X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • EmpyreLounge44
    Foot Soldier
    • Jun 2004

Ed's playing

There are a ton of threads and posts in here about how Ed has forgotten how to play Unchained or various things about how washed up he is. When I saw the Philly show, I didnt really see any of this...I took it more as just playing around and changing things up...re-interpreting them. In all the boots I have DLR does it all the time, leaving out words or lines. Same thing in my eyes...still think he still has it...just playing around with it. Id rather see Ed noodling live or Dave changing up some words and stuff then exact recreations
  • DLR_EngineRoom
    Veteran
    • Jan 2004

Originally posted by EmpyreLounge44
    There are a ton of threads and posts in here about how Ed has forgotten how to play Unchained or various things about how washed up he is. When I saw the Philly show, I didnt really see any of this...I took it more as just playing around and changing things up...re-interpreting them. In all the boots I have DLR does it all the time, leaving out words or lines. Same thing in my eyes...still think he still has it...just playing around with it. Id rather see Ed noodling live or Dave changing up some words and stuff then exact recreations
    Yeah, but the difference is...is that
    YOU SUCK!
    http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t.../EddieDave.jpg
    http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t...ve_ed_2007.jpg
    http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t...os/TORCH_B.gif

Comment

• BigDaddyD
      Head Fluffer
      • Apr 2004

It is one thing to change it up and another to miss changes, play in the wrong key, forget parts, play out of time. EVH's guitar playing is one of 2 main parts that made up VH. Dave was the other. Dave is gone, all EVH has no is the guitar parts that he created. If he "changes" them to crap, then there is nothing left.

Comment

• DLR_EngineRoom
        Veteran
        • Jan 2004

Originally posted by BigDaddyD
        It is one thing to change it up and another to miss changes, play in the wrong key, forget parts, play out of time. EVH's guitar playing is one of 2 main parts that made up VH. Dave was the other. Dave is gone, all EVH has no is the guitar parts that he created. If he "changes" them to crap, then there is nothing left.
        EX-FREAKING-ZACTLY
        http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t.../EddieDave.jpg
        http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t...ve_ed_2007.jpg
        http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t...os/TORCH_B.gif

Comment

• scottydabodi
          Crazy Ass Mofo
          • Jun 2004

One Man for the Job

There's one, AND THE BODY MEANS ONLY ONE man that can bring Ed back from the edge of the total fucking BULLSHIT that he has become... and you ALL know who that is, and it's SURE AS SHIT NOT ROY!!!!
          If you listen to fools
          The Mob Rules

Comment

• degüello
            Sniper
            • Mar 2004

All the talk about Ed's current level of playing has me almost curious enough to download a boot of a recent show from sharingthegroove.org, just to fucking hear it and judge for myself.

Of course, then I'd have to actually face the reality that this farce of a 'reunion' is really happening, something I've been doing fairly well at avoiding thus far.
            "What we've been doing, which is great and certainly cost saving, is I train in the sand pit in McDonald's. I do a few laps. I go through the tunnel a few times. The kids don't mind if I smoke. Plus, when I'm done, lunch is right there."- DLR 2003

Comment

• TOM_5150
              Roadie
              • Jan 2004

Eddie is still the best my homies!! Just listen to the 3 new tracks. Eddie has never been one to repeat himself. After all of the shit he has been through lately, he has definetely rised to the top.

Comment

• FORD
                ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Tell ya what sheep... If a soundboard of this tour turns up over at STG, I'll give it a fair listen.

I boycotted the VDIII tour out of principle, but I'll admit that Ed played decently on the boots I've heard from that tour. Hell I still think some studio whiz should take a VDIII show, strip Cherone off, add a DLR vocal track from his recent tours and release it as a Van HALEN live album.

So how about it sheep? Every review I've heard suggests that Eddie forgot how to play his own songs. If you think that's wrong, prove it. Put up or shut up.
                Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Panamark
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Jan 2004

Originally posted by TOM_5150
                  Eddie is still the best my homies!! Just listen to the 3 new tracks. Eddie has never been one to repeat himself. After all of the shit he has been through lately, he has definetely rised to the top.
                  Tom, you would hope they sounded good, they are studio recorded. We are talking about his ability to play live. Not on Take 35 in 5150...

Having said that, I wasnt impressed with Up for Breakfast or Its about Time. Studio recorded and all....
                  BABY PANA 2 IS Coming !! All across the land, let the love and beer flow !
                  Love ya Mary Frances!

Comment

• PerryLane
                    Roth Army Recruit
                    • Jun 2004

Those new studio recordings are crap guitarwise IMO. Sloppy. I don't remember wich song it was but it sounded like there are a couple of solo's playing simultaneously, and parts of them faded up and down to get just the right notes up from each. So Ed couldn't nail one good solo eh.

Comment

• Panamark
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • Jan 2004

I think you are referring to Its about time. You know things are not right when Ed considers that song his flagship effort for this latest rip
                      off for the fans...
                      BABY PANA 2 IS Coming !! All across the land, let the love and beer flow !
                      Love ya Mary Frances!

Comment

• Matt White
                        • Jun 2004

ITS ABOUT TIME alright.....Time for those alcohol soaked crack-addicted bagmen to realize that Spammy can't write a hook to SAVE HIS LIFE! Or, he just refuses to give Van Hagar his best stuff, as he plans on keeping anything even remotelt catchy for his next Waborita CD. I haven't even heard UP FOR BREAKFAST or the third tune because their NOT GETTING PLAYED IN DETROIT!!!!! Its just like it was before the Sham Halen reunion......DETROIT RADIO PLAYS CLASSIC VAN HALEN BECAUSE DAVID LEE ROTH RULES!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

• guwapo_rocker

Up for breakfast is the poorest excuse for a song

that I have ever heard. The sisters are obviously heavily

under the influence of something harder than alcohol

because anyone remotely coherent would have booted

Spam's fat ass right back out of the band after he came

up with those lyrics!!

Comment

• degüello
                            Sniper
                            • Mar 2004

I find it hard to believe that Ed's playing sounds that bad.

It doesn't take long for an average player to get their chops back up after a period of inactivity, never mind Eddie Van Halen.

He probably sounds fine. (Hmmm... might just have to hear for myself, as painful as that would be.)
                            Last edited by degüello; 07-11-2004, 11:34 AM.
                            "What we've been doing, which is great and certainly cost saving, is I train in the sand pit in McDonald's. I do a few laps. I go through the tunnel a few times. The kids don't mind if I smoke. Plus, when I'm done, lunch is right there."- DLR 2003

Comment

• degüello
                              Sniper
                              • Mar 2004

Originally posted by guwapo_rocker
                              Up for breakfast is the poorest excuse for a song

that I have ever heard...
                              I've said it before, but "Bringing Up My Breakfast" would've been a more apt title.

Comment

Working...