PDA

View Full Version : Roth joins Esplande fun

Bob_R
06-29-2004, 12:45 PM
What, Grand Funk was busy? Roth joins Esplanade fun
By Larry Katz
Tuesday, June 29, 2004

The Boston Pops' problem: What do you do when Aerosmith, Boston's band of rock 'n' roll bad boys, backs out of performing at your nationally televised Fourth of July concert?

The wacky solution: Get Diamond Dave, the bad boy of rock 'n' roll, to do the gig instead.

Hard to believe, but raunchy David Lee Roth, the extra-extroverted ex-Van Halen frontman, will be the guest star at Sunday's Esplanade bash.

Roll over, Arthur Fiedler, and tell John Williams the news.

While Van Halen's Roth-less reunion tour with singer Sammy Hagar is one of the summer's hottest, the 48-year-old Roth's career appears on the down-slide. He did make news last week, but not for any musical reason. According to the New York Daily News, Roth has relocated to Manhattan from his estate in Pasadena, Calif., and spends several days a week training as an emergency medical technician.

``I want to be working in the outer boroughs,'' Roth told the Daily News. ``This city promises great color and insight in each and every neighborhood. On the Upper East Side, it's gonna be heart attacks and stomachaches. But in other areas, it's all trauma.''

Roth's interest in working as an EMT apparently has more to do with carrying on a family tradition than any financial desperation. Born in Indiana, Roth lived as a child in Swampscott and Brookline, where his father Nathan was a doctor.

``My father was a surgeon and uncles and my cousin were also in the medical community, so I come by it natural,'' Roth said.

But Roth's newfound desire to help mankind doesn't mean the confirmed bachelor has lost his leering interest in womankind. He confessed to the Daily News that ``My dream would be to save a Scandinavian hikerette.''

Will Roth tone down his usual lewd showmanship when he teams with the Pops? Or perhaps he was chosen because of it.

The local broadcast of the big show on the Esplanade begins Sunday at 8:30 p.m. At 10, the fireworks-filled last hour of the show goes national on CBS. Maybe, just maybe, CBS leaned on the Pops' brass to hire Diamond Dave to bring out more blue in what's been - at least until now - a G-rated celebration of the red, white and blue.

Not to worry. Roth won't get too naughty. He's scheduled to sing his 1985 hit remake of the Beach Boys ``California Girls'' and the Van Halen chestnut ``Jump.'' But it would be more fun to hear him and Keith Lockhart's band team up on ``Just a Gigolo.''

Figs
06-29-2004, 01:38 PM
OK, I admit this sucks.

RogueHorseman
06-29-2004, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by EVH FANATIC
...While Van Halen's Roth-less reunion tour with singer Sammy Hagar is one of the summer's hottest...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

DLR_EngineRoom
06-29-2004, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by Figs
OK, I admit this sucks.

Yeah it sucks if you have a hidden agenda for DLR. Who the hell cares, really? DLR is happy doing what he wants. And what he does, isn't sinking, he's still really good at what he does, and he's expanding his horizons. Eddie's playing is sinking 'cause no one's there to push him, Dave gave up on him and is continuing his career and other opportunities. Who cares if it's not what you, me or anyone else expected? Jeez, BAH A"LD he's alive, healthy and happy...more than I can say for the rest of his former bandmates!

scajay
06-29-2004, 01:48 PM
I heard he is soundchecking on the 2nd, and there is a run through on the 3rd as well

Rebel
06-29-2004, 02:53 PM
From reading the article I can't tell. Wll DLR actually be on the CBS broadcast in any way, or is he just playing before the fireworks?

5150Clown
06-29-2004, 03:27 PM
I hope they don't broadcast it cause this will give ED & all the Spam fans more reason.

Hummarstra
06-29-2004, 03:39 PM
Does anyone feel a train wreck coming on? California Girls?? WTF. This is gonna be kinda weird.

Cathedral
06-29-2004, 03:54 PM
C'mon people, can't you see the big picture here?

Van Hagar is stumbling on this Tour and Dave isn't in it...that makes me fucking very happy for the man and solidifies his Legacy in Van Halen.

Look down the road, the man is just waiting like a Cat to a wounded bird...Sooner or later he'll get his prize and it will be his decision when to attack.
Ed has got to be feeling like he blew it and if what they are experiencing isn't screaming that fact to him then he is a total loser and there will NEVER be a reunion of the REAL Van Halen.

It's a game of Cat and Mouse and Dave is the brains of all the players involved.
I can almost bet that Dave would have had to drop his lawsuit and forget about the back royalties he was NOT paid for Ed to agree to do a Reunion, and If Dave is anything like i know him to be, he wouldn't have been strong armed by little Edward like that.

No, he walked away and let this abomination launch without saying a word, as he should.
I guarentee that after Ed loses enough money he'll be re-thinking the whole thing, but my only concern is that like Dave said, "Ed's worst problem is wasted opportunity" and he may have pissed it away for all of them.

Either way, I will never attend any Van Halen show that doesn't include Dave. Van Hagar did not draw me to the band but more pushed me away from it where i shall remain until Ed wakes up and learns from this huge and final mistake he has made.

Dave is making news, he is still in the spotlight and acting very mature about the whole thing. Would you prefer he did nothing and nobody was talking about or writing about him?

Think about it.......

Rebel
06-29-2004, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by 5150Clown
I hope they don't broadcast it cause this will give ED & all the Spam fans more reason.
That's BS. If cameras are gonna be there, put him on, I wanna see it!

RogueHorseman
06-29-2004, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by Hummarstra
Does anyone feel a train wreck coming on? California Girls?? WTF. This is gonna be kinda weird.

What the HELL are you talking about?

This is a huge opportunity, in front of a HUGE MAINSTREAM audience watching on CBS... one the size of which blows away the ENTIRE money grab tour 2004 fleecing by millions.

It's Americana.... Mom, apple pie... the whole bit. What? You think Mean Street is what he should perform??

Yeah, that would go over real well...

DLR_EngineRoom
06-29-2004, 05:04 PM
Originally posted by RogueHorseman
What the HELL are you talking about?

This is a huge opportunity, in front of a HUGE MAINSTREAM audience watching on CBS... one the size of which blows away the ENTIRE money grab tour 2004 fleecing by millions.

It's Americana.... Mom, apple pie... the whole bit. What? You think Mean Street is what he should perform??

Yeah, that would go over real well...

LOL! Roth: This one goes out to my ex-bandmates....gonna turn Mr. Hagar from Hunter into Hunted....hunt that MOTHERF***ER DOWN, babyyy....(Opening chords of Meanstreet).....

Foozwah
06-29-2004, 07:36 PM
I think this is fucking great news. The reporter was obviously on crack when it came to his take on things; e.g. "Van Halen's Roth-less reunion tour with singer Sammy Hagar is one of the summer's hottest..." - guess this was before the ticket sales figures started to get tallied, bwaahahahaha! - but I think Dave getting up in front of a mainstream/middle-America sudience and kicking it with style is a GREAT opportunity!