• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • FORD
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Cheeto Holds Public Meeting On Immigration To Prove He's Stable

chicagotribune.com
    Trump tries to deal, prove mental stability at televised immigration meeting
    Ashley Parker and Philip Rucker

He acted the part, listening intently and guiding the conversation with the control of a firm but open-minded executive. He spoke the part, offering a mix of jesting bon mots and high-minded appeals for bipartisanship. And he looked the part, down to the embroidered "45" on his starched white shirt cuff.

In short, President Donald Trump on Tuesday tried to show that he could do his job.

With his afternoon immigration meeting with lawmakers - into which he invited the press corps to watch for nearly an hour - Trump sought to definitively answer the question that has been nagging at him for the past week: Is the 71-year-old mentally fit to be commander in chief?

And for the 55 minutes that the scene unfolded on television, the president demonstrated stability, although not necessarily capability. In trying to erase one set of queries (is he up for the job and a "very stable genius," as he claimed on Twitter?), he inadvertently opened another: What, exactly, is going to be in that immigration bill?

On that, Trump left a cliffhanger.

The former reality television star made the unilateral decision to allow journalists toting cameras and audio recorders into the West Wing's Cabinet Room to watch him talk with lawmakers about one of the most intractable and polarizing issues facing the government - what to do with the nearly 700,000 young undocumented immigrants known as "dreamers." Their work permits are set to expire March 5 because of Trump's decision to revoke President Barack Obama's Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals, or DACA, program.

And while Trump offered captivating television drama, he also muddled through the policy by seeming to endorse divergent positions, including simply protecting the dreamers or a plan contingent upon funding for his long-promised wall at the nation's southern border.

"I think my positions are going to be what the people in this room come up with," Trump said. "I am very much reliant on the people in this room."

So pliant was Trump that when Sen. Dianne Feinstein, D-Calif. asked if he would support "a clean DACA bill" that protects the dreamers with no other conditions, the president sounded amenable.

"Yeah, I would like to do it," Trump said.
    Donald Trump

Trump's apparent concession so alarmed House Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy, R-Calif., that he interjected himself, although he was careful only to gently contradict the president, who in the past has referred to him as "my Kevin."

"Mr. President, you need to be clear, though," McCarthy said, leaning over from his perch to Trump's left. "I think what Senator Feinstein is asking here - when we talk about just DACA, we don't want to be back here two years later. You have to have security."

Later, again attempting to nudge the president back on track to a more conservative plan, Sen. David Perdue, R-Ga., made a similar pitch for precision. "We have to be very clear, though," Perdue urged.

McCarthy apparently was not the only one concerned by Trump's seeming agreement with Feinstein. When the White House released its official transcript Tuesday afternoon, the president's line - "Yeah, I would like to do it" - was missing.

Later, when Trump offered a clarification - "We do a Phase 1, which is DACA and security, and we do Phase 2, which is comprehensive immigration" - a relieved-looking McCarthy all but leaped from his seat, pointing at Trump like a teacher whose promising student, after several false starts, finally has alighted on the correct answer.

Yet the president's plans were so nebulous that as the confab wrapped up, Sen. Mazie Hirono, D-Hawaii, was still pressing for more specifics. "You want $18 billion for a wall, or else there will be no DACA. Is that still your position?" she asked. "And can you tell us how many miles of wall you're contemplating? Whether it's $17 million or $13 million or whatever is - can you tell us?"

Trump staged the meeting as a showcase of his desire to cut a deal with Democrats. He cast himself as a bipartisan statesman, saying he'd had a similar gathering the previous week with only Republican lawmakers and was eager to add Democrats to the mix.

Originally, there was no plan for a photo opportunity, let alone a 55-minute one, a White House official said. Trump's daily schedule listed the meeting as "closed press." The lawmakers also were not expecting any media coverage.

Trump sat at the table's center, between two Democratic leaders who have been outspoken advocates for the dreamers - Senate Minority Whip Dick Durbin, D-Ill., and House Minority Whip Steny Hoyer, D-Md., - and set the tone at the outset by calling for "a bill of love."

The president's bipartisan bonhomie sparked immediate backlash on the political right. On Breitbart News, a conservative website that positions itself as the mouthpiece of Trump's base, coverage of the meeting featured a photo of Trump reaching out to high-five Jeb Bush - the former Florida governor who has been pilloried by the party's grass roots, as well as by Trump, for his support of immigration reform - under a headline that blared "amnesty."

Trump also chose the role of potential martyr. Suggesting that the group tackle broad immigration reform, Trump told the lawmakers, "I'll take all the heat you want to give me, and I'll take the heat off both the Democrats and the Republicans."

"My whole life has been heat," he concluded.

In one of several revealing moments, Sen. Charles Grassley, R-Iowa, a staunch conservative, spoke of helping the "vulnerable" dreamers who had been brought to the United States through "no fault of their own."

Grassley's impassioned plea prompted Hoyer to say of himself and Durbin, "Mr. President, let me just say, I think Dick and I agree with what Charles E. Grassley just said."

Trump was ready with a rejoinder: "When was the last time that happened?" he asked, prompting laughter.

Lawmakers left the meeting encouraged if confounded.

"This was the most fascinating meeting I've been involved with in 20-plus years in politics," Sen. Lindsey Graham, R-S.C., said in a statement.

Before leaving the White House, Durbin told reporters he had enjoyed a "unique meeting" in a "positive sense."

"My head is spinning," the Democrat said.

During the meeting, Trump repeatedly broke the fourth wall to address the fourth estate, acknowledging his real audience beyond the members of Congress.
    Trump suggests 2-phase immigration deal for 'Dreamers'

"I like opening it up to the media because I think they're seeing, more than anything else, that we're all very much on a similar page," Trump said.

Typically, reporters are let in to such meetings for only a few minutes at the beginning. But the president sometimes has remarked afterward to aides that reporters missed the best parts, according to one top White House official.

As he excused the press corps, Trump said: "I hope we've given you enough material. That should cover you for about two weeks."

The president was onto something. The transcript ran more than 11,000 words and left reporters drained - literally.

Ken Thomas, who covers the White House for the Associated Press, said on Twitter that when he entered the meeting, his iPhone was almost fully charged. But by the time he left, after firing off dispatches, his phone was flashing red.

"My battery," he wrote, "was down to 9 percent."
    Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992
  • jacksmar
    Full Member Status

• Feb 2004

Tucker Carlson‏

@TuckerCarlson

Option A: El Salvador isn't a "shithole," so they don't need 17 years of Temporary Protected Status, and migrants from there should be sent home immediately.

Option B: El Salvador is, in fact, a "shithole."
    A NATION OF COWARDS - Jeffrey R. Snyder

Comment

• twonabomber
      formerly F A T
      ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

CNN has "shithole" in the headline on their site. This morning, NBC said "s-hole." I guess with broadcast standards they weren't going to say "shithole."

I love how pissed off everyone is.
      Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

• Nickdfresh
        SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Originally posted by jacksmar
        Tucker Carlson‏

@TuckerCarlson

Option A: El Salvador isn't a "shithole," so they don't need 17 years of Temporary Protected Status, and migrants from there should be sent home immediately.

El Salvador is a "shithole" in no small part because we essentially helped their corrupt top 1% of the country's money bags wipe out large sections of their population during our dirty war....
        Last edited by Nickdfresh; 01-12-2018, 12:30 PM.

Comment

• FORD
          ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• FORD
            ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

thehill.com
            Dem lawmaker: Why do we allow presidents from 'shithole companies' like Trump Org?
            Brett Samuels

Rep. Mark Pocan on Thursday fired back at a report that President Trump questioned why the U.S. accepts immigrants from “shithole” countries by asking “why we allow presidents from shithole companies like the Trump Organization."

The real question is why we allow presidents from shithole companies like the Trump Organization https://t.co/OHD7rLPHwK
            — Rep. Mark Pocan (@repmarkpocan) January 11, 2018
            The Washington Post reported that Trump made the remark during a meeting with other lawmakers to discuss protections for immigrants from Haiti, El Salvador and African countries.

Sens. Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.), Dick Durbin (D-Ill.) and Tom Cotton (R-Ark.) and Rep. Bob Goodlatte (R-Va.) were reportedly present at the meeting and were surprised by the comments, according to the Post.

Trump reportedly suggested in the meeting that the U.S. should instead seek to bring in more immigrants from countries like Norway, whose prime minister he met with Wednesday.

The White House defended Trump’s remarks in a statement and did not deny them.

“Certain Washington politicians choose to fight for foreign countries, but President Trump will always fight for the American people,” White House spokesperson Raj Shah said in a statement.

“President Trump is fighting for permanent solutions that make our country stronger by welcoming those who can contribute to our society, grow our economy and assimilate into our great nation,” the spokesman added.
            Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

Comment

• Seshmeister
              ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

When I heard this story my first thought was 'Why would any Norwegian want to move to the US?'

Google shows some other people have already done the legwork.

Its per capita gross domestic product went from $1,441.80 in 1960 to $70,911.8 now, according to World Bank data. (The U.S. figure is $57,638.20.) Norway has higher life expectancy at birth than the U.S., lower rates of infant mortality, low unemployment, and access to the European Union’s labor market (though it’s not an EU member).

Additionally, Norway is the world’s happiest country (the U.S. ranks 14), the place with the most political freedom (the U.S. ranks 45), most press freedom (the U.S. ranks 43rd), and most prosperity (the U.S. ranks 18). Simply put, there’s little economic incentive for Norwegians to immigrate to the U.S.

That’s true not just of Norway, but of all Western European countries that have become more prosperous over the past several decades. European immigration to the U.S. has fallen dramatically, and the place of European immigrants have been taken by those from Asia, Latin America, and Africa.

Comment

• Terry
                TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                • Jan 2004

Tucker Carlson‏

@TuckerCarlson

Does characterizing El Salvador - or any other country, for that matter - a "shithole" really represent the best of what America has to offer these days?

Let's just say that, indeed, El Salvador has all the conditions which certainly would make it a hellish place to live. I doubt anybody would refute that.

How exactly does having our President refer to that place in that way...how exactly is that helpful in ANY way? Does it help our image abroad?

Honestly, I have a lot of views that would be considered liberal or progressive. Yet I'm for fortification of our southern border, controlling the flow of foreigners into this country, vetting those foreigners who want to come here carefully and thoroughly in terms of making sure we aren't allowing those with violent criminal backgrounds enter our country. I'd even be for applying a means test to those wanting to come here, in terms of asking specific questions about how said prospective immigrants plan to earn a living, where they plan to stay, how they will be able to pay their way outside of government assistance. If non-specific answers are given, I'm for denying them entry into the country.

All that to one side, the president's characterization of the country in question wasn't helpful, and to my mind it's not a useful attitude for a president to have, much less express. It comes off as an attitude a heartless bully would blurt out.

I dunno. Sadly, that President Trump expressed such a view really isn't surprising. What is disheartening to me are the amount of Americans in essence agreeing with him: "Yeah! Fuck El Salvador! It IS a shithole! USA!! USA!! USA!!"

So, as a country we via Trump called out El Salvador for the shithole it is. Wonderful. We really showed El Salvador who the boss is. Is this part of the greatness Trump promised us? If so, why is it I don't feel all that great about it?

America isn't perfect. However, surely we can do better than this.

Can't we?
                Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• FORD
                  ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Cheeto Eats Haitian Babies .... becuz Alex says so!

Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

Comment

• DavidLeeNatra
                    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                    • Jan 2004

I only heard "Trump", "...shithole..." and "country" in the News and was sure they were talking about the United Shitholes of America...

Gesendet von meinem SM-G955F mit Tapatalk
                    Roth Army Icon
                    First official owner of ADKOT (Deluxe Version)

Comment

• ZahZoo
                      ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Terry

Can't we?
                      You summed it up perfectly...

YES! We can do better and the comment POTUS made was not helpful at all.

Trump is neither the first nor last leader to be caught saying something regrettable or cussing it up inappropriately. Much worse has been said from past leaders and it just demonstrates they are human and express themselves less eloquently than desired at times. Given the total volume of bullshit that any leaders these days, in any country have to deal with... I'm surprised how rarely they don't just cut loose with a hearty salty comment.

But it's wise to remember... it's just a comment in poor taste. Not a declaration of war...
                      "If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

Comment

• jacksmar
                        Full Member Status

• Feb 2004

Originally posted by Nickdfresh
                        El Salvador is a "shithole" in no small part because we essentially helped their corrupt top 1% of the country's money bags wipe out large sections of their population during our dirty war....
                        El Salvador was a shithole in 1975 before your Reagan references. Next...

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                          SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

El Salvador was a shithole in 1975 before your Reagan references. Next...
                          So are parts of the US. Some in the nice red states. The Guardian did a series on Alabama and how parts of it are nothing short of third world poverty. Any country where the top 1% controls all the wealth will be a "shithole".

However, the specific references of El Salvador are driven by the notorious MS13 gang - a collection of scum that is a direct outgrowth of the instability and torn social fabric resulting from the civil war there...

Comment

• Seshmeister
                            ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

In other news...

Comment

• jacksmar
                              Full Member Status

• Feb 2004

Originally posted by Terry
                              Does characterizing El Salvador - or any other country, for that matter - a "shithole" really represent the best of what America has to offer these days?

Let's just say that, indeed, El Salvador has all the conditions which certainly would make it a hellish place to live. I doubt anybody would refute that.

How exactly does having our President refer to that place in that way...how exactly is that helpful in ANY way? Does it help our image abroad?

Honestly, I have a lot of views that would be considered liberal or progressive. Yet I'm for fortification of our southern border, controlling the flow of foreigners into this country, vetting those foreigners who want to come here carefully and thoroughly in terms of making sure we aren't allowing those with violent criminal backgrounds enter our country. I'd even be for applying a means test to those wanting to come here, in terms of asking specific questions about how said prospective immigrants plan to earn a living, where they plan to stay, how they will be able to pay their way outside of government assistance. If non-specific answers are given, I'm for denying them entry into the country.

All that to one side, the president's characterization of the country in question wasn't helpful, and to my mind it's not a useful attitude for a president to have, much less express. It comes off as an attitude a heartless bully would blurt out.

I dunno. Sadly, that President Trump expressed such a view really isn't surprising. What is disheartening to me are the amount of Americans in essence agreeing with him: "Yeah! Fuck El Salvador! It IS a shithole! USA!! USA!! USA!!"

So, as a country we via Trump called out El Salvador for the shithole it is. Wonderful. We really showed El Salvador who the boss is. Is this part of the greatness Trump promised us? If so, why is it I don't feel all that great about it?

Can't we?

What you missed is I don't want anymore PC decorum. Trump cut to the core of the debate. We're supposed to be running a nation not the greenroom of the next Harpo sob story episode.

Other countries focus more on trying to attract the best and brightest. When China took over Hong Kong from Britain in 1997, a lot of wealthy Chinese wanted to leave and come to the US. Due to our bs policies they instead went to Canada. Canada gives wealth and education strong preferential treatment. These immigrants from Hong Kong brought an estimated $4.2 billion in wealth with them. Missed that one, didn't hear anyone bitching.

Apparently, most want poorly-educated, unskilled people coming in. There's nothing wrong with wanting well-educated, skilled, and high-income earners coming in either.

Comment

Working...