• Show
Clear All
  • Seshmeister
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Sammy Hagar Wasn't Van Halen's First Choice

Sammy Hagar Wasn't Van Halen's First Choice

02/14/2014

Sammy Hagar wasn't Van Halen's first choice to replace David Lee Roth when Roth quit the band to start a solo career in 1985, according to Patty Smyth who has revealed details about being approached to join the group.

Journalist Roger Hillis recently spoke with Smyth, the frontwoman for the band Scandal which had a hit in 1984 with "The Warrior" that hit No. 7 on the Billboard Hot 100. The News Journal ran portions of the interview on Thursday, ahead of Patty Smyth and Scandal's show this Saturday in Dewey Beach, Delaware, but Hillis has sent antiMusic some portions of the interview that didn't make the Journal's final article that provide a little more detail about Smyth and Van Halen.

"Eddie asked me to join Van Halen," Smyth said. "When Valerie [Bertinelli] wrote her book, she downplayed the whole thing, which I don't understand. They had asked me not to talk about it in interviews at the time, because they didn't want Sammy Hagar to feel like he was the second choice. It was a long time ago; I never bring it up, but people do ask me about it and there's no reason to deny it."

Hillis asked Smyth how serious the Van Halen proposal was and she responded, "Eddie was dead serious. He wanted me to join the band, and we talked about it repeatedly.

"I had several problems with it," Smyth said. "I had just gotten pregnant with my daughter; I didn't want to move to California, plus those guys were partying very hard at that time."

In the News Journal article the quote ends there, but Hillis tells us that she went on to say, "The very last time we talked about it was after a David Letterman taping in New York; we were sitting around a table with Paul Schaeffer, Danny Kortchmar and Valerie. Eddie said he needed a 'yes' or a 'no' from me so he could move on and find someone else if I wasn't interested. When I said 'no,' Eddie called Sammy."

Smyth went on to score a No. 2 hit in 1992 with "Sometimes Love Just Ain't
    Enough," a duet she recorded with the Eagles icon Don Henley. "I had sang backgrounds on all of Don's solo albums, so I asked him to sing it with me and he agreed. We didn't know it was going to be a big hit, but I did know it was the best song I had ever written," Smyth said. "I'd tried recording that song twice before and I was on the verge of giving up on it."

As for turning down the gig with Van Halen, "In retrospect, I would have loved to have played with Eddie and the guys," Smyth said. "I haven't always made all of the right decisions from a career perspective, but things worked out in the end. If I had done that, I never would have written 'Sometimes Love Just Ain't Enough.' "

Read more at http://www.antimusic.com/news/14/Feb...cfF5ds13l1K.99
    Last edited by Seshmeister; 02-14-2014, 01:02 PM.
  • Seshmeister
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Sammy was however first choice when McDonalds were looking for a mascot. When he sneaked into Van Halen the role went to Ronald...

Comment

• vandeleur
      ROTH ARMY SUPREME
      • Sep 2009

I've seen this in articles a few times it just sounds so random .
      fuck your fucking framing

Comment

• dazzlindino
        Head Fluffer
        • Jul 2009

why is there a picture of patti smith and not patty smyth.......
        I want my music waking up the dead.....dont tell me to turn it down

Comment

• Seshmeister
          ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

They were drunk all the time - I guess the plan was to find the opposite of Roth.

Comment

• vandeleur
            ROTH ARMY SUPREME
            • Sep 2009

Originally posted by Seshmeister
            They were drunk all the time - I guess the plan was to find the opposite of Roth.
            Well he aced that with Hagar
            fuck your fucking framing

Comment

• Seshmeister
              ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Originally posted by dazzlindino
              why is there a picture of patti smith and not patty smyth.......
              LOL doing 3 things at once here...Fixed

Comment

• FORD
                ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Maybe it happened.... maybe it didn't. Though it's funny that Smyth has told this story several times now over the years, and yet she's the only one telling it.

Eddie and Valerie broke up a long time ago, so he would have nothing to lose by admitting it. Mike Sobolewski may or may not have been aware, but if he was, it seems it would pop up whenever he and the Ched Rocker talk about VH (because nobody wants to talk to them about anything else).

I do remember the Letterman episode that Eddie and Valerie appeared on (where this discussion allegedly took place though....)

And Paul Shaffer banged Valerie when she was 16? Who the fuck does he think he is? Bill Wyman?
                Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• FORD
                  ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Paul Shaffer does have some history with Patty Smyth as well. Not sure if he fucked her too, but he was in an early version of Scandal apparently.........

And who's the guy with the Telecaster hanging around in the background. Hope Shaffer didn't bang him!
                  Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Mushroom
                    Commando
                    • Jul 2009

I have known this since the late 80's. It's not news. Scandal Halen would have been a better direction than Van Hagar. She can actually sing and has a good range. I remember reading about Eddie working with her. I also remember Eddie stating he considered the 1984 follow up including a bunch of guest singers (e.g. Jimmy Barnes, Phil Collins, and maybe even mentioned Smyth).

Speaking of female rockers, I would have loved Pat Benatar.

Comment

• VHscraps
                      Veteran
                      • Jul 2009

Interesting to note two things - Patty was at the 2012 Cafe Wha gig with her husband, John McEnroe. There's a youtube clip of them arriving at the venue.

In 1985 she was married to Richard Hell (of the Voidoids / blank generation etc). The mind boggles at the thought that Patty Smyth sought advice from Richard Hell about joining Van Halen - and given he was father of the kid she mentions being pregnant with, I'd imagine she would have.

EDIT - oh, and hell used to hang out with the other Patti Smith ...
                      Last edited by VHscraps; 02-14-2014, 02:07 PM.
                      THINK LIKE THE WAVES

Comment

• Angel
                        ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                        • Jan 2004

Sass Jordan was another female offered. She would've done it if the name wasn't Van Halen. She's a Roth Broad.
                        "Ya know what they say about angels... An angel is a supernatural being or spirit, usually humanoid in form, found in various religions and mythologies. Plus Roth fan boards..."- ZahZoo April 2013

Comment

• cadaverdog
                          ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                          • Aug 2007

Dave quit or the rest of the band decided he had to go? Never got a straight answer on that one. I've heard this before but I have some doubts about the Ferrari mechanic story. Dave and Sammy supposedly had a problem with each other in 78 at a concert in L A with Boston, Black Sabbath, VH and Hagar. The rumor I heard was Sammy was acting like he was the star and said something about VH being an opening act and Dave didn't like it. Ed and Alex probably sought him out just to piss Dave off and they certainly picked the right guy to do it. Too bad Wolfie wasn't born yet. He could have replaced Dave and Mikey on vocals and bass. I'm sure he has a lovely singing voice just like his daddy.
                          Beware of Dog

Comment

• FORD
                            ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Angel
                            Sass Jordan was another female offered. She would've done it if the name wasn't Van Halen. She's a Roth Broad.
                            Reportedly Alex told her the gig would have been hers "if she didn't have tits".
                            Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

Comment

• Angel
                              ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                              • Jan 2004

uploadfromtaptalk1392403387695.jpg

Her tits are smaller than the one they ended up with.
                              "Ya know what they say about angels... An angel is a supernatural being or spirit, usually humanoid in form, found in various religions and mythologies. Plus Roth fan boards..."- ZahZoo April 2013

Comment

Working...