PDA

View Full Version : Daves musical direction.....

Icepickeo
07-07-2004, 05:50 PM
I have been a Van Halen fan since 1980 and have seen them on every tour since 81 except VHIII like most VH fans had enough BS. With the exception of Eat'em and Smile, I never understood why Dave got away from his core listeners with some of his song choices on his solo stuff.Though I think he has been given an unfair rap and feel if his name was not on albums like filthy little mouth and Diamond Dave he may have had some hits. I loved 98'S DLR Band and wish he had stuck to that style after the Dave and Sam tour wich I saw in Tampa. Dave was great.
Just wanted to know how other Dave fans felt about his musical direction?

Lose the dress, keep the shoes............

Big Train
07-07-2004, 09:12 PM
I liked Filthy Little Mouth lyrically (obviously, considering my name). I think he did some experiements he needed to do musically. Same with DLR band and even "Shoo Bop" was pretty good to me (Loved that video). I think they are all part of who he is. I think the real issue is the lack of cohesion. You could distill all of those records down to one really good one. As he is colloborating with some many different people on these projects you end up with a real mixed bag and some tunes that should have never seen the light of day. Much like Eddie needing someone cool to write lyrics and sing for him, Dave needs someone who knows how to write cool songs and parts.

Essar1
07-07-2004, 10:47 PM
That's ultimately what I like about Dave - he's a musical chameleon and likes to take chances. The easiest route would be to go the hard rock route everytime...like the '98 record (man oh man, is "Relentless" the shit or what?!?), he could of gone the EEAS or similar route everytime.

Heck, look at the classic VH albums, stylistically, compared to the Sammy era. Dave's melting-pot of influences put the roll with that rock, knowwhatimeanbro?

scottydabodi
07-08-2004, 03:25 PM
Dave's musical direction is, well, quite varied, which, whether he failed or succeeded, deserves RESPECT. Dave was the JAZZ flair in VanHalen, whether Jan played Clairinet or not. Dave sang BigBandSwing style into massive killer Ed-riffs. Since VH, he has done TONS of different styles, whether Roy respects him as an Artist or not, which is a lot more than I can say for Spam and the Sisters... All the styles of music VanHagar have covered is Pussy Ballads, and Tender Moments... fuck them. Dave's direction takes him to his musical boundaries, and influences, where VanHagar takes them straight to the shitter.

Icepickeo
07-08-2004, 05:09 PM
2 of my favorite tunes from "Filthy" are Your Breath'en It and Sunburn. After a day at the beach and a couple of shots my girl like to bang to that one.Thanks Dave...............

dave_is_vh
07-08-2004, 05:32 PM
I want "A Lil' Ain't Enough Part II"!

dave_is_vh
07-08-2004, 05:33 PM
Or how about "Skyscraper Part II".

rustoffa
07-08-2004, 08:52 PM
Something similair to Grohl's "Probot" project, changing the musicians
instead of singers though.

BITEYOASS
07-09-2004, 12:00 AM