• Show
Clear All
  • Va Beach VH Fan
    ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    • Dec 2003

VH II, WACF, FW, DD Remasters Now Available For Pre-Order

Courtesy VHND....

Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth
  • Terry
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    • Jan 2004

No extras?

Nah.

Sorry. I've purchased all these albums on vinyl, cassette and 2x each on cd. Ain't paying for them again.
    Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
      ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
      • Dec 2003

Originally posted by Terry
      No extras?

Nah.

Sorry. I've purchased all these albums on vinyl, cassette and 2x each on cd. Ain't paying for them again.
      I hear ya, I mean just look what Led Zeppelin, who hasn't played a song in 35 years, is putting out....

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• Kristy
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Aug 2004

Believe I have ALREADY covered both topics. Christ, you are lazy.

Anyhoo, difference being those VH 1/4 tape remasters were actually done right which is odd for little fanfare. Certainly kick the shit out of that Stones Sticky Fingers remaster double-deluxe what-the-fuck-ever.

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
          ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
          • Dec 2003

Originally posted by Kristy
          Believe I have ALREADY covered both topics. Christ, you are lazy.

Lazy because I ignore you? I agree with that, dude.

Comment

• philouze
            Banned
            • Mar 2004

Another rip-off.
            The last thing I bought from VH was ADKOT.
            I'll give 'em some of my money when they put another album out.
            Until then, fuck 'em.

Comment

• VAiN
              Use my hand, I won't look
              ROCKSTAR

• Nov 2006

I broke down and bought VH I & 1984 pretty much from reading kristy's review. Well done!
              Originally posted by wiseguy
              That shit will welcome you in the morning and pour the milk in your count chocula for ya.

Comment

• Kristy
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Va Beach VH Fan
                Lazy because I ignore you? I agree with that, dude.
                No, lazy because you are a dumbass, dude.

Comment

• binnie
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • May 2006

I suspect I'll crack and buy these.
                  The Power Of The Riff Compels Me

Comment

• chefcraig
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • Apr 2004

Originally posted by binnie
                    I suspect I'll crack and buy these.
                    Do Not. I started with a couple vinyl albums, got a driver's license and a cassette player in the car, and purchased 'em again. A few years later, the band took a creative dump with Sammy Hasbadbreath, so I repurchased most of the old stuff a third or fourth time. Then the first "Best Of" came along, bought mainly for it's inclusion of a couple of "new" Roth tracks. Soon after, everything got loaded into the shit wagon and quickly slid down the side of a mountain.

The dust settled...We will not discuss the Cherone era.

Oh, then another "Best Of Album" and tour, best forgotten unless you were a fan of Johnny Thunders.

One hundred years (or so) later, Dave Roth got back with Van Halen, leading to a couple of tours and one fairly good album.

So...to capitalize on this not so brilliant course of career management, we are expected to purchase the same product a fifth, six (perhaps seventh) time, minus bonus tracks or even observant liner notes?

I'll pass, and so should anyone else following these numbnuts for any amount of time, particularly those of us there at the beginning.

Am I a VH fan? Fair question. The answer is, I am. Doesn't mean I appreciate the slack-jawed manner in which the band views it's audience. These boneheads could not find their ass with both hands, with regard to their fan base. (Oh yeah Ed, thanks for the stripped wah pedal and sneakers, ya dork..."It's what I use"...uh-huh, when?).

For years, the fans have wanted assorted rare doodads, live performances and unreleased material. Instead, we get thoughtless retreads.

Party on, Garth...without me contributing to the band's retirement fund.

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
                    ― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• Kristy
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • Aug 2004

Originally posted by chefcraig
                      For years, the fans have wanted assorted rare doodads, live performances and unreleased material. Instead, we get thoughtless retreads.
                      Whoa! Hold on there Mr. Smarty Pants. While there is a good argument these 1/4 remasters are a disappointment in terms of their own histories by having a lack of liner notes, photos of the sessions, session documentation what-the-fuck-ever, you seem to overlook many bands who have such remasters done are powerless when it comes to their record label re-re-releasing them. In other terms, it becomes a financial issue, not a personal one of what the fans want. Besides, hiring musical historians to do the paperwork of finding such artifacts of the sessions cost money in paying those people, money to print them, and money to redesign the packaging. Few acts such as Schleppy have the money and clout to do this. Warner Brothers do not give a shit about a few releases that are over 30 years old nor will they ever. Eddie, Dave and even sister Alexia have zero say in this. They already singed the contracts years ago.

Now, as far as I understand, Eddie did have a hand in the sound of these remasters opting to weed out (huh huh, I said "weed") a lot of the studio gimmicky reverb and engineer flubs. There is a difference to them but to only the audiophile snob ear (such as my own because, you know, I don't listen to homoerotic white metal). The archaic studio technology of what, '78 - '84 can be better "processed" these days and times resulting in a crisp, not such a sterile reproduction. The VH 1 remaster contains no tape hiss, no mirror copy drop offs. Drums are more pronounced, vocals are bland but raw, and Eddie's guitar soars to where you can imagine him going all George Harrison and blistering his god damn fingers.

No doubt they are doodads and a marketing ploy but there also seems to be a demand for the original 6-pack in the manner they were meant to be heard by Eddie and, dare I say it, Ted Templeton intended for them to be. It's easy to blow them off and rightly so because so many remasters are shit, just fucking awful but I have a feeling more will be on the market seeing how the CD is a dinosaur and the 'biz' needs to do whatever it can to survive. The technology has finally caught up with the digital age so get fucking used to it.

Comment

• Kristy
                        DIAMOND STATUS
                        • Aug 2004

Oh, and Va Beach is still a lazy assNazi buttlicker fascist.

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
                          ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
                          • Dec 2003

And to think I was just getting ready to compliment you on that last post....

Comment

• Kristy
                            DIAMOND STATUS
                            • Aug 2004

Pppfffffpphht! I'm much too high right now to worry about compliments. Shit like lice at chicken farms is a far more perplexing issue for me.

Comment

• Kristy
                              DIAMOND STATUS
                              • Aug 2004

...and this is going to look really fucking kwel sitting on my hipster IKEA furniture shelf while the rest of you will be eating cracked plastic bowl cold cereal off a rotting cable spool.

Comment

Working...