PDA

View Full Version : Prince is dead

Pages : 1 [2]

Seshmeister
06-08-2016, 08:28 AM

vandeleur
06-08-2016, 09:37 AM
Would like to say my fav prince tune but it can change as these things do , but definitely one of my favourite .

DONNIEP
06-08-2016, 10:08 AM

Now that's a fuckin rock show!! Ed should watch some of these videos, see how it's done. OBC might even learn a thing or two.

twonabomber
06-08-2016, 06:32 PM
Would like to say my fav prince tune but it can change as these things do , but definitely one of my favourite .

Probably his last good album. Just about anything after it has more misses than hits.

Seshmeister
06-08-2016, 07:57 PM
Exciting time to be a Prince fan, a motherlode of new stuff coming online now.

twonabomber
06-08-2016, 08:03 PM
I read an article on the Star Tribune site that says the administrator of the estate is aware of the bootlegging:

Finally, Bremer needs to negotiate a larger class of commitments and contracts that have to do with Prince’s intellectual property. Peterson said time is of the essence.

“There is ongoing bootlegging going on,” he said, adding that the music world needs to know that Bremer Trust is monitoring that.

I hit the torrents pretty hard the first few weeks after Prince's death, but haven't checked for anything I don't already have since. Maybe I'll look again this week.

Seshmeister
06-08-2016, 08:29 PM
I didn't mean to make out I had inside info, you are far more on top of this than me, I'm very much a casual fan.

I'm thinking more of the people out there I know who would never go near a torrent but are now seeing new stuff on YouTube or whatever.

DONNIEP
06-08-2016, 09:26 PM
"There is ongoing bootlegging going on"...

Jesus Christ, can no one string a fucking sentence together anymore?

FORD
06-08-2016, 09:39 PM
If Jesus Christ strung that sentence together, it would probably be something like "And henceforth there was much bootlegging amongst the disciples of Prince, and verily the number of available recordings did multiply greatly amongst the purple flock"

DONNIEP
06-08-2016, 10:18 PM
If Jesus Christ strung that sentence together, it would probably be something like "And henceforth there was much bootlegging amongst the disciples of Prince, and verily the number of available recordings did multiply greatly amongst the purple flock"

And He looked upon the available recordings and He said they were good enough...

twonabomber
06-09-2016, 05:12 AM
"There is ongoing bootlegging going on"...

Jesus Christ, can no one string a fucking sentence together anymore?

Might have been one of the lawyers...

http://www.startribune.com/first-conflict-arises-in-prince-s-estate/382108581/

twonabomber
06-12-2016, 03:47 AM
Dave Rusan: Building Prince’s Cloud Guitar

http://www.premierguitar.com/articles/24199-dave-rusan-building-princes-cloud-guitar

twonabomber
02-15-2017, 07:33 PM
Prince's 'Purple Rain' Reissue Packed With Unreleased Music, Concert Films

Two albums of unearthed songs from Prince's vaults and two complete concerts to accompany remastered 1984 masterpiece

With Prince's music on the verge of returning to all streaming services, Warner Bros. Records announced Sunday that the long-awaited reissue of the 1984 classic Purple Rain will arrive this June packed with previously unreleased music and concert films from the Paisley Park vault.

The Purple Rain reissue, the first posthumous Prince release since the Prince 4Ever compilation featuring the unearthed "Moonbeam Levels" arrived in November, is due out June 9th.

The reissue pairs the newly remastered Purple Rain with "two incredible albums of previously unreleased Prince music and two complete concert films." The exact contents of that bonus material have not yet been announced.

"When we make any of Prince’s music available to fans - from the hits to unreleased gems - we are committed to upholding Prince’s high creative standards and we know fans will be thrilled when they hear these albums and see these films," Warner Bros. Records CEO Cameron Strang said in a statement.

After 18 months as a Tidal exclusive, Prince's catalog will return to all digital music services by the time the Grammys air, Warner Bros. Records stated, with the music starting to appear on streaming services as early as noon Sunday. On Sunday night, the Grammys will pay tribute to Prince with a special musical performance.

"Prince recorded his most influential and popular music during his time with Warner Bros. and we are deeply aware of our responsibility to safeguard and nurture his incredible legacy," Strang continued. "Warner Bros. is thrilled to be able to bring Prince’s music to his millions of fans around the world via streaming services, fittingly on music's biggest night."

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/princes-purple-rain-reissue-packed-with-unreleased-music-w466431

One concert film will likely be the Prince and the Revolution: LIVE show that was filmed in Syracuse in March of 1985, about a week before the end of the Purple Rain tour. Not sure what the other could be, maybe a show earlier in the tour, or the one that the MTV clip of I Would Die 4 U and Baby I'm A Star came from. The extra music could be the actual score by Michel Columbier. Most of that stuff has been released on bootleg, I think it's part of the Purple Rush set. And probably the Dez Dickerson, the Time, and Apollonia 6 tracks that aren't on the Purple Rain album.

There's a complete Lovesexy live video out there that might have been released on VHS and not since, that would be a good one to see released.

And speaking of the Time...they were grate on the Grammys. Always too short a set though. I really doubt Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis will give up producing to go on tour.

https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/16730413_1472777072757256_6779277669372343849_n.jp g?oh=df3f9991bba77ade3ad2ac0b0132669e&oe=59056959

Seshmeister
02-15-2017, 08:49 PM
With Prince's music on the verge of returning to all streaming services, Warner Bros. Records announced Sunday that the long-awaited reissue of the 1984 classic Purple Rain will arrive this June packed with previously unreleased music and concert films from the Paisley Park vault.

How are they selling this? - The 'It's what he would have wanted boxset'

Lawyers are going to be using him as a scare story for people not having proper wills... :D

FORD
02-15-2017, 09:03 PM
well the whole stunt with Prince changing his name to the dumb symbol was all part of a extended legal battle against Warner Brothers, so I would hope that in the middle of that he managed to secure his own catalog. Of course that doesn't answer the question of what happens since he's gone on to Jehova's big purple palace in the sky. Did they eventually settle the estate issues between all the various siblings, half-siblings, and step-siblings who came out of the woodwork just in time for the funeral?

Kristy
02-15-2017, 09:53 PM
This is a travesty. Warner Brothers already robbing his grave knowing that no one will fight them in court. You buy this shit then you're an asshole.

Unless, of course, they chug out a decent remaster of Sign O' The Times.

Sorry, slave SESH should read...then YOUR an asshole.

Seshmeister
02-15-2017, 11:42 PM
Sorry, slave SESH should read...then YOUR an asshole.

I have no idea if this refers to me using the wrong version of 'you're' in a post somewhere or you being upset that I mentioned one of yours. What I will say is that either way you clearly don't realise just how many typos/grammatical errors you routinely make. People only mention around 10% of them because it would be so dull to do it every time.

Kristy
02-16-2017, 12:17 AM
Well, let's raise thft number.

...for YOU'RE benefit, of course.

twonabomber
02-16-2017, 04:20 AM
This is a travesty. Warner Brothers already robbing his grave knowing that no one will fight them in court. You buy this shit then you're an asshole.

Unless, of course, they chug out a decent remaster of Sign O' The Times.

Album, or movie? Maybe they'd remaster the album and release it as a three disc set, as Prince wanted to do in the first place.

Warners doesn't have the rights to the SOTT movie, some other company released it. New Line maybe, I don't remember.

twonabomber
02-16-2017, 10:14 PM
Or maybe what's known as Makings of Rain. Filmed August 3rd of 1983, it was originally a benefit concert for the Minnestoa Dance Theater. The basic tracks of Computer Blue, I Would Die 4 U, Baby I'm A Star and Purple Rain from this concert were used for the album version.

It's still on YouTube, but with the audio portion muted. Not hard to find if you know where to look.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAub8iLzehI

Setlist
Let's Go Crazy
When You Were Mine
A Case Of You
Computer Blue
Delirious
Electric Intercourse
Automatic
I Would Die 4 U
Baby, I'm A Star
Little Red Corvette
Purple Rain
D.M.S.R.

cadaverdog
02-16-2017, 10:56 PM
well the whole stunt with Prince changing his name to the dumb symbol was all part of a extended legal battle against Warner Brothers, so I would hope that in the middle of that he managed to secure his own catalog.
Brian of Mark and Brian got in trouble with the FCC for saying Prince who was going by The Artist Formerly Known As Prince should change his name to dickhead. I don't think it was because he didn't like the guy it was more of a case of thinking all the hoopla surrounding Prince at the time was attention whoring. I personally never cared for his music but the thought of him inviting Sinead O Connor to his home and terrorizing her for hours on end without actually harming her did endear me to the guy.

twonabomber
02-17-2017, 02:46 PM
Brian of Mark and Brian got in trouble with the FCC for saying Prince who was going by The Artist Formerly Known As Prince should change his name to dickhead. I don't think it was because he didn't like the guy it was more of a case of thinking all the hoopla surrounding Prince at the time was attention whoring. I personally never cared for his music but the thought of him inviting Sinead O Connor to his home and terrorizing her for hours on end without actually harming her did endear me to the guy.

No, he got fined for using the word dickhead. Didn't matter who he said was a dickhead.

cadaverdog
02-17-2017, 07:02 PM
No, he got fined for using the word dickhead. Didn't matter who he said was a dickhead.Thanx for the clarification. Don't know why it needed one but thanx anyway.

twonabomber
03-06-2017, 11:31 AM
http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/princes-revolution-expands-north-american-tour-w470529

The Revolution tour expanded!

April 21 – Minneapolis, MN @ Celebration 2017 at Paisley Park
April 23 – Chicago, IL @ Metro
April 24 – Chicago, IL @ Metro
April 27 – Washington, DC @ The Fillmore Silver Spring
April 28 – New York, NY @ B.B. King’s
April 29 – Philadelphia, PA @ Theatre of Living Arts
April 30 – Philadelphia, PA @ Theatre of Living Arts
May 3 – New York, NY @ Webster Hall
May 4 – Port Chester, NY @ Capitol Theatre
May 12 – Madison, WI @ Barrymore Theatre
May 14 – Indianapolis, IN @ The Vogue
May 16 – Cincinnati, OH @ Bogart’s
May 18 – Cleveland, OH @ House of Blues
May 20 – Detroit, MI @ Majestic Theater
May 21 – Toronto, Ont @ Phoenix Theatre
June 14 – Dallas, TX @ House of Blues
June 15 – Houston, TX @ House of Blues
June 16 – San Antonio, TX @ The Aztec Theater
June 17 – Austin, TX @ ACL Live
June 21 – Las Vegas, NV @ Brooklyn Bowl
June 22 – San Diego, CA @ House of Blues
June 23 – Los Angeles, CA @ Wiltern
July 12 – San Francisco, CA @ The Fillmore
July 15 – Seattle, WA @ The Showbox

Von Halen
03-06-2017, 09:49 PM
Why would anybody go see that?

twonabomber
03-06-2017, 10:51 PM
I'll buy you a ticket for the Detroit show.

Von Halen
03-06-2017, 11:06 PM
I wouldn't go see the fuckers if Prince was still alive. I sure as hell ain't going to go see a dead guys band play without him.

twonabomber
03-06-2017, 11:13 PM
They haven't been his band since 1987!

Nitro Express
03-06-2017, 11:47 PM
https://youtu.be/AJzxCIWCU08

Nitro Express
03-06-2017, 11:51 PM
https://youtu.be/qOV88Q_v3c4

twonabomber
03-06-2017, 11:58 PM
Wendy says none of them will sing Darling Nikki, they'll have someone else come up and do it.

Prince stopped playing it when he went Witness, so it'll be good to hear it live again.

Nitro Express
03-07-2017, 12:08 AM
The drummer died of a heart attack. So you have Dr. Fink. Wendy and Lisa. I think Dez and Andre from the earlier band are still around.

twonabomber
03-07-2017, 12:22 AM
Bobby Z almost died. He's in the band and going to tour.

Dez and Andre showed up when they played First Avenue last year, not sure if they'll tour.

FORD
03-07-2017, 12:46 AM
Wendy says none of them will sing Darling Nikki, they'll have someone else come up and do it.

Prince stopped playing it when he went Witness, so it'll be good to hear it live again.

Call Dave Grohl. He'll do it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Jv7azQ8j9c

Nitro Express
03-07-2017, 01:09 AM
Bobby Z almost died. He's in the band and going to tour.

Dez and Andre showed up when they played First Avenue last year, not sure if they'll tour.

I thought Bobby Z bought the farm. Good to hear. So pretty much the whole Revolution is going on tour. I think it was pretty much BobbyZ, Dr. Fink, Wendy and Lisa. Who was the bass player in the Revolution? I don't think Andre was in the band then.

twonabomber
03-07-2017, 01:13 AM
Brown Mark on bass.

https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t31.0-8/17039012_10154382824746381_8841716779854789922_o.j pg?oh=ae7213cb1a4a018804041d0ffa81fd95&oe=59262011

Nitro Express
03-07-2017, 01:21 AM
Wendy is playing the same type Strat I have. Early 70's in Olympic White. She played rhythm guitar with a Rickenbacker but with Prince gone she's probably having to play lead. I notice she's got a trusty Hoffner Tele up there. Wonder if that's one of Price's guitars? It's exactly what he used to play.

twonabomber
03-07-2017, 01:36 AM
Pretty sure it is one of Prince's Hofners.

Von Halen
03-07-2017, 09:55 AM
Okay, so I didn't know this band hasn't been the dead douchebags band since 1987. I still don't understand why anybody would go see them. Their singer is DEAD. Were they doing these tours before the dead douchebag died? Or is this a cash grab, that mindless fools are contributing too? Is it even the original band?

I'm surprised other dead singers bands aren't doing this. If it's this easy to get fools to throw their money away, why wouldn't more do it? Where's Elvis' (the real Elvis, not ours) band? Where's Whitney's band?

I bet you fuckers can't wait for Springsteen to croak, so you can go see some semblance of the E Street Band perform without him!

Refuckingtarded.

twonabomber
03-08-2017, 03:29 PM
Balcony at House Of Blues sold out in presale. I'll be on the floor, tickets acquired.

And I don't like Springsteen!

Nitro Express
03-08-2017, 03:46 PM
Okay, so I didn't know this band hasn't been the dead douchebags band since 1987. I still don't understand why anybody would go see them. Their singer is DEAD. Were they doing these tours before the dead douchebag died? Or is this a cash grab, that mindless fools are contributing too? Is it even the original band?

I'm surprised other dead singers bands aren't doing this. If it's this easy to get fools to throw their money away, why wouldn't more do it? Where's Elvis' (the real Elvis, not ours) band? Where's Whitney's band?

I bet you fuckers can't wait for Springsteen to croak, so you can go see some semblance of the E Street Band perform without him!

Refuckingtarded.

All it means is the dead guy's band didn't have jobs that were that great to where they all could get together and grab some cash from some ass wipe Prince worshippers on the road. If it pays off, they will expand the tour.

twonabomber
03-08-2017, 03:54 PM
Wendy and Lisa do soundtrack work, they won an Emmy for the theme for Showtime's Nurse Jackie.

Not sure what the other guys do.

Nitro Express
03-08-2017, 04:04 PM
Maybe they hated doing the soundtrack work. Stewart Copeland did well in it but bailed later saying the whole Hollywood system sucks. Wendy and Lisa were at some seminar at USC and they really didn't seem all that enthused about what they were doing in Hollywood. Maybe they are just waxing nostalgic and want to be on the road again. Who knows. Anyways the tour schedule is there for those who give a rat's behind.

twonabomber
03-08-2017, 04:16 PM
Tour might be done in time to keep up the soundtrack work. Wendy says they couldn't do the tribute show in MPLS because they were working on the music for a series.

Nitro Express
03-08-2017, 04:58 PM
Well the thing about that soundtrack stuff is even if you are known to do go work when the producer wants the music they want it when they want it and if you aren't available they find someone else and that's easy. In short, you are easily replaced even if you are good.

Seshmeister
03-10-2017, 06:13 AM

This is nothing new - Queen? INXS? AC/DC?

twonabomber
03-10-2017, 06:58 AM

I was glad when INXS got rid of JD Fortune. Watched the show, didn't like that guy from the get go.

vandeleur
03-10-2017, 07:47 AM

Yip ,Bon Scott was a poor replacement ;)

Von Halen
03-10-2017, 09:19 AM

Really?

I wouldn't know an INXS song if it came on the radio. Nor do I know anything about that band, or what they've done.

Queen? They were doing this within a year of Mercury dying?

AC/DC? You are really comparing this fraud of a tour capitalizing on an individuals (Prince) music to what AC/DC did after Bon Scott died? Really? AC/DC didn't almost immediately go back into the studio and record an album of all original material? Did AC/DC go on tour promoting and playing primarily Bon Scott era material, simply to capitalize from it?

Wow. Next you'll be telling us VH did the exact same thing too, when Dave left.

FORD
03-10-2017, 11:35 AM
I was glad when INXS got rid of JD Fortune. Watched the show, didn't like that guy from the get go.

Yeah, they should have gone with Ty Taylor instead. Better singer than JD by far.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmuFdDDfzqU

FORD
03-10-2017, 11:45 AM
Yip ,Bon Scott was a poor replacement ;)

Considering Bon's first group The Valentines was a 60s bubblegum band and his second, Fraternity, was some weird hippie music with flutes & shit, it's a miracle that he ever got the gig at all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQ-45XG7n4k

twonabomber
03-10-2017, 12:25 PM
It's going to be a Replacement Singer Summer! First the Revolution, and then Queen + Adam Lambert in July...will staff be fired if they attend a Van Hagar reunion show? lol

vandeleur
03-10-2017, 12:27 PM
It's going to be a Replacement Singer Summer! First the Revolution, and then Queen + Adam Lambert in July...will staff be fired if they attend a Van Hagar reunion show? lol

Fuck , daves dead ??? :D

DONNIEP
03-10-2017, 05:18 PM
will staff be fired if they attend a Van Hagar reunion show? lol

Fired?? Hell, attendance should be mandatory!

twonabomber
04-29-2017, 05:33 PM
So the tracklist for the Purple Rain re-issue has been released, not really any surprises on it. The live DVD will be the PPV/VHS from Syracuse.

Here's one thing that's not on the re-issue...a 40 minute guitar workout recorded at a PR tour rehearsal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5TduyetENo

Seshmeister
04-30-2017, 03:04 PM
This is a good documentary with lots of music, not sure if you can stream it in the US?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b08m09gh

Prince and Me

Paul Sexton introduces the people that knew Prince best, including fellow artists, friends, band members, engineers and others who were part of his life and work. These are the confidants who knew the real man, and who vividly describe his upbringing, his humour, his superhuman energy, his moods and motivations.

Embellished with a soundtrack containing both classic hits, lesser-known tracks from his formidable album catalogue and rarities, 'Prince And Me' builds into a vibrant portrait of a remarkable human. Andre Cymone, who rarely speaks in detail about his childhood friend, recounts the teenage years when Prince moved in with his family and they shared bunk beds and formed their first band together. The similarly private Susannah Melvoin, from the mid-1980s group The Family - one of Prince's first signings to his Paisley Park label - talks about her personal and professional relationship with him, and the group's original version of 'Nothing Compares 2 U.'

Beverley Knight recalls the thrill of performing with Prince at the famed aftershows during his epic 21-night residency at London's 02, and the even more surreal experience of being flown by him to sing at his private Oscars party in Hollywood.

His former UK publicist Alan Edwards remembers the night he and Prince went clubbing and ended up discussing Egyptology, and Suzanne Vega reveals why the Purple One sent her a hand-written letter about one of her songs. Plus contributions from biographer Matt Thorne, New Power Generation keyboard player Tommy Barbarella and more.
Show less

FORD
04-30-2017, 04:03 PM
Oddly enough, it seems to be working in the US. (Odd because BBC/IPlayer content usually IS geo-blocked).

Of course if anybody else is having issues, there's always the option of using the Opera browser with the built in VPN. (set it for a UK based IP, obviously)

Seshmeister
04-30-2017, 09:40 PM
I wonder if it's ok because it's radio rather than TV?

Prince's engineer Susan Rogers came across a bit defensive at first which made me go back and look it up and apparently they fell out later when she commented on not liking some of his later stuff.

It's arguable that she engineered his best work but there is a big difference between being a producer and an engineer, this wasn't Mutt Lange and Def Leppard.

twonabomber
05-01-2017, 04:54 AM
I was able to download it. Thanks for the link!

vandeleur
05-02-2017, 07:40 AM
Working through it

twonabomber
05-18-2017, 11:40 PM
Great show! Good to hear some of these songs live again. Especially the stuff from 1999 and earlier. Heavy on the Purple Rain era, eight songs including Erotic City. Pretty much everything but the Beautiful Ones and Darling Nikki. Stokely Williams from Mint Condition was guest vocalist and did most of the falsetto parts. Wendy mentioned Chris Cornell during Sometimes It Snows In April. Our Destiny / Roadhouse Garden will be on the Purple Rain reissue and were well received.

Had some excellent tacos at Zocalo Tequileria on East 4th St (within view of our usual DLR pre-show, Flannery's) and wandered around a bit before the show. Nice night to be downtown, Indians were off and the Cavs are in Boston.

Computer Blue
America
Mountains
Automatic
Take Me With U
Uptown
D.M.S.R.
Our Destiny / Roadhouse Garden
Raspberry Beret
Erotic City
Let's Work
Paisley Park
Controversy / Mutiny
Sometimes It Snows in April (Lisa and Wendy acoustic and piano)
Let's Go Crazy
Delirious
Kiss
When Doves Cry
Purple Rain

Encore:
I Would Die 4 U
Baby I'm a Star

Kristy
06-20-2017, 06:59 PM
Looks like Warner Brothers could not wait to rip that dead fucker off.

https://youtu.be/YtB8bN2IhOE

$35 retail for a compressed remaster and a shitty DVD?

twonabomber
06-21-2017, 11:56 AM
Actually Warners is late.

When Prince re-signed with WB in 2014, the Purple Rain remaster was to have been released in time for the 30th anniversary of the original release. Prince supposedly nixed the remaster's release. Prince had been saying he wasn't interested in revisiting the past, only making new music.

In an interview promoting one of the Revolution's reunion shows, bassist BrownMark claims that Prince told him that once he was done with the 3rdEyeGirl phase he'd get the Revolution back together.

Kristy
06-21-2017, 03:28 PM
^ ^ ^

Fake news.

Kristy
06-22-2017, 11:52 PM
She has limey teeth

https://youtu.be/c1VaBBNqGOo

Kristy
06-22-2017, 11:52 PM
More limey teeth

https://youtu.be/TjflZZJsoYo

Kristy
06-23-2017, 03:42 PM
My copy arrived today and I must say I'm impressed. The real gem here is the 3rd disc with the B-sides and edits while the vault stuff, yeah, should have remained in the vault. The DVD absolutely sucks. It's not 1080, not in Dolby and the mix is beyond fucking awful.

twonabomber
06-23-2017, 06:21 PM
The Syracuse show was shot on tape and not film. I remember the crappy mix from the VHS version.

Kristy
06-23-2017, 06:40 PM
Either way it should have NEVER been released. It's really unwatchable.

twonabomber
06-23-2017, 07:31 PM
We Can Fuck became Graffiti Bridge's We Can Funk, with George Clinton on vocals. Awful movie, slightly better soundtrack.

Good to have a clean copy of the long version of Computer Blue. Some of the bootlegs have four or five versions, this one cleaned up well. I think it's Computer Blue #4 from the Purple Rush bootleg.

Kristy
06-23-2017, 08:43 PM
This "remaster" and the 2017 "remix" of Sgt. Pepper are the only ones I've heard that were done right. Unlike those 2013 Zeppelin pieces of absolute shit. Purple Rain is loud but not brightly loud as in over-compressed to fucking death loud. You can actually hear the acoustic guitar that was originally low in the mix of 'Take Me With U' shine here. Prince must have played more instruments on these tunes because I've never heard them before.

Some of these 7" B-sides of Prince are quite good.

vandeleur
06-24-2017, 12:37 PM
One thing from this thread that is very clear is that Prince is dead yet still more productive than you Kristy :)

Kristy
06-24-2017, 02:49 PM
Well, the Prince & I do share one common factor: we're not limeys.

twonabomber
06-27-2017, 06:13 AM
Prince's Epic 'Purple Rain' Tour: An Oral History

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/features/princes-epic-purple-rain-tour-an-oral-history-w476429

Seshmeister
10-17-2019, 10:19 PM
I just found out that Minneapolis airport is named after that nazi supporter and general bad guy Charles Lindbergh. When is it going to be renamed Prince Airport?

According to Google there was actually a petition at the time of Prince's death to have this happen but it still hasn't.

Nitro Express
10-18-2019, 06:23 PM
I just found out that Minneapolis airport is named after that nazi supporter and general bad guy Charles Lindbergh. When is it going to be renamed Prince Airport?

According to Google there was actually a petition at the time of Prince's death to have this happen but it still hasn't.

Yeah. Minneapolis. Great place. It’s wind blasted and freezing in the winter and in the summer the mosquitoes eat you alive. That isn’t a great airport anyways. Very dated.

Nickdfresh
10-18-2019, 09:15 PM

I'm not Lindbergh's biggest fan and yeah, maybe he shouldn't have an international airport named after him. But I think the Nazi thing is a bit of overreach even give his eugenics bullshit. He actually flew combat missions as a civilian in WWII (against the Japanese) shooting down maybe two Jap fighters, more importantly he helped improve certain USAAF fighters like the P-38...

He was a flawed human being and a product of his time...

Nitro Express
10-19-2019, 04:44 AM
Charles Lindbergh is a larger historical figure than Prince. Prince has nothing to do with aviation. Of course Lindbergh is remembered for his flight across the Atlantic. Who cares if there is an airport named after him? Seems to be a trend now to rename stuff and tear old statues down.

twonabomber
11-11-2019, 09:10 AM
Just read The Beautiful Ones. Mixed feelings about it, Prince had just started working on it before his death and it obviously feels unfinished. Copied pages of his handwritten notes and then some pic collections from certain years.

The estate got a lil' taste of money and is now in full cash grab mode. I will be buying the 1999 reissue but some of the other stuff I have no problem downloading.

Read the Morris Day book too. It's a quick read. Day "channels" Prince and it seems kind of weird.

Seshmeister
07-07-2020, 04:52 PM
Follow this link to audio of show - https://www.abc.net.au/radio/programs/take-5/susan-rogers-take-5/12421040

Susan Rogers’ catalyst songs

Download Susan Rogers’ catalyst songs (80.29 MB)
Download 80.29 MB
Susan Rogers, by her own admission, is a rare bird. A female producer and sound engineer in an industry dominated by men, her drive and commitment would land her side by side with Prince as his star soared. She came to work with him in Paisley Park as an audio technician right before he would begin Purple Rain, and she’d stay working with him and becoming his sound engineer through his commercial peak; recording Parade, Around the World in a Day, The Black Album, and Sign O the Times.

But Prince isn’t the only part of Susan Rogers’ story. In 1988 she left Minneapolis, and would go on to produce some of the biggest hits of the 90’s before taking the money from that to go back to school, and become a Professor at one of the world’s most prestigious music schools. Her name is synonymous with Prince, but the story of how Susan got there, and what she did after this legendary collaboration, is just as fascinating.

From finding her musical tribe as a kid in Orange County, to recording some of the most loved songs of all time, and diving into the neuroscience of why we connect with song, this is a brilliant conversation with a curious mind, and living legend.

James Brown - Papa's Got a Brand New Bag

Prince - Let's Go Crazy

Geggy Tah - Whoever You Are

Barenaked Ladies - One Week

Wilson Pickett - In the Midnight Hour

Duration: 58min 16sec
Broadcast: Fri 3 Jul 2020, 10:00am

twonabomber
07-08-2020, 10:53 PM
I have most of this stuff but I'll be buying:

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/prince-sign-o-the-times-reissue-1020394/

The Prince estate has announced a massive, vault-raiding reissue for 1987’s Sign O’ the Times, featuring more than 45 unreleased studio recordings.

The Super Deluxe Edition reissue — available either as a stacked eight-CD or 13-LP set on September 25th — boasts the remastered LP alongside three discs of unreleased music culled from Prince’s vault; a disc compiling the album’s single mixes, edits, and B sides; a 1987 live gig in Utrecht, the Netherlands; and a bonus concert film from Prince’s New Year’s Eve 1987 show at Paisley Park that featured a cameo by Miles Davis.

Among the highlights from the vault material — much of it was destined for Prince and the Revolution’s unreleased 1986 album Dream Factory — are the 1979 version of “I Could Never Take the Place of Your Man,” a take on “The Ballad of Dorothy Parker” with horns, “A Place in Heaven” with Prince’s vocals, and “Can I Play With U?” featuring Miles Davis.

The Super Deluxe Edition comes with a 120-page hardcover book containing Prince’s previously unseen handwritten lyrics for many of the songs from the era, unseen images from Prince’s primary photographer at the time, Jeff Katz, and liner notes by Prince’s creative peers and friends, including Dave Chappelle (in conversation with photographer Mathieu Bitton), Lenny Kravitz, and Prince’s longtime engineer Susan Rogers.

The Sign O’ the Times reissue, available for preorder now at Prince’s web store, will be released September 25th in a variety of formats, ranging from a barebones remastered two-LP version of the album on peach-colored vinyl to the massive 13-LP/one-DVD pressing. Additionally, the Prince estate has teamed with Third Man Records for a limited-edition seven-inch-vinyl box set showcasing all the singles from the album as well as a newly created single for the un-vaulted song “Witness 4 the Prosecution.”

Sign O’ the Times Super Deluxe Edition Track list

Remastered Album (CD One)

Sign O’ the Times
Play in the Sunshine
Housequake
The Ballad of Dorothy Parker
It
Starfish and Coffee
Slow Love
Hot Thing
Forever in My Life

Remastered Album (CD Two)

U Got the Look
If I Was Your Girlfriend
Strange Relationship
I Could Never Take the Place of Your Man
The Cross
It’s Gonna Be a Beautiful Night
Adore

Single Mixes and Edits (CD Three)

Sign O’ The Times (seven-inch single edit)
La, La, La, He, He, Hee (seven-inch single edit)
La, La, La, He, He, Hee (Highly Explosive) (seven-inch single edit)
If I Was Your Girlfriend (seven-inch single edit)
Shockadelica (“If I Was Your Girlfriend” B side)
Shockadelica (12-inch long version)
U Got the Look (Long Look) (12-inch edit)
Housequake (seven-inch edit)
Housequake (7 Minutes MoQuake)
I Could Never Take the Place Of Your Man (fade seven-inch edit)
Hot Thing (seven-inch single edit)
Hot Thing (extended remix)
Hot Thing (dub version)

Vault, Part One (CD Four)

All tracks previously unreleased

I Could Never Take the Place of Your Man (1979 version)
Teacher, Teacher (1985 version)
All My Dreams
Can I Play With U? (featuring Miles Davis)
Wonderful Day (original version)
Strange Relationship (original version)
Visions
The Ballad of Dorothy Parker (with horns)
Witness 4 the Prosecution (version one)
Power Fantastic (live in studio)
And That Says What?
Love and Sex
A Place in Heaven (Prince vocal)
Colors
Crystal Ball (seven-inch mix)
Big Tall Wall (version one)
Nevaeh Ni Ecalp A
In a Large Room With No Light

Vault, Part Two (CD Five)

Train
It Ain’t Over ‘Til the Fat Lady Sings
Eggplant (Prince vocal)
Everybody Want What They Don’t Got
Blanche
Soul Psychodelicide
The Ball
Adonis and Bathsheba
Forever in My Life (early vocal studio run-through)
Crucial (alternate lyrics)
The Cocoa Boys
When the Dawn of the Morning Comes
Witness 4 the Prosecution (version two)
It Be’s Like That Sometimes

Vault, Part Three (CD Six)

Emotional Pump
Rebirth of the Flesh (with original outro)
Cosmic Day
Walkin’ in Glory
Wally
I Need a Man
Promise to Be True
Jealous Girl (version two)
There’s Something I Like About Being Your Fool
Big Tall Wall (version two)
A Place in Heaven (Lisa vocal)
Wonderful Day (12-inch mix)
Strange Relationship (1987 Shep Pettibone club mix)

Live in Utrecht (CD Seven and CD Eight)

Intro/Sign O’ the Times
Play in the Sunshine
Little Red Corvette
Housequake
Girls and Boys
Slow Love
Take the “A” Train/Pacemaker/I Could Never Take the Place of Your Man
Hot Thing
Four (with Sheila E. Drum solo)
If I Was Your Girlfriend
Let’s Go Crazy
When Doves Cry
Purple Rain
Forever in My Life
Kiss
The Cross
It’s Gonna Be a Beautiful Night

Live at Paisley Park — December 31st, 1987 (DVD)

Sign O’ the Times
Play in the Sunshine
Little Red Corvette
Erotic City
Housequake
Slow Love
Do Me, Baby
Adore
I Could Never Take the Place of Your Man
What’s Your Name Jam
Let’s Pretend We’re Married
Delirious
Jack U Off
Drum Solo
Twelve
Hot Thing
If I Was Your Girlfriend
Let’s Go Crazy
When Doves Cry
Purple Rain
U Got the Look
It’s Gonna Be a Beautiful Night Medley (featuring Miles Davis)

twonabomber
07-08-2020, 10:58 PM
I may have posted this, I don't remember. This is the complete Dream Factory disc. It has become one of my favorite bootlegs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rDEGmQJCso

Seshmeister
07-09-2020, 11:24 PM
For me the key point in the interview was when she said that the key factor in whether Prince released it or not came down to the lyrics.

You have to think if anyone in the world knows what she is talking about on this it is her. For me a good lyric adds 5% maybe 10% at best so it's made me think that this archive may be better than I thought.

twonabomber
07-09-2020, 11:52 PM
YouTube channel The Violet Reality has a lot of interviews with people associated with Prince and a lot of "facts you didn't know" videos about Prince albums.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWntpTu9fdjAL655NCSt7RA

twonabomber
07-10-2020, 01:34 AM
Another Susan Rogers interview

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvvvdrDQ8nU

twonabomber
08-04-2020, 01:19 PM
"Sesh's Aftershow" is on YouTube

I don't remember which car I left the CD in :D but I wrote "Sesh's Aftershow" and the date on it in black Sharpie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vea9YnslnpM

Seshmeister
08-06-2020, 06:09 PM
A mixing desk recording was made that night, i was standing nearby and saw the CD rushed away with security before the lights had even come up.

Seshmeister
08-06-2020, 06:11 PM
There was a great show on the BBC the other week to commemorate Sign Of The Times I'm not sure you will be able to get it in the US without using a proxy but here is the link.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000l8wy

Prince’s Sign o’ the Times at 33 1/3
Mary Anne Hobbs

Our 33 1/3 celebrations explore iconic albums when they turn 33 and 1/3 years old, which also happens to be the speed that vinyl albums are played at.

Sign O’ The Times was released on the 30th March 1987 by Paisley Park Records and Warner Bros. It followed Parade, Prince’s final recording with The Revolution, and the commercial breakthroughs, 1999 (released in 1982) and Purple Rain (1984). Rolling Stone described it as ‘tough and inventive and exuberantly experimental’ while the New York Times said that ‘virtually all by himself’ Prince was ‘more versatile, more eclectic than ever.’

Across the show we’ll hear from Susan Rogers, who was right at the heart of the album's creation, and Duane Tudahl, senior researcher for the Prince Estate Archives, who knows many of the stories from behind the scenes. We will reflect on the incredible influence of the record across all four sides of the vinyl which embraces funk, pop, rock, gospel, dance music, slow jams and more and hear from some of the musicians who’ve been inspired by Prince.

In part shaped by the reception to his previous two projects, 1986’s Parade and the film Under The Cherry Moon, the stories surrounding Sign O The Times include smashed guitars, the dissolution of The Revolution, record label battles and happy accidents in the studio with engineer Susan Rogers.

Nickdfresh
08-07-2020, 07:36 PM
Works!

Funkmonkey
08-08-2020, 11:32 PM
I'm not Lindbergh's biggest fan and yeah, maybe he shouldn't have an international airport named after him. But I think the Nazi thing is a bit of overreach even give his eugenics bullshit. He actually flew combat missions as a civilian in WWII (against the Japanese) shooting down maybe two Jap fighters, more importantly he helped improve certain USAAF fighters like the P-38...

He was a flawed human being and a product of his time...

http://www.charleslindbergh.com/wwii/ He flew some combat missions and most importantly was a consultant that improved many of the fighter craft the US was using.

FORD
04-14-2021, 12:13 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lN0Lw8NebDI

FORD
04-14-2021, 12:24 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DO0VPhnf2U

FORD
04-14-2021, 12:31 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJtxSdTL488

twonabomber
04-17-2021, 06:01 AM
I've said it before...some of the stuff should be left in the vault. There are plenty of bootleg collections (The Work series comes to mind) that have things on them that I'd only heard of. Then I listen and think yeah, I see why Prince didn't put that out. Some of it is unfinished, and some is just not that good. It shows that he was always working, always creating, but after further review it should have been left alone.

Kristy
04-17-2021, 11:51 PM
What I like to know is: WHERE ARE ARE THE GOD DAMN MOTHERFUCKING REISSUES OF AROUND THE WORLD IN A DAY, PARADE, LOVE SEXY, & GRAFFITI BRIDGE!?!? I'm not too concerned seeing Sign O' The Slimes fucking sucked in the "remastering" process. His vault shit, I could give a flying rat fuck monkey fuck about.

twonabomber
04-18-2021, 09:35 AM
Graffiti Bridge is better off without a reissue...the album is far better than the movie.

Guy on YT thinks a Diamonds and Pearls super deluxe should be next.

Seshmeister
04-18-2021, 08:29 PM
Would that not just be endless versions of that stuff on the second side after Gett Off I never listen to? :)

Kristy
04-20-2021, 12:38 PM
Don't care. Just release Around The World In A Day and I'll be happy.

twonabomber
05-11-2021, 02:07 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5iYyBxUislE

Kristy
05-11-2021, 01:11 PM
That was kind of ghey.

Kristy
05-21-2021, 01:25 PM
Just what in the FUCK is this? All that talent wasted on a Schelppy song

https://youtu.be/sMVFYGYr76A

Kristy
08-21-2021, 04:46 PM
I have some good news. This sexist misogynistic motherfucker is still dead

https://youtu.be/LNrAFb3I2js

Seshmeister
08-21-2021, 06:36 PM
I was watching this last night - great sound.

Just a modest 19 piece backing band. :)

Such a fuck up with the encore though - getting a crowd from loving you to booing just by a failure to communicate...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vp1Ze60wJWg

Kristy
08-22-2021, 01:23 AM
Prince was always a pretentious bore.

Kristy
04-21-2022, 02:16 PM
Just letting you all know Prince is still dead.

FORD
04-22-2022, 06:52 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svqYueRzAh0

James Brown had the Apollo. Jimi Hendrix had Monterey Pop. And Prince had Syracuse, New York’s Carrier Dome—the March 30, 1985 Purple Rain Tour stop that was beamed to millions live via satellite and captured for posterity in the Grammy Award-nominated concert film Prince and The Revolution: Live. For the first time, this powerful performance by Prince and The Revolution has been remixed from the original 2” multitrack master reels and the film has been digitally enhanced onto Blu-ray video with selectable stereo, 5.1 surround and Dolby Atmos sound. The new release of Prince and The Revolution: Live will be available June 3, 2022, and marks the first time that the concert will be available on vinyl (as a 3-LP set) and on CD (as a 2-CD/Blu-ray set) as well as a limited run Collector's Edition available exclusively from the official Prince Store. Housed in a luxe foil box, the set includes the remixed and remastered audio pressed onto 3 colored LPs (purple, red and gold vinyl), 2 CDs, the Blu-ray video, an expansive 44-page book complete with never-before-seen photos of the Purple Rain Tour, new liner notes highlighting stories and memories from all five members of The Revolution, and a 24 x 36 poster.

Kristy
04-23-2022, 01:01 PM
At the record company meeting
On their hands - a dead star
And oh, the plans they weave
And oh, the sickening greed
At the record company party

On their hands - a dead star
The sycophantic slags all say :
"I knew him first, and I knew him well"
Re-issue! Re-package! Re-package!
Re-evaluate the songs
Double-pack with a photograph

Extra track (and a tacky badge)
A-list, playlist
"Please them , please them !"
"Please them !"
(sadly, this was your life)

Nitro Express
04-24-2022, 04:09 AM
He was a talented little weirdo. 1999 came and went. We’re still here.

twonabomber
04-24-2022, 11:24 AM
I blame the estate for these reissues. The record company is just a willing and necessary accomplice.

twonabomber
04-24-2022, 11:26 AM
Just letting you all know Prince is still dead.

Off the fentanyl, too!

Kristy
04-24-2022, 12:24 PM
I blame the estate for these reissues. The record company is just a willing and necessary accomplice.

I've noticed his 80's catalog has been reissued on Prince's "NPG" (New Power Generation) label like Around the World, Lovesexy, Parade, Graffiti Bridge. They are going for cheap, too @$9 - $10 on CD. Not much in the way of packaging mainly lyric sheets and production credits. No b-sides, remixes or vault tracks on these. The remastering (from what I can tell) is crisper than the originals and they are not brickwalled to death so they are bearable to listen to. Around The World in a Day is not as good as I remember it.

twonabomber
04-24-2022, 12:57 PM
I think people got turned off by Around The World In A Day because it wasn't Purple Rain. Prince even said in an interview he could have just done the Let's Go Crazy solo in a different key and put it on there but he wanted to do something different. Then you get to Parade and it's stripped down and different too.

Seshmeister
04-24-2022, 09:26 PM

Free money.

I don't think his legacy will be badly affected if if some of the tracks released aren't great given people will overlook a bit of child raping if your main catalogue is good enough...

twonabomber
04-24-2022, 11:17 PM
I'd buy a Cloud guitar if the estate decides to do another run.

Nitro Express
04-25-2022, 04:23 AM

You will have to wear purple ladies clothes when you play it.

Nitro Express
04-25-2022, 04:30 AM
I have some good news. This sexist misogynistic motherfucker is still dead

https://youtu.be/LNrAFb3I2js

He was an asshole. One less jerk on the face of the earth.

Seshmeister
04-25-2022, 10:40 AM

More like a whale penis than a cloud. :)

https://847542.smushcdn.com/1791561/wp-content/uploads/2021/09/Blue-Whale-Penis.jpeg?lossy=1&strip=1&webp=1

twonabomber
10-31-2022, 02:34 AM
Prince's engineer Susan Rogers at Sunset Sound

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Iv__walYL4

silverfish
05-07-2023, 06:17 AM
Prince Will Have Major Minnesota Highway Stretch Named For Him

The roadway runs past his former Paisley Park headquarters and winds through the Minneapolis
suburbs of Chanhassen and Eden Prairie. It will be called the Prince Rogers Nelson Memorial
Highway and the signs marking the road’s name will be purple.

Full story at:
https://deadline.com/2023/05/prince-will-have-major-minnesota-highway-stretch-named-for-him-1235356969/

twonabomber
08-24-2023, 12:24 PM
Diamonds And Pearls gets the expanded reissue treatment. Out October 27.

https://ultimateclassicrock.com/princes-diamonds-and-pearls-box-set/

Seshmeister
08-24-2023, 07:16 PM
I used to listen to this album a lot back in the day. I would guess a lot of the 40+ new tracks are like the rap songs towards the end of the album which I used to skip.

twonabomber
08-24-2023, 10:50 PM
Tony M and the "Game Boyz" that backed Prince up onstage were super dorky. NPG as a band, though, really good. Michael Bland played with Paul Westerberg on one of his solo tours.

Rikk
08-25-2023, 12:40 AM
I've bought every deluxe reissue they've done so far. SIGN, 1999 and PURPLE RAIN were all very impressive. But DIAMONDS AND PEARLS was not one of my favorite albums originally (my wife likes it a lot, though). I'll still probably get it.

Be pretty cool to hear the live/unreleased SEXY MF, though. I actually preferred the 1992 SYMPBOL album.

I was kinda hoping the next one was going to be based on the AROUND THE WORLD/PARADE sessions.

twonabomber
08-25-2023, 01:00 AM
There are two books by Duane Tudahl that cover the Purple Rain sessions (first book) and then the Parade and SOTT sessions. Tudahl includes as many notes as he can and they even go into the side project sessions. Plenty of quotes and comments from the Revolution, Appollonia, Sheila E, members of the Time, etc. I guess he's working on another book.

Rikk
08-25-2023, 03:47 AM
There are two books by Duane Tudahl that cover the Purple Rain sessions (first book) and then the Parade and SOTT sessions. Tudahl includes as many notes as he can and they even go into the side project sessions. Plenty of quotes and comments from the Revolution, Appollonia, Sheila E, members of the Time, etc. I guess he's working on another book.

I got the PURPLE RAIN book he did. It's pretty stunning. (Reminds me a bit of Mark Lewisohn's amazing Beatles books, like his THE COMPLETE BEATLES RECORDING SESSIONS book.)

It would be amazing to have such a book for VH...though I bet the tape archive in 5150 is a mess. I bet half of those session tapes don't even have dates or logs.

The Prince estate, in my humble opinion, has shown how to treat an artist's legacy. Serious fans can accept that some of the things that are in the Vault discs in the box sets aren't polished songs or necessarily WHEN DOVES CRY-caliber material. When you love an artist, you are happy to listen to the good, the bad and the ugly.

When Prince died, the one consolation prize we got was being able to finally start hearing (and seeing) all the great stuff in his vault. I was hoping something similar would happen after Eddie died. But I forgot that we're dealing with the band that literally hates their fans.

twonabomber
08-25-2023, 10:11 AM
It would be amazing to have such a book for VH...though I bet the tape archive in 5150 is a mess. I bet half of those session tapes don't even have dates or logs.

A book about the early stuff might not be too hard to put together. Sunset Sound has supposedly kept all the work orders and some of the engineers are still around. Who knows what is in 5150 and if Landee would be willing to talk about it.

Rikk
08-25-2023, 12:29 PM
A book about the early stuff might not be too hard to put together. Sunset Sound has supposedly kept all the work orders and some of the engineers are still around. Who knows what is in 5150 and if Landee would be willing to talk about it.

Yup. If you even just watch the Sunset Sound web series on YouTube, they go over dates, times and even play bits of session tapes (even with pics, when available). They used those log sheets to construct the 4-CD box set of unreleased Dave material (that we'll probably never hear).

But 5150 is a different matter.

Donn Landee apparently came back into the VH fold to remaster the Sammy catalog. I'm not sure if he's the one who did the 2015 remasters of the Dave catalog...but whoever did, it was actually stunning. I wasn't even going to buy them at first until I recently heard something off the FAIR WARNING 2015 remaster and it sounded amazing. Much better than the 2000 remasters.

That said, Donn Landee last worked with Eddie in 1988 for OU812. I bet even he wouldn't be able to make heads or tails of the stacks of session tapes Eddie left in his home studio. I can't be sure, but I bet they're not logged.

I was reading ERUPTION, a recent book of Eddie interviews I got. In one section, Eddie is interviewed in 2004 (talking about the pathetic 2004 reunion with Shammy). He says he literally gave Sammy CD mixes of the instrumental tapes of dozens and dozens of songs he'd been stockpiling. Sammy apparently went through some of those, picked three songs...and they were off.

They COULD make a new album that way...even today. They could take a bunch of those, have Dave pick good ones...and have Dave sing over them. (Of course, Eddie mentioned that final lead guitar work was NOT done for those.)

Rikk
08-25-2023, 12:30 PM
I bet Prince's archive was more interesting, though.

He would record AND finish dozens and dozens of songs every year. And he COULD. He played all the instruments and put finished vocals on most of his outtakes. They weren't just jams or instrumentals.

Kristy
08-25-2023, 05:44 PM
Prince is still dead, right?

Seshmeister
08-25-2023, 08:21 PM
Tony M and the "Game Boyz" that backed Prince up onstage were super dorky. NPG as a band, though, really good. Michael Bland played with Paul Westerberg on one of his solo tours.

I met Tony M and a couple of the others in 2019. He was friendly and not a dick.

Kristy
09-16-2023, 09:55 AM
Hey, how you all doing this morning? Latest news on Prince is that he's still dead.

Details are not expected to change any time soon.

Kristy
01-08-2024, 11:18 AM
In the shameless "let's make a buck off the dead department" it's seems Prince's corpse is finally going to be a Broadway star:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/lifestyle/arts/princes-purple-rain-stage-production-1235781333/