X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • fraroc
    Commando
    • Jun 2012

"An evening with Van Halen" tour idea.

I've mulled over the idea of a Van Halen setlist with two long sets, similar to how Rush since the Test For Echo tour has done concerts with no opening act which allows for multiple 25+ song setlists with an intermission in the middle. I personally think that Van Halen could DEFINITLEY get away with it. VH, like Rush, is one of the last few bands from the 70s and 80s with the ability to sell out huge football stadiums.

Also, I'd personally love to see something like that. VH performing all their hits from the CVH era, songs from ADKOT and the upcoming 2015 album, deep cuts, and maybe devote most of one set to an album in its entirety.
    How do you spell pretentious? S-A-M-M-Y H-A-G-A-R
  • 78/84 guy
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    • Apr 2005

Keep dreaming !

Comment

• DLR Bridge
      ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2011

I like the split set idea, but not the complete album one. With that, you basically know what you're going to get, song wise. No element of surprise, short of the band jumbling the order. I've always been a big Chesp Trick fan and have seen them many times, but had no interest in seeing them perform one of their early albums straight through. It's forced predictability.

Comment

• fraroc
        Commando
        • Jun 2012

Originally posted by DLR Bridge
        I like the split set idea, but not the complete album one. With that, you basically know what you're going to get, song wise. No element of surprise, short of the band jumbling the order. I've always been a big Chesp Trick fan and have seen them many times, but had no interest in seeing them perform one of their early albums straight through. It's forced predictability.
        Hey, Rush did Moving Pictures in it's entirety in 2011, and EVERY Rush die-hard I know knows the exact order of the songs on Moving Pictures. Yeah, it is predictable, but on the upside, you're hearing songs that haven't been performed live either never, or not for a long time. I would personally love to see Van Halen incorporate 1984 in it's entirety as a part of their setlist because to hear Top Jimmy and Drop Dead Legs live would be absolutely fucking amazing.
        How do you spell pretentious? S-A-M-M-Y H-A-G-A-R

Comment

• twonabomber
          formerly F A T
          ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by DLR Bridge
          After the last two tours, I think we know what we're going to get as a setlist on the next tour.
          Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

• ELVIS
            Banned
            • Dec 2003

I hope they play Jump !!

Comment

• Angel
              ROTH ARMY SUPREME
              • Jan 2004

Originally posted by twonabomber
              After the last two tours, I think we know what we're going to get as a setlist on the next tour.
              "Ya know what they say about angels... An angel is a supernatural being or spirit, usually humanoid in form, found in various religions and mythologies. Plus Roth fan boards..."- ZahZoo April 2013

Comment

• FORD
                ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Van Halen didn't play marathon length sets like Springsteen or the Dead even in their 20s. I doubt they are going to start now.
                Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Angel
                  ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                  • Jan 2004

Originally posted by FORD
                  Van Halen didn't play marathon length sets like Springsteen or the Dead even in their 20s. I doubt they are going to start now.
                  There used to be an intermission though....oh wait....that was the bass solo. (I keed I keed)
                  "Ya know what they say about angels... An angel is a supernatural being or spirit, usually humanoid in form, found in various religions and mythologies. Plus Roth fan boards..."- ZahZoo April 2013

Comment

• Nitro Express
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • Aug 2004

The bass or drum solos were good times to go take a leak.
                    No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• DONNIEP
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • Mar 2004

The bass solo was the best part of the show!! Seriously, I don't know what's wrong with you peoples...

American by birth. Southern by the grace of God.

Comment

• Seshmeister
                        ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Originally posted by FORD
                        I don't like marathon sets no matter who it is.

I would like to see them drop the pointless shitty support act though and stick in an intermission. Seems like a Win-Win to me.

Comment

• vandeleur
                          ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                          • Sep 2009

Drop Ed's solo , he has done it to death
                          fuck your fucking framing

Comment

• Angel
                            ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                            • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Nitro Express
                            The bass or drum solos were good times to go take a leak.
                            I love drum solos, so I could never leave during one. I was raised by a drummer, lol.

Comment

• Angel
                              ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                              • Jan 2004

Originally posted by DONNIEP
                              The bass solo was the best part of the show!! Seriously, I don't know what's wrong with you peoples...

Hey, I don't mind a GOOD bass solo now and then... I just hated some of the "schtick" Mike used to use.

Comment

Working...