X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jacksmar
    Full Member Status

• Feb 2004

Bad ass catlike reflexes

If you think this is cool you won't believe how they man the funnels to drain the tankers. There's a real art to it...
    A NATION OF COWARDS - Jeffrey R. Snyder
  • Seshmeister
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Or a needless disregard for worker safety by super rich owners to invest in a relatively cheap way to minimize the risk to these guys being injured.

Go do a bit of googling on how many fewer people die in industrial accidents these days compared to say the 1970s. There has been a dramatic improvement even in the US.

As for doing this job specifically, was this in the US?
    Last edited by Seshmeister; 12-23-2018, 11:35 PM.

Comment

• Nickdfresh
      SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

The dust alone they're breathing will give them cat like lung diseases....

Comment

• twonabomber
        formerly F A T
        ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Seshmeister
        As for doing this job specifically, was this in the US?
        Didn't sound like it to me.

I didn't know that some coal cars were rotated and dumped

And found this on a railroad site:

Some coal cars of the "hopper" type (as opposed to the "gondola" type) are unloaded through bottom outlets. In modern coal service, these outlets are opened by air pressure, actuated by a "shoe" on the side of the car contacting an electric rail at the proper location at the unloader. These cars have 2 air lines through the train, one for the brakes and one for the hoppers, although I doubt the dump line is charged until the train reaches the utility.
        Last edited by twonabomber; 12-24-2018, 03:00 AM.
        Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

• twonabomber
          formerly F A T
          ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

I’ve never thought about how coal actually gets used. It came out of the ground, it goes into a power plant, soot comes out, and West Virginia dies happy and very, very early. The end. Sure, it had to go onto a train at some point, and that train was probably unloaded by Dickensian street urchins with shovels or…
          Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

Working...