X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nickdfresh
    SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Stone Temple Pilots with Chester Bennington

Chester Bennington with STP sounds like Oasis and STP were spliced. I'm typically not a fan of replace the lead singer, but I think I like this:

• DLR Bridge
    ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2011

Better than their first single, but it almost sounds like the guy is mimicking Tiny Music era Scott.

Comment

• binnie
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • May 2006

A second Army of Anyone album would be preferable.....
      The Power Of The Riff Compels Me

Comment

• Kristy
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Aug 2004

I had no idea they still were a band.

No one does.

Comment

• VAiN
          Use my hand, I won't look
          ROCKSTAR

• Nov 2006

Originally posted by binnie
          A second Army of Anyone album would be preferable.....
          Agreed... I just can't get into STP with fucking chester from linkin park.. just, no. They are dead to me unless Scott comes back.
          Originally posted by wiseguy
          That shit will welcome you in the morning and pour the milk in your count chocula for ya.

Comment

• DLR Bridge
            ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2011

I'd prefer he come back, but I don't see it happening. These guys are in a worse way with getting along than the Halens and the Roth. They should call any project they do something other than STP, but I presume their keeping the name as an FU to Scott. He bailed on the last tour do to an illness of some sort, then went on a solo tour doing STP songs only. Kind of a dick move.

I actually liked Talk Show better than Army Of Anyone. Was never crazy about the Filter guy.

Comment

• Nickdfresh
              SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

I think Scott just can't say no to drugs is probably this biggest issue...

Comment

• binnie
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • May 2006

I think that the rather muted reception to their 'reunion' record with Scott a couple of years back is the biggest issue - to deal with an ego like that you have to be either: a) making the best music of their life (which they weren't - although I liked the record); or b) making big $$$ (and they really weren't).

Fact is, doulbing up with Linkin Douche is a big profile lifter.
                The Power Of The Riff Compels Me

Comment

• VAiN
                  Use my hand, I won't look
                  ROCKSTAR

• Nov 2006

I don't know, the last STP album with Scott was pretty popular around these parts and the tour was excellent. I saw Scott about 6 months ago at a big 'small' venue and he put on a great show. Was he sober? Not so much.. But I don't see why he couldn't have done it in front of STP.
                  Originally posted by wiseguy
                  That shit will welcome you in the morning and pour the milk in your count chocula for ya.

Comment

• Terry
                    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                    • Jan 2004

Originally posted by binnie
                    I think that the rather muted reception to their 'reunion' record with Scott a couple of years back is the biggest issue - to deal with an ego like that you have to be either: a) making the best music of their life (which they weren't - although I liked the record); or b) making big $$$ (and they really weren't).

Fact is, doulbing up with Linkin Douche is a big profile lifter.
                    Yeah, that record didn't really set the world on fire, nor did the reunion...although to be honest, the band had split up and reconvened a few times before then, thus an STP reunion at that point wasn't any big deal anymore. I mean, there's only so many times STP can split up and get back together before people stop giving a shit.

And this trend began taking place fairly early on in their career. It's not like STP had been releasing records for an appreciable amount of time before these splits and reconciliations began to happen. How many casual fans did the band lose with each of those hiatuses? This is important, because casual fans make up a sizeable amount of concert audiences.

Can't say as I was necessarily thrilled with much of what the band did after the 4th album, but I will say I quite enjoyed the first four albums. I particularly liked Dean DeLeo's approach to writing and playing. A lot of interesting chord voicings and density with the recorded guitar work. Some of Scott Weiland's lyrics did come across as pretentious gibberish to me, but he was the perfect singer for that band.
                    Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• DLR Bridge
                      ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2011

Originally posted by Terry
                      Can't say as I was necessarily thrilled with much of what the band did after the 4th album, but I will say I quite enjoyed the first four albums. I particularly liked Dean DeLeo's approach to writing and playing. A lot of interesting chord voicings and density with the recorded guitar work. Some of Scott Weiland's lyrics did come across as pretentious gibberish to me, but he was the perfect singer for that band.
                      I agree, only I like a good portion of their 5th CD, Shangrila De Da as well. They had some nice moody creative juices going. I don't mind that much of Scott's lyrics are thinly veiled references to the messes he had made with his life. That music was the soundtrack to his fuck ups just as Alice In Chains was to Layne's. The latest CD from a couple of years ago is fair at best. A lot of it sounded contrived. I think their collective well just may have run dry.

Comment

• chuckjitsu
                        Head Fluffer
                        • Apr 2012

They might as well have just brought back the Talk Show dude (yes i am one of the 3 people who own that album).

STP lost me after Tiny Music. I saw them back in like '08. good show, but scott...yikes. his singing was good, but when he talked to the crowd, his slow, slurry, speech made him sound either heavily medicated or brain damaged (or in his case, possibly both).

Comment

• DrMaddVibe
                          ROTH ARMY ELITE
                          • Jan 2004

Originally posted by VAiN
                          Agreed... I just can't get into STP with fucking chester from linkin park.. just, no. They are dead to me unless Scott comes back.
                          No shit…the songs suck.

No Scotty…No STP…PERIOD!

This is from the last tour I saw them on…they were ON FIRE!
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by DrMaddVibe; 12-10-2013, 01:51 PM.
                          http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x...auders1zl5.gif
                          http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c4...willywonka.gif

Comment

• ODShowtime
                            ROCKSTAR

• Jun 2004

STP is dead. They were in town this Saturday and I could not give less of a fuck.
                            gnaw on it

Comment

Working...