PDA

View Full Version : "Hot For Teacher" Drum (and guitar and bass) Cover

Droomer5150
11-08-2013, 09:33 PM
Hey Guys! Another VH cover from me, this one is one of my all-time favourites! One of the best drum intro's EVER. My brother recorded guitar for this one and I did the bass, recording, mixing and editing. I used electronic substitutes for the 4th floor tom and kick drum to capture that 1984 vibe that AVH had. Anyway hope you like the video!

Here it is!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7s_M0fSNI68

VAiN
11-09-2013, 02:20 AM
Awesome!! You are very talented!

Droomer5150
11-11-2013, 11:58 AM
Awesome!! You are very talented!

Thanks! Glad you enjoyed it!

LUDWIG USA
11-12-2013, 11:30 AM
Well played Josh ! What trigger setup did you use on the Bass Drum ? I have been listening to your Van Halen covers for over a year now.
I would love to hear you cover Outta Space.

Droomer5150
11-13-2013, 01:24 AM
Thank you, and thanks for checking out my videos! That is a killer song, might try it one day. Do prefer "Let's Get Rockin" though! haha. Like they're both as awesome as each other just in a different way. I'm using the kick drum and floor tom pad from a band I'm recording, drumming and writing for on their new album. I made a deal to borrow the kit until the albums done so that I won't use up my "restricted" hour a day drumming law my suburb has all on writing the parts when I need that time to rehearse and write for my own bands! haha

It's an old Roland Td-4 kit that's not in very good shape and the pads are a bit dodgey but it still functions alright! haha. I programmed them with the preset samples on the Td-4, I think it was the electronic toms and kick 1? Which I tweaked a bit, panned hard left and right then sent those stereo outs to the interface. I had to do some mixing here and there to make it sound like AVH's Simmons drums but that's about it! Oh and I rigged up the electronic kit to a pa speaker that I positioned in front of the right bass drum (so that it would bleed into the other mics and sound like it fits with the rest of the kit!)

LUDWIG USA
11-17-2013, 08:33 PM
Thanks for your reply Josh! Good idea with sending the electronic sound through the pa speaker so it could bleed into the mikes.
When AVH used to have speakers (Horns) mounted in the front of his bass drums, I'm guessing that he was sending the triggered sounds thru the horns and putting a mike out in front of the horns to get it into the mix, don't know for sure.

Droomer5150
11-18-2013, 11:42 PM
Thanks for your reply Josh! Good idea with sending the electronic sound through the pa speaker so it could bleed into the mikes.
When AVH used to have speakers (Horns) mounted in the front of his bass drums, I'm guessing that he was sending the triggered sounds thru the horns and putting a mike out in front of the horns to get it into the mix, don't know for sure.

No worries! I've never actually thought that before! You're probably right, on the 84 and 86 tours he probably had the speaker horns mounted in his kick drums rigged the same way I did mine and the horns would send that noise out through the front head to blend in with the mics as well as sounding and feeling more realistic. Haha can't believe I've never noticed that until now

Droomer5150
11-18-2013, 11:43 PM

No worries! I've never actually thought that before! You're probably right, on the 84 and 86 tours he probably had the speaker horns mounted in his kick drums rigged the same way I did mine and the horns would send that noise out through the front head to blend in with the mics as well as sounding and feeling more realistic. Haha can't believe I've never noticed that until now

Floridaman1985
11-19-2013, 12:13 AM
Sounds great!

LUDWIG USA
11-19-2013, 08:32 PM
A few of Al's kits with the horn speakers.
http://ts3.mm.bing.net/th?id=H.4821269488469154&w=273&h=185&c=7&rs=1&pid=1.7
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c300/purplehaze1234/ebb4437a.jpg
http://userserve-ak.last.fm/serve/_/39233053/Van+Halen+s+Alex+++Lud.jpg

SunisinuS
11-19-2013, 09:15 PM
Fantastic Man!

:thumb: