Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ELVIS
    Banned
    • Dec 2003

University of Chicago students offended by gay activist's "transphobic slur"

June 04, 2014

CHICAGO - LGBTQ students at the University of Chicago are circulating a petition objecting to slurs gay rights activist Dan Savage used during a exchange at the school's Institute of Politics event last week.

They said they were made to "feel uncomfortable" by a "transphobic slur"...

The incident occurred when, according to several sources, Savage and [the event hostess Ana Marie] Cox began discussing [Savage's] personal history as a gay man. According to a first-year student and member of the LGBTQ community who asked to be identified as Hex, Savage used the slur t—– as an example in an anecdote about reclaiming words. Cox then added, “I used to make jokes about t—-ies,” audience members recounted.

“That was one of the most hurtful parts,” Hex said, explaining the perceived insult was that Cox used the slur to refer to the group of people she joked about. “In that context, it was like being applied to all transgender people,” it said. (“It” is Hex’s chosen pronoun.)

"Hex" and other met with the IOP Executive Director Steve Edwards, who reported on the meeting to the Chicago Maroon:

“We listened openly and sympathetically to the concerns about language and about the dehumanizing effects of language and expressed our desire not to be a place where dehumanizing language is used,” Edwards said. “At no time did we characterize the language from the event itself.” They also praised the students for standing up against what they perceived as an issue.

But the meeting did not result as the offended expected, so they set up a petition drive on Change.org, asking the IOP organizers to avoid offensive language and terminology being used in presentations in the future.

Edwards said the IOP is working with the Office of Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender and Queer Student Life to develop future training for staff and the board.

• ELVIS
    Banned
    • Dec 2003

What was that ??

The Office of Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender and Queer Student Life ??

Where's the straight, non-freak student life office...across the hall by the freak restrooms ??

The world is so friggin' doomed it's laughable and so sad at the same time...

I feel sorry for the gullible sheep...

Geez Louise...

Last edited by ELVIS; 06-05-2014, 10:40 AM.

Comment

• Seshmeister
      ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Originally posted by ELVIS

Where's the straight, non-freak student life office...
      Everywhere else.

What have you been googling to find yourself at a page about gay student rights?

Comment

• ELVIS
        Banned
        • Dec 2003

Ummm...

Drudge Report...

Ever heard of it ??

Comment

• ELVIS
          Banned
          • Dec 2003

BTW...

Shouldn't Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender and Queer have separate offices ??

It's only fair...

Surely you wouldn't want a bisexual freak to have forced upon them the plight of a transgendered freak ??

What about their feewings ??

Comment

• VetteLS5
            Commando
            • Mar 2012

I get the L,G,B, and T. But the "Q"? Isn't that already covered with the aforementioned letters?

Comment

• Seshmeister
              ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Not really no.

Get with the program sister.

Comment

• ZahZoo
                ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

So "tranny" or "Trannies" are now bad words that make these sexually cuntfused college brats feel all Butt Hurt™..?

Geez what bunch of whiny pussies some of our generation have raised... WTF?
                "If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

Comment

• ELVIS
                  Banned
                  • Dec 2003

See what happens when you start banning words ??

Comment

• PETE'S BROTHER
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • Feb 2007

STUPID!!!
                    Another one of those classic genius posts, sure to generate responses. You log on the next day to see what your witty gem has produced to find no one gets it and 2 knotheads want to stick their dicks in it... Well played, sir!!

Comment

• DONNIEP
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • Mar 2004

Ok, I get the whole lesbian and gay thing. I would have thought that "queer" would fall under the whole Gay Umbrella. And are bisexual people a different category? Or are they just really horny?

Now, the whole transgender thing I don't get. So you're born a boy but you expect everyone to treat you like a girl? That would be like me going around trying to convince people I'm Gordon Gekko. Nah, I say people who are "transgendered" get treated like what they are - guys or chicks. No special bathroom privileges for them.

Lastly, I think all gay guys should have cool names like this gay activist. Dan Savage - now that's a kick ass name for a gay dude. "Hi, I'd like you to meet my boyfriend. Dan Savage. He's an animal!"
                      American by birth. Southern by the grace of God.

Comment

• ELVIS
                        Banned
                        • Dec 2003

Dude, that's lazy, and thanks for making me watch some advert...

But anyway...

Thanks Tyler Perry, Martin Lawrence, Eddie Murphy and all of you other cross dressing fags...

Comment

• vandeleur
                          ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                          • Sep 2009

I think you will read that back sober and go , yeah I come over a bit " those arnt pillows "

You need to trains planes and automobiles up a bit and talk about the game ....,

You big pink sympathiser
                          fuck your fucking framing

Comment

• ELVIS
                            Banned
                            • Dec 2003

Originally posted by DONNIEP

Lastly, I think all gay guys should have cool names like this gay activist. Dan Savage - now that's a kick ass name for a gay dude. "Hi, I'd like you to meet my boyfriend. Dan Savage. He's an animal!"
                            You'd like that, wouldn't you...

Comment

• vandeleur
                              ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                              • Sep 2009

Oh that was aimed a Donniep , p for Panther
                              fuck your fucking framing

Comment

Working...