PDA

View Full Version : Dominik Hasek signs with the Senators?

POJO_Risin
07-06-2004, 03:09 PM
Okay...the dump Lalime...and sign Hasek...three years ago...brilliant...but does a 39 year old have enough in the tank?

I say no...

they best have a good backup...

and...I'm surprise there's this much moving in the offseason with a 98% chance of a lockout....maybe they know something we don't...

courtesy of Fox....

Dominik Hasek signed with the Ottawa Senators, who hope the 39-year-old goaltender can return to the form that made him one of the NHL's greats.

The Senators announced the signing of a multiyear contract Tuesday, ending weeks of speculation. They received permission from Detroit to speak with Hasek even before the Czech star became an unrestricted free agent last Thursday.
NHL free agency

"Ottawa was my first choice and I was very excited when my agent called back and said they were very interested in me," Hasek said at a news conference. "And today I'm here."

It's no surprise that Hasek liked the situation in Ottawa, given the Senators' talented roster and his relationship with general manager John Muckler, who was the GM for five seasons in Buffalo when Hasek was at the peak of his career.

"I know this is a very good team and I believe with my help this team can win and that's why I made the choice to become an Ottawa Senator," Hasek said.

The Senators welcomed Hasek by having Jason Spezza give up his No. 39 to the goalie. Spezza will now wear No. 19.

It became clear the Senators were very interested in Hasek when they traded goalie Patrick Lalime to the St. Louis Blues during the NHL entry draft on June 27.

Hasek is a two-time league MVP and won six Vezina Trophies, given to the league's best goaltender, in nine years with the Sabres. He also led the Czech Republic to the gold medal in the 1998 Nagano Olympics.

He joined the Red Wings in July 2001, winning his first Stanley Cup 11 months later and then retiring.

If there's an NHL season, Dominik Hasek will be in Ottawa. (Ronald Martinez / GettyImages)

He ended his one year-retirement last season, but he played in just 14 games - going 8-3-2 with a 2.21 goals against average and a .907 save percentage - with Detroit before a chronic groin injury ended his year. He had groin surgery this spring to fix the problem.

"It was disappointing last year but at the same time, I know I can still play," Hasek said. "I know I'll be coming back and be in better shape than I was last year."

The Red Wings told Hasek they weren't interested in having him back, deciding to stick with Curtis Joseph and Manny Legace.

Meanwhile, Muckler needed to make a change in goal after Lalime played poorly in Ottawa's first-round playoff loss to rival Toronto this spring.

Muckler met with Hasek over a month ago to discuss the possibility of the goalie signing with Ottawa.

"The excitement on his face, it convinced me that this was the right way to go," Muckler said.

ALinChainz
07-06-2004, 03:21 PM
He was excited last season to with the Wings until the groin blew.

At 39, and the threat of a lockout, I don't see it.

Wonder why St Louis re-upped with Osgood.

POJO_Risin
07-06-2004, 03:34 PM
There is a lot of shit happening in the NHL that makes no freakin' sense...

I'm surprised the NHL didn't try some sort of freeze...these guys that are signing may be making good moves...who knows what kind of concessions they may have to make after a new deal is done...

ALinChainz
07-06-2004, 03:40 PM
Seems like the company line at the moment for most teams is , "this is a move we would have made, no matter the salary structure."

In my opinion, no way is there NOT a lockout.

I don't get it either.

Mezro
07-06-2004, 03:58 PM
Hasek just pulled a fast one on the Sens.

He has no more passion for the game and is only collecting extra coin on his way to retirement.

Mezro...the Sens are heading for the basement..LETS GO FLYERS

Va Beach VH Fan
07-06-2004, 07:19 PM
Yeah, it's almost like the guy is turning injury-prone....

Played only 14 games last year because of a groin injury ???

ALinChainz
07-06-2004, 07:44 PM
I think now maybe giving back a lot of his salary was just that, copping out.

he didn't have to do it, but there were lots of questions about his desire to rehab the injury and come back.

Didn't help the Wings none.

TLR
07-06-2004, 10:46 PM
To hell with this clown. He bailed on my Sabres.

Hecubus
07-15-2004, 12:46 AM
Originally posted by Mezro
Hasek just pulled a fast one on the Sens.

He has no more passion for the game and is only collecting extra coin on his way to retirement.

Agreed.

He's a done dealio.

Snoo
07-16-2004, 12:10 AM
His passion was never constant anyway. He fucked over Ted Nolan, and among other things, in the 2001 playoffs when the Sabres were up 3-2 on the Penguins, the series was over. Absolutely over. Then with a minute left and Buffalo up 2-1, Kovalev gets the puck and just nonchalantly lofts it up in the air over the net. Somehow Lemieux finds it, and since Hasek is just standing there with his mouth open, Mario slams it home. I know Mario is capable of damn near anything, but Hasek wasn't even trying. Then he lets Darius Kasparaitis of all people score the winning goal in overtime of game 7? I love Kaspar, but come on. Hasek obviously gave up for some unknown reason after game five.

Lou
07-17-2004, 09:09 AM
Will he bring them to glory? Well not next year as there won't be a season.

BTW, I'm looking forward to the inevitable thread that says "NHL Lockout" or something that will have a sad icon next to it in the thread title, and will have a hundred replies :D

Va Beach VH Fan
07-17-2004, 09:30 AM
I won't disagree with you Lou on that one, but I think it won't be as long as most people think...

I'm thinking until January at the latest...