X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DrMaddVibe
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    • Jan 2004

Eddie Van Halen Surprises School Kids

Van Halen guitarist Eddie Van Halen made a surprise visit to music students at LA Unified School District's Foshay Learning Center on Thursday, December 5th. Eddie's camp sent over these details:

Twenty seven aspiring musicians, under the tutelage of Music Director Vincent Womack, were transfixed as Van Halen inspired them to pursue their passion for music by sharing stories about the importance of music in his own life. "I wasn't born 'Eddie Van Halen,' successful or famous, it took years of dedication and practice, practice, practice," said Van Halen.

To help better benefit students in their quest to master music, Eddie and the Fender Musical Instruments Company donated one of his signature EVH 5150lll amplifiers to the class. Eddie also presented each guitar student with a gift bag filled with EVH brand picks, guitar straps, cables, electric guitar strings and a Frankenstein key chain. Fender also contributed acoustic guitar strings to the gift bags.

After scoring a gift bag of his own, Mr. Womack said, "I am so grateful to you for fueling and inspiring us and raising the ceiling of possibilities for the kids. We will never forget today."

Van Halen's visit to the music students was inspired after he attended a fundraising event a few weeks ago for the Mr. Holland's Opus Foundation where he was first introduced to Foshay's Musical Director.

Last year, Van Halen donated 75 electric guitars from his personal collection to the Mr. Holland's Opus Foundation who distributed the guitars to nine schools throughout Los Angeles County. One of the lucky recipients of a guitar, a student named Jose, who was on hand Thursday received a hands on one-on-one lesson from the rock legend who took time to personally teach him the intro to the Van Halen classic "Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love".

"The gift of music is yours, no one can take that away no matter what," Van Halen said to Mr. Womack's class. He added, "It is not a rich/poor thing nor does it discriminate. If you have a love or even a like for music, go after it, pursue it. Music helps lift your self-esteem, it gave me an identity, kept me out of trouble, gave me goals and the desire to improve. It gave me a life. I am an example of what music can do for someone. What it did for me, it can do for you all. Anything is possible".

http://www.antimusic.com/news/13/Dec...l#.Uqb_zKVLdVI

Is it too much to ask for more music?

More self-esteem please…and a glazed donut…to goooooooooo
    http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x...auders1zl5.gif
    http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c4...willywonka.gif
  • twonabomber
    formerly F A T
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Eddie also presented each guitar student with a gift bag filled with EVH brand picks, guitar straps, cables, electric guitar strings and a Frankenstein key chain.
    What, no flip-flops?
    Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

• ELVIS
      Banned
      • Dec 2003

Originally posted by DrMaddVibe
      I am an example of what music can do for someone.

Comment

• DLR Bridge
        ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2011

Still can't believe that picture is from the past, not the future.

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
          ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
          • Dec 2003

Enjoy...

Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• ELVIS
            Banned
            • Dec 2003

That 3rd channel sounds like Krusty's face...

Comment

• ThatArtGuy
              Foot Soldier
              • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Va Beach VH Fan
              Enjoy...
              Was it Dave's amp first?
              I brought my pencil!!!

Comment

• binnie
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • May 2006

Do you think he could surprise his fans with a European tour?
                The Power Of The Riff Compels Me

Comment

• Von Halen
                  ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Dec 2003

Originally posted by binnie
                  Why would he want to go to that shithole?

Comment

• VAiN
                    Use my hand, I won't look
                    ROCKSTAR

• Nov 2006

Originally posted by Va Beach VH Fan
                    Enjoy...

Here's what I don't understand... anytime I've seen a clip of Eddie demo'ing an amp or whatever - Why can't he play like he's Eddie Van Fuckin' Halen and not some guy at guitar center playing EVH riffs????? Fuck man - YOU ARE EDDIE VAN HALEN - give me 20-30 seconds of the FIRE!!!!! It drives me nuts! Anyone else feel this way?
                    Originally posted by wiseguy
                    That shit will welcome you in the morning and pour the milk in your count chocula for ya.

Comment

• katina
                      Commando
                      • Mar 2012

Originally posted by binnie
                      Yes, that would be great !!!

Comment

• Seshmeister
                        ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Originally posted by VAiN
                        Here's what I don't understand... anytime I've seen a clip of Eddie demo'ing an amp or whatever - Why can't he play like he's Eddie Van Fuckin' Halen and not some guy at guitar center playing EVH riffs????? Fuck man - YOU ARE EDDIE VAN HALEN - give me 20-30 seconds of the FIRE!!!!! It drives me nuts! Anyone else feel this way?
                        I think he feels a bit awkward and shy with small groups like that.

We don't know all the details but 1 amp and a little merch?

Comment

• VAiN
                          Use my hand, I won't look
                          ROCKSTAR

• Nov 2006

Originally posted by Seshmeister

We don't know all the details but 1 amp and a little merch?

http://www.celebritynetworth.com/ric...len-net-worth/
                          Just give me 20 seconds of Spanish Fly, the intro to Mean Street, the fist 20 sec of Eruption, etc... ANYTHING other than that same go-to EVH style riff that I use all the time...
                          Originally posted by wiseguy
                          That shit will welcome you in the morning and pour the milk in your count chocula for ya.

Comment

• DLR Bridge
                            ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2011

Originally posted by Seshmeister
                            I think you nailed Sesh. Says so at 7:08 on this clip...

Now, I realize he may have been "partying" a little bit before he got this thing started, but he's playing like every idea that's in his head wants to come out at the same time. It's just a mess.

Comment

• atomicpnk47
                              Head Fluffer
                              • Feb 2007

It's amazing that a guitar god can look like he doesn't even know how to operate an amp .....

Comment

Working...