring and selfish and disrespectful, and not to beat a dead horse, but it sure ain't helping his pipes any. Dave's last solo album sold what? 43,000 copies?
Sam and Dave are more similar than we like to admit.

You're a cuntfuck.

FORD
11-03-2013, 11:56 AM
Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xivzzk4MCQ

Von Halen
11-03-2013, 12:23 PM
If Dave is such a class act and stellar (God we love that word) human being

Who said that?

Here's the biggest difference between Dave and Sam. Dave NEVER portrays himself as some stellar human being. Dave never sits around and tells everyone how great he was, and how great he is. Unlike Clichegar, Diamond Dave does not have an inferiority complex. Dave does what he wants to do, when he wants to do it. He makes no excuses, and offers no apologies. Dave knows exactly what has been successful in his career, and what hasn't. He just doesn't dwell on either. Especially in the media.

fraroc
11-03-2013, 01:14 PM
Who said that?

Here's the biggest difference between Dave and Sam. Dave NEVER portrays himself as some stellar human being. Dave never sits around and tells everyone how great he was, and how great he is. Unlike Clichegar, Diamond Dave does not have an inferiority complex. Dave does what he wants to do, when he wants to do it. He makes no excuses, and offers no apologies. Dave knows exactly what has been successful in his career, and what hasn't. He just doesn't dwell on either. Especially in the media.

As much as you piss me off, I agree with you. Dave may seem like he's arrogant and cocky, but in reality he's just being the person he is. He never went "I'm the greatest singer ever and everyone else sucks." Hell, during the 2002 Sam and Dave tour, Dave was the one wanting to make peace until Sammy decided to give him a hard time about everything and called him a faggot. What an asshole Sam is.

Von Halen
11-03-2013, 05:24 PM
Hell, during the 2002 Sam and Dave tour, Dave was the one wanting to make peace until Sammy decided to give him a hard time about everything and called him a faggot.

Well, I'll probably piss you off some more, but you couldn't be more wrong about that. I was at quiet a few of those shows, and got to see a lot first hand. I can guarantee you, Dave NEVER tried to make peace on that tour. He didn't have to. He went out there with a hot band, and blew Hagar off the stage every night.

Seshmeister
11-03-2013, 06:00 PM
Who said that?

A great example was on the Dave and Sam tour.

They had agreed that each got to put on a 10 minute video before they started whether they were first on or second.

Hagar chose to put on the most insipid sickening vile montage of 40 people one after another saying what a great guy he was, how talented he was and how he was just wonderful.

Dave had 10 minutes of the Van Damme triplets in skin tight outfits chasing dwarfs through underground tunnels.

I think that summed things up pretty well and that's why we're here... :)

Seshmeister
11-03-2013, 06:03 PM
That and you don't get blackmailed with a begging bowl here every couple of months... ;)

fraroc
11-03-2013, 06:05 PM
Well, I'll probably piss you off some more, but you couldn't be more wrong about that. I was at quiet a few of those shows, and got to see a lot first hand. I can guarantee you, Dave NEVER tried to make peace on that tour. He didn't have to. He went out there with a hot band, and blew Hagar off the stage every night.

Regardless whether or whether not Dave actively tried to make peace with Sammy, Dave NEVER tried to instigate any sort of personal attacks and fights against Sam. Sammy took care of that all alone when he called Dave a faggot to his face and then (and this is even more disgusting) echoed it to the press, saying that he was a lame wig-wearing talentless prima donna trying to be something he never was.

Once again, What a fucking CUNT Sammy Hagar is.

Heater
11-03-2013, 06:27 PM
Who said that?

WHAT? Dave is all ego and bluster and embellishment. He has to rely on the past, he has nothing left. He at one time was a cool motherfucker, now he's desperate. Wigs or not, homosexual or not. And he did wear wigs.....

Heater
11-03-2013, 06:28 PM
You're a cuntfuck.

You are IN LOVE with Roth. You want to kiss him.

Heater
11-03-2013, 06:30 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xivzzk4MCQ

Not even clever anymore. Same old, same old. Just like your hero.

DLR Bridge
11-03-2013, 06:50 PM
WHAT? Dave is all ego and bluster and embellishment. He has to rely on the past, he has nothing left. He at one time was a cool motherfucker, now he's desperate. Wigs or not, homosexual or not. And he did wear wigs.....

Do you go to Michael Jordan websites and make similar claims? What really is your joy in all of this? Everyone, including Dave himself, is painfully aware of the differences between the then and the now. Sheesh, get a new hobby already.

fraroc
11-03-2013, 06:58 PM
You are IN LOVE with Roth. You want to kiss him.

This site is called RothArmy, asshole. We're all in love with David Lee Roth.

fraroc
11-03-2013, 09:16 PM
I love how on the Tattoo video on YouTube, it's always the same two assholes trolling. Edsnotgod/Adoynall and bigdell1996/DaveSUCKSLive. There is no denying it, these pieces of shit don't have any fucking life.

Cato
11-03-2013, 10:42 PM
"The tour for VOA was my most successful. I sold out arenas everywhere, two, three, or four nights some places, one of the top grossing tours in 1984-right up there with Van Halen, who broke at the same time with Jump and all that. I remember getting an award in Portland, Oregon. I sold out two nights and got the Show of the Year. Van Halen was runner-up. We were neck-and-neck on the road. My album was 1.6 million, but they ended up selling 10 million records."

he was supposed to do a solo Japan tour at that time but it was cancelled because of poor ticket sales.
the venue was very small btw(2000 seats or so)

cadaverdog
11-03-2013, 11:50 PM
This site is called RothArmy, asshole. We're all in love with David Lee Roth. Speak for yourself. I think he's a better singer than Sammy but I'm not gay on the dude.

cadaverdog
11-04-2013, 12:01 AM
With the money he's got he could have afforded to buy a better wig than that if he did wear one. He should just let the hair he's got grow out and wear a do rag to hide the bald spots on top. At least he wouldn't look like an idiot like Bret Micheals with a brain tourniquet (bandana) over a wig so it's not so obvious it is a wig.

Heater
11-04-2013, 12:38 AM
Do you go to Michael Jordan websites and make similar claims? What really is your joy in all of this? Everyone, including Dave himself, is painfully aware of the differences between the then and the now. Sheesh, get a new hobby already.

Why would I go to a Michael Jordan website and talk about how David Lee
Roth is a mere shell of who he was? That makes no sense. It seems your hobby is denying and defending any criticism pointed toward the object of your affections, are you getting a new hobby? Are you?

Heater
11-04-2013, 12:46 AM
This site is called RothArmy, asshole. We're all in love with David Lee Roth.

I KNEW IT! See, I like the music he did when he was first in VH, his solo stuff started out adequate and quickly turned to suck. I thought he was entertaining in his hey day, but he has been desperate and embarrassing and is now hard to watch, let alone listen to. The fact that the majority of you are IN LOVE with him makes it easier to understand the passion in many of your postings. Roth On, Cupid's arrows have made it so!

DLR Bridge
11-04-2013, 08:19 AM
Why would I go to a Michael Jordan website and talk about how David Lee
Roth is a mere shell of who he was? That makes no sense. It seems your hobby is denying and defending any criticism pointed toward the object of your affections, are you getting a new hobby? Are you?

That's not what I meant, but I've expended more than enough energy than I ever should have bothered trying to figure you out. I'll leave you to it.

TFM_Dale
11-04-2013, 09:54 AM
I KNEW IT! See, I like the music he did when he was first in VH, his solo stuff started out adequate and quickly turned to suck. I thought he was entertaining in his hey day, but he has been desperate and embarrassing and is now hard to watch, let alone listen to. The fact that the majority of you are IN LOVE with him makes it easier to understand the passion in many of your postings. Roth On, Cupid's arrows have made it so!

DLR fans at a DLR site, only a fucking idiot would be surprised by members being passionate about DLR.

PETE'S BROTHER
11-04-2013, 11:08 AM
i thought this site was for like minded people whom enjoy individual retirement accounts... :headlights:

DrMaddVibe
11-04-2013, 02:55 PM
i thought this site was for like minded people whom enjoy individual retirement accounts... :headlights:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qz5w06Naq0c
Or a glazed donut...and a bottle of anything...to go.o.o.o.o.o.o....

Terry
11-04-2013, 09:53 PM
I like the review of his book on Amazon by someone called TruthTeller...

1) Page 54: "...the first Montrose album has sold more than 4 million records over the years." According to the RIAA, it's certified just ONE million. (Worldwide sales are barely more than USA sales for all Hagar's albums).

2) PAGE 78: I sold out the Oakland Coliseum that Fourth of July [1980]. He fails to mention that he was on the bill with 4 other bands, three of which were hugely popular at the time: Blue Oyster Cult, REO Speedwagon, and Triumph, (and also Randy Hanson). Hagar conveniently implies he sold it out by himself.

3) PAGE 80: [In 1982]: "We went out on tour, headlining arenas, double nights in a lot of places." From my years working in concert promotion at Electric Factory in Philly in the 80s (a huge concert promoter back then), I have the list of Sammy's 1982 tour dates straight from Pollstar. There was only ONE city listed where he played twice: San Francisco. Again, he is lying through his fake teeth.

4-7) Page 90 contains one incredible paragraph that is the biggest pile of BS I'(tm)ve ever read relating to Van Halen in my life!:

4) "VAN HALEN 'BROKE' WITH JUMP IN 1984"?? How he belittles VH's earlier success! I was under the impression that they broke in 1978, when they exploded with their earth-shattering debut, rewriting the rules for rock music and sold 2 million copies right out of the gate! Ed was winning every guitar player award in site. In only their first year, VH far eclipsed everything that Montrose & Hagar ever did. Everyone was talking about VH in '78, and NO ONE was talking about Hagar or Montrose.

5) "I SOLD OUT ARENAS EVERYWHERE, TWO, THREE, FOUR NIGHTS IN SOME PLACES, ONE OF THE TOP GROSSING TOURS IN 1984-RIGHT UP THERE WITH VAN HALEN".

6) "We [VH and Hagar in 1984] were neck-and-neck on the road." On what planet? Anyone who was alive during the 80s knows that Van Halen was infinitely more popular than Hagar. Perhaps Hagar was the only person on EARTH who didn't see it that way. In 1984, Van Halen was through the stratosphere - their tour absolutely dwarfed all other rock band's tours, especially Hagar's.

7) "I remember getting an award in Portland, Oregon. I sold out two nights and got the Show of the Year." Again, from my years working in concert promotion, I have here Sammy's 1982 tour dates. He played ONE night in Portland, Oregon, on 3/19/82, at the Memorial Coliseum. The dates before and after were both in Washington. No other Portland dates.

8 ) Page 113: "Before I joined the band, Van Halen didn't have a particularly tight show. Roth would talk. They'd do another song. Ed would play a 20 minute guitar solo. They would do another song. Roth would talk some more, another song, Al would do a drum solo for 30 minutes. On the 1984 tour...they were doing 8 songs in a 2 hour show. They ended every song the same way."

Any fan who reads this who either saw Van Halen before Sammy joined, or owns ANY amount of old Van Halen bootlegs, knows that every single thing Sammy said in that paragraph is complete bulls***. EVH's solo was always around 10 minutes. Alex's was always 3-4 minutes. They always did 16 songs, not counting solos. VH was a well-oiled machine, a stellar production, and tightly choreographed - the exact opposite of what Sam describes. Again, he is shamelessly rewriting history to try to diminish what Van Halen was before he joined.

9) Page 121: aeThe record [Sammy's solo album "I Never Said Goodbye"] went platinum immediately.

As of today, 4/26/11, it has only been certified Gold status. It's never been Platinum, and certainly not immediately.

10) Page 122: "We [VH in 1986] were selling out four nights in arenas anywhere." Although the 5150 tour was a smashing success, and they occasionally would sell 2, 3 or even 4 nights in certain cities, the band played ONE night vast majority of cities. Also, the 5150 tour wasn't as big as the 1984 tour, which had the band playing one additional night in several cities than they were on the 5150 tour.

11) Page 173: aeThe fans went against Roth. He died a quick death as a solo artist.

I would say that most current VH fans are under the impression that Hagar's solo career has been more successful than Roth's. However, if you want to measure the success with ALBUM SALES, Roth's solo career has actually been more successful than Hagar's! Roth's first 3 albums went Platinum (Crazy From The Heat in 85, Eat 'Em And Smile in 86, and Skyscraper in 87). Hagar, however, never had could match that success - he never had 3 consecutive Platinum solo albums... just 3 consecutive GOLD albums, and then later in 1987 released another one that only went gold, with the help of Eddie playing bass. Hagar's solo career simply was never as big as Roth's was in the 80s.

12) Page 222: When Irving Azoff told Hagar that the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame wanted to induct Van Halen, but only the Roth-version of the band, Hagar says, "aeI went nuts on Irving. I was in the band longer than Roth. He was in Van Halen seven years. I was with them eleven years. I sold more records than he did. How could they do that to me?"

He is wrong on both counts. Roth was in VH for 12 years (74-85) and VH sold twice as many albums with Roth than with Hagar. (See published figures at RIAA.com).

13) Page 234: Sammy says that, before he joined VH, "I was selling out multiple arenas, had five platinum albums in a row on Geffen, and I was ripe to join Van Halen when they asked..."

I already went over the "multiple arenas" bull. As for "5 platinum albums in a row on Geffen"? He had only 3 Geffen albums! And none were platinum!

1981 Standing Hampton -" Gold as of 1985.

1982 Three Lock Box - Gold to this day.

1984 V.O.A. "Gold as of mid-1985.

Those are all the major lies that I can detect, just as a fan. I can'(tm)t even imagine how many more lies are in the book that the fans would have no way of detecting.

Hagar wants all the fans to think that he was hugely successful BEFORE he joined VH, as if joining them wasn'(tm)t necessarily the thing that catapulted his career. In countless interviews, he states that his solo albums were going platinum before VH.

This is all a lie. In reality, NONE of his solo albums were platinum by the time he joined VH in mid-1985. Sure, as of 2011, 3 of his albums have gone platinum (Montrose, Standing Hampton, and V.O.A.). But Hampton didn't go platinum 'till 1992, V.O.A. didn't go platinum until Nov. 85, and Montrose didn't until many years later, either.

Useful to see all that info laid out like that. When I read his book and he was talking about how wildly successful his solo career was prior to joining Van Halen, I was like "I don't recall Sammy Hagar being a huge commercial success prior to joining Van Halen." He was a moderate success, but nowhere near approaching what Van Halen was doing when Roth was was in the band.
Hagar just deludes himself that it was Van Halen who were only moderately successful prior to his joining...the old "5150 went number #1, and was the first Van Halen album to do so, therefore Van Halen were more successful when I joined" bullshit.
In truth, the guy had a career that was nothing to be ashamed of in terms of sales. Why he still feels the need to ridiculously inflate his record sales is beyond me: I suppose it's because nobody ever calls him on his bullshit.
Like, in 2002, Hagar was saying how "Roth dragged himself out of the gutter" to do the Sam and Dave tour, and how after the tour was over "[Roth] will be right back where he was the previous summer" and I'm thinking "was Sammy Hagar filling 10-15,000 seat arenas on his own between 1996 and 2002?"

Seshmeister
11-04-2013, 10:51 PM
I'm surprised at how many people read that book - I had no interest.

To me the fact that he has always been is such a liar made it pointless reading.

DLR Bridge
11-04-2013, 11:39 PM
I just went to Amazon to see this write up in the flesh and all I got was a steaming pile of shit from the mindless skulls of Hagar backers, praising his meteoric Cinderella story of a career. Sadly, as Terry points out, the fact that no DJ or interviewer or columnist ever called him out on the lies has allowed him the ability to make the majority of them stick, especially in the minds of the lazy casual fan's of Van Halen who simply went with the ebb and flow of whatever the band did from '85 on. In a sense, Ed (no thanks to his mechanic, Claudio) gave birth to all of these numb nutted casual fans who actually think a singer may be a more qualified fit for the band by the fact that he can shriek "higher and higher" in a song called Dreams while doing jumping jacks on stage. This is where it becomes a fucking sin that official video footage of the 6 pack tours remains unreleased. The lazy dumb shits of the world are all too thrilled to watch their Van Hagar Live (not really) Right Here Right Now because they were able to go out and buy it!! Now just imagine these same schmucks suddenly getting to see Dave launch 18 feet in the air, belt out notes Sam only dreamt of hitting all while performing a well choreographed show with a band that was totally on board with the direction he was leading them in. They'd realize right quickly that they've settled for flavorless, light beer all of these years and would now heavily enjoy their new found, high octane, CVH brew until they drowned in it! Now if only this damn footage would surface already. The fact that it's collecting dust on a vault shelf somewhere is the crux of the matter I'm afraid.

DLR Bridge
11-05-2013, 12:07 AM

To me the fact that he has always been is such a liar made it pointless reading.

It's a "know your enemy" thing I s'pose. It solidified my disdain for him, that's for sure. I actually never hated him until I read it, to be quite honest. Way back when the book was first advertised, I thought it might be interesting to see how his time in Montrose came and went and why the HSAS project was a one and done when there was clearly a chemistry there between he and Neal Schon. When I first read the few passages from his book in Rolling Stone (you know, the only ones they would bother to reprint because even they know how nothing he is without Van Halen) I became enraged and had to see more. I spent a couple of lunch breaks reading it at a Barnes & Noble. When you set aside the over blown statistics and just look at what he goes after and the manner in which he does it, it becomes pretty telling that he is not the cool, down to Earth guy he's been made out to be. He's an egomaniacal baby who thinks every buck starts with him and that everyone in his life prospered from being in his presence. It's truly a case study in narcissism like none I've ever read.

Oh, and everybody needs to at least read Mike's forward. Big mistake on his part. I mean huge mistake.

fryingdutchman
11-05-2013, 06:08 AM
I never read Hagar's book, but if I get the chance to dig through the clearance box at my local Border's I might pick it up for a chuckle.

I don't think that real Van Halen fans read it because they're closet Sammy fans. I think it's simply a case of morbid curiosity.....like a bad car crash. You don't want to look at a horrible, nightmarish scene...but you have to because natural human curiosity gets the best of you.

And for others, it serves as reinforcement that mediocrity can be portrayed as success if you get lucky enough or can stick to a lie long enough to make people believe it.

fryingdutchman
11-05-2013, 06:15 AM
It's a "know your enemy" thing I s'pose. it becomes pretty telling that he is not the cool, down to Earth guy he's been made out to be. He's an egomaniacal baby who thinks every buck starts with him and that everyone in his life prospered from being in his presence. It's truly a case study in narcissism like none I've ever read.

Spot on Bridge...and that's the rub. It's the ego that he has that really gnaws at us.

DLR also has a huge ego and always wants the spotlight...he'd probably be the first one to tell you that.

But with Roth, it had a firm foundation. Hagar twists it and takes it to a whole different level.

Hagar prospered by being in Van Halen's presence...not the other way around. If Roth never left then Hagar would be playing supermarket openings at this point.

Seshmeister
11-05-2013, 06:32 AM
Oh, and everybody needs to at least read Mike's forward. Big mistake on his part. I mean huge mistake.

“Sammy’s no bullsh*tter. If Sammy says it happened, it did. There’s nobody else anywhere like him.” (Michael Anthony)

So he read that crock and then said that? He could have been supportive without saying that!

vandeleur
11-05-2013, 07:32 AM
Everytime mike laps at hagars cock a fairy dies :D

fryingdutchman
11-05-2013, 08:08 AM
Everytime mike laps at hagars cock a fairy dies :D

It doesn't really have the same beauty as "every time a bell rings, an angel gets it's wings"...but it's a good point nonetheless!

If that's true then fairies became extinct long ago....

fryingdutchman
11-05-2013, 08:19 AM
“Sammy’s no bullsh*tter. If Sammy says it happened, it did. There’s nobody else anywhere like him.” (Michael Anthony)

Just....wow. That's fucked up.

Blind, cult-like worship....

Almost makes you think that Cabo Wabo Tequila is formulated with some mind controlling substance. Maybe that's how he keeps his fan base of "redheads." They've all been inducted into a Hagar cult unbeknownst to them through tequila mind control.

http://scienceblogs.com/zooillogix/wp-content/blogs.dir/253/files/2012/04/i-b9f853b885e2cf1d0ffd2435ed71d3e8-Plankton%2011.jpg

DLR Bridge
11-05-2013, 08:27 AM

So he read that crock and then said that? He could have been supportive without saying that!

Oh that's just what they put on the jacket to try to help sell the thing. The major damage is his apology to Hagar for sticking by VH when things got ultra dicey around the end of his run. He literally goes on record to say that he backed the VHs when Sam really didn't do any wrong. Insert slurp sounds hear.

chuckjitsu
11-05-2013, 09:52 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qz5w06Naq0c
Or a glazed donut...and a bottle of anything...to go.o.o.o.o.o.o....

I remember watching this video for the first time and having mixed emotions. I liked the song and videos, but it felt off to me to see Dave fronting a band other than Van Halen- like the natural order of things had somehow been disturbed. Maybe it was the subconscious realization that the Samburglar era was now in full effect...

Anyone else have recollections of seeing this video for the first time?

DLR Bridge
11-05-2013, 10:07 AM
Same thoughts here, Chuck. Seeing this and then seeing the Sam and Ed Farm-Aid Zep cover, I recall my annoyed, no CVH seeing, sorry ass thinking, "oh why's it gotta be like this?"

Von Halen
11-05-2013, 10:25 AM
I remember watching this video for the first time and having mixed emotions. I liked the song and videos, but it felt off to me to see Dave fronting a band other than Van Halen- like the natural order of things had somehow been disturbed. Maybe it was the subconscious realization that the Samburglar era was now in full effect...

I like the comedic part of the video. Hated the song the first time I heard it, and still do.

Vai, like Satriani, is a solo guitarist. They have no idea how to structure songs with a singer, in my opinion. Dave had to have they keyboards at this point, to fill all of Vai's empty space.

Did anybody see any of the tribute to Ronnie Montrose on AxsTV? (love that channel) Satriani sounds fucking HORRIBLE playing the Montrose tunes. Sounds hollow, in a bad way. Thin. Tinny. Whatever. Sounds like shit.

Knowing this shit wasn't a side project for Dave, made it all the more painful. Going in a short time from "Drop Dead Legs", "House Of Pain" and "Girl Gone Bad", to this? Again, knowing it was not a one off side project? What a fucking let down.

chefcraig
11-05-2013, 10:28 AM
I never read Hagar's book, but if I get the chance to dig through the clearance box at my local Border's I might pick it up for a chuckle.

Do yerself a favor, and don't. On the very same day, we got in not only the ghastly autobio of one Samuel Hagar, yet the totally inscrutable Steven Tyler book as well. I could literally feel the brain cells dripping out of my ears.

Succumbing to two volumes of utter, non-reconstituted gibberish lead me over to the reference section, where I promptly picked up a Stephen Hawking book just to put the universe back in substantial order.

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”

― Stephen Hawking

fryingdutchman
11-05-2013, 10:33 AM

I remember seeing it for the first time...and I felt the same way. It just didn't feel "right."

Funny watching it again now. I bet that video wouldn't even make MTV these days (if they still actually played videos) because of the opening content.

The PC police would quash it because it promoted too many "ethnic stereotypes."

Fucking funny shit though!!!

DrMaddVibe
11-05-2013, 10:49 AM
Spot on Bridge...and that's the rub. It's the ego that he has that really gnaws at us.

DLR also has a huge ego and always wants the spotlight...he'd probably be the first one to tell you that.

But with Roth, it had a firm foundation. Hagar twists it and takes it to a whole different level.

Hagar prospered by being in Van Halen's presence...not the other way around. If Roth never left then Hagar would be playing supermarket openings at this point.

DLR would include the backstory...the history as it was...with humor and for good measure a couple of drawings or include other people that were there to validate the entire sordid past.

Spammy? He's a two pump chump only after his own nut. He's no team player and when stuff doesn't go his way...he's the first to cry like a little bitch!

As for Spammy's book...I wouldn't even waste a penny reading it for fear it would end up in his pocket.

twonabomber
11-05-2013, 11:58 AM
I downloaded the audio version of Sammy's book and was disappointed to find he wasn't reading it. I was ready to chop n' paste that sumbitch up!

chefcraig
11-05-2013, 12:25 PM
I downloaded the audio version of Sammy's book and was disappointed to find he wasn't reading it. I was ready to chop n' paste that sumbitch up!

Or, in order to save valuable internet time, you could recite the following with the brain-dead twit's voice in your head:

"If anything cool ever happened, I'm responsible, including the invention of the internet (screw a bunch of Al Gore) and the defining moments in rock and or roll. I have successfully fucked over or bad-mouthed everyone I've ever come into contact with, be it business partners or my first wife. My defecate has no aroma, and only time will tell if we stand the test of time."

http://img1.imagehousing.com/62/373929a5a8b1b2d1b84606d50897d57c.jpg (http://www.imagehousing.com/image/1166518)

DrMaddVibe
11-05-2013, 01:28 PM

Not to sidetrack the OP but...yes I do remember the 1st time I saw this video. I was glad that he answered the "5150" salvo with a better album. Starting with this song. The humor was there from his EP...his band at the time? I'd match them against his former bandmates as to the output and maybe...just maybe Alex would be the only winner. With each release Van Hagar became a bigger joke...in EVERY category. Musically, sales, concert draw and image. Roth continued to maintain a sense of credibility towards the material that was crafted with Van Halen while they continued to take another appendage off.

Seeing them tour on this was like seeing a Van Halen show. It was fun. Unlike that trainwreck I witnessed with the Monsters of Rock tour. Ever notice you never see Bette Midler and Spammy in the same room...at the same time?

Roth continued to entertain fans with a solid show and recorded material...no matter how big or how small the venue. He really is the Toastmaster General, and he is why I'm such a huge fan of Van Halen.

Heater
11-05-2013, 08:34 PM
Was Dave really filling 10-15000 seat arenas in 2002? Nope, seems like an embellishment to shine things up a little bit. Dave was able to launch himself 18 feet in the air? 18 feet? Really? THAT also appears to be a slight exaggeration. Calling BS on someone and using BS to make your point is an odd tactic. But the guy can twirl a stick with the best of them and spin like a pixie!

ThatArtGuy
11-05-2013, 09:07 PM
Was Dave really filling 10-15000 seat arenas in 2002?

Actually, he did fill the Bumbershoot Festival football arena in Seattle. So, yes, he did.

FORD
11-05-2013, 09:13 PM
Was Dave really filling 10-15000 seat arenas in 2002?

Actually, he did fill the Bumbershoot Festival football arena in Seattle. So, yes, he did.

Bumbershoot was actually 2001, but yes it was full.

He was at the Gorge in 2002... that was full too.

twonabomber
11-05-2013, 09:16 PM
In 1999 Sammy played "A Taste Of Cleveland," which is a glorified rib burn-off...

Terry
11-05-2013, 09:46 PM

Meh. It was in a $5 or less bargain shelf at Barnes and Noble. I started thumbing through it, then said fuck it, might as well buy it. Was interested in what he had to say about the 2004 tour, but read the whole thing.

Even beyond his vague relationship with the truth (re: sales stats), the thing that really emerged from his book was a really charmless series of rationalizations for anything in his life that went wrong, in that apparently nothing was ever Hagar's fault to the point where not even the slightest bit of blame rests at Hagar's feet.
Cheating on his wife? It was his wife's fault for being a head-case. If his wife wasn't so fucked up in the head, Sammy wouldn't have cheated on her.
Record sales not everything Sammy thought they should have been for any given album? It's completely the record companies fault.
Various members getting kicked out of Montrose/Hagar solo groups? It's all either Ronnie Montrose or the other band members shot themselves in the foot. Nothing to do with Hagar.
And on and on.
He also wrote how great Cabo Wabo was when he first went there because it was a small village with virtually no phones and no tourists, then without the slightest trace of irony says it's even better now that he opened up his cantina and turned the town into a tourist trap. Like, "wow this place is such a great place to get away from everything, and the people that live here like it that way, so I suppose the natural thing to do would be to turn it into a cross between Margaritaville and Disneyland!"

Seshmeister
11-05-2013, 10:40 PM
The big thing on Amazon is the weighting of their review system based on how many useful votes it gets.

If you go to Amazon(US) then the top review is is a 5 star review from an ignorant person who describes it as "He's very honest and matter-of-factly".

This is just objectively speaking, a stinky pile of shit. Anyone that has been remotely following this story for the last 30 years knows that Hagar has never ever been adverse to bullshitting.

The post I copied here from Amazon is actually a 3 star review. I have 13 likes on my post here but the original at Amazon by the guy that actually wrote it only has 3 people who found his review helpful which means no one ever sees it.

http://www.amazon.com/Red-My-Uncensored-Life-Rock/product-reviews/006200929X/ref=cm_cr_pr_top_link_2?ie=UTF8&filterBy=addThreeStar&pageNumber=2&showViewpoints=0&sortBy=byRankDescending

Please please please could people click on the 'This review was useful' button for that post so that people at least maybe take this book with a pinch of salt.

If even one in 10 of the people that have read this thread here did then that post would be in the first few on Amazon, i.e one of the ones people actually read.

http://www.amazon.com/Red-My-Uncensored-Life-Rock/product-reviews/006200929X/ref=cm_cr_pr_viewpnt_sr_3?ie=UTF8&filterBy=addThreeStar&showViewpoints=0&sortBy=bySubmissionDateDescending

Zing!
11-06-2013, 07:55 AM
Zing would rather read Dave's book for the tenth time than Haggar's once.

chefcraig
11-06-2013, 08:55 AM
Zing would rather read Dave's book for the tenth time than Haggar's once.

The thing about "Crazy From The Heat" is that you can drop it on the floor, allow it to open to any random page and after reading said page, come away with some profound insight. Not only about the dude doing the writing, yet life in general.

On the other hand, Hagar's effort justifiably comes in handy if you just so happen to be short of butt-wipe during a protracted, somewhat gastric session upon the shitter. And reading of his juvenile, highly imagined (and ultimately, false) tales of his adventures/victories in life can only be properly viewed through one's bunghole in the first place.

:squirts::fighting24:

DLR Bridge
11-06-2013, 08:55 AM
Dave was able to launch himself 18 feet in the air? 18 feet? Really? THAT also appears to be a slight exaggeration.

Ok, 16.5 to 17 feet. Feel better? Idiot.
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/11/06/e9u9umu6.jpg

PETE'S BROTHER
11-06-2013, 11:47 AM
he probly does :baaa:

chefcraig
11-06-2013, 12:28 PM
God-damned Taco Bell. :019:

Pardon me folks, I have to go take a Hagar...:smileyfart:

Zing!
11-06-2013, 01:05 PM

There's got to be a math whiz around here that can do some kind of triangulation on that pic to figure out the exact distance between the floor and Dave's ass.

vandeleur
11-06-2013, 01:16 PM
It's called the rock n roll equation

DLR is > spammy , Hagar's. -a (circumference ) + s.a (surface area) = shit jump

PETE'S BROTHER
11-06-2013, 01:31 PM
it's called the rock n roll equation

dlr is > spammy , hagar's. -a (circumference ) + s.a (surface area) = shit jump

jimi's sig

ZahZoo
11-06-2013, 02:22 PM
There's got to be a math whiz around here that can do some kind of triangulation on that pic to figure out the exact distance between the floor and Dave's ass.

Not too hard to estimate... Note the speakers on Ed's side. Each black hole is about 12 inches in diameter. Adding casters and the stage supports... lets say each layer is about 3 feet tall. Note: Al's platform appears to be about at Ed's shoulder height. So let's say 5 feet.

Dave's ass appears to be about 2 speakers above Alex's drum pedestal... So I'd estimate Dave's ass height at about 7.5 - 8 feet max...

PETE'S BROTHER
11-06-2013, 02:24 PM
Not too hard to estimate... Note the speakers on Ed's side. Each black hole is about 12 inches in diameter. Adding casters and the stage supports... lets say each layer is about 3 feet tall. Note: Al's platform appears to be about at Ed's shoulder height. So let's say 5 feet.

Dave's ass appears to be about 2 speakers above Alex's drum pedestal... So I'd estimate Dave's ass height at about 7.5 - 8 feet max...

WHAT? what is the diameter of alex's bass drum?

PETE'S BROTHER
11-06-2013, 02:27 PM

he is at least 3 times that

DONNIEP
11-06-2013, 02:27 PM
God-damned Taco Bell. :019:

Heresy!!

vandeleur
11-06-2013, 02:28 PM
8 foot , no way

DONNIEP
11-06-2013, 02:34 PM
So I'd estimate Dave's ass height at about 7.5 - 8 feet max...

You're wrong. Dave is clearly 37 feet above the stage floor. And it's not the height that matters anyway - it's the hang time. Dave's hang time for this jump, at this show, was 1 minute and 27 seconds, a tour record that remains to this day.

PETE'S BROTHER
11-06-2013, 02:38 PM
You're wrong. Dave is clearly 37 feet above the stage floor. And it's not the height that matters anyway - it's the hang time. Dave's hang time for this jump, at this show, was 1 minute and 27 seconds, a tour record that remains to this day.

sammy was up in the skies much longer than that

vandeleur
11-06-2013, 02:38 PM

PETE'S BROTHER
11-06-2013, 02:40 PM
one of you must have a triangulation app on your phone...

VHscraps
11-06-2013, 02:49 PM
Meh. It was in a $5 or less bargain shelf at Barnes and Noble. I started thumbing through it, then said fuck it, might as well buy it. Was interested in what he had to say about the 2004 tour, but read the whole thing.

Even beyond his vague relationship with the truth (re: sales stats), the thing that really emerged from his book was a really charmless series of rationalizations for anything in his life that went wrong, in that apparently nothing was ever Hagar's fault to the point where not even the slightest bit of blame rests at Hagar's feet.
Cheating on his wife? It was his wife's fault for being a head-case. If his wife wasn't so fucked up in the head, Sammy wouldn't have cheated on her.
Record sales not everything Sammy thought they should have been for any given album? It's completely the record companies fault.
Various members getting kicked out of Montrose/Hagar solo groups? It's all either Ronnie Montrose or the other band members shot themselves in the foot. Nothing to do with Hagar.
And on and on.
He also wrote how great Cabo Wabo was when he first went there because it was a small village with virtually no phones and no tourists, then without the slightest trace of irony says it's even better now that he opened up his cantina and turned the town into a tourist trap. Like, "wow this place is such a great place to get away from everything, and the people that live here like it that way, so I suppose the natural thing to do would be to turn it into a cross between Margaritaville and Disneyland!"

I read it and found it interesting for reasons alluded to by DLRBridge (know the enemy) and for the kind of reasons Terry outlines here. It is, indeed, a book of many boasts - but it does give you an insight into what makes Hagar tick.

The chapters on EVH's various meltdowns are worth reading, and - I gotta say - on that score, I tend to believe the picture Hagar paints of that.

But, the overwhelming thing I got from the book was the sense of just how consistent Hagar had been in viewing rock'n'roll as a series of business opportunities. A few that I can remember off the top of my head are:

- in '75 he's in London recording an album at Abbey Road studios, and meets up with one of his old high school teachers who lives in London. She introduces him to fine wines. He thereafter develops a passion for fine wines, but not as a drinker - no. As fucking investments!!

- in around 78-79, he and Leffler realise that they are paying hand over fist to get travel insurance when they are on tour (as did most rock bands, it seems). So, what do they do? Yup, they set up their own travel agency, which other bands then use to get around etc.

- at about the same time, he invests in some fire protection company that fits sprinklers. Makes a killing (so he says, but in this case, he probably did)

- the Cabo Wabo deal. He knows he's got something that could one day be a goldmine, but the Van Halens are too fucking rock'n'roll to think in terms of investment, so they bail out. It leads to the Tequila, etc., which he sells for $80m.

- the divorce is a shocking example of how he financially screwed his ex-wife who, as a resident of California, coulda had 50% of everything he owned I think. She gets virtually nothing, not even her own mother's crockery(!), because "she still loves him" and doesn't want to take advantage of him, because he might change his mind and come home ...

You also get the sense from the book that trouble was brewing with the Van Halens as far back as the late 80s. My guess is that they only held it together because his manager - Ed Leffler, who was obviously a wizard at financial deal-making compared to what VH were used to up to that point - had increased their income through renegotiations with Warners and also the deals he cut with concert promoters. For Ed and Al it probably seemed like the milk and honey would never stop flowing.

The truth is, Van Halen never really made much money until Leffler became their manager. They had the usual shitty starter record contract, for six albums, and it ran out just as Dave left - so, Dave probably never made the vast amounts of cash that the success merited.

DONNIEP
11-06-2013, 02:51 PM

Sammy can bring dead kids back to life and heal cripples too! Let's see Dave top that!!

Coyote
11-06-2013, 02:51 PM

Let's add another perspective...
http://bravewords-public.s3.amazonaws.com/images/p17sqbqpbg13d71fpv1aga1j3t181d4.jpg

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2444/3799332013_4b6bf566bd_z.jpg?zz=1

http://24.media.tumblr.com/ec917c9ac4c427bf9781ea09a1535c5e/tumblr_mryqxleYUG1rd9h52o1_500.jpg

PETE'S BROTHER
11-06-2013, 02:56 PM
yup, 37 feet

Coyote
11-06-2013, 03:07 PM

Just look at his interviews... He's still up there with VH (in his mind, anyway)...

Guitar Shark
11-06-2013, 03:39 PM

What is the airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow?

Heater
11-06-2013, 03:49 PM
Bumbershoot was actually 2001, but yes it was full.

He was at the Gorge in 2002... that was full too.

Bumbershoot was a multi act festival, so Dave didnt really fill it on his own, right? Thought he played the Gorge with Hagar, so go ahead and tell us how everyone was there for Dave and nobody stayed for Hagar. Its fun to spin things but leave out parts, isnt it? Which tour of his got shut down for poor ticket sales? What was the truth behind that? I remember a show in Delaware, at a club, 2 for 1 tickets and he drew a few hundred.

Quick lesson, if you are standing on something 8 feet above the ground and you jump off it, you havent launched yourself 8 feet in the air, let alone 18.

How are Sams business ventures different from Ed's? 5150 stuff, guitars, striped everythings.

Coyote
11-06-2013, 03:50 PM

What do you mean, an african or a european swallow?

DONNIEP
11-06-2013, 04:00 PM

Swallow or swallie?

PETE'S BROTHER
11-06-2013, 04:05 PM
spits or spitz?

DONNIEP
11-06-2013, 04:07 PM
Top or bottom?

FORD
11-06-2013, 04:44 PM
Bumbershoot was a multi act festival, so Dave didnt really fill it on his own, right?

Dave was the last act on the Memorial Stadium stage that night. There was about a three hour break between the previous show on that stage, Ratdog (featuring Bob Weir of the Grateful Dead) and Dave's show, so it wasn't a case of the crowd sticking around, or an ongoing show like the US Festival or whatever. I myself spent those three hours drinking beers, both on and off the Seattle Center festival site.

I saw the Ratdog set also, and it had a pretty good crowd (lots of Deadheads around here, of course) but I'd say it was somewhat smaller than the turnout for Dave's show.

ZahZoo
11-06-2013, 04:59 PM

Al's bass drums are 22" in diameter.

3X that would be 5'6"... about Ed's height.

Back to my speaker reference... those are 12" speakers. I'd put Dave's ass at about 2 speakers above Ed's head... thus 7.5 - 8 feet accounting for camera angle and all that crap...

I stand by my previous assessment!!

PETE'S BROTHER
11-06-2013, 05:01 PM

Back to my speaker reference... those are 12" speakers. I'd put Dave's ass at about 2 speakers above Ed's head... thus 7.5 - 8 feet accounting for camera angle and all that crap...

i betcha they were all of 23 inches, easy :biggrin:

Von Halen
11-06-2013, 05:02 PM

Little too much time on your hands these days Zah? :D

ZahZoo
11-06-2013, 05:06 PM
Little too much time on your hands these days Zah? :D

Not really... my 12 year old daughter is in percussion in the school band and just landed the drummer position for the jazz band. We bought her a set last year for Christmas. Couple of weeks ago I had a drummer buddy and his drum tech over to teach me how to configure the damn things for a traditional jazz set up. I paid attention that day...

I also used to do audio engineering and back-line mgmt back in my day... been around a lot of gear and hauled a ton too. You learn how much you can fit into the back of an old toyota celica real quick...

I also learned a little in math class...

Guitar Shark
11-06-2013, 05:10 PM
Quick lesson, if you are standing on something 8 feet above the ground and you jump off it, you havent launched yourself 8 feet in the air, let alone 18.

I don't care who you are, that's good stuff right there.

Von Halen
11-06-2013, 05:24 PM
Not really... my 12 year old daughter is in percussion in the school band and just landed the drummer position for the jazz band. We bought her a set last year for Christmas. Couple of weeks ago I had a drummer buddy and his drum tech over to teach me how to configure the damn things for a traditional jazz set up. I paid attention that day...

I also used to do audio engineering and back-line mgmt back in my day... been around a lot of gear and hauled a ton too. You learn how much you can fit into the back of an old toyota celica real quick...

I also learned a little in math class...

Dude, we're dead enough around here, without you posting drivel like this.

ZahZoo
11-07-2013, 10:44 AM
Dude, we're dead enough around here, without you posting drivel like this.

Fine... easily resolved. Go recall your beloved Meatball™ Clique from TCR if you need to liven things up here...

You're just envious because I have kids capable of accomplishing something at 12... you were overwhelmed with potty training and bed wetting with your worthless spawn at that age!!

Seshmeister
11-07-2013, 10:49 AM
At your age they'll be overwhelmed with your potty training and bed wetting soon.

Von Halen
11-07-2013, 11:05 AM
Go recall your beloved Meatball™ Clique from TCR if you need to liven things up here...

What the fuck is "TCR"?

ZahZoo
11-07-2013, 11:16 AM
What the fuck is "TCR"?

Talk Classic Rock... http://www.talkclassicrock.com/forums/forum.php

It's where all your former Army Attention Whores™ and jackasses ran off to once the shit river dried up here...

ZahZoo
11-07-2013, 11:20 AM
At your age they'll be overwhelmed with your potty training and bed wetting soon.

Damn... ain't that the truth!!

Von Halen
11-07-2013, 11:23 AM

It's where all your former Army Attention Whores™ and jackasses ran off to once the shit river dried up here...

Are they politically correct over there?

chefcraig
11-07-2013, 11:26 AM

That's really unfair and totally uncalled for. TCR is a great site, with a relaxed, friendly manner about it. Bob_R does a terrific job of keeping the place afloat, with little if any help. He also happens to be a dear friend.

Certainly, there are one or two chowder-heads hanging about, yet the same can be said of any site on the internet.

Von Halen
11-07-2013, 11:38 AM
He also happens to be a dear friend.

Are you having sex? You know, with each other?

chefcraig
11-07-2013, 11:49 AM
Are you having sex? You know, with each other?

Nah, I've never been (ahem) into guys. Even so, the dude's married, and that's yet another line I won't cross.

PETE'S BROTHER
11-07-2013, 12:14 PM

we miss you there... :baaa:

DLR Bridge
11-07-2013, 12:42 PM

Totally disappointing seeing this from you. Weren't you the guy who claimed to be "nomadic" at the time you headed over to DLRFans? Are we all not bouncing around at different sites and shooting the same shit anyway? Your efforts to tone down Internet animosity have just been shot in the foot a lil' bit.

Guitar Shark
11-07-2013, 01:16 PM
Totally disappointing seeing this from you. Weren't you the guy who claimed to be "nomadic" at the time you headed over to DLRFans? Are we all not bouncing around at different sites and shooting the same shit anyway? Your efforts to tone down Internet animosity have just been shot in the foot a lil' bit.

Eh, at his age we should be happy anytime he says anything other than "Get off my lawn!!" ;)

ZahZoo
11-07-2013, 01:24 PM
That's really unfair and totally uncalled for. TCR is a great site, with a relaxed, friendly manner about it. Bob_R does a terrific job of keeping the place afloat, with little if any help. He also happens to be a dear friend.

Certainly, there are one or two chowder-heads hanging about, yet the same can be said of any site on the internet.

Easy now Chef... I was only referencing the Meatball™ Clique that recently migrated to TCR in the last few months. It's a great site without question for all the right reasons you mentioned. Hopefully not immune to a bit of harmless teasing though..?

FORD
11-07-2013, 01:27 PM
Are they politically correct over there?

Actually, they aren't political at all. I still manage to post there, but only about music. And sometimes football, and computer stuff.

As far as the attention whores, I think they went to RothChats 4.0

ZahZoo
11-07-2013, 01:43 PM

Fuck... now I've gone and disappointed you..? No, not you, DLR-B. Say it ain't so...

My Nomadic gig is on the move and my camel always has a full tank of gas... y'all should check out some of the e-cigarette forums. You got a bunch of lunatics jacked up on liquid nicotine and they get all crazy after dark when the booze gets flowing!!

I'm rethinking this whole Peace Accord thing... seemed noble at the time to save all you pansy-asses from the evil throngs of foolish discussion board wars. But ya know what... IT'S BORING AS ALL FUCK!!! Ya know... when the Dave and the band aren't entertaining us we USED to be able to entertain ourselves much better not so many years ago... We've all lost a step to age!!

HEY!!! WILL SOMEBODY TURN THOSE GAWD-DAMNED BLOWERS OFF!!!!!

DLR Bridge
11-07-2013, 02:14 PM
The batteries in my Zah-to-Bridge translator have gone dead and my charger is at home. You want to try that again?

PETE'S BROTHER
11-07-2013, 02:23 PM
The batteries in my Zah-to-Bridge translator have gone dead and my charger is at home. You want to try that again?

he said "fuck it, let's fight"

DLR Bridge
11-07-2013, 03:02 PM
he said "fuck it, let's fight"

If I'm too old for that shit, what does that make him? :biggrin:

PETE'S BROTHER
11-07-2013, 03:09 PM

ornery

ZahZoo
11-07-2013, 03:09 PM

Too old to know better or even give a shit... Let's rumble, Junior!!

PETE'S BROTHER
11-07-2013, 03:11 PM
Too old to know better or even give a shit... Let's rumble, Junior!!

see? :biggrin:

DLR Bridge
11-07-2013, 03:19 PM
No fightin' from me old friend. There's enough ugliness going on off the internets these days in Bridgeville. If I throw down here, I'm gonna spontaneously combust.

Nickdfresh
11-07-2013, 03:24 PM

Zah just fingers his asshole with the Sheep at the Links when the tumble weeds hit him in the head at "the other site." :)

ZahZoo
11-08-2013, 01:51 AM
Zah just fingers his asshole with the Sheep at the Links when the tumble weeds hit him in the head at "the other site." :)

Oh man... Nick... really? Dude, really..?

Gosh... There was a time when you and I could banter about and you'd actually throw out some sort of worthy jab that qualified for a counter-punch.

But this one...

I'm sorry man if this hurts your fragile feelings... but if this is your "A" game... I'll have to decline a checkers match with you. I'm sorry... I can't bring myself to a competitive place with someone who's this sadly challenged finding the playing field.

Hey Sesh/Von... can we get a sympathy reinstatement for ole Nick... maybe a founders member purple or pink color thingy, a Sarge reach-around or maybe give him a clip-board & pencil and a hat or something?

Let's help the poor guy out... don't just let him flounder about in the pool scaring the children... can we?

ZahZoo
11-08-2013, 02:00 AM
see? :biggrin:

I've come to the conclusion that Pete and his Ultra Mega Hot Sister Sarah's brother is not only an I'll be damned clairvoyant... but a fuckin visionary on top of that!!

I want you on my team... Name your price, boy... let's talk!!

PETE'S BROTHER
11-08-2013, 10:38 AM
I've come to the conclusion that Pete and his Ultra Mega Hot Sister Sarah's brother is not only an I'll be damned clairvoyant... but a fuckin visionary on top of that!!

I want you on my team... Name your price, boy... let's talk!!

i knew you were gonna say that... :) got beer?

Bob_R
11-08-2013, 06:35 PM
It's a great site without question for all the right reasons you mentioned.

It'd be better if I was winning the football pool! :)

Von Halen
11-08-2013, 08:32 PM

WTF Bobber? Why aren't I in that pool?

FORD
11-08-2013, 08:38 PM

Tell me about it.... even with the Seahawks having their best season in recent history, I can't break 60% :(

Nickdfresh
11-08-2013, 08:38 PM
Oh man... Nick... really? Dude, really..?

Gosh... There was a time when you and I could banter about and you'd actually throw out some sort of worthy jab that qualified for a counter-punch.

But this one...

I'm sorry man if this hurts your fragile feelings... but if this is your "A" game... I'll have to decline a checkers match with you. I'm sorry... I can't bring myself to a competitive place with someone who's this sadly challenged finding the playing field.

Hey Sesh/Von... can we get a sympathy reinstatement for ole Nick... maybe a founders member purple or pink color thingy, a Sarge reach-around or maybe give him a clip-board & pencil and a hat or something?

Let's help the poor guy out... don't just let him flounder about in the pool scaring the children... can we?

You know what's really funny Zah? When you pretend you actually have some integrity or credibility on critiquing other posters.

I'm just telling the truth. You know, like Dave and stuff? You should try it sometime instead of being a useless old two-faced hypocrite...

But it's not your fault, right buddy? Nice, classic backpedal though... ;) :thumb:

Seshmeister
11-08-2013, 09:20 PM

I think it needs more forums.

Have you considered splitting it up alphabetically into

1960s -Bands starting with A
1960s -Bands starting with B
1960s -Bands starting with C
1960s -Bands starting with D
1960s -Bands starting with E
1960s -Bands starting with F
1960s -Bands starting with G
1960s -Bands starting with H

and so on? ;)

twonabomber
11-08-2013, 10:00 PM
I think it needs more forums.

Have you considered splitting it up alphabetically into

1960s -Bands starting with A
1960s -Bands starting with B
1960s -Bands starting with C
1960s -Bands starting with D
1960s -Bands starting with E
1960s -Bands starting with F
1960s -Bands starting with G
1960s -Bands starting with H

and so on? ;)

That was the Savicki board, wasn't it?

ZahZoo
11-11-2013, 10:00 AM
You know what's really funny Zah? When you pretend you actually have some integrity or credibility on critiquing other posters.

I'm just telling the truth. You know, like Dave and stuff? You should try it sometime instead of being a useless old two-faced hypocrite...

But it's not your fault, right buddy? Nice, classic backpedal though... ;) :thumb:

Try not to take this crap too seriously... integrity and/or credibility have never had a seat at the big table here. That was just fodder for you and your former pals at the little guys table.

Angel
11-11-2013, 10:02 AM
Tell me about it.... even with the Seahawks having their best season in recent history, I can't break 60% :(

They are so much fun to watch this year!

Terry
11-11-2013, 08:51 PM
They are so much fun to watch this year!

They are, but as a longtime fan, I'm having the sinking feeling in my stomach that they're gonna find a way to blow it coming down the home stretch like they always do.

TFM_Dale
11-11-2013, 09:53 PM

You are just jealous that yet another site is putting your wanna be army to shame. You don't wear jealousy well double z, pouting won't get you new members at your site any faster then starting shit here did.

ZahZoo
11-12-2013, 09:30 AM
You are just jealous that yet another site is putting your wanna be army to shame. You don't wear jealousy well double z, pouting won't get you new members at your site any faster then starting shit here did.

Odd thinking Dale... why would I be jealous of a site I visit periodically and have posted at?

It's a nice generic music site and all I was pointing out was a lot of folks from here migrated there or took up joint residency. I made no other value judgement of that site... nor is there any site competition factor in play. Where do you come up with this shit?

TFM_Dale
11-12-2013, 09:49 AM
Where do you come up with this shit?

From reading your snarky, condescending posts. You try to come off as a voice of reason while taking shots at anybody that doesn't frequent your shit hole of a site. A lot of the time you are a decent dude, it is when you try taking shots at people that haven't said anything to you in months that you come off as a douche.

WARF
11-12-2013, 10:18 AM
You are just jealous that yet another site is putting your wanna be army to shame.

Why don't you just call us the wannabe ddlr.com since it's owned by the wanna be army now? :)

TFM_Dale
11-12-2013, 10:28 AM
Can't you just call us the wannabe ddlr.com since it's owned by the wannabe army now? :)

I'll try to remember that.

WARF
11-12-2013, 10:40 AM
I'll try to remember that.

The bottom line is Van Halen and David Lee Roth interest is dead. It's just a money pit. The age of message boards are OVER. People would rather chat in their facebook groups about Van Halen. Why would anyone make the switch? Even if they made the switch to here or Donnie/Warham's site (I don't own it btw...) They wouldn't be used to all the fighting and insane shit some of the members post.

Roth Army/ Links/ DLRF to Facebook is like...

Blockbuster video to netflix...

MTV to youtube...

Times have changed... we either gotta merge or live in a ghost town...

twonabomber
11-12-2013, 10:49 AM
Times have changed... we either gotta merge or live in a ghost town...

Merge what?

WARF
11-12-2013, 11:02 AM
Merge what?

Obviously there isn't gonna be a merge with our sites. I'm just saying there isn't enough interest in David Lee Roth to have multiple sites exist and still have decent traffic. Facebook groups are where everyone posts now. Nobody wants to post at message boards. I've run into lots of members from here and the ddlr.com days and they post in fb groups.

ZahZoo
11-12-2013, 11:06 AM
From reading your snarky, condescending posts. You try to come off as a voice of reason while taking shots at anybody that doesn't frequent your shit hole of a site. A lot of the time you are a decent dude, it is when you try taking shots at people that haven't said anything to you in months that you come off as a douche.

Sorry my sarcasm offends... taking shots is a tradition here that built this place!! Why do you people keep forgetting that fact?

ZahZoo
11-12-2013, 11:09 AM
Obviously there isn't gonna be a merge with our sites. I'm just saying there isn't enough interest in David Lee Roth to have multiple sites exist and still have decent traffic. Facebook groups are where everyone posts now. Nobody wants to post at message boards. I've run into lots of members from here and the ddlr.com days and they post in fb groups.

Times, change... people change... the net changes. Change will remain with us until the end.

Merge isn't on the menu... Change ain't lookin for friends... Change calls the tune we dance to.

Von Halen
11-12-2013, 11:14 AM
I've run into lots of members from here and the ddlr.com days and they post in fb groups.

Are you serious?

What is the attraction of posting in a FB group? What does it allow, that you can't do on a traditional forum?

WARF
11-12-2013, 11:15 AM
Times, change... people change... the net changes. Change will remain with us until the end.

Merge isn't on the menu... Change ain't lookin for friends... Change calls the tune we dance to.

You're right ZahZoo...

I think it's time to stop riding the white horse...

It's time to ride the white pony!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwATF5dnfq4

ZahZoo
11-12-2013, 11:17 AM
Are you serious?

What is the attraction of posting in a FB group? What does it allow, that you can't do on a traditional forum?

You can type with your thumb on one hand and still jack off with the other hand. Other than that I see no difference...

WARF
11-12-2013, 11:21 AM
Are you serious?

I've been asking my staff for 8 months why fb users won't make the switch! There are hundreds of FB Van Halen/DLR groups... I've been trying to make them members of my site. I've asked hundreds to register! 90% of them don't register..... 9% register and don't make a post... and maybe 1% of them will become regular members. I think I've got maybe one or two active members from fb.

Facebook has killed message boards.

TFM_Dale
11-12-2013, 11:23 AM

Facebook is great for family and personal friends, for just fucking around on the net I would much rather post on a message board. Just my personal preference but I doubt I am the only one that feels that way about it.

DONNIEP
11-12-2013, 11:31 AM
People, for the most part, post on fagbook as themselves. Most of them don't understand the relative anonymity of posting on a message board. Or that most message boards are places where people routinely rip on each other and the rules are way looser than on FB. Plus, a lot of those people have the attention span of a gold fish and they're not interested in ongoing conversations about anything. It's ooh, typey typey, post, next update, ooh! Here's a Van Halen picture you've all seen 37,000 times. And they're all thinner skinned than an albino in a desert.

Von Halen
11-12-2013, 11:31 AM
I've been asking my staff for 8 months why fb users won't make the switch! There are hundreds of FB Van Halen/DLR groups... I've been trying to make them members of my site. I've asked hundreds to register! 90% of them don't register..... 9% register and don't make a post... and maybe 1% of them will become regular members. I think I've got maybe one or two active members from fb.

Facebook has killed message boards.

So basically, everyone that doesn't like one of the other groups, can start their own group? Easily, and free? Or maybe they have a huge ego, like WARF :D, and they just want to start their own group, because they can?

Isn't it watered down as fuck? How do you bond, if the groups are fragmented into hundreds of pieces?

wolfsbane
11-12-2013, 11:33 AM
Facebook is for people who work in cubicles and for people who are mentally 16 years old.

The discussions are not about the subject or the message, it is about the person posting the message.

I want to discuss the subject not the person posting. Facebook people should get a real life and not live in virtual reality.

Von Halen
11-12-2013, 11:34 AM
People, for the most part, post on fagbook as themselves. Most of them don't understand the relative anonymity of posting on a message board. Or that most message boards are places where people routinely rip on each other and the rules are way looser than on FB. Plus, a lot of those people have the attention span of a gold fish and they're not interested in ongoing conversations about anything. It's ooh, typey typey, post, next update, ooh! Here's a Van Halen picture you've all seen 37,000 times. And they're all thinner skinned than an albino in a desert.

Basically, it's the "me me me" philosophy.

WARF
11-12-2013, 11:36 AM
So basically, everyone that doesn't like one of the other groups, can start their own group? Easily, and free? Or maybe they have a huge ego, like WARF :D, and they just want to start their own group, because they can?

Isn't it watered down as fuck? How do you bond, if the groups are fragmented into hundreds of pieces?

Exactly it's FREE.

Anyone can start a group and have thousands of members.

All the old posters that left this site and ddlr.com post in my group now. lol

They still won't post at my site though... even though I link the group with links of topics to our forums.

DLR Bridge
11-12-2013, 11:37 AM
Facebook is great for family and personal friends, for just fucking around on the net I would much rather post on a message board. Just my personal preference but I doubt I am the only one that feels that way about it.

That's exactly how I feel. I can't stand tinkering with all of the various privacy settings on FB, so I use it minimally outside of family and friend crap. I prefer the separate universe of message boards for bands and the like.

TFM_Dale
11-12-2013, 11:41 AM
Even if they made the switch to here or Donnie/Warham's site (I don't own it btw...) They wouldn't be used to all the fighting and insane shit some of the members post.

Exactly it's FREE.

They still won't post at my site though... even though I link the group with links of topics to our forums.

Do you own the site or not? lol

DONNIEP
11-12-2013, 11:41 AM
Basically, it's the "me me me" philosophy.

Yeah, just dumbed down to a third grade level. Warf and I not only got kicked out of a group, they threatened to sue us lol. Which seems to happen a lot, actually.

TFM_Dale
11-12-2013, 11:44 AM
Yeah, just dumbed down to a third grade level. Warf and I not only got kicked out of a group, they threatened to sue us lol. Which seems to happen a lot, actually.

Gee, wonder why? lol

DONNIEP
11-12-2013, 11:47 AM
Gee, wonder why? lol

I don't know. It's the strangest thing, lol. They actually closed the group a few days later. All because "Mona" came in and told them Mikey was a good bass player. And "she" may have said that Wolfie sucked balls. See, those people are posting as themselves and the word troll has no meaning to them. I blame Warf.

WARF
11-12-2013, 12:09 PM
Do you own the site or not? lol

DLRF? I never owned that. Warham/Donniep own it. I'm just a webmasturbator there!

I would never wanna own a DLR/VH site... it's a money pit.

If I ever own a web site it's gonna be something that's profitable... lol

ZahZoo
11-12-2013, 12:35 PM
Gee, wonder why? lol

They are real dangerous fellas... the ones your mom warned you about... the ones where "if all your friends were jumping off bridges, would you follow them?"

Yep, those are the guys...

Angel
11-12-2013, 02:11 PM
Exactly it's FREE.

Bullshit. A lot of old members have you blocked on facebook and now have secret groups so you can't see them. Gee, I wonder why that is?

Bob_R
11-12-2013, 02:13 PM
WTF Bobber? Why aren't I in that pool?

Join up dude!

The Lions are in first place you must be in your glory!

Bob_R
11-12-2013, 02:14 PM

If the Seahawks can secure home field throughout the playoffs they're going to the Super Bowl.

Angel
11-12-2013, 02:14 PM
I don't know. It's the strangest thing, lol. They actually closed the group a few days later. All because "Mona" came in and told them Mikey was a good bass player. And "she" may have said that Wolfie sucked balls. See, those people are posting as themselves and the word troll has no meaning to them. I blame Warf.

From what I heard/saw, it was more than that. Meltdowns, stalking, going after someone's business...in other words, same old, same old...
;):D

Bob_R
11-12-2013, 02:17 PM

:bigwink:

DONNIEP
11-12-2013, 02:29 PM
From what I heard/saw, it was more than that. Meltdowns, stalking, going after someone's business...in other words, same old, same old...
;):D

Stalking? Meltdowns? Going after someone's business? Who would that be?