PDA

View Full Version : Maybe the experts can answer this?

Carloscda
12-03-2013, 11:19 PM
Watching Metal Mania why is it that they have never shown any VH videos IE The big 3 from Oakland?

But they'll show Bon Jovi, Def Leopard etc...

Once in a blue moon I've have seen Going Crazy.

So what's the deal?

Mushroom
12-04-2013, 01:18 AM
Because VH-1 is owned by Viacom who also happen to own MTV = major suckage

TJMKID
12-04-2013, 12:11 PM
Sirius XM channel 39 (Hair Nation) never plays any VH --- but I consider that a good thing

VHscraps
12-05-2013, 05:40 PM
Maybe because VH don't play the game and give interviews and make concessions to the station / network?!

I used to listen to rock radio here in the UK, right up until around the time ADKOT was released, and despite that album hitting the top 10 in the UK, they got almost zero radio play that I could hear. Almost zero UK press coverage - one interview with Dave in The Guardian newspaper.

I know from someone who works at Classic Rock magazine that they were offered the cover at the time of ADKOT, and they didn't want to do an interview. So, what happened when the album came out? The editor gave it to someone to review who slagged it off - bet that wouldn't have happened if they had been granting them an interview at the time.

The band also turned down numerous other cover story opportunities in 2012, which is not the best way to persuade the media promote your stuff!!

DFVH5150
12-05-2013, 09:07 PM
I'm sure, kind of like the person above answered, it's because they're not hair metal or heavy metal. I've only seen "Goin' Crazy!" myself and maybe "Paradise," but never VH. I've watched it probably once a month for the past 5 years and I've never seen Zeppelin, Aerosmith, AC/DC, Rush, or Queen on there either. Maybe AC/DC though now that I think about it.

Zing!
12-05-2013, 09:31 PM
despite that album hitting the top 10 in the UK, they got almost zero radio play that I could hear.

Well if it makes you feel better it got pretty much zero radio play here too.

twonabomber
12-05-2013, 09:59 PM
Sirius XM channel 39 (Hair Nation) never plays any VH --- but I consider that a good thing

Plenty of VH on Ozzy's Boneyard.

Coulda swore I've seen one of the Oakland vids on Metal Mania...probably Unchained.

ZahZoo
12-06-2013, 01:43 AM
Idiots... it boils down to who owns the rights... then who has pockets deep enough to pay the fees to broadcast the crap and pay the fees.

Doesn't matter how good or bad it is... nor who's playing. It boils down to the copyrights and what can be earned commercially & released legally ... ..

Seshmeister
12-06-2013, 05:40 AM
Maybe because VH don't play the game and give interviews and make concessions to the station / network?!

I used to listen to rock radio here in the UK, right up until around the time ADKOT was released, and despite that album hitting the top 10 in the UK, they got almost zero radio play that I could hear. Almost zero UK press coverage - one interview with Dave in The Guardian newspaper.

I know from someone who works at Classic Rock magazine that they were offered the cover at the time of ADKOT, and they didn't want to do an interview. So, what happened when the album came out? The editor gave it to someone to review who slagged it off - bet that wouldn't have happened if they had been granting them an interview at the time.

The band also turned down numerous other cover story opportunities in 2012, which is not the best way to persuade the media promote your stuff!!

You're right there was no promotion whatsoever.

If you listened to a rock station in the UK you will never hear anything from ADKOT ever, this despite by todays standards it must have been one of the biggest selling classic rock albums in years.

VH didn't play the game at all. Someone, probably Eddie, decided that since 90% of albums are stolen on the internet and that doesn't make him money then just to concentrate on the US tour which does.

That worked for them as a quick cash grab but it is completely missing the point of how to be successful in the modern age.

Seshmeister
12-06-2013, 05:45 AM
Also talking of rock radio what fucking bozo decided that 'Pour Some Sugar on Me' is the seminal Def Leppard track and should be played at least daily if not more.

It's fucking shit. I'm not a huge DL fan but they have much better stuff than that 'pata cake pata cake bakers man' fucking garbage.

Same goes for Kiss and Cwazy Cwazy Nights. No one liked it much at the time and 25 years later it's just embarrassing cwap.

VHscraps
12-06-2013, 06:21 PM
I hear you, man.

I used to listen to Planet Rock radio almost every day in my office at home when I was working - until I moved house last year and something changed in my domestic set-up. I don't think I have listened to that station since. But, they always had their favourites, and VH were definitely not one of them - they used to play this British band a lot, Thunder. I never liked 'em. Always thought they were lacking a bit in the originality department - too many songs with cowbell intros etc. Anyways, I remember one night that bearded twat Nicky Horne played something by VH and followed it with Thunder, and made an unfavourable comparison that suggested Thunder were the better act.

I woulda laughed if I didn't want to kick fuck out of my radio. Those cliched non-entities better than the Mighty VH ... I think not.

But, when it comes down to it, it is all a result of the band not at least meeting the press and the media halfway - you don't need to totally play their game. But you're right Sesh, they missed an opportunity on that last album / tour to break through to a wider audience.

Terry
12-29-2013, 07:46 PM
I think the only time I've seen one of the 3 Oakland vids on VH1 Classic was during a segment of videos called ROCK FEST, where they showed Unchained.

VH1 Classic has become so Eddie Trunk-dominated now, to the point where I'm actually put off from watching the channel anymore. In addition, when I first started watching the channel ten years ago, there weren't a ton of other programs on: it was mostly just old music videos. Now, programming during the daytime hours is full of That Metal Show reruns, Behind The Music documentaries and Rock Picture Show movies. Oddly enough, just like the original MTV channel, VH1 Classic is slowly moving away from playing music videos.

What I'd really like to have as an option is the ability to select from the entire database of music videos VH1 Classics / MTV has access to and watch individual ones at my leisure, or at a time and choosing of my own. I'd even be willing to pay a reasonable subscriber fee. Something along the lines of a video jukebox theme, but with all the available videos of all the artists in the MTV archives. There's something similar to this on the ON DEMAND options on my local cable network, but the VH1 Classic option only offers 3 subcategories with maybe a dozen various videos in each subcategory. And they've changed that as well over the past year, where when you go to, say, the 1980s artist subcategory and click on a video from an artist it's no longer the original 1980s video but oftentimes a live performance of that song taken from a concert two years ago.

ThatArtGuy
12-30-2013, 02:47 AM
Youtube is your friend...

ELVIS
12-30-2013, 11:26 AM
That worked for them as a quick cash grab but it is completely missing the point of how to be successful in the modern age.

Maybe Edwad refused to sell his soul to the Devil this time around...

Zing!
12-30-2013, 02:56 PM
What I'd really like to have as an option is the ability to select from the entire database of music videos VH1 Classics / MTV has access to and watch individual ones at my leisure, or at a time and choosing of my own. I'd even be willing to pay a reasonable subscriber fee. Something along the lines of a video jukebox theme, but with all the available videos of all the artists in the MTV archives.

I'd buy it.

Terry
12-30-2013, 08:49 PM
Youtube is your friend...

Oh, indeed, but it's easier for me to record the vids off VH1 than Youtube in terms of making a comp dvd: better picture quality.