• Show
Clear All
  • jacksmar
    Full Member Status

• Feb 2004

Dead as Detroit

Detroit’s demise was decades in the making

By Keith B. Richburg July 19, 2013

My heart aches today knowing that my beloved home town of Detroit now has the notoriety of being the largest American city to officially file for bankruptcy. But the filing was really just a formality. Detroit has really been broke, broken and in decay now for decades — a shell of a city, with a small downtown and some scattered neighborhoods dissected by miles of abandoned storefronts and vacant lots.

The Detroit I remember ceased to exist a long time ago. But it was kept alive by a pride, a nostalgia for its former glory, and an illusion that revival was just around the next corner. We who love Detroit — even people like me who abandoned it long ago — were all complicit. I could visit for a week or a weekend, set the rental car stereo to the Motown oldies or classic Detroit rock songs from a bygone era, take in a Tigers game, have a hot dog and a Vernors ginger ale at Lafayette Coney Island downtown, and comfort myself with the fiction that this was still the same city I knew growing up as a kid.

Of course, the old neighborhoods are nothing like they were. My older cousins and aunties in their 70s, 80s and 90s are still in the same houses as before. But theirs are some of the few houses still standing on streets that are now mostly abandoned; they live behind metal burglar bars on their windows and the curtains and shades pulled tight. If I go in the winter, I know their streets will never be cleared of snow and ice, so the driving is treacherous. And I never go out at night. My old house on McGraw Street burned down and was reduced to rubble years ago.

Most of the old-time residents say they never plan to move, even though city services are virtually nonexistent in the old neighborhoods and most of the neighbors are gone. It’s a pride, a stubbornness and an attitude of “I bought this home 40 years ago, and no crack addicts or gangbangers are going to drive me out of it!”

It’s that attitude that led many Detroiters to instantly reject Mayor Dave Bing’s plan to shrink the size of the sprawling city to geographically consolidate the people, and the services. It’s an admirable obstinacy Detroiters have. It’s also why the city was destined to go bust.

Bing aside, much of the political class is also bankrupt. Detroit politics has been wracked by a series of corruption scandals, going back to the Coleman Young years. The last elected mayor before Bing, Kwame Kilpatrick — better known as the “Player Mayor” for his extravagant lifestyle of bling and parties — sits in prison for felony corruption. But Detroiters are prideful and protective of their own; even when Kilpatrick and his associates were shown to be corrupt, many Detroiters came out to support him, blaming the prosecutors for unfairly targeting a black elected official.

In fact, therein lies the real truth about Detroit, one that I’m loath to admit. For all my fond memories of Detroit from the 1960s and ’70s, it was always one of America’s most racially polarized cities. Older Detroiters are correct that the city was surrounded by a ring of often-hostile white suburbs, in a largely conservative state that had little time for a poor, destitute, Democratic and black city.

Peak period

Writers often speak of Detroit’s “glory days” as the 1940s and ’50s, when the city came to symbolize America’s manufacturing prowess and Detroit’s population peaked at nearly 2 million people, making it the fourth-largest city in the United States behind New York, Chicago and Los Angeles. But it was also a deeply divided city, with Southern white and Southern black transplants in an uneasy, combustible mix.

There were race riots in the ’40s, when whites didn’t want to work on assembly lines next to blacks. And new black residents were “redlined” into certain neighborhoods. The police force was all white and like an occupying army in black neighborhoods. My father would always point out to me the restaurants along Grand River Avenue or Woodward that would not serve blacks when he arrived in the city.

Of course the city did explode, in riots in 1967, and that was when Detroit’s downfall — its current path to insolvency — was set in agonizing slow motion. The white families in my neighborhood, my friends, all fled to the safety of the suburbs. My street, and my neighborhood, went from mixed to all black in an instant. Many of the black newcomers who came couldn’t get mortgages, so most ended up as renters, not homeowners.

Properties fell into disrepair. Drugs, prostitution and burglaries soared. My parents had burglar bars installed on all the downstairs windows; the thieves climbed a front-yard tree and came in the upstairs. They had upstairs bars installed. The burglars ripped those bars out and hit us again. And again. And again, until my parents finally moved far away, to the very edge of Detroit on the border of Dearborn.

I never wanted to say it aloud, but my old neighborhood had become the quintessential American ghetto. Like others, I wanted to cling to the illusion that this was just some passing phase, that my old neighborhood, the heart of the city, might someday be restored. Like everyone else, I whistled past the abandoned lots.

Racial politics

The white population’s abandonment of the city left Detroit with a shrinking tax base and deteriorating, segregated public schools — a system locked in place by a Supreme Court order that halted busing across school district lines. But blacks still in Detroit had one thing left — political power. And they would guard it jealously against any encroachment, real or imagined.

Thus, the city’s black political class sees conspiracy theories everywhere. The investigation of the last mayor by the Detroit Free Press, and his indictment by a prosecutor, are seen as a white conspiracy to undermine black “home rule” of Detroit. The governor’s appointment of an emergency financial manager, once it became clear that Detroit cannot manage its own fiscal affairs, is again seen as a hostile, racist takeover by the state over the city’s elected black leadership.

Racial politics, and that racial prism, long ago ruined Detroit, and now they hamper any chance the city has at a modest recovery. As a longtime friend, one who has stayed in Detroit and worked to help the city, once put it to me succinctly: “Some people would rather be the king of nothing than a part of something.”

So this bankruptcy is sad. But it was, in a sense, inevitable — the final chapter in Detroit’s long slide from glory. Maybe this will be the kind of shock therapy the city needs, the hammer blow that gets the remaining residents to stop living in the past, recognize that the old Detroit is never coming back, and start making the painful sacrifices necessary to build a new, smaller city with what’s left.

I hope so. But somehow I doubt it. If we Detroiters have one fault, it’s that we are addicted to nostalgia and living in our highly selective view of the past.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

KK, I made trip to Detroit to pick a shipment of technology back in 2002. The city was dangerous and littered and I was amazed by the blight.

Some 10+ years later, nothing has changed. A high tax rate would never fix 100 million that was over spent by the city since 2008.

I went to the Belle Isle Indycar race years back and realized Roger Penske had pissed away millions he would never see again.
    A NATION OF COWARDS - Jeffrey R. Snyder
  • ashstralia
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    • Feb 2004

There's something grotesquely beautiful about abandoned industrial areas. Parts of inner Sydney that were grimy working class hovels 100 years ago are now gentrified yuppie havens.

It's a shame that ain't never happening in Motown.

Comment

• jacksmar
      Full Member Status

• Feb 2004

Originally posted by ashstralia
      There's something grotesquely beautiful about abandoned industrial areas. Parts of inner Sydney that were grimy working class hovels 100 years ago are now gentrified yuppie havens.

It's a shame that ain't never happening in Motown.
      I visited Surfers Paradise for an Indycar race back in 1994. Australia is so beautiful we didn't want to leave.

Detroit used to be home to the rich in the U.S., richer than Chicago. Now they can't keep the lights on.

Comment

• ashstralia
        ROTH ARMY ELITE
        • Feb 2004

Man, that Gold Coast Indy was a great thing. In '02 I got to spend raceday as a guest of Cristiano Da Matta's pit crew. One of the best days of my life. Unfortunately went tits up a few years ago, now they run it as a local V8 super car fixture.

Comment

• jacksmar
          Full Member Status

• Feb 2004

Originally posted by kwame k
          So you want to return to a top tax bracket marginal tax rate of 91%.

Corporate tax rates of 50%.

Sounds like commie lib redistribution of wealth
          Fair taxes, feed the poor, housing for everyone (housing is a right), clean and safe roads, clean and safe cities, well trained and outfitted military, the list goes on.......................

Just as long as a bunch of assholes unable to work a beer fart out of a man's ass with a crowbar in Washington DC aren't the administrators of our tax dollars..........

KK, you'd be very surprised to learn that I'm to the left of most everyone at RA with regard to their welfare. I want people well paid for their work, enough to be able to give most of it away and still have time for family and friends and church and fishing and hot tubs and staying up all night and; you get it...........

Comment

• kwame k
            TOASTMASTER GENERAL
            • Feb 2008

Yeah, I was born in Detroit and my family was from there.

Rampant corruption played a huge part in its downfall but..........the mass exodus to the suburbs started way before the race riots and with the help of the GI bill many returning vets to afford cheap housing in the suburbs by the late 1940's. Cultural shifts and the mainstream popularity of the American Dream being owning a house in the suburbs helped, too. With the vast improvements in roads, people could afford to commute, whereas they couldn't in the past decades. Tons of factories moved to Trenton, River Rouge and the outlying suburbs because the inner city factories were becoming obsolete or not cost effective to retrograde with the changing technologies. Cheaper land and better tax breaks, too.

I never quite understood how the majority of blacks could keep voting in a corrupt and criminal mayor like Young over and over! So the residents from the laTe 60's on played a part! When I was going for my Commerical Real Estate, CCIM.........a term called Block Busting was brought up and was so rampant back in the 60's that eventually it became a law. Basically, realtors we're going block to block in neighborhoods telling white homeowners that the blacks were moving into their area and since their property values were going down they might as well sell the house to the realtor. Then they'd sell the house to a black couple on a type of land contract or outright but never register the deed and illegally foreclose and resell the house, over and over. It was fascinating to learn about all this when I was going for my Brokers and CCIM. Many of the MI real estate laws were a direct results of the dishonest and fear-mongering tacits used by realtors back then to make a buck.

The good news is Detroit is making a gradual comeback and people/industry are moving back. Will it ever be a world class city on par with it's glory days........probably not but there's nowhere to go but up.

Hard choices still need to be made and so many neighborhoods need to be torn down that the time, money and effort will take years to fix.
            Last edited by kwame k; 01-08-2015, 04:18 PM.
            Originally posted by vandeleur
            E- Jesus . Playing both sides because he didnt understand the argument in the first place

Comment

• jacksmar
              Full Member Status

• Feb 2004

Originally posted by ashstralia
              Man, that Gold Coast Indy was a great thing. In '02 I got to spend raceday as a guest of Cristiano Da Matta's pit crew. One of the best days of my life. Unfortunately went tits up a few years ago, now they run it as a local V8 super car fixture.
              The V8's are awesome. da Matta was another great story. I'll check to see if he's in St Pete this year. He's a good friend of Dale Coyne.

Comment

• kwame k
                TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                • Feb 2008

Originally posted by jacksmar
                Fair taxes, feed the poor, housing for everyone (housing is a right), clean and safe roads, clean and safe cities, well trained and outfitted military, the list goes on.......................

Just as long as a bunch of assholes unable to work a beer fart out of a man's ass with a crowbar in Washington DC aren't the administrators of our tax dollars..........

KK, you'd be very surprised to learn that I'm to the left of most everyone at RA with regard to their welfare. I want people well paid for their work, enough to be able to give most of it away and still have time for family and friends and church and fishing and hot tubs and staying up all night and; you get it.........
                I've been saying in this forum for years that welfare should never be given, unless in extreme circumstances, to anyone. If you want to collect a welfare check, you'll be put to work to earn it.

Breaking the cycle of generational welfare needs to happen.........the benefits of an FDR type work program are many and it could fix our crumbling infrastructure in the process. If you amortize the weekly amount that a typical welfare recipient gets.........their hourly wage would be less than a worker doing the same job. So It'd be cheap labor but fair labor. Daycare would need to be addressed but it's not an insurmountable hurdle.

I firmly believe if you put a person to work they'll lift themselves up and have some pride.
                Last edited by kwame k; 01-08-2015, 04:31 PM.
                E- Jesus . Playing both sides because he didnt understand the argument in the first place

Comment

• jacksmar
                  Full Member Status

• Feb 2004

KK, I can't put put the blame exactly on the voters, black or white.

Greed killed Detroit. 65 years ago New York City couldn't keep up with Detroit. The irony is that there have been some from NYC move to Detroit as it's bleeding money.

100,000 plus a year in Detroit makes you very well to do and attracts people that want to do better.

I'd really like to see Detroit comeback in a big way but exactly like you stated about tough choices, it won't be easy but the result could be pleasantly surprising.

Comment

• DLR Bridge
                    ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2011

A lot of the same can be said for Camden, N.J.

Hard to imagine some places ever getting remotely back on their feet again.

Comment

• kwame k
                      TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                      • Feb 2008

KK, I can't put put the blame exactly on the voters, black or white.

Greed killed Detroit. 65 years ago New York City couldn't keep up with Detroit. The irony is that there have been some from NYC move to Detroit as it's bleeding money.

100,000 plus a year in Detroit makes you very well to do and attracts people that want to do better.

I'd really like to see Detroit comeback in a big way but exactly like you stated about tough choices, it won't be easy but the result could be pleasantly surprising.

For 20 years the people of Detroit voted Coleman Young mayor!

He makes Kwame K look like a saint compared the corruption he did.

NYC was a shithole in the 70's and 80's but they came back in the late 80's early 90's to a world class city!

During the same time frame Young raped a pillaged Detroit and they kept voting him in! Classic case of voting against your own self interest!

Comment

• jacksmar
                        Full Member Status

• Feb 2004

Originally posted by DLR Bridge;

http://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0LEV...DsIAeO12RsMqg-
                        Ironically,, Trenton is in bad shape and pretty much could have been the title of the article.

Comment

• kwame k
                          TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                          • Feb 2008

Originally posted by DLR Bridge

http://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0LEV...DsIAeO12RsMqg-
                          Yeah but it's Jersey so it's expected

I keed!

Comment

• DLR Bridge
                            ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2011

Ironically,, Trenton is in bad shape and pretty much could have been the title of the article.
                            Yeah, throw Irvington, Newark and a good handful of others on there. Bummer.

Comment

• DLR Bridge
                              ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2011

Originally posted by kwame k
                              Yeah but it's Jersey so it's expected

I keed!
                              Why, I oughta....

Comment

Working...