PDA

View Full Version : Just release the John 5 LP already...

Jetstream
01-28-2016, 06:09 PM
Damn thing is completed from all reports. It is not a hard rock LP but more of a Blues/Rock thing and that is cool from what's understood... well, fuck this Van Halen thing and just release it Dave because you should if you by some odd chance looked at this site by accident while searching the net. for dogs, tattoos, or wrestling :)

VHscraps
01-28-2016, 08:23 PM
Or, could it be that DLR is staging a Bowie-like retreat from public life (the vanishing website, videos, etc), only to slap the last album on us a few days before he bags it.

Whether that is in two years or ten years, who is to say ...

FORD
01-28-2016, 08:56 PM
Whether Van Halen ever does anything again remains to be seen. But I would say it's a safe bet that they will NOT be doing anything in 2016. So there's really no reason for Dave to NOT put that album out now. And even tour with John "5" Lowery and/or the EEAS band, if he feels like it.

I think he should have taken a page from Keith Richards and released the first single from that record a day or two after the VH tour ended, with the full album following a month or two later. Seemed to work out fine for Keith. He didn't break up the Stones in the process - they're apparently ready to go back in the studio shortly..

And given all the musicians of their generation dropping dead lately, who the Hell could blame them for working while they still can??

DONNIEP
01-28-2016, 09:15 PM
Whether Van Halen ever does anything again remains to be seen. But I would say it's a safe bet that they will NOT be doing anything in 2016.

First off, that ain't Van Halen. I don't care how nice of a fat fucking kid Wolfie is. He ain't a member of Van Halen. I don't care if he apes Mike's bass lines and his vocals are "good enough" for all yall. It ain't Van Fucking Halen.

All it is is Ed's newest version of Van Halen. And Ed can go fuck himself, right after his husband drills him. I don't care if Wolfie can cure cancer. He's not a member of Van Halen and he never was. I know, I can hear it now, "Wolfie gave us back Dave and Eddie!!" If you believe that you are retarded. Ed would have played with me singing if he thought he could sell tickets. Fuck him and his Savior Son.

Van Halen died on April 1st, 1985. I enjoyed the two VH tours I went to, with Dave out front. But it is in no way, shape, form, or whatever Van Halen.

Anonymous
01-28-2016, 10:10 PM
Damn thing is completed from all reports. It is not a hard rock LP but more of a Blues/Rock thing and that is cool from what's understood... well, fuck this Van Halen thing and just release it Dave because you should if you by some odd chance looked at this site by accident while searching the net. for dogs, tattoos, or wrestling :)

All reports? What "all" reports?

The ONLY report we had was from a senile, half-demented guy that drives around in a striped buggy & believes that he's in 1983.

Now, I'm not calling Von a liar - sometimes, the most unlikely sources are the ones which come up with the truth - but until I listen to that thing myself, it doesn't exist.

Jetstream
01-29-2016, 02:52 AM
All reports? What "all" reports?

The ONLY report we had was from a senile, half-demented guy that drives around in a striped buggy & believes that he's in 1983.

Now, I'm not calling Von a liar - sometimes, the most unlikely sources are the ones which come up with the truth - but until I listen to that thing myself, it doesn't exist.

I did not know John 5 owned such a buggy... since he has stated himself personally this exists, it is complete and to him it sounds great but what musician would say their music is not lol

vandeleur
01-29-2016, 02:59 AM
I think when "van halen" get back with Mike and Sam wolf should tour with Dave and john5 what the hell, he saved ed's career maybe he can do some Wolfe magic for Dave :)

cadaverdog
01-29-2016, 03:36 AM
I did not know John 5 owned such a buggy...l
He has several. They're very chic nowdays.

DONNIEP
01-29-2016, 08:46 AM
I think when "van halen" get back with Mike and Sam wolf should tour with Dave and john5 what the hell, he saved ed's career maybe he can do some Wolfe magic for Dave :)

I can see it now......

Sunset in Pasadena. Wolfie walks up to the gates of Rothwood, a large duffle bag slung over his shoulder. Kinda like Santy Claus, only fatter and less loved.

He steps up to the intercom but somebody buzzes the gate open. Wolfie takes one last look around, hitches his sack up a little higher on his shoulder and slowly walks up the drive, wondering if he'll ever see another sun rise.

The door to the mansion is open so he walks in. It's dark and quiet inside. Too quiet. From one of the rooms off the left of the entrance he hears the flick of an old gold brass zippo.

"You're late", says an all too familiar voice from the room.

"I had to make a beer run for dad", Wolf says.

"So he's back on the sauce?"

"He's working on the set list for the new tour with Sam. Wouldn't you be?"

Wolf's eyes adjust to the dark and he sees Dave, all alone in an empty room, sitting in an old plastic chair that looks like it belongs in a trailer park.

"Did you find what you needed in the storage units?", Dave ask, his voice raspy from too many smokes that day. He looks nervous, fidgeting with that old zippo.

"Yeah, I got what we need," says Wolf. He unslings his sack and gets down on one knee and opens it up. Dave leans forward, peering in the dark to see just what the kid's brought with him. Wolf rummages around in the bottom of the sack and pulls out a fifth of Jack and hands it to Dave. "You're gonna need this," he says.

"Kid, I rarely drink the stuff anymore," Dave says, cracking open the top and taking a long pull off the bottle.

Wolf doesn't say anything. He just keeps digging in his bag. Then he pulls out a pair of electric blue spandex pants and a sequined teddy, hands them to Dave.

"Kid, this is never gonna work. I haven't worn these in almost 30 years. You're wasting my time here."

Wolf reaches into his sack and starts to pull out something large. Dave sits up a little straighter, his mouth slightly ajar.

"You found it," Dave says in a hoarse whisper.

Wolf lays the Davesicle at the old guy's feet, like a Shao Lin priest making an offering to some long forgotten god.

"There's just one more thing," Wolf says as he reaches into his bag for the last time. He pulls out an old Sony Walkman, one of the first ones ever made. It's old, beat up, the battery cover held closed with duct tape older than him. Attached to it by an old and knotted cord is the original set of headphones, the foam mostly gone from each ear.

"You got the tape?" Wolf asks. Dave shuffles his foot and kicks an old cassette over to Wolf. EEAS Demos is scrawled on a piece of tape on one side. Wolf picks it up, turns it over in his hand and shoves it in the old Walkman. Dave slowly stands up, his hands shaking slightly. He'd been drinking and suddenly Wolf could smell the booze laced sweat coming off the old guy.

"Go get dressed, Dave. It's show time"....

ZahZoo
01-29-2016, 03:58 PM
Or, could it be that DLR is staging a Bowie-like retreat from public life (the vanishing website, videos, etc), only to slap the last album on us a few days before he bags it.

Whether that is in two years or ten years, who is to say ...

That just seems like way too much planning, forethought, moving parts and execution for Dave's attention span...

Von Halen
01-29-2016, 04:28 PM
Sorry Donnie, I made it to the 4th sentence, and then bailed. ADD, ADHD, whatever.

vandeleur
01-29-2016, 05:00 PM
Sorry Donnie, I made it to the 4th sentence, and then bailed. ADD, ADHD, whatever.

Pity , it was funny and there isn't a lot of that about at the moment :)

PETE'S BROTHER
01-29-2016, 05:14 PM

it was a nice story

DONNIEP
01-29-2016, 05:18 PM
It was an awesome story!! I even managed to insert some Dave solo song references. And honestly, as poorly written as it was - it's gonna be the most interesting thing you read about Dave all year.

VHscraps
01-29-2016, 07:00 PM
That just seems like way too much planning, forethought, moving parts and execution for Dave's attention span...

This is true ...

vandeleur
01-29-2016, 07:05 PM
I was listening to skyscraper today and thought about his climbing and then thought what happened to his dog and sheepdog trials. Maybe he is off doing this weeks new obsession , knitting , scuba diving or origami.

PETE'S BROTHER
01-29-2016, 07:15 PM
scuba!!!!!!!!!!!!!

VHscraps
01-29-2016, 07:15 PM
I was listening to skyscraper today .

Are you feeling okay, dude?

vandeleur
01-29-2016, 07:17 PM
Are you feeling okay, dude?

Yeah , it was for a change. Probably won't do it again :D

DONNIEP
01-29-2016, 07:21 PM
I was listening to skyscraper today and thought about his climbing and then thought what happened to his dog and sheepdog trials. Maybe he is off doing this weeks new obsession , knitting , scuba diving or origami.

It's called Sitting At Home Moping. It's all the rage these days.

And I liked most of Skyscraper. Seems like it was the Tower Record where he repelled down the billboard for the release. Ahh...the good old days. Back when we were all young. Except for Von. I think he turned 50 that year.

vandeleur
01-29-2016, 07:28 PM
It's called Sitting At Home Moping. It's all the rage these days.

And I liked most of Skyscraper. Seems like it was the Tower Record where he repelled down the billboard for the release. Ahh...the good old days. Back when we were all young. Except for Von. I think he turned 50 that year.

Sounds a lot more poppy now than it did at the time , hina is still a great song .
Von at the time had a striped penny farthing.

VHscraps
01-29-2016, 07:38 PM
Skyscraper is a strange kind of time travel.

vandeleur
01-29-2016, 07:38 PM
88 donnington :)

DONNIEP
01-29-2016, 07:44 PM
Scraps - when was EEAS recorded, what months? You're the only person I can think of who might know. I seem to remember it was late 85 and perhaps into early 86.

VHscraps
01-29-2016, 07:44 PM
88 donnington :)

that was a weird gig. Too many peeps. I was miles from the stage. Was Megadeth and Guns N' Roses on the bill? All I remember is my hangover and wanting to find a bed to lie down in ...

vandeleur
01-29-2016, 07:47 PM
Yeah both plus kiss and maiden , great gig , well I had a great time :)

VHscraps
01-29-2016, 08:02 PM
Scraps - when was EEAS recorded, what months? You're the only person I can think of who might know. I seem to remember it was late 85 and perhaps into early 86.

Jeez, I really don't know, man! Honestly. I think sometime after the movie fell apart -- up until then, he was still working with Nile Rodgers, who was scoring / co-ordinating the soundtrack to the CFTH movie.

I'd guess it was done quickly, and it came out when? Weekend of July 4th 1986?. With Ted Templeman producing, etc., I doubt they'd have spent a long time in the studio. I think Ted only worked about three days a week on producing, because he was V-P of Warners as well.

I ditched most of my paper archives, but maybe I have something on the laptop ...

last indication that the film was still in progress was an interview with Nile Rodgers in New York magazine, published February 24, 1986. It could have been based on an interview done some time before that, but in that interview what he was doing at the moment was working on the instrumental music for Dave's movie.

So, what would you say? EEAS recorded in Spring 86, round about then?

DONNIEP
01-29-2016, 08:13 PM
Jeez, I really don't know, man! Honestly. I think sometime after the movie fell apart -- up until then, he was still working with Nile Rodgers, who was scoring / co-ordinating the soundtrack to the CFTH movie.

I'd guess it was done quickly, and it came out when? Weekend of July 4th 1986?. With Ted Templeman producing, etc., I doubt they'd have spent a long time in the studio. I think Ted only worked about three days a week on producing, because he was V-P of Warners as well.

I ditched most of my paper archives, but maybe I have something on the laptop ...

last indication that the film was still in progress was an interview with Nile Rodgers in New York magazine, published February 24, 1986. It could have been based on an interview done some time before that, but in that interview what he was doing at the moment was working on the instrumental music for Dave's movie.

So, what would you say? EEAS recorded in Spring 86, round about then?

The movie studio folded in October of 85. So I'm thinking you're right - sometime after October 85. Apparently he recorded it in NY and California.

I just wish I could remember when he auditioned Gregg cause that would narrow it down.

VHscraps
01-29-2016, 08:17 PM
Yeah both plus kiss and maiden , great gig , well I had a great time :)

I think I was lying next to our travelling bus by the time Maiden came on. Pretty certain I never saw them.

The problem with travelling from Scotland to Donnington back then was we always had to ride down on a bus the night before, so that meant that everyone got wrecked on the bus and were totally hungover the next day. Don't think I ever saw the headliners.

Von Halen
01-29-2016, 08:18 PM
I was listening to skyscraper today and thought about his climbing

Yeah, back when you could present yourself as anything, and people believed you. Seems there's a lot of people that still believe all that stuff about this guy. Vandy, haven't you read the photographers account of the Dave "climbing" photo shoot? If not, it's gotta be posted somewhere around here. It's fucking hilarious.

VHscraps
01-29-2016, 08:44 PM
The movie studio folded in October of 85. So I'm thinking you're right - sometime after October 85. Apparently he recorded it in NY and California.

I just wish I could remember when he auditioned Gregg cause that would narrow it down.

Funnily enough, I am sort of interested in something related (sort of related). Aside from how crap Dave's movie might have been, CBS Pictures was embattled by early 1985 due to corporate re-organisation following some sort of legal shenanigans. They were mostly known for making straight-to-TV fare, and had recently decided to go into theatrical film production -- Dave's movie being one of the movies that was not just a TV movie.

Not long after they signed up Dave's movie, they appointed as a creative director ... Malcolm McLaren, former Sex Pistols manager. When the company fell apart, Dave lost his movie, and McLaren was out of a job.

https://c2.staticflickr.com/2/1447/24605133731_600dfac6c6_z.jpg

I'm intrigued by the idea that the two of them bumped into each other in the CBS Pictures canteen ... if so, it would be just one of a few Sex Pistols / Van Halen connections.

Seshmeister
01-29-2016, 08:54 PM
I think there were breathtaking amounts of Scarface style cocaine mounds involved in all of this.

Reading the Dave movie script nowadays in the cold light of day it doesn't seem to me at least, the greatest thing ever however context is everything and also it would have been rewritten and improved before it was ever made.

VHscraps
01-29-2016, 09:01 PM
you mean a lot of icing sugar around the mouth and nose - all those donuts!

DONNIEP
01-29-2016, 09:04 PM
I think there were breathtaking amounts of Scarface style cocaine mounds involved in all of this.

Reading the Dave movie script nowadays in the cold light of day it doesn't seem to me at least, the greatest thing ever however context is everything and also it would have been rewritten and improved before it was ever made.

Yeah the script is...it's crap. I mean really stupid. But I agree it would have went through a lot of changes before filming started. I'm sure it would have been at least as good as the Picasso Bros videos. My teenage daughter loves those videos, watches the Cato DVD a lot. Usually I go in her room and watch them when they come up on the DVD and they're still great to watch.

DONNIEP
01-29-2016, 09:06 PM
Yeah, back when you could present yourself as anything, and people believed you. Seems there's a lot of people that still believe all that stuff about this guy. Vandy, haven't you read the photographers account of the Dave "climbing" photo shoot? If not, it's gotta be posted somewhere around here. It's fucking hilarious.

Yeah that's a great article.

Sucks that it turns out Dave really was and is nothing like his image from back then. The guy's been the biggest rock star on the planet, can do anything he wants, have whatever he wants, and he's a miserable hermit. What a waste.

Jetstream
01-29-2016, 09:18 PM
We will not see the John 5 lp for one reason, that is because shimmy Dave I recall mentioned it was made for some kind of Broadway musical... hence, he will hold on to the dream of bringing that slippy slide floor out one more time for the music to be released lol

VHscraps
01-29-2016, 09:27 PM
hence, he will hold on to the dream of bringing that slippy slide floor out one more time

Oh lawd ...

Von Halen
01-29-2016, 10:02 PM
We will not see the John 5 lp for one reason, that is because shimmy Dave I recall mentioned it was made for some kind of Broadway musical... hence, he will hold on to the dream of bringing that slippy slide floor out one more time for the music to be released lol

I don't think you're thinking of the same album I spoke to John 5 about.

DONNIEP
01-29-2016, 10:16 PM
I don't think you're thinking of the same album I spoke to John 5 about.

No, he's right - that's exactly how Dave described it. Then again, this is the same Dave that said every song on EEAS was written for the movie.

"And in the interim I've written and recorded an entire album of material with a fellow named John 5. It's called Somewhere Over the Rainbow Bar & Grill, and it was designed as a jukebox musical after seeing what the South Park fellows did. Those fellows are ardent Van Halen fans – they're been to Vegas and L.A. variously on the last tour. I saw the play [Book Of Mormon] and went home and we started putting together what I guess is called a jukebox musical, but it's not particular to Van Halen. Indeed we can create Van Halen material as the interstitials, but we have 15 songs ready to go, and it's my story. Indiana kid goes to the big city, sells his soul to the devil. Whatever Lola wants, Lola gets Dave. It's knockout stuff."

Von Halen
01-29-2016, 11:28 PM
Ok. Well nothing in that description says "Broadway musical", to me.

DONNIEP
01-29-2016, 11:47 PM

Dave says he went and saw Book Of Mormon and then ran home and cranked out the record with John 5. Book Of Mormon is a Broadway musical. And Dave's own words say he wrote a musical and then talks about how it's the story of his life lol. He's saying its a Broadway musical album that would be the music for the show.

Now, having said that, we're talking about Dave saying all this. It's probably all bullshit. But that's what he said and he couldn't have made it any clearer, what he said the record was. Does that mean that's what it is? Hell no! The guy says whatever he thinks people want to hear.

Von Halen
01-30-2016, 12:27 AM
I think I don't give a fuck. I just want to hear it.

DONNIEP
01-30-2016, 01:34 AM
I think I don't give a fuck. I just want to hear it.

I agree. Was just posting what Dave said about it, you grumpy old homo :biggrin:

DavidLeeNatra
01-30-2016, 01:57 AM
No...it says "concept album"...which is far worse... :biggrin:

FORD
01-30-2016, 02:27 AM
No...it says "concept album"...which is far worse... :biggrin:

A concept album based on the Book of Mormon? Nah, it's been done......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mx3-fxfpxRk

DavidLeeNatra
01-30-2016, 02:40 AM
Maybe we get Dave 's vision of "The Elder"...

Gesendet von meinem SM-G850F mit Tapatalk

FORD
01-30-2016, 02:45 AM
I've never heard that record, believe it or not. Gave up on KISS after the Disco Dynasty album, and other then the few singles which made it onto the radio or MTV (most of which were horrible) I pretty much ignored them until the Unplugged show in 1995, which of course spawned the reunion tour.

My friend who was a KiSS fanatic told me The Elder sucked, so I figured if he hated it, I wouldn't even bother trying to listen.

DavidLeeNatra
01-30-2016, 06:16 AM
I've never heard that record, believe it or not. Gave up on KISS after the Disco Dynasty album, and other then the few singles which made it onto the radio or MTV (most of which were horrible) I pretty much ignored them until the Unplugged show in 1995, which of course spawned the reunion tour.

My friend who was a KiSS fanatic told me The Elder sucked, so I figured if he hated it, I wouldn't even bother trying to listen.
Never listened to it either. Revange wasn't that bad. And I admit that I bought Psycho Circus out of curiosity. It sucked...so did the 3D concert but I wanted to see the original line up for once.

Gesendet von meinem SM-G850F mit Tapatalk

ZahZoo
01-30-2016, 09:07 AM

Exactly... Dave said "jukebox musical".

Which equates to an Expressway Musical™... something more fittingly inspired by life under a highway overpass in some rundown industrial area of the central California valley near Bakersfield... Geographically speaking this would be Dave's fertile inspirational ground in a way like the Mississippi Delta was to Muddy Waters, John Lee Hooker, Robert Johnson and other great artistic visionaries...

PETE'S BROTHER
01-30-2016, 10:45 AM

Which equates to an Expressway Musical™... something more fittingly inspired by life under a highway overpass in some rundown industrial area of the central California valley near Bakersfield... Geographically speaking this would be Dave's fertile inspirational ground in a way like the Mississippi Delta was to Muddy Waters, John Lee Hooker, Robert Johnson and other great artistic visionaries...

and ace diamond

DONNIEP
01-30-2016, 11:27 AM

Nice post. It reminds me that all you guys should read Van Halen - Exuberant California Zen Rock 'N Roll. If you haven't read it, trust me - it's really, really good. Delves into areas that ZZ's post reminds me of

Terry
01-30-2016, 08:42 PM
When I think about a couple of the comments Ed made last year, which were along the lines of "Dave does not want to be my friend" and "I'd like to make new music but there are 4 of us in the band: three of us like rock and roll and one of us likes dance music...and Dave does not want to come to the table"...maybe another Van Halen album with Roth on vocals just isn't in the cards.

However, it wouldn't surprise me if Roth chose not to do anything he thinks would upset the apple cart, like releasing a new solo album, and potentially derail his prospects of future tours with Van Halen.

If I'm looking at the facts, Roth's last 2 full length solo album releases of new original material or newly recorded material didn't sell well. Maybe 100-200k units per release, with 200k units probably being a generous estimate. If I'm Dave at this point in his career, am I going to want to release a solo project with John 5 that might sell 50,000 copies and possibly threaten my day job with Van Halen? Even if the EEAS lineup reunited and recorded a new album, how many records would that sell today?

If I'm Dave and it's a choice between going back to what he was doing commercially from 1999 to 2006 in terms of albums sold and venue sizes played (keeping in mind that the highest-profile thing he did during those years was a combo tour with Sammy Hagar) as opposed to the safe and lucrative gig of being Van Halen's lead singer, it's a no-fuckin'-brainer. Mostly because Dave knows this isn't 1985 anymore: if he leaves Van Halen again, he ain't gonna be filling arenas solely on the strength of his own name THIS time around even if he DID get Sheehan and Vai back onstage with him. He's gonna go right back to 1,000 seat venues and being somewhere on the bill at various Ribfests and State Fairs/Expos. That's not a slam against Dave, but just a hard dose of reality. If anyone thinks it would be any different, you're only deluding yourselves.

If you're Dave, do you want to end your career playing good-sized venues with a nice, fat guaranteed paycheck every night fronting Van Halen? Or do you want to end your career being the headlining act at The House Of Blues in Orlando, Florida? Personally, one of the better Roth shows I've seen in recent years was at the Hard Rock Café in Universal Studios, Orlando. Has a capacity of 3,000. Roth played a GREAT solo show there in 2006. I actually enjoyed that show better than the Van Halen show I saw in Tampa a couple of years later. As a fan, I'd much rather see Roth in a smaller venue. However, if I'm putting myself in Roth's shoes, I think I'd opt for the bigger paycheck.

Seshmeister
01-30-2016, 09:21 PM
The other side of the argument is he now has his 'fuck you' money restocked.

The reunion tours with Van Halen probably netted him 7 figures so he can do what he wants.

There is an argument that could be made that they split up first time around the minute they all had their 'fuck you' money.

Jetstream
01-30-2016, 09:26 PM
Well, today on social media an image of Dave was posted visiting a competition rodeo in California and the dude looks happy... as a Dave fan, that made me think that maybe that LP might see the light of day :)

Von Halen
01-30-2016, 10:31 PM
Terry, you're forgetting one thing. It's not entirely Dave's choice whether he fronts VH, or not. I don't think Dave has to worry about "upsetting the apple cart". Ed will either sign Dave to another contract, or he won't. I'm betting he won't.

No way there will be a full blown EEAS reunion, that includes an album. I'll be surprised if they ever even reschedule that gig. I don't think there is any way in hell, that at this point in their careers, Vai or Sheehan will be willing to deal with Dave for any length of time.

I am with you on the smaller venues. I'd rather see any band with Dave, in a smaller venue.

Time will tell. Unfortunately at the pace these guys move, it will be a lengthy amount of time. Many more rock stars will probably drop dead before these dumbfuck a ever do anything again.

Terry
01-31-2016, 07:15 AM
The other side of the argument is he now has his 'fuck you' money restocked.

The reunion tours with Van Halen probably netted him 7 figures so he can do what he wants.

There is an argument that could be made that they split up first time around the minute they all had their 'fuck you' money.

Yeah, all of that may well be true.

The last 3 tours did quite well, so one would guess all of them should be set (although apparently Alex discards wives the way you and I do socks, with the downside being that his wives cost much more to replace) for quite some time.

Terry
01-31-2016, 07:24 AM
Terry, you're forgetting one thing. It's not entirely Dave's choice whether he fronts VH, or not. I don't think Dave has to worry about "upsetting the apple cart". Ed will either sign Dave to another contract, or he won't. I'm betting he won't.

No way there will be a full blown EEAS reunion, that includes an album. I'll be surprised if they ever even reschedule that gig. I don't think there is any way in hell, that at this point in their careers, Vai or Sheehan will be willing to deal with Dave for any length of time.

I am with you on the smaller venues. I'd rather see any band with Dave, in a smaller venue.

Time will tell. Unfortunately at the pace these guys move, it will be a lengthy amount of time. Many more rock stars will probably drop dead before these dumbfuck a ever do anything again.

All valid points.

I'd still tend to think that Roth remembers how releasing his CFTH EP created friction within the band and, while not the key element in the 1985 split, ended up becoming one of many flash points that led to the breakup. Put it this way: at this point there would be no downside to holding off on releasing a new solo project until his contract situation with Van Halen going forward is resolved one way or the other.

I don't really see much REASON for the band to go forward with Roth at this point myself, if it's going to be more of the same that it has been since the ADKOT tour ended. About the only circumstance I'd entertain seeing them again would be if Anthony rejoins the band and reconstitutes the full-on CVH lineup for a last tour. The chances of that happening are probably slim, but even despite everything that has happened I still don't think beyond the realm of possibility (although a Van Hagar lineup reunion might be more probable).

Should CVH reunite, unlike the last Van Halen tour I might not opt to skip seeing THAT.

Then again, if they wait another three years to make a move, I might just as easily no longer give a shit. I didn't care the last time they came around, and that was a first for me.

ZahZoo
01-31-2016, 08:14 AM
Seems logical that "a contract situation" may exist... but then again... There's no solid proof that any agreement was inked that covers forward based time elements binding Roth and the Dutch Pricks™.

I believe many of us assume they inked a comprehensive deal. Given the volatility of their past dealings... could very well be they chose a take it, as it goes approach. No future road map... just one-off agreements to divide the spoils when they do agree to do something.

Counting on the Van Halens to continue or not with Roth would involve them actually doing something. I think 2016 is a safe bet nothing gets done...

DONNIEP
01-31-2016, 08:17 AM
Should CVH reunite, unlike the last Van Halen tour I might not opt to skip seeing THAT.

Then again, if they wait another three years to make a move, I might just as easily no longer give a shit. I didn't care the last time they came around, and that was a first for me.

Yeah, that's how I felt when they came to town last year - I just didn't care. Friends were asking me if I was going, the day of the show. And I kept saying I don't know yet, maybe. In the end I wound up skipping the show because I just couldn't get excited about it. I don't know if it's because I hate Ed so much or because I didn't want to pay to see the bass player again (ironically he's probably the only decent person out of the bunch), or if it's just that I'm burned out on the whole thing. We've all spent so much time chasing and arguing about and discussing and hanging on that band's every move that I just kinda don't care anymore. I didn't even watch more than a few of the tour videos, Dave seemed to be doing ok in the ones I watched. But I just didn't want to go to the show and didn't regret missing it. Which, like Terry, was a first for me too

vandeleur
01-31-2016, 09:36 AM
Here is s wild card option , go make some real money.
Apart from a couple of Thomas cook city breaks to oz and Japan all they did was sell coals to Newcastle meaning you cynical kuntz.

Go play the rest of the world go join these shitty tours that play Rock in rio and Africa and Saudis Arabia and other ridiculous places , come over to Europe and take our money.
They could make a fucking fortune flogging the dead horse over here , it's not even a dead horse over here it is seen so seldom it's like a fucking unicorn.

Some financial retard must have thought of don't release new stuff to people who used to love you ,sell the same old shit to new people or at least people who havent seen you since you supported black sabbath .

It a no brainer .... Jeezus, Dave is still funny in South America . Put a wig on wolf and tell us it's Mike we will believe you . Fuck I thought that was daves hair on the skyscraper tour.

All am ranting is there are options that might mean getting off the sofa to make big money on the name , who cares he has played the same solo for 40 years here is my money .

vandeleur
01-31-2016, 09:48 AM
But hey why make money when sammy has written " I want to lick your sunshine " and " fist pump your starfish" for ed as we speak :)

Angel
01-31-2016, 10:14 AM
Jeff H posted at the Links yesterday that Dave's self-imposed break from social media is about to come to an end....

ZahZoo
01-31-2016, 11:15 AM
Jeff H posted at the Links yesterday that Dave's self-imposed break from social media is about to come to an end....

The fans react...

https://bernasvibethewayiseeit.files.wordpress.com/2013/04/boredomsleep.jpg

DONNIEP
01-31-2016, 12:09 PM

It could have come to an end two months ago and we wouldn't have known it, lol. I hope like hell he ain't reviving the Roth Show. Or if he is, at least talk about the shit people want to hear. I can't sit through another 40 minutes of talk about some Vietnorean wrestler or how he consciously mixed elements from a whole buncha gay crap to come up with his fake persona of a poon hound party guy. Just sit there and talk about the VH days and your solo career and break out some of the shit from those years to show us. And take us down to your storage units and let us see shit like the Davesicle (yes I know I misspelled it). And for the people who still think he doesn't own it - you're wrong. He does. And probably a lot of other cool shit. And cut in to clips and video from all those years that hasn't really been released and show it and talk about it too. I know, ooh - Ed might sue him cause he's so scary powerful. Do you know how many years you could drag out a lawsuit like that? Ed would give up or die before Dave ever had to pay a dime.

And he could do shit like drive around LA in the Merc and point out all the places they used to play and hang and stop in at Irv's and he could pretend to be cool and not a fuckin weirdo who sits around in bunny jammies with a bunch of stupid pop tarts and red bull scattered around as if he actually even knows what either one tastes like.

There - I just came up with the most awesome Roth Show ideas ever. I could shoot all that shit in six days and have enough video to post an episode a week for a year. He should hire me. I'd make Von my camera guy and we'd make Dave appear to be cool again.

Von Halen
01-31-2016, 12:16 PM

Yeah, Dave's current team (if they haven't been fired yet, they will be soon enough) are working diligently on the next ground breaking, interwebs changing, social media extravaganza for ole Diamond Dave. You will be able to keep up with all of Dave's activities, quarterly. Hopefully it features brilliant stuff like a back yard bbq. Or sitting in the middle of nowhere in a plastic chair. Or maybe Dave will host that stupid fucking dog show all the snooty fucks like to go to. Or maybe there will be new Roth Shows! Holy shit, just think if he gets with the times and comes out with a PODCAST!! Holy fuck, that would be amazing!

Whatever it is, I'm sure it will take not only the interwebs, but the world, by storm.

chuckjitsu
01-31-2016, 02:41 PM
Maybe it's possible Dave has no interest in returning. He's a lot of things, but I wouldn't say stupid is one of them (well, other than his decision to leave VH in the first place). I have mentioned in the past about Dave's self identity being wrapped up in "Dave Roth, lead singer of VH", but he has to realize that the sun is setting on VH, even if he and EVH were best buds, which they're obviously not. I don't think there's much left to squeeze out of a Dave led VH at this point, although I do think there's enough left in the tank for one more album which I'd like to see. Short of that, do a farewell tour with Mike and call it a day. If Ed then wants to fuck around with a certain capri wearing 70 year old, that's on him.

Oh- and start releasing all that old audio/video shit that's sitting around somewhere collecting dust.

Terry
01-31-2016, 04:23 PM

Meh.

Roth used to give interesting interviews, but when it's just him rambling and rambling and rambling on I don't have the patience anymore to extract diamond dust from dogshit/a few interesting anecdotes from 2 hours of him laughing at his own jokes.

I'd just as soon see the guy playing music as long as he is still actually able to do so, rather than have him act out some contrived and outdated rock star stud persona for a podcast or see him ham-handedly playing a role he thinks his shrinking fanbase still wants to believe in, surrounded by models 1/3 his age. It'd be more laughable and sad than anything else.

Jetstream
01-31-2016, 09:34 PM
I know what the fuck the man should do... run for president. Who cares if he wins or not, document the whole thing and make a farce out of what the election really is right now and a get a running mate who is like really fucking hot and make sure she is psychotic and says all kind of wacked out stuff in barley anything you would want to call legit clothes

DONNIEP
01-31-2016, 10:20 PM
I know what the fuck the man should do... run for president. Who cares if he wins or not, document the whole thing and make a farce out of what the election really is right now and a get a running mate who is like really fucking hot and make sure she is psychotic and says all kind of wacked out stuff in barley anything you would want to call legit clothes

I don't think he'd be interested in a hot chick VP :biggrin:

Jetstream
01-31-2016, 11:56 PM
I don't care Donnie, I would be. It is not like Clint Eastwood ever killed anyone (at least to my knowledge) in the actual world and I want to be entertained.... could you imagine the attention horror Spammy would have if Dave jumped out on the biggest stage while all he is advertising is a 'Rock and Roll weekend with old hair bands lol