PDA

View Full Version : Favorite KISS Album?

tobinentinc
07-08-2004, 04:18 PM
What is your favorite or least hated KISS album?? Mine are Destroyer and Lick It Up.

Figs
07-08-2004, 04:25 PM
Favorite studio album: Destroyer
Other favorites: Rock and Roll Over, Revenge

Mr Badguy
07-08-2004, 04:28 PM
Make up era:

"Dressed to kill"

Non make up:

"Asylum"

I don`t know what you mean by least hated.

I know Kiss get a rough ride in here, but when they were making original albums rather than being only interested in making a buck then I thought they were great.

Right up until they reunited with Ace and Peter.

Then it was over.

How can Alice Cooper still have credibility?

Why do Aerosmith still sell millions of albums?

Both are contempories of Kiss, yet Kiss have neither of those attributes and it must really piss them off.

DaveIsKing
07-08-2004, 04:30 PM
No favorite KISS albums, but I do like three songs they do.

LOVE IT LOUD
GOD OF THUNDER
HEAVEN'S ON FIRE

tobinentinc
07-08-2004, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by Mr Badguy
Make up era:

I don`t know what you mean by least hated.

I know Kiss get a rough ride in here, but when they were making original albums rather than being only interested in making a buck then I thought they were great.

That's what i meant. It seems like KISS gets shit on a lot here.

Rikk
07-08-2004, 04:35 PM
Make-up era:
HOTTER THAN HELL

Non-make-up era:
CREATURES OF THE NIGHT
PSYCHO CIRCUS (yes, I actually liked it)

BIGBADZERO
07-08-2004, 04:35 PM
Alive!

Mezro
07-08-2004, 04:49 PM
1.Creatures of the Night
2.Revenge
3.Carnival of Souls
4. Music from the Elder
5. Lick It Up
6. Asylum

Mezro...have to give Alive and Dynasty a nod too

ALinChainz
07-08-2004, 05:24 PM
Make Up:

Dressed to Kill
Destroyer
Alive II

No Make Up:

Revenge
Asylum

Va Beach VH Fan
07-08-2004, 05:52 PM
I'm not going to do that "makeup/no make up" stuff...

Best - Alive !, followed by Destroyer and Rock and Roll Over
Least - Anything after Alive II

BARE BONE
07-08-2004, 07:29 PM
Hotter Than Hell
Alive
Ace's solo
Ace's songs off Dynasty
The Elder
Creatures of the night
Carnival of Souls

Live (elder tour) from new mexico.

Mezro
07-08-2004, 07:34 PM
Originally posted by BARE BONE
Live (elder tour) from new mexico. [/QUOTE]

Great photo BB; never knew they toured behind the Elder at all!

Mezro...thought it was only a few promo gigs

BARE BONE
07-08-2004, 07:59 PM
It pretty much was a promo show. They were big in Mexico and were trying to save a dying album. The Elder was too much of a shock for alot of fans but I dug it. More Mexico.

BARE BONE
07-08-2004, 07:59 PM
one more.

BARE BONE
07-08-2004, 08:01 PM
go to the web site on the bottom of the pics. Tons of kick ass pics from every era. enjoy.

pete
07-08-2004, 08:07 PM
It pretty much was a promo show. They were big in Mexico and were trying to save a dying album. The Elder was too much of a shock for alot of fans but I dug it. More Mexico.

"Mr Blackwell" was decent. "Dark Light" was ruined by the guitar solo brak.

"I'm just a boy" was enough to kill the entire album.

"I" shows their U2 influence. LOL

Ace's solo album was the best ting with a KISS logo on it

horty07
07-08-2004, 08:10 PM
Creatures Of The Night Was released originally in 82, with Ace, Gene, Paul & Eric in make up. The did re-release it a few years later with out make up and Bruce on guitar. Why did they do this? To fuck Ace out of royalties! Anyway its a good album.

Ace's Solo
Rock n Roll Over
Creatures
Pauls Solo
Destroyer

steve vai1
07-08-2004, 08:19 PM
ace has his face on the "creatures of the night album" but he never played a note on that album. If you read about kiss history, you'll see that on many albums studio musicians played a ton of songs but never got credited on the albums because kiss didn't want the fans to see that their "heros" didn't play the songs. Another example was on the "Unmasked" album, peter never played any drums. It was Anton Fig. Anyway:

Makeup album: Destroyer and Love Guns

Non-Makeup: Revenge

horty07
07-08-2004, 08:21 PM
Thats true, but it was the case of all the members and not only Ace.

Mezro
07-08-2004, 08:36 PM
Originally posted by horty07
Creatures Of The Night Was released originally in 82, with Ace, Gene, Paul & Eric in make up. The did re-release it a few years later with out make up and Bruce on guitar. Why did they do this?

Bruce never played on Creatures; it was Vinnie Vincent. They re-released it with a no make-up photo hoping to cash in on their new found (and brief) 80's popularity.

Mezro...the drum mix on the original version is much heavier than the re-release

Mezro
07-08-2004, 08:38 PM
Originally posted by pete

"A World Without Heroes" is my favorite song on Elder.

Mezro...you don't know what you're after or of something is after you

Mezro
07-08-2004, 08:39 PM
go to the web site on the bottom of the pics. Tons of kick ass pics from every era. enjoy.

Thanks man. I will check that fucker out.

Mezro...off to the KISS site I go

ALMOSTsaved
07-08-2004, 08:53 PM

Site won't work for me.

Fave albums:

Ace Solo Album
KISS
Dressed To Kill

Least Fave:

Asylum and everything after with the exception of REVENGE

Coyote
07-08-2004, 08:56 PM
Makeup: Rock'n'Roll Over

Non-makeup: Animalize or Crazy Nights

BARE BONE
07-08-2004, 09:08 PM
http://www.kissfanshop.de/Photos/1980/Thumbnails/Thumbnails.html

sorry try this.

ALMOSTsaved
07-08-2004, 10:38 PM
Cool. It worked! Thank you!

Bill Lumbergh
07-08-2004, 11:00 PM
Original Line-Up- Tie.........HTH, RARO

Non Originals- LIU

Mr Badguy
07-09-2004, 04:38 AM
Originally posted by pete

I enjoyed "The Elder" as it is was bit different.

However, it seemed like producer Bob Ezrin was trying to make them sound a bit like early Alice Cooper with big concepts and big orchestral arrangements.

"Destroyer" also has the same traits.

Also, Peter Criss only played drums on "Dirty livin`" on "Dynasty", the rest were played by Anton Fig.

"Creatures of the night" also features guitarists Robben Ford, Steve Farris and Bob Kulick besides Vinnie Vincent.

Mr Badguy
07-09-2004, 04:44 AM
Originally posted by Rikk
Make-up era:
HOTTER THAN HELL

Non-make-up era:
CREATURES OF THE NIGHT
PSYCHO CIRCUS (yes, I actually liked it)

I would count both "Creatures..." and "Psycho circus" as make up era albums as they feature the band in make up on the covers.

I didn`t think "Psycho circus" was very good at all.

For me it`s their worst album, ranking below "Animalize" and Paul Stanley`s solo album which also do nothing for me apart from a couple of songs.

However, I really dug "Carnival of souls", the album they were working on when they reformed.

ALMOSTsaved
07-09-2004, 06:55 AM
Follow up...

Rock And Roll Over is a great album. However it has a few downers that kill it's momentum for me, those being:

Love 'em, Leave 'em
Baby Drive
See You In Your Dreams

Other than that it's fuckin' great album with a great sound.

Dressed To Kill has the best drum sound. It's kinda like VH's WACF in that sense. As far as VH goes, I think that album is the only one that captured a fucking killer drum sound by Alex.

ULTRAMAN VH
07-09-2004, 07:54 AM
KISS ALIVE 1 is my favorite. This album had alot of energy and power behind it. They were hungry and driven to become the best when this was released.

TwoFoolsAMinute
07-09-2004, 03:49 PM
I have all the KISS CD's
and the one I listen to the most is...
Double Platinum

Favorite studio Album Makeup Era is...
Destroyer

Favorite Non...
Revenge or Hot in the Shade...tie

Carmine
07-09-2004, 03:50 PM
KISS ALIVE II, it was the very first album i ever bought.

BARE BONE
07-09-2004, 11:35 PM

Panamark
07-10-2004, 09:49 AM
Hotter than Hell
Destroyer
Dynasty

Panamark
07-10-2004, 09:49 AM
And Ace's solo !

ALMOSTsaved
07-10-2004, 12:56 PM
Ace's solo is the mother of all KISS albums.

It fuckin' smokes.

As for Dynasty, it's a great album and it was the first tour I saw KISS on way back in '79 when I was a mere 9 years old.

2 years later, I was introduced to Van Halen and I've never been the same.

BARE BONE
07-14-2004, 08:39 PM
new todd mcfarlane figures.

Mezro
07-14-2004, 08:44 PM
Come on Todd, get with the program - where is the Vinnie Vincent action figure?

Mezro...and the Mark St. John toy with the gimpy hand...

ashstralia
07-17-2004, 05:40 AM
new todd mcfarlane figures.

wow, pete's been on the juice!!!!

alexpgrimes
07-17-2004, 09:12 AM
I liked Dynasty the best. Sure know something is a killer song.

Beauvoir
07-21-2004, 06:06 PM
Fave Kiss albums? Jeez, where do I start...

"HOTTER THAN HELL"
"ALIVE!"
"DESTROYER"
"ACE FREHLEY (1978)"

These would top the list but I love everything by the original band. There was real magic there for a little while!
I actually love both Gene & Peter's 1978 solo albums as well!! And there are some killer live stuff from all eras out there to enjoy.

SING IT FOR THE CATMAN!!! =^.^=

BIGBADZERO
07-25-2004, 06:13 AM
Just saw VH1's When KISS Ruled The World and it was real cool. Ace actually looked pretty good. Guess the facial hair helps. Gene still comes off as a prick.

As fo their best albums

1. Alive
2. Destroyer
3. Hotter Than Hell
4. Ace's solo album
5. Rock 'N Roll Over & Alive II (Tie)

Anything after Alive II except Ace's album suck dick.

BIGBADZERO
07-25-2004, 06:14 AM
Originally posted by alexpgrimes
I liked Dynasty the best. Sure know something is a killer song.

You're kidding, right?

Va Beach VH Fan
07-25-2004, 05:19 PM
I actually have my window here in my quasi-office open, and am listening to KISS do their sound check....

Most of you already know, the Ampitheater here is right over a clump of trees past my back yard...

Nothing special, "Tears Are Falling" and "King of the Nightime World"....

Heading over to the Ampitheater in a couple of hours... Not especially exciting this time around, seen them four times already.... Although I've read that they're shaking up the setlist this time, with such songs as "She" and "Take Me"....

I really looking forward to seeing how my 10-year old son reacts to his first rock concert....

Hope the camera man takes some good titty shots !!!! ;)

Va Beach VH Fan
07-27-2004, 10:44 PM
Well, have to say, my son and I had a great time this past Sunday....

Poison, I have to admit, did an unexpectedly decent set.... Pretty much their "greatest hits", if I could call them that, about 50 minutes or so, and they were off of the stage....

Surprisingly big crowd - I'd estimate between 13 and 15 grand....

KISS came on about 8:50PM and played for about 2 hours and 10 minutes...

The usher told us they were filming a DVD that night, and that looked sure to be the case as a couple of large TV-style cameras were placed near the mixing board.... And it's also confirmed on their website now as well, filmed in D.C. Saturday night and this night here in Va Beach...

Also, due to the DVD, they played some extra songs that weren't on their normal setlist for this tour...

The setlist was a minor disappointment IMO.... They tried to dig deeper with some hits that they hadn't been playing live since they put the makeup back on, but in the course of that, they played some post-makeup songs that shouldn't have been played, such as "Unholy", "Tears Are Falling", and "Psycho Circus".... No "God of Thunder", no "Black Diamond", no "Firehouse"....

The best part was watching my son... As soon as the house lights went down, his fists were in the air... He loved every explosion, every flash pot, the blood spitting, the fire breathing, all of it....

And the bonus part - I didn't buy tickets until Saturday, thinking they may lower the prices, which they didn't... Well, because I waited, they obviously opened up some seats in the reserved section just to the right of the mixing board facing the stage....

So we get to our seats, me, my buddy, and my son, and after a few minutes we look up and see that they have the trackbar going from the right side of the stage all the way back to where we were.... We knew that we were in for a treat later on that night....

So about 3/4 into the show, we see about 10 roadies quickly put together a platform right behind our row... They had this thing up, with monitors and speakers complete, in 5 minutes...

They start playing "I Was Made for Loving You", and Paul tells the crowd that he's "coming out there"... Of course, we know what's coming... So Paul hooks his boot onto a strap, and hangs over the crowd while it takes him out to the platform....

So my buddy and I hoist my son onto the armrest so he can stand between the two seats, and now he's about 7 feet high, pumping his fists right up to Paul, who's only a few feet away on the platform....

Unfortunately, I don't think Paul looked directly down to us, or I'm sure he would have given my son a pick or something... He's done that at other KISS shows I've been to with kids....

But, they also had several guys walking around the crowd with mini-KISScams.... When we put my son up on the seat, a guy with one of the minicams was filiming him about a foot away for a good 10-15 seconds....

I can't wait for the DVD to come out, I'd like to think they'd put a shot like that of a young KISS fan on the recording....

One last thing - Not sure if you've heard of this, but KISS also has the folks from "Instant Live" recordings on every stop of this tour.... What you do is signup prior to the show, and minutes after the show is over, you get a high-quality CD of the show right at the front gates.... We didn't think of doing it at the time, and there were a few hundred people in line after the show, but I'm going to grab one, even if I have to grab it off of Ebay...

Mezro
07-28-2004, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by Va Beach VH Fan
One last thing - Not sure if you've heard of this, but KISS also has the folks from "Instant Live" recordings on every stop of this tour....

One of my friends picked up one at the Concord show and the sound was sublime.

Mezro...KISS sound really, really good on this tour...catch them especially if you've never seen them before...

Va Beach VH Fan
07-28-2004, 10:17 PM
Originally posted by Mezro
One of my friends picked up one at the Concord show and the sound was sublime.

Mezro...KISS sound really, really good on this tour...catch them especially if you've never seen them before...

Maybe I'm just an uneducated squid, but by saying it was "sublime", is that a good thing or a bad thing ???

BTW, here was the setlist.....

Love Gun
Deuce
Makin' Love
Lick It Up
Christine Sixteen
Tears Are Falling
She
Got To Choose
I Love It Loud
I Want You
Psycho Circus