X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DLR Bridge
    ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2011

Take It Back (Believe Me)

This thread is my personal toast to this absolute gem. The ferocity displayed by all four members, individually and cohesively is off the charts. I can't, for the life of me, imagine how they passed this song by while recording their Warner Bros. demos, unless they did and some how, it remained completely out of circulation.

Having first been recorded during the 1974 Cherokee Studios demo, this song provides a glimpse into the souls of the hungriest up and coming rock band of the early to mid '70s. This song exhibits a display of musicianship that is several years beyond what one should initially expect from a band of young men no older than 21. The longer versions of the song, which all happen to be live performances (see below), each deliver in under four minutes what seasoned veterans of the time could have only hoped to pull off in an eight minute endeavor. Oh, and the kid from Holland hadn't yet stumbled on to his trade mark style of two hand tapping yet. Masterfully enough, as the band's future producer, Ted Templeman would proclaim, Edward provided not only remarkable solo sections, but lead flourishes within the rhythms as well. Something most bands were only able to achieve with either over-dubbing or having two guitarists.

"Well I see you talkin' to him.
    That hurts me so bad.
    What'cha wanna do that for?
    Now that gets me kinda mad."

Young Dave's "keep it simple" lyrical approach coupled with his high impact vocal delivery and guttural wails act as the perfect counter balance to the mathematical intricacies of this progressive jam. He offers up a straight forward, cut to the chase ultimatum, spoken from a man to his woman. Quit messin' around or you're out!

In the earliest known recorded version, which features Mark Stone on bass and, presumably, backing vocals, the gang vocal of "take it back!" falls a touch flat. Enter the ever high backing harmonies of Mr. Michael Anthony, which, along with his solid and underrated bass playing, would round out the dynamic that would define the classic Van Halen sound.

Last edited by DLR Bridge; 08-01-2014, 12:52 AM.
  • DLR Bridge
    ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2011

Comment

• DLR Bridge
      ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2011

Comment

• VAiN
        Use my hand, I won't look
        ROCKSTAR

• Nov 2006

Thanks for bringing this one back.. haven't heard it in a million years. What a killer tune! I guess the idea was it didn't match the material from the first 2 albums.. it's a bit more 'advanced' than the rest of the material... Maybe it'll be on that 2015 release
        Originally posted by wiseguy
        That shit will welcome you in the morning and pour the milk in your count chocula for ya.

Comment

Working...