guwapo_rocker
07-03-2004, 09:39 AM
Ahhhhh is widdle Spam unhappy AGAIN! It's
starting, the end is near my friends!!!

Posted on Sat, Jul. 03, 2004

Van Halen looks bit rusty

Band does play songs of Roth era, but Hagar doesn't seem happy

``Are we having fun yet?!''

That was the question Sammy Hagar, once again the lead singer of Van Halen, asked the large and loud crowd Friday night at Gund Arena.

The answer seemed to be yes as fans -- a mix of mullets, yuppies, longtime fans and a few youngsters -- welcomed Van Halen back to active duty.

Appropriately, the show began with a classic squeal from Eddie Van Halen's guitar, followed by a huge drum roll from brother Alex and another squeal from the Hagar voice box. The band has been inactive since the failure of the Gary Cherone experiment in 1998, Eddie's bout with tongue cancer (which apparently didn't scare him enough to quit smoking), and Eddie's divorce from actress Valerie Bertinelli. Hagar, meanwhile, returned to his solo career and embarked on an ill-fated tour with original VH singer David Lee Roth.

Since the re-formation and tour announcement, VH members have talked about the happy vibes, and Hagar promised that his long-standing aversion to playing material from the Roth era was over. That claim appeared true, as the band opened its two-hour set with a version of Jump that was marred by the terrible mix that made the drums and guitar sound as if the amps were in a high school bathroom stall. By the third song, Human Being, from the Twister soundtrack, the sound was better, just in time for one of the band's new songs, Up For Breakfast, an unexciting midtempo grinder.

Hagar soldiered through an otherwise blazing Unchained, but bassist Michael Anthony sang Van Halen II's Somebody Get Me A Doctor, and Hagar didn't appear to particularly enjoy singing Ain't Talkin' Bout Love or Panama, repeatedly shoving the mic into Anthony's face, forcing him to sing the verses of the latter.

Eddie Van Halen, who has been relatively incognito since the turn of the century, pulled out all the usual tricks. His 15-minute solo spot consisted of bursts of guitar acrobatics that included bits from his guitar manifesto Eruption as well as Cathedral, the intro to Mean Streets.

The band members, all older than 50 except for Eddie (49), play with energy and drive, but seemed a bit rusty, occasionally missing cues and flubbing some of the trickier parts of songs such as the sing-along Why Can't This Be Love and Poundcake.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.ohio.com/mld/ohio/living/9073110.htm?1c

moose
07-03-2004, 09:42 AM
Let's just see how bad the review is going to be for tonights crap fest at the ACC.

guwapo_rocker
07-03-2004, 09:59 AM
"During a recent performance in Philadelphia, the band proved it wasn't on the same level it was during the last run of Van Hagar. Sure, it predictably delivered the hits, but there was a certain spark that was missing. Hagar has the pipes but lacks the charisma of Diamond Dave, who was last seen playing high-stakes poker in a Sopranos episode."

"The Philly audience was filled with fans sporting mullets and overgrown mustaches. The fashion-challenged audience totally gave it up for Eddie Van Halen and lost it during every guitar solo."

"After the retrospective, the next Van Halen offering will probably be in the form of a DVD or live album since the band is taping its concerts."

http://www.freetimes.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=1662

Well, we sure as hell know they can't write new stuff, but a live

DVD of this abortion? I think they will can that idea after they

view the vids.

Did I just hear Dave laughing??

moose
07-03-2004, 10:01 AM
Hey g just over at ticketmaster.ca, on my first search found 4 primo tickets to to-nites crapfest. Sec 109 All Tickets available. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH what a fuckin joke this band is can't even sell out in the BIG SMOKE, guess we just don't want em' anymore.:D

moose
07-03-2004, 10:05 AM
"The Philly audience was filled with fans sporting mullets and overgrown mustaches. The fashion-challenged audience totally gave it up for Eddie Van Halen and lost it during every guitar solo."

LMMFAO!

Did I just hear Dave laughing?? [/B][/QUOTE]

OH yes you did all the way to the BANK!

Lou
07-03-2004, 10:06 AM
Originally posted by guwapo_rocker
Hagar soldiered through an otherwise blazing Unchained, but bassist Michael Anthony sang Van Halen II's Somebody Get Me A Doctor, and Hagar didn't appear to particularly enjoy singing Ain't Talkin' Bout Love or Panama, repeatedly shoving the mic into Anthony's face, forcing him to sing the verses of the latter.

Yeah no kidding. Fuck this band. What is WRONG with people that they'd want to go see this?

DR CHIP
07-03-2004, 10:17 AM
The end is near....

guwapo_rocker
07-03-2004, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by DR CHIP
The end is near....

Yep, the fat lady is screeching!!

On sorry, that's Spammy!!:D

RogueHorseman
07-03-2004, 12:45 PM
I just KNEW from the start this tour was doomed.

ALL signs pointed to failure.

Its all but over, 'cept for the cryin.

AJW
07-03-2004, 01:40 PM
What does everyone foresee? Is this the end of VH (well actually the end was in 1986)? I don't think so. I also don't think Dave will be welcomed back either. It's too late for that IMHO as much as I would want them to welcome him back. Your thoughts. Be serious when you answer.:D

Samsonite
07-03-2004, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by moose
Hey g just over at ticketmaster.ca, on my first search found 4 primo tickets to to-nites crapfest. Sec 109 All Tickets available. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH what a fuckin joke this band is can't even sell out in the BIG SMOKE, guess we just don't want em' anymore.:D

The way ticketmaster sells them is all messed up. I bought for the Gund Arena they were selling upper level seats one day and then I went back another day and they were selling floor seats. The Cleveland show was close to a sellout. It was a great show. Hagar didn't throw the mic in Anthony's face. Anthony and Ed sang part of Ain't Talkin bout Love though. But it was the best show I've ever seen. Way better then Dave last year....I think he played for right around 300 people.

POJO_Risin
07-03-2004, 03:22 PM
This is utterly ridiculous...talked to one of my good friends who went to the show last night...a Dave fan...said the place wasn't close to a sell out...

Sammy fans will say the place was close to a sell out...

half empty...half full...

probably somewhere in the middle...

point is...Van Halen is done...finished...kaput...as a major force in rock with dave...poprock with Sammy...

nobody gives a shit anymore...hell...if Dave fronted this band...let's be honest...it would be the same thing...probably more interest since they haven't performed live since 1985...but not much more...

Van Halen is a joke...and it's not Sammy's fault, or Cherone (can't blame a fag for being a fag)...it's Ed's...period. Tongue cancer my ass...dude's just flat out nuts. and anyone that accepts anything from this band just because that fucking moron stamps VH on it is kidding themselves...

VH should be enjoying the same reverance as Led Zeppelin, Plant, Clapton (even though he pussed out), the Stones (not a fan, but can't complain about their stadium sellouts)...but no...they are being compared to Hilary Duff, Earth, Wind and Fire, and Chicago...struggling to sell out Arenas.

Had they have kept Sham 9 years ago...no...they wouldn't be as revered as they could have been...but they wouldn't be struggling to sell out anything...

Had roth joined in '96...they would have had a tour that would have broken records...no doubt about it...

Had Roth joined in 2000...they would have had a bigass tour as well...

...you know what they say Eddie...you cry wolf enough...people will stop listening...and they have...

Stop comparing Van Hagar to Van Halen...just compare them to what they once were...Van Hagar to Van Hagar...and they don't even meet that standard...

bon voyage...

Va Beach VH Fan
07-03-2004, 03:23 PM
The bad reviews just keep piling up....

POJO_Risin
07-03-2004, 03:30 PM
Shhh...Va...if you're quiet bro...the Hagar...er Eddie...er...sorry, "The Real Van Halen fans" won't see this...and wake up to reality...

Va Beach VH Fan
07-03-2004, 03:31 PM
I'm sure they'll have a "logical" explanation for it...

I've got it...

It's the media's fault...

Yeah, that's it...

POJO_Risin
07-03-2004, 03:32 PM
Those fucking bastards in the media...BASTARDS!

dysfunction
07-03-2004, 03:49 PM

LMMFAO!

Did I just hear Dave laughing??

OH yes you did all the way to the BANK! [/B][/QUOTE]

http://www.ink19.com/issues_F/00_02/live_ink/029_david_lee_roth.shtml

Jannus Landing is an outdoor venue that holds about 1000 people. While DLR could have drawn 800 people, it rained mildly and intermittently the entire night, so there were only about 600 people in attendance. 300 of these attendees had mullet haircuts (short on the front, long in the back). I have never seen more, or a wider variety of, mullets. Every genotype. Mullets to the waist. Mullet couples. I saw two men who had recently cut off their mullets: I could tell because both men had unnatural stubby nubs on their necks. The cut was uneven and the nubs looked exposed and tender. Were it not for the distraction of those mullets, we would have noticed how expensive the alcohol was and my friends and I may have been bored for the two and a half-hours it took Roth to commence rocking.

Mezro
07-03-2004, 03:50 PM

And you wonder why I left that fucking town. There are so many mutants stuck in a 1986 timewarp that I feel out of place without frosted jeans, a painted jacket and a zebra stripped bandanna.

Mezro...and don't buy the "city of brotherly love" bullshit either....just a bunch of bitter dogs chasing an empty stick

Va Beach VH Fan
07-03-2004, 04:11 PM
Originally posted by dysfunction
Jannus Landing is an outdoor venue that holds about 1000 people. While DLR could have drawn 800 people, it rained mildly and intermittently the entire night, so there were only about 600 people in attendance. 300 of these attendees had mullet haircuts (short on the front, long in the back). I have never seen more, or a wider variety of, mullets. Every genotype. Mullets to the waist. Mullet couples. I saw two men who had recently cut off their mullets: I could tell because both men had unnatural stubby nubs on their necks. The cut was uneven and the nubs looked exposed and tender. Were it not for the distraction of those mullets, we would have noticed how expensive the alcohol was and my friends and I may have been bored for the two and a half-hours it took Roth to commence rocking.

You and I had this conversation several weeks ago Mr. Dyfunction, but I don't mind repeating my contention....

While the constant referencing of DLR's post-VH career and the associated venues/crowds that go along with it have not been, shall we say, overflowing, why does it always seem like while you're dogging DLR, you're also inferring that Sambo is/was this huge megastar as a solo artist ??? You don't come out and say that, I won't put words in your mouth, but that is the inference IMO.....

OK, Dave plays to relatively small crowds in small venues after his departure from VH, I concur with that 100%... But I sure as hell didn't see Sambo and that EXTREMELY mediocre band he had/has play to any bigger crowds in any bigger venues....

Sambo's bread is buttered MUCH heavier (no pun intended :D ) now that he's back in VH....

WHEN he's kicked back out of VH (not IF) because of lousy sales and reviews on this travesty of a tour, he'll be back to playing the House of Blues, just like the solo DLR does....

ALinChainz
07-03-2004, 04:15 PM
Dave doesn't have anything to do with this sad version of VH garnering shitty reviews.

Erectile Dysfunction likes to pit solo Dave to Sammy with VH, when the real comparison should be Dave with VH vs Sammy with VH, Dave solo vs Sam solo.

It isn't Dave's performance that have critics writing these BAD reviews about the current VH tour.

Notice Justin posted his little jab and bailed.

Matt White
07-03-2004, 04:23 PM
If the lying Dutchmen finally get the BIG PICTURE....the only way for a band thats been around as long as VH to ever make the big bucks again IS TO LISTEN TO THE FANS! Do like Page & Plant, Kiss, the Eagles, etc did and get over yourselves! No 14-22 years olds will pay any attention to them ever again. They are now officialy an"oldies" act. They need to try and make their ORIGINAL FAN BASE HAPPY and GET BACK WITH DAVE! The sooner Shemp Van Halen and his drunken sister Ed figure this out, the better it will be for everybody. The fans, the band, and their entire organization.

thefive
07-03-2004, 11:43 PM
I am fucking gloating right now. LOL

thefive
07-03-2004, 11:44 PM
I love to see Van Hagar Sheep band fail. LOL

JOE THUNDER, LP
07-04-2004, 02:12 AM
Thefive, perhaps you weren't yet instructed, but in order to be a member here, you must mention either myself or Dave in the first sentence of your post. Before the post is complete it is imperative that both myself and Dave were discussed in the post. These are the rules each member of my site must follow. Thank you for your anticipated cooperation. T.

Panamark
07-04-2004, 02:15 AM
The good reviews are more of a surprise. Im expecting shit reviews.

ALinChainz
07-04-2004, 02:17 AM
You're a "Kid Vegas" type LOSER, Thudner.

Show us where it says that in the site "rules".

Maybe if the topic was racist loser assholes who pretend to be LPs , but can't seem to spell the profession correctly.

Maybe you'd get a mention there.

Suppose you're going to start banning people again?

Right under your name it says "Full On Cocktard".

Well, there you go.

Cathedral
07-04-2004, 02:24 AM
Originally posted by Panamark
The good reviews are more of a surprise. Im expecting shit reviews.

The only way it could get worse is if Ed starts dry heaving on stage and then passes out from an overdose or toxicity.

Maybe that's why Dave became an EMT?
I mean shit he's gonna be tending to Ed if he even considers a tour with those fucks.

Panamark
07-04-2004, 02:39 AM
Originally posted by Cathedral
The only way it could get worse is if Ed starts dry heaving on stage and then passes out from an overdose or toxicity.

Maybe that's why Dave became an EMT?
I mean shit he's gonna be tending to Ed if he even considers a tour with those fucks.

Great minds think alike, I also posted that Dave might be training as an EMT to revive Ed in the future ! LOL !

Cathedral
07-04-2004, 03:27 AM
LOL, then you are as wise as you claim me to be?

Someday, I'll sit down with you and split a pitcher, brother.