Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • guwapo_rocker

These reunited rockers are still a little rusty

July 2, 2004

Eddie Van Halen paused in the middle of his guitar solo Thursday night at Verizon Wireless Music Center to tell the audience of 13,500 that he was having a good time.

He then added candidly, "I don't have a clue what I'm doing."

These remarks reflected the highs and lows of the 15-minute solo showcase. It was less than precise and mostly offered bombast where technique and tone would have impressed.

But when he finally arrived at "Eruption" -- the most distinctive guitar composition in rock history -- there was cathartic victory.

In turn, the 15-minute solo was a microcosm of his band's two-hour concert. The Van Halen reunion show, featuring Sammy Hagar on vocals, veered between the dismal and the sublime.

This time, the pressure isn't on Hagar, whose first stint in the band ran from 1985 to 1996. He's been putting out albums and touring during the past eight years.

Eddie is the man on the spot. Following a weakly received album and tour featuring Gary Cherone on vocals in the late 1990s, the guitarist has been out of the public eye while battling oral cancer, undergoing hip-replacement surgery and splitting from wife Valerie Bertinelli.

His playing revealed too much rust to ignore on Thursday. Disjointed riffs and missed cues derailed opening number "Jump." On follow-up "Runaround," 56-year-old Hagar and 49-year-old Van Halen paid more attention to onstage pranks than to the song.

Fortunately, new tune "Up for Breakfast" soon helped the band straighten up. While it's a basic boogie, the linear and squealing guitar segment returned Van Halen to his "hero" pedestal.

For the rest of the night, Hagar pushed memories of the band's original vocalist, David Lee Roth, to the background. Van Halen always provided a sunny side to hard rock, and Hagar's renditions of "Best of Both Worlds," "Top of the World" and "Why Can't This Be Love" upheld that legacy.

In addition to Eddie's solo, the concert included showcases for Michael Anthony on bass and Alex Van Halen on drums.

The drum clinic was top-notch, as Alex moved from understated jazz percussion to a thundering blowout of call-and-response audience participation.

For Van Halen, this night had too many small-time moments. Or perhaps too much mortality when we were expecting rock gods.

Fans who paid $92.50 for pavilion seats may have felt stung by the performance. For those who grabbed discounted lawn tickets for $25 (plus $10 worth of free food), the price probably was right.

The price was right at $25.00 says it all!!
  • Wayne L.

Who cares if Van Halen is a little rusty because other rock legends like Paul McCartney, the Stones, the Who, Aerosmith, Kiss & Ozzy Osbourne are as well after all these years.

Comment

• Lou

Having seen Aerosmith twice in the past year they are anything but rusty.

Comment

• ELVIS
        Banned
        • Dec 2003

That's bullshit Wayne L.

Comment

• hambon4lif
          Crazy Ass Mofo
          • Jun 2004

......whoa!! hey, could you help me find my way to the DLR army? i think i ended up here at a van halen site by mistake.....fuckin' navigation bar piece'a'shit!!!...........

Comment

• Roth kills Sam
            Foot Soldier
            • Mar 2004

Re: These reunited rockers are still a little rusty

Originally posted by guwapo_rocker
            July 2, 2004

Eddie Van Halen paused in the middle of his guitar solo Thursday night at Verizon Wireless Music Center to tell the audience of 13,500 that he was having a good time.

He then added candidly, "I don't have a clue what I'm doing."

These remarks reflected the highs and lows of the 15-minute solo showcase. It was less than precise and mostly offered bombast where technique and tone would have impressed.

But when he finally arrived at "Eruption" -- the most distinctive guitar composition in rock history -- there was cathartic victory.

In turn, the 15-minute solo was a microcosm of his band's two-hour concert. The Van Halen reunion show, featuring Sammy Hagar on vocals, veered between the dismal and the sublime.

This time, the pressure isn't on Hagar, whose first stint in the band ran from 1985 to 1996. He's been putting out albums and touring during the past eight years.

Eddie is the man on the spot. Following a weakly received album and tour featuring Gary Cherone on vocals in the late 1990s, the guitarist has been out of the public eye while battling oral cancer, undergoing hip-replacement surgery and splitting from wife Valerie Bertinelli.

His playing revealed too much rust to ignore on Thursday. Disjointed riffs and missed cues derailed opening number "Jump." On follow-up "Runaround," 56-year-old Hagar and 49-year-old Van Halen paid more attention to onstage pranks than to the song.

Fortunately, new tune "Up for Breakfast" soon helped the band straighten up. While it's a basic boogie, the linear and squealing guitar segment returned Van Halen to his "hero" pedestal.

For the rest of the night, Hagar pushed memories of the band's original vocalist, David Lee Roth, to the background. Van Halen always provided a sunny side to hard rock, and Hagar's renditions of "Best of Both Worlds," "Top of the World" and "Why Can't This Be Love" upheld that legacy.

In addition to Eddie's solo, the concert included showcases for Michael Anthony on bass and Alex Van Halen on drums.

The drum clinic was top-notch, as Alex moved from understated jazz percussion to a thundering blowout of call-and-response audience participation.

For Van Halen, this night had too many small-time moments. Or perhaps too much mortality when we were expecting rock gods.

Fans who paid $92.50 for pavilion seats may have felt stung by the performance. For those who grabbed discounted lawn tickets for $25 (plus $10 worth of free food), the price probably was right.

The price was right at $25.00 says it all!!

I just thought it was appropriate to quote this entire review as it is so eloquently stated.

Oh, before I forget: Wayne L is a homo

Comment

• Eyes of the Night
              Veteran
              • Jan 2004

At least Ed didn't apologize for his solo this time ...

Broken down n' dirty dressed in rags ...

Comment

• Roth kills Sam
                Foot Soldier
                • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Eyes
                At least Ed didn't apologize for his solo this time ...

DAVE WOULD KICK ED'S ASS IF HE EVER APOLOGIZED FOR HIS SOLO. IN FACT, DAVE WOULD NEVER LET ED WANDER AROUND THE FRETBOARD LIKE A HACK AS HE'S DONE MORE AND MORE SINCE DAVE LEFT.

DAVE FRIGGIN ROCKS

Comment

• Panamark
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Jan 2004

Ed is winging it..

He was playing ok on the Ga y Cherone tour, But has not been locked
                  away composing and practicing for the last six years. Thats now evident. Its also evident that he is only at the "Van Hagar" level of playing ability currently. Van Halen is beyond him at the moment.
                  Its starting to make more sense why fat diaper santa was chosen..
                  Ed knows where he is at, and its not at classic ability levels..

But theres no doubt with continued playing, he could be ready and worthy once again for Dave.
                  BABY PANA 2 IS Coming !! All across the land, let the love and beer flow !
                  Love ya Mary Frances!

Comment

• Roth kills Sam
                    Foot Soldier
                    • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Panamark
                    Ed is winging it..

He was playing ok on the Ga y Cherone tour, But has not been locked
                    away composing and practicing for the last six years. Thats now evident. Its also evident that he is only at the "Van Hagar" level of playing ability currently. Van Halen is beyond him at the moment.
                    Its starting to make more sense why fat diaper santa was chosen..
                    Ed knows where he is at, and its not at classic ability levels..

But theres no doubt with continued playing, he could be ready and worthy once again for Dave.
                    This a great post. I do agree that Ed COULD be ready and worthy, but I have lost faith that he will really discipline himself to achieve the greatness he once had. So, when I commonly mention here that Ed sucks and will never be great again, it is just because I don't think he has the heart for it...

how sad

Comment

• RogueHorseman
                      Commando
                      • Apr 2004

Originally posted by Wayne L.
                      Who cares if Van Halen is a little rusty because other rock legends like Paul McCartney, the Stones, the Who, Aerosmith, Kiss & Ozzy Osbourne are as well after all these years.
                      Quit talking out of your ass.
                      <object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/K7_U-zj2gfE"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/K7_U-zj2gfE" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Comment

• Figs
                        Crazy Ass Mofo
                        • Jun 2004

For the rest of the night, Hagar pushed memories of the band's original vocalist, David Lee Roth, to the background.
                        Can't agree with this part of the review. Only if you never were much of a fan of Classic VH, or have no taste.

Van Halen always provided a sunny side to hard rock, and Hagar's renditions of "Best of Both Worlds," "Top of the World" and "Why Can't This Be Love" upheld that legacy.
                        A "sunny side?" Is that a way to tip-toe around saying the Van Hagar era songs are gay?

Comment

• Roth kills Sam
                          Foot Soldier
                          • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Figs
                          A "sunny side?" Is that a way to tip-toe around saying the Van Hagar era songs are gay?
                          Let's not tip-toe... VAN HAGAR ARE GAY!!

Comment

• guwapo_rocker

Originally posted by Roth kills Sam
                            This a great post. I do agree that Ed COULD be ready and worthy, but I have lost faith that he will really discipline himself to achieve the greatness he once had. So, when I commonly mention here that Ed sucks and will never be great again, it is just because I don't think he has the heart for it...

how sad
                            I agree with you guys but at the same time I think
                            Ed's next gig is going to have to be at the Betty Ford
                            clinic or he may never return to form.

I realize he is a rock guitarist and partying is part
                            of the lifestyle especially while out on tour, but it
                            sounds to me like he is drinking enough to kill
                            two people.

I hope he wakes up and saves himself and then
                            saves Van Halen by reuniting with Dave.

Comment

• Roth kills Sam
                              Foot Soldier
                              • Mar 2004

AMEN

Comment

Working...