• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nickdfresh
    SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

2045: The Rise of the Machines?

Sat, Jul 5, 2014, 7:43pm EDT - US Markets are closed

By 2045 'The Top Species Will No Longer Be Humans,' And That Could Be A Problem
    Business Insider
    By Dylan Love 11 hours ago

"Today there's no legislation regarding how much intelligence a machine can have, how interconnected it can be. If that continues, look at the exponential trend. We will reach the singularity in the timeframe most experts predict. From that point on you're going to see that the top species will no longer be humans, but machines."

These are the words of Louis Del Monte, physicist, entrepreneur, and author of "The Artificial Intelligence Revolution." Del Monte spoke to us over the phone about his thoughts surrounding artificial intelligence and the singularity, an indeterminate point in the future when machine intelligence will outmatch not only your own intelligence, but the world's combined human intelligence too.

The average estimate for when this will happen is 2040, though Del Monte says it might be as late as 2045. Either way, it's a timeframe of within three decades.

"It won't be the 'Terminator' scenario, not a war," said Del Monte. "In the early part of the post-singularity world, one scenario is that the machines will seek to turn humans into cyborgs. This is nearly happening now, replacing faulty limbs with artificial parts. We'll see the machines as a useful tool. Productivity in business based on automation will be increased dramatically in various countries. In China it doubled, just based on GDP per employee due to use of machines."

"By the end of this century," he continued, "most of the human race will have become cyborgs [part human, part tech or machine]. The allure will be immortality. Machines will make breakthroughs in medical technology, most of the human race will have more leisure time, and we'll think we've never had it better. The concern I'm raising is that the machines will view us as an unpredictable and dangerous species."

Del Monte believes machines will become self-conscious and have the capabilities to protect themselves. They "might view us the same way we view harmful insects." Humans are a species that "is unstable, creates wars, has weapons to wipe out the world twice over, and makes computer viruses." Hardly an appealing roommate.

He wrote the book as "a warning." Artificial intelligence is becoming more and more capable, and we're adopting it as quickly as it appears. A pacemaker operation is "quite routine," he said, but "it uses sensors and AI to regulate your heart."

A 2009 experiment showed that robots can develop the ability to lie to each other. Run at the Laboratory of Intelligent Systems in the Ecole Polytechnique Fédérale of Lausanne, Switzerland, the experiment had robots designed to cooperate in finding beneficial resources like energy and avoiding the hazardous ones. Shockingly, the robots learned to lie to each other in an attempt to hoard the beneficial resources for themselves.

"The implication is that they're also learning self-preservation," Del Monte told us. "Whether or not they're conscious is a moot point."
  • vandeleur
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    • Sep 2009

I like the idea of the rise of the machines ... every year they will keep threatening to fix the latest bug , will be in years of litagation against apple and finally struggle to get a 4G signal.
    fuck your fucking framing

Comment

• Nickdfresh
      SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Could be a massive war between Apples, PC's, and Androids

Last edited by Nickdfresh; 07-05-2014, 08:05 PM.

Comment

• DONNIEP
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Mar 2004

Aw man, I thought this was gonna be about a new Terminator movie. A good one this time. Oh well.

Now, my iphone can do everything - it'll even let me talk to Jesus, right here. Why in the hell has no one come up with a hack that will make it talk like HAL? I mean, that ain't much to ask for. I'd pay 100 bucks for an app that would allow it to do that. Not just repeat canned lines, but replace SIRI's voice altogether.
        American by birth. Southern by the grace of God.

Comment

• Seshmeister
          ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Originally posted by Nickdfresh
          He wrote the book as "a warning." Artificial intelligence is becoming more and more capable, and we're adopting it as quickly as it appears. A pacemaker operation is "quite routine," he said, but "it uses sensors and AI to regulate your heart."
          Hmmm

I'm not convinced with this at all. It's all in the definition but for example Pacemakers are getting more and more sophisticated and there have been a big bunch of improvements but AI?

Not really, it's just a bunch of pre-programmed rules and human createdalgorithms. If flow to left atrium falls below a level which is less than 10% of averge trigger electric shock and so on. That's not intelligence really and it's definitely not consciousness.

Comment

• vandeleur
            ROTH ARMY SUPREME
            • Sep 2009

Machines are stupid , Ive seen the matrix . Humans as batteries are rubbish. They might as well put the humans on bikes and used as a generator .

Comment

• Satan
              ROTH ARMY ELITE
              • Jan 2004

Look at Cheney. That worthless son of a bitch went several years without a functional heart at all. He had some computer controlled pump until he could buy some Chinese kid's heart on the black market.

And even before that there was some "concerns" at Reichland Security that a "terrorist" might get the IP addy to his pacemaker (yes it actually had wi-fi access) and hack the sick ofd fuck to death.
              Eternally Under the Authority of Satan

Originally posted by Sockfucker
              I've been in several mental institutions but not in Bakersfield.

Comment

• DONNIEP
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Satan
                He had some computer controlled pump until he could buy some Chinese kid's heart on the black market.
                You can buy anything in China!

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                  SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Originally posted by Seshmeister
                  Hmmm

I'm not convinced with this at all. It's all in the definition but for example Pacemakers are getting more and more sophisticated and there have been a big bunch of improvements but AI?

Not really, it's just a bunch of pre-programmed rules and human createdalgorithms. If flow to left atrium falls below a level which is less than 10% of averge trigger electric shock and so on. That's not intelligence really and it's definitely not consciousness.
                  Lemme ask you this. Where were computers thirty years ago? Perhaps not a great indicator as we already had the first functional desktops. But if we go back fifty years it took computers the size of several large rooms to perform the functions that are a fraction of what an iPhone or 'Droid can do --fitting neatly in your pocket. When people like Steven Hawking speak up about this I think there has to be some real concern with the complete lack of legislation and controls in place in the race to create the biggest, baddest, newest, most powerful, etc...

I think the main one is that a supercomputer is created with human like brainpower and reasoning, but somehow becomes self-aware but doesn't exactly advertize this. The computer then goes on to rewrite it's code exponentially increasing its brain power and by the time we realize this we're fucked. Can we just unplug it? Will it install its own energy grid by threatening to destroy the one that exists as a sort of extortion? Who the fuck knows what is possible?

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                    SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Originally posted by vandeleur
                    Machines are stupid , Ive seen the matrix . Humans as batteries are rubbish. They might as well put the humans on bikes and used as a generator .
                    It was a silly premise. They'd just exterminate us.

Comment

• vandeleur
                      ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                      • Sep 2009

It was a silly premise. They'd just exterminate us.
                      or use nuclear power

Comment

• DONNIEP
                        DIAMOND STATUS
                        • Mar 2004

I think the main one is that a supercomputer is created with human like brainpower and reasoning, but somehow becomes self-aware but doesn't exactly advertize this. The computer then goes on to rewrite it's code exponentially increasing its brain power and by the time we realize this we're fucked. Can we just unplug it? Will it install its own energy grid by threatening to destroy the one that exists as a sort of extortion? Who the fuck knows what is possible?
                        Two words: Judgment Day

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                          SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Originally posted by vandeleur
                          or use nuclear power
                          Right! Although I think there was something silly in the script about denying them the necessary uranium or whatever during "the war"...
                          Last edited by Nickdfresh; 07-05-2014, 10:12 PM.

Comment

• Seshmeister
                            ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

All I know is history tells us that futurologists are always completely wrong.

40 years ago we were all meant to be getting jetpacks and robot house workers. They never for a second thought of smart phones or even the internet at that point.

In the same way the best chess computer isn't a person so the same with the AI thing. At present this stuff is all brute force, using multiple options based on a computer.

It's nowhere near consciousness.

Comment

• DONNIEP
                              DIAMOND STATUS
                              • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Seshmeister
                              40 years ago we were all meant to be getting jetpacks
                              I think there's one guy who makes jetpacks for commercial sale. Well, rocket belts. Ridiculously expensive, actually. And the flight time still hasn't increased by much. Just think - you could strap that fucker on, fly down to the beer store and be back before the race comes back from commercial!

Comment

Working...