X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chuckjitsu
    Head Fluffer
    • Apr 2012

One break, comin' up! Thoughts on the tour so far

Welp, we've reached a break point of sorts as the next show is six days away. Thought it would be interesting to get the Army's thoughts/comments about what we've seen/heard to this point. My own thoughts:

Dave is really singing well at this point. Seems like he's made a concerted effort to get the songs right too (China Town, for example). If we could get him to sing DTNA closer to the original, I don't know what there'd be to complain about that wouldn't be nit picking. I know some around here thought he got off to a rocky start the first couple of shows, but I'd say he's definitely righted the ship.

The Van Halens as a unit are just a precision machine. Just top shelf playing every night from all three guys.

Ed's playing has been fantastic. His outro solos on DDL have been awesome. He seems happier in general and really looks like he's enjoying what he's playing. He's been pretty spry too, bounding across the stage and throwing in some scissor jumps to boot. Just great to see him enjoying himself and playing at such a high level.

A guy at the Links had really good seats for a recent show and he thought the Dave/Ed interactions were "staged", presumably meaning phony. I haven't seen any of the shows live, but I just haven't seen that in the vids I've seen. Their interactions have looked genuine to me. Why fake it? They could just as easily not interact much at all and still pull off good shows, so why would they go to all the trouble of pretending to be enjoying what they're doing? Dave hasn't interacted a ton with Wolf, but that just seems like the norm to me as he never really has.

Set list has been very enjoyable. IASR has been so/so for me, but DDL has been great! Why that song wasn't played live before is beyond me.

I don't pay much attention to the staging (stage setup, lighting, video screens, etc.), so I don't have much to say there. Based on what i've read, most people seem to be happy with the stage setup.

There it is. Curious to hear other reactions...
  • chuckjitsu
    Head Fluffer
    • Apr 2012

Was going to talk about attendance in my first post but forgot. Based on what I've seen, the venues in general have looked anywhere from around 90+% full to completely full. I've read discussions about the attendance somehow being padded by free tickets or tickets with greatly reduced prices. I can't speak to any of that, nor do I know what the "official" attendance counts have been, but that kind of stuff is just noise to me. Bottom line to me is that these venues are looking pretty damn full and people are really enjoying the shows, so who cares?

Comment

• Jetstream
      Foot Soldier
      • Dec 2011

Edward sucks at hiding his emotions, and there is no way he could look any happier on stage right now... the biggest thing about this band at the moment is that they are a band on stage and not a bunch of individuals off in their own world and you can feel the unified energy of late, and I hope the break does not lessen the camaraderie
      I got lost in the...

Comment

• DLR Bridge
        ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2011

I'm confident that this break will not effect their monstrous momentum. In fact, a little break could be just the right sized shot in the arm to continue at this pace. They've been playing a little bit longer of a set than in '12 and they've been going one song into the next like rapid fire. I'm wondering if they will have any set list adjustments. I'd say the only thing I find unusual is that it's been the identical set show after show. I'm looking forward to seeing this set in a couple of weeks, but would love it if I'll Wait were switched out for Full Bug or So This Is Love. Dave has proved that many of their songs are still in his wheel house.

Comment

• Jetstream
          Foot Soldier
          • Dec 2011

At first "Light Up The Sky" seemed maybe out of Dave's capabilities but that turned to be pure bullshit because he has dropped it down a tad with the octaves and it serves in this state the perfect warm up for a concert. Dave is like a football player who needs a few hits to get into a game and though amazing, "Unchained" is too much full contact at the onset for him with a show to go. I think these old fucks (and being a in shape 47 year old, I still consider myself a card carrying member of the old fucks too) should stick to LUTS as the opener because it sets them up so well. The really cool aggressive tunes are percussive with the vocals and not some R&B bullshit, so I would not mind them chunking in DOA into the set and I really think like LUTS, if Dave dropped it down a notch he could easily pull off "Outtaspace" or what would really be cool is "Big River". Damn straight, ADKOT was a kick ass LP, and they could switch it up a bit with maybe "Chinatown" sticking because it is such a cool interactive song with father and son and Dave has got it down now
          I got lost in the...

Comment

• Fairwrning
            TOASTMASTER GENERAL
            • Jan 2004

Shocked at how well they ( Dave ) sound. Hes picked it up ten times over from what he sounded like in July. I didnt think he would last and this break can only be good. Still wish the setlist would change nightly but just isnt gonna happen.Eds solo is a waste honestly.We already know he can play but I guess there are some noobs that have actually not heard EVH. I would honestly rather hear him play " Mary had a little lamb" then that same freakin solo. Kudos to Wolf for keeping this together. Im still passing on this tour.

Comment

• Jetstream
              Foot Soldier
              • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Fairwrning
              Shocked at how well they ( Dave ) sound. Hes picked it up ten times over from what he sounded like in July. I didnt think he would last and this break can only be good. Still wish the setlist would change nightly but just isnt gonna happen.Eds solo is a waste honestly.We already know he can play but I guess there are some noobs that have actually not heard EVH. I would honestly rather hear him play " Mary had a little lamb" then that same freakin solo. Kudos to Wolf for keeping this together. Im still passing on this tour.
              You are a die hard fan as anyone else and I totally get where you are coming from, but for me if this ends up at their age and dysfunctional history as the last tour... then I just have to be there
              I got lost in the...

Comment

• DLR Bridge
                ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2011

Im still passing on this tour.
                I thought I was too, but it became too hard to "resist the diabolical urge."

Comment

• PETE'S BROTHER
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Feb 2007

Im still passing on this tour.
                  damn shame
                  Another one of those classic genius posts, sure to generate responses. You log on the next day to see what your witty gem has produced to find no one gets it and 2 knotheads want to stick their dicks in it... Well played, sir!!

Comment

• Nigel
                    Roadie
                    • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Jetstream
                    ... the biggest thing about this band at the moment is that they are a band on stage and not a bunch of individuals off in their own world
                    Totally agree Jetstream. Your comment here is what resonates with me. Saw them in Toronto just over a week ago and they are a harmonious BAND!

In 2012 it was like watching Dave acting alone in a band he once fronted. Rehearsed, staged, phony or real, they are working together to create a set that just flies forward the minute it starts. It's an appropriate concert for their age, keeps the VH "philosophy" in tact and is so much better than 2012 by far. You'll never duplicate 2007/08 because they were just back together and Roth told everyone to "judge them (meaning him; harshly).

I can forgive his vocal shortcomings for more of what he's doing, which is injecting humor, storytelling, toast-mastery, and a pinch of buffoonery to what would otherwise, not be as entertaining, despite the VH trio of musical mastery.

Comment

• katina
                      Commando
                      • Mar 2012

Originally posted by chuckjitsu
                      Curious to hear other reactions...
                      I was astonished by Dave´s fantastic improvement in his performance after a not so good beginning, they are killing it and people are really enjoying the shows. As Bridge said : I'm confident that this break will not effect their monstrous momentum.

I got tired of waiting for an elusive European Tour, and my reaction was to buy tickets for both Hollywood Bowl dates, October 2nd and 4th.
                      It is easier for me to fly to the Florida shows but I prefer to travel to LA, the place where this chapter of Rock 'n Roll history began.

If no political or economic mayor crisis occurs down here, it will be an unforgettable holiday. I can´t wait !!!

Comment

• twonabomber
                        formerly F A T
                        ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by chuckjitsu
                        I don't pay much attention to the staging (stage setup, lighting, video screens, etc.), so I don't have much to say there. Based on what i've read, most people seem to be happy with the stage setup.
                        The display behind Al reminds me of an old monochrome amber screen monitor. Cheap and outdated. Cost cutting move?

During the '12 tour I complained about having the huge screen and then blocking it with the lighting rig most of the show. Yeah, I am there because of the music, but do it right or don't bother.
                        Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
                          ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
                          • Dec 2003

Moved to Main.....
                          Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• perrin29
                            Head Fluffer
                            • Jan 2012

After seeing them three times since the 07 reunion I am thinking this has been my favorite tour. The set list is incredible and the interplay between the band has been great. Dave has been raising his game with each show and it's been a pleasure to watch. That last show at Jones Beach was unreal. A little break to recharge the batteries will be good for them. If they come back out of the gates running these guys will be untouchable. Never been prouder of to be a fan of this band. Only thing better would be a live release.

Comment

• THE SAINT
                              Roadie
                              • Feb 2006

From what I've seen, the setlist, which has been great, hasn't changed at all. I think what kept them in the press in years past was when they threw in a rare song now and then. There would be some article on Blabbermouth about Van Halen playing a tune they had never played before. I for one miss, "Mean Street" and "Jamie's Cryin'."

After this tour winds up - What do you guys think the bands next move is? Wolf will put out his album eventually. Judging by his comments at the beginning of this tour, I think he was a bit upset that he couldn't go on with Tremonti.

Will there be a farewell tour? Will they put the band away and become reclusive for 2 more years?

Comment

Working...