PDA

View Full Version : Rolling Stone - 20-insanely-great-van-halen-songs

Seshmeister
08-17-2015, 05:17 PM
http://www.rollingstone.com/music/lists/20-insanely-great-van-halen-songs-only-hardcore-fans-know-20150817

VHscraps
08-17-2015, 05:35 PM
The flaw in that article is to think that those other bands that Eddie, Alex and Mike had were Van Halen - 'Crossing Over'???!!> Wind and piss from a film about fcking wind and rain

BumBahDeeDah
08-17-2015, 06:32 PM
Gotta give props to this article for recognizing "You and Your Blues" which should have been a hit and is the song my sister calls "The Divorced Man's Anthem" (A group of us split with our wives around the same time and these women were all a little....off.)

VAiN
08-17-2015, 06:33 PM
The flaw in that article is to think that those other bands that Eddie, Alex and Mike had were Van Halen - 'Crossing Over'???!!> Wind and piss from a film about fcking wind and rain

Actually, Crossing Over isn't from the Twister soundtrack.. it was a b-side from the Japanese release of balance.. it's actually a cool track. Ed plays electric drums on one side and Al plays acoustic drums on the other.. I also seem to recall that Ed basically wrote the tune, although I could be mistaking, but it doesn't sound like pure cheese.

VHscraps
08-17-2015, 06:55 PM
Actually, Crossing Over isn't from the Twister soundtrack.. it was a b-side from the Japanese release of balance.. it's actually a cool track. Ed plays electric drums on one side and Al plays acoustic drums on the other.. I also seem to recall that Ed basically wrote the tune, although I could be mistaking, but it doesn't sound like pure cheese.

Dude - it is!!!

It's on the closing credits of the film (it might not be on the soundtrack album - I dunno).

It might be Ed and Al, but it ain't Van Halen ...!

DLR Bridge
08-17-2015, 07:51 PM
The song played during the closing credits of Twister is an instruMENTAL (emphasis on mental for Ed's over use of the sustainer) called Respect The Wind. Al on piano.

VHscraps
08-17-2015, 07:57 PM
My mistake, DLRB - but I stand by my original point.

Anything that was labelled 'Van Halen' outside of the DLR era is, basically, wind and piss ...! I mean, even without Hagar, as well, they were more or less lost, rudderless ... gahd, so much for Eddie "it's me that writes all the music". Yeah, and your singers turn it into fcking songs!!

Jetstream
08-18-2015, 04:15 AM
Actually, Crossing Over isn't from the Twister soundtrack.. it was a b

Correct, and it is the only Van Hagar song I am able to listen to now. It is basically the song "When Love Comes Walking In" but with some cool guitar effects and no cheezy lyrics, dealing about seeing someone in the afterlife... but it is not real Van Halen!

Jetstream
08-18-2015, 04:19 AM
My mistake, DLRB

And yes, Eddie just provides these odd riffs and the singer constructed all the fragments into a actual song... Eddie's so called vault does not have completed songs but odd recordings of bits and not to be confused with a guy like Prince who does actually have over a thousand songs in his vault :)

Seshmeister
08-18-2015, 09:46 PM

Absolutely but I felt it merited posting as it was Rolling Stone and positive.

Kristy
09-30-2015, 10:42 AM
Ghey. Imagine the fucking nerve of placing the Hagar AND VH III years in their bullshit list.

You should be ashamed that you posted this, Sesh. Ashamed enough that you apologize and self-ban for 90 days.

Seshmeister
09-30-2015, 03:16 PM
The song played during the closing credits of Twister is ... called Respect The Wind.

To be fair they were eating a lot of Mexican food around this time...