PDA

View Full Version : Fleetwood Mac Fires Lindsey Buckingham

FORD
04-09-2018, 08:56 PM
rollingstone.com (https://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/fleetwood-mac-fires-lindsey-buckingham-w518925)
Fleetwood Mac Fires Lindsey Buckingham
By Andy Greene
4-09-18

Fleetwood Mac has fired Lindsey Buckingham after a disagreement over the band's upcoming tour, Rolling Stone has confirmed. The band announced Monday that Mike Campbell of Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers and Neil Finn of Crowded House will replace him.

News of Buckingham's departure initially broke when former Fleetwood Mac guitarist Billy Burnette shared an April 4th tweet that has since been deleted, saying: "Breaking news: Lindsey Buckingham is out but I'm not in." Rolling Stone has confirmed Buckingham's departure, though no specific tour dates have been announced.

Fleetwood Mac issued a collective statement about the news, saying: "We are thrilled to welcome the musical talents of the caliber of Mike Campbell and Neil Finn into the Mac family. With Mike and Neil, we’ll be performing all the hits that the fans love, plus we’ll be surprising our audiences with some tracks from our historic catalogue of songs. Fleetwood Mac has always been a creative evolution. We look forward to honoring that spirit on this upcoming tour."

Mick Fleetwood added, "Fleetwood Mac has always been about an amazing collection of songs that are performed with a unique blend of talents ... We jammed with Mike and Neil and the chemistry really worked and let the band realize that this is the right combination to go forward with in Fleetwood Mac style. We know we have something new, yet it’s got the unmistakable Mac sound."

"Two weeks ago, I received a wonderful invitation to be a part of a truly great band," Finn tells Rolling Stone in a statement. "A few days later, I was standing in a room playing music with Fleetwood Mac. It felt fresh and exciting, so many great songs, a spectacular rhythm section and two of the greatest voices ever. Best of all, we sounded good together. It was a natural fit. I can’t wait to play."

Buckingham joined Fleetwood Mac in 1974 along with Stevie Nicks. He wrote and sang many of their most memorable songs, including "Go Your Own Way," "Tusk" and "Second Hand News." He left in 1987 shortly before the Tango in the Night tour (where he was replaced by Billy Burnette) and rejoined in 1996 for The Dance reunion tour. He remained active on the road with them for the next two decades. They last played full sets at Classic East and Classics West in July of last year, through they did play a brief set in January at the pre-Grammy MusiCares concert in their honor. The set ended, fittingly enough, with "Go Your Own Way."

In August of last year, Mick Fleetwood spoke to Rolling Stone about the band's next tour. "I was in Italy recently and met Stevie out there," he said. "She said to me, 'Let's sit down and really listen to some stuff that sort of almost got forgotten.' So I know she's already thinking she wants to do some things we haven't done in years. I always think that Stevie and Lindsey should do a Buckingham Nicks song in the set. And have Christine do a blues song. I hope it certainly won't be the same show as we did before. We always played nearly three hours, and we cut it back a little bit for the wear and tear, but we do over two hours. And when you got three singers, which is, like, three bands, really, to get that perfect set, it's a trip."

FORD
04-09-2018, 09:00 PM
I don't see this working at all. Buckingham is the best songwriter that band ever had. Campbell is probably an appropriate replacement as far as guitar playing goes, but he's neither a singer nor a lyric writer (when he sang a few songs on later Heartbreakers albums, the vocals were like Ronnie Wood on a bad day, and the lyrics were almost Hagar level bad).

Neil Finn is obviously being drafted as a vocalist, but he doesn't seem like a good fit for that band. The last time Buckingham got fired, the band went directly to Hell in a handbasket. And that was BEFORE all the band members were past retirement age.

Terry
04-09-2018, 09:02 PM
Frankly, I'm surprised the band has still been chugging along as long as they have.

I wonder if the disagreement was over money.

Whatever.

Terry
04-09-2018, 09:20 PM
I don't see this working at all. Buckingham is the best songwriter that band ever had. Campbell is probably an appropriate replacement as far as guitar playing goes, but he's neither a singer nor a lyric writer (when he sang a few songs on later Heartbreakers albums, the vocals were like Ronnie Wood on a bad day, and the lyrics were almost Hagar level bad).

Neil Finn is obviously being drafted as a vocalist, but he doesn't seem like a good fit for that band. The last time Buckingham got fired, the band went directly to Hell in a handbasket. And that was BEFORE all the band members were past retirement age.

It doesn't have to work in a songwriting capacity, just a touring/performing capacity. Mostly because I don't see Fleetwood Mac having a prolific future far as songwriting goes: the interest people have in the band these days is seeing them play the hits. And even without Buckingham they have enough members of the Rumors lineup still in the band to make at least the upcoming tour viable.

FORD
04-09-2018, 09:26 PM
With Mike Campbell playing guitar, I'm sure Stevie will probably want to sing "Stop Dragging My Heart Around". But it ain't going to sound the same if Neil Finn is singing Tom's parts. (not that it would sound right if Lindsey was singing that song either)

Terry
04-09-2018, 09:30 PM
I think when Buckingham departed in 1987, there was a far greater stigma over the departure of a key band member than there is today: audiences have become much more used to fractions of lineups touring these days than they were 30 years ago.

Nitro Express
04-10-2018, 02:03 AM
Frankly, I'm surprised the band has still been chugging along as long as they have.

I wonder if the disagreement was over money.

Whatever.

That band is way past it's sell date. Nothing like getting fired 35 years after the band was having hits. It's kind of like firing a legendary quarterback when he is in the nursing home. I guess they really can fire everyone except for Stevie Nicks. They have to have her voice or it ain't going to fly.

Kristy
04-10-2018, 12:44 PM
I don't see this working at all. Buckingham is the best songwriter that band ever had.

http://jamiedornanfan.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/trump-all-last-night-imgflip-1.jpg

More sexism and misogyny from a bernie brat, everybody. Steve Nicks wrote the majority of their hits and then Christine McVie.

And you fuckers complain on why you lose so much.

Nitro Express
04-10-2018, 12:53 PM
Stevie Nicks was the shit. They could replace everyone but her. Anyways the whole thing was some hippie love in that managed to pop out out some catchy songs and amazingly managed to record them while being numbed to the gills with drugs and fighting over who is going to fuck who.

Kristy
04-10-2018, 01:27 PM
Stevie wrote the big hits, not Lindsey. These stupid fucking sexist bernie shits are so stupid

FORD
04-10-2018, 02:08 PM
"Go Your Own Way" wasn't a huge hit? "Don't Stop" wasn't a huge hit (before the Clintons ruined it) "The Chain" wasn't a huge hit??

Nitro Express
04-10-2018, 03:37 PM
Stevie wrote the big hits, not Lindsey. These stupid fucking sexist bernie shits are so stupid

Lindsey played his guitar for Stevie. Got her high and fucked her. The best move he made was being her boyfriend because without her singing and lyrics he would be selling drugs and playing guitar at the dive bar.

Grit
04-10-2018, 04:41 PM
I saw Fleetwood Mac in the early 2000's. Lindsey Buckingham was simply awesome with great guitar and vocals. To each is own but I would not see them without Stevie Nicks or without Lindsey Buckingham in the band.

Terry
04-10-2018, 09:59 PM
Stevie Nicks was the shit. They could replace everyone but her. Anyways the whole thing was some hippie love in that managed to pop out out some catchy songs and amazingly managed to record them while being numbed to the gills with drugs and fighting over who is going to fuck who.

She definitely has the highest iconic charisma factor of the band.

I think both of the McVie's could retire from the road and ticket sales wouldn't be impacted too much.

Long as you still had Mick Fleetwood, Nicks and Buckingham. Maybe you could even go on without Mick Fleetwood.

Without any of the Rumors lineup save for Nicks, at that point you just have Stevie Nicks giving a solo performance. And I'd add there would still be plenty who would go see Stevie Nicks as a solo act. That's not the same as just putting Stevie Nicks out onstage and calling THAT Fleetwood Mac: I don't quite think that would fly.

Nitro Express
04-10-2018, 10:34 PM
I always liked how Mick Fleetwood looked like a crazy man behind the drums. Well these people are old. They got to be around 70. Not everyone has the Rolling Stones genes. Most bands are shot by the time they hit 70. Sammy Hagar is still managing to do shows but that's because God hates us and wants to punish us.

Nickdfresh
04-11-2018, 12:49 AM
Maybe they should call it "Fleetwood Mac Revisited"?

FORD
04-11-2018, 01:54 AM
..or "Crowded Fleetwood Split MacBreakers"?

Etienne
04-11-2018, 11:25 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNM6IuA87eM

‚Go Your Own Way‘ written by Lindsey Buckingham.

Special in the above live version:

Stevie Nicks playing tambourine, singing backup vocals in the choruses and contributing some dance moves.
Lindsey Buckingham singing lead, playing rhythm guitar and contributing an intensive guitar solo.

I’m asking myself how Fleetwood Mac are performing their biggest hit on upcoming tour events.

FORD
04-11-2018, 03:19 PM
It seems like Lindsey got a little bit of the "Mick Taylor" treatment on the studio albums. There's some alternate takes on the "Deluxe" editions of "Fleetwood Mac" (1975), "Rumours", and "Tusk", which have a lot more guitar on them than the original "official releases" do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUwtdjG3g7Y

Kristy
04-11-2018, 06:35 PM
Stevie Nicks wrote the lyrics to 'The Chain' you misogynistic bernie brat.

Kristy
04-11-2018, 06:37 PM
I’m asking myself how Fleetwood Mac are performing their biggest hit on upcoming tour events.

'Dreams' was probably their biggest hit next to 'Landslide' - both penned by Nicks.

FORD
04-11-2018, 08:17 PM
Bullshit.... on both counts.

And as far as the "sexist misogynist" shit goes, you really should talk to Mick Fleetwood & John McVie about that one. Because they initially made the job offer to Lindsey Buckingham ONLY. They didn't want Stevie because they already had Christine, and thought that one "chick" in the band was enough.

Lindsey, to his credit, insisted that he & Stevie were a package deal. You don't get one, unless you get both. And so they did.... and the rest is history.

FORD
04-11-2018, 08:23 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGTpfsClzGE

Terry
04-11-2018, 08:34 PM
I always liked how Mick Fleetwood looked like a crazy man behind the drums. Well these people are old. They got to be around 70. Not everyone has the Rolling Stones genes. Most bands are shot by the time they hit 70. Sammy Hagar is still managing to do shows but that's because God hates us and wants to punish us.

It's just...age, you know?

I mean, doubtless it'd be hard to imagine anyone other than Fleetwood on the drums for a Fleetwood Mac gig.

If he can still cut it live and wants to keep playing, God Bless, you know?

As you say, though, these bands are getting up there. Like, in the case of Mick Fleetwood, it's amazing he's still vertical, much less still able to play.

Nickdfresh
04-11-2018, 10:39 PM
https://vimeo.com/183227100

In better times...

FORD
04-11-2018, 10:57 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ToRIUoXmIw

FORD
04-12-2018, 02:29 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGyCx9WgGV8
Will Lindsey ever go back again?

Nitro Express
04-12-2018, 05:25 AM
It's just...age, you know?

I mean, doubtless it'd be hard to imagine anyone other than Fleetwood on the drums for a Fleetwood Mac gig.

If he can still cut it live and wants to keep playing, God Bless, you know?

As you say, though, these bands are getting up there. Like, in the case of Mick Fleetwood, it's amazing he's still vertical, much less still able to play.

Well Kevin Dugan worked for Fleetwood Mac and said Van Halen were little kids compared to them. He said they did a lot of drugs. So we are talking hard living rock and roll years here. it's amazing they are still alive.

FORD
04-12-2018, 01:53 PM
If you click on that link Nick posted above, they do look pretty coked up in that show. 1982, I think??

Terry
04-12-2018, 06:49 PM
Well Kevin Dugan worked for Fleetwood Mac and said Van Halen were little kids compared to them. He said they did a lot of drugs. So we are talking hard living rock and roll years here. it's amazing they are still alive.

Mick Fleetwood, by his own recounting, had a major cocaine addiction. To the point where by the mid-1980s he basically went into bankruptcy. Nicks had her coke and pill problems as well.

FORD
04-13-2018, 02:19 PM
Stevie Nicks wrote the lyrics to 'The Chain' you misogynistic bernie brat.

Not really. She wrote the title. And the chorus was mostly hers, but the rest of her original lyrics went unused.

Of course it wasn't a sole Buckingham composition either. It was actually a mashup of three different songs, with Stevie's original demo, Lindsey's guitar part recycled from a song on the 1973 Buckingham/Nicks album, and the "iconic" bass line & ending cannibalized from a Christine McVie song "Keep Me There" which was recorded for Rumours, but didn't make it to the album. So end result is that all 5 band members got a writing credit for the song (though I'm not sure what Mick Fleetwood actually wrote for it).

But Lindsey is the one who assembled all the pieces like a jigsaw puzzle and made the song into the masterpiece it was, so I'll give him a little extra credit as "composer/arranger" on that song.

So for the record, here's all the pieces, starting with Stevie's demo....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNHbe0Q9UfI

Pretty much an entirely different song, and not a bad one either. But aside from the chorus, doesn't resemble the final product at all.

FORD
04-13-2018, 02:22 PM
This guitar intro should sound familiar....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtxNiJkAm0U

FORD
04-13-2018, 02:23 PM
And finally, the "missing link" from the Rumours sessions....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJzCae_GAnY

Kristy
04-16-2018, 03:00 PM
Not really.

Yes, she did, you repugnant revisionist history pseudo-left bernie brat.

Kristy
04-16-2018, 03:03 PM
This guitar intro should sound familiar....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtxNiJkAm0U

That's 'Never Going Back Again' monkey balls bernie brat. God damn it!

FORD
04-16-2018, 06:37 PM
No it's not. Better change weed shops. Somebody's lacing your buds with PCP.

And the live version makes it even more obvious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9EYjYfbWko

twonabomber
04-16-2018, 08:57 PM
Funny, Buckingham and Christine McVie toured together toward the end of last year.

FORD
04-16-2018, 09:08 PM
Funny, Buckingham and Christine McVie toured together toward the end of last year.

I didn't really keep track of the tour, but I know the record they made was essentially a Fleetwood Mac album, minus Stevie Nicks. Mick Fleetwood & John McVie played on it as well.

twonabomber
04-16-2018, 09:26 PM
I didn't look that far into it. Saw the ad on the marquee at the Rocksino one day I was out there. Looks like the local indie rag didn't review the show.

FORD
04-16-2018, 09:40 PM
Here's one of the singles from the album. Looks & sounds like Fleetwood Mac to me....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPAoLtRDC-w

Nickdfresh
04-17-2018, 03:01 AM
Yes, she did, you repugnant revisionist history pseudo-left bernie brat.

Is that what Syrian State media said?

Kristy
04-18-2018, 01:27 AM
Go fuck a zombie hipster.

Kristy
04-18-2018, 01:29 AM
No it's not.

Yes, it is.

Nickdfresh
04-25-2018, 08:49 AM
They're on CBS this morning spouting the typical upbeat bullshit...

FORD
04-25-2018, 01:27 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7hczWUb8xA
we don't use the word "fired" because it's ugly... but yeah, we fucked him over big time.

twonabomber
04-25-2018, 02:33 PM
October 3 - Tulsa, OK @ BOK Center
October 6 - Chicago, IL @ United Center
October 10 - Louisville, KY @ KFC Yum! Center
October 12 - Lincoln, NE @ Pinnacle Bank Arena
October 14 - Des Moines, IA @ Wells Fargo Arena
October 16 - Indianapolis, IN @ Bankers Life Fieldhouse
October 18 - Kansas City, MO @ Sprint Center
October 20 - St. Louis, MO @ Scottrade Center
October 22 - St. Paul, MN @ Xcel Energy Center
October 26 - Cleveland, OH @ Quicken Loans Arena
October 28 - Milwaukee, WI @ Wisconsin Entertainment and Sports Center
October 30 - Detroit, MI @ Little Caesars Arena
November 1 - Pittsburgh, PA @ PPG Paints Arena
November 3 - Ottawa, ON @ Canadian Tire Centre
November 5 - Toronto, ON @ Air Canada Centre
November 7 - Columbus, OH @ Nationwide Arena
November 10 - Edmonton, AB @ Rogers Place
November 12 - Calgary, AB @ Scotiabank Saddledome
November 14 - Vancouver, BC @ Rogers Arena
November 17 - Tacoma, WA @ Tacoma Dome
November 19 - Portland, OR @ Moda Center
November 21 - San Jose, CA @ SAP Center at San Jose
November 23 - Sacramento, CA @ Golden 1 Center
November 25 - Oakland, CA @ Oracle Arena
November 28 - Phoenix, AZ @ Talking Stick Resort Arena
November 30 - Las Vegas, NV @ T-Mobile Arena
December 3 - Denver, CO @ Pepsi Center
December 6 - Fresno, CA @ Save Mart Center
December 8 - San Diego, CA @ Viejas Arena
December 11 - Inglewood, CA @ The Forum
December 13 - Inglewood, CA @ The Forum
February 5, 2019 - Houston, TX @ Toyota Center
February 7 - Dallas, TX @ American Airlines Center
February 9 - Austin, TX @ Frank Erwin Center
February 13 - Birmingham, AL @ Legacy Arena at The BJCC
February 16 - New Orleans, LA @ Smoothie King Center
February 18 - Tampa, FL @ Amalie Arena
February 20 - Ft. Lauderdale, FL @ BB&T Center
February 22 - Columbia, SC @ Colonial Life Arena
February 24 - Charlotte, NC @ Spectrum Center
February 27 - Nashville, TN @ Bridgestone Arena
March 3 - Atlanta, GA @ Philips Arena
March 5 - Washington, DC @ Capital One Arena
March 9 - Atlantic City, NJ @ Boardwalk Hall
March 11 - New York, NY @ Madison Square Garden
March 13 - Newark, NJ @ Prudential Center
March 15 - Hartford, CT @ XL CENTER
March 20 - Albany, NY @ Times Union Center
March 24 - Baltimore, MD @ Royal Farms Arena
March 26 - Buffalo, NY @ KeyBank Center
March 31 - Boston, MA @ TD Garden
April 5 - Philadelphia, PA @ Wells Fargo Center

twonabomber
04-25-2018, 02:34 PM
https://www.rollingstone.com/music/features/fleetwood-mac-detail-new-tour-talk-lindsey-buckingham-w519492

FORD
04-25-2018, 03:38 PM
I have to laugh at this history revisionism bullshit that claims Buckingham never wanted to play the songs written before he was in the band.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=heC_FoP7RQ4

FORD
04-25-2018, 03:41 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4gIRYRzPpc

twonabomber
04-25-2018, 03:45 PM
I'm sure there will be a statement from Buckingham.

Kristy
04-25-2018, 10:37 PM
Mike Campbell is a walking fuckstick/fart sucker out to squeeze himself a few bucks with shovels in both his hands and a aardvark gnawing on his asshole. As for that Kiwi muckfucker - yeah, BRILLIANT idea. This tour will be a bust. Fuck these money-grubbing Nazis

FORD
04-26-2018, 12:36 AM
Well, Campbell does know how to play at least one of their songs.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H34Uc9JWECQ

Nickdfresh
04-26-2018, 01:03 AM
Mike Campbell is a walking fuckstick/fart sucker out to squeeze himself a few bucks with shovels in both his hands and a aardvark gnawing on his asshole. As for that Kiwi muckfucker - yeah, BRILLIANT idea. This tour will be a bust. Fuck these money-grubbing Nazis

Yeah. They were mailing it in with Buckingham, it's completely shameless now...

Terry
04-27-2018, 07:07 PM
Yeah. They were mailing it in with Buckingham, it's completely shameless now...

They've been creaking along now for so long...like, even with Nicks her voice isn't close to what it was 20 years ago when The Dance reunion took place.

They had a good reunion with The Dance. Got the definitive lineup back together. Everybody was still able to pull it off. Now Fleetwood Mac are entering KISS territory, where original/definitive members are leaving along with declining live vocal abilities. The strength of the band name will doubtless ensure this upcoming tour will be successful. Perhaps that combined with a general realization among ticket buyers that none of these folks are young anymore, and if one wants to see them live probably now is the time because there isn't a guarantee of endless chances going forward to see these guys. Shit, I put off seeing STP forever: each time a tour came around, I'd always figure I'd catch 'em next time. And Fleetwood Mac have to be, what, 20 years older than the guys in STP. I've done the same thing for Jeff Beck, and one day he's gonna stop touring (or pass away) and I'm gonna kick myself for not seeing him when I could have. it's THAT mentality that will help put asses in seats for the upcoming Fleetwood Mac tour.

FORD
09-07-2018, 10:31 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VElI89y_-QI

FORD
09-07-2018, 02:20 PM
Neil Finn doesn't sound like Neil Finn here. It's sort of like what somebody in the rock media said about Cherone sounding like Hagar with a bad stomach ache when the first VDIII single came out. Finn sounds like Lindsey Buckingham after partying all night in a Mexican cantina, and then trying to cure his hangover with the local tap water and getting a nasty case of the shits. :squirts:

BTW... let's do the math here. It took them three guitar players, an extra keyboard player and two backup singers to replace one guy who wrote half ot their hit records. And they STILL failed.

VDIII comparisons really do fit here. And I expect this to last about as long as that abortion did.

Kristy
09-07-2018, 03:28 PM
Is this what happens when you grow old? I know the hearing and sight goes but this is an abomination. A overnight cash grab to milk the fans of their every dollar before Trump comes in an takes it all.

Nickdfresh
12-08-2018, 09:57 AM
Buckingham was on CBS. He said he sued and the parties reached a settlement. He also said that Christine McVie told him in an email that Stevie Nicks regrets the firing and misses him, but that he isn't sure if she's just saying that to make him feel better or not. He also said he doesn't expect a reunion, but is open to one...

Nickdfresh
12-08-2018, 09:59 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VElI89y_-QI

Awful, the sounds of goats being soulessly blown for a buck...

Kelly98
12-10-2018, 07:52 AM
I hate seeing something like this happen to a band that DEFINED my childhood. It won't be the same without Buckingham and that is just the truth.

Terry
12-10-2018, 09:29 PM
Yeah, it is kinda sad. Perhaps sadly all too common these days, for a lot of aging bands across a wide range of styles, where for a variety of reasons (ego, money, bad blood between certain members) these bands that theoretically are able to tour with the original/definitive lineups, don't.

I suppose the surprise with Fleetwood Mac is that they already tired ditching Buckingham once thirty years ago, and that didn't work out well for them back then.

From what Buckingham had to say recently, apparently his departure wasn't something he had any input with or a choice about one way or another. Seems a shame for the fans, particularly since the entire Rumors lineup are still vertical and able to perform. I mean, I can't say as Tom Petty's lead guitarist and the singer from Crowded House are two people I would find acceptable as a substitute for Buckingham, particularly since Buckingham seemingly still wants to play with the band.