PDA

View Full Version : You know, I've been thinking 'bout this...

Firebrand
07-05-2004, 11:22 PM
The more I hear of the latest news with Eddie (and see of him), the more the situation between him and DLR makes sense...and the saddest thing about it is, there ain't a dang thing neither one of them can do about it - at least not in the short term.

Think about this now:

Even after fighting alcoholism for years, even after fighting (and losing, to a degree) a battle with cancer brought on by smoking, what is Ed doing today? Drinking and smoking. Almost hellbent on self-destruction.

He's mastered an instrument, says he doesn't want to be a retread, but all anyone wants to hear from him is his "old" stuff. His drinking and lack of self-discipline has cost him a marriage to what is obviously a very pretty and talented woman. You've got a guy here who, at his core, is just unhappy - the classic tortured artist, as it were.

Then you have Dave. Bopping along, happy as a pig in slop with any situation that comes along. It doesn't matter what pile of chicken crap is slung his way, he smiles all the while making chicken salad.

Think back to '96. What all was happening then? Obviously, Eddie was fighting health problems we didn't know about at the time. Probably in the sauce, or fighting it - he's been rehabbed how many times now? Add to it the marriage problems none of us knew about...and the fact that he and David Lee had locked horns innumerable times about Valerie in the past (she hated DLR, for what its worth).

DLR represents everything Eddie isn't. Eddie might have the musical goods, sure, but DLR just finds a way to keep a smile on and be happy. I can see where every time Ed sees DLR, he is reminded of the fact that regardless of what he does, how many records he sells, how many tours he does without him, he'll never be able to find that inner lucidity Dave has had all along - and continues to have. That fact has to eat away at him, piss him off each and every time. It truly has become a case of the tortured and the alleged "torturer," fair or not.

And that, my friends, is why we'll never see the two of them on stage together - unless something major league changes in EVH's heart and/or soul.

Right or wrong? You tell me.

horty07
07-05-2004, 11:28 PM
Absolutly right, good insight.

pkolb
07-05-2004, 11:43 PM
I wish you were wrong, but I think you are right. One of the things I admire most about Dave is his carefree attitude. One of the things I hate most about Ed is his self-pity and the way he takes himself so damn seriosuly. It's rock and roll, for chrissake. We're supposed to be having a good time! I do, however, cling to the hope that Eddie will finally be embarassed enough by Sammy's horrible whine and come to his senses. If Ed saw the Boston Pops thing, he must be looking at Sammy every night and realizing just how pathetic the guy really is. He must! Has alcohol really fucked Ed's mind that badly?

Bill Lumbergh
07-06-2004, 01:07 AM
Just look at the faces and demeanor's of Van Hagar in all the interviews bashing Dave over the past 19 years..........they are dead serious, and look like they are ready to kill Dave. Look at Dave's attitude in the same period of time when discussing Van Hagar.........happy as a motherfucking clam as always. Dave's gonna die a happy fulfilled man.....can you say the same about Ed, based on what we know? As always the King wins.........

Big Train
07-06-2004, 03:50 AM
What's needed here is a heart to heart between the two of them. They obviously started out with the same goals (no matter who says what) and both were certainly unhappy when the split happened (no matter who says what). The tough guy talk and hating is easy to do. I don't really so many miles of disconnect between them.

Nobody was an angel , it is rock n' roll. I often wonder if the fans and the media who just WILL NOT let it go and constantly force reunion and current thoughts on each other which create false impressions about each other. They all live in a bubble. Someone, if not a LOT of people had to say to Eddie "Yea, this Up for Breakfast, gonna be HUGE..."

Perhaps a week on an island, the four of them would be in order. If they were alive at the end of it, then you could have a new beginning....Maybe....

MAX
07-06-2004, 03:58 AM
Hey Big Train,

Nice posts and welcome bro. :D

Panamark
07-06-2004, 04:40 AM
The only bit I cant agree with is Val hating DLR. I remember her being quite public about wanting the reunion to happen...

bru87tr
07-06-2004, 09:05 AM
the only problem is Dave has the drive that sam will never have. sam rides the boat, Dave drives it!

plain and simple Dave is a natural born leader!!!!!! he has huge drive and always wants to top his best.... why do you think he wants to be with VH again ? cause there is magic there, hell even Aerosmith couldnt deny it and got back together. those guys sound better than ever and there new cd is classic Aerosmith!

sam is along for the ride and doesnt lead that band. its not a fluke that every album with dave turned classic. he knew what direction that band needed. problem is some people grow up and try and be a leader but truth is you cant just be a leader one day. it come natural and true leaders dont have to try hard at it.

if ed took a good look at the past he would see who has the vision for this band from the start and if it were not for dave ed knows VH would not be considered the classic band it was in the past! but for some reason ed cant come to grips with being a follower and letting a true leader take charge.

between alex ed and dave there are just too many chiefs and you know what that means.

ROTHandRoll
07-06-2004, 10:18 AM
Yeah, I agree w/ you all. Ed's idea of songwriting since dave left has put him in the corner he is in today. His tone sucks (and evryone is too afraid to tell him so)--------what happened to the "Brown Sound"? and his music has become eclectic/eccentric at best. i.e. he doesn't know how to rock any more. Add all the gimmicks like the overuse of the sustainer to mask lack of creativity and there you go.

When I think of the current Ed, I think of Syd Barret of Pink Floyd. By the end of the tour I see Ed standing in front of the half-filled audience comotose, not playing the guitar he has strapped on for 2 hours. Sad what his life has become. Dave would be the answer, but Ed is surrounded by shitty people, and thus is shit himself because of that.

Hollywood Jesus
07-06-2004, 10:49 AM
I think Dave is just as hard on himself as Ed is on himself.

However, Dave allows himself a break at 5:00pm--he doesn't take his work home or to the titty bar. I'm a lot like that--maybe it's a Libra thing. I feel bad that Ed hasn't harnassed his demons to the point Dave seems to have.

Truth is a lot of water has passed under the bridge since Dave and Ed toured together. Alex suggested that the 2000 "reunion" dissolved from creative differences. Ed suggested that it was the lawyers not getting everything sorted. Nobody really suggested that they couldn't get along.

No matter the reasons, truth is that Sammy was the second choice for the current tour. And Dave's doing just fine (probably better), Thanks.

RogueHorseman
07-06-2004, 10:54 AM
Excellent thread... great posts and insight all the way through, starting with Firebrand (where do you live in GA, btw?).

For what its worth, I have always had a sense that eventually Edward would have an awakening and come to his senses.

Like most, I thought 1996 was that time. And, you know, perhaps it was but the other forces (Alex, in particular) killed it.

No doubt, the tortured artist effect is deep rooted in Edward, but, usually for someone like him to make a true turnaround it means hitting rock bottom first.

Terry
07-06-2004, 05:13 PM
Ed's just as much a commodity as an artist.

Lacks business sense, and common sense, as to what version of Van Halen will bring the most revenue in.

Instrumentally speaking, became stagnant as a guitarist years ago. Stopped growing as a player in the mid 80s.

Think Dave saying Ed hasn't enjoyed 5 minutes of his success pretty much sums it up.

Firebrand
07-06-2004, 07:57 PM
...the guy is so obsessed with being one-upped that he is driving himself into the grave...so meticulous in how everything must be that he can't just let things flow as nature intended.

I swear, I really, really believe that deep down in his heart, Eddie doesn't want DLR on the same stage as him because he doesn't want any competition for all the eyes in the arena...think of it...right now, who is the ONLY one getting the "thunderous" applause? Eddie.

Add DLR to the mix? That changes, big time.

But, the sad thing is that it would change to BOTH of their benefit. Damn I hate vanity. (hey, Vanity Halen?? Has a ring to it!)

Really though, it's sad. What everyone KNOWS needs to happen isn't because the one person who could make it happen refuses to give an inch.

DLR_EngineRoom
07-06-2004, 08:38 PM
Originally posted by Firebrand
The more I hear of the latest news with Eddie (and see of him), the more the situation between him and DLR makes sense...and the saddest thing about it is, there ain't a dang thing neither one of them can do about it - at least not in the short term.

Think about this now:

Even after fighting alcoholism for years, even after fighting (and losing, to a degree) a battle with cancer brought on by smoking, what is Ed doing today? Drinking and smoking. Almost hellbent on self-destruction.

He's mastered an instrument, says he doesn't want to be a retread, but all anyone wants to hear from him is his "old" stuff. His drinking and lack of self-discipline has cost him a marriage to what is obviously a very pretty and talented woman. You've got a guy here who, at his core, is just unhappy - the classic tortured artist, as it were.

Then you have Dave. Bopping along, happy as a pig in slop with any situation that comes along. It doesn't matter what pile of chicken crap is slung his way, he smiles all the while making chicken salad.

Think back to '96. What all was happening then? Obviously, Eddie was fighting health problems we didn't know about at the time. Probably in the sauce, or fighting it - he's been rehabbed how many times now? Add to it the marriage problems none of us knew about...and the fact that he and David Lee had locked horns innumerable times about Valerie in the past (she hated DLR, for what its worth).

DLR represents everything Eddie isn't. Eddie might have the musical goods, sure, but DLR just finds a way to keep a smile on and be happy. I can see where every time Ed sees DLR, he is reminded of the fact that regardless of what he does, how many records he sells, how many tours he does without him, he'll never be able to find that inner lucidity Dave has had all along - and continues to have. That fact has to eat away at him, piss him off each and every time. It truly has become a case of the tortured and the alleged "torturer," fair or not.

And that, my friends, is why we'll never see the two of them on stage together - unless something major league changes in EVH's heart and/or soul.

Right or wrong? You tell me.

RIGHT EXACTLY.....Roth fans choose Happiness, Positive Outlook, Appreciation and all out laughter... Van Hagar sheep choose hostility, anger, resentment and jealousy.