• Show
Clear All
  • ALinChainz
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Jan 2004

Look out Houston -- Piazza likely to catch Clemens

By RONALD BLUM, AP Sports Writer

July 4, 2004

NEW YORK (AP) -- Roger Clemens was picked for his first NL All-Star team Sunday and Mike Piazza was elected by fans to start the July 13 game in Houston, putting the Rocket in line to throw the opening pitch to his nemesis.

Clemens, a nine-time All-Star in the American League, was among five starting pitchers voted to the National League team by major league players, managers and coaches. With a 10-2 record in his first season with his hometown Astros, Clemens is likely to start for the NL.

Piazza, in what is likely to be his final All-Star appearance as a catcher, was elected to start for the 10th time, his 11th All-Star selection overall. He's caught just 34 games for the New York Mets this season and played first base in 37.

``We both have a job to do. I'm sure it will be totally professional,'' Piazza said. ``I don't think it's going to be that hard. We're two guys who know what to do.''

Clemens, then with the Yankees, beaned Piazza in July 2000. In Game 2 of the World Series that October, he threw the jagged barrel of a shattered bat in the direction of Piazza, earning a $50,000 fine.

``It's not that a big deal. It's definitely not larger than the game, unless you all make it that,'' the 41-year-old Clemens told reporters in Houston. ``I'm not too concerned about that. I'm professional about my work and so is Mike.''

There was just one change among starters in the final week of fan voting, with Seattle's Ichiro Suzuki overtaking the Yankees' Hideki Matsui for the final AL outfield spot.

Barry Bonds, Ken Griffey Jr. and Sammy Sosa were elected to start in the NL outfield, the first time three players with 500 home runs will start. Griffey is going to the All-Star game for the first time since 2000, which was his 11th straight selection.

Carlos Beltran, traded from Kansas City to Houston last month, was voted an AL reserve, his first All-Star selection, but the deal means he can't play in the game unless he's added to the NL team as a replacement.

Six members of the AL champion Yankees were picked, including three elected to start in the infield. Derek Jeter was voted to his first start at shortstop, Jason Giambi to his third at first base and Alex Rodriguez to his first at third base following six starts at shortstop. They will be joined by outfielder Gary Sheffield and relievers Mariano Rivera and Tom Gordon.

Alfonso Soriano, traded from the Yankees to Texas in February for Rodriguez, was elected to start at second and received the most votes in either league, 3.47 million.

Ivan Rodriguez, in his first season with Detroit, was elected to his 10th All-Star start at catcher.

Anaheim's Vladimir Guerrero and Boston's Manny Ramirez were voted to start in the outfield along with Suzuki, who trailed Matsui by 57,000 votes a week ago. Suzuki finished third by 36,000 -- while Matsui was 6,000 ahead in online voting, Suzuki was ahead by a wide margin in ballots cast at ballparks.

Three St. Louis Cardinals infielders were elected to start for the NL: Third baseman Scott Rolen was the top NL vote-getter at 3.19 million and was joined by first baseman Albert Pujols and shortstop Edgar Renteria, who finished 214,000 votes ahead of Houston's Adam Everett. Last week, Renteria led by just six votes.

Bonds was voted to his 13th All-Star team and 11th start. Griffey is a 12-time All-Star, elected to start in all of them.

Oakland's Tim Hudson and Mark Mulder were voted by the players, managers and coaches to the AL team as starting pitchers along with Boston's Curt Schilling, Cleveland's C.C. Sabathia and Texas' Kenny Rogers. The Yankees' Mariano Rivera, Anaheim's Francisco Rodriguez and Texas' Francisco Cordero were elected as relievers.

Voted on as reserves were Cleveland catcher Victor Martinez, Boston first baseman David Ortiz, Cleveland second baseman Ronnie Belliard, Texas third baseman Hank Blalock and shortstop Michael Young, and outfielders Carl Crawford of Tampa Bay and Sheffield.

The Yankees' Joe Torre, the AL manager, picked Detroit shortstop Carlos Guillen, Kansas City first baseman Ken Harvey and Baltimore shortstop Miguel Tejada as reserves and added four pitchers: Gordon, Toronto's Ted Lilly, Chicago's Esteban Loaiza and Minnesota's Joe Nathan.

Joining Clemens among the NL starters are the Mets' Tom Glavine, Arizona's Randy Johnson, San Francisco's Jason Schmidt, the Cubs' Carlos Zambrano. The relievers are Los Angeles' Eric Gagne, Cincinnati's Danny Graves and Florida's Armando Benitez.

Elected as reserves were Atlanta catcher Johnny Estrada, Cincinnati first baseman Sean Casey, San Diego second baseman Mark Loretta, Florida third baseman Mike Lowell, Pittsburgh shortstop Jack Wilson, Houston outfielder Lance Berkman, Cubs outfielder Moises Alou and Florida outfielder Miguel Cabrera.

The reserves selected by Florida's Jack McKeon, the NL manager, were Philadelphia first baseman Jim Thome, Colorado first baseman Todd Helton, Cincinnati shortstop Barry Larkin, Montreal starter Livan Hernandez, Florida starter Carl Pavano, and Milwaukee pitchers Ben Sheets and Dan Kolb.

Among those left off were Cincinnati's Adam Dunn, second in the NL with 24 homers, and Los Angeles' Adrian Beltre, fourth with 21. Baltimore's Melvin Mora, batting .347 but nursing a hamstring injury, also was left off.

• Va Beach VH Fan
    ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    • Dec 2003

Happy for Jack Wilson, he's really having a great year...

And proved me wrong by thinking he'd start going downhill when I dropped him from my fantasy team (bastard )....

It's always a hard job picking this team, so I understand there's always going to be questions....

But Barry Larkin ??

4 Indians ?? (No Poj, I'm not saying that because only one Pirate got picked)....

Giambi ??

Tom Gordon ??

Mark Loretta ??
    Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• ALinChainz
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Jan 2004

Barry Bonds, Ken Griffey Jr. and Sammy Sosa were elected to start in the NL outfield, the first time three players with 500 home runs will start.

Making a little baseball history always makes the All-Star game a little more interesting.

I don't know if the roster selection will ever be an exact science.

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
        ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
        • Dec 2003

Originally posted by ALinChainz
        Barry Bonds, Ken Griffey Jr. and Sammy Sosa were elected to start in the NL outfield, the first time three players with 500 home runs will start.
        Probably the best offensive outfield in All-Star history, but definitely not the best defensively...

That would go to Aaron, Mays, and Clemente....

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• ALinChainz
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Va Beach VH Fan
          Probably the best offensive outfield in All-Star history, but definitely not the best defensively...

That would go to Aaron, Mays, and Clemente....
          Who were far from shabby on offense too.

Incredible really, and I'd take those 3 before today's 3 anytime.

Comment

• POJO_Risin
            Roth Army Caesar
            • Mar 2003

Were their 4 Indians?

VMart was 1...and assuredly he deserved it...no doubt about it...there isn't a better performing catcher (minus pudge) in the game right now... .299 with 12 dingers and 60 ribbies...

Ron Belliard...I don't think he should have been voted in...but his numbers are outstanding...batting .317...but only 5 dingers and 34 ribbies...

CC Sabathia as well...2nd or 3rd in ERA...but his record isn't spectacular...only 5 wins...but a 2.77 ERA...

Who's the fourth?
            "Van Halen was one of the most hallelujah, tailgate, backyard, BBQ, arrive four hours early to the gig just for the parking lot bands. And still to this day is. It's an attitude. I think it's a spirit more than anything else is."

Comment

• POJO_Risin
              Roth Army Caesar
              • Mar 2003

Lawton...statistically...the best Indian...

AVG.315
              HR 13
              RBI 47
              RUNS 60
              SB 14

Possible 30/30 candidate...

I'd go with VMart...and Lawton...those 2...

maybe Belliard...

CC...nah...
              "Van Halen was one of the most hallelujah, tailgate, backyard, BBQ, arrive four hours early to the gig just for the parking lot bands. And still to this day is. It's an attitude. I think it's a spirit more than anything else is."

Comment

• ALinChainz
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • Jan 2004

Major League Baseball All-Star Game rosters

July 4, 2004

JERSEY CITY, New Jersey (Ticker) - The following are the rosters for the National and American League All-Star teams:

NATIONAL LEAGUE

Player, Team .AVG HR RBI ============ ---- -- ---

Starters C -- Mike Piazza, New York .30916 40 1B -- Albert Pujols, St. Louis .303 21 58 2B -- Jeff Kent, Houston .29310 52 SS -- Edgar Renteria, St. Louis.283 4 34 3B -- Scott Rolen, St. Louis.34418 78 OF -- Barry Bonds, San Francisco.35222 46 OF -- Ken Griffey, Jr., Cincinnati.246 19 55 OF -- Sammy Sosa, Chicago.276 14 33

Reserves

C -- Johnny Estrada, Atlanta.328 4 45 C -- Paul Lo Duca, Los Angeles.309 6 321B -- Jim Thome, Philadelphia .299 27 58 1B -- Sean Casey, Cincinnati .35215 54 1B -- Todd Helton, Colorado .35215 53 2B -- Mark Loretta, San Diego .320 6 34 3B -- Mike Lowell, Florida .300 19 51 SS -- Barry Larkin, Cincinnati .294 4 30 SS -- Jack Wilson, Pittsburgh .339 8 34 OF -- Lance Berkman, Houston .304 16 59 OF -- Moises Alou, Chicago .287 19 49 OF -- Miguel Cabrera, Florida .294 20 55

Pitchers W-L ERA SV -------- --- --- -- SP -- Roger Clemens, Houston 10-2 2.63 SP -- Tom Glavine, New York 7-5 2.16 SP -- Livan Hernandez, Montreal 6-7 3.23 SP -- Randy Johnson, Arizona 10-6 2.90 SP -- Carl Pavano, Florida 9-3 2.92 SP -- Jason Schmidt, San Francisco 10-2 2.61 SP -- Ben Sheets, Milwaukee 7-5 2.58 SP -- Carlos Zambrano, Chicago 9-3 2.41 RP -- Armando Benitez, Florida 2-0 1.07 27 RP -- Eric Gagne, Los Angeles 2-0 1.54 21 RP -- Danny Kolb, Milwaukee 0-0 0.87 24

AMERICAN LEAGUE

Player, Team .AVG HR RBI ============ ---- -- ---

Starters C -- Ivan Rodriguez, Detroit .37710 57 1B -- Jason Giambi, New York .23811 31 2B -- Alfonso Soriano, Texas .29414 50 SS -- Derek Jeter, New York.27813 41 3B -- Alex Rodriguez, New York.27319 50 OF -- Manny Ramirez, Boston .34022 65 OF -- Vladimir Guerrero, Anaheim .34520 71 OF -- Ichiro Suzuki, Seattle .318 3 30

Reserves C -- Victor Martinez, Cleveland.29912 60 1B -- Ken Harvey, Kansas City .32810 34 1B -- David Ortiz, Boston.30622 76 2B -- Ron Belliard, Cleveland..316 5 34 3B -- Hank Blalock, Texas .31422 61 SS -- Carlos Guillen, Detroit .32411 57 SS -- Miguel Tejada, Baltimore .31515 69 SS -- Michael Young, Texas.33111 49 OF -- Carl Crawford, Tampa Bay.316 4 32 OF -- Matt Lawton, Cleveland.317 14 48 OF -- Gary Sheffield, New York.30013 53

Pitchers W-L ERA SV -------- --- --- -- SP -- Tim Hudson, Oakland 7-3 2.98 SP -- Ted Lilly, Toronto 7-5 4.01 SP -- Esteban Loaiza, Chicago 8-4 4.37 SP -- Mark Mulder, Oakland 11-2 2.95 SP -- Kenny Rogers, Texas 11-2 3.42 SP -- C.C. Sabathia, Cleveland 5-3 2.77 SP -- Curt Schilling, Boston 11-4 3.08 RP -- Francisco Cordero, Texas 2-0 1.80 24 RP -- Tom Gordon, New York 2-3 1.66 2 RP -- Joe Nathan, Minnesota 1-0 1.19 23 RP -- Mariano Rivera, New York 0-0 0.87 29 RP -- Francisco Rodriguez, Anaheim 1-1 1.04 7

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
                  ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
                  • Dec 2003

Originally posted by POJO_Risin
                  Lawton...statistically...the best Indian...

AVG.315
                  HR 13
                  RBI 47
                  RUNS 60
                  SB 14
                  Looks like you answered your own question....

Comment

• JCOOK

DOES ANY ONE KNOW IF CLEMENS IS SCHEDULED TO PITCH AT THE METS THIS SEASON? I WATCHED NY AT HOUSTON AND THE METS DIDNT' BEAN HIM THERE.

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
                      ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
                      • Dec 2003

There's no way you're going to know that until about a week prior to the series, then it's just a matter of the pitching rotation....

Comment

• wraytw

Originally posted by Va Beach VH Fan
                        Tom Gordon ??
                        What's the problem?

Gordon:

48.2 IP; 45 SO; 21 HLDS; 1.66 ERA

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
                          ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
                          • Dec 2003

I'm not saying he's not having a great year, but Gordon is a setup man....

There's no need for setup men in the AllStar game, especially with numerous players, pitchers and hitters alike, getting snubbed....

He shouldn't have been selected IMO, but now that he has, he shouldn't get into the game....

But because Torre is the manager along with the Yankee monopoly that runs this rag-tag league, he'll get in.....

Comment

• wraytw

Then why aren't you complaining about Francisco Rodriguez being on the team, also?

Comment

• POJO_Risin
                              Roth Army Caesar
                              • Mar 2003

Well...you could make a case that FRod is still the closer...and correct me if I'm wrong...but dude has 7 saves...

If a setup guy is there...then they should have a long reliever on each team...that kind of shit...

Who gives a shit...lmfao...

Comment

Working...