X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dave's PA Rental
    Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Something that pisses me off...

It pisses me off that it takes a disaster like September 11 to get people to show their patriotism.

Remember how after 9/11 everyone rushed to get an American flag displayed on or in their cars?

Where did all the flags go? I dont see any American flags in/on vehicles anymore.

of course, all the soccer-moms will clamour to get flags back in their SUV's after the next terrorist attack.

Mine never came down, nor will it EVER! It's hanging from the sun-visor on the passenger side, and there it will stay.
    Maybe this is what a heroine addict feels like after getting a long awaited fix, shooting up in the corner of some abandoned building and just not giving a fuck about what the rest of the world thinks...TATTOO"
  • John Ashcroft
    Veteran
    • Jan 2004

Good on ya!

Mine's still flying proudly on my house. Was prior to 9/11, and will be forever (or as long as I live there.)

Comment

• BigBadBrian
      TOASTMASTER GENERAL
      • Jan 2004

Originally posted by John Ashcroft
      Good on ya!

Mine's still flying proudly on my house. Was prior to 9/11, and will be forever (or as long as I live there.)
      Mine too.
      “If bullshit was currency, Joe Biden would be a billionaire.” - George W. Bush

Comment

• lucky wilbury

same here

Comment

• Junyore Grades
          Roadie
          • Jan 2004

The one on my car, I did take off because it was all ripped up.
          I had an old regulation sized flag that I hung from a tree when I first bought my property, prior to 9-11. After several hard storms, it became ripped and faded. A few days after 9-11, I properly burned and retired the old flag.
          Now I have a 25 foot flagpole, with a 3x5 flag on it. At the base of the pole, I made a rock outline of my state, WV, and planted red white and blue flowers in the middle. This year, I plan to make it bigger and better.
          http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-...ertificate.jpg

Comment

• FORD
            ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Junyore Grades
            I had an old regulation sized flag that I hung from a tree when I first bought my property, prior to 9-11. After several hard storms, it became ripped and faded.
            And this is how you respect the flag?? I was always taught that you take the flag down at sunset and that you don't leave it out in the severe weather to get all fucked up.

A few days after 9-11, I properly burned and retired the old flag.
            Indeed that is the traditonal way of retiring an old flag. However, you might not want to say that in public, because then the right wingers pushing the "flag burning ammendment" will have the Feds show up at your door

Now I have a 25 foot flagpole, with a 3x5 flag on it. At the base of the pole, I made a rock outline of my state, WV, and planted red white and blue flowers in the middle. This year, I plan to make it bigger and better.
            What happens when the flowers get cross-pollinated and come in purple and pink? Will you change it to the rainbow flag?
            Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Dave's PA Rental
              Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

I had an old regulation sized flag that I hung from a tree when I first bought my property, prior to 9-11. After several hard storms, it became ripped and faded. A few days after 9-11, I properly burned and retired the old flag.
              Sounds good, JG...dont listen to FORD.

But I think that you are supposed to take the flag to the local Army Reserve building where they will honorably dispose of it...
              Maybe this is what a heroine addict feels like after getting a long awaited fix, shooting up in the corner of some abandoned building and just not giving a fuck about what the rest of the world thinks...TATTOO"

Comment

• Junyore Grades
                Roadie
                • Jan 2004

Originally posted by FORD
                And this is how you respect the flag?? I was always taught that you take the flag down at sunset and that you don't leave it out in the severe weather to get all fucked up.
                True, hanging a flag from a tree is not proper, but at the time I didn't even have a home, just property, a camper and a flag.

Regulations state that if the flag is lit, (I use two hallogen flood lamps) you don't have to lower the flag, with the exception of severe storms.

Indeed that is the traditonal way of retiring an old flag. However, you might not want to say that in public, because then the right wingers pushing the "flag burning ammendment" will have the Feds show up at your door
                I assure you, I did it the proper way. Ripped thirteen ways and quietly burned. My neighbors didn't even know untill they noticed it missing.

What happens when the flowers get cross-pollinated and come in purple and pink? Will you change it to the rainbow flag? [/B]
                No. I'll kill them all and start over. Avtually, I don't even have to, they're annuals.
                Last edited by Junyore Grades; 01-16-2004, 04:00 PM.

Comment

• Junyore Grades
                  Roadie
                  • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Daves PA rental
                  Sounds good, JG...dont listen to FORD.

But I think that you are supposed to take the flag to the local Army Reserve building where they will honorably dispose of it...
                  That flag had been with me since I first moved out of my parents and was a gift from one of my friends who died of cancer. To me, it was too personal to let anyone else burn it.
                  It was done with most respect.

Comment

• FORD
                    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

That flag had been with me since I first moved out of my parents and was a gift from one of my friends who died of cancer. To me, it was too personal to let anyone else burn it.
                    It was done with most respect.
                    Now, me I would have saved that flag due to the history, and just not flown it anymore, but to each his own......

Which reminds me of a story....

This old roomate had an older flag (Think it might have been a pre-1959 48 star version) and he swore up and down that the flag had a ghost attached to it. Now it did look like the official military issue funeral flag (and he kept it folded in the traditional triangular fashion) so the "ghost" might have been a WWII soldier killed in action, I suppose.

I'm skeptical about ghosts as a rule, but there was definitely a "presence" in that house, and I'm not the only one who thought so. Of course he never bothered to tell me about his friend the ghost until after we had both moved out of the house?

True story, weird as it sounds.
                    Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Sarge
                      ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Feb 2003

Re: Something that pisses me off...

Originally posted by Daves PA rental
                      It pisses me off that it takes a disaster like September 11 to get people to show their patriotism.

Remember how after 9/11 everyone rushed to get an American flag displayed on or in their cars?
                      I have one on the back of my jeep along with 2 magentic yellow ribbons...

My front proch has a huge flag and my tree has a yellow ribbon around it..

My woman is still in IRAQ with the 21st CSH so maybe that has something to do with it..
                      Sarge
                      ROTHARMY.COM WEBMASTER AND FOUNDER
                      The Diamond David Lee Roth Army

MY GROUPS ON ROTHARMY.COM
                      [Fender Custom Shop Owners Club]

Comment

• lucky wilbury

This old roomate had an older flag (Think it might have been a pre-1959 48 star version

we had flags like that in classrooms while i was in high school. and i was in hs in the mid-late 90's

Comment

• FORD
                          ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by lucky wilbury
                          we had flags like that in classrooms while i was in high school. and i was in hs in the mid-late 90's
                          And yet you want to cut education funding ?
                          Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

Comment

• Junyore Grades
                            Roadie
                            • Jan 2004

Now, me I would have saved that flag due to the history, and just not flown it anymore, but to each his own......
                            That was the origional plan, but do to rips and stains from the tree, I just decided to destroy it.

Comment

• John Ashcroft
                              Veteran
                              • Jan 2004

Sarge, hope your little lady makes it home safe and sound very soon.

Comment

Working...