PDA

View Full Version : Van Halen's Next Marketing Play?

Nigel
01-28-2014, 10:02 AM
OK, we've had a stellar 07/08 tour and an Ok 12/13 Tour with a new album. I think this next album has to be "VH Perfect" so that they can wean off the old tracks and start re-inventing themselves.

Let Eddie explore (no Wolfie interference) and go for an album
with a wicked "single", a bluesy-smoky Roth tune, a Fair Warning type kick ass melodic blast, and pull it back from ADKOT overkill
and go for those "classic" tunes that have fucking balls and melody
like the 6 Pack always will have.

There's no reason VH can't own the Grammy's rather than watching Metallica re-tread a song with some crazy Chinese pianist.

I think they need to awake the mass market with "That was Van Halen"??? Just like Jump did in 1984.

DLR Bridge
01-28-2014, 10:56 AM
Wishful thinking Nige, but the time for that sort of reinvention was in '96 or '00.

Nigel
01-28-2014, 12:11 PM
A fan can dream can't he? Sure they should have. . .etc. but its never too late to reinvent yourselves.

We do it in our advertising/marketing business all the time.

VH is totally capable of creating a new sound that is Van Halenized
but perhaps goes more mainstream than some of the Wolfie inspired tunes on ADKOT.

As a long time fan, I want to hear mainstream melodies rather than Tremonti/Alterbridge
"killing side of VH" blistering low-tuned noise.

DLR Bridge
01-28-2014, 12:23 PM
Agreed, but like the Stones, no matter what they do at this point, only the die hard nuts like us will care what direction they go. I'm personally hoping for bluesy grooves and tasty hooks, but would prefer they don't try to come up with a "hit". That sort of radio fanfare is dead and whether they reach a new audience or not is inconsequential at this point. They don't currently seem particularly interested in the global domination of the rock world.

Nigel
01-28-2014, 12:50 PM
"I'm personally hoping for bluesy grooves and tasty hooks"
(So am I Mr. Bridge, so am I.) A rework of "Tell the Truth" would do it!
"don't try to come up with a "hit". That sort of radio fanfare is dead and whether they reach a new audience or not is inconsequential at this point." Nothing scores like a hit, with or without radio

They don't currently seem particularly interested in the global domination of the rock world.

Perhaps they don't but Roth does. It's Global Domination or go home.

Bottom line, I believe this next album (whether re-tread vault snippets) or true inspiration (fuck they have enough time in between the 85 phone calls), is totally within their grasp to gain the McCartney/Bon Jovi/Springsteen/U2 kind of global domination without sounding like any of the forementioned.

Getting your ass on TV would certainly help, if they ever take the gag order off Mr. Roth.

Nice banter DLR Bridge, this is a nice diversion from writing brochures.

Cheers

Nigel

Va Beach VH Fan
01-28-2014, 01:08 PM
A for effort....

But not gonna happen with an anti-marketing, anti-fanbase, anti-archives person like EVH.....

Just stating facts....

ZahZoo
01-28-2014, 02:33 PM
Next album... maybe they're busy shopping labels again. You won't find any mention of them on Interscope...

VAiN
01-28-2014, 03:15 PM
Next album... maybe they're busy shopping labels again. You won't find any mention of them on Interscope...

Interesting.. I guess they had a 1-album deal? Imagine what that could accomplish with real management and just a little bit of drive on Ed's part..

Nigel
01-28-2014, 04:15 PM
How many West Coast Record labels are there? It was Roth's decision to go with Interscope
and the band went along, after Roth complained about Columbia/Sony, since his contract is different.

Dave likes to create "conflict" around album time, just to get some free press
and besides we are all used to things not going smoothly. Makes it more interesting.

Maybe Dave finally wants to do what he does best, which is do all the promotion
while the VH family comb Cody's fur, eat brown M&M's and have coffee with Wolfie.

As long as Eddie doesn't start playing that large mandolin and going Ritchie Blackmore on us.

DONNIEP
01-28-2014, 04:24 PM
Hmmm...seems like Dave was supposed to be handling most of the promotion last time around.

big fatty
01-28-2014, 04:36 PM
http://www.examiner.com/article/friday-music-president-joe-reagoso-brings-classic-albums-back-to-life?CID=examiner_alerts_article

Zing!
01-28-2014, 04:58 PM
Hmmm...seems like Dave was supposed to be handling most of the promotion last time around.

He handled the promotion about as well as the tour vocals...

Romeo Delight
01-28-2014, 05:58 PM

Who knows what the agreement was, but I can't say Interscope's effort would warrant them continuing on with the relationship. Could it be any worse elsewhere?

VAiN
01-28-2014, 06:33 PM
Who knows what the agreement was, but I can't say Interscope's effort would warrant them continuing on with the relationship. Could it be any worse elsewhere?

Agreed, the effort was pretty weak. I have to wonder how much of that was the band (Eddie) not wanting to play ball and promote. A little social media can go a long way, just ask Kody.

Va Beach VH Fan
01-28-2014, 06:51 PM
A little social media can go a long way, just ask Kody.

Shit, I'd do it for free...

Wait a second, I HAVE been doing it for free, WTF am I talking about !!! ;)

ZahZoo
01-29-2014, 10:10 AM

Well if I recall when ADKOT was announced there was a photo released taken during the rehearsals and filming of the Tattoo video that included the execs from Interscope... and... Irving Azoff - VH's management. The last year Azoff bailed on his corporate gig and took VH with him.

So some digging turned up an article from Sept 2013 that I hadn't seen...

http://www.forbes.com/sites/bobbyowsinski/2013/09/09/irving-azoff-reinvents-the-major-record-label/

In it, Azoff brings the Eagles, Christina Aguilera, Steely Dan and Van Halen with him... So that answers the label question.

The interesting part is the elements of digital distribution, streaming of live performances and pay-per-view in the new record label model that this new group is supposedly developing.

Big question is... when or if VH will produce some product... new music or live performance for this mgmt/label/distribution outfit to serve up??

ZahZoo
01-29-2014, 10:19 AM
Maybe Dave finally wants to do what he does best, which is do all the promotion
while the VH family comb Cody's fur, eat brown M&M's and have coffee with Wolfie.

Dave may have been great back in the local club days... fast forward to today. All I see is Dave is long on talk and short on delivery...

How many months ago did we get the announcement and preview of The Roth Show Season 2..? And then what..?

Maybe he just got busy in Sheep Dog Herding Competitions... ya think?

PETE'S BROTHER
01-29-2014, 10:40 AM
Maybe he just got busy in Sheep Dog Herding Competitions... ya think?

it is a grueling schedule...

ZahZoo
01-29-2014, 11:42 AM
Wow actually you are correct PB...

Check this out.

http://www.ahba-herding.org/MainPage.php?AreaName=EventsCalendar

PETE'S BROTHER
01-29-2014, 11:52 AM
is dave roth registered?

Never was
01-29-2014, 12:13 PM
New VH in 2014, just an educated guess.

Marketing wise it really is dependent on how much the band is willing to do. They operate so fragmented till early 2013 not surprising there was not a cohesive plan for ADKOT. Still keep it in perspective they sold 200k+ week 1, Springsteen went to number one and is a media fav sold 99k only week 1. The market just sucks period, so difficult to want to put a ton of work in for what may be a limited payoff just due to a shitty context.

DLR Bridge
01-29-2014, 12:20 PM
Well if I recall when ADKOT was announced there was a photo released taken during the rehearsals and filming of the Tattoo video that included the execs from Interscope... and... Irving Azoff - VH's management. The last year Azoff bailed on his corporate gig and took VH with him.

And to make us wonder forever more of Dave's status with the band, Irving is the Van Halen's manager (3 twins) not the band, Van Halen's manager, am I right?

Never was
01-29-2014, 01:26 PM
Considering Dave actually went to 5150 in person for this record and Eddie actually agreed to write with him I think his status with the band is actually pretty solid regardless of crapfest management.

VHscraps
01-29-2014, 02:06 PM
And to make us wonder forever more of Dave's status with the band, Irving is the Van Halen's manager (3 twins) not the band, Van Halen's manager, am I right?

Indeed, you are.

After Dave seemed to announce on some radio interview that there would be a European tour following the Australian and Japanese gigs last year, Azoff said something to the effect of "I manage the Van Halens, and there will be no tour of Europe". Or words to that effect - a bit of a slapdown for Dave.

I'd imagine that Irving Azoff only manages the band in the sense of facilitating what Eddie wants to do - i.e., has a limited role in Van Halen the band's affairs around touring (?) because they are effectively a semi-retired entity.

There's certainly been zero exploitation of the back catalogue. I think a full-time hands-on manager who had a semi-retired band on his hands would be trying to find creative ways of preserving and enhancing the musical legacy ... instead every anniversary (compare other bands) goes by without fanfare - VH1, 1984, etc.

Nigel
01-29-2014, 02:25 PM
" I think a full-time hands-on manager who had a semi-retired band on his hands would be trying to find creative ways of preserving and enhancing the musical legacy ... .

This is the job I'd give my left testicle to do for them; (with all of yours and everyone else here's help.)

Tough to be CVH biggest fan(base) and not be able to try something different/better/bigger. . .

ZahZoo
01-29-2014, 02:28 PM
Considering Dave actually went to 5150 in person for this record and Eddie actually agreed to write with him I think his status with the band is actually pretty solid regardless of crapfest management.

What record are referring to?

Last mention I recall from Dave... He did say he had been up to Ed's house... then followed it with THEY are working in Ed's studio all the time. He didn't say "we" he referred to the 3 twins or 3 burritos whatever... A lot of people jumped to the conclusion that Dave was working in 5150 on material... but if you listen to the context. I don't believe that's the case at all.

On ADKOT all the music was laid down in separate sessions and Dave came in off-schedule and did vocals. Not even sure any backing vocals were recorded with Dave and any Van Halens in the same room at the same time.

FORD
01-29-2014, 02:52 PM

The irony there is that Azoff (like Ed Leffler before him) was actually Hagar's manager, and came aboard for the Velveetapalooza 2004 fiasco. I have no idea what possessed him to stay with the sisters after that trainwreck of a tour, considering it was Eddie who was doing most of the derailing. (Also not sure if Irving still represents the Chedhead, since I haven't been keeping track of that asshole)

Anyway, the fact that Irving did stick around would seem to be an indication that he knew the only way Van Halen would have any sort of future would be with their REAL singer. Which makes it even more puzzling that he would be a roadblock to a European tour.

Never was
01-29-2014, 02:55 PM
True ADKOT they never were in the same room.

Dave was at 5150 w Eddie writing from Aug - Oct on several occassions, Dave had been clear never to go there and Eddie was never writing w Dave so that is a significant concession on each there part. Allegedly also worked pre-Japan when Dave heard the VHs were working on new stuff and finally each agreed to the 5150 sessions and writing together during the Japan rehearsals, or so I hear it hence the Aug work. Wasn't there personally. They still annoy each other but want to make this work. Granted on bad day blows it up w these guys but still progressing in 2014. Will be interesting to see what it sounds like having more new material on it assuming they do not implode but seems they may be on a more positive trajectory these days.

vandeleur
01-29-2014, 03:18 PM
Maybe it's like being married , maybe there is less conflict because neither side can be arsed enough to be bothered .

Mushroom
01-29-2014, 03:36 PM
True ADKOT they never were in the same room.

Dave was at 5150 w Eddie writing from Aug - Oct on several occassions, Dave had been clear never to go there and Eddie was never writing w Dave so that is a significant concession on each there part. Allegedly also worked pre-Japan when Dave heard the VHs were working on new stuff and finally each agreed to the 5150 sessions and writing together during the Japan rehearsals, or so I hear it hence the Aug work. Wasn't there personally. They still annoy each other but want to make this work. Granted on bad day blows it up w these guys but still progressing in 2014. Will be interesting to see what it sounds like having more new material on it assuming they do not implode but seems they may be on a more positive trajectory these days.

Please translate your Virginia English to west coast English. Even Queen's English is acceptable.

:beers8:

VetteLS5
01-29-2014, 04:24 PM
Please translate your Virginia English to west coast English. Even Queen's English is acceptable.

Hey! Not all Virginians tawk like dat.

DLR Bridge
02-04-2014, 10:26 PM
Pretty annoyed to report what I've heard (still hoping it's bullshit) but, I just got done blasting a two-fer Tuesday dose of VH on Q104.3 and the reputable Carol Miller said, "so, David Lee Roth says he doesn't expect that Van Halen will be doing anything in 2014. Isn't that nice?" Her second sentence was delivered with sarcastic disappointment.

Again, I hope that's BS, but would not surprise me in the least if it's true.

DLR Bridge
02-05-2014, 06:20 AM
Oh, and the VHND is selling mouse pads with a picture of the Frankenstrat on it. :yawn:

78/84 guy
02-05-2014, 08:42 AM
New VH in 2014, just an educated guess.

Marketing wise it really is dependent on how much the band is willing to do. They operate so fragmented till early 2013 not surprising there was not a cohesive plan for ADKOT. Still keep it in perspective they sold 200k+ week 1, Springsteen went to number one and is a media fav sold 99k only week 1. The market just sucks period, so difficult to want to put a ton of work in for what may be a limited payoff just due to a shitty context.

Bottom line is they need too hit a home run. A.D.K.O.T did well in this market it looks like overall. But could it have done better ?? Damn right it could have. The single was the most boring song on the album ! The video for it did nothing for anybody. Rumor is it was picked out of a hat !? If that's true who the fuck made that choice ? I would have asked them what are you thinking ? Its not the best song to bring to the masses who have been waiting years for this album to happen. I will always think Chinatown should have been the first single. Catchy and heavy. It would have fit in with the new rock music being played. And the production of the album wasn't great. About 4 songs sound flat as hell. Dave sings great on most of it then a few tunes he doesn't. Bullethead comes to mind. I don't know how they think the mastered tapes sounded good, or done. I think OU812 was recorded better. O.K. maybe not. If they put something out there just has to be more effort put in to make it sell. Radio won't play anything new for long unless it's really good. So I think it will have too be word of mouth about how good it is to move more than A.D.K.O.T. did. Ed playing like a badass again wouldn't hurt either ! I love A.D.K.O.T. Still listen too it a lot, but it has it's faults. The 6 pack had very few. Except some of the covers on Diver Down.

VAiN
02-05-2014, 09:25 AM
Pretty annoyed to report what I've heard (still hoping it's bullshit) but, I just got done blasting a two-fer Tuesday dose of VH on Q104.3 and the reputable Carol Miller said, "so, David Lee Roth says he doesn't expect that Van Halen will be doing anything in 2014. Isn't that nice?" Her second sentence was delivered with sarcastic disappointment.

Again, I hope that's BS, but would not surprise me in the least if it's true.

That pretty much falls inline with Dave's earlier 18-month timeline. 2015 VH album & tour... Hopefully.

binnie
02-05-2014, 12:46 PM
Van Halen has a strategy?

BWAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

DLR Bridge
02-05-2014, 02:40 PM
That pretty much falls inline with Dave's earlier 18-month timeline. 2015 VH album & tour... Hopefully.

S'pose you're right. What a travesty though. No way in hell making a rock record should take so damn long. But hey, when you're making all of the cd covers and t-shirts in the basement...:hee:

VAiN
02-05-2014, 05:53 PM
S'pose you're right. What a travesty though. No way in hell making a rock record should take so damn long. But hey, when you're making all of the cd covers and t-shirts in the basement...:hee:

Agreed.. It's 2014, no one is buying that line. If anything they should be embracing technology. Keeping fans engaged & involved. Have a t-shirt design contest or something.. User submitted pics on the site, etc. Hell, I'd gladly design shit FREE even :D

atomicpnk47
02-05-2014, 06:18 PM
Nah it's all those phone calls that need to be made :biggrin:

DONNIEP
02-05-2014, 06:26 PM
Agreed.. It's 2014, no one is buying that line. If anything they should be embracing technology.

The Van Halen Store is selling Frankie mouse pads. Does that count?

VAiN
02-05-2014, 07:43 PM
The Van Halen Store is selling Frankie mouse pads. Does that count?

I take it all back!