PDA

View Full Version : Annual Rock Hall Nominee Shit Show thread

Pages : [1] 2

twonabomber
10-15-2019, 08:27 AM
Nominated in the Performer category, artists included in this year's Nominee class are:

Pat Benatar
Dave Matthews Band
Depeche Mode
The Doobie Brothers
Whitney Houston
Judas Priest
Kraftwerk
MC5
Motörhead
Nine Inch Nails
The Notorious B.I.G.
Rufus featuring Chaka Khan
Todd Rundgren
Soundgarden
T. Rex
Thin Lizzy

New this year, to cast a ballot in the official Klipsch Audio Fan Vote, you can search “Rock Hall Fan Vote” or the word “Vote” with any Nominee name on Google to cast your ballot.
vote on google

You can vote once a day through January 10, 2020 and pick up to 5 Nominees per ballot. The top five artists will comprise, a “fans’ ballot” that will be tallied along with the other ballots to choose the 2020 Inductees.

The Class of 2020 Nominees includes 9 artists on the ballot for the first time: Dave Matthews Band, The Doobie Brothers, Whitney Houston, Motörhead, The Notorious B.I.G., Pat Benatar, Soundgarden, T. Rex and Thin Lizzy.

The 2020 Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony, presented by Klipsch Audio, will be held at Public Auditorium in Cleveland, Ohio on May 2, 2020 and will be preceded by Induction Week with celebratory events and the opening of the 2020 Inductee exhibit.

https://www.rockhall.com/2020-nominees

twonabomber
10-15-2019, 09:04 AM
Additionally, Jann Wenner is stepping down as Rock Hall Foundation chairman and is being replaced by John Sykes. You'll remember Sykes as one of the guys that started MTV, and more recently, as someone who destroyed rock radio as he headed up what used to be Clear Channel and is now iHeart Radio.

twonabomber
10-15-2019, 09:51 AM
Very unlikely that both Priest and Motorhead get in at the same time. That wouldn't make for a diverse enough broadcast. Same with Depeche Mode and Kraftwerk, and maybe NIN.

I'd like to see Thin Lizzy and T. Rex get in.

Rundgren, NIN, and Benatar bring the Cleveland connection. Runt has always been popular here, Reznor was in a local synth pop band, and Benatar's husband Neil Giraldo is a local.

Janet Jackson and Stevie Nicks asked for more females to be inducted but I don't think that's enough to warrant Whitney Houston's nomination. If they want a woman inductee, give it to Liz Phair.

Seshmeister
10-15-2019, 03:44 PM
Lots of dead people. I assume they don't like having too many of them as they can't play or even pay $10k a seat for dinner or whatever it is...

twonabomber
10-15-2019, 05:09 PM
I doubt Reznor would show up.

Nitro Express
10-16-2019, 02:24 AM
The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame is so Un-rock and roll. A real rocker would tell them to fuck themselves. The real hall of fame is a arena full of screaming fans and the band bringing the house down and people taking three days to recover from what they were subjected to.

Jérôme Frenchise
10-17-2019, 01:02 PM
I have the old Kraftwerk on vinyle for the fun, but there's nothing rock 'n' roll in there.

silverfish
02-02-2022, 12:24 PM
2022 Nominees:

Beck
Pat Benatar - 2nd nom
Kate Bush - 3rd nom
Devo - 3rd nom
Duran Duran
Eminem - 1st time eligible
Eurythmics - 3rd nom
Judas Priest - 3rd nom
Fela Kuti - 2nd nom
MC5 - 6th nom
New York Dolls - 3rd nom
Dolly Parton
Rage Against the Machine - 4th nom
Lionel Richie
Carly Simon
A Tribe Called Quest
Dionne Warwick - 2nd nom

Fan vote leaderboard - https://vote.rockhall.com/en/results/

Kristy
02-02-2022, 12:28 PM
So...

The Eurythmics
Dolly (as a token winner) but shes not rock 'n' roll which only goes to show how much of a fucking joke this all is.
Pat Banal Tard (maybe)
Judas Pringels Chips (another limey token)
Duran Durdumb

FORD
02-02-2022, 12:42 PM
Dolly Parton is a goddamned legend, but she's not remotely rock n roll. Same for Dionne Warwick. Thank fuck it wasn't Whitney Houston.... she's not only not rock n roll, she's the antithesis of rock n roll. Her music was so bland it made Pat Boone look like punk rock by comparison.

Lionel Richie??? For "BrickHouse" & "Easy Like Sunday Morning" maybe. NOT for anything he did after he left the Commodores.

Kristy
02-02-2022, 12:47 PM
Horse Hockey. Whitney Houston did more cocaine than Rick James, Stevie Nicks and the Eagles combined. She used to stop her shows in mid-song because she was hallucinating seeing "bugs" on stage. Now, that's rock 'n' roll.

Oh, and Russell Wilson is coming to Denvoid

FORD
02-02-2022, 12:49 PM
FORD's votes: Pat Benatar, Judas Priest, MC5, Devo, New York Dolls

Kristy
02-02-2022, 01:03 PM
There was some F A T bald fuck who was either a Rogan or Stern sycophant claiming he dropped so much acid that he had a "spiritual awakening" by listening to the guitar playing of Neil Giraldo (and David Gilmour) while tripping. Horsetooth Pat herself didn't do bad songs - they certainly were less irritating when she left MTV behind her and moved on to non-commercial shores. Problem was she was little dynamic range in her voice and Neil's bombastic soloing covered up for it. Best song she ever did was Painted Desert. Neil's guitar playing shines here.

https://youtu.be/mRENrqE1HAc

Seshmeister
02-02-2022, 08:34 PM
Her music was so bland it made Pat Boone look like punk rock by comparison.

Scary that Boone's In a 'Metal Mood: No More Mr. Nice Guy' is now 25 years old so he is now eligible under that persona...

FORD
02-02-2022, 08:37 PM
The same people that nominated Whitney Houston would have already nominated Boone for his white bread cover versions of songs from the 1950s....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fehS9PZq8yI

Von Halen
02-03-2022, 08:06 AM
A real rocker would tell them to fuck themselves.

Ted Nugent recently did just that. Of course, he's being labled as "racist" because he bitched about some rapper not belonging.

Kristy
02-03-2022, 10:15 AM
I bet Ted dropped out because The Hall of Fame would not supply him with a 14 year-old girl

Seshmeister
02-03-2022, 10:52 AM
Ted Nugent recently did just that. Of course, he's being labled as "racist" because he bitched about some rapper not belonging.

I dunno I think people were maybe wondering if he was a little bit racist back when he was calling Obama a subhman mongrel and a chimpanzee... :)

Von Halen
02-03-2022, 12:22 PM
I dunno I think people were maybe wondering if he was a little bit racist back when he was calling Obama a subhman mongrel and a chimpanzee... :)

Well, that's exactly what NObama is.

FORD
02-03-2022, 01:23 PM
Obama was merely a moderate Republican. He said so himself....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=677elaGIsKU

The guy who illegally occupied the White House before him was the chimpanzee.

Seshmeister
02-03-2022, 11:01 PM
Well, that's exactly what NObama is.

Well yeah I get that. You are my friend and I really fucking disagree with some of your opinions about politics but ok we will debate that.

Nugent is (I hope) way more intolerant than you but the difference is he is dishonest about it. He pretends not to be when it may affect his career.

For such a macho fuck he is a coward and always has been.

twonabomber
05-04-2022, 10:12 AM
The Rock & Roll Hall of Fame has officially announced this year’s inductees: Eminem, Dolly Parton, Duran Duran, Lionel Richie, Pat Benatar, Eurythmics, and Carly Simon will join the class of 2022 in the Performers category.

Additionally, Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis and Judas Priest will receive the Musical Excellence Award; Harry Belafonte and Elizabeth Cotten will be given the Early Influence Award; and attorney Allen Grubman, record executive/producer Jimmy Iovine, and R&B singer/Sugar Hill Records founder Sylvia Robinson will be presented with the Ahmet Ertegun Award.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/eminem-dolly-parton-duran-duran-lionel-richie-rock-roll-hall-of-fame-2022-1346913/

The New Waver in me is pleased to see Duran Duran get in. The original Fab Five and Warren Cuccurullo. Meh to Parton and Ritchie. Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis is probably the closest The Time will get.

Kind of shitty that Priest gets the musical excellence award. Kind of an "almost good enough" thing.

FORD
05-04-2022, 11:21 AM
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/uploads24/cg4ff60dc2d5c1c1436908595.jpg
https://www.cosgan.de/images/smilie/boese/v0050.gif

Nitro Express
05-04-2022, 12:12 PM
The real rock and roll hall of fame is do you have any fans? Filling seats is where it’s at.

Nitro Express
05-04-2022, 12:19 PM
Obama was merely a moderate Republican. He said so himself....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=677elaGIsKU

The guy who illegally occupied the White House before him was the chimpanzee.

I call it the establishment. There really wasn’t much difference between the Bush clan, the Clinton’s and the Obama’s. It’s all about selling out to the multinational corporations or more accurately the biggest share holders. You have a cast of carefully picked characters that tell people what they want to hear but then do what their owners want which simply is more for them and less for us. If your politicians are getting very rich while in office they aren’t serving you.

Nitro Express
05-04-2022, 12:25 PM
Anyways we seem to have a low IQ public who’s easily duped so things aren’t going to change. They might finally manage to piss off enough people where you get a revolution but good luck getting that from an obese population addicted to distractions.

Nitro Express
05-04-2022, 12:31 PM

Ted is crazy like a fox. He understands it’s about getting attention and he’s gotten rich off of playing that game. Marketing 101. Ted has done well. You appeal to a niche market. If he played Detroit tomorrow the arena would be packed and he’s not going to bring anything new but the guy still can play very well. If everyone loved Ted Nugent nobody would care about Ted Nugent but he gets people to talk about him constantly. He doesn’t disappear and that right there is the brilliance of the motor city madman.

Terry
05-04-2022, 08:08 PM
Ted is crazy like a fox. He understands it’s about getting attention and he’s gotten rich off of playing that game. Marketing 101. Ted has done well. You appeal to a niche market. If he played Detroit tomorrow the arena would be packed and he’s not going to bring anything new but the guy still can play very well. If everyone loved Ted Nugent nobody would care about Ted Nugent but he gets people to talk about him constantly. He doesn’t disappear and that right there is the brilliance of the motor city madman.

Really?

Honestly, I thought that "Crazy Ted Nugent" cache was negated when Nugent pussied out by admitting covid was something people should take seriously and virtually apologizing after the Las Vegas mass shooting for how he had ratcheted up the gun nutter factor with his decades of irresponsible rhetoric.

Whatever. The nitwits who adore Nugent will doubtless forget those two things.

Batshit gun-stroking pedophile.

Nickdfresh
05-04-2022, 09:52 PM
Well yeah I get that. You are my friend and I really fucking disagree with some of your opinions about politics but ok we will debate that.

Nugent is (I hope) way more intolerant than you but the difference is he is dishonest about it. He pretends not to be when it may affect his career.

For such a macho fuck he is a coward and always has been.

Funny but Joan Jett agrees with you:
“He’s not a tough guy," she continued. "He plays tough guy, but this is the guy who shit his pants – literally – so he didn’t have to go in the Army... So this, is the tough guy who’s running around America, stirring things up against each other.”

Read More: Joan Jett Fires Back at Ted Nugent - His Punishment Is Being Him | https://loudwire.com/joan-jett-ted-nugent-punishment-being-ted-nugent/?utm_source=tsmclip&utm_medium=referral

https://loudwire.com/joan-jett-ted-nugent-punishment-being-ted-nugent/

Nitro Express
05-04-2022, 10:56 PM
Really?

Honestly, I thought that "Crazy Ted Nugent" cache was negated when Nugent pussied out by admitting covid was something people should take seriously and virtually apologizing after the Las Vegas mass shooting for how he had ratcheted up the gun nutter factor with his decades of irresponsible rhetoric.

Whatever. The nitwits who adore Nugent will doubtless forget those two things.

Batshit gun-stroking pedophile.

Life ain’t fair. Both Ted and Sammy Hagar are living the good life. They might be lovers.

Nitro Express
05-04-2022, 11:04 PM
I think the weirdest Ted story I heard was from Eddie Kramer the famous sound engineer. Ted stripped butt naked in the recording studio thinking his music would be more pure if he did. I’ve always maintained the loose and unscrewed types who never could keep a regular job find their way into rock and roll. The ones with the right gimmicks and talent manage to draw an audience. The real shrewd ones stay around for decades and die rich. Like I said. Crazy like a fox.

Nitro Express
05-04-2022, 11:13 PM
I hate these who’s the better guitar player comparisons. I think Double Live Gonzo is one of the best live rock and roll albums ever. That’s Ted’s high point. Joan Jett is a solid rock and roller. I’ve never seen her live but she had some great songs and what’s cool about her is she made her solo career out of refusing to quit. Nobody wanted to give her a deal.

For me it’s about songs more than who’s the better guitar wanker and a person’s politics means nothing to me, because I’m looking at the art. Both Joan Jett and Ted Nugent are still around. Both can still put on a good show.

FORD
05-05-2022, 12:13 AM
Life ain’t fair. Both Ted and Sammy Hagar are living the good life. They might be lovers.

With pictures like this, it's not out of the question....

https://media.gettyimages.com/photos/rock-and-roll-stars-sammy-hagar-and-ted-nugent-speak-at-the-grand-picture-id84001799?s=612x612

Nitro Express
05-05-2022, 05:35 AM
You know Sam is the female in the relationship. I’m amazed Sam can sit down and drive a car.

Terry
05-05-2022, 07:44 PM
I hate these who’s the better guitar player comparisons. I think Double Live Gonzo is one of the best live rock and roll albums ever. That’s Ted’s high point. Joan Jett is a solid rock and roller. I’ve never seen her live but she had some great songs and what’s cool about her is she made her solo career out of refusing to quit. Nobody wanted to give her a deal.

For me it’s about songs more than who’s the better guitar wanker and a person’s politics means nothing to me, because I’m looking at the art. Both Joan Jett and Ted Nugent are still around. Both can still put on a good show.

Like, growing up, the first few years I started playing guitar, me and my two other buds who started playing at the same time...we were 12-13 years old...early 1980s...back then, speed and flash guitar was king, right?

Every other week it was:

Hey, you figured out THIS Eddie Van Halen lick yet?
Hey, have you heard Warren DeMartini?
Hey, have you heard George Lynch?
Hey, have you heard about Steve Vai?
Hey, did you fucking hear Yngwie Malmsteen? Man, he's, like, the best EVER!!

Back then, it was cool to show off how fast you could play, or how well you could cop some famous players licks. You know...greasy kids stuff.

Eventually, it comes down to the songs in the end. At least for me, THAT is what resonates years and years down the line. By the same token, a lot of the better known 1980s flash guitar players...I can't even listen to a lot of that stuff now, because in all too many cases the songs were half-assed and little more than a coat hanger to hang (yet another) bitchin', everything-and-the-kitchen-sink guitar solo on.

Now, there are ten bazillion axe wankers posting youtube clips of them playing someone else's stuff. It's beyond boring.

Some of my favorite stuff continues to include AC/DC, The Ramones, Black Sabbath, The Rolling Stones...all pretty elemental stuff in terms of technique...but it all still resonates like a motherfucker to my ears.

Fairwrning
05-05-2022, 07:54 PM
Horse Hockey. Whitney Houston did more cocaine than Rick James, Stevie Nicks and the Eagles combined. She used to stop her shows in mid-song because she was hallucinating seeing "bugs" on stage. Now, that's rock 'n' roll.

I agree about the coke but thats about it..Doobies/Benatar/Priest/Motorhead/Lizzy....Thats RNR...Id vote for T Rex also

FORD
05-05-2022, 08:38 PM
Like, growing up, the first few years I started playing guitar, me and my two other buds who started playing at the same time...we were 12-13 years old...early 1980s...back then, speed and flash guitar was king, right?

Every other week it was:

Hey, you figured out THIS Eddie Van Halen lick yet?
Hey, have you heard Warren DeMartini?
Hey, have you heard George Lynch?
Hey, have you heard about Steve Vai?
Hey, did you fucking hear Yngwie Malmsteen? Man, he's, like, the best EVER!!

Back then, it was cool to show off how fast you could play, or how well you could cop some famous players licks. You know...greasy kids stuff.

Eventually, it comes down to the songs in the end. At least for me, THAT is what resonates years and years down the line. By the same token, a lot of the better known 1980s flash guitar players...I can't even listen to a lot of that stuff now, because in all too many cases the songs were half-assed and little more than a coat hanger to hang (yet another) bitchin', everything-and-the-kitchen-sink guitar solo on.

Now, there are ten bazillion axe wankers posting youtube clips of them playing someone else's stuff. It's beyond boring.

Some of my favorite stuff continues to include AC/DC, The Ramones, Black Sabbath, The Rolling Stones...all pretty elemental stuff in terms of technique...but it all still resonates like a motherfucker to my ears.

In the long run, it comes down to whether you have a sound people will recognize and remember. You know when it's Keef, or Angus, or Iommi, or even Johnny Ramone within 2 seconds. I couldn't pick a YingYang Egosteen riff out of thin air and identify it as him, and I'd probably only instantly recognize George Lynch if Don Dokken was whining on top of it. Steve Vai?? shit I had that Public Image album with him playing on it for years before I even knew it was him... though I did know it sounded good, whoever it was (the album had no credits on it at all, probably part of the "generic" theme of the packaging)

Occasionally you get somebody who is technically brilliant AND has that unmistakable sound. Eddie certainly fits that description, as did Jimi Hendrix. I'd put Randy Rhoads in that camp too, except we tragically never got to see his full potential.

Nitro Express
05-06-2022, 02:16 AM
It’s about entertainment and sure the music is an important element but it’s not the whole recipe. It’s the overall presentation and the bands and entertainers who are good at producing the whole package well and bringing it are the ones who have lot’s of success and stick around.

Nitro Express
05-06-2022, 02:31 AM
In the long run, it comes down to whether you have a sound people will recognize and remember. You know when it's Keef, or Angus, or Iommi, or even Johnny Ramone within 2 seconds. I couldn't pick a YingYang Egosteen riff out of thin air and identify it as him, and I'd probably only instantly recognize George Lynch if Don Dokken was whining on top of it. Steve Vai?? shit I had that Public Image album with him playing on it for years before I even knew it was him... though I did know it sounded good, whoever it was (the album had no credits on it at all, probably part of the "generic" theme of the packaging)

Occasionally you get somebody who is technically brilliant AND has that unmistakable sound. Eddie certainly fits that description, as did Jimi Hendrix. I'd put Randy Rhoads in that camp too, except we tragically never got to see his full potential.

Interesting your example of tone masters all use simple rigs. Keef uses tweed Fender Twins and most the others use Marshall’s. AC/DC take a amp repair guy on the road with them and use a power conditioner to make sure the power going to the amps is consistent. It’s really about having the basics and having that set up well. One sound engineer told me the less you have in your signal chain the better it’s going to sound. I don’t like a lot of sound processing. I think if you have a great sounding guitar, a properly running amp (tube amps can be temperamental) and a great sounding speaker cab (very important) you have most of what equipment is going to do for you. One reason I like a separate head and cab is I change my cabs to get different tones. Red Backs in an open 2x12 sound different than 25 watt greenbacks in a sealed 4x12.

Nitro Express
05-06-2022, 02:36 AM
Also only so much will go through a PA system. Players that really process their sound through a bunch of effects only a fraction of that is going to come out the PA speakers. So a basic decent tone is what you want live. People fuck with their sound too much. Usually huge gear-heads are not the best players. They are into gear more than playing.

Terry
05-06-2022, 05:38 AM

The thing about Eddie and Hendrix...they had technique/technical ability, but it's still their songs that resonate.

Randy Rhoads was a fine player. If I'm being frank, I really didn't much care for the tunes he was coming up with when he was in Quiet Riot, thus while I still think those first two Ozzy solo albums are fantastic no small part of that probably included what Daisley was contributing as well. But...yeah, even though Rhoads had kicked around for several years with Quiet Riot then a couple with Ozzy, it still felt like he was just getting started when he died in terms of realizing his potential. Rhoads, along with Van Halen, certainly demonstrated in the early 1980s that rock guitar didn't have to be endless blues pentatonic scales.

Terry
05-06-2022, 06:03 AM
Also only so much will go through a PA system. Players that really process their sound through a bunch of effects only a fraction of that is going to come out the PA speakers. So a basic decent tone is what you want live. People fuck with their sound too much. Usually huge gear-heads are not the best players. They are into gear more than playing.

I will say that in terms of gear re: pedals/effects, I'd have to agree. I've only ever owned stomp box pedals because I never reached the point with any of the amateur bands I was playing with decades ago where I needed rack mounted gear - and in the 1980s/early 1990s that gear was a bit more than I could afford in terms of needing it - but I've always noticed at louder volumes the effects are less...effective, for lack of a better word. The nuance they bring gets lessened at louder volumes. You can sort of over-process the sound of the instrument through too much gear to the point where it comes out sounding like mush. Really, the only effect box I used that wasn't dampened at louder volumes was a delay pedal.

FORD
05-06-2022, 11:46 AM
There's a reason those Quiet Riot albums still haven't been released officially. Randy sounds great, but that's the only thing good about them. DuBrow was a horrible songwriter. He made Hagar look like Shakespeare by comparison.

FORD
05-06-2022, 03:26 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w25ROYcmak8

Seshmeister
05-06-2022, 07:35 PM
There's a reason those Quiet Riot albums still haven't been released officially. Randy sounds great, but that's the only thing good about them. DuBrow was a horrible songwriter. He made Hagar look like Shakespeare by comparison.

It's no coincidence that their big hit was a cover and then they tried to repeat the trick with "Mama Weer All Crazee Now"

A couple of times over the years I've thought I must go back and listen to early RR stuff but you are right the songs are so meh it's hard to get too interested. Also I do think his playing took a jump between QR and Blizzard of Oz and then again between BOZ and Diary of a Madman - he was getting better and better which makes his death a real 'what if'.

Seshmeister
05-06-2022, 08:58 PM
It's a weird story as there is a list of top 100 guitarists on Rolling Stone and it seems to have been chosen mainly by a bunch of famous guitarists, a while ago in 2015 and Joan Jett isn't on the list.

It's also a kind of weird list as these things always are, if there is any logic to it then it's more about influence and songs than technical ability.

Ed comes in at 8.

On these lists there are always at least a dozen examples where you can say under no fucking criteria can guy A be 20 places better than guy B I don't care what you are judging it on and this one is no exception.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-lists/100-greatest-guitarists-153675/duane-allman-159154/

Nitro Express
05-07-2022, 03:30 PM

Ha! Ha! Oh man, lower than Hagar. Well I saw the Riot live a few times and I enjoyed it but I never bought an album. DuBrow was a decent frontman and had good musicians but you are right, the songwriting lacked. But they did ok. People love Bang Your Head when you play it.

Nitro Express
05-07-2022, 04:00 PM
I will say that in terms of gear re: pedals/effects, I'd have to agree. I've only ever owned stomp box pedals because I never reached the point with any of the amateur bands I was playing with decades ago where I needed rack mounted gear - and in the 1980s/early 1990s that gear was a bit more than I could afford in terms of needing it - but I've always noticed at louder volumes the effects are less...effective, for lack of a better word. The nuance they bring gets lessened at louder volumes. You can sort of over-process the sound of the instrument through too much gear to the point where it comes out sounding like mush. Really, the only effect box I used that wasn't dampened at louder volumes was a delay pedal.

If the amp is the base of your sound go with less effects but some people use effects as a preamp. Prince did this and got a good sound. I think for fly out gigs small multiple effects boxes or small pedal boards are the go to thing but a lot of players still like a real amp.

For basic rock you just don’t want to over process the sound because it’s counter productive. If you are going for an over processed sound on purpose that’s a different story.

Nitro Express
05-07-2022, 04:11 PM
Amazing we even care about bands that played almost a half century ago.

FORD
05-07-2022, 05:22 PM
It's no coincidence that their big hit was a cover and then they tried to repeat the trick with "Mama Weer All Crazee Now"

A couple of times over the years I've thought I must go back and listen to early RR stuff but you are right the songs are so meh it's hard to get too interested. Also I do think his playing took a jump between QR and Blizzard of Oz and then again between BOZ and Diary of a Madman - he was getting better and better which makes his death a real 'what if'.

It seems that working with Bob Daisley did a lot for Randy's songwriting which is why the songs are so much better on the Ozzy records. As far as his playing, Randy knew he was good, but he wanted to be better. If I remember correctly, he was still taking lessons while working with Ozzy, though I can't imagine what a guitar teacher could have taught him by that point. Classical stuff, probably... since he seemed to be moving in that direction.

Terry
05-07-2022, 06:49 PM

That Randy was a fine player was obviously evident on those two Quiet Riot albums just in terms of the technical ability he displayed, but...like, I had been aware in the early 1980s after Quiet Riot broke big that Rhoads had played in Quiet Riot and had recorded a couple of albums with them before joining up with Ozzy. I was aware that Slick Black Cadillac from Metal Health was one of the tunes Quiet Riot had been playing when Rhoads was in the band, and I had thought Slick Black Cadillac was one of the better tunes on Metal Health that wasn't the title track or Cum On Feel The Noize. So, I had assumed those two Rhoads QR albums were full of tunes on that level of Slick Black Cadillac.

But, if memory serves those two Rhoads QR albums were only issued in Japan, and subsequently it wasn't until the late 1990s that I heard them when somebody posted them online for free in the then-early days of file sharing...and [the albums] weren't particularly good: it's as you say, that outside of hearing Rhoads play there wasn't anything on either of the records to recommend them, song-wise.

Terry
05-07-2022, 07:02 PM
Ha! Ha! Oh man, lower than Hagar. Well I saw the Riot live a few times and I enjoyed it but I never bought an album. DuBrow was a decent frontman and had good musicians but you are right, the songwriting lacked. But they did ok. People love Bang Your Head when you play it.

Quiet Riot were okay. I remember liking them well enough in 1983 when Bang Your Head and Cum On Feel The Noize were on heavy rotation on MTV...then again, I was 13 years old, so what the fuck did I know?

Metal Health as an album overall was good. I mean, the band had been kicking around for close to a decade, and they...they had their moment, you know? I do remember the first concert my and my friends were allowed to attend by ourselves unchaperoned was Quiet Riot opening for Black Sabbath on the Born Again tour, and I remember being underwhelmed by Quiet Riot as a live act. And even watching Quiet Riot at the US Festival or...was it Dortmund in 1983, I think?...they weren't really much better than okay as a live act even at their zenith.

Their second album, Condition Critical, was a letdown because they just played it too safe in trying to make Metal Health 2, but I can't blame them for playing it safe in that it took them a long time to make it big and they stuck with a formula they thought would work.

They were a decent slab of meathead/straight-up early 1980s American commercial hard rock.

Terry
05-07-2022, 07:07 PM
Amazing we even care about bands that played almost a half century ago.

It's...nostalgia, you know?

I don't really hear much musically these days rock-wise even worth listening to, much less talking about...but I'm happy being an old codger, lamenting the present and overhyping the past.

I will say the stuff I do enjoy coming out these days tends to be pop r&b synth rap type stuff, ideally with mildly smutty lyrics sung by black girls. There was this sort of recent dance hit called Get Lucky which I liked...I liked that Adore song by Harry Styles, too.

Most of the rock bands I see these days getting press or play come off like posers to my ears.

Nitro Express
05-07-2022, 07:18 PM
Quiet Riot were okay. I remember liking them well enough in 1983 when Bang Your Head and Cum On Feel The Noize were on heavy rotation on MTV...then again, I was 13 years old, so what the fuck did I know?

Metal Health as an album overall was good. I mean, the band had been kicking around for close to a decade, and they...they had their moment, you know? I do remember the first concert my and my friends were allowed to attend by ourselves unchaperoned was Quiet Riot opening for Black Sabbath on the Born Again tour, and I remember being underwhelmed by Quiet Riot as a live act. And even watching Quiet Riot at the US Festival or...was it Dortmund in 1983, I think?...they weren't really much better than okay as a live act even at their zenith.

Their second album, Condition Critical, was a letdown because they just played it too safe in trying to make Metal Health 2, but I can't blame them for playing it safe in that it took them a long time to make it big and they stuck with a formula they thought would work.

They were a decent slab of meathead/straight-up early 1980s American commercial hard rock.

I saw the Quiet Riot at the 83 US Festival. What I remember for how big it was the sound was really good. I always liked Carlos Carvezo's guitar playing. He had his signature sound and some good riffs. But QR sounded really good that day.

Nitro Express
05-07-2022, 07:31 PM
It's...nostalgia, you know?

I don't really hear much musically these days rock-wise even worth listening to, much less talking about...but I'm happy being an old codger, lamenting the present and overhyping the past.

I will say the stuff I do enjoy coming out these days tends to be pop r&b synth rap type stuff, ideally with mildly smutty lyrics sung by black girls. There was this sort of recent dance hit called Get Lucky which I liked...I liked that Adore song by Harry Styles, too.

Most of the rock bands I see these days getting press or play come off like posers to my ears.

The stuff we grew up on was motivated by getting a record deal. That motivation was killed by streaming music. But you used to be able to make some good money having a dance band. My dad had one in the late 1940's and he played clarinet and sax and they played dances. One guy told me he was making more money playing school dances in the NYC area than his dad was making as an engineer at Grumman. So knowing you can make a living at it is motivation to stick with it and get good.

In the 80's the whole thing was about playing clubs and getting a record deal. Playing dances was over because they had PA systems but you could play clubs. In 2022 where do you play? You aren't going to play dances, that's a DJ world now. Maybe some clubs but that isn't what it was and that's become a DJ world too. So it's more difficult to make money playing and you time is worth something. There is no music business and nobody is listening to radio stations like they used to.

The world has changed and we can be more selective than ever. People are in their own little worlds on their mobile devices and do less together. When you only had three network stations and a few radio stations people were more connected. You could become the big thing easier.

Nitro Express
05-07-2022, 07:36 PM
In the music business that used to be a four year run was about average for the average act that did well. After four years the band either self-destructed or had shot it's entire creative load. It was rare to have a band who could keep it together and cum and cum and cum again for years.

Seshmeister
05-07-2022, 08:43 PM
It seems that working with Bob Daisley did a lot for Randy's songwriting which is why the songs are so much better on the Ozzy records.

Ozzy is basically just the singer on Bob Daisley's solo project.

He has stretched 2 years of Bob Daisley's work into a 40 year career it's astonishing.

It's also ironic that his cunt of a wife who has been his puppet master for so long has now had so much surgery she looks like a muppet.

Terry
05-07-2022, 08:47 PM
I saw the Quiet Riot at the 83 US Festival. What I remember for how big it was the sound was really good. I always liked Carlos Carvezo's guitar playing. He had his signature sound and some good riffs. But QR sounded really good that day.

Cavazo was decent.

I will say that with a tune like Cum On Feel The Noize, Cavazo constructed - or improvised, or however the solo was done (if he winged it or it was a composite or whatever) - a guitar solo that was quite well done, in terms of being both memorable and flashy.

Terry
05-07-2022, 08:54 PM
The stuff we grew up on was motivated by getting a record deal. That motivation was killed by streaming music. But you used to be able to make some good money having a dance band. My dad had one in the late 1940's and he played clarinet and sax and they played dances. One guy told me he was making more money playing school dances in the NYC area than his dad was making as an engineer at Grumman. So knowing you can make a living at it is motivation to stick with it and get good.

In the 80's the whole thing was about playing clubs and getting a record deal. Playing dances was over because they had PA systems but you could play clubs. In 2022 where do you play? You aren't going to play dances, that's a DJ world now. Maybe some clubs but that isn't what it was and that's become a DJ world too. So it's more difficult to make money playing and you time is worth something. There is no music business and nobody is listening to radio stations like they used to.

The world has changed and we can be more selective than ever. People are in their own little worlds on their mobile devices and do less together. When you only had three network stations and a few radio stations people were more connected. You could become the big thing easier.

I noticed when I moved to Tampa in 2000 that there was no local rock scene in terms of clubs where local rock bands were playing. It was pretty much all dance clubs. THAT was a bit of a culture shock vs. Rhode Island in the 1980s/1990s, where even that little pissant state had a pretty vibrant local scene with a dozen decent-sized club venues bands could play at. So, if anything, I figured a city the size of Tampa would have even MORE local venues and MORE local bands to go and see.: it was a bit of a shock to find out that wasn't the case. Then again, by 2000 the rock genre was sort of fading...

Sometimes, I'd just like to go to a club and see a local band playing...about the closest I can get to that now is some beach bar where a guy gets up with an acoustic guitar and plays Margaritaville-type tunes (THOSE fuckers are LESS than a dime a dozen down here).

Terry
05-07-2022, 08:57 PM
Ozzy is basically just the singer on Bob Daisley's solo project.

He has stretched 2 years of Bob Daisley's work into a 40 year career it's astonishing.

It's also ironic that his cunt of a wife who has been his puppet master for so long has now had so much surgery she looks like a muppet.

Really, the only Ozzy stuff I can be bothered with is the stuff either Butler or Daisley were writing for him. Basically the Sabbath stuff and Ozzy's first two albums: pretty much the rest of Ozzy's career is disposable to me. Several of the Jake E. Lee/Zakk Wylde tunes were good, but really by the time No More Tears rolled around it was over for me.

Seshmeister
05-07-2022, 09:24 PM
Several of the Jake E. Lee/Zakk Wylde tunes were good, but really by the time No More Tears rolled around it was over for me.

No More Tears also written by Daisley.

I love Jake E Lee's guitar playing but The Ultimate Sin song writing is not great IMHO.

The under achievement of Ozzy is absolutely amazingly spectacular,

Fucking mediocre shit for 40 years while his cunt wife hand picks all those guys year after year after year, She is shit at her job and a terrible person who got fucking insanely lucky,

They just got insanely fucking lucky with Randy who was found by someone else

i say that as a fan. :D

Sharon Osbourne is like someone who won the fucking lottery and then went back to the kiosk and grabbed the $1 she paid for the ticket and then took a shit on the counter.

I can't remember a time when I've been less than super happy that someone has recovered from cancer.

Nitro Express
05-08-2022, 09:54 AM
I noticed when I moved to Tampa in 2000 that there was no local rock scene in terms of clubs where local rock bands were playing. It was pretty much all dance clubs. THAT was a bit of a culture shock vs. Rhode Island in the 1980s/1990s, where even that little pissant state had a pretty vibrant local scene with a dozen decent-sized club venues bands could play at. So, if anything, I figured a city the size of Tampa would have even MORE local venues and MORE local bands to go and see.: it was a bit of a shock to find out that wasn't the case. Then again, by 2000 the rock genre was sort of fading...

Sometimes, I'd just like to go to a club and see a local band playing...about the closest I can get to that now is some beach bar where a guy gets up with an acoustic guitar and plays Margaritaville-type tunes (THOSE fuckers are LESS than a dime a dozen down here).

Rhode Island was a mobbed up state and the mob loved it’s clubs. The whole Sunset Strip thing was basically the Chicago mob operating in LA and then of course Las Vegas grew out of that dynamic. We can thank the mob for being a step stone for our entertainment. Ha! Ha!

Nitro Express
05-08-2022, 10:00 AM
Cavazo was decent.

I will say that with a tune like Cum On Feel The Noize, Cavazo constructed - or improvised, or however the solo was done (if he winged it or it was a composite or whatever) - a guitar solo that was quite well done, in terms of being both memorable and flashy.

I can tell it’s Carlos. He had his own vibe. He had a few Jose Arredondo modded Marshall’s which basically had clipping diodes in the preamp. People thought Ed used them but he never did but Carlos got the best sound out of those modded amps.

Nitro Express
05-08-2022, 10:05 AM
I think maybe rock and roll is going where big band did. You can still go see a Glenn Miller type thing at a Performing Arts center somewhere. You can still buy the old recordings but it’s not the big mainstream thing it was. Old people loved it because of the nostalgia.

Now we are the old people getting nostalgic for our rock and roll and the kids today have their thing which was not on the menu when we were growing up.

Seshmeister
05-08-2022, 06:06 PM
Well a YouTube guitar guy I subscribe to has put up an unusually strong response to the Nuge BS and I have to say I agree with every fucking word...

https://youtu.be/ZR76be3Wrk0

Terry
05-08-2022, 06:28 PM
No More Tears also written by Daisley.

I love Jake E Lee's guitar playing but The Ultimate Sin song writing is not great IMHO.

The under achievement of Ozzy is absolutely amazingly spectacular,

Fucking mediocre shit for 40 years while his cunt wife hand picks all those guys year after year after year, She is shit at her job and a terrible person who got fucking insanely lucky,

They just got insanely fucking lucky with Randy who was found by someone else

i say that as a fan. :D

Sharon Osbourne is like someone who won the fucking lottery and then went back to the kiosk and grabbed the $1 she paid for the ticket and then took a shit on the counter.

I can't remember a time when I've been less than super happy that someone has recovered from cancer.

I mean, I can't argue with Sharon Osbourne's approach to...what...monetizing the Ozzy name and thus keeping Ozzy as a brand far more lucrative from 2000 on than it would have been otherwise. Didn't much care for The Osbournes tv show, and Sharon Osbourne as a celebrity personality isn't my cup of tea, but whatever.

I thought Jake E. Lee was shit-hot coming out of the gate with Ozzy. I mean, Bark At The Moon as a lead-off single was a solid rock tune. Didn't much care for The Ultimate Sin stuff then or now. Thought No Rest For The Wicked had some great stuff on it. No More Tears as a track was good. Didn't much care for Mama I'm Coming Home or Road To Nowhere.

The first two Ozzy solo albums just continue to hold up for me...still resonate after all these years.

Terry
05-08-2022, 06:31 PM
Rhode Island was a mobbed up state and the mob loved it’s clubs. The whole Sunset Strip thing was basically the Chicago mob operating in LA and then of course Las Vegas grew out of that dynamic. We can thank the mob for being a step stone for our entertainment. Ha! Ha!

Rhode Island certainly was mobbed up back in the day. There are still remnants of the mob operating, but nowhere near what it was. It was common knowledge back in the 1980s and 1990s that for $5k paid to the right person, you could get a state job and basically be set for life, and for $10k to the right person you could get a no-show state job where you didn't even have to turn up to work and would still collect a weekly paycheck and full benefits.

Terry
05-08-2022, 06:32 PM
I think maybe rock and roll is going where big band did. You can still go see a Glenn Miller type thing at a Performing Arts center somewhere. You can still buy the old recordings but it’s not the big mainstream thing it was. Old people loved it because of the nostalgia.

Now we are the old people getting nostalgic for our rock and roll and the kids today have their thing which was not on the menu when we were growing up.

Rock and roll is going - basically has already gone - the way of Vegas-style cabaret.

Seshmeister
05-08-2022, 06:43 PM
I mean, I can't argue with Sharon Osbourne's approach to...what...monetizing the Ozzy name and thus keeping Ozzy as a brand far more lucrative from 2000 on than it would have been otherwise. Didn't much care for The Osbournes tv show, and Sharon Osbourne as a celebrity personality isn't my cup of tea, but whatever.

I thought Jake E. Lee was shit-hot coming out of the gate with Ozzy. I mean, Bark At The Moon as a lead-off single was a solid rock tune. Didn't much care for The Ultimate Sin stuff then or now. Thought No Rest For The Wicked had some great stuff on it. No More Tears as a track was good. Didn't much care for Mama I'm Coming Home or Road To Nowhere.

The first two Ozzy solo albums just continue to hold up for me...still resonate after all these years.

Absolutely but it's not just our opinions, most Ozzy setlists have always been about 75% first 2 albums. Only ever played the title track to BATM and I always found it surprising that Zack W never learned how to play it correctly even though that was his fucking job for 20 years. I say that as someone that also can't play it right but still - it wasn't my fucking job. :D

Terry
05-08-2022, 08:46 PM
Absolutely but it's not just our opinions, most Ozzy setlists have always been about 75% first 2 albums. Only ever played the title track to BATM and I always found it surprising that Zack W never learned how to play it correctly even though that was his fucking job for 20 years. I say that as someone that also can't play it right but still - it wasn't my fucking job. :D

The two times I saw Ozzy, in 1984 and 1986, he was playing a fair amount off of the then new albums BATM and Ultimate Sin, and wasn't doing more than a few Sabbath tunes and several tunes off of his first two solo albums.

I'd say from what I've read/seen/heard, a lot of the setlists after Jake E. Lee left started incorporating more of the Rhoads material as well as doing Sabbath stuff other than the obligatory Iron Man and Paranoid. I mean, really, for me, the Jake E. Lee albums...bit of a letdown, and not even necessarily strictly in comparison to the Rhoads albums. Outside of the Bark At The Moon title track, the rest of the Lee material was...a bit weak. I remember thinking with the first Wylde album that the Ozzy band and material had taken a step upward from the Lee stuff. Miracle Man...Bloodbath In Paradise...Crazy Babies...THAT to my ears was the kind of stuff I wanted to hear Ozzy doing more so than the bulk of what was on the Lee albums. And Wylde didn't have any compunctions about playing Rhoads tracks other than Crazy Train or I Don't Know, or essaying Sabbath stuff like War Pigs.

But, yeah, were I to see an Ozzy show these days, I'd be more than satisfied if the setlist was comprised entirely of stuff off of Sabbath's first 4 albums and Ozzy's first two solo albums.

Seshmeister
05-08-2022, 09:01 PM
You saw Ozzy possibly at his peak in 1984 I've seen him 5 or so times from 1986 onwards but Jake on that first tour. I took up guitar after seeing the Salt Lake City gig on TV but the earlier German one is is some ways better because Ozzy is pretty much singing well.

The solo to Forever is still just fucking wow nearly 40 years later...

https://youtu.be/deOqwmv8kZE?t=1015

silverfish
05-08-2022, 10:03 PM
The two times I saw Ozzy, in 1984 and 1986, he was playing a fair amount off of the then new albums BATM and Ultimate Sin, and wasn't doing more than a few Sabbath tunes and several tunes off of his first two solo albums.

Not a big Sabbath or Ozzy fan so take this for what it's worth:
I've never seen him live but the live videos I've seen show Ozzy as the absolute most boring uninspired
frontman ever. He paces the stage saying "'C'mon" between verses and (to me) really brings nothing
to a show that isn't on the LP.
I know his style isn't something akin to DLR/Tyler/Pearcy/whatever flashy frontman but when I see a clip of
him live I can't imagine watching an entire show of that no matter what the songs sound like.

That said, I did watch some of his Osbournes show. "Sharooon!"

Seshmeister
05-08-2022, 11:18 PM
I totally get that - I've been an Ozzy fan since 1981 and I'm often totally puzzled by it especially when watching him live.

Taking a step back he is fucking terrible. :D

I've always been a music + vocal melody person. You get (a lot of) people who are all about the lead singer voice, I'm not one of them.

If you stuck a knife at my throat my 3 favorite bands would be CVH, Rush and early Ozzy none of which would win awards for lead vocals although I could make a passionate underrated argument for them.

Terry
05-09-2022, 07:13 AM
Not a big Sabbath or Ozzy fan so take this for what it's worth:
I've never seen him live but the live videos I've seen show Ozzy as the absolute most boring uninspired
frontman ever. He paces the stage saying "'C'mon" between verses and (to me) really brings nothing
to a show that isn't on the LP.
I know his style isn't something akin to DLR/Tyler/Pearcy/whatever flashy frontman but when I see a clip of
him live I can't imagine watching an entire show of that no matter what the songs sound like.

That said, I did watch some of his Osbournes show. "Sharooon!"

The thing with Ozzy...he's just a character, just a larger than life personality and people just respond to that in terms of...like, Ozzy doesn't even HAVE to do anything astounding onstage in terms of leaping around...or even singing well. Ozzy just has to yell "everybody go crazy!!" and the crowd loves it.

I will say for the two shows I saw in the 1980s, on both those tours Ozzy had some decent stage productions, so you had lasers, some explosions, some pyro. All of which augmented or sort of made up for whatever shortcomings Ozzy had in the singing department or the frontman department. Like, I remember with the BATM show I saw in 1984, Motley Crue opened. Musically, Motley Crue were no great shakes, but that band were fucking MOVING all over the stage the entire set. Ozzy, by comparison, sort of walked around, clapped his hands...but Ozzy just didn't NEED to run around the stage all night. Plus, by the time BATM rolled around, Ozzy had the Rhoads albums + BATM + the classic Sabbath stuff to draw upon...and people were just there to party and have a good time, so Ozzy...he just didn't need to do anything beyond what he was doing. which admittedly certainly wasn't much in comparison to a David Lee Roth or a Steven Tyler.

I do remember the second time I saw Ozzy a couple of years later on the Ultimate Sin tour, I felt that the opening band Metallica had kinda blew Ozzy off the stage a bit. And I wasn't especially a huge fan of Metallica at the time, either. My bud who I went with WAS a pretty big Metallica fan and had been playing the first three Metallica albums non-stop in the year leading up to the Ultimate Sin show, and I wasn't a particular fan of Metallica at that point. I'm still not really all that big on Metallica, and never really have been, but I will say that Metallica...they were just hungry and put on a brutal, non-stop assault onstage. Ozzy came out after them and it was...a bit tame by comparison.

Terry
05-09-2022, 07:21 AM
You saw Ozzy possibly at his peak in 1984 I've seen him 5 or so times from 1986 onwards but Jake on that first tour. I took up guitar after seeing the Salt Lake City gig on TV but the earlier German one is is some ways better because Ozzy is pretty much singing well.

The solo to Forever is still just fucking wow nearly 40 years later...

https://youtu.be/deOqwmv8kZE?t=1015

I dunno about seeing Ozzy at his peak, because just in terms strictly of what Ozzy was doing as a frontman his tours throughout the 1980s were basically consistent. His various touring bands throughout the 1980s were pretty consistent.

I mean, neither time I saw him on those two tours...his vocals weren't terrible, nor were they great...but, like I said, he just has to yell "let's get crazy!!" and not much else beyond that.

I'd certainly say from the footage I've seen from the mid-1990s and beyond that I was fortunate to have seen Ozzy in the 1980s.

Von Halen
05-09-2022, 10:43 AM
So, I saw Ozzy on February 27th, 1982. What, two weeks before Rhoads was killed? While I personally consider that to be his peak, I also saw him in '84 with Jake E Lee, and that was actually a great show, and Ozzy's voice was much better on that night, than it was in '82.

I totally agree with the assessment on Sharon Osbourne. She's a cunt. That last album Ozzy did with that producer/guitarist, fucking sucked balls. I can't believe Ozzy let her talk him into letting the producer be the lead guitarist on his album.

I am looking forward to his upcoming album, with all the different guitarists on it.

You guys talking about Rhode Island. There is a dude on Tik Tok that calls himself "The Gatekeeper" that supposedly has carried a big stick in the Rhode Island music scene for a lot of years.

Sesh, don't let your Libtardism get in the way of your common sense. Ted Nugent was 100% on the money with his Joan Jett take. That broad made some catchy tunes, but to put her even on the list, is nothing but a travesty of the highest degree. She doesn't belong in the top 500, let alone top 100. To put her over guys like Rik Emmett, and any of the others Ted mentioned, just takes any credibility away from the list. That's a FACT!

Seshmeister
05-09-2022, 11:24 AM
It's a list from 2003, also did you watch the video I posted?

Seshmeister
05-09-2022, 11:25 AM
So, I saw Ozzy on February 27th, 1982. What, two weeks before Rhoads was killed? While I personally consider that to be his peak,

You are from an older generation though.

Von Halen
05-09-2022, 11:26 AM
Fuck no I didn't watch the video. I don't care what year it was from. She does NOT belong on that list. Above Rik Emmett? C.C. Deville is a better guitarist than her. Sorry.

Terry
05-09-2022, 06:14 PM
So, I saw Ozzy on February 27th, 1982. What, two weeks before Rhoads was killed? While I personally consider that to be his peak, I also saw him in '84 with Jake E Lee, and that was actually a great show, and Ozzy's voice was much better on that night, than it was in '82.

I totally agree with the assessment on Sharon Osbourne. She's a cunt. That last album Ozzy did with that producer/guitarist, fucking sucked balls. I can't believe Ozzy let her talk him into letting the producer be the lead guitarist on his album.

I am looking forward to his upcoming album, with all the different guitarists on it.

You guys talking about Rhode Island. There is a dude on Tik Tok that calls himself "The Gatekeeper" that supposedly has carried a big stick in the Rhode Island music scene for a lot of years.

Sesh, don't let your Libtardism get in the way of your common sense. Ted Nugent was 100% on the money with his Joan Jett take. That broad made some catchy tunes, but to put her even on the list, is nothing but a travesty of the highest degree. She doesn't belong in the top 500, let alone top 100. To put her over guys like Rik Emmett, and any of the others Ted mentioned, just takes any credibility away from the list. That's a FACT!

Basically, back in Rhode Island circa 1983-1986, one of my best friends immediate family members was a close friend of the premiere concert promoter in the region at time. A byproduct of that was that through the friend and the connection we got concert tickets to whatever shows we wanted to see at the main concert venue used for the name rock acts at the time. Subsequently, we saw...Christ, I'd have to sit down and think hard in terms of a list...upward of twenty rock shows there in a roughly two year or so period.

Dunno about the guy on Tik Tok in terms of who he is, but the promoter I'm referring to was a guy named Frank J. Russo. The venue was then known as the Providence Civic Center. The last show I saw in the Civic Center was in 1986/1987. At some point in the late 1990s or early 2000s, it became renamed the Dunkin' Donuts Center. The arena seats...maybe 14,000 people (give or take a couple thousand either way). I have no idea if they even put on rock concerts there anymore.

Nitro Express
05-09-2022, 06:26 PM
Fuck no I didn't watch the video. I don't care what year it was from. She does NOT belong on that list. Above Rik Emmett? C.C. Deville is a better guitarist than her. Sorry.

Ha! Both Joan and Ted are milking it for all the publicity they can get. Do either of them really care? I doubt it. But it’s all about keeping your name out there and people buy your shit.

Terry
05-09-2022, 06:27 PM
2022 Nominees:

Beck
Pat Benatar - 2nd nom
Kate Bush - 3rd nom
Devo - 3rd nom
Duran Duran
Eminem - 1st time eligible
Eurythmics - 3rd nom
Judas Priest - 3rd nom
Fela Kuti - 2nd nom
MC5 - 6th nom
New York Dolls - 3rd nom
Dolly Parton
Rage Against the Machine - 4th nom
Lionel Richie
Carly Simon
A Tribe Called Quest
Dionne Warwick - 2nd nom

Fan vote leaderboard - https://vote.rockhall.com/en/results/

Beck? Unless it's the Beck with Jeff in front of the name, er, um...no.
Pat Benetar - surprised she wasn't in there already.
Kate Bush - always a critical favorite (assumedly male critics who liked to rub one out to her), but even just in terms of the fame I'd wager precious few in America even know who she is.
Devo - yeah, I'll buy that. Ohio natives and all.
Duran Duran - yeeesh...look, I like Duran Duran, but rock? Mmmm, maybe a couple tunes here and there.
Eminem - not rock.
Eurythmics - not rock.
Judas Priest - should've been in there already.
Fela Kuti - ?????
MC5 - should've been in there already.
New York Dolls - should've been in there already.
Dolly Parton - great country artist, classily pointed out that she has never been a rock artist and said 'thanks but no thanks'
Rage Against The Machine - posers: hope they never get in.
Lionel Richie - ??? The Commodores, maybe. Lionel Richie solo? That's some of the softest schmaltz ever produced.
Carly Simon - see Lionel Richie.
A Tribe Called Quest - see Rage Against The Machine
Dionne Warwick - fer fuck sake, is this nomination a joke?

Honestly, the place should just be named the Popular Music Hall Of Fame.

With each passing year, it becomes more and more apparent that most of the important rock acts have already gotten in, and compiling these nominee lists is really an exercise in scraping the bottom.

Nitro Express
05-09-2022, 06:29 PM
Dolly Parton is rock and roll? The whole thing is beyond stupid.

Terry
05-09-2022, 07:02 PM
I mean, the whole place has always had the aura of being the antithesis of what rock was about to begin with, in terms of rock not belonging in a museum...or that it shouldn't be put in a museum, at any rate.

Like I say, after 30+ years, the nominees going forward...it's just gonna get more and more ridiculous beyond the sterile, pussified, corporatized entity it already has been.

Seshmeister
05-09-2022, 07:07 PM
Well Queen won 0 Grammys, Abba 0 Grammys, the Stones 3 Grammys

Kanye West has 24...

twonabomber
05-09-2022, 08:35 PM
The problem with the Rock Hall has always been the board in NYC. First when Jann Wenner was running it, and now John Sykes (who ran MTV when it was good) is running it. Acts get inducted for the ratings they will bring to the HBO broadcast, not because they are truly worthy.

I agree that country, the blues, soul, R&B etc all feed back into "rock and roll," but I don't think that means Parton should get in. You gonna put Pat Boone in there for the "In A Metal Mood" album?

The Rock Hall says acts are considered because of their influence and perpetuation of rock and roll. I figured Duran Duran would have gotten in earlier just based on the videos pushing rock in another direction. The Durannie girls in my high school were better looking than the girls who were Ozzy and Rush fans, too. So there!

Priest kind of got the consolation prize, the Musical Excellence award. So did Ringo Starr for his solo work. I had the "Ringo" 8 track, and as much as I liked it as a kid, I know now it was nowhere the caliber of work Harrison and McCartney were putting out. It's like the pat on the head and "good job!" version, I think Priest deserved better.

Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis aren't exactly rock either. Neither was Nile Rodgers, if you only base it on the Chic stuff. But they wrote and produced HUGE hits, and all that feeds back in.

FORD
05-09-2022, 10:44 PM
The original founder of MTV was Robert Pittman, who is actually a distant cousin of mine, though I've never met him. After he left MTV he went on to be involved with Clear Channel and AOL/Time Warner, so I suspect we probably wouldn't get along very well if we ever meet at a family reunion.

Nitro Express
05-10-2022, 06:06 AM
The original founder of MTV was Robert Pittman, who is actually a distant cousin of mine, though I've never met him. After he left MTV he went on to be involved with Clear Channel and AOL/Time Warner, so I suspect we probably wouldn't get along very well if we ever meet at a family reunion.

Donny Osmond is a distant cousin of mine and I never got any free tickets to anything. I did edit ski movies in the old Osmond studios though. They had their exotic cars parked on the sound stage and some of Marie's costumes were still there from television show days. Man. Those sequin covered dresses weigh a ton. They feel like they are made of chain mail or something.

Fairwrning
05-10-2022, 12:28 PM

Dolly should get in any place she wants...

https://youtu.be/fw_Codf29Pw

Von Halen
05-10-2022, 02:10 PM

Tits first.

Nickdfresh
05-10-2022, 03:53 PM

She was the first to say it. She was on NPR saying she wanted them to withdraw her nomination. They wouldn't so she said she'd accept if winning but would do a rock album if she is inducted...

Nitro Express
05-10-2022, 07:06 PM

https://youtu.be/fw_Codf29Pw

Never underestimate the power of tits.

twonabomber
11-08-2022, 10:10 PM
Horns up!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glgGix57qmI

twonabomber
11-08-2022, 10:19 PM
Rob Halford singing Jolene?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPyMg-wGCNo

FORD
11-08-2022, 11:21 PM
If he could pull off Diamonds & Rust, why the Hell not?

twonabomber
02-01-2023, 08:27 AM
This year's nominees

https://scontent.fosu2-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t39.30808-6/328771201_447691987478427_4669287663828498882_n.jp g?stp=cp6_dst-jpg&_nc_cat=102&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=8bfeb9&_nc_ohc=8RSWy7Qr19UAX80_v43&_nc_ht=scontent.fosu2-1.fna&oh=00_AfDBItwiUsqhuMoVcpPLKh8-dfEtvQTPgieY-y-_-MAZqQ&oe=63DFD211

ZahZoo
02-01-2023, 08:56 AM
Yawner...

twonabomber
02-01-2023, 08:59 AM
yup.

The Rock Hall recently changed their mission statement:

Earlier this week, at an online press event, the organization shared a new mission statement, purportedly designed to address the criticism of the recent nominees: "Born from the collision of rhythm & blues, country and gospel, rock 'n' roll is a spirit that is inclusive and ever-changing. The Rock & Roll Hall of Fame celebrates the sound of youth culture and honors the artists whose music connects us all."

I'd like to see Warren Zevon get in and maybe David Letterman induct him.

Seshmeister
02-01-2023, 09:46 AM
Didn't realize the White Stripes were 25 years old.

So they are so incredibly fucking talented/important/influential they get nominated the first year they qualify whereas Rush had to wait another 15 years?

FORD
02-01-2023, 11:12 AM
So let's see....

Kate Bush - Would we be talking about her at all if "Stranger Things" hadn't revived her one big hit?
Sheryl Crow - She's OK, but does she need to get in on the first ballot?
Missy Elliot - Who?? Seriously, I know she's a rapper, but I can't name a single song. Don't think she's had the "impact" of NWA or Public Enemy
Iron Maiden - Absolutely... but not Blaze what's his fuck. I'm sure they will let DiAnno in because he was an original member.
Joy Division/New Order - Hell yeah! Should have been in years ago.
Cyndi Lauper - Not one of my favorites, but I'm OK with it
George Michael - They're really stretching the limits of what they call Rock n Roll, aren't they? I'd vote for him over Missy Elliot, I guess.
Willie Nelson - Obviously not a rocker, but he's very worthy. And he's 90 years old now, so he doesn't have time to wait for three or four ballots to get in!
Rage Against The Machine - I'll be raging against the machine if they don't get in this time.
Soundgarden - Should have made it in on the first year of eligibility (2012)
The Spinners - Sure, why not? I only remember one or two of their songs, but they probably had more impact than half of this list.
A Tribe Called Quest - Honestly can't remember anything they did. But they probably did more than Missy Elliot.
White Stripes - Jack White is the most overrated fucking guitarist of the last century, but the industry loves him. But he can wait a few years.
Warren Zevon - Send all the lawyers, guns, and money needed to get him inducted! No doubt he should be the first one on this list who makes the final cut.

FORD
02-01-2023, 11:14 AM
So if Rage & Soundgarden get in on the same ballot, is that also a de-facto nomination for Audioslave??

twonabomber
02-01-2023, 12:05 PM
So let's see....

Kate Bush - Would we be talking about her at all if "Stranger Things" hadn't revived her one big hit?
Sheryl Crow - She's OK, but does she need to get in on the first ballot?
Missy Elliot - Who?? Seriously, I know she's a rapper, but I can't name a single song. Don't think she's had the "impact" of NWA or Public Enemy
Iron Maiden - Absolutely... but not Blaze what's his fuck. I'm sure they will let DiAnno in because he was an original member.
Joy Division/New Order - Hell yeah! Should have been in years ago.
Cyndi Lauper - Not one of my favorites, but I'm OK with it
George Michael - They're really stretching the limits of what they call Rock n Roll, aren't they? I'd vote for him over Missy Elliot, I guess.
Willie Nelson - Obviously not a rocker, but he's very worthy. And he's 90 years old now, so he doesn't have time to wait for three or four ballots to get in!
Rage Against The Machine - I'll be raging against the machine if they don't get in this time.
Soundgarden - Should have made it in on the first year of eligibility (2012)
The Spinners - Sure, why not? I only remember one or two of their songs, but they probably had more impact than half of this list.
A Tribe Called Quest - Honestly can't remember anything they did. But they probably did more than Missy Elliot.
White Stripes - Jack White is the most overrated fucking guitarist of the last century, but the industry loves him. But he can wait a few years.
Warren Zevon - Send all the lawyers, guns, and money needed to get him inducted! No doubt he should be the first one on this list who makes the final cut.

There are always complaints that there aren't enough women inducted.

Also look at it as which acts will bring bigger ratings for the HBO broadcast. Seems like that's all they care about now.

silverfish
02-01-2023, 12:48 PM
The Rock Hall recently changed their mission statement:

In addition to the eligiblity requirement of a band/artists having "released its first commercial
recording at least 25 years prior to the year of nomination," the HoF new goal is to “celebrate
the sound of youth culture and honor the artists whose music connects us all” because “rock
and roll is a spirit that is inclusive and ever-changing.”

I'm guessing the "youth culture" (hip hop, artists of color) and "music connects us all" (Dolly Parton,
Willie Nelson) sections were stated up front shortly before the nominess were released in hopes that
people wouldn't pitch a fit when they saw the list. Also opens things up a bit as they're probably
running out of old white guy acts to induct.

FORD
02-01-2023, 12:49 PM
If they want more women inducted, how about women who played in actual rock bands? The Runaways. Joan Jett is in, but why not the rest of them?? The Bangles should certainly qualify. Liz Phair should be eligible by now.

Seshmeister
02-01-2023, 02:15 PM
Maybe I shouldn't be admitting this but I've never heard of The Spinners, A Tribe Called Quest or Warren Zevon...

FORD
02-01-2023, 02:39 PM
You never heard "Werewolves of London"??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qae25976UgA

FORD
02-01-2023, 02:43 PM
As for The Spinners, they were big in the early 70s... at least on this side of the pond....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOLQNv_BfD0

Seshmeister
02-01-2023, 06:30 PM

Fair enough I've heard the song a lot without knowing the name. So like Cyndi Lauper another one hit here today gone later this afternoon artist... :)

FORD
02-01-2023, 07:34 PM
Cyndi Lauper just happened to launch her career at the right time to be on MTV at its musical peak. The music itself was standard 80s pop, but the videos were entertaining, most of them featuring some of the WWF wrestlers of that era. She's now doing AARP ads for a paycheck.

No, seriously......

https://youtu.be/qXQWiPFWsCo

Terry
02-01-2023, 08:03 PM
Sheryl Crow sucks.

This rip-off institution has been scraping the bottom of the barrel for so long that this is what it has finally come down to: Sheryl Lame-Ass Vanilla AOR Crow. A rock star for mall moms.

Fuck it. Let her in. Let 'em all in. Get Justin Bieber in there, while they're at it.

The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

Man, what a sad, dried up, limp, lifeless state rock music is in currently, eh? Has been for quite a while, too. About...mmmmmmmmmm....a quarter-century or so, I'd say.

Ah, well. Fortunately, there's the rock music that was made when the form mattered, and fortunately a lot of it was made when the form mattered.

Better to look a few decades backward for rock inspiration than try and get some from the likes of Dave Grohl...or Sheryl Crow.

Seshmeister
02-01-2023, 08:32 PM
Cyndi Lauper just happened to launch her career at the right time to be on MTV at its musical peak. The music itself was standard 80s pop, but the videos were entertaining, most of them featuring some of the WWF wrestlers of that era. She's now doing AARP ads for a paycheck.

No, seriously......

I didn't hate her and what do I know but it's always such a weird list.

Iron Maiden released their first album 43 years ago and have sold 200 million.

Seshmeister
02-01-2023, 08:36 PM
I am glad that they have at least now confirmed that their definition of 'Rock N Roll' as meaning absolutely nothing - that does explain how music from the elevator on the Love Boat qualifies... :)

Previously I had assumed they meant the 'Hard Rock Cafe' definition which is maximizing how to make money from shit that occasionally slightly overlaps with rock almost by accident.

I almost should have paid for the unsolicited photo last time I visited one of their restaurants when some twat stuck an $80 chinese strat copy into my hands as I walked in before I realized what was happening just for my WTF expression. :)

Food was tasteless but very expensive shit too...

Sorry I'm ranting.

twonabomber
02-01-2023, 11:20 PM
The Rock Hall does that picture shit too, a backdrop in the line to the ticket counter and of course they charge for it. I have a membership to the HOF, I'm a half-hour away, there a couple times a year, and I know what I look like. I don't want any pictures.

Never eaten there and I think it's just snacks anyways. Our holiday party was there one year when I worked at Progressive, that was pretty cool. Food was catered though. A few years before the HOF allowed cameras and around the time that phone cameras still weren't very good.

I agree on the Hard Rock Cafe food. Overpriced and not very good. We used to stop before shows, when the competing casino bought the building the Hard Rock moved out almost overnight. The food at the Hard Rock Rocksino (casino) was good but still a little overpriced.

The HOF Foundation and the actual museum itself are still separate, the museum has to deal with the shit decisions on inductees.

Nickdfresh
02-02-2023, 02:20 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qae25976UgA

Or the best song ever???

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRWCK9zGynA

Terry
02-02-2023, 06:44 AM
I am glad that they have at least now confirmed that their definition of 'Rock N Roll' as meaning absolutely nothing - that does explain how music from the elevator on the Love Boat qualifies... :)

Previously I had assumed they meant the 'Hard Rock Cafe' definition which is maximizing how to make money from shit that occasionally slightly overlaps with rock almost by accident.

I almost should have paid for the unsolicited photo last time I visited one of their restaurants when some twat stuck an $80 chinese strat copy into my hands as I walked in before I realized what was happening just for my WTF expression. :)

Food was tasteless but very expensive shit too...

Sorry I'm ranting.

Eh, I rant a bit about it, too. Dunno why, because the RnRHoF is as meaningless as the Hard Rock Cafe is. To me, anyway.

Went into a HRC franchise down here once, located inside a casino. A bunch of instruments and stage clothes behind clear plastic display cases. Bunch of pictures of rock musicians hanging on the walls. Overpriced, greasy food of the quality I'd expect at a sporting event. Depressing experience. Mostly because to me rock music is (or should be) something living, breathing...vital.

Things in a museum or on display behind glass represent something that is dead.

Thankfully, the music itself (at least the music that was made back in the day) still gets me off.

twonabomber
02-02-2023, 07:42 AM
Rocksino had one of Ed's Harleys near the main bar/HR Cafe. Not sure if they moved all that stuff to Cincy when Hard Rock took over the casino there.

I did prefer Hard Rock running the local casino vs MGM now. Got third row tickets for Cheap Trick at MGM in April.

twonabomber
02-02-2023, 11:31 AM
Fan vote link

https://vote.rockhall.com/en/results/?fbclid=IwAR3cq9VfKp0fLfWeIBAErutOCvEgGjS-rfSVxB2NnIRZ9BtBecY3sWa6fio

twonabomber
03-03-2023, 11:19 AM
Renewed my Rock Hall membership and stopped by Wednesday. Very light crowd, it is not exactly tourist season here. "Duet" membership went up $25 to $100, I can get in and bring a guest for free every visit. Tickets are $35 otherwise so I'll need to make a couple more trips to get my money's worth. Members get a discount at the museum shop (where everything is overpriced anyways) and usually there's presales for concert tickets.

There's an EVH display but it's all newer EVH gear and nothing of his personal stash. I'll probably go back in a month and get a pic.

twonabomber
03-03-2023, 08:55 PM
I didn't realize the signatures on the wall at the HOF were on the website.

https://i.imgur.com/ENI5r8L.png

silverfish
04-22-2023, 06:30 AM
One week of fan voting left:

Rock & Roll Hall of Fame 2023 Fan Vote (As of April 21, 2023)

1. George Michael: 904,680
2. Cyndi Lauper: 823,376
3. Warren Zevon: 569,007
4. Iron Maiden: 401,791
5. Soundgarden: 379,118
6. Willie Nelson: 360,130
7. Kate Bush: 311,987
8. Joy Division / New Order: 301,765
9. Sheryl Crow: 299,990
10. The Spinners: 275,313
11. Rage Against the Machine: 249,871
12. The White Stripes: 182,975
13. Missy Elliott: 132,723
14. A Tribe Called Quest: 114,519

If you'd like to read the reasoning behind an "official" voter's choices, Steven Hyden offers up

My (Non-Anonymous) Ballot For The 2023 Rock & Roll Hall Of Fame
uproxx.com/indie/steven-hyden-ballot-rock-hall-of-fame/

silverfish
04-30-2023, 06:38 AM
A post from another voter:

I’m Giving Up My Rock Hall Vote
My invitation to join the organization’s selection committee seemed like a sign of change. It wasn’t.

https://www.vulture.com/2023/04/rock-hall-of-fame-member-resigns.html

Nitro Express
04-30-2023, 07:18 AM
You mean the Hall of Lame.

twonabomber
04-30-2023, 08:34 AM
Fan vote is something like less than a percent toward an artist's induction.

The George Michael fanbase just mobilized better than the others. Guy could sing though.

Nitro Express
04-30-2023, 07:41 PM
I don’t see why people think it’s important that some board of schmucks decides their favorite act gets acknowledged. Seems very anti-rock and roll to me. Rock and Roll is raiding the place like a band of pirates.

FORD
04-30-2023, 07:48 PM
George Michael performed one song with the remains of Queen, and did a halfway decent job of it. I wouldn't say that should get him into the Rock n Roll hall of fame, but it's certainly more than fucking Whitney Houston ever did.

Nitro Express
04-30-2023, 07:51 PM
George made some decent background music for the 80’s clubs. I can still taste the Stroh’s.

silverfish
05-03-2023, 08:22 AM
2023 Inductees:

Kate Bush
Sheryl Crow
Missy Elliott
George Michael
Willie Nelson
Rage Against the Machine
The Spinners

In addition, Chaka Khan, Al Kooper, and Bernie Taupin will be honored with the Rock & Roll Hall of
Fame’s Musical Excellence Award. Meanwhile, DJ Kool Herc and Link Wray will receive the Musical
Influence Award. The late creator and host of Soul Train Don Cornelius is this year’s recipient of
the Ahmet Ertegun Award, which honors non-performing industry professionals.

Full story at:
https://consequence.net/2023/05/rock-and-roll-hall-of-fame-class-2023/

twonabomber
05-03-2023, 09:13 AM
It's the response to the "not enough women in the hall" complaints.

Kristy
05-03-2023, 11:18 AM
Well, I'm not at all impressed.

twonabomber
05-03-2023, 12:05 PM
Who do they get to sing George Michael songs? Adam Lambert?

So this is love
05-03-2023, 12:27 PM
I'm not a huge fan of Iron Maiden, but they deserve to be inducted much more than most of these inductees.

Terry
05-03-2023, 02:53 PM
Thankfully the organization has finally gotten woke, realized their past transgressions and nominated The Spinners...although justice won't be served until Needle Dig and the Bug Fuggers take their rightful place inside this hallowed ground.

FORD
05-03-2023, 04:49 PM
Iron Maiden & Soundgarden can't get in the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame before Missy Fucking Elliot??

Even by rap standards, that's just pathetically weak. Can't even name one of her songs, let alone make any sort of case how she's "influenced" anybody, in the sense that Run DMC, NWA, or Public Enemy have.

Willie Nelson isn't rock n roll either, of course. But the guest list of his recent 90th birthday concerts is evidence of how many rock n rollers love the guy, so I'm fine with him being there.

twonabomber
05-03-2023, 05:14 PM
That one Missy Elliott video was deemed "groundbreaking" and she might have gotten the MTV Video Vanguard award recently. Beyond that, I can't think of much she's done, either.

Nickdfresh
05-03-2023, 07:59 PM
I barely know who the fuck she is...

twonabomber
05-03-2023, 11:16 PM
https://ultimateclassicrock.com/rock-hall-2023-inductees-roundtable/

Von Halen
05-04-2023, 07:07 AM
Somebody in Cleveland should burn that building of fraud down. How many rock bands or rap artists are in the Country Music Hall Of Fame? I've been by that shithole in Cleveland a thousand times, and have never stepped foot in the place. Not sure if it costs money, but they'd never get a penny from me. It's a fucking JOKE.

twonabomber
05-04-2023, 08:58 AM
Somebody in Cleveland should burn that building of fraud down. How many rock bands or rap artists are in the Country Music Hall Of Fame? I've been by that shithole in Cleveland a thousand times, and have never stepped foot in the place. Not sure if it costs money, but they'd never get a penny from me. It's a fucking JOKE.

I have a membership to the rock hall, I can bring a guest for free. Any time you want to go, let me know :D

The HOF Foundation is in charge of the induction process and organizes the annual induction ceremony, and is separate from the museum. The Foundation does provide some funding for the museum though.

Rikk
05-04-2023, 09:23 AM
Soundgarden not getting in is just plain insulting. Fucking Sheryl Crow? Sheryl fucking Crow? Her music reeks of mediocrity. The only people she influences are other mediocre songwriters.

No Iron Maiden? No Warren Zevon? No Soundgarden?

Rock Hall sucks. The one time I went to the museum, I was disappointed as well.

Soundgarden is one of the best bands ever...with one of the greatest singers, dead almost six years now.

Iron Maiden (though I prefer Priest) were amazing trailblazers. Warren Zevon was one of the great songwriters and a helluva performer too.

I do think Kate Bush should have gotten in 20 years ago.

twonabomber
05-04-2023, 09:29 AM
This was in Rolling Stone, which is funny because they were never known for pushing metal. And the writer kind of admits it in the article.

Enough Is Enough. It’s Time for the Rock Hall to Recognize Metal

What Iron Maiden's second snub says about the institution's attitude toward music's loudest genre

In 2018, a journalist asked Bruce Dickinson how he felt about the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame. The Iron Maiden singer inveighed, “If we’re ever inducted, I will refuse — they won’t bloody be having my corpse in there.”

A year later, Steve Harris — the band’s bassist and only consistent member since Maiden formed in 1975 — offered a more levelheaded take: “It’s very nice if people give you awards or accolades, but we didn’t get into the business for that sort of thing. … With what we do, whatever comes of it is great. Whatever doesn’t come of it is great, too.”

This year, the Hall considered for a second time to include Iron Maiden, who have been eligible for induction since 2005. And once again, the institution’s voters snubbed them — possibly because of Maiden’s antipathy, possibly because they just don’t like metal. But much like Black Sabbath, the Sex Pistols, and Axl Rose — artists who gave the organization the middle finger but were inducted (or is it “indicted”?) anyway — Iron Maiden deserve a spot in the Hall whether they want it or not. The continued rejections, after nearly two decades of eligibility, are emblematic of continued negativity toward heavy metal by the gatekeepers of musical taste.

Metal has long been rock’s outcast genre — often willingly so — but after more than half a century, it’s time to recognize the contributions the genre has made to popular music. It’s time to expand the canon. And while Rage Against the Machine’s induction into the Hall this year is a move in the right direction, even that band’s Tom Morello has called Iron Maiden a formative influence on him — a claim many musicians could make.

Almost immediately from the release of the group’s self-titled debut in 1980, Iron Maiden have expanded the vocabularies of heavy metal and, by proxy, rock. In The Rolling Stone Illustrated History of Rock & Roll, critic Lester Bangs described metal as “the aural image of a battering ram” and wrote, “as the Seventies drew to a close, it appeared that heavy metal had had it,” before directing readers to the nascent punk scene. But because the book came out in 1980, Bangs hadn’t yet had a chance to hear Iron Maiden, who sounded not just like a battering ram, but also a fighter jet, a thousand charging horses, and an air-raid siren all at the same time.

Where the genre’s forebears like Black Sabbath, Cream, and mid-Seventies Judas Priest dealt in gloom and doom, Iron Maiden introduced a charging (and supercharged) sense of hope, resilience, and measured abandon to the genre. They raced through the labyrinthine song structures of “Prowler,” “Phantom of the Opera,” and “Iron Maiden” with pure adrenaline, inspiring Metallica, Slayer, and the rest of the thrash-metal contingency to play faster and more intricately. Kurt Cobain used to doodle their soon-to-be-ubiquitous corpse mascot, Eddie the Head, and Eddie also inspired Chuck D to design Public Enemy’s instantly recognizable logo. Plus, thanks to Paul Di’Anno’s gravelly voice, they also sounded tough.

In 1982, when they replaced Di’Anno with Dickinson, a singer with a dramatic flair that’s equal parts Shakespeare and Doctor Who, their sound grew even bigger. Unlike Sabbath, Zeppelin, and Priest whose formative records took cues from the blues, Iron Maiden’s landmark 1982 album, The Number of the Beast, felt grand like classical music. The band’s most prolific songwriter, Harris, wrote Rossini-esque galloping rhythms, and he harmonized guitar lines for Dave Murray and Adrian Smith on “The Number of the Beast” and “Run to the Hills” that obeyed Bach’s rules of counterpoint. Add Dickinson’s theatricality — similar to what Ronnie James Dio was doing in Black Sabbath and his own band, Dio — to a song like “Hallowed Be Thy Name,” and it became opera. Very early in their career, Iron Maiden struck a balance between sophistication and aggression without losing its audience.

They spent the next decade refining their sound to play up speed (“Aces High”), melody (“Wasted Years,” “Can I Play With Madness?”), texture (“The Trooper”), and, for lack of a better word, pomp (“The Evil That Men Do”), all while building a dedicated fanbase eager to see them play arenas in and around giant stage sets. Hell, they even took Samuel Taylor Coleridge’s epic poem “Rime of the Ancient Mariner” and turned it into a headbanger that holds concertgoers’ attentions for 14 minutes. Name a high school English teacher who can pull that off.

Iron Maiden have also taken musical risks that would strike fear in the hearts of most mainstream rockers and thrived doing it. In 2006, when they released their album A Matter of Life and Death, the band played the whole opus in its entirety with just a few classic songs as encores — in arenas, no less — to captivated audiences. They’ve never had a hit song on U.S. radio, and they’ve probably never wanted one. The best songs on their most recent album, 2021’s Senjutsu, run more than 10 minutes each. Yet, as uncommercial as that sounds, that album and their three previous LPs all made it into Billboard’s Top Ten. Their music has even been played to the Pope in the Vatican.

Iron Maiden’s innovation, dedication to their craft, influence, and complete refusal to compromise their artistry should have made them first-year inductees into the Hall of Fame. They’re musical visionaries in the same league as Pink Floyd, Queen, U2, and even the Beatles — just louder.

The disrespect isn’t exclusive to Iron Maiden. Mainstream institutions from the Hall of Fame to the Grammys to Rolling Stone magazine (hi there!) have traditionally been slow to warm to heavy metal, writing the genre off as crude, brash, and angry. Also, thanks to movies like This Is Spinal Tap and Wayne’s World (which are both hilarious), the genre has gotten the reputation of being made for knuckleheaded dolts, which is unfair since smart, talented people from all walks of life identify with the genre.

So far, the only metal or metal-adjacent acts to make it into the Hall have been the genre’s biggest: Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin, Metallica, AC/DC, Judas Priest, Kiss, Van Halen, Rush, and Deep Purple. But so many other eligible and worthy acts (including Maiden) have been passed over, year after year: Slayer, Dio, Motörhead, Mötley Crüe, Ozzy Osbourne as a solo artist, Megadeth, Pantera, Thin Lizzy, Korn, Tool, Danzig, Anthrax, and Celtic Frost, among many, many others. These are musicians who have taken the foundational ideas of rock & roll and augmented them into something fresh. They’re also responsible for a sizable chunk of physical records sold every year since metalheads comprise one of music’s most dedicated fanbases.

The Rock & Roll Hall of Fame has made great strides in recent years of expanding the definition of rock & roll by recognizing how hip-hop, synth-pop, alt-rock, and country music have contributed to the spirit of the art form. Heavy metal should be included in the broad definition of rock & roll, and few bands embody the core tenets of the genre — individuality, rebellion, originality — as much as Iron Maiden. So if the opportunity comes around again to drag Bruce Dickinson kicking and screeching into the Hall of Fame, the institution’s voters should seize the opportunity. Up the Irons!

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/iron-maiden-rock-roll-hall-fame-1234727881/

silverfish
09-17-2023, 06:58 AM
Jann Wenner Removed From Rock Hall Board After Interview Backlash

“Jann Wenner has been removed from the board of directors of the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Foundation,”
the Rock Hall said in a brief statement issued today.

In Friday's interview with The New York Times, Wenner explained that his new book Masters, which
is centered on conversations with "extraordinary musicians who dominated rock 'n' roll," includes only
white male rock stars because "none of [the women] were as articulate enough on this intellectual level.”

Addressing the lack of Black artists, he declared that they too "just didn’t articulate at that level." He
continued, "You know, just for public relations sake, maybe I should have gone and found one Black
and one woman artist to include here that didn’t measure up to that same historical standard, just to
avert this kind of criticism."

Full story at:
https://ultimateclassicrock.com/jann-wenner-removed-rock-hall-of-fame/

twonabomber
09-17-2023, 09:26 AM
It's too late, the damage has already been done.

Rikk
09-17-2023, 09:28 AM
I saw this yesterday. While I consider myself pretty liberal (socially), I get pretty incensed with people being cancelled all the time from single comments or some event 15 years earlier.

But the shit Wenner said the other day was insane. Who the fuck says, "I should have found some blacks..." and goes on about his not being able to find any women or blacks to match white men...and says women "just don't articulate at that level..."

But the truth for me is that it's Wenner...and I hate the fucking guy. His being kicked out of the Rock Hall Nomination is just truly awesome.

Do I think this means that all sorts of metal and classic rock bands will all start getting in now? NO. The Rock Hall are ALL a bunch of fucking idiots. But this could help.

Rikk
09-17-2023, 09:32 AM
It's too late, the damage has already been done.

I've been to the Museum once and once only.

My wife did her Undergrad at Kent. So she visits the area time to time and one time I went with her and we spent the day at the Rock Hall Museum.

I spent the first couple of hours with my eyes bugged out, looking at John Lennon's guitars and Jim Morrison's report card and Gary Rossington's Les Paul and John Paul Jones' shirt from SONG REMAINS THE SAME.

Then...as it wound down...I said to my wife, "I've seen nothing from KISS. Nothing from Soundgarden."

I don't remember seeing any Van Halen stuff (maybe I've forgotten). I don't even remember Sex Pistols stuff.

And my wife was kind of lowering her head as I raved and ranted the entire drive back to our friends' place about how much I hate the Rock Hall.

Terry
09-17-2023, 09:59 AM
I dunno...I mean, has the RNRHOF seal of approval been something anyone ever needed to 'validate' them listening to whatever?

It's just a bunch of has-beens giving each other stroke jobs at $10k a seat.

Kristy
09-17-2023, 10:44 AM

It was @$35 when I was there. That's right, $35 to see Marky Ramone's jeans and snare drum.

Kristy
09-17-2023, 10:46 AM
I dunno...I mean, has the RNRHOF seal of approval been something anyone ever needed to 'validate' them listening to whatever?

It's just a bunch of has-beens giving each other stroke jobs at $10k a seat.

Don't forget about Dave Grohl's obligatory ego tripping and for being the very reason rock & roll exist at all.

Kristy
09-17-2023, 10:52 AM
That one Missy Elliott video was deemed "groundbreaking" and she might have gotten the MTV Video Vanguard award recently. Beyond that, I can't think of much she's done, either.

This may have something to do with it.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-09-17/jann-wenner-removed-from-rock-hall-leadership-rolling-stone/102867406

Rikk
09-17-2023, 10:55 AM
This may have something to do with it.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-09-17/jann-wenner-removed-from-rock-hall-leadership-rolling-stone/102867406

Really paying attention to the thread, aren't ya?

Kristy
09-17-2023, 10:59 AM
Blow me.

Hippie

Rikk
09-17-2023, 12:09 PM
Blow me.

Hippie

No, thanks.

Rikk
09-17-2023, 12:54 PM
Joe Bonamossa on Jann Wenner's dismissal from Hall's board of directors (Twitter or X):

"This man has done more to bring down the credibility of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame than anyone else. He has been punitive, elitist and frankly kept artists out of the hall over petty grudges and ego. This is a good thing."

twonabomber
09-17-2023, 01:11 PM
I've been to the Museum once and once only.

My wife did her Undergrad at Kent. So she visits the area time to time and one time I went with her and we spent the day at the Rock Hall Museum.

I spent the first couple of hours with my eyes bugged out, looking at John Lennon's guitars and Jim Morrison's report card and Gary Rossington's Les Paul and John Paul Jones' shirt from SONG REMAINS THE SAME.

Then...as it wound down...I said to my wife, "I've seen nothing from KISS. Nothing from Soundgarden."

I don't remember seeing any Van Halen stuff (maybe I've forgotten). I don't even remember Sex Pistols stuff.

And my wife was kind of lowering her head as I raved and ranted the entire drive back to our friends' place about how much I hate the Rock Hall.

I have a membership, been there a few times already this year.

Bonamossa isn't wrong and he's not the only one who's said that. I think Ahmet Ertegun kept Wenner in check, to a point. Once Ertegun died Wenner did what he wanted.

Rikk
09-17-2023, 01:41 PM
I have a membership, been there a few times already this year.

Bonamossa isn't wrong and he's not the only one who's said that. I think Ahmet Ertegun kept Wenner in check, to a point. Once Ertegun died Wenner did what he wanted.

Don't get me wrong: the museum is good for what it does have. It's just a travesty for what it doesn't have.

I'll go again. We live outside Chicago now...so it's not something we can do anytime we want.

BUT YES...I'm a BIG museum person. We have memberships to the Art Institute of Chicago, the Field Museum of Natural History, the Shedd Aquarium and the Museum of Science and Industry. My boy who we lost, he loved going to the Field, so that's our favorite and we donate to them every year.

I was pissed when the George Lucas museum was pulled out of Chicago because of a really stupid environmental movement (I'm all for environmental movements, but this one was ridiculous...they were basically looking to save the Soldier Field parking lot).

Does the Rock Hall Museum have any Van Halen or KISS stuff now? (My wife keeps telling me they still have some good temporary exhibits.)

twonabomber
09-17-2023, 02:25 PM
There is a VH display at the very top of the Hall but it is all current EVH stuff and nothing of his personal collection. They may as well have QR codes posted with where to buy everything, it's set up like a catalog picture. There is a video that plays and a lot of it is from the Smithsonian thing.

Bassplayer's Jack Daniels bass is in one of the displays.

I don't remember if there is any KISS stuff. Maybe just the plaque with their signatures on it.

Von Halen
09-17-2023, 05:54 PM
I stayed on the same block many times over the years. Refused to ever attend that shithole based on the non rock acts in there, and the real rock acts that aren't. That joke of a rock and roll hall of fame should be burnt to the ground.

How many rappers are in the country music hall of fame? How many rockers are in the country music hall of fame?

Fuck the "Rock and Roll" hall of fame.

Terry
09-17-2023, 08:11 PM
Don't forget about Dave Grohl's obligatory ego tripping and for being the very reason rock & roll exist at all.

Ugh.

He's so cloying and eager to be seen as the Good Housekeeping Seal Of Approval for all that is rock...

I mean, shit, I loved rock and roll back in the day...a lot of the stuff I liked back then I still do far as listening pleasure goes, but there's been too much drivel released in that genre over the last 30 years and too many aging bands who can't get it up flogging a dead horse onstage for decades for me to even care about where rock music is today.

I'd sooner go see Pablo Cruise opening up for Kenny Loggins these days than take in another 'farewell tour' of another aging limp rock band...which is exactly what I did last night. Kenny came out, did his soft pop set, finished it up with the Holy Trinity of that song from Caddyshack, followed by that song from Top Gun and ending with that song from Footloose (he started to play another tune after the Footloose one, but we left) and it was a lovely evening.

Kristy
09-18-2023, 10:55 AM
I mean, shit, I loved rock and roll back in the day...a lot of the stuff I liked back then I still do far as listening pleasure goes, but there's been too much drivel released in that genre over the last 30 years and too many aging bands who can't get it up flogging a dead horse onstage for decades for me to even care about where rock music is today.

There are lot of new artist out there who are breaking the rules by actually writing and playing their own material unlike say, a certain duo in their 80s. You have to realize (and I think you do better than anyone else on here) that the music industry is dead. Anyone can call themselves a producer or even a professional musician with general knowledge of learning to play a few chords and a iPhone to record their crap on. As for the ones who developed a real skill in manipulating their instrument and has paid "dooos" are becoming more and more rare and the industry which has sold its soul to the commercial pop of visual instead of aural and music is all about being seen in these days an times (See: K Pop, the Masked singer, that fucking unwatchable The Voice).

The Crock and Bullshit Hall of (insert flavor of the month here) has always been abut ego tripping turning itself into a qualified bitch magnet for the likes of Dave Grohl. The concept of the place was great when it first marketed itself. It gave notion to the pioneers likes Chuck Berry (although he was a asshole), Buddy Holly, Everly Brothers, Gene Vincent which was all well and good until you start to get the vibe The Crock and Bullshit Hall of...shit just openly operates as a beauty contest. So many artist who possessed so much in the way originality and "dooo paying" are largely ignored. As far as I know Irma Thomas, Don Varner, Fontella Bass, Chuck Jackson, Eddie Hinton, Jimmy McGriff, Tammi Terrell and yes, even white limey artist like Billy Fury (huge "influence" on Bowie), The Artwoods, The Shadows (although they may be or Hank Marvin definitely belongs there) or even the Fame Gang are not in there or ever mentioned of being there. you all remember the Fame Gang, right? Give this a quick listen and guess how many people ripped them the fuck off (See; Earth, Wind and Fire)

https://youtu.be/xxQQA18sucU?si=sozP8BL3uDKjFBCE

And since I mentioned Bill Fury:

https://youtu.be/DIJDVCI9PDk?si=k8kiwnF8fjsLjh7E

Yeah, tell me Bowie did not steal from him.*

So this is what we have: a visual media for an auditory one. As Von said the The Crock and Bullshit Hall of Slime can politely go and fuck itself. I've been there. Not much to see unless you're really into nostalgia like Joe Strummer's boxer shorts.

*Billy Fury is a limey. David Bowie is a limey. Limeys stealing from other limeys I could less than a shit about.

Kristy
09-18-2023, 11:03 AM
One more mention. I love to see Phil Upchurch in there. Although he has drifted more into jazz his early days of ripping on a Strat were fucking incredible. Unfortunately, I cannot find any video of him doing so so this will have to do. Here he is with Booker T. and the MGs which is close enough for jazz:

https://youtu.be/1YEjCsv3mcI?si=p14aLQ6f3pue3YmO

Oh, and,

Class dismissed.

twonabomber
09-18-2023, 05:48 PM
I'm surprised Upchurch isn't in. He's got the resume for it. Should at least get in via the Musical Excellence category.

UCR ran an article about 135 artists not in the HOF. Not going to nitpick the whole list, but a lot of them seem to be big sellers and not influential. They have Jon Bon Jovi, solo, on there. For what? Is his solo stuff somehow more influential than the Bon Jovi discography? Bryan Adams. Big seller, for sure. Influential? Not to me.

Unfortunately (and I've probably said it in this thread) the inductees are more about who will bring ratings to the HBO broadcast of the induction ceremony. Having John Sykes (formerly of MTV) as chairman of the board of the HOF Foundation doesn't help, either. Booting Wenner is a good start. Bands like Priest and Metallica getting in means they get to vote for their influences and contemporaries.

Rikk
09-18-2023, 05:57 PM
The list of who should be in is endless. One could write a book...or several books.

BLUE OYSTER CULT, IRON MAIDEN, SOUNDGARDEN, ALICE IN CHAINS...and on and on and on...

The fact that fucking FOO FIGHTERS got in and SOUNDGARDEN haven't yet...that makes me sick.

twonabomber
09-19-2023, 12:03 AM
BOC...again, popular, but were they influential? Put Nazareth, Grand Funk, and Foghat in that basket too. When's the last time you saw Buck Dharma or Mark Farmer cited as an influence by someone in an interview?

Geeky girl I went to school with is a big Styx fan and regularly posts how Styx should get in. I'd say they were a better example of what NOT to do.

At least with Rage getting in this year, that's three more votes toward Soundgarden. I'm not a big grunge fan but I can see AIC and Soundgarden getting in.

Rikk
09-19-2023, 04:58 AM
BOC...again, popular, but were they influential? Put Nazareth, Grand Funk, and Foghat in that basket too. When's the last time you saw Buck Dharma or Mark Farmer cited as an influence by someone in an interview?

Geeky girl I went to school with is a big Styx fan and regularly posts how Styx should get in. I'd say they were a better example of what NOT to do.

At least with Rage getting in this year, that's three more votes toward Soundgarden. I'm not a big grunge fan but I can see AIC and Soundgarden getting in.

BLUE OYSTER CULT have a pretty rabid following (Stephen King's favorite band...he uses their songs in his books). They're not so much about the original members but their very unique sound. And I've read a lot of bands list them as an influence on their sound. I think they're amazing (though, admittedly, their great work is from the 1970s).

SOUNDGARDEN is the no-brainer. They had the greatest vocalist of their generation. Kim Thayil's playing was truly influential. And Matt Cameron is a monster drummer. I understand that PEARL JAM have the bigger following...but IMO, SOUNDGARDEN are so much better. (One of my very, very favorite bands...up their with VH.)

ALICE IN CHAINS too. They were amazing. They influenced a lot of bad bands (admittedly), but so did NIRVANA. NIRVANA were a great band but influenced a lot of bad bands in their wake. Jerry Cantrell is a great player...and AIC had a truly unique vocal harmony sound. Their stuff lasts. It's also ridiculous that they haven't gotten in. In fact, I don't think they've even been nominated.

I can't say I like music like STYX. But I do think FOREIGNER should be in. They not only sold so many damn records but they had a string of pretty unbeatable hits. Mick Jones may not have truly saved 5150, but he is a great producer/songwriter.

IRON MAIDEN...some consider them the most popular band in the world. They sell out massive stadiums in every continent. They influenced more bands than almost anyone in history apart from SABBATH, KISS, THE BEATLES, DEEP PURPLE and ZEPPELIN. (The fact that it took decades for DEEP PURPLE to get in is insane in and of itself. Ritchie Blackmore is still my favorite guitar-player.)

GRAND FUNK is one of those bands that Rolling Stone tries to pretend never existed. But they were Motor City giants, they played Shea Stadium when few were playing Shea Stadium...they were the biggest band in America from 1970-1973, maybe. And, again, they had a string of amazing FM-radio songs. And it was just the three of them...great players. They probably won't ever get in because of the elitist attitude...but they should.

FOGHAT...another influential band with a catalog that is too ignored. All of their 70s albums are great car music...great campfire music. They were much more than SLOW RIDE.

I never got into NAZARETH. Admittedly, I think I only know the one song. But I've read people talk about how much better they were than LOVE HURTS. I should check 'em out at some point.

Has RICK DERRINGER ever got in, even as a player? He's a great guitarist. His string of 70s solo albums are a lot of fun...with some cutting, smoking guitar-playing.

(OK...now I wait for Kristy to...uh...chime in.)

Rikk
09-19-2023, 06:57 AM
One more mention. I love to see Phil Upchurch in there. Although he has drifted more into jazz his early days of ripping on a Strat were fucking incredible.

I'm asking honestly (not obnoxiously) because I'm not familiar with him. Any particular tracks or albums you think would be a good start for him?

Rikk
09-19-2023, 07:39 AM
I stayed on the same block many times over the years. Refused to ever attend that shithole based on the non rock acts in there, and the real rock acts that aren't. That joke of a rock and roll hall of fame should be burnt to the ground.

How many rappers are in the country music hall of fame? How many rockers are in the country music hall of fame?

Fuck the "Rock and Roll" hall of fame.

A-fucking-men, Von.

While I will not say I've never been in the building, I can simply tell you to ask my wife how much bitching and yelling I did as we were driving away from the place. I was pissed that they left out so much stuff.

Even their "early rock 'n' roll" stuff was nowhere near as impressive or life-changing as the feeling I had when I went to Sun Studios and Graceland (in Memphis...the city my wife & I consider our home away from home).

I'm not saying there doesn't deserve to be a Rap Hall of Fame. I'm not sure if there is one, but if there is, all sorts of rappers deserve the credit and should be honored there: RUN-DMC (though they deserve to be in for influencing lots of rock artists, the song with Aerosmith, etc.), Tupac (not in the Rock Hall but in the Rap Hall), etc.

But I would argue that Beastie Boys deserved their Rock Hall induction. It has NOTHING to do with the fact that they're white. I mean that. It is because they started as a punk band and kept tons of rock and even metal elements in their sound throughout their career. Beastie Boys influenced a ton of rock acts...SABOTAGE is a rock song, pure and simple. (And ROOT DOWN is my favorite song by them.)

The fact that Dolly Parton (who I have nothing against) decided to record her first rock album AFTER she got in the Hall says plenty about the Rock Hall's credibility. She even asked them not to induct her after she was nominated!!

I'm Swedish...so while many of you may want to bitch about ABBA, I cannot do that. I grew up going to Sweden in the summer in the 1980s, so I have a lot of nostalgia for them. They were, however, purely a pop band. I have a hard time seeing them as a legitimate rock band, though they undoubtedly influenced a TON of rock bands (e.g. U2)...but they're not really a rock band. (They were extremely talented, though.)

Why the fuck is Willie Nelson in there? Again, I have nothing against him. He's a legitimately-good singer-songwriter. But he has NEVER been considered a rocker of any sort. He is a strictly country artist...maybe occasionally crossing over into pop.

Hell, one of the only traditional country artists who deserves, truly deserves, to be in the Rock Hall is Johnny Cash. He was country...but he was also rockabilly. And several of his albums had real rock material on it (listen to AMERICAN II, for example...let alone many of his 1950s & 1960s albums).

But where the "Rock Hall" really has lost the plot (besides ignoring tons of essential acts that don't meet Jann Wenner & Jon Landau's elitist bullshit) is in their starting to induct complete fucking tools like Missy Elliott or (nominated) Mary J. Blige. I mean, what the fuck? Really?

Make fun of me...but I have nothing against George Michael. But does he deserve to be in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame? Fuck, no. He's a pop artist. Singing five songs with Queen at a tribute concert does not make him a contender for the Rock Hall. That's fucking bullshit.

Lionel Richie?? Really? Again, I don't mind his music. He had some fun, catchy music in the 1980s. Pure fucking pop, though. The Commodores? Great funk/soul band...not remotely rock. And he's now become a country artist, hasn't he? (They seriously couldn't find an actual rock band more deserving??)

HOW ABOUT WHO HAS NEVER GOTTEN IN???
Do you know that Living Colour has never even been nominated? SERIOUSLY??

The Pixies have never been nominated. THAT'S INSANE. They were amazing...and very influential. (Frank Black alone is worthy of nomination.)

Nick Drake has never been nominated. The Rock Hall are morons. Did he sell a lot of records? No. Is he one of the most influential singer-songwriters to come out of Great Britain? Fuck, yes.

Procol Harum have been nominated once. Never got in. They were a great band. Their first record (WHITER SHADE OF PALE) was one of the biggest singles in music history. They recorded a slew of highly-regarded albums and have a rabid fanbase.

Sting. Nominated once (2015). Never been inducted. Now, yes, he's in with The Police. But he was huge solo too. And yes, he hasn't made a great album in ages. But his first four solo albums alone should have gotten him inducted.

White Stripes. Nominated...never got in. That's a joke. I'd take Jack White over 100 Dave Grohls any day. That guy can play...and write. He's cool...unlike Dave Grohl.

INXS have never been nominated. That's so stupid. They were HUGE. They were a really great band. Watch their 1991 LIVE BABY LIVE concert film and tell me that wasn't a great rock band. (I have a 4K Blu-Ray of it...it smokes.)

Midnight Oil have never been nominated. THAT'S FUCKING NUTS!! They were amazing! I've seen them live three times! (Including their 2017 reunion tour...I remember going the night after Chris Cornell died, so I was a bit bummed out.) They were one of the most dynamic live bands ever. They had a handful of big albums. Several hits (BEDS ARE BURNING, THE DEAD HEART, BLUE SKY MINE, FORGOTTEN YEARS, U.S. FORCES, TRUGANINI). They influenced a ton of good bands. But apparently not as rock 'n' roll as Missy Elliott.

MC5. Nominated 6 times. Never inducted. Not exactly my favorite band...but they fucking were one of the wellsprings that created punk. But I guess George Michael rocks better.

Neither Joy Division nor New Order have been inducted. Just nominated once.

Joe Cocker. Never nominated.

Jethro Tull. Never nominated.

Jane's Addiction. Nominated once. Never inducted.

Iggy Pop got in with The Stooges...but if they can nominate Graham Nash multiple times, IGGY deserves to go in for his solo career alone!!!

Black Flag. Never nominated.

Dead Kennedys. Never nominated (not that they would show up).

Warren Zevon. Nominated once (just this year). Didn't get in. Why? Because the Rock Hall are fucking absolute cunting morons.

Bad Company. Never nominated. SERIOUSLY??

Johnny Winter. Never nominated. Are they nuts?

Manfred Mann. Never nominated.

Sonic Youth. Never nominated.

Thin Lizzy. Nominated once. Never inducted. (THIS ONE REALLY PISSES ME OFF...PHIL LYNOTT WAS THE SHIT!)

Steve Winwood. Nominated once.

War. Nominated three times. Never got in. (That's bullshit...they were fucking great.)

Terry
09-19-2023, 08:10 AM
There are lot of new artist out there who are breaking the rules by actually writing and playing their own material unlike say, a certain duo in their 80s. You have to realize (and I think you do better than anyone else on here) that the music industry is dead. Anyone can call themselves a producer or even a professional musician with general knowledge of learning to play a few chords and a iPhone to record their crap on. As for the ones who developed a real skill in manipulating their instrument and has paid "dooos" are becoming more and more rare and the industry which has sold its soul to the commercial pop of visual instead of aural and music is all about being seen in these days an times (See: K Pop, the Masked singer, that fucking unwatchable The Voice).

The Crock and Bullshit Hall of (insert flavor of the month here) has always been abut ego tripping turning itself into a qualified bitch magnet for the likes of Dave Grohl. The concept of the place was great when it first marketed itself. It gave notion to the pioneers likes Chuck Berry (although he was a asshole), Buddy Holly, Everly Brothers, Gene Vincent which was all well and good until you start to get the vibe The Crock and Bullshit Hall of...shit just openly operates as a beauty contest. So many artist who possessed so much in the way originality and "dooo paying" are largely ignored. As far as I know Irma Thomas, Don Varner, Fontella Bass, Chuck Jackson, Eddie Hinton, Jimmy McGriff, Tammi Terrell and yes, even white limey artist like Billy Fury (huge "influence" on Bowie), The Artwoods, The Shadows (although they may be or Hank Marvin definitely belongs there) or even the Fame Gang are not in there or ever mentioned of being there. you all remember the Fame Gang, right? Give this a quick listen and guess how many people ripped them the fuck off (See; Earth, Wind and Fire)

https://youtu.be/xxQQA18sucU?si=sozP8BL3uDKjFBCE

And since I mentioned Bill Fury:

https://youtu.be/DIJDVCI9PDk?si=k8kiwnF8fjsLjh7E

Yeah, tell me Bowie did not steal from him.*

So this is what we have: a visual media for an auditory one. As Von said the The Crock and Bullshit Hall of Slime can politely go and fuck itself. I've been there. Not much to see unless you're really into nostalgia like Joe Strummer's boxer shorts.

*Billy Fury is a limey. David Bowie is a limey. Limeys stealing from other limeys I could less than a shit about.

I mean, I get that while I'm not dead yet, as a white American male in his early 50's whatever the music industry is these days I'm clearly not the demographic the contemporary music biz is targeting.

I dunno. It's like, I still get some degree of enjoyment out of the rock I grew up listening to, but even that material...there's only so many times I can listen to that stuff before it's just "fuck, I'm sick of hearing the same stuff over and over again."

Last ten years or so, I'm listening to more pop stuff than rock. Last tune I heard that turned me on was a Harry Styles song. So, I'm either listening to newer pop stuff or I'm going back and listening to older stuff I'm not as familiar with.

I liked Aerosmith up to and including Pump but could really give two fucks if they never tour again or release another record and if I'm driving around listening to terrestrial radio like a white geezer such as myself does and Walk This Way comes on, I change the station. I could give two shits about Iron Maiden and if Nico is gonna be able to play drums for them ever again...and I loved that fucking band circa 1985. Or a few years back when Deep Purple were inducted in the Hall Of Fame and there was this big kerfuffle over if Blackmore would show up and if the band would reunite with Blackmore and play Smoke On The Water "one last time, for the fans, man!" I love Deep Purple, loved Rainbow (even the Joe Lynn Turner stuff) but I'd sooner listen to Blackmore's Night play Renaissance music these days than Machine Head.

Rock and Roll has gotten old, boring, safe and corporatized. I see these working bands chugging out this newer metal-edged rock and they've all got their unforms on - jet black hair, black jeans, black shirts, tattoos - and all their gear and they're playing the notes but I hear zero passion or purpose. Just loads of professional musicians making uninspired music. Yawn-inducing and sad, but that's what rock has devolved to. I'd honestly rather listen to Rhianna than that stuff. I mean, fuck, say what you want about...like, Bill Haley and The Comets but at least there was a bit of fire and spirit there way back when.

twonabomber
09-19-2023, 10:39 AM
Johnny Cash is in, class of '92. His tour bus is parked out front on the plaza.

Full list of inductees https://www.rockhall.com/inductees/a-z

There was a Sun Studios display that included the original mixing board and tape machine but I don't remember if it's still there.

The archives are currently housed at Cuyahoga Community College. The Rock Hall is going to add on to the building and eventually the archives will be kept on site.

Kristy
09-19-2023, 02:01 PM
I'm asking honestly (not obnoxiously) because I'm not familiar with him. Any particular tracks or albums you think would be a good start for him?

You Can't Sit Down (Parts 1 & 2) was probably his biggest and only hit.

The other, his 1968 recording Feeling Blue

https://youtu.be/egpjFtJbEUg?si=xZCREjb7wG4K9N7M

https://youtu.be/qgzNOHVEYjA?si=9TFRwmDwWMObgGTv

https://youtu.be/lIyx9vOfFMI?si=_TDuQrKSNlN8ufXE

I know, he does sound sound like a bit of a Albert King knock off at times. To meeeeeeee a lot of his early recordings were poorly recorded and produced unlike say a bloated, I mean, pristine Sandy Pearlman BOC offering.

Kristy
09-19-2023, 02:12 PM
Rock and Roll has gotten old, boring, safe and corporatized. I see these working bands chugging out this newer metal-edged rock and they've all got their unforms on - jet black hair, black jeans, black shirts, tattoos - and all their gear and they're playing the notes but I hear zero passion or purpose. Just loads of professional musicians making uninspired music.

:high5::biggrin:

You know what you just did there? You just described emo to a golf tee. Here a perfect example:

https://youtu.be/UwDyqbXHNaQ?si=_ZZoRDOwe6aHv-Ki

Rich kids that crawl out of places like Brooklyn. I have a coworker who loves this horseshit.

Rikk
09-19-2023, 04:24 PM
Johnny Cash is in, class of '92. His tour bus is parked out front on the plaza.

Full list of inductees https://www.rockhall.com/inductees/a-z

There was a Sun Studios display that included the original mixing board and tape machine but I don't remember if it's still there.

The archives are currently housed at Cuyahoga Community College. The Rock Hall is going to add on to the building and eventually the archives will be kept on site.

Oh, I'm aware Cash is in. I was just making a point about MOST country artists not really deserving...but Cash definitely deserved to be in. It was in the lower half of my (rather long) post that I listed artists who aren't in (who should be).

I bet the Sun Studios exhibit was great. Being in the original studio is...mind-blowing.

twonabomber
09-19-2023, 06:16 PM
Back to your other post...as big of a Sting/Police fan I am, I just don't see him getting in solo. Sure, the first solo band was a bunch of jazzbos, but does that really count? His stuff turned into MOR sludge after those first few solo albums. And that kind of describes Winwood solo, and Clapton after Journeyman/24 Nights, and Frampton after When All The Pieces Fit.

Zevon absolutely should be in.

Midnight Oil...leaning toward the political/activist side of things, so maybe? I mean, that's the thinking behind putting Rage Against The Machine in, I guess.

INXS. Majorly influential to me personally. I know those songs inside out, backwards forwards...enough that I will never go see an INXS tribute band, because there is no way it will ever be good enough for me. I will sit there and nitpick that motherfucker and complain all the way home and wonder why I spent money on that shit. Saw them four times from Kick forward, the last a couple months before Michael Hutchence died. Hutchence could work a room with the best of them.

Dead Kennedys and Black Flag. How do you have Green Day (highly derivative and not innovative IMO) and not more of the original wave of punk bands? They probably wouldn't show up anyways, but still, why not induct them?

Jethro Tull...meh. "Oh, Anderson plays FLUTE!" Not enough in my eyes. Our former mod Mr. Walker was a fan.

Maybe Duran Duran getting in means more New Wave gets in. DD should have been in earlier, their use of video is the definition of "perpetuation of rock and roll." Finally saw them the other night, great show.

The UCR article has Hagar solo on their list. For what? I've always said Dave solo is a stretch, too. The only way Cherone gets in is if he buys a ticket.

What from the 90's "nu metal" gets in? Most of that is shit. But that's just my age talking :D

Kristy
09-19-2023, 06:33 PM
INXS. Majorly influential to me personally. I know those songs inside out, backwards forwards...enough that I will never go see an INXS tribute band, because there is no way it will ever be good enough for me. I will sit there and nitpick that motherfucker and complain all the way home and wonder why I spent money on that shit. Saw them four times from Kick forward, the last a couple months before Michael Hutchence died. Hutchence could work a room with the best of them.

Never was a big fan of them but used to get into arguments with hipster music snobs that Andre Farriss was a tremendous songwriter -seeing him and Hutchence wrote the majority of their biggest hits. Now he sold his soul and is working with that prick from Def Leppard

https://magnetmagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/AndrewFarriss.jpg

twonabomber
09-19-2023, 06:54 PM
Even worse, Andrew Farriss has gone country.

Rikk
09-19-2023, 07:42 PM
You Can't Sit Down (Parts 1 & 2) was probably his biggest and only hit.

The other, his 1968 recording Feeling Blue

https://youtu.be/egpjFtJbEUg?si=xZCREjb7wG4K9N7M

https://youtu.be/qgzNOHVEYjA?si=9TFRwmDwWMObgGTv

https://youtu.be/lIyx9vOfFMI?si=_TDuQrKSNlN8ufXE

I know, he does sound sound like a bit of a Albert King knock off at times. To meeeeeeee a lot of his early recordings were poorly recorded and produced unlike say a bloated, I mean, pristine Sandy Pearlman BOC offering.

Thanks, Kristy. I'll check these out!

FORD
09-19-2023, 08:05 PM
Even worse, Andrew Farriss has gone country

Guess he figured if Keith Urban can get away with it... that opens up the door to Kangaroo Kountry....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58jt8nYm9fw

FORD
09-19-2023, 08:10 PM
This one sounds more like Dire Straits than INXS. Lead guitar is very Knopfler like...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKy0NyGfqbU

Kristy
09-19-2023, 10:14 PM
That's terrible!

FORD
09-19-2023, 10:33 PM
It definitely ain't Shabooh Shoobah

Jérôme Frenchise
09-20-2023, 05:18 AM
There used to be great induction speeches. Pete Townshend was great at it (for the Stones, Pink Floyd).
But I think the best speech ever was Little Richard's for Otis Redding's induction.

https://youtu.be/YUvHBirr1PI?si=BWZ7bEBTjj6bEDVw

The way he sings Otis' songs is amazing.

Rikk
09-20-2023, 10:45 AM
Back to your other post...as big of a Sting/Police fan I am, I just don't see him getting in solo. Sure, the first solo band was a bunch of jazzbos, but does that really count? His stuff turned into MOR sludge after those first few solo albums.

You may be right. I mean, yes, Peter Gabriel got in both as a member of Genesis and as a solo artist. But I think nobody would claim that Sting solo is as influential as Gabriel solo. Putting Gabriel in as a solo artist is a no-brainer.

That said, Sting was still freaking huge as a solo artist. He sold tons of records. He definitely became a superstar in his own right. He definitely influenced a lot of people.

I still maintain that DREAM OF THE BLUE TURTLES is a great album. (I like the movie about this album, BRING ON THE NIGHT, even more.)

NOTHING LIKE THE SUN (the 2nd solo LP) is also very good, if a bit overlong. ENGLISHMAN IN NEW YORK is like The Police single that never was. (FORTRESS AROUND MY HEART, from DREAM, also sounds like it could have come off SYNCHRONICITY.)

THE SOUL CAGES was also very good (maybe not quite as good as the first two LPs).

A lot of people found TEN SUMMONER'S TALES too poppy, but songs like LOVE IS STRONGER THAN JUSTICE and SEVEN DAYS are really good.

After those LPs, his work becomes admittedly spotty. But it would be hard to deny that Sting's solo career has existed mostly on its own terms and he hasn't just tried to replicate The Police sound.

(He's also embarrassed himself, making flute albums and shit.)

twonabomber
09-20-2023, 10:58 AM
I saw those first few Sting solo tours, all at Blossom. Going to see Andy Summers next month, a combination of his music and photography. 650 seat capacity room.

Terry
09-20-2023, 11:16 AM
You may be right. I mean, yes, Peter Gabriel got in both as a member of Genesis and as a solo artist. But I think nobody would claim that Sting solo is as influential as Gabriel solo. Putting Gabriel in as a solo artist is a no-brainer.

That said, Sting was still freaking huge as a solo artist. He sold tons of records. He definitely became a superstar in his own right. He definitely influenced a lot of people.

I still maintain that DREAM OF THE BLUE TURTLES is a great album. (I like the movie about this album, BRING ON THE NIGHT, even more.)

NOTHING LIKE THE SUN (the 2nd solo LP) is also very good, if a bit overlong. ENGLISHMAN IN NEW YORK is like The Police single that never was. (FORTRESS AROUND MY HEART, from DREAM, also sounds like it could have come off SYNCHRONICITY.)

THE SOUL CAGES was also very good (maybe not quite as good as the first two LPs).

A lot of people found TEN SUMMONER'S TALES too poppy, but songs like LOVE IS STRONGER THAN JUSTICE and SEVEN DAYS are really good.

After those LPs, his work becomes admittedly spotty. But it would be hard to deny that Sting's solo career has existed mostly on its own terms and he hasn't just tried to replicate The Police sound.

(He's also embarrassed himself, making flute albums and shit.)

Putting aside the HOF, I enjoyed more than a few things Sting did in his solo career.

Can't say I enjoyed it as much as The Police, but The Police...they were just one of my favorite bands. Period.

Took balls to leave The Police and go solo. The Police...man, they were just getting bigger and bigger. However, in retrospect, disbanding when they did and only reconvening for a few select occasions was a smart move. The group put out 5 fantastic albums, went out on top and didn't flog the nostalgia of it into the ground.

But...yeah. Turtles was different, but great, agreed. The Bring On The Night movie...the surprise for me was that his band ended up upstaging him a bit...what a great ensemble!

Nothing Like The Sun I remember listening to a lot when it came out. Hasn't aged quite as well for me.

But, you know, it'd be unfair in a way to be too critical in comparing Sting solo to The Police. Mostly because The Police were just fucking brilliant, and without Summers and Copeland...as important as Sting was to The Police as the primary songwriter it definitely took what all three brought to the table to make it what it was.

twonabomber
09-20-2023, 11:24 AM
Conflict creates great art. I'm pretty sure Stewart Copeland wasn't referring to Andy Summers

https://www.jambase.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/07/stewart-copeland-the-police.jpg

Rikk
09-20-2023, 11:25 AM
And that kind of describes Winwood solo, and Clapton after Journeyman/24 Nights, and Frampton after When All The Pieces Fit.

Winwood has had some good solo stuff. Albums like ARC OF A DIVER are really respected. It's too bad, however, that Winwood does not have a sprawling catalog of great solo albums that match his reputation as one of the great singers/players/songwriters to come out of 1960s England. He's been inducted as part of Traffic...well deserved.

It's too bad Blind Faith only made one album. That 1969 album really gets overlooked...in my opinion, it is easily one of the highlights of both Winwood's and Clapton's careers. HAD TO CRY TODAY, CAN'T FIND MY WAY HOME, PRESENCE OF THE LORD, SEA OF JOY...these are all great songs.

Clapton's solo career has had plenty of peaks...and plenty of valleys. But I think few self-respecting rock experts would claim he hasn't done enough solo to warrant his solo induction. And he's done some reasonably good work in recent years (his 2010 solo LP, CLAPTON, is actually pretty damn good...if a bit light). A lot of his recent successes, however, are based on nostalgia, like the 2005 Cream reunion (I really love the Blu-Ray of the Royal Albert Hall reunion gigs) and his really great live LP/film with Steve Winwood from 2008 (during which they play a lot of great material, including several Blind Faith songs).

I have to admit...I'm really not very knowledgeable concerning Frampton. The only album I really know is FRAMPTON COMES ALIVE. Mind you, I really enjoy that album. (I don't even really know Humble Pie.)

Zevon absolutely should be in.

You bet! His first two real solo LPs (1976 & 1978) are both masterpieces. And albums like THE ENVOY and even THE WIND have very strong material. He was a great (and unique) songwriter.

On a similar note, I cannot believe John Prine has not been inducted (nominated once). Again, killer songwriter, very influential.

Midnight Oil...leaning toward the political/activist side of things, so maybe? I mean, that's the thinking behind putting Rage Against The Machine in, I guess.

You're right...very political. Even that aside, they wrote so many great songs and were killer performers. I'm a big INXS fan...but Midnight Oil were (IMO) even better. I actually list 10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1 as one of the best albums to come out of the 1980s. It's truly a masterpiece. And DIESEL AND DUST was a huge album. Will they get in? Who knows? They do have a big ally in David Fricke, who always champions the band...though I don't know if he's actually on the Rock Hall's Board or if he's even a voter.

Yeah, Hutchence was such a great frontman. I absolutely love the LIVE BABY LIVE 4K disc I have. It's one of the most stunning things I've ever watched in my home theater. You're lucky, by the way. Yeah, I saw Midnight Oil three times...but I never got a chance to see INXS, for some reason. (And it sounds like you agree with me on the idea that any of their post-1997 reunions were not INXS.)

A lot of people claim KICK is their best album...but I actually think LISTEN LIKE THIEVES is a stronger LP.

Dead Kennedys and Black Flag. How do you have Green Day (highly derivative and not innovative IMO) and not more of the original wave of punk bands? They probably wouldn't show up anyways, but still, why not induct them?

I could not agree with you more!! Green Day is so hugely fucking overrated...similar to Foo Fighters. Green Day, in my humble opinion, did nothing new. They took the sounds of tons of classic punk bands from both sides of the pond, mixed in some of the bombast of even bands like Queen, and made a sort of more media-friendly, watered-down version of punk/pop. And I find them (for the most part) kinda boring. An unexciting band. A bad band? I didn't say that. But I can't imagine myself ever getting truly excited about Green Day in any way.

Dead Kennedys? Yes, a west coast punk band. But who else did they sound like? Nobody!! East Bay Ray created a guitar sound that is instantly identifiable. Peligro was such a great drummer (just passed away). And Jello Biafra? One of the most uncompromising frontmen ever...and a great lyricist. They truly are one of the most dangerous-sounding bands that ever graced a stage. And of course they wouldn't show up. But who cares? (But yes, let's be honest...the Hall inducts people based on which inductions will get high T.V. ratings...it has nothing to do with credibility.)

Black Flag influenced thousands of bands. They were important. And, of course, they'll never get in.

Jethro Tull...meh. "Oh, Anderson plays FLUTE!" Not enough in my eyes. Our former mod Mr. Walker was a fan.

I like them. But I'm not the massive fan my friend is. They really should be inducted. They were pretty huge, influential...have their own sound.

Maybe Duran Duran getting in means more New Wave gets in. DD should have been in earlier, their use of video is the definition of "perpetuation of rock and roll." Finally saw them the other night, great show.

I like Duran Duran. Never had a chance to see them live. If I did see them, it would make me very happy if they played my favorite DD song, THE CHAUFFER (but I know they don't play it live very often). They were influential, they were easily one of the rock video pioneers...had their own sound...a solid singer...a solid look.

The UCR article has Hagar solo on their list. For what? I've always said Dave solo is a stretch, too.

Hagar will never in a million years be inducted (thank God). I can't imagine that even being considered. I can't imagine any self-respecting music personality giving a speech, talking about how influential THREE LOCK BOX was to the world.

I love David Lee Roth. He was the ultimate frontman and the only singer for Van Halen. And even I will admit: he does not deserve to be inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame as a solo artist. He simply didn't do enough unique material or really create anything new as a solo artist. It'll never happen.

What from the 90's "nu metal" gets in? Most of that is shit. But that's just my age talking :D

For me, the 1990s is so much my generation. That's when I went to High School, etc. But I guess the "grunge age" was my generation's movement...the "Nu Metal" stuff came later. And most of it does nothing for me. I have NO love of Korn...I'm not really a Slipknot fan (though I have nothing against Corey Taylor)...I did enjoy the first three Limp Bizkit albums as "guilty pleasures" (make fun of me all you want...I was young). WHICH of these deserves to be inducted into a Hall of Fame? None of them, I think...though I'm not the expert on this genre.

Let me know if I'm leaving out any of these bands.

twonabomber
09-20-2023, 11:32 AM
Duran Duran aren't doing Chauffeur this tour, but they opened with Night Boat and played Friends Of Mine later in the set. First album well represented.

My friend's kid is way into Green Day, I tell him go back and dig into the '80's punk.

Rikk
09-20-2023, 11:33 AM
The only way Cherone gets in is if he buys a ticket.

Gary Cherone will be inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame for Tribe of Judah. They were one of the biggest bands in rock history. They were mind-numbingly huge and changed not only the face of music but our entire planet. When I think of 2001-2003, I think not only of 9/11, the Bush years and the "War On Terror," I also think about how everybody in the world was talking about Gary Cherone and his ass-kicking hard rock combo, Tribe of Judah.

Any band who has a Wikipedia entry that is exactly one paragraph long deserves Rock Hall recognition. And it could never be denied that they sold dozens of albums back in the day!!

So this is love
09-20-2023, 12:37 PM
I want Steel Panther to be nominated and inducted...Fucking RRHOF.

Rikk
09-20-2023, 04:40 PM
I want Steel Panther to be nominated and inducted...Fucking RRHOF.

"Cuz my heart belongs to you...
but my cock is community property."

So this is love
09-20-2023, 07:12 PM

...and death to all but metal.

So this is love
09-21-2023, 09:37 AM

That guitar riff is insane, I could listen to it all day...

Seshmeister
09-21-2023, 08:51 PM
Are you sure that's the one you are thinking of?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_sj_MfHWyQ

So this is love
09-22-2023, 08:02 AM
Are you sure that's the one you are thinking of?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_sj_MfHWyQ

Oh no...lol I was refering to Just like Tiger Woods...

So this is love
09-22-2023, 02:22 PM
Oh no...lol I was refering to Just like Tiger Woods...

Steel Panther should be inducted just for the fact that they use the words "community property" in two different songs...how many bands have achieved this in their career...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jKNvXX-394

Terry
09-23-2023, 01:14 PM
Gary Cherone will be inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame for Tribe of Judah. They were one of the biggest bands in rock history. They were mind-numbingly huge and changed not only the face of music but our entire planet. When I think of 2001-2003, I think not only of 9/11, the Bush years and the "War On Terror," I also think about how everybody in the world was talking about Gary Cherone and his ass-kicking hard rock combo, Tribe of Judah.

Any band who has a Wikipedia entry that is exactly one paragraph long deserves Rock Hall recognition. And it could never be denied that they sold dozens of albums back in the day!!

At this point, the RnRHoF has let so many bands in...like, why the fuck NOT let Gary Cherone in? Let 'em all in. Let Josie And The Pussycats in. Let the Saved By The Bell miming cast band in.

As if anybody under 50 years old even gives two fucks.

Rikk
09-23-2023, 01:41 PM
At this point, the RnRHoF has let so many bands in...like, why the fuck NOT let Gary Cherone in? Let 'em all in. Let Josie And The Pussycats in. Let the Saved By The Bell miming cast band in.

As if anybody under 50 years old even gives two fucks.

What about the one-off side album, JUDAH AND THE PUSSYCATS (the Pussycats but let by Gary Cherone instead of the usually ever-present Josie)? It was a side-band that sold pairs of album!!

Terry
09-23-2023, 03:13 PM
What about the one-off side album, JUDAH AND THE PUSSYCATS (the Pussycats but let by Gary Cherone instead of the usually ever-present Josie)? It was a side-band that sold pairs of album!!

Like, put it this way...

I've liked the band X since I first heard them in the early 80s. LA punk band, released their first records in the late 1970s. First 4 or so albums were just...just great, great stuff.

They got some notoriety but were never super-famous or anything approaching that...MAYBE a couple of their albums eventually went platinum literally a decade or more after their initial release.

Point being, I have no idea if the band are in the Hall Of Fame or ever will be or whatever, and their inclusion (or lack thereof) has zero bearing on how I feel about their music. Does anyone seriously need the Hall Of Fame to include a band they like? Does said inclusion actually increase the enjoyment level of listening to the band one iota?

I dunno...I remember the hub-bub over KISS and the Hall Of Fame, like, a decade back or so. And fans saying the band should be in there and should have been in there years ago, blah blah blah. And I just remember not giving a single shit nor being able to understand why anyone else would. And I used to like KISS, so it wasn't a case of me never having had any use for the band ever. It was the same thing when...say...I recall a similar thing about Judas Priest not being in the Hall Of Fame. I liked Judas Priest just fine and couldn't have cared less one way or the other if the band were in there or not.

So this is love
09-23-2023, 06:14 PM
They should rename the RRHOF the Music HOF and most people wouldn't have a problem with the rap and country nominees. The fact it is called the RNR HOF is the problem, at least for me...

twonabomber
09-23-2023, 07:07 PM
They should rename the RRHOF the Music HOF and most people wouldn't have a problem with the rap and country nominees. The fact it is called the RNR HOF is the problem, at least for me...

Every time a non-rock act is inducted, there is a backlash. Then there are the people who defend that induction, saying stuff like "well, it all feeds back into itself" and "they were influenced by" etc. Usually by writers who are fans of said inductee.

There was a younger writer who worked for the daily paper here who would do that. He would also write articles about what shows we had needed to see in the 80's...when he was maybe ten years old...and didn't even live in Cleveland. It's like he would raid Jane Scott's notebooks. Jane Scott was a rock writer for the same paper FOREVER and was deemed to be the end all be all. I'd read his articles about shows I'd been to and always remembered it differently. He would also run articles about who should be in the HOF, one band was Pavement. Ever heard of Pavement? Me, neither.

"You can't please everyone all the time" applies to the Rock Hall.

So this is love
09-23-2023, 07:23 PM
Every time a non-rock act is inducted, there is a backlash. Then there are the people who defend that induction, saying stuff like "well, it all feeds back into itself" and "they were influenced by" etc. Usually by writers who are fans of said inductee.

There was a younger writer who worked for the daily paper here who would do that. He would also write articles about what shows we had needed to see in the 80's...when he was maybe ten years old...and didn't even live in Cleveland. It's like he would raid Jane Scott's notebooks. Jane Scott was a rock writer for the same paper FOREVER and was deemed to be the end all be all. I'd read his articles about shows I'd been to and always remembered it differently. He would also run articles about who should be in the HOF, one band was Pavement. Ever heard of Pavement? Me, neither.

"You can't please everyone all the time" applies to the Rock Hall.

I fully understand the subjectivity involved in the choices made and the RRHOF is probably a for-profit organization, which I am too lazy to verify but each year when I see the nominees, I feel less and less like the targeted audience. Maybe I am getting too old...My wife told me 57 was the new 37 lol

Nitro Express
09-23-2023, 11:04 PM
The real hall of fame is how many fans you have.

Nitro Express
09-23-2023, 11:12 PM
Conflict creates great art. I'm pretty sure Stewart Copeland wasn't referring to Andy Summers

https://www.jambase.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/07/stewart-copeland-the-police.jpg

Stewart is great. I had the privilege of meeting him a few years ago and he couldn’t have been nicer.

Nitro Express
09-23-2023, 11:16 PM
Duran Duran aren't doing Chauffeur this tour, but they opened with Night Boat and played Friends Of Mine later in the set. First album well represented.

My friend's kid is way into Green Day, I tell him go back and dig into the '80's punk.

Some great bass playing on DD songs. Love the bass lines on Rio.

Rikk
09-24-2023, 07:35 AM
Stewart is great. I had the privilege of meeting him a few years ago and he couldn’t have been nicer.

I play drums. Got a recording studio in my basement. While I am officially the vocalist for the songs I write/record with my band, I usually do the Phil Collins thing and lay down the drums before the other guys do bass, guitars, sometimes keyboards (which I do too)...

I can play all sorts of drums and sometimes try to emulate players I enjoy...

...but the one guy I never even TRY to emulate in any way is Stewart Copeland.

The guy is simply too amazing to even try and emulate.

I hear rock fans always go on and on about Neil Peart...and with good reason...

...but the guy (to me) who is BEYOND amazing and yet makes it sound so easy (even though it's not remotely easy) is Stewart Copeland.

The man is a GOD on drums. Talk about being born with a gift.

I thought The Police's reunion tour was a competent, excellent return by a great band. My girlfriend (now wife) & I thoroughly enjoyed the show we saw. But the band were clearly in it for the money. It was a little too laid-back, a little too Sting-a-fied play-the-songs-and-go...

...and yet I still spent the night marveling at how amazing Stewart was. Even if the band were doing some kinda laid-back versions of some of the songs, Stewart was simply amazing.

twonabomber
09-24-2023, 10:36 AM
I thought The Police's reunion tour was a competent, excellent return by a great band. My girlfriend (now wife) & I thoroughly enjoyed the show we saw. But the band were clearly in it for the money. It was a little too laid-back, a little too Sting-a-fied play-the-songs-and-go...

...and yet I still spent the night marveling at how amazing Stewart was. Even if the band were doing some kinda laid-back versions of some of the songs, Stewart was simply amazing.

The songs were mostly done the way Sting played them with his solo band. My friend said "hey, that's different!" and if you had ever seen Sting solo, it really wasn't.

I remember standing in line for the tickets. A couple had gotten to the Ticketmaster outlet before I did, and we were talking about Sting's music. The guy brought up the lute album and some of the later solo records and I'm thinking "this show might not be for you" lol because there wasn't gonna be any of that shit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmBdz1txGSo

The Police show here in 2007 was on Stewart Copeland's birthday. The VH show a few months later was on Dave's birthday.

I picked up Copeland's Police Deranged For Orchestra but haven't listened to it yet.

Copeland has some good stuff on his YouTube, that drum program he did on the BBC was good.

Terry
09-24-2023, 11:21 AM
I watched a bunch of stuff from the reunion tour - maybe it was a documentary...I can't remember now - and did notice the arrangements had been changed. I kinda gave The Police a pass on it because they hadn't been retiring and unretiring for decades, and history since has thus far proved that to in fact be a one-off reunion tour. One tune on the reunion tour that really stood out to me re: rearranging was Synchronicity II, which sounded a bit too manned on the reunion tour for my tastes. There were a couple other tunes I recall being more than a bit reconstituted and am assuming it was all a bit more laid back simply because the band itself was 25 years older and a bit too long in the tooth to blitz the tunes out energy-wise in the manner that they had a quarter-century older.

But, again, the band did the one-off reunion and didn't keep flogging it into the ground. A classy way to go about it. Doubtless one gets the sense that Copeland and Summers would like to have done more, but The Police were ultimately smart in that they went out on top and didn't stay too long at the party.

Kristy
09-24-2023, 12:31 PM
...but the guy (to me) who is BEYOND amazing and yet makes it sound so easy (even though it's not remotely easy) is Stewart Copeland.

The only drummer that Neil Whathisface stole from. To meeeeeeeeeeeee his best playing was not with that fuckface ego-tripping puke Stung but when he formed Animal Logic. Seeing (and reiterating) that I am so much cooler than all of you cretins I recommend you pick up an Animal Logic album if you can find them. (Been out of print for years)

https://youtu.be/Xs-O1NmQKhA?si=TVHFLt2TKUSlL5xE

Fault with Animal Logic they weren't not only fucking boring, they are awful to take drugs to. I am at the point in my life where I solely base a band's worth and merit if I enjoy doing various drugs to their music. Animal Logic is not one of them.

Kristy
09-24-2023, 12:35 PM
Now, you cretins may be asking, "Well, fuck me like a goose in a hot oven, Kristy. Just what is a good Copeland tune-ish I can take my (expensive) drugs to and not worry about looking like a dick in the process?"

Here ya go:

https://youtu.be/5V_rVaiveNg?si=V4ojscwJeB8fPD97

The shit I do for you cretins. I swear.

Rikk
09-24-2023, 12:39 PM
The songs were mostly done the way Sting played them with his solo band. My friend said "hey, that's different!" and if you had ever seen Sting solo, it really wasn't.

Yeah, it still was a really good show. I also ALWAYS enjoy when bands jam on things and play around with them...NOT just redoing the songs EXACTLY like the studio versions. (For example, I really like AIN'T TALKIN' 'BOUT LOVE in particular on the TOKYO DOME live album because they really jam it out and don't just re-create the studio version.)

I picked up Copeland's Police Deranged For Orchestra but haven't listened to it yet.

I've heard good things about that release. Been meaning to pick it up.

I watched a bunch of stuff from the reunion tour - maybe it was a documentary...

The documentary that comes with the Buenos Aires Blu-Ray is really cool. Lots of behind the scenes shit with some tension and everything. Just really cool to see. (It's amazing how much better The Police were than Van Halen when it comes to having a TON of professionally-shot footage and documentaries. Stewart's DOES EVERYONE STARE documentary, all shot from his personal 8mm film collection and with instrumental/merge tracks from the band's multitrack tapes is really cool.)

But, again, the band did the one-off reunion and didn't keep flogging it into the ground. A classy way to go about it. Doubtless one gets the sense that Copeland and Summers would like to have done more, but The Police were ultimately smart in that they went out on top and didn't stay too long at the party.

I think Summers would have done more...but EVERYTHING Copeland says about the reunion is that he's glad he did it, he's glad that a lot of fans who never had a chance before got to see the band...but he's happy to just be friends with Sting and Andy without having to slog through difficult tours with them.

I really wanted a reunion album...even if it were The Police doing modern Sting material...but I knew it was never going to happen.

I'm just happy. I saw The Police. Awesome (I was 7 when SYNCHRONICITY came out). It was cool hearing some of the arrangements of songs I love like BRING ON THE NIGHT. I got a great Blu-Ray/live album (with documentary) out of it that I've enjoyed a few times. And, to this day, I still have a TON of great concert footage, documentaries and other stuff from their classic years. Not only are there a ton of official releases, there are at least 15 or more professionally-shot concerts (in GREAT quality) that fans can enjoy on YouTube. I've downloaded them all and made a great Blu-Ray series out of them for my home theater.

Kristy
09-24-2023, 12:41 PM
I watched a bunch of stuff from the reunion tour - maybe it was a documentary...I can't remember now - and did notice the arrangements had been changed.

Stung is such a cock. Their producer on Synchronsuckity Hugh Padgham speaks in endless stories of how much Stung and Copeland argured so much he called the suits at A&M trying to get out of his contract on working on the album. Hugh spoke of how cock smock Stung would have Hugh erase of lot of Copeland's drum tracks simply because he thought they were "absolute shit."

Rikk
09-24-2023, 12:46 PM
The only drummer that Neil Whathisface stole from. To meeeeeeeeeeeee his best playing was not with that fuckface ego-tripping puke Stung but when he formed Animal Logic. Seeing (and reiterating) that I am so much cooler than all of you cretins I recommend you pick up an Animal Logic album if you can find them. (Been out of print for years)

https://youtu.be/Xs-O1NmQKhA?si=TVHFLt2TKUSlL5xE

Fault with Animal Logic they weren't not only fucking boring, they are awful to take drugs to. I am at the point in my life where I solely base a band's worth and merit if I enjoy doing various drugs to their music. Animal Logic is not one of them.

I have to say...I went into it with an open mind but I just don't hear it. Stewart has played much better on songs like WRAPPED AROUND YOUR FINGER and ONE WORLD (NOT THREE). (That said, the bass player is seriously good.) But you're right...it's not a great song...not the worst thing I've ever heard, but not great.

Maybe I should have taken some drugs to this. Well, I had back surgery and I'm still in some real pain, so I actually did take a Norco this morning...but the song isn't enhancing the experience.

Rikk
09-24-2023, 12:47 PM
Now, you cretins may be asking, "Well, fuck me like a goose in a hot oven, Kristy. Just what is a good Copeland tune-ish I can take my (expensive) drugs to and not worry about looking like a dick in the process?"

This is, to this day, one of my favorite car songs.

Nitro Express
09-24-2023, 12:48 PM
I play drums. Got a recording studio in my basement. While I am officially the vocalist for the songs I write/record with my band, I usually do the Phil Collins thing and lay down the drums before the other guys do bass, guitars, sometimes keyboards (which I do too)...

I can play all sorts of drums and sometimes try to emulate players I enjoy...

...but the one guy I never even TRY to emulate in any way is Stewart Copeland.

The guy is simply too amazing to even try and emulate.

I hear rock fans always go on and on about Neil Peart...and with good reason...

The man is a GOD on drums. Talk about being born with a gift.

He’s a good guy to talk to about music in general. He really understands it. My wife’s nephew is majoring in music and wants to be a professional drummer. The advice Stewart gave was look at yourself as a musician and not just a drummer and you are going to have to be creative to make a living in music. Session musicians aren’t needed like they once were and recorded music doesn’t have the value it did. He said it’s all about being creative looking for opportunities and having the courage to try new things.

Kristy
09-24-2023, 12:49 PM
From Stewart himself*

https://youtu.be/DyjziE5WTyE?si=nNeEqzRsQfmNBNcA

(Skip ahead to 5:18-ish)

*WARNING: This is a limey podcast with that fucking creep from Spandu Ballet and some shitty bass player. Listen at your own risk.

Rikk
09-24-2023, 12:50 PM
Stung is such a cock. Their producer on Synchronsuckity Hugh Padgham speaks in endless stories of how much Stung and Copeland argured so much he called the suits at A&M trying to get out of his contract on working on the album. Hugh spoke of how cock smock Stung would have Hugh erase of lot of Copeland's drum tracks simply because he thought they were "absolute shit."

Yeah, I heard this too. It's amazing...because for the most part, that last album is one of their best. It's very creative...and while Sting is very pretentious, it hasn't overtaken his music the way it would eventually in his solo career. But yes, there they were in Monserrat, recording amazing music...and Sting would bitch to/about Stewart all the time.

I'm glad I have DREAM OF THE BLUE TURTLES. It's a great, great album...musicians (collectively) even better than The Police. But he never made another solo album quite as strong as that one...and if it hadn't been such a success, he would have had his ego knocked down a few rungs and maybe we would have gotten more Police music.

Kristy
09-24-2023, 12:51 PM
I have to say...I went into it with an open mind but I just don't hear it. Stewart has played much better on songs like WRAPPED AROUND YOUR FINGER and ONE WORLD (NOT THREE). (That said, the bass player is seriously good.) But you're right...it's not a great song...not the worst thing I've ever heard, but not great.

That was all Hugh Padgham. After all, he made Phil Collins sound er, passable.

Kristy
09-24-2023, 12:53 PM
I'm glad I have DREAM OF THE BLUE TURTLES. It's a great, great album...musicians (collectively) even better than The Police. But he never made another solo album quite as strong as that one...and if it hadn't been such a success, he would have had his ego knocked down a few rungs and maybe we would have gotten more Police music.

THAT fucking album was all Pete Smith who made Stung sound like a limp-wristed Style Council-era Paul Weller.

Nitro Express
Stewart told me he was trained to be a jazz drummer but he said growing up in the Middle East and hearing Arabic music all the time probably influenced his style. He said Arabic music has interesting drum styles and again, it’s about being creative and doing something different. Well his drumming was definitely different. I saw the Ghost in the Machine tour and Stewart blew me away.

Rikk
He’s a good guy to talk to about music in general. He really understands it. My wife’s nephew is majoring in music and wants to be a professional drummer. The advice Stewart gave was look at yourself as a musician and not just a drummer and you are going to have to be creative to make a living in music. Session musicians aren’t needed like they once were and recorded music doesn’t have the value it did. He said it’s all about being creative looking for opportunities and having the courage to try new things.

In the 1981 documentary (hosted by Jools Holland) showing the band in the studio recording GHOST IN THE MACHINE, Stewart is by far the most engaging interviewee. Just listen to the part during which he breaks down just what is different about reggae music (accent on the down-beat). I've heard other people explain this...but he does it with such clarity, humor and charisma that you not only come off with a better understanding of what makes reggae tick but you also will remember it better.

And, again, you're right...he was creative as a drummer. He really understood music and was always finding new sounds and things to do in his music...not just new percussion instruments but new rhythmic ideas.

Kristy
09-24-2023, 12:55 PM
Oh, and you can take drugs to any Style Council album (well, maybe not the last one they did) But you're a total moron if you do.

Rikk
09-24-2023, 12:57 PM
I saw the Ghost in the Machine tour and Stewart blew me away.

You lucky bastard. I didn't see them 'til the reunion.

GHOST IN THE MACHINE is my least-favorite Police album (I love all five albums...I just rank GHOST and the debut a bit below the others)...but that tour was amazing. (I only know this because I've seen one of the concert videos...they still had some hunger, some oomph...and they were still creative.)

SYNCHRONICITY is an insanely-great album...but the tour itself is the least-appealing (of the original tours) to me because they had become more "professional," too polished (with the backing singers) and some of the improvisation was toned down. Tours like ZENYETTA's and GHOST's were more dynamic.

Rikk
09-24-2023, 12:59 PM
Oh, and you can take drugs to any Style Council album (well, maybe not the last one they did) But you're a total moron if you do.

Technically, I believe if you had some really good cocaine or some really top-notch Norco or THC, all sorts of music would sound better. I remember once listening to a Bay City Rollers song (my friend's iPod was playing random...don't ask me why he had Bay City Rollers) at a campfire while baked...and it sounded like one of the great pieces of music...

Then I sobered up.

Rikk
09-24-2023, 01:00 PM
That was all Hugh Padgham. After all, he made Phil Collins sound er, passable.

Hey, make fun of me all you want...but I still love ABACAB and the 1983 self-titled GENESIS album. The sound on those albums and the mix of polish and spontaneity was still appealing...before the 80s really dragged on...

Kristy
09-24-2023, 01:01 PM
This is, to this day, one of my favorite car songs.

Jesus, talk abut selling yourself short

https://i.etsystatic.com/40441911/r/il/1dab88/4529331448/il_570xN.4529331448_2j34.jpg

Colorado has decriminalized psy mushies so I'm free to "see" and "feel" and "experience" um, things to Copland's drumming without THE MAN trying to fuck up my day.

Nitro Express
09-24-2023, 01:02 PM

Yeah Stewart said him and Sting are polar opposites and fought like dogs. He said when The Police fell apart he actually felt relief because it always was tense. He loves visiting Sting and staying at his wonderful estate in Italy. They get along if music isn’t involved.

Kristy
09-24-2023, 01:02 PM
Hey, make fun of me all you want...but I still love ABACAB and the 1983 self-titled GENESIS album. The sound on those albums and the mix of polish and spontaneity was still appealing...before the 80s really dragged on...

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the albums apart from Phil Collins playing and signing on them.

Rikk
09-24-2023, 01:04 PM
Colorado has decriminalized psy mushies so I'm free to "see" and "feel" and "experience" um, things to Copland's drumming without THE MAN trying to fuck up my day.

I did lots of things in my youth, but I never tried mushrooms and I guess I'm too old to try now.

Rikk
09-24-2023, 01:06 PM
Yeah Stewart said him and Sting are polar opposites and fought like dogs. He said when The Police fell apart he actually felt relief because it always was tense. He loves visiting Sting and staying at his wonderful estate in Italy. They get along if music isn’t involved.

Sting seems like he could be a nice guy...in certain situations not designed to inflate his already-massive ego.

Trudie Styler, on the other hand, is apparently a gigantic cunt. I'll never forget the story of their pregnant chef being forced to drive back in the middle of the night to make Trudie a sandwich or something. Trudie apparently got angry when the chef became pregnant and eventually the chef was fired.

Rikk
09-24-2023, 01:08 PM
There is absolutely nothing wrong with the albums apart from Phil Collins playing and signing on them.

Nah, even on those albums, Phil is just fine. His drumming on certain songs is amazing (JUST A JOB TO DO is not one of the band's best songs...but Phil's drumming is great). His drumming on the title track of ABACAB is amazing...the song has such a simple rhythm but Phil just plays the shit out of his drums. People can make fun of Phil (justifiably) for all sorts of reasons...but to deny his drumming talents is crazy.

Nitro Express
09-24-2023, 01:11 PM
You lucky bastard. I didn't see them 'til the reunion.

GHOST IN THE MACHINE is my least-favorite Police album (I love all five albums...I just rank GHOST and the debut a bit below the others)...but that tour was amazing. (I only know this because I've seen one of the concert videos...they still had some hunger, some oomph...and they were still creative.)

SYNCHRONICITY is an insanely-great album...but the tour itself is the least-appealing (of the original tours) to me because they had become more "professional," too polished (with the backing singers) and some of the improvisation was toned down. Tours like ZENYETTA's and GHOST's were more dynamic.

They were the best around 1980. Still hungry and they had a great live sound. Andy was just using a few stomp boxes and some four input Marshall’s. He sounded great. Sting sounded best with a Fender Precision bass going through an Aiembic preamp driving some Clair Brother’s PA speakers with power amps. That was one mean sounding rig.

Nitro Express
09-24-2023, 01:17 PM
Sting seems like he could be a nice guy...in certain situations not designed to inflate his already-massive ego.

Trudie Styler, on the other hand, is apparently a gigantic cunt. I'll never forget the story of their pregnant chef being forced to drive back in the middle of the night to make Trudie a sandwich or something. Trudie apparently got angry when the chef became pregnant and eventually the chef was fired.

Stewart said Sting is quiet and deep. He’s extremely talented and likes control of his music. Sting wants to be in full control like a dictator. You get big egos together and you are going to clash but just hanging with Sting and his wife Trudi is wonderful. Always a great visit but the fighting will begin if making music is involved.

Nitro Express
09-24-2023, 01:21 PM
Stewart said The Police was composed of three very different people. It never was an easy working relationship but some great stuff came out of it.

Nitro Express
09-24-2023, 01:27 PM

Well Stewart didn’t say anything bad about Trudie but he said they live very well. He said there are lot’s of servants and if you lay a jacket down someone will grab it and hang it up and make sure you get it before you leave. Your wine or water glass is always filled. Stewart calls it The Magic Stingdome. Ha! Ha!

Nitro Express
09-24-2023, 01:53 PM
I did lots of things in my youth, but I never tried mushrooms and I guess I'm too old to try now.

https://youtu.be/ZuhjmoyWGeg?si=XD7MnNIED4OgR4y2

So you didn’t let your excesses get the best of you.

twonabomber
09-24-2023, 09:31 PM
(That said, the bass player is seriously good.)

You've never heard of Stanley Clarke?

I had the first Animal Logic CD, I must have traded it in toward something else.

twonabomber
09-24-2023, 09:58 PM

They fought all the way up to the release of the first greatest hits album. Copeland supposedly got hurt falling off his horse while playing polo so he couldn't play drums for the remake of Don't Stand So Close to me. He and Sting fought over which workstation was better, the Fairlight or Synclavier.

Terry
09-25-2023, 06:28 AM

I like those albums too, along with Duke.

A lot of it had to do with only having begun listening to the band when the Misunderstanding single came out, having never heard any of the stuff the band did with Gabriel (I was only ten years old or so at the time) before. Point of fact, I didn't even listen to any of the Genesis stuff with Gabriel until the 1990s (didn't much care for that stuff, either).

Enjoyed the first Phil Collins solo album just fine.

Wasn't really until the second Collins solo album and the Invisible Touch Genesis album - where I didn't really care for the material on either of those - that Collins started to irk me, mostly because he was starting to churn out cheese and his silly mugging face was seemingly everywhere circa 1985 or so.

FORD
09-25-2023, 11:04 PM
(That said, the bass player is seriously good.)

The bass player is Stanley Clarke. Usually he's a jazz guy, but he was known to join rock bands now and then. Before working with Stewart Copeland, he was in a little band called The New Barbarians in the late 1970s..

https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Fi.ytimg.com%2Fvi%2FcgJD3o0_44s%2F maxresdefault.jpg&f=1&nofb=1&ipt=7acdbccd70991c75a78a8c30e499eef170549495db8351 cacca447b2617ab858&ipo=images

twonabomber
09-28-2023, 10:16 AM
Interesting. The induction ceremony will be shown live on Disney+, with the cut down version on ABC later. The HBO deal must be over.

Rock Hall members got invited to the groundbreaking of the new addition. I doubt I will go.

Rikk
09-28-2023, 12:09 PM
Interesting. The induction ceremony will be shown live on Disney+, with the cut down version on ABC later. The HBO deal must be over.

I have HBO, so having it wasn't the problem. I just stopped watching as there became less and less bands I care about.

I did enjoy watch Lars induct Deep Purple...but even then I was angry that they left out a couple of members of the band over the years.

Rikk
09-28-2023, 12:10 PM
Incidentally, Jann Wenner's book is now a monster flop. It premiered at No. 7,594 on Amazon’s book sales list.

FORD
09-29-2023, 08:53 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvlP_D13qLQ

twonabomber
10-13-2023, 06:35 PM

Copeland has some good stuff on his YouTube, that drum program he did on the BBC was good.

Saw on FB the other day that Copeland is going to be in Erie, PA with the Erie Philharmonic (I didn't know Erie had a philharmonic!) doing Police Deranged for Orchestra. We're going, tickets were only $40. So Andy Summers Monday night, and Copeland a week later.

Kristy
10-13-2023, 10:06 PM
I had an opportunity to see Copeland right before the start of the pandemic BUT he was playing with that asshole from Phish. So...no.

Nitro Express
10-14-2023, 04:29 AM
https://youtu.be/_yqiwId6-04?si=RIubMEjmaOzFDTbi

Did someone say fish?

Nickdfresh
10-14-2023, 04:48 AM
Saw on FB the other day that Copeland is going to be in Erie, PA with the Erie Philharmonic...

Well fuck I would never have guessed that either, It's kind of like finding out your local drug gang has a youth theater wing....

silverfish
02-11-2024, 07:01 AM
2024 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Nominees Announced

Mary J. Blige
Mariah Carey
Cher
Dave Matthews Band
Eric B. & Rakim
Foreigner
Peter Frampton
Jane's Addiction
Kool & the Gang
Lenny Kravitz
Oasis
Sinead O'Connor
Ozzy Osbourne
Sade
A Tribe Called Quest

Of those, Carey, Cher, Foreigner, Frampton, Kool & the Gang, Kravitz, Oasis, O'Connor, Osbourne
and Sade are all first time nominees.

More at:
https://ultimateclassicrock.com/rock-hall-nominees-2024
https://ultimateclassicrock.com/rock-hall-2024-nominees-roundtable/

Warham
02-11-2024, 08:49 AM
The RRHOF has no shame.

twonabomber
02-11-2024, 09:42 AM
That is probably the weakest group of nominees I have ever seen. It looks like a "catch up" class, everyone that they have passed over and a few that have expressed outrage over not being in.

twonabomber
02-11-2024, 10:12 AM
If Oasis and Foreigner get inducted, it'll be months of "will the Gallagher brothers reunite?" and "will Lou Gramm and Mick Jones play together?"

O'Connor is an obvious make-up nomination and now that she's dead they don't have to deal with her issues. And whoever inducts her will probably play a song that isn't even hers!

They kind of forecast Frampton's nomination, he played at the last induction ceremony.

And again, no Warren Zevon nomination. He did pretty good in the fan vote last year.

Fairwrning
02-11-2024, 11:38 AM
Foreigner and Frampton stand out to me...and that Qzzy guy...still no Thin Lizzy