PDA

View Full Version : I just finished reading Van Halen Rising

Nitro Express
01-26-2017, 12:54 AM
If you are a Van Halen junkie this is a book that covers some details you probably didn't read anywhere else since the author of the book did extensive interviews with people who knew the guys in Van Halen. He really put a lot of work into getting some first hand information and did a good job putting it all down into a book. Dave was a straight laced kid under his strict Jewish mom but when his parents divorced and Dave's mom was no longer hovering over him he broke loose and became Diamond Dave. Eddie was not much of a party animal in high school. His friends said basically all the guy did was play guitar so no wonder Eddie got so good at it. Interesting insights like this fill the book.

Seshmeister
08-03-2017, 08:32 PM
I finally finished it tonight after skim reading the book for the interview with the author we did on here, I finally went back and also bought the audio version and listened to it in full.

It's a great book and a perfect companion to the Noel Monk book since it is more concerned with the events prior to him becoming involved.

Here's a link to the interview we did which also allowed people to read and post questions live.

http://www.rotharmy.com/forums/content.php?156-Transcript-Of-Live-Chat-With-Author-of-Van-Halen-Rising-Greg-Renoff

Now I want to go back and ask Greg another couple of questions in light of the Noel Monk book that may have been even more interesting than my question about sun cream. :)

It actually worked really well we should do another one but it does rely on the interviewee being able to type at reasonable speed.

hain23x
08-12-2017, 11:02 PM
Would love to see this book as a Netflix original series

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VAiN
08-13-2017, 04:12 PM
Would love to see this book as a Netflix original series

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You & me both! Mostly because I want my art to be on TV.

twonabomber
08-13-2017, 04:46 PM
Amazon would be okay. They did a good job on the Hefner bio series.

Nitro Express
08-17-2017, 12:01 PM
Noel Monk has to do an audio version of his book. Noel's voice cracks me up. It's like grandpa telling stories of when he managed Van Halen.