PDA

View Full Version : Roth on rogan 2.28.19

Phil theStalker
02-27-2019, 07:59 PM
:cheer::cheer::cheer:dAviD LeEE rOth®️ iS On dA jOeY rOgAN®️ pODCAsT, 2/28/19!

i jus heRD rogAN®️ sAY tit t20 aLEx jONNES®️!:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

Seshmeister
02-27-2019, 08:44 PM
Jeez has it been 5 years already since the last time?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aiIHEyvjNdA

Seshmeister
02-27-2019, 09:25 PM
The Rogan interview today with Alex Jones was 4 hours 40 minutes long? That is nuts...

Nitro Express
02-27-2019, 11:07 PM
The Rogan interview today with Alex Jones was 4 hours 40 minutes long? That is nuts...

They needed Flappo to break in and crash it. Haha! Hey Alex is crazy like a fox. I think this whole stink was to draw more attention to Alex and Joe. It's all an attention getter game.

Seshmeister
02-28-2019, 02:13 AM
Jones is now saying he believes that Sandy Hook was real after all but he was young and uninformed at the time so it wasn’t his fault. He was 38.

He is now much better informed and then spent the next few hours coming out with a barrage of dozens of insane conspiracy with a few with a little bit of truth behind them. Those ones he gets them to google.

It’s like a cross between the cold reading magic trick used by ‘psychics’ and a Gish Gallop.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gish_gallop

It was actually Joe Rogan I first heard use the Gish Gallop winning an argument with an astronomer that the moon landings were faked despite being full of shit.

Back when he was young and dumb too in his late 30s.

I had to give up 2 hours in when the flat earth guy appeared there is only so much bullshit I can laugh at.

Nitro Express
02-28-2019, 03:38 AM
Jones is now saying he believes that Sandy Hook was real after all but he was young and uninformed at the time so it wasn’t his fault. He was 38.

He is now much better informed and then spent the next few hours coming out with a barrage of dozens of insane conspiracy with a few with a little bit of truth behind them. Those ones he gets them to google.

It’s like a cross between the cold reading magic trick used by ‘psychics’ and a Gish Gallop.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gish_gallop

It was actually Joe Rogan I first heard use the Gish Gallop winning an argument with an astronomer that the moon landings were faked despite being full of shit.

Back when he was young and dumb too in his late 30s.

I had to give up 2 hours in when the flat earth guy appeared there is only so much bullshit I can laugh at.

I mountain climb and on a clear day on top of a 14,000 foot peak you can clearly see the curvature of the earth. I just see InfoWars and Joe Rogan as kind of an internet version of Coast to Coast AM. Really nothing to be taken seriously. They will do whatever carnival tricks needed to keep people watching. Joe is selling New Age bullshit and Alex is selling Jesus and the real Christians (whatever that means) vs the Satanic New World Order (whatever that is). Joe is more hippie dip California and Alex is more I got my gun and bible Texas.

Seshmeister
02-28-2019, 09:38 AM
I assumed that the flat earth thing was just an internet joke troll but reading dozens of comments online I now realize that there is something going spectacularly wrong in school science classes with the internet acting as a multiplier. There are a bunch of people stumbling through life now in 2019 that know less than the ancient Greeks.

Anyhoo back on topic rumors abound that Dave will announce some shows on Rogan today....

Nitro Express
02-28-2019, 12:00 PM
I assumed that the flat earth thing was just an internet joke troll but reading dozens of comments online I now realize that there is something going spectacularly wrong in school science classes with the internet acting as a multiplier. There are a bunch of people stumbling through life now in 2019 that know less than the ancient Greeks.

Anyhoo back on topic rumors abound that Dave will announce some shows on Rogan today....

Some people are going to believe what they believe no matter how much evidence you show them. The globes in the schools are round. The science books have photos and illustrations of a round earth. The solar system model most schools have that shows round planets rotating around a round sun with a round moon rotating around a round earth.

People are going to believe what they want to believe. Some people believe Elvis is still alive and some people think Sammy Hagar actually has talent.

twonabomber
02-28-2019, 12:06 PM
what time does this thing usually air?

listened to Dr. Phil lament the "cash me outside" girl...kinda funny

Phil theStalker
02-28-2019, 12:18 PM
:hippie:i LOggEd On an LiSTeNED fRoM 4 mmMiN. t20 dA eND LiVE!/!/!:love0023::love0066::269:

Phil theStalker
02-28-2019, 12:20 PM
:love0066:3:00p/M cLEvELAnD tiME, bOMbERS!/!:flame:

bluemustard
02-28-2019, 04:07 PM
d-ro on the air..fucking love it! I got nothing to say about Joe.
:gulp:

twonabomber
02-28-2019, 06:04 PM
Radio show talk...

twonabomber
02-28-2019, 06:16 PM
Promoted INK The Original at the end but no mention of shows.

I got on late and skipped around, didn't hear anything about shows.

FORD
02-28-2019, 07:16 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5ZFKYtHdsM

Seshmeister
02-28-2019, 08:15 PM
Promoted INK The Original at the end but no mention of shows.

I got on late and skipped around, didn't hear anything about shows.

Some good chat about Van Halen though.

The rumor about shows came from Van Halen getting their tour crates repaired earlier in the week.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BuWT55indjy/?utm_source=ig_embed

Seshmeister
02-28-2019, 08:44 PM
d-ro on the air..fucking love it! I got nothing to say about Joe.
:gulp:

He seemed worn out after his marathon with Alex Jones yesterday.

He did say again about how he loved Van Halen and didn't listen to Van Hagar...

Seshmeister
02-28-2019, 09:07 PM
The Rogan YouTube audience seem split 3 ways. One third love Dave, one third couldn't take it especially all the laughing at his own lines and the final third just wondering what drugs he is on. :)

Nitro Express
02-28-2019, 11:00 PM
Haha! I forgot how ADHD Dave is.

Nitro Express
02-28-2019, 11:09 PM
The Rogan YouTube audience seem split 3 ways. One third love Dave, one third couldn't take it especially all the laughing at his own lines and the final third just wondering what drugs he is on. :)

Dave has Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder. He said so himself. The reason he acts the way he does is because he has a medical condition that makes him act that way. He probably has a high IQ but he can't keep his focus on anything.

bluemustard
03-01-2019, 03:12 AM
He seemed worn out after his marathon with Alex Jones yesterday.

He did say again about how he loved Van Halen and didn't listen to Van Hagar...

Yeah I couldn't get through the Alex Jones. A week ago Alex exposes Joe Rogan's investers n stuff.
Now they're buddies again. (wtf??..lol)

Seemed like Dave has more knowledge of comedy than Joe.
Joe couldn't seem to understand that a comedian who suffers alot makes some of the best comedy. (Pryor,Bruce etc).
But yeah..he did put some feathers in his ass regarding VH.
Roth on! Have good weekend everybody! Hope the 2019 tour (if it's on ) hits Europe.

bluemustard
03-01-2019, 03:15 AM

Dave laughing at own jokes is gold. Also..Joe didn't seem to get all his jokes..was funny to see. Dave talking bout the swords in Japan..Joe looked like a 4 year old kid in school learning about history.

bluemustard
03-01-2019, 04:12 AM
Takes Joe 6 months to write an hour worth or comedy.
I know Dave can do that on the spot and be more funny genious.
I think if you would time it Dave talks about two and half hours and Joe maybe 20 minutes in total.
Uncle Manny bought Richrad Pryor's outfit so he'd look sharp on stage.
Dave knows what he is talking about and I love that he doesn't use a smartphone

Phil theStalker
03-01-2019, 04:13 AM
Dave laughing at own jokes is gold. Also..Joe didn't seem to get all his jokes..was funny to see. Dave talking bout the swords in Japan..Joe looked like a 4 year old kid in school learning about history.
:609::eek1::metalbang:dAvE iS LiKE dA TyPiCAL JeWiSH cOMeDiAN!/! aN hE LoOKs LiKE StEvE MMmARTiN WiT dAT hAiRCuT!/!!/:amen::love0075:

bluemustard
03-01-2019, 06:25 AM
Eddie recorded solos with multiple tracks and after that he had to learn them for the tour.
LOL sweet!

bluemustard
03-01-2019, 06:27 AM
:609::eek1::metalbang:dAvE iS LiKE dA TyPiCAL JeWiSH cOMeDiAN!/! aN hE LoOKs LiKE StEvE MMmARTiN WiT dAT hAiRCuT!/!!/:amen::love0075:

lol :D I like his new haircut..he looks like a bladerunner or some badass from a sci fi movie..way more cool than Gene Simmons planet of the apes haircut. lol

Seshmeister
03-01-2019, 09:49 AM
Reported as

Legendary Van Halen singer David Lee Roth spoke in an interview with Joe Rogan during the recent episode of Joe’s podcast on Youtube.

David has shared what he really thinks about former Van Halen singer Sammy Hagar. First of all, Roth jokingly criticize Hagar, and said (transcriped by Alternative Nation):

“All of Sam’s lyrics contained love. Why can’t this be love? I ain’t talkin’ about love. We’ll be back with more fighting after this. (Laughs)

Come on, who do I jog with? I don’t. Who is my running partner? (Maniacally laughs)”

Rogan said “Yeah, Runnin’ With The Devil”, Roth continued:

“Questions in love are great, classically, that’s [Frank] Sinatra, but I’m not well adjusted. Nobody in my job ever was, much well kept it this long, and I faced it and embraced it, like a Brazilian storm, you follow?

It’s all right there in the lyrics, even using classic lyric parlor tricks, like taking a very sad lyric and positioning it against a happy piece of music. This music is romping, it’s heavy metal, and the lyric is she’s crying.”

Later then, Rogan talked about Hagar as follows:

“There’s nothing wrong with the Sammy Hagar thing, but it moved into a mall crowd, it was a different sort of vibe. It was a good vibe for a lot of folks, but it was a different vibe.

I don’t have anything against Sammy Hagar, I think he’s wonderful, I always loved that song Can’t Drive 55, he’s got some great shit. But I never listened to Van Halen with Van Hagar, it was an end of an era for me.”

Roth added:

“It was two different folks. I wanted to be the art project, not just wear one.”

Nitro Express
03-01-2019, 01:40 PM
Yeah I couldn't get through the Alex Jones. A week ago Alex exposes Joe Rogan's investers n stuff.
Now they're buddies again. (wtf??..lol)

Seemed like Dave has more knowledge of comedy than Joe.
Joe couldn't seem to understand that a comedian who suffers alot makes some of the best comedy. (Pryor,Bruce etc).
But yeah..he did put some feathers in his ass regarding VH.
Roth on! Have good weekend everybody! Hope the 2019 tour (if it's on ) hits Europe.

Well Roth is Roth. Just Dave being Dave. The Alex Jones interview was more strange than Roth. Ha! Ha! Apparently Joe and Alex were friends for years and then Alex turns on Joe making all these crazy conspiracy claims that Joe is working for George Soros and promoting the use of hallucigens to the public.

Alex declares war against Joe a Rogan on his show and now Joe has a clearly stressed out Alex on his show. Now the big question is why? Because Joe is a friend helping Alex redeem himself? Because Joe is just giving Alex more rope to hang himself? Because Joe knows having Alex on after the big spat will increase his pod cast viewership.

Who knows. With all these crazy people coming on the show no wonder Joe smokes pot and drinks booze while doing it. Ha! Ha!

Nitro Express
03-01-2019, 01:44 PM
Sammy Hagar covered Van Halen in fake nacho cheese and shoved a paper umbrella up it’s ass.

Nitro Express
03-01-2019, 01:48 PM
lol :D I like his new haircut..he looks like a bladerunner or some badass from a sci fi movie..way more cool than Gene Simmons planet of the apes haircut. lol

Planet of the apes haircut. Ha! Ha! Well Gene is ready because society is heading towards becoming Planet of the Apes.

Nitro Express
03-01-2019, 01:52 PM
Takes Joe 6 months to write an hour worth or comedy.
I know Dave can do that on the spot and be more funny genious.
I think if you would time it Dave talks about two and half hours and Joe maybe 20 minutes in total.
Uncle Manny bought Richrad Pryor's outfit so he'd look sharp on stage.
Dave knows what he is talking about and I love that he doesn't use a smartphone

Dave is a genius. The problem with Dave is he has really bad attention deficit disorder and can’t keep his focus on anything for shit. It’s why the dude tanked in radio. It’s too confining for him. Dave couldn’t hold a regular job.

Nitro Express
03-01-2019, 01:56 PM

Joe didn’t know what hit him. Ha! Ha! Dave is like experiencing multiple worlds very fast while high on coke.

Fairwrning
03-01-2019, 06:14 PM
$100 to anybody that can sit through that entire thing..Jesus

Terry
03-01-2019, 06:35 PM

Yeah...I struggled through about 45 minutes of Roth on Rogan in...what, 2010? 2011? 2012? Somewhere in there.

I used to quite enjoy Roth interviews in terms of Roth being an interesting interview subject, but that Rogan interview from several years ago...yeesh. Much like his live vocals, Roth's interview abilities aren't what they once were, either.

Nitro Express
03-01-2019, 09:27 PM

Get high and sit in a room with colorful lights flashing and you might be able to get to the end of it.

Nitro Express
03-01-2019, 09:29 PM
Yeah...I struggled through about 45 minutes of Roth on Rogan in...what, 2010? 2011? 2012? Somewhere in there.

I used to quite enjoy Roth interviews in terms of Roth being an interesting interview subject, but that Rogan interview from several years ago...yeesh. Much like his live vocals, Roth's interview abilities aren't what they once were, either.

Dave is like having your crazy uncle who is off his meds come over to the house for a visit and he insists staying longer because he has nothing to do.

Terry
03-01-2019, 09:57 PM
Dave is like having your crazy uncle who is off his meds come over to the house for a visit and he insists staying longer because he has nothing to do.

100% spot on, there.

Ole Wacky Uncle Dave, who seems to have bulk-purchased Paul Lynde's 70s wardrobe that was collecting moths in a storage unit somewhere in Santa Monica: Hey, watch me bust Funky Chicken Disco Duck moves on my dance mat center stage! Look at my Jazz hands!! Complete with neon green ascot and matching scarf!!!

I mean, is it just me, or does Roth come off more and more like a doddering homosexual bachelor the older he gets?

Jérôme Frenchise
03-02-2019, 06:34 AM
Well, it comes to my mind too. The question has been "debated" many times here over the years, and it's still err... questionable.

It seems he mentioned VH in the simple past, didn't he? Grammatically it sounds like it's over, doesn't it?

Seshmeister
03-02-2019, 11:14 AM
It seems he mentioned VH in the simple past, didn't he? Grammatically it sounds like it's over, doesn't it?

A 3 hour interview without a mention of 'so what are the band doing these days' strikes me as probably meaning that he arranged in advance that wasn't to be mentioned.

As for the tense thing, I don't know about French speakers but people can be pretty sloppy about tenses in English especially sportsmen and musicians. :)

Seshmeister
03-02-2019, 11:18 AM
I mean, is it just me, or does Roth come off more and more like a doddering homosexual bachelor the older he gets?

I do wonder about these clubs where he dances anonymously for hours to electronic music.

Then again straight techno nightclubs are probably free of Van Halen fans too. :)

FORD
03-02-2019, 11:50 AM
Are there really any such things as "straight techno nightclubs"??

I have rarely been to any sort of techno dance clubs, because I can't dance and I hate the music. But even the ones I've been in, the crowd appeared to have a lot of LGBT folks in it, even if it wasn't officially a "gay" club.

Seshmeister
03-02-2019, 12:05 PM
As far as I can make out LGBT people do have a lot more fun going out in their later lives than the rest of us which is what made me wonder about the 64 year old dancing all night thing.

It's maybe less about sexuality than just not having kids and recycling partners more.

Jérôme Frenchise
03-02-2019, 12:37 PM
I do wonder about these clubs where he dances anonymously for hours to electronic music.

Then again straight techno nightclubs are probably free of Van Halen fans too. :)

He isn't that anonymous if he is known to do so. ;)

Baby's On Fire
03-02-2019, 03:35 PM
As far as I can make out LGBT people do have a lot more fun going out in their later lives than the rest of us which is what made me wonder about the 64 year old dancing all night thing.

It's maybe less about sexuality than just not having kids and recycling partners more.

Can we please just use the word "faggots"......like the good old days?

Stop bending over for those people (pun intended) and end the PC bullshit.

The World has gone to Hell.

Nitro Express
03-02-2019, 08:16 PM
Can we please just use the word "faggots"......like the good old days?

Stop bending over for those people (pun intended) and end the PC bullshit.

The World has gone to Hell.

The world has gone to hell because people take everything seriously. We used to enjoy great comedians who were sarcastic and a bit dark. Now everyone takes everything literally. Listened to the Roth/Rogan interview and they got into talking about this. I agree with Joe. We live in an age of fabricated hate. People are bored and they need to invent something to be angry about. I think that's a big part of it but then we can have fun trolling those people.

Baby's On Fire
03-02-2019, 08:34 PM
The world has gone to hell because people take everything seriously. We used to enjoy great comedians who were sarcastic and a bit dark. Now everyone takes everything literally. Listened to the Roth/Rogan interview and they got into talking about this. I agree with Joe. We live in an age of fabricated hate. People are bored and they need to invent something to be angry about. I think that's a big part of it but then we can have fun trolling those people.

Back in the good old days, faggots often called themselves faggots.

I like the good old days better.

FORD
03-03-2019, 01:12 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=peFVkDWTdgM

DavidLeeNatra
03-03-2019, 02:05 AM
$100 to anybody that can sit through that entire thing..JesusPay me, motherfucker...and enjoyed every minute of it. So did Joe!

Gesendet von meinem SM-G955F mit Tapatalk

Nitro Express
03-03-2019, 02:50 AM
Back in the good old days, faggots often called themselves faggots.

I like the good old days better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQBLzotAn3M&feature=share

Here you go. Some comedy from the good ol days. Enjoy!

Nitro Express
03-03-2019, 03:51 AM
Pay me, motherfucker...and enjoyed every minute of it. So did Joe!

Keep your fork honey there is pie. Ha! Ha!

DavidLeeNatra
03-03-2019, 05:43 AM
Keep your fork honey there is pie. Ha! Ha!Fucking brilliant! Joe: You're a bad motherfucker.

ZahZoo
03-03-2019, 07:56 AM
I listened to the whole thing... Dave was pretty darn articulate, entertaining and interesting.

I found his point about his inability to be an actor who can project a certain character because he is already a character an interesting and good perspective. Also his point on other musicians who made totally recognizable music that anyone can be familiar with but you couldn't recognize the artist if you were standing right next to them.

It was a compelling aspect of his self awareness and what he brought to the stage... he was part of the overall art not just the sound.

Fairwrning
03-03-2019, 11:47 AM
I call bullshit..you may have let it play,but you didnt listen to it all..

Nitro Express
03-04-2019, 02:39 AM
I listened to the whole thing... Dave was pretty darn articulate, entertaining and interesting.

I found his point about his inability to be an actor who can project a certain character because he is already a character an interesting and good perspective. Also his point on other musicians who made totally recognizable music that anyone can be familiar with but you couldn't recognize the artist if you were standing right next to them.

It was a compelling aspect of his self awareness and what he brought to the stage... he was part of the overall art not just the sound.

His packaging on his new line of skin care products look pretty damn sharp. Hope it does well. Sounds like an interesting niche Dave is marketing to.

twonabomber
03-04-2019, 03:03 AM
His packaging on his new line of skin care products look pretty damn sharp. Hope it does well. Sounds like an interesting niche Dave is marketing to.

Glad to see Dave's not selling shoes and leggings...

Seshmeister
03-04-2019, 07:13 AM
Or dungarees... :)

Actually as ideas go it seems like a good one - only 1 in 10 people over 50 have a tattoo but more than a third of under 40 year olds do.

twonabomber
03-04-2019, 07:27 AM
1 in 10 people over 50 where you are? It's gotta be more than that in the States.

Seshmeister
03-04-2019, 11:00 AM
1 in 10 people over 50 where you are? It's gotta be more than that in the States.

Those are US figures, remember it includes people in their 70s and 80s. How many 70 year old women have ink?

Seshmeister
03-04-2019, 11:01 AM
This is the clip that JRE are using.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzJs-tV7Lm4

Jérôme Frenchise
03-04-2019, 11:28 AM
This is the clip that JRE are using.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzJs-tV7Lm4

This is a great moment. But how could it last about threeee hours at that pace? :biggrin:

I thibk I'll carry on listening watching in several pieces.

What a "client" Dave still is, really.

FORD
03-04-2019, 11:38 AM
I'm not a regular listener to Rogan's podcast, but after 4 hours of Alex Jones & 3 hours of DLR, I think Joe must have a strange gift for keeping people talking endlessly... even when the conversation veers off into some really weird shit (as it did in both of these cases).

His format would never work in conventional talk radio, because you couldn't do this shit in 10 minute segments (with a bunch of commercials in between)

Nitro Express
03-04-2019, 03:05 PM
I'm not a regular listener to Rogan's podcast, but after 4 hours of Alex Jones & 3 hours of DLR, I think Joe must have a strange gift for keeping people talking endlessly... even when the conversation veers off into some really weird shit (as it did in both of these cases).

His format would never work in conventional talk radio, because you couldn't do this shit in 10 minute segments (with a bunch of commercials in between)

Alex Jones and David Lee Roth are both masters of bullshit. Both make people laugh when they hit that magical moment of brilliant crazy and like mining you have to dig through the rough to get to the gems. What Alex and Dave have in common is they both read a lot. There is a lot of data to base stories and bullshit on. Alex is the paranoid conspiracy weirdo which people seem to have to listen to for whatever reason and Dave is like your crazy uncle who is in his 60's and still thinks he's a teenager going on panty raids.

ZahZoo
03-05-2019, 07:02 AM
I call bullshit..you may have let it play,but you didnt listen to it all..

It was the perfect background noise for combining 73 spreadsheets of data and creating pivot tables to perform some boring as hell data analysis...That crap is mind numbing but Dave's story telling kept me sharp and entertained!

private parts
03-05-2019, 10:31 AM
My favorite part of the interview? Rogan: "David Lee Roth, you are a bad motherfucker"

Nitro Express
03-05-2019, 12:43 PM
It was the perfect background noise for combining 73 spreadsheets of data and creating pivot tables to perform some boring as hell data analysis...That crap is mind numbing but Dave's story telling kept me sharp and entertained!

Oh shit. Sounds like an internship I did. I didn’t make coffee. They made me do all the data collection grunt work everyone hated to do.

chuckjitsu
03-06-2019, 12:45 PM
This interview is basically like every Dave interview- generally long-winded and overstuffed with zen/philosophical/existential musings. And I say this as someone who likes Dave. I can only take so much before my eyes start to glaze over.

ZahZoo
03-08-2019, 06:52 AM
Oh shit. Sounds like an internship I did. I didn’t make coffee. They made me do all the data collection grunt work everyone hated to do.

Thankfully I didn't have to perform the weeks of data gathering... just a few hours of turd polishing to tell a story that we already knew the ending. Now that it's done, I hand it off to the poor soul who's job it will become. Thankful I had Dave's babbling in the background to fill the void.

Fairwrning
03-08-2019, 05:50 PM
Gotta say, I never imagined DLR being as he is today.I always thought he was the driving force behind the baddest band on the planet and once the solo career died he would disappear and rarely be seen ( which is basically true ). That Vegas shit he did really turned him into one strange mother fucker to this day. And yes, I think the dude swings both ways.

https://youtu.be/xPhyD0Eg3HY

Terry
03-08-2019, 06:54 PM
Gotta say, I never imagined DLR being as he is today.I always thought he was the driving force behind the baddest band on the planet and once the solo career died he would disappear and rarely be seen ( which is basically true ). That Vegas shit he did really turned him into one strange mother fucker to this day. And yes, I think the dude swings both ways.

https://youtu.be/xPhyD0Eg3HY

Yeah, from 1995 Vegas onward, he got gradually more and more strange...to where he's at today, which appears downright bizarre.

It wouldn't surprise me in the least to find out he is either bi or completely gay...and perhaps always was totally gay and the macho hetero stud image was just a ruse. It wouldn't change my enjoyment level of what he did one iota should that prove to have been the case.

Honestly? He comes across as a strange dude who enjoys his own company beyond anybody else's. At least he isn't trying to grow old gracefully. It wouldn't suit him anyway.

ZahZoo
03-09-2019, 08:37 AM
Good perspective... https://www.forbes.com/sites/jeffabe...ths-second-act

Jérôme Frenchise
03-09-2019, 10:56 AM
At least he isn't trying to grow old gracefully. It wouldn't suit him anyway.

Sounds like what Pete Townshend said to the Stones at their induction to the Rock 'n'arriverai Roll Hall of Fame in 1989, "Don't try to grow old gracefully, it wouldn't suit you".

Growing old, Dave seems to try hard to speak out with art, but then he always has.

He's got his feet right into "I, me, me, mine", but always so entertaining. Too much in a way, as even we old fans can get tired of it. A lil still ain't enough for Uncle Dave, and it never will.

Terry
03-09-2019, 08:38 PM
Sounds like what Pete Townshend said to the Stones at their induction to the Rock 'n'arriverai Roll Hall of Fame in 1989, "Don't try to grow old gracefully, it wouldn't suit you".

Growing old, Dave seems to try hard to speak out with art, but then he always has.

He's got his feet right into "I, me, me, mine", but always so entertaining. Too much in a way, as even we old fans can get tired of it. A lil still ain't enough for Uncle Dave, and it never will.

I think that's right, in that...I mean, when I was growing up, Roth was the man in terms of rock frontmen. By the time I was hitting my teens, John Lennon was dead. The Who were pretty much defunct. Led Zeppelin was history. KISS had already gone from the biggest thing in 1977 to a shitty tv movie to disco to The Elder. The Rolling Stones were still working, but even then they were more like relics from my older siblings generation. For me back then, Classic Van Halen was happening in realtime: they weren't a band that had already broken up or had long since peaked.

Roth was the frontman of that great band. And I can still remember that band dominating and the period before every half-assed EVH wannabe was putting two hands on the fretboard, and we had to contend with a seemingly endless parade of 2nd (and 3rd and 4th) rate Roth wannabes along the likes of Vince Neil and Bret Michaels. I mean, Roth had it all. Guy could do all those karate kicks, all those barefoot on hot coals screams, gave witty interviews: wonderful all-around entertainer.

After just about 40 years of listening to the man and the music he made, I just don't have the endurance to wade through more than - at most - a ten minute contemporary interview of him. He came across as cool as fuck in the 1980s. Now? More than a little peculiar. I mean, God Bless him, you know? Just seems like one odd duck nowadays.

Nitro Express
03-09-2019, 09:01 PM
Dave was always an odd duck. It’s just creepy when a guy in his 60’s is still acting that way. At least he’s not wearing chaps with no pants on at his age.

Terry
03-09-2019, 09:10 PM
Dave was always an odd duck. It’s just creepy when a guy in his 60’s is still acting that way. At least he’s not wearing chaps with no pants on at his age.

That last charity solo gig he did...yeesh. Honestly, if THAT is representative of Roth's level of ability/quality control these days, I'm not really sure that I'd WANT to see Mike Anthony rejoin the group at this point.

Roth just comes off like he's tweaking out on his meds too much these days. Far more weird than cool, and the hipper he tries to act the more weird it comes across.

Plus, I've always considered Joe Rogan to be more than a bit of a talentless douche, so just the choice of interviewer alone was an inhibitor to me wanting to watch 2 + hours of a Roth interview in 2019.

Terry
03-09-2019, 09:13 PM

Yes, Roth DOES show some restraint re: not going assless chaps route.

Perhaps if someone could persuade him to ditch the assorted line of Peter Bogdanovich neckerchiefs...

Jérôme Frenchise
03-10-2019, 06:43 AM
Dave was spot on during the 2007-'08 tour. He's been steadily tumbling down from that peak ever since.
What a shape he was in vocally, physically and... mentally during that tour!
Then came the headset mike and the faggy cloth along with the vocal problems in 2012. Then the weird singing in 2015.
At least he isn't on the wane as far as interviews. ;)

ZahZoo
03-10-2019, 08:32 AM
Yes, Roth DOES show some restraint re: not going assless chaps route.

Perhaps if someone could persuade him to ditch the assorted line of Peter Bogdanovich neckerchiefs...

Being cool in your 60's is tricky business...

Roth is at a distinct disadvantage in life at his age... He has no wife or kids to honestly tell him his choice of clothes look fucking ridiculous and they won't be seen in public with him dressing like that...

Seshmeister
03-10-2019, 10:07 AM
So how do you manage it? :D

Terry
03-10-2019, 10:28 AM
Dave was spot on during the 2007-'08 tour. He's been steadily tumbling down from that peak ever since.
What a shape he was in vocally, physically and... mentally during that tour!
Then came the headset mike and the faggy cloth along with the vocal problems in 2012. Then the weird singing in 2015.
At least he isn't on the wane as far as interviews. ;)

Roth fucking carried that 2007/2008 tour.

He had his shit hard wired.

A 2007 Roth with a 2012 Eddie and Mike Anthony on board, now THAT would have been a reunion worth seeing.

Fairwrning
03-10-2019, 11:49 AM
Oh shit, I forgot about the headset..WTF was that about?.. that was odd shit. 2007 was a great tour..Dave sounded good, band has always sounded good..I think MA is needed to cover for Dave if they decide to do this stadium tour, but like was said above, no way he plays one song..no way..

Baby's On Fire
03-10-2019, 04:53 PM
I don't understand people trashing Dave. This was one of his most mature and coherent interviews I've ever seen.

The guy is supremely intelligent, which is why I think you dickheads are lost. You just aren't smart enough to follow him.

It makes me laugh when people analyze his life....."he's lonely"....."lost".....etc.

He could be in a coma, and still be smarter than most of you.

Guy gets more pussy in a month than have or ever will have in you entire life

Even the Joe Rogan board comments are overwhelmingly positive. People were blown away by Dave....those who know who he is as well as those who don't.

The guy is a living legend who still climbs in his 60s (including the Himilayas) and can run circles around most of you. Living the life of 50 people who each lived a full life.

I think many of you are just jealous. And you should be.

Now go give your fat ugly wives a kiss.....

Terry
03-10-2019, 05:16 PM
I don't understand people trashing Dave. This was one of his most mature and coherent interviews I've ever seen.

The guy is supremely intelligent, which is why I think you dickheads are lost. You just aren't smart enough to follow him.

It makes me laugh when people analyze his life....."he's lonely"....."lost".....etc.

Even the Joe Rogan board comments are overwhelmingly positive. People were blown away by Dave....those who know who he is as well as those who don't.

The guy is a living legend who still climbs in his 60s (including the Himilayas) and can run circles around most of you. Living the life of 50 people who each lived a full life.

Now you go and give Dave's cock a suck and take a whiff of his ass while you're down there: I figure since you uncritically idolize everything else the man does, doubtless you'll find his dick tastes great and his farts smell like roses, too. :love0001:

ZahZoo
03-10-2019, 05:23 PM
So how do you manage it? :D

LOL... keeping it simple. Nothin fancy and bold.

Nickdfresh
03-10-2019, 07:07 PM

I agree with most of your sentiments (for once). But I think Dave's pussy quota is probably in a severe downturn...

Nitro Express
03-11-2019, 03:24 AM
That last charity solo gig he did...yeesh. Honestly, if THAT is representative of Roth's level of ability/quality control these days, I'm not really sure that I'd WANT to see Mike Anthony rejoin the group at this point.

Roth just comes off like he's tweaking out on his meds too much these days. Far more weird than cool, and the hipper he tries to act the more weird it comes across.

Plus, I've always considered Joe Rogan to be more than a bit of a talentless douche, so just the choice of interviewer alone was an inhibitor to me wanting to watch 2 + hours of a Roth interview in 2019.

Roth's voice is gone. Listen to In a Simple Rhyme on WAC and then listen to a live version from the last VH tour. The latest live version is horrid because Dave is straining like hell to hit what he used to. I can't even listen to or watch it. It's called losing your voice to age and cigarettes. So I guess Van Halen can hire a new singer and just have Dave dance around the stage. Haha! Get some hot female singing and Dave can dance around and feel her up and hump her ass. Get Gary back and Dave can dry hump him on stage. In today's gay friendly society it might sell. The only problem is it might attract too many Sammy Hagar fans to the show or even Sammy himself.

Jérôme Frenchise
03-11-2019, 06:26 AM
:biggrin: So this is where we're winding up.

Nitro Express
03-11-2019, 03:11 PM
:biggrin: So this is where we're winding up.

I think so. Hey Dave still can dance pretty well and he's in great shape for his age and how he abused himself. Now Sammy and Dave can duke it out and fight over who is king of the queers. Sammy has held that position for a long time but Dave is woking hard to take it from him.

Terry
03-11-2019, 04:57 PM
Roth's voice is gone. Listen to In a Simple Rhyme on WAC and then listen to a live version from the last VH tour. The latest live version is horrid because Dave is straining like hell to hit what he used to. I can't even listen to or watch it. It's called losing your voice to age and cigarettes. So I guess Van Halen can hire a new singer and just have Dave dance around the stage. Haha! Get some hot female singing and Dave can dance around and feel her up and hump her ass. Get Gary back and Dave can dry hump him on stage. In today's gay friendly society it might sell. The only problem is it might attract too many Sammy Hagar fans to the show or even Sammy himself.

I watched three full length shows from different gigs on the 2015 tour via youtube, uploaded from audience members smartphone recordings.

Even taking into account said recordings can obviously never capture what the band/Roth sounds like live in the venue, I listened to Roth's vocals carefully: with each of the shows, he was off-key more often than he was on. Every now and then he'd sing a couple of lines that sounded serviceable to where I could see paying money to hear that live. Then he'd be back to his strained off-key yelping. A shame, because as in 2012 all the Van Halens sounded good. Some good deep cuts on that 2015 tour, too. Drop Dead Legs, Light Up The Sky, Dirty Movies...Van Halens playing them well, Roth struggling to make the lead vocals sound good.

To be sure, Roth is an intelligent guy who - assuming he is heterosexual - has gotten more pussy in a month than I have in a lifetime and has made and spent more money than I ever could have dreamed of. Unfortunately, all of those truths are unable to negate how shitty his vocals sound live these days, nor are his center stage dance moves enough to compensate for how bad his singing has become.

Doesn't give me any particular pleasure in terms of snark that this is where Roth is at vocal-wise: I'd just as soon his singing was passable, because I would have liked to have seen the band in 2015 and going forward (assuming there are more shows to come in the future). As it stands now, if what Roth has been doing in 2012, 2013, 2015 and the one-off 2018 performance is as good as it gets, it's not worth paying to hear.

Fairwrning
03-11-2019, 05:19 PM
Maybe they can pull a KI$$ and use backing vocal tracks..

Fairwrning
03-11-2019, 05:20 PM
Of course , they would have to fuck em up so nobody would catch on..

Terry
03-11-2019, 08:37 PM
Of course , they would have to fuck em up so nobody would catch on..

So noticeable it was embarrassing...like, they can't even be bothered to try anymore.

I tend to doubt the people attending the shows really give too much of a shit anymore: backing tapes for instruments and vocals re: live performances have become so ubiquitous now across the board/genres...nobody has those Milli Vanilli moments these days, because people sort of expect that performers are miming to whatever degree.

Kristy
03-11-2019, 10:23 PM
At least he retains his sense of humor. I'll give him credit for that. More than what I can say for the Brothers Assholemazov

Vinnie Velvet
03-12-2019, 12:59 PM
I watched three full length shows from different gigs on the 2015 tour via youtube, uploaded from audience members smartphone recordings.

Even taking into account said recordings can obviously never capture what the band/Roth sounds like live in the venue, I listened to Roth's vocals carefully: with each of the shows, he was off-key more often than he was on. Every now and then he'd sing a couple of lines that sounded serviceable to where I could see paying money to hear that live. Then he'd be back to his strained off-key yelping. A shame, because as in 2012 all the Van Halens sounded good. Some good deep cuts on that 2015 tour, too. Drop Dead Legs, Light Up The Sky, Dirty Movies...Van Halens playing them well, Roth struggling to make the lead vocals sound good.

To be sure, Roth is an intelligent guy who - assuming he is heterosexual - has gotten more pussy in a month than I have in a lifetime and has made and spent more money than I ever could have dreamed of. Unfortunately, all of those truths are unable to negate how shitty his vocals sound live these days, nor are his center stage dance moves enough to compensate for how bad his singing has become.

Doesn't give me any particular pleasure in terms of snark that this is where Roth is at vocal-wise: I'd just as soon his singing was passable, because I would have liked to have seen the band in 2015 and going forward (assuming there are more shows to come in the future). As it stands now, if what Roth has been doing in 2012, 2013, 2015 and the one-off 2018 performance is as good as it gets, it's not worth paying to hear.

If you watch vids from the last show of the 2015 tour (Hollywood Bowl), you can hear Dave really trying to lay off the high register. A lot of songs he sounded like he was almost talking at a low key. I'll Wait, for instance, sounded pretty good.

It seems from that show Dave knows very well the issues with his voice and seems to be trying to do the best he can under the circumstances. He even tried - like tried - his old school scream. Didn't come off that well though.

I doubt he will resort to lip synching trickery like Stanley so he will probably do what he can to keep going.

Nitro Express
03-12-2019, 04:11 PM
If you watch vids from the last show of the 2015 tour (Hollywood Bowl), you can hear Dave really trying to lay off the high register. A lot of songs he sounded like he was almost talking at a low key. I'll Wait, for instance, sounded pretty good.

It seems from that show Dave knows very well the issues with his voice and seems to be trying to do the best he can under the circumstances. He even tried - like tried - his old school scream. Didn't come off that well though.

I doubt he will resort to lip synching trickery like Stanley so he will probably do what he can to keep going.

I think there is a reason Dave got into the skin care business. His voice is shot. To be honest I hope he does well with it. There are a ton of people out there with tattoos and it's an interesting niche to focus on. It's also something different. We don't need another celebrity selling us their special line of booze or hot sauce.

Nitro Express
03-12-2019, 04:13 PM
So noticeable it was embarrassing...like, they can't even be bothered to try anymore.

I tend to doubt the people attending the shows really give too much of a shit anymore: backing tapes for instruments and vocals re: live performances have become so ubiquitous now across the board/genres...nobody has those Milli Vanilli moments these days, because people sort of expect that performers are miming to whatever degree.

Girl you know it's...girl you know it's...girl you know it's... Haha!

Nitro Express
03-12-2019, 04:15 PM
Turned the Milli Vanilli sundae into a shit sandwich immediately.

Terry
03-12-2019, 08:06 PM

Which, at this point, is all Roth really needs to do live...which is to say, just sing rather than yell. Even if some of it is in lower registers than recorded.

It's not a strategy that would necessarily work well for every single CVH song simply because not every single CVH song lends itself to that kind of lead vocal approach, but the overall effect would be much more listenable than what he has been doing for the last 7 years, which is often needless exertion/oversinging in the form of yelling...often on songs that don't even need to be yelled.

Like, in 2012 when they did Pretty Woman, Roth was yelling his way through the verses: why? That song as CVH recorded it was merely sung, and in a register that is well within Roth's capabilities these days to sing. So why yell his way through it off-key? Or DTNA.

Save the yelling for the songs that actually need it, and just sing.

Terry
03-12-2019, 08:09 PM
Turned the Milli Vanilli sundae into a shit sandwich immediately.

It WAS lovely that incident had the effect of immediately cratering their career. Then we later find out that not only were they lip synching live, but that a good chunk of the vocals on the records - including the lead vocals - were sung by ghost session singers.

So they weren't even lip synching something they had even originally sang in some cases depending on the tracks they were miming along to live.

Goddamned spandex bicycle short-wearing, dreadlocked pop phonies.

ZahZoo
03-13-2019, 06:06 AM
Which, at this point, is all Roth really needs to do live...which is to say, just sing rather than yell. Even if some of it is in lower registers than recorded.

It's not a strategy that would necessarily work well for every single CVH song simply because not every single CVH song lends itself to that kind of lead vocal approach, but the overall effect would be much more listenable than what he has been doing for the last 7 years, which is often needless exertion/oversinging in the form of yelling...often on songs that don't even need to be yelled.

Like, in 2012 when they did Pretty Woman, Roth was yelling his way through the verses: why? That song as CVH recorded it was merely sung, and in a register that is well within Roth's capabilities these days to sing. So why yell his way through it off-key? Or DTNA.

There's not that many CVH song that originally had screamin vocals to begin with...

I've done live sound engineering for many years and I've had to remind singers far too many times... Let that big sound system do it's job. Just relax, breathe and sing like the audience is sitting 6 feet in front of you in your living room.

Vinnie Velvet
03-13-2019, 02:55 PM

I agree.

I think the problem is that Dave sometimes thinks he can belt out some of the tunes like he could back in the day. Just by memory - like muscle memory. But the problem is that when he tries that - it comes out in that very high register and then he resorts to yelling to compensate. I don't think hes doing that intentionally is what I'm saying.

He just has to approach the songs differently now and be aware that he cant sing like he used to. Keep it at the low register - like what he did at the 2015 Hollywood Bowl show and he should be fine.

Fairwrning
03-13-2019, 05:35 PM
Im reminded of this...

https://youtu.be/NpJW6lFUA_g

Terry
03-13-2019, 07:42 PM
There's not that many CVH song that originally had screamin vocals to begin with...

I've done live sound engineering for many years and I've had to remind singers far too many times... Let that big sound system do it's job. Just relax, breathe and sing like the audience is sitting 6 feet in front of you in your living room.

[Roth's] trying to hard...needlessly trying too hard, and I'd say maybe the overexertion he's undertaking would be commendable or worthwhile if it were reflected in the vocals, but it has the opposite effect.

Terry
03-13-2019, 07:48 PM
I agree.

I think the problem is that Dave sometimes thinks he can belt out some of the tunes like he could back in the day. Just by memory - like muscle memory. But the problem is that when he tries that - it comes out in that very high register and then he resorts to yelling to compensate. I don't think hes doing that intentionally is what I'm saying.

He just has to approach the songs differently now and be aware that he cant sing like he used to. Keep it at the low register - like what he did at the 2015 Hollywood Bowl show and he should be fine.

Does nobody tell him how bad this strategy is in terms of the results? This has been going on for two full tours now.

I mean, again, going back to my Pretty Woman example, Roth HAS to be yelling through the verses intentionally unless he hasn't listened to the original recording for so long that he has forgotten how he sang it on Diver Down.

I mean, I'll certainly agree that Roth is making an effort in terms of exertion. However, he's busting his lungs the wrong way around for a shitty result, so all that effort is just misplaced.

Nitro Express
03-14-2019, 03:06 AM

Ha! Yeah. With 50,000 watts you don't exactly have to yell.

Jérôme Frenchise
03-14-2019, 04:30 AM
I'm curious about what exactly Dave hears on stage.

Terry
03-14-2019, 06:26 PM

I'd be more curious as to if anybody - either his personal assistants/management or the Van Halens - has had the tenacity to tell Roth this.

Or is it that Roth's assistants just say "yeah, sounds great, Dave!" and collect their checks while the Van Halens just shrug their shoulders and figure Dave's gonna do what Dave's gonna do: long as people keep paying to see the band, why take a chance on rocking the boat?

Fairwrning
03-14-2019, 07:27 PM

I think he's oblivious..he picked Tokyo as the live release...I honestly think HE thinks he sounds good.

DavidLeeNatra
03-15-2019, 07:39 AM
I find it interesting that no one got the little hint Dave dropped about his relationship with Ed when they talked about Cheech&Chong. Something like "Do they really get along or are they in the Dave and Edward Mode".

To me that translates into "we don't interact on any personal level and do our fucking business ".

silverfish
03-15-2019, 01:38 PM
Does nobody tell him how bad this strategy is in terms of the results?

I'd be more curious as to if anybody - either his personal assistants/management or the Van Halens - has had the tenacity to tell Roth this.

You don't have to look any further than the current occupant of the White House to
see that there are some jobs when NO ONE will tell you "Uh, maybe dial it back a
notch." Or if they do, you just don't listen.

DLR probably falls into that category. There is no one to set him straight. Could be
(like Drumph) he doesn't want any input or simply isn't open to advice/opinions:
"I been doing it this way all these years - you ain't telling me how to effing sing."

And, really - who'd be the one to say it to him? Certainly no one who gets a paycheck
from him. Los Bros probably couldn't care less - let him sing how he wants long as the
$$ keeps rolling in. Maybe Wolfgang tries to play diplomat and offers "Hey Dave, why
not try singing it like..." but who knows how that'd go over.

Better to face facts that we've heard the best there is from Dave (vocal-wise) and anything
going forward is going to disappoint, especially if you're using pre-1984 as a benchmark.
He's just not gonna change his style, even if it means it'll sound "sub-par". At this point VH
isn't gonna swing over any new fans. And if Dave continues to try'n sing the way he used to,
he's gonna eventually drive away the old-timers as well.

Terry
03-15-2019, 08:17 PM
I find it interesting that no one got the little hint Dave dropped about his relationship with Ed when they talked about Cheech&Chong. Something like "Do they really get along or are they in the Dave and Edward Mode".

To me that translates into "we don't interact on any personal level and do our fucking business ".

I seem to recall Eddie in 2015 saying something along the lines of Dave not wanting to be his friend. Even back in the 1980s, Dave would remark that while he was a song and dance man entertainer, Eddie based his life around music.

They're just different people, I think. Both of them have indicated they don't have much in common with each other on a personal level outside of the music they made together. Not a big shock. I've worked with plenty of people over the years that I had little to nothing in common with outside of the professional setting.

Terry
03-15-2019, 08:23 PM
You don't have to look any further than the current occupant of the White House to
see that there are some jobs when NO ONE will tell you "Uh, maybe dial it back a
notch." Or if they do, you just don't listen.

DLR probably falls into that category. There is no one to set him straight. Could be
(like Drumph) he doesn't want any input or simply isn't open to advice/opinions:
"I been doing it this way all these years - you ain't telling me how to effing sing."

And, really - who'd be the one to say it to him? Certainly no one who gets a paycheck
from him. Los Bros probably couldn't care less - let him sing how he wants long as the
$$ keeps rolling in. Maybe Wolfgang tries to play diplomat and offers "Hey Dave, why
not try singing it like..." but who knows how that'd go over.

Better to face facts that we've heard the best there is from Dave (vocal-wise) and anything
going forward is going to disappoint, especially if you're using pre-1984 as a benchmark.
He's just not gonna change his style, even if it means it'll sound "sub-par". At this point VH
isn't gonna swing over any new fans. And if Dave continues to try'n sing the way he used to,
he's gonna eventually drive away the old-timers as well.

I think all of that sounds 100% spot-on, right down to possibly Wolfgang offering advice in a diplomatic way, fully knowing that Dave's gonna do whatever Dave's gonna do in the end.

I suppose ultimately it doesn't particularly matter anymore. Even if this arrangement continues to occasionally tour for the next decade or beyond, Van Halen is over. What is there now is as good as it's gonna get, and honestly Mike Anthony rejoining now isn't gonna make much of any difference in terms of output.

Shit, Mike's had less pull/cache with the Van Halens AND Roth than Wolfie has for well over a decade: doubtless, Roth and the Van Halens think they'd be doing Anthony the favor by asking him to rejoin for a tour now. Would probably offer him peanuts/less than what Wolfie makes for said hypothetical tour, too.

ZahZoo
03-16-2019, 08:14 AM
[Roth's] trying to hard...needlessly trying too hard, and I'd say maybe the overexertion he's undertaking would be commendable or worthwhile if it were reflected in the vocals, but it has the opposite effect.

That's it. He hits the adrenaline rush of performing and audience interaction which jacks him up... also stimulates his ADHD which overrides all impulse control and he becomes a loose cannon vocally.

Add to that... his age... despite being in good shape, his muscle flexibility is diminished naturally in his diaphragm and vocal chords. Combine that with reduced lung capacity from both decades of smoking and age... the result is the strained, yelping bullshit with a total loss of throttle control mentally when performing.

As far as anyone working for him or close enough to provide constructive criticism... I don't believe even if the honest truth was presented to Dave in the most considerate manner, he'd allow the door to open in his mind to give him cause to adjust what he does when he steps on stage. Just look at the long trail of amazing people who had the wild experience of working with or for Dave... few stay on-board for any length of time. I'd suspect there's a measurable percentage who departed company involuntarily after giving the Rock Star™ a bit of friendly and deserved advice...

Terry
03-16-2019, 05:43 PM
That's it. He hits the adrenaline rush of performing and audience interaction which jacks him up... also stimulates his ADHD which overrides all impulse control and he becomes a loose cannon vocally.

Add to that... his age... despite being in good shape, his muscle flexibility is diminished naturally in his diaphragm and vocal chords. Combine that with reduced lung capacity from both decades of smoking and age... the result is the strained, yelping bullshit with a total loss of throttle control mentally when performing.

As far as anyone working for him or close enough to provide constructive criticism... I don't believe even if the honest truth was presented to Dave in the most considerate manner, he'd allow the door to open in his mind to give him cause to adjust what he does when he steps on stage. Just look at the long trail of amazing people who had the wild experience of working with or for Dave... few stay on-board for any length of time. I'd suspect there's a measurable percentage who departed company involuntarily after giving the Rock Star™ a bit of friendly and deserved advice...

I've wondered if the yelping is just an overcompensation for the things he can't do anymore, in terms of the karate kicks and leaps - along with the screaming - so he's trying to make it up by yelling.

Or, as silverfish says, maybe he just figures he knows what he's doing and it must still be working because he is still playing to 10k + venues. To be sure, plenty of critics back in the day said Roth couldn't sing worth a damn.

Maybe it's just ego bumping up against his advancing age, or he is too proud to either solicit or follow advice.

I mean, it's a shame, because while his voice is never going to be what it once was I do think changing his approach would certainly make him much more listenable than he has been. But, whatever. Dave does what he wants to do. For me, even the lean years of 1999-2006...Dave was always entertaining. Even as the physical aspects of his stage act had to be curtailed due to age, he never failed to entertain. Mostly because he managed to stay in-key more often than not and he was good for a few laughs with his inbetween song raps. These days, his onstage ad-libs and tall tales come across more weird than funny, and his vocal approach is producing a terrible result. I suppose I should enjoy the memories of the decades of pleasure his output gave me rather than lament what he has become.

Nitro Express
03-16-2019, 07:05 PM
Good analysis there ZahZoo. Dave just got old. End of story.

Nitro Express
03-16-2019, 07:18 PM
https://youtu.be/H8Mg1YexwSg

The only people I heard bash Dave were the Van Halen brothers. Michael Anthony just said he didn't like working or being around Dave. Didn't really bash him. Sammy has taken his jabs at Dave. As far as others who worked for him and later parted company and no longer need Dave for a paycheck they all have told their stories but never bashed Dave. I think it's like being in a frat house in college. It's fun for a semester or two but it starts to get tiring and you feel the need to grow up. You still have the stories of drinking a beer bong of beer out of a girl's gooch and slithering on a bare waterbed mattress covered in Hawaiian Tropic tanning oil naked with members of the girls volleyball team.

https://youtu.be/OQBz6x0odew

ZahZoo
03-17-2019, 08:50 AM
Good analysis there ZahZoo. Dave just got old. End of story.

That fact can't be denied...

But it doesn't mean he can't perform and do so well. Dave still has a remarkable singing voice when he stays in his natural register, relaxed and doesn't go into overdrive. He should play to his strengths, which could still cover a wide range of Van Halen and his solo work live.

Knowing how Dave likes to go on adventures and study cultures... he should really take a summer. Start in Memphis and immerse himself in the local blues and rock roots of that area. Then head south into the Mississippi delta... the old Juke Joints and colorful venues in tiny little delta towns. Cap that off with a trek northward to Chicago and dive into it's storied blues and R&B history... Then immediately head home, hit the studio and crank out an album from all he's learned and marinated himself in... I personally think it could produce some amazing music and story telling...

Terry
03-17-2019, 10:03 AM

But it doesn't mean he can't perform and do so well. Dave still has a remarkable singing voice when he stays in his natural register, relaxed and doesn't go into overdrive. He should play to his strengths, which could still cover a wide range of Van Halen and his solo work live.

Knowing how Dave likes to go on adventures and study cultures... he should really take a summer. Start in Memphis and immerse himself in the local blues and rock roots of that area. Then head south into the Mississippi delta... the old Juke Joints and colorful venues in tiny little delta towns. Cap that off with a trek northward to Chicago and dive into it's storied blues and R&B history... Then immediately head home, hit the studio and crank out an album from all he's learned and marinated himself in... I personally think it could produce some amazing music and story telling...

Honestly, I'd be far, far more interested in a solo release along those lines from Dave - or even a new album from Ed, Alex and Dave (I really don't give a shit who plays bass for VH at this point) - than a(nother) VH tour.

Clearly, Roth probably won't go to any great lengths in terms of effort now re: putting out a new solo release, because the reality is that Roth's last two full length solo releases didn't sell much.

But I wouldn't mind something new at this point. Even if the result isn't something I end up caring for.

Kristy
03-17-2019, 04:26 PM

Do you tell stories like this to your children for the time when you had to put down the family dog?

Nitro Express
03-17-2019, 05:16 PM
Do you tell stories like this to your children for the time when you had to put down the family dog?

I'm sure people will smear Dave's skin care products all over their bodies and praise God that there was a David Lee Roth to produce a line of products that keep the tats looking sharp and the sunscreen keeps you from getting burned and does not kill the coral reefs.

Phil theStalker
03-17-2019, 08:12 PM
:littlebong: iS Tit mmME, oR DoEs dAvE tALk LiKE hE's LiStEniNG t2O hiMsELF BeeING eNTeRTAinING/?/? aND hE's RuNniNG ouT aFF tiME!/! cLiMBiNG oUT aFF 3rd FLoOR hoTeL winDOWs t2o rrOCK cLiMB dOESN'T SOUunD sANE!/!/

ZahZoo
03-18-2019, 06:49 AM

No... story hour is reserved for rock-n-roll cartoon characters and action figures™...real life gets the simple truth.

Phil theStalker
04-12-2019, 06:49 PM
Roth's voice is gone. It's called losing your voice to age and cigarettes.

:doh:aFF dAViD sMOkES wHy dON/T I eVAH seE HiM sMOkiNG?/?

Phil theStalker
05-21-2019, 01:26 AM
:devildance:DAVE sMOkES pOT f4OR HiS bACK!/!:sockfucker::yo::clap:

Phil theStalker
05-21-2019, 02:17 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BuawO8cQWwQ
:flame::hippie: i aLWAYs hAfTA GiVE ProOF!/!!:omG::love0066:

Seshmeister
09-22-2020, 10:15 PM
I just watched this for the second time and it's a really good interview, Dave is Dave but manageable. :D

Looking at the 10 000+ YouTube comments now they are overwhelmingly super positive and it's now at 2.5 million views.

As a VH fan if you only watch one bit I would choose 1 hour 10 mins in.

Funkmonkey
09-23-2020, 02:37 AM
I just watched this for the second time and it's a really good interview, Dave is Dave but manageable. :D

Looking at the 10 000+ YouTube comments now they are overwhelmingly super positive and it's now at 2.5 million views.

As a VH fan if you only watch one bit I would choose 1 hour 10 mins in.

"Your endgame depends on how you start it."

Jetstream
09-24-2020, 12:02 AM
:littlebong: iS Tit mmME, oR DoEs dAvE tALk LiKE hE's LiStEniNG t2O hiMsELF BeeING eNTeRTAinING/?/? aND hE's RuNniNG ouT aFF tiME!/! cLiMBiNG oUT aFF 3rd FLoOR hoTeL winDOWs t2o rrOCK cLiMB dOESN'T SOUunD sANE!/!/

Or is it me or does Phil text with fucked up variations of text and symbols because he thinks it's entertaining lol

Funkmonkey
09-25-2020, 09:24 PM
It's gotta take Phil forever to type one post.