X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Va Beach VH Fan
    ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    • Dec 2003

Atlas Music Group Signs the Van Halen Brothers

No earthly clue what implications this has on the past, present or future of the band, but whatever....

Publishing Briefs: Atlas Music Group Sign Eddie & Alex Van Halen, Sony/ATV & Spotify Ink European Licensing Deal
    By Ed Christman | February 18, 2015 4:11 AM EST

The Atlas Music Group continues to make moves to put the firm at the forefront of the music publishing map. In its latest action, it has signed Eddie and Alex Van Halen to an exclusive worldwide publishing administration deal.

The deal covers Van Halen's entire catalog except for the last album, A Different Kind of Truth.

"This deal has been a long time coming," Atlas Music Group CEO Rich Stumpf told Billboard. "I have been after Irvin Azoff [the manager for the brothers] and Peter Paterno [the lawyer for the brothers], for five years to find out if there would ever be an opportunity to work with the Van Halen catalog. They are my favorite all-time band so this is kind of a surreal moment where my professional and personal lives are coming together."

Now that he has landed his dream band, the work begins. "We will give their music the proper push for synchronizations in films, TV and commercials," Stump says. "This is a premium catalog, so we will look for the right films and brand advertisers to place their music with."

As part of that move, Stumpf says they will focus on opportunities to reach the younger music consumers. "That is how you maintain the value of the [legacy artists] catalog by reaching the younger generations that come along," he says. "A lot of the decision makers themselves are young so we will have to educate them on the importance of Van Halen, and not just their many hits."

The deal now brings the Atlas Music Group catalog to about 4,000 songs, including the Combustion Music catalog the company acquired in September 2014. As part of that deal, Atlas and the Nashville publisher created a going forward joint-venture.

Consequently, the company now has 25-30 active songwriters, with 15 staffers in three locations, New York, Los Angeles and Nashville.

"This is the most important band we have signed; they are legends," says Stumpf, who launched Atlas in 2013. "It speaks volumes that after being with one company for 30 years that they have chosen to move to an independent music publisher that is trying to do things a little differently…This is an important moment not just for us for the independent music publishing community."

Previously, the duo's music publishing catalog had been handled by Warner/Chappell Music. "We will help ensure that new generations of music listeners are keenly aware of just how important Van Halen is to the music world and how incredible their songwriting is," Stumpf said in a statement.
    Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth
  • Satan
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    • Jan 2004

Sounds like the primary "goal" of this Atlas company is to whore the music out in commercials. I'm sure Velveeta is happy to know they can finally license the Van Hagar ballads.
    Eternally Under the Authority of Satan

Originally posted by Sockfucker
    I've been in several mental institutions but not in Bakersfield.

Comment

• qikgts
      Head Fluffer
      • Jan 2012

Well, things can't get any worse then they are now. Hopefully something good comes from it.
      You're gonna hear the angels sing...

Comment

• ELVIS
        Banned
        • Dec 2003

Van Halen am DONE !!

Put a fork in 'em...

Comment

• VAiN
          Use my hand, I won't look
          ROCKSTAR

• Nov 2006

So Ed & Al control all of the CVH catalog? Dave has no say?
          Originally posted by wiseguy
          That shit will welcome you in the morning and pour the milk in your count chocula for ya.

Comment

• Jérôme Frenchise
            ROTH ARMY SUPREME
            • Nov 2004

Originally posted by VAiN
            This is exactly what I'm wondering about. I know Michael Anthony gave up (had to give up) his rights, but thought Dave still had his own...

Did he have to give them up at some point between 2007 and now?

Anything related to that in Dave's site blackout?
            posted by Ellyllions Men say, "I'll never understand women." That's a very lonely place to be if you're a woman because we don't understand half of what we do either.
            posted by ALinChainz Katy, Pipe down, pump off, and fly back to your cave you old bat.

Comment

• Von Halen
              ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Dec 2003

The guy says he signed the "band", but it clearly states he signed Ed and Alex. No mention of Wolf, or Dave.

Hopefully this dude can talk them into releasing the old shows. That's really all I'm down to giving a fuck about, with these guys.

Comment

• Satan
                ROTH ARMY ELITE
                • Jan 2004

Originally posted by VAiN
                Dave has a separate publishing deal, but I wouldn't be surprised if Atlas is talking to him too, because it would be a little difficult to license these songs out to movies, tv, or commercials without being able to use the lyrics. "Eruption", "Spanish Fly", and "Cathedral" can only take you so far......

Same could be said of Hagar when the cheese companies come to call, for that matter.

Comment

• Jérôme Frenchise
                  ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                  • Nov 2004

Originally posted by Von Halen
                  The guy says he signed the "band", but it clearly states he signed Ed and Alex. No mention of Wolf, or Dave.
                  So Dave has no say, does he?

Hopefully this dude can talk them into releasing the old shows. That's really all I'm down to giving a fuck about, with these guys.
                  So do I, and it just seems they don't realize how much more §§§§ they would make with old live footage than with the "definitive" concert they're about to release.
                  posted by Ellyllions Men say, "I'll never understand women." That's a very lonely place to be if you're a woman because we don't understand half of what we do either.
                  posted by ALinChainz Katy, Pipe down, pump off, and fly back to your cave you old bat.

Comment

• Satan
                    ROTH ARMY ELITE
                    • Jan 2004

This is a publishing deal, so it probably wouldn't have any significant impact on emptying the vaults. But since Ed seems to be in "cashing in on the past" mode now, it's only logical that archival releases are the next step. He has to be aware of how well this has worked for Pearl Jam, the Stones, the Dead, Dylan, and everyone else who has released volumes of live & studio archives.

Comment

• Von Halen
                      ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Dec 2003

Originally posted by Satan
                      This is a publishing deal, so it probably wouldn't have any significant impact on emptying the vaults. But since Ed seems to be in "cashing in on the past" mode now, it's only logical that archival releases are the next step. He has to be aware of how well this has worked for Pearl Jam, the Stones, the Dead, Dylan, and everyone else who has released volumes of live & studio archives.
                      Yeah, I doubt a "publishing deal" would want to have anything to do with publishing their vaulted stuff.

This guy admits VH is his favorite band ever. If he is 1/32 the fan I am, he knows where the real value in this deal lies. He admitted one portion of it. I would bet money he has it in his head to get into the vaulted stuff.

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
                        ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
                        • Dec 2003

Yeah, I doubt a "publishing deal" would want to have anything to do with publishing their vaulted stuff.

This guy admits VH is his favorite band ever. If he is 1/32 the fan I am, he knows where the real value in this deal lies. He admitted one portion of it. I would bet money he has it in his head to get into the vaulted stuff.

Or, you can whisper it into his virtual ear....

Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• ZahZoo
                          ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

If you follow the active LLC structures for Ed and Al... It paints a very clear picture as to ownership of the Van Halen Catalog.

Look up Dave and there's no active linkages into Van Halen music LLC's. Whatever Dave has a say in is handled via separate contract agreements... but what's clear his name isn't listed as an officer, member or anything that's active today with the Van Halen name attached.

I seriously doubt this Publishing deal has any hooks into unreleased material... it might if/when any of it gets released. But that option sure hasn't been on the table yet.
                          "If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

Comment

• ELVIS
                            Banned
                            • Dec 2003

You think Ed thinks it's too late for a new singer ??

Comment

• FORD
                              ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by ELVIS
                              You think Ed thinks it's too late for a new singer ??
                              Maybe he can make an album with Alex Jones, and call it "A Different Kind Of Crisis Actor"
                              Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

Working...