PDA

View Full Version : Van Hagar working for Roth

Greenbuds
06-30-2004, 09:34 PM
Everytime Sammy uses all his energy to make that fat body move, he is paying royalties to David Lee Roth:

http://celebrityjustice.warnerbros.com/news/0406/30b.html

Summer Concerts: Playing and Paying
June 30, 2004

Van Halen and back-again lead singer Sammy Hagar are selling thousands of tickets for their summer tour, and that means big-time cash for… former lead singer David Lee Roth? That's right, because as "CJ" reveals, top musicians don't have to play onstage to get well paid. It's all about doing the rights thing, and as the summer concert season heats up, so are the rights fights.

As entertainment attorney Barry Littman explains, Roth gets paid even though he's not touring with Van Halen because, legally, he is a composer of all of Van Halen's early original work.

"If you have an immensely successful concert that's focused on David Lee Roth-Van Halen tunes, he's going to see more money than if Van Halen never went on tour," Littman notes. "The composers of the song are listed and each of them will have the right to get paid for anybody else performing their song live."

According to Star 98.7 DJ Lara Scott, equal legal credit is a common practice in the music industry. "A lot of bands, like REM, U2 and Coldplay, their big thing is to make all of the band members the owners of the songs," Scott tells us. "That way, there's no confusion, no dispute over who owns the songs. They can all perform them, they all get the royalties and they all get the money."

DR CHIP
06-30-2004, 09:36 PM
What happens though when Ed can't play the original version....like Unchained....

ALMOSTsaved
06-30-2004, 09:37 PM
No wonder Sammy is hesitant to sing the songs.

tjvhou812
06-30-2004, 09:38 PM
so what your sayin is van halen got paid for just about every song dave did on his last few tours, becuase he did all vh tunes except for one or two, so i guess ed is returnin the favor

Greenbuds
06-30-2004, 09:50 PM
Originally posted by tjvhou812
so what your sayin is van halen got paid for just about every song dave did on his last few tours, becuase he did all vh tunes except for one or two, so i guess ed is returnin the favor

Yep, but Dave has never sung a Sammy song in his life, so for Sammy it's a one way street - all the way to Dave's bank.

Like Dave said a long time ago - "Sammy is my bitch. He works for me. Every time he mentions my name I make money"

tjvhou812
06-30-2004, 09:55 PM
well daves eddies bitch,

Samsonite
06-30-2004, 09:56 PM
Do they pay The Who for Won't get fooled again and...whoever made You Really Got Me?

hitch1969©
06-30-2004, 09:57 PM
you morons, nobody in the world has to pay royalties for performing someone else's song. this thread is GAY and you are ALL BANNED>

now get the fuck out you mouthbreathers

VIVA VAN HAGAR!!

=h=

pete
06-30-2004, 09:58 PM
Originally posted by hitch1969©
you morons, nobody in the world has to pay royalties for performing someone else's song. this thread is GAY and you are ALL BANNED>

now get the fuck out you mouthbreathers

I wanna blow DLR!!

=h=

I think he's right. I play other peoples music all the time. it's recording them that requires compensation.

GS?

Bill Lumbergh
06-30-2004, 10:01 PM
Originally posted by tjvhou812
well daves eddies bitch,

Wow I bet it took you about an hour to come up with that comeback........keep trying those 7 or 8 brain cells are working hard!

Greenbuds
06-30-2004, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by pete
I think he's right. I play other peoples music all the time. it's recording them that requires compensation.

GS?

Like the article says - "If you have an immensely successful concert"

Meaning at the shows where Van Hagar do make some money, he'll get paid. Playing backyard parties and bars nobody gives a fuck about royalties.

ALMOSTsaved
06-30-2004, 10:11 PM
Yeah, performing live covers of songs is not illegal.

Just ask the Atomic Punks.

Samsonite
06-30-2004, 10:12 PM
I'm sure they're selling out arenas...

DR CHIP
06-30-2004, 10:15 PM
Originally posted by Samsonite
I'm sure they're selling out arenas...

With free tickets.....

MERRYKISSMASS2U
06-30-2004, 10:16 PM
Originally posted by ALMOSTsaved
No wonder Sammy is hesitant to sing the songs.

i would be hesitant to hum if i couldnt sing.

pete
06-30-2004, 10:17 PM
Originally posted by ALMOSTsaved
Yeah, performing live covers of songs is not illegal.

Just ask the Atomic Punks.

I know after eorge Harrison Died and U2 played MY SWEET LORD, they did not have to pay the estate.

That's bunk.

You can play any song you want live.

DR CHIP
06-30-2004, 10:19 PM
You have to pay royalties when you cover songs as bad as Van Hagar does.....:)

pete
06-30-2004, 10:21 PM
5 stars for you.

When you're right you're right.

When you gotta see DLR band to hear VH played competently. The sisters gotta pay.

dysfunction
06-30-2004, 10:29 PM
Originally posted by Greenbuds
Like the article says - "If you have an immensely successful concert"
First off, keep in mind this information is coming from a fuckin attorney. Problem is the article also says concerts "that's focused on David Lee Roth-Van Halen tunes". 5 songs out of 20 is not focused on the David Lee Roth era. 1 of those 5 is a fuckin cover so Dave has to split that too dumbass. Or are you going to tell me that Dave wrote "You really got Me."

I really like this quote, "Van Halen and back-again lead singer Sammy Hagar are selling thousands of tickets for their summer tour, and that means big-time cash for… former lead singer David Lee Roth?"

How is he going to make big-time cash if the tour isn't immensely successful? Nice job Greenspan, maybe you should have found another article that didn't talk good about the tour.

Greenbuds
06-30-2004, 10:39 PM
Originally posted by dysfunction
First off, keep in mind this information is coming from a fuckin attorney.

I really like this quote, "Van Halen and back-again lead singer Sammy Hagar are selling thousands of tickets for their summer tour, and that means big-time cash for… former lead singer David Lee Roth?"

How is he going to make big-time cash if the tour isn't immensely successful? Nice job Greenspan, maybe you should have found another article that didn't talk good about the tour.

Uh, keep in mind "it's coming from a fuckin attorney", so how does he know if the tour is successfull or not?? Nice job, dysfunction, you showed your genius again. What's next? Are you gonna say VH is number one on pollstar again and say that proves Van Hagar is the top tour and make yourself look quite the fool again? Please, don't be shy, we enjoy your idiocy.

MAX
06-30-2004, 10:44 PM
Hey Greenbuds,

I think you had better know if you plan on prolonging this conversation with dysfunction, he is the army's official "Town Idiot." :D

RogueHorseman
06-30-2004, 10:52 PM
Originally posted by MAX
Hey Greenbuds,

I think you had better know if you plan on prolonging this conversation with dysfunction, he is the army's official "Town Idiot." :D

Its true, oh so true....

Greenbuds
06-30-2004, 10:56 PM
Originally posted by MAX
Hey Greenbuds,

Yeah, I kinda got that impression. I'm sure he is barely noticable at the links, tho, as that whole place is a 'town of idiots'.

pete
06-30-2004, 11:05 PM
Originally posted by dysfunction
First off, keep in mind this information is coming from a fuckin attorney. Problem is the article also says concerts "that's focused on David Lee Roth-Van Halen tunes". 5 songs out of 20 is not focused on the David Lee Roth era. 1 of those 5 is a fuckin cover so Dave has to split that too dumbass. Or are you going to tell me that Dave wrote "You really got Me."

Why not shut up now?

It's only a matter of time 'til truth comes it.

it will.

you will be the scrotum scum, exposed, that mamma raised you as.

shut the fuck up

yer my bitch

heel as such

pete
06-30-2004, 11:06 PM
Yeah, I kinda got that impression. I'm sure he is barely noticable at the links, tho, as that whole place is a 'town of idiots'.
Well, as you can imagine, the hAGAR forums are pretty beat.

dysfunction
06-30-2004, 11:11 PM
Uh, keep in mind "it's coming from a fuckin attorney", so how does he know if the tour is successfull or not?? Nice job, dysfunction, you showed your genius again.

I fuckin give. You can't have it both ways Alan. You can't start off saying you agree with the article and then when you get your ass handed to you, because you forgot to read where the source came from, you start yelling Pollstar, town idiot. That only extends your ignorance even farther. By the way, just because these fairies get behind you on the subject, that doesn't mean you are anywhere near right.

pete
06-30-2004, 11:12 PM
Well, as you can imagine, the hAGAR forums are pretty beat.

pete
06-30-2004, 11:14 PM
Well, as you can imagine, dysfunction's mother is servicing the NAACP rally

and that's OK

MAX
06-30-2004, 11:27 PM
and that's OK

Uh Oh?!?!?!!!! :eek:

http://www.tommycosmetics.com/owned.gif

Pete did it again!!!!

Enjoy the icebath Town Idiot!!! :wow2:

MAX
06-30-2004, 11:32 PM
I'm sure he is barely noticable at the links.

Fuck, 99.9% of anyone who registered there since the new atrocious songs (if that's what they are?) and pathetic tour are barely noticeable? :D

DavidLeeNatra
07-01-2004, 03:58 AM
you can perform whatever you want live...but the moment you take money you have to pay royalties...normally you give a list of songs with the composers to the promoter (or club owner) and he pays the fees, which depend on how much money comes in alltogether...so it's correct, whenever dave plays a VH song live the sisters and fat micheal make some cash...and if VH play "you really got me" or any other cover they have to pay the composers...