PDA

View Full Version : Coronavirus Community Watch

Pages : [1] 2 3

ZahZoo
03-23-2020, 07:38 AM
What's your local community doing to address this pandemic event?

I live in a small town about 7000 in population. We have schools/government offices closed, restaurants only doing drive-thru or carry-out, grocery stores have reduced hours and are offering 1 hour dedicated to people 60 or over. Churches has suspended services with many shifting to live streamed or recorded services via the internet.

Being a tourist town most of the camping areas have closed down. All sporting events suspended or cancelled.

We have 25 confirmed cases in the county out of about 25,000 population. All appear to be related to a specific church community that started from some service they held with out of state ministries folks and some that has recently returned from out of the country.

Toilet paper and meats seemed to be the most items in short supply but are making a come back.

Seshmeister
03-23-2020, 09:02 AM
McDonalds are closing all their Drive Thru's in the UK from today.

Nickdfresh
03-23-2020, 11:44 AM
Some thing Zah said here. We have 100% nonessential personnel laid off and it is take out food and liquor only at restaurants. Retail like grocery, big box stores, autoparts, etc. are open..

Gov. Cuomo did say that the state is now planning on how to restore the economy, I suspect when late spring comes things will open up gradually...

Nickdfresh
03-23-2020, 11:49 AM
A guy I worked with was thrown out of work (he was leaving anyways) early because he was in the same Orange Theory gym as a confirmed case. There have been several positive tests and it's growing. NY has the most US cases but we're doing most of the testing...

twonabomber
03-23-2020, 03:54 PM
Stay at home order starts tonight. Haven't heard if I'm not working yet, I expect there will be meetings at shift change.

twonabomber
03-24-2020, 06:20 AM
We're running, considered essential. Getting an extra $3 an hour starting last night at midnight, day or night shift, through April 6.

Sure was a lot of traffic this morning though...but looking at the list, there doesn't seem to be much shut down.

Seshmeister
03-24-2020, 11:59 AM
Getting an extra $3 an hour starting last night at midnight, day or night shift, through April 6.

Not exactly life changing. I hope the supermarkets are paying staff danger money, they should be able to afford it. I feel sorry for people in the cities forced to take the subways or buses to get to work.

ZahZoo
03-24-2020, 02:15 PM
I had to drive into work yesterday for a few hours... morning commute traffic was non-existent. Still people out and about but probably only 30-40% of what's normally on road at that time.

Swung by a Walmart for a few groceries while in the big city... thankfully plenty of beer in stock which I can't get in my small town/dry county.

FORD
03-24-2020, 02:49 PM
As of last weekend, things looked relatively normal at the grocery stores around here with the exception of the toilet paper aisle. Still don't get the freakout on that. Respiratory illnesses don't make you shit more often, for fucks sake.

Of course now that my old friend & neighbor Jay has declared a statewide lockdown (https://www.theolympian.com/news/politics-government/article241446561.html), panic mode might well set in at the local Safeway. He claims its a two week thing, so I should be good through that, at least.

Seshmeister
03-24-2020, 03:53 PM
It's going to be longer than 2 weeks...

twonabomber
03-24-2020, 04:51 PM
Not exactly life changing. I hope the supermarkets are paying staff danger money, they should be able to afford it. I feel sorry for people in the cities forced to take the subways or buses to get to work.

No, not life changing, but highly unexpected. Around $230 if I only work my scheduled days. I joked that I would donate that to a "single mother" :D that is, if I can stomach someone being close to me after this lol.

We are a very conservative company. They were prepared to pay us the two weeks if we were ordered shut and not make us file for unemployment. My friend works for a well-known "race car" parts manufacturer, they're down and he's gotta file. He's 52 and never had to file for unemployment.

I have friends in retail that aren't getting anything extra yet.

twonabomber
03-24-2020, 05:11 PM
thankfully plenty of beer in stock which I can't get in my small town/dry county.

I have opened the Strategic Vodka Reserve. I'm a couple bottles ahead and will get another tomorrow. Just need to find more orange juice, I'll have cranberry today for a change.

Seshmeister
03-24-2020, 05:36 PM
If you think your leader is a idiot, here comes the king of the fuckwits...

Brazil's Jair Bolsonaro says coronavirus crisis is a media trick
Far-right president has resisted strong measures to stop spread of what he calls a ‘little flu’

https://i.guim.co.uk/img/media/4f18d14cde0b7f27701d7294805539c3577f09c8/0_92_3543_2125/master/3543.jpg?width=620&quality=85&auto=format&fit=max&

Brazil’s far-right president, Jair Bolsonaro, has accused his political foes and the press of purposefully “tricking” citizens about the dangers of coronavirus, as Latin America braced for a spike in the number of deaths.

The pandemic has claimed nearly 15,000 lives across the globe and looks set to exact a deadly toll on Latin America in the coming weeks, with many regional governments closing borders and shutting down major cities in a desperate bid to limit the damage.

But Bolsonaro has resisted such drastic measures, dismissing media “hysteria” over coronavirus and calling the illness “a little flu”.

In a tetchy television interview on Sunday night Bolsonaro again downplayed the pandemic and attacked the governors of key states including Rio de Janeiro and São Paulo who have ordered residents to stay at home and are imposing quarantines.

“The people will soon see that they were tricked by these governors and by the large part of the media when it comes to coronavirus,” Bolsonaro said, as his own health officials announced 25 deaths and 1,546 cases of coronavirus in Brazil.

Bolsonaro claimed a wave of pot-banging protests, which entered their sixth night on Sunday, were a part of a media-backed plot to topple him.

“It is a shameless campaign, a colossal and absurd campaign against the head of state … They want to force me out however possible,” he claimed.

On Monday two opinion polls suggested widespread discontent with Bolsonaro’s behaviour.

One, by the Brazilian pollster Ibope, found 48% of people in the city of São Paulo now considered his administration bad or awful.

Another, by the Datafolha group, said 51% of wealthy Brazilians and 46% of those with a university education were similarly unimpressed with his handling of the coronavirus crisis.

Eliane Cantanhêde, a political commentator for the conservative Estado de São Paulo newspaper, said support for Bolsonaro had not completely collapsed.

“We have to recognise that many Bolsonaristas are still Bolsonaristas. I have friends with university degrees – lawyers, diplomats – who believe everything he says … A very strongly Bolsonarista bastion still exists.”

“But others – who voted for him [in 2018] but are not diehard Bolsonaristas – are starting to see clearly that something is wrong and that the president lives in a parallel universe,” Cantanhêde added.

In a column published last December Cantanhêde declared Bolsonaro not just the overwhelming favourite for the 2022 election, but “unbeatable”.

Now, she believes his reaction to coronavirus has shredded those hopes.

“I think he’s fatally wounded for the election [in 2022] … If the election was held today there is a big chance Bolsonaro would be defeated,” Cantanhêde said. “This was a watershed moment.”

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/23/brazils-jair-bolsonaro-says-coronavirus-crisis-is-a-media-trick?CMP=fb_gu&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook&fbclid=IwAR34kR7-p86RWsLQyetohEBNXjGH3-FQqfYavA5cRHANCfP8d4BqiJRj2mE#Echobox=1584969318

twonabomber
03-24-2020, 06:16 PM
I don't think it's a media trick, but I believe the media is going to milk this for all it's worth.

Our local FOX station morning show has been quick to defend their handling of storm coverage. They've got one anchor who sits there and claims that they are doing a service, "just trying to help," and practically "how DARE you" complain when your shows are interrupted for storm coverage. I don't get that station on the antenna at home so I haven't been watching but I wouldn't doubt they are doing the same thing with this.

Seshmeister
03-24-2020, 06:24 PM
I think the three most important things to do are hand washing, social distancing and not watching FOX.

Seshmeister
03-24-2020, 06:42 PM
https://youtu.be/xUVERo2xpH4

twonabomber
03-24-2020, 06:44 PM
The local FOX doesn't (yet) toe the Republican line like the national does, but the constant pontificating after stories has turned me off.

I haven't bothered to turn the locals on this week, not even for the weather.

twonabomber
03-24-2020, 07:32 PM
I keep getting Tinder and Bumble notifications. I wonder if "I wouldn't mind catching a virus from something as fine as YOU" would be a good pick-up line...

Seshmeister
03-24-2020, 09:54 PM
This is why world leaders used to avoid just saying whatever BS comes into their head.

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/man-dies-after-ingesting-chloroquine-attempt-prevent-coronavirus-n1167166

twonabomber
03-24-2020, 10:02 PM
Darwin at work. Enough Googling and they would have found it anyways.

Seshmeister
03-24-2020, 10:28 PM
How can people be talking about returning to normal in 2 weeks. The cases will double every 5 days so the US and UK so we will have 8 times as many cases in 2 weeks.

ZahZoo
03-25-2020, 08:49 AM
Two weeks is overly optimistic... most folks who've contracted it may not even show symptoms for the first 2 weeks. To have an impact I believe 4-8 weeks is more realistic if you can get majority of the population to limit their public movement to only essential things.

I understand the impact to small businesses... but this should be a huge wake-up call to business owners and most people. If shutting down for a week or a month puts you out of business... your business model needs serious adjustment.

Seshmeister
03-25-2020, 09:24 AM
I understand the impact to small businesses... but this should be a huge wake-up call to business owners and most people. If shutting down for a week or a month puts you out of business... your business model needs serious adjustment.

That's easy to say but to be 'efficient' enough so that you can compete with the big corporations that don't have to pay tax, margins are super tight for a lot of people.

Plus a lot of people have wives and they are as spendy as fuck. :D

ZahZoo
03-25-2020, 12:09 PM
LOL no kidding on the spendy wives element!!

It takes a ton of discipline and risk management to keep a business open these days especially with mega-corporations like Amazon, etc out there sucking up most of the small business opportunity.

I've just observed a lot of small businesses in my little town go under because they didn't plan or execute a sound approach for handling seasonal swings due to our tourist based industry...

On the Pandemic front... 4 days holding on no new positive cases in my county. First death recorded was a 91 year old man.

This virus is brutal on the elderly and people with existing health issues.

Nickdfresh
03-25-2020, 04:48 PM
If you think your leader is a idiot, here comes the king of the fuckwits...

Brazil's Jair Bolsonaro says coronavirus crisis is a media trick
Far-right president has resisted strong measures to stop spread of what he calls a ‘little flu’

https://i.guim.co.uk/img/media/4f18d14cde0b7f27701d7294805539c3577f09c8/0_92_3543_2125/master/3543.jpg?width=620&quality=85&auto=format&fit=max&

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/23/brazils-jair-bolsonaro-says-coronavirus-crisis-is-a-media-trick?CMP=fb_gu&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook&fbclid=IwAR34kR7-p86RWsLQyetohEBNXjGH3-FQqfYavA5cRHANCfP8d4BqiJRj2mE#Echobox=1584969318

The irony here is that Brazilian street and drugs gangs are imposing curfews in the inner cities and riding around in cars with bullhorns telling people to get off the streets and to enforce social distancing as "they're not taking COVID-19 seriously enough!"

Seshmeister
03-25-2020, 06:41 PM
On the Pandemic front... 4 days holding on no new positive cases in my county. First death recorded was a 91 year old man.

This virus is brutal on the elderly and people with existing health issues.

It's interesting reading about how the US led the fight against ebola when you compare her to nowadays.

I think what hasn't registered yet with a lot of people is that it doesn't even matter if you control it in the US it will just come back again. That's why the US sent 3000 troops to help fight ebola in Africa. The minute something is a pandemic then it's a planet problem. Pandemics don't have nationalities, that's why H1N1 wasn't called North American flu.

Seshmeister
03-25-2020, 08:07 PM
https://youtu.be/u2wl23AjaxE

Nickdfresh
03-26-2020, 07:06 AM
It's starting to get bad in NYC, they have a refrigerated body truck to house the dead at Elmhurst Hospital...

ZahZoo
03-26-2020, 12:53 PM
Reports here, Arkansas, that the Governor will most likely declare a 10 day shelter in place order for the state. Seems to be stepping up the shutdown of things beyond non-essential businesses.

It's really a shame that they have to take these measures... but on the other hand, people just aren't taking this seriously enough and voluntarily staying home.

Nickdfresh
03-26-2020, 03:25 PM
On the upside, Gov Cuomo said the social distancing measures seem to be lessening the hospital inflow...

Seshmeister
03-26-2020, 05:37 PM
He's saying that to keep people doing it.

You haven't been distancing long enough for that to affect current things, your distancing just now stops people dying in a week or two.

I'm afraid you haven't seen even a sniff yet of what is coming.

Nickdfresh
03-26-2020, 06:35 PM

You haven't been distancing long enough for that to affect current things, your distancing just now stops people dying in a week or two.

We know, the "apex" is 2-3 weeks away...

Kudos to Elon Musk for converting his state sponsored white elephant Tesla plant in Buffalo to make ventilators...

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2020/03/26/tesla-make-ventilators-buffalo-plant-got-750-m-ny-subsidy/2914638001/

ZahZoo
03-26-2020, 06:38 PM
About 35+ of the 47 cases in my county all originated from a community spread during a children's program at a church March 5th... 21 days ago. Most of those cases tested positive in the last 5-7 days. I figure it will be at least 2-6 weeks before most shutdown activities show results.

Seshmeister
03-26-2020, 06:58 PM
That said we had someone local go from first symptoms on Saturday to dead yesterday and that was with an ICU bed at the end. 65 year old male no other underlying health conditions.

I have to assume this is an outlier or the virus would have burnt itself out quicker but it shows you can't generalise and people assuming this only affects old frail people is like those that said only gay guys would die of AIDS.

Locally I also know of a couple of very sick previously very fit 45 year olds.

Nickdfresh
03-26-2020, 08:09 PM
That said we had someone local go from first symptoms on Saturday to dead yesterday and that was with an ICU bed at the end. 65 year old male no other underlying health conditions.

I have to assume this is an outlier or the virus would have burnt itself out quicker but it shows you can't generalise and people assuming this only affects old frail people is like those that said only gay guys would die of AIDS.

Locally I also know of a couple of very sick previously very fit 45 year olds.

Yeah. During the Spanish Flu of 1918-1920, the initial people sick and the majority of moralities seemed to be older people that typically get sick in flu season and have dire complications. The second phase that killed the vast majority arrived in the US in October of 1919 and killed the most victims, most of them young (including my great-granduncle who died at 17 years old). The virus mutated and caused a cytokine storm in younger people effectively using their stronger immune systems against them. Also, remember vaping? That might have fucked a lot of millennial lungs and that could cause a severe problem with COVID-19...

Nickdfresh
03-27-2020, 08:55 AM
Locally, in my county of Erie, about 250 confirmed, five dead all in their 70's or 80's. But the local hospitals are now deploying medical triage tents outside for the coming storm...

Nickdfresh
03-27-2020, 11:05 AM

To clarify, the level of infections in NYS seems to be leveling off and hopefully will reduce the APEX....

ZahZoo
03-28-2020, 09:01 AM
I wish I could see a leveling in Arkansas... steady climb and now spreading to surrounding counties from early reported cases. This was to be expected as testing became more readily available. Most projections are now pushing to peak by the end of April.

Terry
03-28-2020, 05:45 PM
One of the things that concerns me is along the lines of people not taking the spread seriously...

My thoughts are a bit jumbled, but it's sort of like...people tend to look at winning in terms of points on the board or getting something. As a species, we will "win" by mitigating the spread of the virus. So, in this case, it's not getting something that equals winning.

As more jobs are lost and people are holed up in their homes with their future uncertain...if the spread of the virus has at that point been mitigated but we still have no real idea how many people actually still have it (vs. the number of cases detected, and the difference between those two could be vast), the pressure to reopen society as usual is going to be intense. The fact of the matter is, even if martial law is declared (and no reasonable person WANTS that), there aren't enough military and police personnel to physically enforce keeping the entire population in their homes, particularly since containing the virus isn't like suppressing a looting or a riot.

There are a lot of people who, without even knowing the infection rate or the actual lethality rate once infected, want things ramped back up to where they were yesterday, virus be damned: you live your life, you take your chances.

Even though my county down here in Florida has restricted activities to going out and getting essentials, well, Starbucks is still open. Every corner gas station is still open (if the vast bulk of the population are staying at home and not travelling anywhere, do we really need every single gas station open?). Every franchise restaurant is still open for curbside takeout.

The entire country simply isn't willing to stay at home under quarantine for two weeks, so we're doing these half-measures, trying to keep from shutting down businesses entirely, plodding along like we have ultimate control over the virus. We don't. The only control we have is to stay away from each other. The virus doesn't give a shit about the Dow Jones, the next fiscal quarter or the upcoming election.

We're quarantining by degrees, which is like going to war by inches. Half-assing it just prolongs the agony and without decreasing the spread as quickly as we otherwise might.

twonabomber
03-29-2020, 01:16 PM
I got my summer car out the other day. Went to the car wash, got back on the road and went to Sam's Club for gas. Parking lot at Sam's looked like a normal weekday afternoon. So yeah, people aren't taking it too seriously.

Yes, I was out, but there was no one else at the car wash and I was alone in my car :D

The Sam's and a bunch of other stores are not far from work. Those stores are all open. Takeout only at the food joints. Thought traffic might not be so bad, it was a little lighter but not "OMG stay at home" lighter. Or else we all have essential jobs and leave at the same time...

twonabomber
03-29-2020, 02:58 PM
I have been told of a speakeasy here in town. I'm not looking to out it, or go there, just kind of LOL about it. Curious where it is. I have a couple ideas but I'm not going to go look for it.

Nickdfresh
03-29-2020, 06:43 PM
I have been told of a speakeasy here in town. I'm not looking to out it, or go there, just kind of LOL about it. Curious where it is. I have a couple ideas but I'm not going to go look for it.

I'm pretty sure there's a speakeasy a mile from my parents house. There's some connections to local police so I doubt anything will be done about it...

Last I heard they're not doing takeout (despite having good, simple bar food), but there are always hick trucks there and I saw a bartender outside today, so I'm guessing they all sit upstairs in the small banquet room and get fucked up. Hell maybe downstairs at the bar, because there's a 2500 pickup blocking the rear sliding door and tables are stood up blocking windows, so...

ZahZoo
03-30-2020, 07:48 AM
There's a high percentage of people not taking this seriously... you would think with all of the business closures and normal weekend off for a lot of businesses that traffic and populated areas would be empty... but no... people out everywhere.

I have a few family members that work in the medical community... talk to them and this shit is real. The stress and courage just to do their jobs is through the roof!

Seshmeister
03-30-2020, 12:11 PM
Current estimates for the US are over 200 000 dead.

The important thing though is Trump's viewing figures are up!

https://i.ibb.co/RH7vc1W/trump.jpg

Nickdfresh
03-30-2020, 12:20 PM
I'm pretty sure there's a speakeasy a mile from my parents house. There's some connections to local police so I doubt anything will be done about it...

Last I heard they're not doing takeout (despite having good, simple bar food), but there are always hick trucks there and I saw a bartender outside today, so I'm guessing they all sit upstairs in the small banquet room and get fucked up. Hell maybe downstairs at the bar, because there's a 2500 pickup blocking the rear sliding door and tables are stood up blocking windows, so...

Upon further review I think I am incorrect, at least somewhat. They are renovating said bar, but I have no doubt there is some monkey business going on in there...

Seshmeister
03-30-2020, 12:23 PM
You can make your own bar, all you need is a seat and some booze. :)

https://i.ibb.co/rb3hctT/zombie.jpg

Nickdfresh
03-30-2020, 01:39 PM
You can make your own bar, all you need is a seat and some booze. :)

https://i.ibb.co/rb3hctT/zombie.jpg

Oh, I do!

twonabomber
03-30-2020, 01:56 PM
Maybe some good news

University of Washington projection: Coronavirus won’t overwhelm Ohio hospitals and ICU beds

https://www.cleveland.com/news/2020/03/university-of-washington-projection-coronavirus-wont-overwhelm-ohio-hospitals-and-icu-beds.html

FORD
03-30-2020, 02:05 PM
https://i.imgur.com/5MpwNGH.png

Terry
03-30-2020, 06:17 PM
Current estimates for the US are over 200 000 dead.

The important thing though is Trump's viewing figures are up!

https://i.ibb.co/RH7vc1W/trump.jpg

He's just incapable of stopping his Ringmaster Showman bullshit, even at a time such as this.

But, it's just...him. He is who he is, it's baked into the cake, and he isn't gonna change who he is at this stage of the game, regardless of the circumstances...mostly because, he can't change.

FORD
03-30-2020, 07:34 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W17180pCxS8

ZahZoo
03-31-2020, 11:55 AM
Come on guys... There's a COVID-19 thread in the Front-Line forum... if you want to post political shit there... do so.

I started this thread to discuss the real things impacting us within our homes and local communities. Can you please keep it in that realm..?

private parts
03-31-2020, 12:23 PM
He's just incapable of stopping his Ringmaster Showman bullshit, even at a time such as this.

But, it's just...him. He is who he is, it's baked into the cake, and he isn't gonna change who he is at this stage of the game, regardless of the circumstances...mostly because, he can't change.

For a second I thought you were talking about Trump, then realized this is a DLR forum. :biggrin:

Nitro Express
03-31-2020, 05:07 PM
Come on guys... There's a COVID-19 thread in the Front-Line forum... if you want to post political shit there... do so.

I started this thread to discuss the real things impacting us within our homes and local communities. Can you please keep it in that realm..?

I hate to say it but I’m having a blast during this. The ski resorts are closed to the public but being on the volunteer ski patrol we have been skiing slopes covered in some of the best snowfall of the year with nobody on then. Also gas for the snowmobile is dirt cheap.

Funny. I talked to a friend in Park City, Utah and asked how is it down there. He said all the church’s are closed but the liquor stores are open. It’s going pretty good.

Nitro Express
03-31-2020, 05:10 PM
For a second I thought you were talking about Trump, then realized this is a DLR forum. :biggrin:

Baked into a cake is right. A rum cake.

FORD
03-31-2020, 05:44 PM
I hate to say it but I’m having a blast during this. The ski resorts are closed to the public but being on the volunteer ski patrol we have been skiing slopes covered in some of the best snowfall of the year with nobody on then. Also gas for the snowmobile is dirt cheap.

Funny. I talked to a friend in Park City, Utah and asked how is it down there. He said all the church’s are closed but the liquor stores are open. It’s going pretty good.

Liquor stores are considered an "essential business" in UTAH??

Now that is actually shocking. :gulp:

Nitro Express
03-31-2020, 05:47 PM
According to the New England Journal of Medicine COVID-19 has a mortality rate of 0.1%. What kills people is the secondary infection that causes pneumonia. You can treat pneumonia with antibiotics and usually if you get a person on a Z-Pack when they first start showing signs of pneumonia you can kill it off before it sets in and gets worse.

So sure. Something to be careful about but it doesn’t justify the level of panic we are seeing. This is not Ebola.

Nitro Express
03-31-2020, 05:53 PM
Liquor stores are considered an "essential business" in UTAH??

Now that is actually shocking. :gulp:

Metropolitan Salt Lake is actually a Democrat city. More non-Mormons live in Salt Lake County than Mormons now. People are moving in because they are growing jobs there. Lot’s of high tech, medical and finance jobs.

Nickdfresh
03-31-2020, 06:59 PM
According to the New England Journal of Medicine COVID-19 has a mortality rate of 0.1%. What kills people is the secondary infection that causes pneumonia. You can treat pneumonia with antibiotics and usually if you get a person on a Z-Pack when they first start showing signs of pneumonia you can kill it off before it sets in and gets worse.

So sure. Something to be careful about but it doesn’t justify the level of panic we are seeing. This is not Ebola.

It depends on age group, ask Italy...

Are there really jerkoffs running around still telling us this is just a cold or flu?

The best case scenario is that there are going to be 200,000 dead Americans. How many died of Ebola?..

Nitro Express
03-31-2020, 07:48 PM

Are there really jerkoffs running around still telling us this is just a cold or flu?

The best case scenario is that there are going to be 200,000 dead Americans. How many died of Ebola?..

You can lose 80,000 people in a bad flu season. Yeah 200,000 is Dr. Birxt estimate but you have as many opinions on this as you have doctors. Also it’s being politicized. There are people who would love to have this shutdown cause an economic downturn.

Nickdfresh
03-31-2020, 08:13 PM
You can lose 80,000 people in a bad flu season. Yeah 200,000 is Dr. Birxt estimate but you have as many opinions on this as you have doctors. Also it’s being politicized. There are people who would love to have this shutdown cause an economic downturn.

No douche, here's actual science and statistics. 60K dead would be the worst case scenario flu season:

As it does for the numbers of flu cases, doctor’s visits and hospitalizations, CDC also estimates deaths in the United States using mathematical modeling. CDC estimates that from 2010-2011 to 2013-2014, influenza-associated deaths in the United States ranged from a low of 12,000 (during 2011-2012) to a high of 56,000 (during 2012-2013). Death certificate data and weekly influenza virus surveillance information was used to estimate how many flu-related deaths occurred among people whose underlying cause of death on their death certificate included respiratory or circulatory causes. For more information, see Estimating Seasonal Influenza-Associated Deaths in the United States and CDC’s Disease Burden of Influenza page.

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/season/flu-season-2017-2018.htm

And 200,000 would be after shuttering three quarters of the population in social distancing, with no vaccine available. How many people would die from the flu if we did that for influenza?..

Seshmeister
03-31-2020, 09:09 PM

Hahaha :D

Seshmeister
03-31-2020, 09:18 PM

Crazy talk.

For years now you have been saying how all politicians are the same and it doesn't matter if you have a completely incompetent narcissistic crazy liar as your president.

Sorry but you are now being proved completely wrong. This is what happens when you embrace ignorance, where is your fucking 10 years at medical school? 5 minutes in a social media bubble and 20 minutes of Fox News does not make your opinion as valid as Dr. Birxt. What is wrong with you people?

The US had got her best scientists and clinicians to work out a plan to deal with future pandemics and Trump ignored all of it completely relying on hunches and bullshit. We all pay now. When pandemics break out you can't get rid of them until they are gone from all countries. Until your president and that nightmare in Brazil gets with the game or even better is incapacitated with it themselves the whole world is in lock down.

Seshmeister
03-31-2020, 09:30 PM
And 200,000 would be after shuttering three quarters of the population in social distancing, with no vaccine available. How many people would die from the flu if we did that for influenza?..

To put that in proportion that's like a Benghazi every day for about 138 years...

FORD
03-31-2020, 11:46 PM
Chimp & Cheney killed just under 3000 on 9/11. Another 2000 or so in New Orleans, and I forget what the last count was, but let's say a nice round 10,000 in their idiotic wars (just the US numbers)

15,000 Americans dead, for no good reason. Hard to imagine anybody could have ever done worse than that.... but here we are. :(

ZahZoo
04-01-2020, 06:53 AM

This past weekend several of the most popular state parks here in Arkansas saw record number of visitors and one had to open overflow parking... So many people in fact that social distancing was nearly impossible on trails and common areas.

What was alarming was the number of out of state license plates spotted in the parking areas.

Sadly, because people won't stay home the state is considering closing all the parks and recreation areas to get people to stop traveling here.

twonabomber
04-01-2020, 07:04 AM
Going to be warm here Friday and Saturday. I'm riding somewhere. Not the Towpath though, Cuyahoga River overflowed the other day and flooded a lot of the trails in the national park.

FORD
04-01-2020, 03:09 PM
HUTCHINS, Texas (AP) — A tractor-trailer hauling toilet paper crashed and caught fire near Dallas early Wednesday, spilling the hot commodity all over an interstate.

The fire shut down westbound lanes of Interstate 20 near Interstate 45 in Hutchins, the Texas Department of Transportation said.

The driver of the truck is OK, officials said.

The toilet paper appeared to be large rolls typically used in stores, restaurants and other businesses. Texas Department of Transportation officials said the load of toilet paper “burned extensively,” according to Dallas TV station WFAA.

Toilet paper has been in high demand amid the coronavirus pandemic. Producers ramped up production and shipping operations to resupply stores wiped out by consumers buying toilet paper and paper towels in bulk.

ZahZoo
04-01-2020, 05:49 PM
State Parks are going to be closed in Arkansas. Governor has advised the Sec of Interior to close Buffalo National park as well due to record number of out of state visitors this last week.

Good news... alcohol sales were up 55% in the last 2 weeks!! Bad news... I still live in a dry county!!

Terry
04-01-2020, 09:10 PM
Florida Governor today (finally) issued a statewide stay-at-home alert for all non-essential designated workers.

Am watching the Miami area cases starting to spike...

FORD
04-01-2020, 11:56 PM
https://youtu.be/YUakLzaboMo

twonabomber
04-02-2020, 06:44 AM
A couple guys at work think there is more of a lockdown coming in the state. DeWine is supposed to make another announcement today. And a couple more co-workers think that with 35 people on the floor at once, it's inevitable that someone has the virus and more will get it.

Far as I know, the FDA would consider us essential. Work is prepared to pay us for 14 days in the event of a closure. We work tonight and then Mon-Thurs next week, then off for a week. If we did get shut down, it would be nice to have it after our day shifts next week. Three weeks off and nothing to do!

Our $3 shift premium got extended until the 20th. I joked that I'd spend it on a single mother...she texted yesterday. Here we go...

ZahZoo
04-02-2020, 07:15 AM
I expect more stay at home/shelter in place orders coming...

The concerning part is that testing is finally starting to become widely available in many areas... Arkansas just report 900 tested in the last 24 hours. So the number will be jumping just on the basis of more people getting tested. Given the incubation rate averages 5 days to first symptoms and up to 14 days... we're just now seeing results for folks that have been contagious since mid-March. Unsettling...

Seshmeister
04-02-2020, 10:55 AM
Note the age...

Fountains of Wayne’s Adam Schlesinger Dead at 52 From Coronavirus

https://www.rollingstone.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/adam-schlesinger-obit.jpg?resize=1800,1200&w=1200

Adam Schlesinger, co-founder of the New Jersey power-pop group Fountains of Wayne and Emmy- and Grammy-winning songwriter for film, television, and theater, died Wednesday from complications related to COVID-19. He was 52.

Schelsinger’s lawyer, Josh Grier, confirmed the musician’s death to Rolling Stone. Schlesinger was hospitalized in March and tested positive for the coronavirus. At the time, he was placed on a ventilator and heavily sedated.

Schlesinger had one of the most unique and busiest careers in pop. With Fountains of Wayne — a group that blended power-pop delight with indie and alt-rock sensibilities — he released five albums between 1996 and 2011. During the same period, he released six albums with his other group, Ivy, all the while building a portfolio of TV and film music. His first hit came in 1996, but it was a song engineered to sound like it was actually from the Sixties: “That Thing You Do.” The track served as the sole hit for the Wonders, the fake band at the center of Tom Hanks’ film That Thing You Do!; in real life, the track charted well and earned Schlesinger an Oscar nomination for Best Original Song.

“There would be no Playtone without Adam Schlesinger, without his That Thing You Do!” Tom Hanks wrote. “He was a One-der. Lost him to Covid-19. Terribly sad today.”

Seven years later, Schlesinger and Fountains of Wayne would notch their own career-defining hit, “Stacy’s Mom.”

More at https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/fountains-of-waynes-adam-schlesinger-dead-obituary-coronavirus-975786/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZLfasMPOU4

private parts
04-02-2020, 11:24 AM

Don't know about Ebola but the CDC says 12k died in the US from 2009 H1N1. This article suggests it was 10 times that.

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2013/11/26/247379604/2009-flu-pandemic-was-10-times-more-deadly-than-previously-thought

Nickdfresh
04-02-2020, 03:45 PM
Fountains Of Wayne's Adam Schlesinger Has Died After Testing Positive For Coronavirus

STEWART PERRIE in NEWS
Last updated 1:47, Thursday 02 April 2020 BST

Singer and co-founder of the band Fountains of Wayne, Adam Schlesinger, has died after testing positive for coronavirus.

The 'Stacy's Mom' singer was 52.

Adam's lawyer Josh Grier confirmed to Rolling Stone the artist died due to complications from Covid-19. He had been hospitalised and placed on a ventilator two weeks ago, according to Variety.

Schlesinger was inspired to write the iconic Fountains of Wayne track over a friendship he had when he was young.

"One of my best friends, when we were maybe 11 or 12, came to me and announced that he thought my grandmother was hot. And I said, 'Hey, you're stepping over the line,' but at that point in life, I wouldn't put it past anyone," he recalled to MTV News.

The 2003-hit song 'Stacey's Mom' earned his band two Grammy Awards for Best New Artist and Best Pop Performance by a Duo or Group with Vocal.

But the singer-songwriter was also incredibly successful outside Fountains of Wayne.

Before releasing 'Stacy's Mom', Schlesinger was nominated for an Oscar and a Golden Globe Award in 1997 for writing the title track of That Thing You Do!

He and David Javerbaum won a Daytime Emmy in 2011 for Outstanding Music And Lyrics for their song 'It's Not Just for Gays Anymore', which was performed by Neil Patrick Harris during the 65th Tony Awards.

The 52-year-old also copped several Emmy nominations and one award for for his work on TV show Crazy Ex-Girlfriend.

LINK (https://www.ladbible.com/news/celebrity-fountains-of-waynes-singer-adam-schlesinger-has-died-from-coronavirus-20200402?source=lboz&fbclid=IwAR3cr5y_B03Uh0wUgawHGp5lKq45YniChPhCSTkF5 CD1QqCtReikAKO1Pbk)

Nickdfresh
04-02-2020, 03:50 PM
Don't know about Ebola but the CDC says 12k died in the US from 2009 H1N1. This article suggests it was 10 times that.

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2013/11/26/247379604/2009-flu-pandemic-was-10-times-more-deadly-than-previously-thought

I believe it is 10X that, but not just the US, the world total...

By the same token, people who have died from COVID-19 are also under-counted, because at least some have died of it without a test to verify...

*Above post was merged from a separate thread as I didn't see that Sesh posted it here...

FORD
04-02-2020, 08:01 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9kDQLqRn64

FORD
04-03-2020, 12:28 AM
It's going to be longer than 2 weeks...

Yeah, looks like it. Just got an email that it's been extended to May 4.

Happy happy.... joy joy.......

FORD
04-03-2020, 01:15 AM
https://youtu.be/ZQ3GnMmfiuA

Seshmeister
04-03-2020, 01:25 AM
Yeah, looks like it. Just got an email that it's been extended to May 4.

Happy happy.... joy joy.......

Sorry but for whatever reasons Americans seem to be way behind the curve in information on this whole disaster.

Maybe it's your natural optimism or your media but hold my feet to the fire if I'm wrong but my best guess is 3 months so July followed by a few months of relaxation but not normal until November then another 4 months when it comes back.

Hopefully I'm wrong but May 4th is fantasy, you need to start adjusting your mindset.

People who are connected to you will start dying this month.

FORD
04-03-2020, 02:09 AM
Well I certainly hope not. Everybody I know is doing well, so far.

Haven't been wearing a mask outside, but after this latest info that the shit stays in the air for a while, I'm probably going to start. Fortunately, I found one I had stashed away, and it's an N95, no less. Hard to breathe in that damned thing, but I suppose it beats being harder to breathe permanently.

twonabomber
04-03-2020, 03:36 AM
Our stay at home order got extended to May 1. Stores will have to set a maximum occupancy limit but no number has been mandated by the state.

First of the month the other day, payday today, and now a limit on people in the store...good thing it's supposed to be nice. I may be in line a while.

twonabomber
04-03-2020, 06:30 AM
Work is fucking busy. We run 24/7 anyways but demand is up 150% over plan. BIG jobs too, we haven't run jobs this big in years. Top ten items have been prioritized. We used to do same day service, it was changed to two days a week ago and now it's seven days.

Work brought us in a box lunch from Panera the other day (which was meh), and we're going to get a catered box lunch once a week for the next month. Plant manager says it'll be one less thing we have to worry about for a day and it'll spread some business around to area restaurants. I haven't been out to eat since March 12, this weekend I will probably get pizza from the shop around the corner and tip the delivery guy well. I feel fortunate to still be working. Friend of mine isn't sure if he's going back Monday but he got an email that said the company was suspending the 401k match for the rest of the year. And my 401k...oy, vey. Good thing I have another 15 years to work.

So far the governor says the state parks will remain open. Lake is getting warmer, if I go out in the kayak I won't be close to anyone. Same with the river, it's wide enough that I'd be away from any fishermen.

ZahZoo
04-03-2020, 08:37 AM
Sorry but for whatever reasons Americans seem to be way behind the curve in information on this whole disaster.

Maybe it's your natural optimism or your media but hold my feet to the fire if I'm wrong but my best guess is 3 months so July followed by a few months of relaxation but not normal until November then another 4 months when it comes back.

Hopefully I'm wrong but May 4th is fantasy, you need to start adjusting your mindset.

People who are connected to you will start dying this month.

Here's a site I've been following with some fairly reasonable predictions... shows hospital beds usage/shortages, deaths per day, total deaths, etc... their models don't show things getting better until around June 1. You can use the drop down in the green bar to look at individual states.

http://covid19.healthdata.org/

ZahZoo
04-05-2020, 08:35 AM
Question for the day... Do you think stay at home orders at a state level are necessary?

I'm in one of 8 states who haven't issued a state level stay at home order... They've "recommended" stay at home and ordered limiting bars/restaurants to carry-out only, closed theaters, hair shops, sporting events, parks, camping and all retail except for grocery, gas, etc. Plus ordered no gatherings greater than 10 in public spaces.

IMO... I'm thinking that's sufficient for my area which is mostly rural and no major metropolitan sized cities. Although there are a lot of people just not taking this seriously... I doubt a legal order will change much of that.

Thoughts..?

silverfish
04-05-2020, 05:21 PM
Question for the day... Do you think stay at home orders at a state level are necessary?

I'm in one of 8 states who haven't issued a state level stay at home order...

Since you asked...

I think I'd be overly cautious if i I wasn't in a "stay home" state. If the virus hasn't hit you yet, it's
probably only a matter of time before it arrives. I realize it's gonna be a damned if you do type
situation - if you close you'll hear "Why are you shutting us down?" but if you stay open they'll say
"Why didn't you close sooner?". All things considered, your politicians may regret they didn't err on
the side of caution and try to get ahead of it before your state gets slammed. I mean, seriously -
do you think this thing isn't gonna touch the entire USA? Be thankful you're clean thus far but do whatever takes to remain tnat way, no?...

And you gotta accept the President has NO idea how to handle this. He holds his press/gripe sessions
and spouts things that are immediately contradicted by his task force. Forget your politics & use your head.

Since you asked...

Terry
04-05-2020, 06:43 PM

I'm in one of 8 states who haven't issued a state level stay at home order... They've "recommended" stay at home and ordered limiting bars/restaurants to carry-out only, closed theaters, hair shops, sporting events, parks, camping and all retail except for grocery, gas, etc. Plus ordered no gatherings greater than 10 in public spaces.

IMO... I'm thinking that's sufficient for my area which is mostly rural and no major metropolitan sized cities. Although there are a lot of people just not taking this seriously... I doubt a legal order will change much of that.

Thoughts..?

The general consensus within the scientific community is that, as silverfish said, even if you're in a region that hasn't been impacted by it yet, it's probably only a matter of time before it arrives.

The data from the last outbreak along these lines a century ago suggested that the areas which were affected the least were those that had the most restrictive quarantine policies.

From what I've read so far, although I'm not a scientist my understanding is the virus can be present in people who either exhibit no symptoms for up to 3 weeks or the symptoms end up being very mild for some, and all the while as carriers they are spreading the virus to others that whole time.

I'd tend to think stay at home orders and travel restrictions on a federal level might be considered: I'm reasonably sure the good folks of Wyoming, Idaho, Nebraska and the Dakotas probably don't want hundreds of thousands of people currently living near the urban epicenters who could possibly have the virus yet are currently exhibiting no symptoms rushing to the center of the country to any of their states in an attempt to flee the hot spots. Much the same as I'd imagine on a micro level the folks in less populated areas of Wyoming wouldn't want people in the greater and more populated Cheyenne Metro Area fleeing to smaller towns in Wyoming should Cheyenne experience an outbreak: they'd want those folks in Cheyenne to stay put and stay at home in order to contain the spread, both within the Cheyenne area/between the residents of Cheyenne AND from the rest of the state.

Does that rationale make sense?

A legal order may well not change the minds of people who aren't taking this seriously. Unfortunately, the virus doesn't care what your religion is, or how smart you are, or what your political beliefs are, or if you think stay-at-home orders are necessary or something to be taken seriously, or if you live in a city, suburb or rural area...it doesn't even care which side of the Roth/Hagar divide you fall on.

twonabomber
04-05-2020, 08:05 PM
I dunno...people already don't follow laws. Are orders laws?

People are going to get antsy once the weather breaks. Good luck keeping everyone inside if these orders get extended again and again.

A lot of local events have already cancelled, getting into July now. County fair is mid-July, I think they'll cancel soon. Our Fourth of July festival was cancelled. One good thing out of that...I don't have to clean my house for the party I have for the fireworks show.

I really don't mind being home. Went for a bike ride Friday and my friend commented that it sucked that we couldn't stop and eat after. Just a lot of stuff we like to do that we won't be doing.

FORD
04-05-2020, 08:46 PM
http://www.upl.co/uploads/recap1586133970.png

FORD
04-05-2020, 09:01 PM

People are going to get antsy once the weather breaks. Good luck keeping everyone inside if these orders get extended again and again.

A lot of local events have already cancelled, getting into July now. County fair is mid-July, I think they'll cancel soon. Our Fourth of July festival was cancelled. One good thing out of that...I don't have to clean my house for the party I have for the fireworks show.

I really don't mind being home. Went for a bike ride Friday and my friend commented that it sucked that we couldn't stop and eat after. Just a lot of stuff we like to do that we won't be doing.

The "Capital City Marathon" which runs right by my house every May has been cancelled. The LGBT's have cancelled all their usual June "pride" events. Our mid July "Capitol Lakefair" is still scheduled... at least for now. Though I don't know how they're going to elect the "royal court" of teenage beauty queens with all the high schools closed. So I would be surprised if they didn't pull the plug.

Even if this pandemic backs off it looks like a boring summer ahead..... :sleepy:

Nickdfresh
04-05-2020, 09:04 PM
A better day in NY, the number of deaths is down from 630 Friday to 594 Saturday and hospitalizations are down, but Cuomo says that might be "just a blip". Hopefully things keep trending downward...

Seshmeister
04-05-2020, 11:21 PM
Well hopefully but it seems too early for you guys to be over the worst.

Is it true 15 Ststes allowed church services to go ahead today in the US? If so that is complete lunacy.

Seshmeister
04-05-2020, 11:34 PM
http://www.upl.co/uploads/recap1586133970.png

I hope some detailed research is done, and I'm sure it will be, on how many deaths were due to ineffective politicians who ignored the science early on.

I've heard figures of 50% already being mentioned - which is likely to be at least 100 000 needless deaths in the US.

It would be good if people were held to account on that even of it is the bare minimum of not re-electing them. Some of them have been so bad like that governor in Georgia, I honestly think they should face criminal charges,

Washington State and California seem to have done ok but how much of that has been undermined by Trump and the mixed messages from the executive? Same here.

Nickdfresh
04-06-2020, 01:00 AM

We're not, the APEX is coming...

Is it true 15 Ststes allowed church services to go ahead today in the US? If so that is complete lunacy.

Yes, but there is growing backlash against these profiteering shitheads...

ZahZoo
04-06-2020, 08:33 AM

The orders are laws and from what I'm observing via the news and social media is there's a fair amount of people in states with stay-at-home orders that aren't following them despite the formal declaration from their governor.

One thing to understand at least in my state, Arkansas... there's multiple orders in place that have shut down about 75% of all businesses. No gatherings over 10 people any where, motels/hotels are now only allowed to serve essential personnel, no out of state unless verified medical, military or essential business. Bars, restaurants, carry-out or drive-thru only. Theaters, sports, entertainment, recreational areas, trails, camping, etc... all closed.

Even churches in this bible belt region are only holding on-line services... funerals are grave side immediate family only. No weddings, baptisms, etc...

I'd say about 90% of the population is acting responsibly and staying at home... An official order won't effect much other than kill about 200k jobs and 5-10% that won't follow the order will still be idiots...

FORD
04-06-2020, 12:21 PM

Palm Sunday's not a huge day for church attendance, as far as I know, but next week is the big question. Easter is probably the biggest church attendance day of the year under "normal" circumstances. It's been years since I went to an Easter service, so it won't be a big deal for me to miss it. For other folks, I hope their churches have some sort of online video sermon going. I'm sure JC wouldn't want anybody celebrating His resurrection by dropping dead a couple of weeks later.

ZahZoo
04-06-2020, 02:03 PM
I work audio engineering for our contemporary church services... typical service has 5 songs. Mostly modern, christian rock based material.

For the last 3 weeks we've been recording the songs with just just the musicians, singers and 1 engineer. 7-8 of us tops. We have a 32 channel board and use 16-18 channels for the music. The music is all recorded digitally with 5 go-pros for video and the contemporary leader masters it down to a stereo track. They also record the sermon and any other program content and it all goes to youtube and facebook plus a sound only recording to a local radio station for a digital broadcast Sunday morning.

Same thing planned for Easter service.

Terry
04-06-2020, 04:35 PM
We're not, the APEX is coming...

Yes, but there is growing backlash against these profiteering shitheads...

I wouldn't say this is necessarily the rationale behind all of the churches which are still doing business-as-usual Sunday congregation services, but with the business-as-usual model in terms of the collection plate being passed around, it's much easier to skim and stash undeclared tangible cash direct from the pockets of the parish than it is if they are clicking an online donation button which leaves an electronic record.

ZahZoo
04-08-2020, 01:45 PM
Churches and the money aspect is an uncomfortable subject for many... lot of money flows thru those institutions... much for good things, but I'm sure a portion not so much.

I am shaking my head at a bunch of idiots in Little Rock... they decided to have a parade of sorts yesterday. More like a car cruising event. No floats, or crowds in the streets. Just fools driving together. Cops shut it down pretty quick... One fight broke out. All involved in the fight were arrested.

Nickdfresh
04-08-2020, 04:56 PM
Swannie House, AJ's Clarence Hollow
By Stephen T. Watson
Published April 7, 2020|Updated April 7, 2020

The state Liquor Authority suspended on an emergency basis the licenses for taverns in Buffalo and Clarence accused of violating the state's Covid-19 restrictions on bar and restaurant operations.

The authority's board on Tuesday afternoon voted to issue emergency suspensions for Swannie House, 170 Ohio St., and AJ's Clarence Hollow, 10250 Main St., according to an authority spokesman.

Once a liquor license is summarily suspended, the license holder has the right to an expedited hearing before an administrative law judge. The suspension order remains in effect until it is changed by the authority or through a judicial review.

Erie County Health Department employees and sheriff's deputies had closed the taverns on March 27 after receiving complaints that the two were serving patrons on the premises.

Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo had issued a state executive order on March 22 closing all bars and restaurants except for takeout and delivery orders.

County Health Department spokeswoman Kara Kane had said the employees were following up on complaints from the public and that the closings are temporary but don't have an end date.

According to a statement from the liquor authority, Erie County officials received a complaint on March 27 that the Swannie House was continuing normal daily operations. The complaint included a video showing about 12 people at the bar consuming alcoholic beverages.

When Erie County sheriff's deputies arrived at 9 p.m., they found the front door locked and saw customers leaving through a rear door.

The same day, county officials received complaints that AJ’s in Clarence also was continuing to operate. A health inspector watched the restaurant for about 30 minutes and saw 11 people inside the bar.

Deputies and health inspectors who went into the bar were met by the owner. After they told him he was in violation of the governor's order, he insisted he couldn't stop customers from hanging out and drinking inside the premises.

Al Toralti, an owner of AJ's Clarence Hollow, told The Buffalo News the next day that he took responsibility for what happened but said he didn't intentionally set out to violate the state order.

Toralti said he had a minimal staff on for that day and he said he wasn't prepared when his phone line blew up with orders for fish fries and other meals starting around 5 p.m.

The business wasn't able to keep up with the volume of orders and customers ended up having to wait around for their food, he said.

Some had gotten drinks to go – which are permitted under the state order – and they ended up standing or sitting near the bar with them until their food was ready to carry out.

"It was definitely my fault," Toralti said. "I basically just lost control."

“Bar and restaurant owners have to take this new reality seriously,” Erie County Executive Mark C. Poloncarz said in a statement released the next day. “These regulations are in place for a deadly serious reason, and bars and restaurants that are open in violation of the law are putting their customers and their employees at risk. This is unacceptable and we will shut you down.”

https://buffalonews.com/2020/04/07/state-suspends-liquor-licenses-for-swannie-house-ajs-clarence-hollow/

Nitro Express
04-08-2020, 09:20 PM
Our neighbor is a cardiologist. He said with the ski resorts closed and the tourist industry shutdown our hospital isn’t busy at all. So some of the staff are in New Jersey helping out there.

FORD
04-08-2020, 11:39 PM
Safeway is a little tone deaf in their advertising this week..

Right on the front page they're advertising this product.......

https://www.totalwine.com/dynamic/490x/media/sys_master/twmmedia/haa/h35/12346317307934.png

Ooops.....

Not that I would drink alcoholic "seltzer" in either case. Probably just rebranded Zima or some shit like that..... and if the product sticks around at all, it's probably going to have a new name really soon.

Kinda like that "Aids" diet appetite suppressant candy they made in the 70s. You don't see that shit anymore, for obvious reasons.

twonabomber
04-09-2020, 04:51 AM
I wonder what the lead time is on those ads. Could have been planned and printed a month ago.

"Spiked water" is the 2000's wine cooler...

Seshmeister
04-09-2020, 08:21 AM
I work audio engineering for our contemporary church services... typical service has 5 songs. Mostly modern, christian rock based material.

For the last 3 weeks we've been recording the songs with just just the musicians, singers and 1 engineer. 7-8 of us tops. We have a 32 channel board and use 16-18 channels for the music. The music is all recorded digitally with 5 go-pros for video and the contemporary leader masters it down to a stereo track. They also record the sermon and any other program content and it all goes to youtube and facebook plus a sound only recording to a local radio station for a digital broadcast Sunday morning.

Same thing planned for Easter service.

Suggested song titles

"Nice One Jesus"

"Thanks a bunch god"

"I want to praise you, I know I oughta but then you filled my lungs with water"

FORD
04-09-2020, 03:51 PM
I wonder what the lead time is on those ads. Could have been planned and printed a month ago.

"Spiked water" is the 2000's wine cooler...

Well, the previous week's ad had a thank you note to their employees for working under the current crisis (or words to that effect) so this one would have had to be printed during the pandemic. Maybe they printed it on April 1 and somebody thought it would be a good "April Fools" joke?

FORD
04-09-2020, 07:16 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KryntbtoLLU

FORD
04-09-2020, 11:08 PM
https://youtu.be/knkB-zPnqGA

twonabomber
04-10-2020, 03:18 PM
https://user-images.githubusercontent.com/13120569/77042077-50c06700-6978-11ea-8c8e-ee3846cf65fa.png

twonabomber
04-10-2020, 03:29 PM
I'm home for a week, my usual schedule. It'll be nice to get away from the bleach and 409 fumes at work. New plant manager bleach bombed the break room one morning and I coughed the rest of the week. Told our EHS guy that if my choices were being poisoned by bleach fumes or the virus, I'd take my chances with the virus.

twonabomber
04-10-2020, 05:31 PM
Wouldn't know it by stopping at the store but it appears my county is staying home:

There have been 29 coronavirus-related hospitalizations and seven Intensive Care Unit admissions as of 2 p.m., April 7. The ages of those who have been hospitalized range from 40-94 years old and the average age is 63, according to the report.

Five deaths, all men, ages range from 55 to 93. The average age is 74.

County population is around 227,255.

Seshmeister
04-10-2020, 07:17 PM
The geographical size of the US is your friend and may offset some of the crazy policies for a while at least.

The death rate for men is way higher than for women everywhere, there are various theories for this but nothing certain at the moment.

Seshmeister
04-10-2020, 07:22 PM
https://user-images.githubusercontent.com/13120569/77042077-50c06700-6978-11ea-8c8e-ee3846cf65fa.png

This is a good chart to point out as it stops people panicking about the itchy or watery eyes and sneezing caused by all the cleaning fluids....

FORD
04-10-2020, 07:49 PM
I was slightly concerned last week when I thought I was "a little over heated". Thankfully just mild dehydration, no fever. The usual seasonal allergies are annoying as ever, but not deadly at least.

twonabomber
04-10-2020, 08:41 PM
I'm back on the busy end of our machine. I'm moving most of the day. We have to wear "bump caps" and I sweat like a mofo in those things. Got warm at one point, got cold later. Typical work day. My eyes will be itchy soon. I am just itchy overall right now, slightly skeeved out. Hands and wrists are dry due to cleaners and sanitizers. I need to get in the garage and working on something, get some protective grease in my system :D

I think I was more anxious to get the fuck out of there yesterday than I am before I go on vacation. Stopped twice for supplies after work this week. Really glad to see people bringing the whole fucking family along and not watching what the kids do. Get out of the way! And the woman in front of me Wednesday night held a napkin as she picked everything up and was dropping stuff back into the cart. I think her husband was getting annoyed. This is why I shop at 6 am after work or 3 am when I am off. Having to be there when everyone else is isn't doing anything for me.

We continue to be busy. 150% of plan, this time of year we are around 75% of plan. If we have a snag it'll likely be running out of raw materials. Easter is not a paid holiday on our schedule, we'll be running. I go back next Friday night.

ZahZoo
04-11-2020, 10:54 AM
Here's the age stats for Arkansas for positive cases (1202):

0-17: 33
18-24: 75
25-44: 351
45-64: 428
65+: 284

Male = 42.5%
Female = 57.5%

Black: 296
White: 749
American Indian: 4
Asian: 17
Pacific Islander: 2
Multiracial: 3
Other: 25
Missing: 75

In my county, out of ~25,000 we've had 69 positive, 34 recovered and 4 deaths.

FORD
04-13-2020, 05:12 PM
theolympian.com
Thurston County COVID-19 cases unchanged at 80; people recovering inches up to 67
By Loumay Alesali

The number of confirmed cases of COVID-19 in Thurston County was unchanged at 80 after public health officials announced no new cases over the weekend.

However, the number of people who either have recovered or are recovering did rise to 67 on Sunday from 66 on Saturday, according to Thurston County Public Health and Social Services. Other categories were unchanged. The county still has one death and 13 people have been hospitalized.

Does the lack of new cases suggest the spread of the respiratory illness is slowing?

County data would appear to suggest it, showing a growing number of cases that peaked with 31 the week of March 30. Since then the number of cases has fallen to 13, the data show.

Seshmeister
04-13-2020, 08:17 PM
When you look at the figures from Scandinavia it looks like population density is a factor, it would help explain why deaths by population in Scotland are a good bit lower than in England.

The population density of Thurston Count is 58 per square km. In the UK as a whole it is ten times that. New York State is 159, New York City is 1100.

ZahZoo
04-15-2020, 06:29 AM
Simple logic works... more people, more spread, more dead... This version is really, really contagious.

It appears progress is being made in reducing the overall spread... I just hope people have the patience to keep the current measures going long enough to get a handle on this.

I don't believe we're even half way there yet...

ZahZoo
04-16-2020, 01:57 PM
Encouraging status for my county... 9 days no new cases confirmed and holding at 70 total. Factoring in reported recovered 40 and deaths 4 we're at 26 active cases. Out of ~25,000 population.

twonabomber
04-16-2020, 03:31 PM
Total cases reported in my county to date: 127
Total COVID-19 deaths reported in my county to date: 6

I like my chances.

Governor says the state will start to re-open in May 1st. Ima need a haircut bad by then :D

ZahZoo
04-17-2020, 07:25 AM
Yeah I haven't had a hair cut since early February... Thankful I still have a full head of hair. I'm fine with scruffy!

Seshmeister
04-17-2020, 08:16 AM
Cunt of the day - wonder if he is ELVIS' new cult leader... :)

COVID-19-Defying Pastor Wants People to Send Him Their $1,200 Stimulus Checks

BY HEMANT MEHTA
APRIL 16, 2020

Pastor Tony Spell, the head of Louisiana’s Life Tabernacle Church who has refused to close his church because “True Christians do not mind dying,” is coming after everyone’s stimulus money.

In a video released yesterday, Spell encouraged his followers to hand over their $1,200 checks. Because that’s what good Christians do.

https://youtu.be/WE6B9Mmvpyo

More at
https://friendlyatheist.patheos.com/2020/04/16/covid-19-denying-pastor-wants-people-to-send-him-their-1200-stimulus-checks/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter&fbclid=IwAR3JOvYwi4mL_UOV2QfQ9t_1vK-dLWxkxIJcWEpOuRHuUyxS7vNFLSP0qKs

Nickdfresh
04-17-2020, 11:22 AM
I sometimes wonder if Elvis is laying in an alleyway in a pool of vomit with his asshole bleeding. I hope not, but...

ZahZoo
04-17-2020, 02:49 PM
I can only assume E found a new outlet for his angst and shenanigans...

Nitro Express
04-18-2020, 06:27 PM
I can only assume E found a new outlet for his angst and shenanigans...

Elvis was raptured. Us heathens are stuck here with COVID19.

FORD
04-18-2020, 06:47 PM
Maybe the Rapture did happen? We didn't even get a visit from JC on Easter, and I don't think He's ever missed His annual "Resurrection" thread.

Nitro Express
04-19-2020, 04:01 AM
The Bible says Jesus will return like a thief in the night in a time of wars, plagues and turmoil. He came. Raptured Elvis and left.

twonabomber
04-20-2020, 05:07 PM
Ohio K-12 schools closed the rest of this school year. May re-open in the fall, possibly with a mix of on-site and at home schooling.

FORD
04-21-2020, 01:15 AM
Elvis's new cult leader is a fairly decent showman in the Fundagelical preaching sense. Reminds me a bit of Jimmy Swaggart in his pre-scandal 1980s prime.....

https://youtu.be/6dxM9sc7bwo

Hope his congregation was sitting at least 6 feet apart from each other. You don't see much of the crowd in this video, but everyone on stage at least stays a fairly decent distance from each other.

So.. I guess that's a barely passing grade on social distancing.... but since he obviously does a video feed of his sermons, why not just tell everybody that God wants them to stay the fuck at home??

twonabomber
04-21-2020, 05:59 PM
County has only gained 12 more cases in the last 5 days and holding at 6 deaths.

Went to Target this morning, wasn't too busy and no lines at the registers.

Gonna be cold a couple more days, I'll be holed up here until I go back to work Friday morning.

We are starting to run our suppliers out of material. Had some downtime due to no raw materials, not sure what this weekend will bring. Another local plant has been furloughed, we have taken on some of their material handlers to help us out. Medical techs are onsite at shift changes and checking our temperatures when we arrive. Another local plant of ours is making disposable face shields and donating them to the hospital system.

twonabomber
04-21-2020, 06:14 PM
The "Capital City Marathon" which runs right by my house every May has been cancelled.

I forgot about things like that here. The village hosts an annual "Just Run" event for families, and we have a triathlon later in the summer. No word on those yet. And the community garage sale is in June, not sure if it's going on.

Had some local bands scheduled to play outside on Friday nights and there was some new music festival planned. Probably not happening.

ZahZoo
04-22-2020, 07:23 AM
We had a big jump in positive cases yesterday which concerned me but the details were released and 264 out of 302 cases came from prisons. The rest of the state is pretty much flat.

twonabomber
04-22-2020, 12:10 PM
We had a big jump in positive cases yesterday which concerned me but the details were released and 264 out of 302 cases came from prisons. The rest of the state is pretty much flat.

Last week one of the counties south of here had more cases than Cuyahoga County (where Cleveland is) and it was the same reason, there's a prison in that county. There's another prison a county east of me but I haven't heard that their case count is higher.

I am a little pissed that every prison inmate is going to be tested while those on the outside have to meet certain criteria to be tested.

Nitro Express
04-23-2020, 04:49 AM

I imagine Arkansas has warmed up enough where the virus will start to die off. Warm weather usually does them in. One of our local nurses just returned from New Jersey where they helped out there. She said there were some very sick people and the worst was they couldn't have any visitors and people died alone. Maybe why the COVID19 wasn't nearly as bad in California is it's a warmer climate.

Anyways I'm tired of everyone arguing about this shit. It doesn't help the situation. It makes it worse but nobody see's things the same way and it is what it is. Still better off here than in The People's Republic of China.

ZahZoo
04-23-2020, 07:13 AM
I don't believe the temperatures in Arkansas are warm enough to have any effect yet. We're barely getting highs in the 70's and lows in the upper 40's and 50's.

Look at Miami and most of Florida they are much warmer and still seeing fairly high Covid19 spread. From reading science based stuff, it's undetermined if warmer temperatures and humidity will have a similar effect as colds and flu does.

twonabomber
04-23-2020, 08:14 AM
Not bad enough that the grocery store is out of TP, but now they are out of plastic bags at the register. They started a "scan and go" thing a few months ago, there are rolls of those bags at the registers.

Nickdfresh
04-23-2020, 09:01 AM
I imagine Arkansas has warmed up enough where the virus will start to die off. Warm weather usually does them in. One of our local nurses just returned from New Jersey where they helped out there. She said there were some very sick people and the worst was they couldn't have any visitors and people died alone. Maybe why the COVID19 wasn't nearly as bad in California is it's a warmer climate.

Anyways I'm tired of everyone arguing about this shit. It doesn't help the situation. It makes it worse but nobody see's things the same way and it is what it is. Still better off here than in The People's Republic of China.

UV and warmer temps with humility do kill the virus, but you still have to be careful as many countries had large spread in the midst of the southern hemisphere summer, like Australia...

Seshmeister
04-23-2020, 11:11 AM
Exactly - how can we rely on the heat to kill it when Australia got thousands of cases in middle of their hottest ever summer?

Nickdfresh
04-23-2020, 01:46 PM
Restaurant’s air conditioning tied to 9 COVID-19 cases among diners who sat near single infected person

Posted: Apr 23, 2020 / 09:53 AM EDT / Updated: Apr 23, 2020 / 09:53 AM EDT
GUANGZHOU, China – Researchers found that the air conditioning system at a restaurant in China likely helped pass COVID-19 from a single diner to nine other people.

The field study was performed by Chinese researchers and published on the website of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. It may provide insight into how cities and states can safely open restaurants in the future – as well as the perils of doing so.

The researchers added that their study did have limitations – for instance, they weren’t able to simulate the airborne transmission route.

The study involved three families, one of which, family A, had just traveled from Wuhan to Guangzhou Jan. 23. On January 24, the infected member of family A sat with three other family members around a table at the windowless Guangzhou eatery.

The two other families, B and C, sat at adjacent tables. An air conditioning unit was blowing air across the restaurant directly at all three families.

By Feb. 5, all four members of family A, three members of family B and two members of family C had COVID-19.

Researchers found no other known source of exposure besides the trip to the restaurant. At least one person in families B and C caught the virus at the restaurant, but it’s not known whether or not the other cases were from family transmission.

The study’s authors point out that the 73 other diners who were at the restaurant that day didn’t get sick, but those sitting in the path of the AC unit’s airflow did.

“To prevent spread of COVID-19 in restaurants, we recommend strengthening temperature-monitoring surveillance, increasing the distance between tables, and improving ventilation,” they wrote.

Copyright 2020 WIVB Ch4 (https://www.wivb.com/health/coronavirus/restaurants-air-conditioning-tied-to-9-covid-19-cases-among-diners-who-sat-near-single-infected-person/)

FORD
04-23-2020, 01:56 PM
Not bad enough that the grocery store is out of TP, but now they are out of plastic bags at the register. They started a "scan and go" thing a few months ago, there are rolls of those bags at the registers.

Plastic bags were banned a long time ago here. Most people had their own reusable bags made out of some sort of fabric, but now most stores have temporarily banned them, due to the virus risk. Which leaves the good old paper bags. Which are good for holding groceries... but not so much for carrying if you need more than one bag of groceries.. bags have "handles" but they are useless if you have more than one pound of groceries in the bag. So I take my cloth bags anyway, and wrap them around the paper bag. Win for me because the bags don't rip open. Win for the store because they get to keep their temporary policy (though my bags are virus free as long as I am). Sad that more trees have to die for the paper bags though. Might be a good time to start making them out of hemp fiber.

silverfish
04-23-2020, 02:29 PM
Wish I could take credit for this but someone on another forum I frequent posted
the following:

"Opening up certain states fully when all other states are practicing safe
distancing is the same as having a peeing section in a swimming pool!!

Nickdfresh
04-23-2020, 07:03 PM
Plastic bags were banned a long time ago here. Most people had their own reusable bags made out of some sort of fabric, but now most stores have temporarily banned them, due to the virus risk. Which leaves the good old paper bags. Which are good for holding groceries... but not so much for carrying if you need more than one bag of groceries.. bags have "handles" but they are useless if you have more than one pound of groceries in the bag. So I take my cloth bags anyway, and wrap them around the paper bag. Win for me because the bags don't rip open. Win for the store because they get to keep their temporary policy (though my bags are virus free as long as I am). Sad that more trees have to die for the paper bags though. Might be a good time to start making them out of hemp fiber.

Plastic bags were only recently banned and it wasn't even being enforced, but they can be used for the time being with the COVIDs stuff going on. Irregardless, most places are short or are out because of the law...

twonabomber
04-23-2020, 07:05 PM
Cuyahoga County banned plastic bags sometime last year and also are allowing them to be used for now.

Most of the time I just tell the cashier "I'll make it" and carry two or three items out without a bag. One less thing to have to keep track of.

Nickdfresh
04-23-2020, 07:13 PM
I guess there was a lawsuit that was blocking enforcement here. If I grab a couple things I don't bother, and I am trying to remember to stash the reusable bags in my car for groceries...

twonabomber
04-23-2020, 07:39 PM
I got a bunch of reusable bags from work. I usually forget them at home, but I got 'em!

twonabomber
04-23-2020, 07:40 PM
Had some local bands scheduled to play outside on Friday nights and there was some new music festival planned. Probably not happening.

Friday night concerts...cancelled...

FORD
04-23-2020, 08:36 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxOJ7hh3H-I

Terry
04-23-2020, 09:05 PM
Even with all the social distancing that has been in place for the last month, down here in Florida we're averaging around a hundred new confirmed cases daily over the last week, give or take.

Considering the vast majority of the population down here haven't even been tested at all, one guesses the actual amount of cases per day is higher.

Schools are closed through the end of the semester.

People seem to be gearing up for May 1st as some sort of reopening day, but exactly what restrictions will be lifted and how businesses will reopen in terms of procedure remains to be seen.

Lot of smaller/independent/non-corporate or non-conglomerate businesses...it'll be interesting to see how many of those actually come back at all, seeing as more than a few of those didn't get their small business stimulus funds before it was too late for them anyway: some of these businesses can only stay afloat for so long with next to no revenue coming in while operating expenses (even at a reduced capacity) are still going out.

The smaller, family-run hotels and motels on the Gulf? Man, they already lost part of February, all of March and now half of April, which is essentially one of THE busiest times of year where I'd imagine a healthy chunk of their yearly revenue is made...lotta available commercial real estate will be up for grabs down here in fairly short order.

silverfish
04-23-2020, 10:49 PM
Irregardless, most places are short or are out because of the law...

Sorry to be a jerkstore but "Irregardless" just sets me off. Same as "alot".
Feel free to use "regardless" instead if you like and blast away with any
grammar police/dickhead emojis.

Just me.

ZahZoo
04-24-2020, 07:49 AM
I'm still not convinced warmer temperatures are a significant factor in slowing spread of the virus.

Along with shortages of plastic grocery shopping bags, where allowed... I noticed trash bags were in short supply last week at the store. I guess with more stay at home more household trash... plus bored people cleaning out their junk.

Seshmeister
04-24-2020, 10:08 AM
Even with all the social distancing that has been in place for the last month, down here in Florida we're averaging around a hundred new confirmed cases daily over the last week, give or take.

Considering the vast majority of the population down here haven't even been tested at all, one guesses the actual amount of cases per day is higher.

Schools are closed through the end of the semester.

People seem to be gearing up for May 1st as some sort of reopening day, but exactly what restrictions will be lifted and how businesses will reopen in terms of procedure remains to be seen.

Lot of smaller/independent/non-corporate or non-conglomerate businesses...it'll be interesting to see how many of those actually come back at all, seeing as more than a few of those didn't get their small business stimulus funds before it was too late for them anyway: some of these businesses can only stay afloat for so long with next to no revenue coming in while operating expenses (even at a reduced capacity) are still going out.

The smaller, family-run hotels and motels on the Gulf? Man, they already lost part of February, all of March and now half of April, which is essentially one of THE busiest times of year where I'd imagine a healthy chunk of their yearly revenue is made...lotta available commercial real estate will be up for grabs down here in fairly short order.

The one positive thing is Trump is going to send FL lots of federal money to try and buy the election.

FORD
04-24-2020, 10:42 AM
As if Florida needed any help in stealing elections??

Nitro Express
04-24-2020, 04:41 PM
I'm still not convinced warmer temperatures are a significant factor in slowing spread of the virus.

Along with shortages of plastic grocery shopping bags, where allowed... I noticed trash bags were in short supply last week at the store. I guess with more stay at home more household trash... plus bored people cleaning out their junk.

Viruses don’t live that long and warm weather tends to reduce the spread of them. It’s why flu season is during the colder months. Anyways Fauci predicted 2 million dead Americans. That model scared the hell out of people and created a panic. In most places it hasn’t been that bad. You have a low probability of dying from COVID19 in California. Even with it’s dense population, COVID19 has not been the problem that is has been in the NYC area. California is a car culture. New Yorkers use more public transportation. That may be the difference. Anyways the death numbers from this haven’t even come remotely close to the predictions.

Nitro Express
04-24-2020, 04:55 PM
UV and warmer temps with humility do kill the virus, but you still have to be careful as many countries had large spread in the midst of the southern hemisphere summer, like Australia...

Probably because COVID19 is more contagious. People will build up immunity from it also. That’s also a factor. It’s not catching the coronavirus that’s deadly. It’s the secondary infection that causes pneumonia that is. That can be treated with antibiotics but the key to that is to get on them early. It’s pneumonia killing people and the type of people who are more susceptible to die from pneumonia are more susceptible to die from this.

Anyways you can’t shut the economy down too long because that will create a bigger crisis than COVID19. People aren’t going to stay home much longer and let their lives rot regardless of what the government says.

Nitro Express
04-24-2020, 04:58 PM
One thing that isn’t being said is eat right, exercise, get enough sleep and stay hydrated. That’s how you build a strong immune system. In general, Americans are in pretty shitty shape and that makes you susceptible to getting sick. I haven’t been really sick in 20 years.

twonabomber
04-24-2020, 07:50 PM
One thing that isn’t being said is eat right, exercise, get enough sleep and stay hydrated. That’s how you build a strong immune system. In general, Americans are in pretty shitty shape and that makes you susceptible to getting sick. I haven’t been really sick in 20 years.

Sleep has been an issue for me lately, the rest I'm ok. I'm still going out for short rides until it gets warmer and I can do some 30 milers. Back down to 183, which isn't too bad considering I can't go to the gym.

I have said all along that there's gonna be a lot of fat kids here soon.

silverfish
04-24-2020, 08:08 PM
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200423/2073a3c6afb4360223ae531b2f208501.jpg

Nickdfresh
04-24-2020, 11:29 PM
Probably because COVID19 is more contagious. People will build up immunity from it also.

Well yeah.

That’s also a factor. It’s not catching the coronavirus that’s deadly. It’s the secondary infection that causes pneumonia that is. That can be treated with antibiotics but the key to that is to get on them early. It’s pneumonia killing people and the type of people who are more susceptible to die from pneumonia are more susceptible to die from this.

Yeah, kind of an ignorant post as COVID-19 is in itself a viral pneumonia not affected by antibiotics. In addition there are all sorts of weird shit going on with a new virus in the human ecosystem, the latest is that in NYC they're finding relatively young people dead in their abodes from strokes that had Coronavirus with no symptoms and died....

Anyways you can’t shut the economy down too long because that will create a bigger crisis than COVID19. People aren’t going to stay home much longer and let their lives rot regardless of what the government says.

Yeah well something on the order of 70% support social distancing other than the often extremist fuckwits protesting. The data from the "Spanish Flu" of 1918-1920 shows that the cities that practiced stringent social distancing actually recovered much faster than the Dumbfuckistan states like Georgia...

Nickdfresh
04-24-2020, 11:31 PM
One thing that isn’t being said is eat right, exercise, get enough sleep and stay hydrated. That’s how you build , a strong immune system. In general, Americans are in pretty shitty shape and that makes you susceptible to getting sick. I haven’t been really sick in 20 years.

Again sort of a dolt post, after the second wave of the Spanish Flu, the young and healthy were the main death demographic, as the Cytokine Storm killed them the most. The immune system is aided by healthy behaviors, but it is built by exposure to cold and flu viruses and the resulting antibodies...

ZahZoo
04-25-2020, 10:54 AM
I don't believe we can lump all viruses together and assume that treatments and impacts will be similar.

Reading some of the scientific data on this COVID-19 variant... it appears the virus has mutated multiple times and we're seeing significant variation in who has mild and severe symptoms. Plus differing variations in geographical areas. Like the people most impacted in Italy have very different response and demographics compared to the people infected in California. It's actually 2 variants with differing mutations in the DNA/RNA of the virus.

Bottom line... we don't know enough about this virus to make any definitive assumptions, treatments and preventatives. Much more work ahead...

Seshmeister
04-25-2020, 11:34 AM
That said I'm pretty sure injecting bleach is a bad idea.

Seshmeister
04-25-2020, 11:37 AM
https://i.ibb.co/gTyD4Wt/wundumb.jpg

Nickdfresh
04-25-2020, 11:43 AM
On the plus side, they managed to make Whitecraw taste better!
https://scontent-ort2-2.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/94868129_10222915982917018_832366723549102080_n.jp g?_nc_cat=109&_nc_sid=8024bb&_nc_ohc=suIJzadXZLwAX9_0alL&_nc_ht=scontent-ort2-2.xx&oh=b08bebe2361dd89435ab9ea516cc19eb&oe=5EC81E3C

Nickdfresh
04-25-2020, 02:22 PM
I don't believe we can lump all viruses together and assume that treatments and impacts will be similar.

Reading some of the scientific data on this COVID-19 variant... it appears the virus has mutated multiple times and we're seeing significant variation in who has mild and severe symptoms. Plus differing variations in geographical areas. Like the people most impacted in Italy have very different response and demographics compared to the people infected in California. It's actually 2 variants with differing mutations in the DNA/RNA of the virus.

Bottom line... we don't know enough about this virus to make any definitive assumptions, treatments and preventatives. Much more work ahead...

Here ya' go! From The Daily Mail (https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8252701/Coronavirus-dies-SUNLIGHT-just-minutes-reveals-striking-study.html?ito=social-facebook&fbclid=IwAR1rkKw_YsgQARzvKIpSUoaNS3kvNtrcbMuXiN0MD iPXjV6XXgMzrwjX7lo):

Sunlight may kill the coronavirus on surfaces within minutes, according to an unpublished study carried out by US Department of Homeland Security scientists that has not been reviewed by independent experts.

Their results suggest radiation given off by UV rays can damage the virus' genetic material and hamper its ability to replicate on surfaces. There is no evidence UV rays can kill the coronavirus in the body.

The 'evidence' was unveiled at last night's White House press briefing by DHS offical Bill Bryan, who has no scientific background - and triggered a bizarre outburst by Donald Trump.

On the back of the claims, Trump proposed two dangerous new treatments, which included injecting cleaning agents in the body and the use of ultraviolet lights.

Terry
04-25-2020, 07:20 PM
The one positive thing is Trump is going to send FL lots of federal money to try and buy the election.

Yeah?

Well, you wouldn't know it thus far from the (to say the least) sluggish response on a technical level of the state unemployment website in terms of people even being able to log in and simply submit a claim: to be sure, for those laid off, furloughed or whatnot, the extra short-term federal $600.00 a week on top of Florida's unemployment benefits cap of $275.00 per week was most welcome. However, if people can't even get their claims processed in a timely manner to GET said federal money, it ain't gonna do Trump much good come November.

The $1200 per person give away will be appreciated by many of those same folks above, without a doubt.

Am honestly just thankful I am still working full time.

Nitro Express
04-25-2020, 08:15 PM
What we are discovering is COVID19 is not as deadly as feared but it’s highly contagious. The virus causes a secondary bacterial infection in the respiratory system. The good news is if you notice you have pneumonia symptoms (wheezing and crackling noises coming from the lungs) usually getting on antibiotics kills the infection. The key is to get on a Z-Pack early.

We have some friends in Washington State who caught COVID19. They were pretty sick for a week. Fortunately they were put on antibiotics early to avoid the pneumonia and both recovered. Neither were hospitalized. If you are old, weak, out of shape it might be a different story. Our friends are mountain climbers, skiers and mountain bikers. They are in good shape and in their mid 50’s.

So take the same precautions as you would during a bad flu season and if you notice problems with your lungs get into the doctor ASAP even if you feel fine and have no fever.

Nitro Express
04-25-2020, 08:26 PM
That said I'm pretty sure injecting bleach is a bad idea.

Our daughter is a medical laboratory scientist. She said disinfectant is a medical term used to describe cleaning the blood using medical procedures. That’s probably what the president was referring to. People saying he said to use bleach or Lysol are just trolls. Granted, Gold Finger ain’t the most eloquent communicator in the world but sheesh. He ain’t referring to maintaining Clorox or huffing Lysol but maybe crack might work. Maybe the government should hand out free crack.

Nickdfresh
04-25-2020, 09:50 PM
What we are discovering is COVID19 is not as deadly as feared but it’s highly contagious. The virus causes a secondary bacterial infection in the respiratory system. The good news is if you notice you have pneumonia symptoms (wheezing and crackling noises coming from the lungs) usually getting on antibiotics kills the infection. The key is to get on a Z-Pack early.

You're a retard or a fucking asshole and a troll fraud. Maybe you're probably the moron that tells your doctor to give you antibiotics for a cold:

From the Oxford COVID-19 Evidence Team (https://www.cebm.net/covid-19/differentiating-viral-from-bacterial-pneumonia/):

VERDICT
A severe complication of COVID-19 is viral pneumonia. Distinguishing viral pneumonia from bacterial pneumonia is difficult in the community. In some cases, they could co-exist, increasing the chance of a more unfortunate outcome. However, there may be important clues in the history and the examination that can help differentiate the two. Recent guidance from NICE (UK) will support clinicians in this process.

We have some friends in Washington State who caught COVID19. They were pretty sick for a week. Fortunately they were put on antibiotics early to avoid the pneumonia and both recovered. Neither were hospitalized. If you are old, weak, out of shape it might be a different story. Our friends are mountain climbers, skiers and mountain bikers. They are in good shape and in their mid 50’s.

Bullshit, your fucking friends are a figment of your imagination like most of the other troll nonsense you post...

So take the same precautions as you would during a bad flu season and if you notice problems with your lungs get into the doctor ASAP even if you feel fine and have no fever.

Yeah, take antibiotics for the flu, retard... :painkiller:

Nickdfresh
04-25-2020, 09:53 PM
Our daughter is a medical laboratory scientist.

Sounds like the most generic bullshit job title I've heard...

She said disinfectant is a medical term used to describe cleaning the blood using medical procedures. That’s probably what the president was referring to. People saying he said to use bleach or Lysol are just trolls. Granted, Gold Finger ain’t the most eloquent communicator in the world but sheesh. He ain’t referring to maintaining Clorox or huffing Lysol but maybe crack might work. Maybe the government should hand out free crack.

Maybe your daughter smokes free crack? Are you fucking insane? That's definitely NOT what he was referring too. Idiot.

But here is what he said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXwIw0V0YcY[/VIDEO]

He said using disinfectant and UV inside the body. Spin that one, jerkoff...

Seshmeister
04-26-2020, 08:16 AM
Our daughter is a medical laboratory scientist. She said disinfectant is a medical term used to describe cleaning the blood using medical procedures. That’s probably what the president was referring to.

Bullshit

Nickdfresh
04-26-2020, 09:15 AM
Maybe she bleaches assholes?

ZahZoo
04-26-2020, 10:10 AM
Here ya' go! From The Daily Mail (https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8252701/Coronavirus-dies-SUNLIGHT-just-minutes-reveals-striking-study.html?ito=social-facebook&fbclid=IwAR1rkKw_YsgQARzvKIpSUoaNS3kvNtrcbMuXiN0MD iPXjV6XXgMzrwjX7lo):

I was referring to medical treatments and the severity COVID-19 has on differing populations, differing pre-existing conditions and the variance in recovery/death rates in differing regions and population demographics.

Certainly, UV/sunlight and temperature may reduce the half-life of the virus outdoors on various surfaces... that's not a disputed fact... it reduces the infectiousness of the virus living on non-biological things outdoors.

But... this is important... it does not reduce the infectiousness and spread of the virus in aerosol form, human to human, indoors nor outdoors. This explains the high rate of infection and contagiousness in places like southern Florida which has no shortage of heat, UV light and humidity... yet also has over 30K cases and over 1000 deaths.

silverfish
04-26-2020, 04:30 PM
That’s probably what the president was referring to.

You may be right. And we can thank Randy Rainbow who put it to song so it's easy to remember...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPDPzbLFeP4

Seshmeister
04-26-2020, 07:58 PM
What we are discovering is COVID19 is not as deadly as feared but it’s highly contagious.

Fucking NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO fucking shut the fuck up!

Your one anecdotal story means nothing. I can't believe after all this time you are posting this shit.

I have various friends of friends who were way younger and I assume fitter than you with no underlying health problems that this thing has fucked up, A couple died. You don't want to get this - it's not fucking man flu.

ZahZoo
04-27-2020, 09:41 AM
Indeed, a quick Z-Pack of antibiotics is NOT going to help with Covid-19 in majority of serious cases.

Not to mention... antibiotics are only effective on bacterial, not viral infections.

Nickdfresh
04-27-2020, 01:55 PM
For most of the time since I heard or watched stuff on the 1918 "Spanish" Flu Pandemic, I assumed it attacked and killed the young. This was only mainly true until the second wave hit. The first wave primarily went after old people that typically are more vulnerable to colds and flues. When the H1N1 virus mutated over the summer, it came back with a vengeance unleashing cytokine storms in the immune systems of the young. It appears to be happening again...

twonabomber
04-28-2020, 01:26 AM
Ohio businesses will be reopening in stages. No bars, restaurants, gyms, or barbershops yet.

I bought a set of Wahl clippers and my friend is going to run loose with them over the weekend. I may be scared.

Outdoors (read: gun shop) store down in Amish country re-opened Saturday. Went down that way to the cheese shop and the pawn shop. Scored a clean Roland GP-8 for $125. Like I need any more shit to figure out...

ZahZoo
04-28-2020, 09:17 AM
I haven't had a hair cut since early February... I'm thinking my mullet may make a comeback and world tour when the world opens back up...

Nickdfresh
04-28-2020, 10:26 AM
Ohio businesses will be reopening in stages. No bars, restaurants, gyms, or barbershops yet.

I bought a set of Wahl clippers and my friend is going to run loose with them over the weekend. I may be scared.

Outdoors (read: gun shop) store down in Amish country re-opened Saturday. Went down that way to the cheese shop and the pawn shop. Scored a clean Roland GP-8 for $125. Like I need any more shit to figure out...

Gov. Cuomo outlined a similar plan here, though he wouldn't give specific dates it seems like May 15 be infrastructure and manufacturing, then every two weeks the rest. June 1st I think nonessential stores will open with restrictions and June 15th will be most everything else, with restrictions...

FORD
04-29-2020, 11:44 AM
Washington breweries 'treading water' to survive
Beer commission says half of state's small to medium-size beer makers could close permanently if stay-home measures extend into summer.
Author: Drew Mikkelsen
king5.com

OLYMPIA, Wash — Hundreds of microbreweries are in danger of going out of business, according to the Washington State Beer Commission.

The commission's Executive Director Eric Radovich fears extending the stay home order could kill breweries already struggling to survive. .

“The stay at home order lingering into the summer months would be devastating for our breweries,” Radovich said. “We would probably see in the neighborhood of 50% of our state's 420 breweries have to close their doors permanently.”

He said the neighborhood breweries who rely on tastings and meal service are the hardest hit.

He said those that sell kegs have also taken steep losses, with most restaurants and bars closed.

Keith Ciani, co-owner of Olympia’s Headless Mumby Brewing Company, described his business as "treading water" right now.

“The only money we have is from people who walk in and buy stuff,” said Ciani, “We’ve decided to go day-to-day.”

He said they’ve had to lay off three of their five employees as keg sales have almost stopped.

Ciani said in one week in February the company sold more than $10,000 in kegs.

Since March, they’ve sold a total of about $500 worth.

He’s anxious for the stay home order to end, but he’s not sure business will get back to normal anytime soon.

“That’s what scares the hell out of me,” Ciani said. “I don’t know how many people want to come back in here on a packed Friday night and the keg sales aren’t going to come back in just like that.”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZoSg5PiTgZc

Nickdfresh
04-29-2020, 05:09 PM
In race for a coronavirus vaccine, an Oxford group leaps ahead
By DAVID D. KIRKPATRICK
THE NEW YORK TIMES |
APR 27, 2020 | 9:00 PM

In the worldwide race for a vaccine to stop the coronavirus, the laboratory sprinting fastest is at Oxford University.

Most other teams have had to start with small clinical trials of a few hundred participants to demonstrate safety. But scientists at the university’s Jenner Institute had a head start on a vaccine, having proved in previous trials that similar inoculations — including one last year against an earlier coronavirus — were harmless to humans.

That has enabled them to leap ahead and schedule tests of their new coronavirus vaccine involving more than 6,000 people by the end of next month, hoping to show not only that it is safe but also that it works.

The Oxford scientists now say that with an emergency approval from regulators, the first few million doses of their vaccine could be available by September — at least several months ahead of any of the other announced efforts — if it proves to be effective.

Now, they have received promising news suggesting that it might.

Scientists at the National Institutes of Health’s Rocky Mountain Laboratory in Montana last month inoculated six rhesus macaque monkeys with single doses of the Oxford vaccine. The animals were then exposed to heavy quantities of the virus that is causing the pandemic — exposure that had consistently sickened other monkeys in the lab. But more than 28 days later all six were healthy, said Vincent Munster, the researcher who conducted the test.
Rest of story at Chicago Tribune (https://www.chicagotribune.com/coronavirus/ct-nw-nyt-vaccine-clinical-trials-oxford-jenner-institute-20200428-trcanc63srhkxnk3efy7xaem2a-story.html)

FORD
04-29-2020, 07:24 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_iUwBOu9FE

ZahZoo
04-30-2020, 07:54 AM
Here's the Phase 1 rules for restaurants reopening dining on May 11 in Arkansas...

Dine-in service may resume; however, seating shall be limited up to 33% of total seating
capacity. This includes indoor and outdoor dining areas.
 Seating shall be adjusted to maintain 10-foot physical distancing between tables so occupied
seats are six feet from seats at adjacent tables.
 Reservations should be encouraged when practical. If reservations are not made,
physical distancing must be maintained when customers are waiting to be seated.
 All staff who come in contact with patrons must wear a face mask that completely
covers their nose and mouth. Staff in the back are encouraged to wear a face mask.
 All staff are required to wear gloves. Gloves shall be changed out between each
customer, customer group, or task.
 Patrons must wear a face covering upon entrance and while in the restaurant until
the food or drink is served.
 All staff shall be screened daily before entering the facility. Any employee with a
cough, sore throat, fever, or shortness of breath shall be immediately excluded from
the facility.
 Signage must be placed at the front of restaurants to alert patrons not to enter the
facility if they are sick or have symptoms such as cough, sore throat, fever, or
shortness of breath.
 Monitoring of frequent handwashing and no bare-hand contact of ready-to-eat
foods by staff.
 Encourage customers to pre-order meals to reduce time spent in the facility. This
includes for takeout services.
 Groups shall be limited, not to exceed 10 people.
 Restaurants are encouraged to have a senior hour to provide exclusive access to
these high-risk individuals.
 Self-service operations, including, but not limited to, salad bars, buffets, and
condiment bars shall remain closed for patron access.
 Facilities with any employee testing positive shall be reported to the Arkansas Department
of Health immediately.
 Following each meal service, the tables, chairs, menus and any other frequently contacted
surfaces including, but not limited to, condiment containers, napkin holders and salt/pepper
shakers shall be cleaned and disinfected prior to seating the next customer.
o Products with an EPA-approved emerging viral pathogen claims are expected to
be effective against COVID-19. Follow the manufacturer’s instructions for these
products. For a list of EPA-approved emerging pathogen sanitizers:
https://www.epa.gov/pesticide-registration/list-n-disinfectants-use-againstsars-cov-2. (Non-food contact surfaces may be sanitized with 1/2 cup of regular,
unscented bleach per gallon of water followed by a 5-minute contact time.)
 Food contact surfaces shall be sanitized in accordance with §4-501.114 of the Rules
Pertaining to Retail Food Establishments.
 Single-Use items including, but not limited to, disposable silverware, condiment
packets, and straws shall be removed from public access and provided only upon
request.
 Bars and entertainment operations (such as live music, in-seat gaming devices, or
arcades) within restaurants are prohibited. Normal service of alcohol within the
restaurant seating area is allowed. This does not restrict the preparation of alcoholic
beverages in the bar area.
 Restrooms and other high-touch areas shall be disinfected frequently based on
customer volume.
 Service may be declined to patrons not wearing masks.
The above restrictions will be in place until the Secretary of Health determines epidemiological
data are sufficient to proceed to Phase 2 and then Phase 3. The requirements for Phase 2 and 3
will supersede the above-mentioned requirements. Phase 2 will include less restrictive measures
such as increasing the total available seating to 66% and opening bars and entertainment
operations while maintaining 6 feet physical distance among patrons. Phase 3 will include
returning to normal operations with full seating capacity.

Seshmeister
04-30-2020, 09:18 AM
Working in a hot kitchen wearing a mask would not be fun.

Nickdfresh
04-30-2020, 11:09 AM
One German researcher half-jokingly said drinking a shot of whiskey every 15 mins might kill COVID. He was kidding, but he said actually the science was real but not realistic or a good life plan...

twonabomber
04-30-2020, 12:44 PM
Working in a hot kitchen wearing a mask would not be fun.

We're getting masks at work and feel the same way about wearing them on the shop floor when it's 95 degrees in August.

Nickdfresh
04-30-2020, 09:40 PM
Been there done that, I wore full tyvek and a mask in the heat of a Virginia summer more than a few times working in the mid -90'sF in high humidity with no shade because of HAZMAT restrictions. I never passed out but almost did once, and when I would get home after a few beers my colored tee shirts would have white salt stains after drying out...

Nitro Express
05-01-2020, 03:57 AM
Been there done that, I wore full tyvek and a mask in the heat of a Virginia summer more than a few times working in the mid -90'sF in high humidity with no shade because of HAZMAT restrictions. I never passed out but almost did once, and when I would get home after a few beers my colored tee shirts would have white salt stains after drying out...

Was that at Fort AP Hill? Been there in July. It’s definitely hot and muggy.

Nickdfresh
05-01-2020, 03:41 PM
Was that at Fort AP Hill? Been there in July. It’s definitely hot and muggy.

Naw, never been there...

FORD
05-01-2020, 04:31 PM
Well, the annual "May Day" protest parade just passed by FORD Country HQ. Did things a little differently this year..... it was all in cars, and most of the people were wearing masks.... so definitely a more responsible crowd than what happened a couple weeks ago at the Capitol.

Though it's ironic as Hell to see a "Death to Capitalism" sign on a vehicle powered by the international predatory oil companies (don't think it was an EV or even a hybrid)

Nickdfresh
05-01-2020, 05:34 PM
Well, the annual "May Day" protest parade just passed by FORD Country HQ. Did things a little differently this year..... it was all in cars, and most of the people were wearing masks.... so definitely a more responsible crowd than what happened a couple weeks ago at the Capitol.

Though it's ironic as Hell to see a "Death to Capitalism" sign on a vehicle powered by the international predatory oil companies (don't think it was an EV or even a hybrid)

Commies refine oil and make hideous smog machines too, Ford...

Nitro Express
05-02-2020, 05:15 AM
Well Lada's and Zil's were green vehicles when they didn't run and needed to be pushed which was quite often.

FORD
05-02-2020, 03:07 PM
Public Information Officer, Washington Emergency Management Division AGENCY

The Extension of the Stay Home, Stay Healthy order will be through May 31, Gov. Inslee & Health officials announced today. There will be new allowances for retail curbside pickup; car washes; and landscaping. Also, drive-in spiritual services can go forward with one household per vehicle.
Moving forward, there will be four phases allowing more areas of the state to re-open after each phase based on a data-driven approach. Information on that here: https://coronavirus.wa.gov/what-you-need

These phases depend on continued success in slowing the spread of COVID-19 and meeting four capabilities including:
✔️health care system readiness
✔️testing capacity
✔️ability to do contact investigations
✔️ability to protect high-risk populations.

Not every part of the state is experiencing #COVID19 the same way. County variances are allowed. Smaller counties could reopen. Counties with fewer than 50,000 residents not hit hard by #COVID19 will be able to apply to the Department of Health for a variance that will allow the county to open to the second phase. Cities and counties can also take more strict actions than what the state is mandating. That is up to them based on their public health needs and local decision making.

While state parks and state land are re-opening May 5, before traveling, check with your destination. More information: https://parks.state.wa.us/1177/Novel-Cor...

Businesses are also expected to implement any additional requirements developed specifically for their industry such as those that have been established for construction.
The state is entering into Phase 1, with some aspects starting on May 5. More details will be announced on Monday. The governor has already allowed some construction to resume as well as reopening of some recreational activities including day use at state parks, playing golf, fishing and hunting. Officials are working with industries to develop new protocols that could soon also allow for retail curbside pickup; car washes; and landscaping and drive-in spiritual services with one household per vehicle.

When COVID-19 disease burden is low and decreasing and the four capabilities described above are met, the governor will move from Phase 1 to Phase 2.

▶️ Phase 2: Additional expansions of outdoor recreation activities would be allowed, as well as small gatherings of 5 or fewer people, new construction and in-store retail purchases with health restrictions. Barber shops and salons could reopen and house cleaning services. Restaurants could reopen with 50 percent capacity and table size no larger than 5. Some professional services and offices could open up as well, even though teleworking would remain strongly encouraged. Pet care services including grooming could resume.

▶️ Phase 3: Gatherings of 50 people or less, including sports activities, would be allowed, and non-essential travel could resume. Restaurants could move up to 75 percent capacity and tables up to 10 people, and bars at 25 percent capacity; gyms and movie theaters could reopen at 50 percent capacity; retail, libraries, museums and government buildings could reopen. Recreational facilities like pools could open at 50 percent capacity. Nightclubs and entertainment venues would still not be able to reopen.

▶️ Phase 4: Would involve resuming the majority of public interactions. Gatherings of more than 50 people would be allowed, but still while practicing social distancing.
A larger version of the chart, which is also screen reader compliant, can be found at: bit.ly/3aV44Kr

Watch the full press conference here: https://www.tvw.org/watch/?eventID=20200...

FORD
05-04-2020, 11:34 PM
https://youtu.be/edcoO7dfhoA

ZahZoo
05-05-2020, 09:30 AM
Only in America... Drive-thru strip clubs... SMH...

Nickdfresh
05-05-2020, 01:41 PM
Only in America... Drive-thru strip clubs... SMH...

It's not a drive-thru strip club! It's exotic curbside food service!!:nono:

ZahZoo
05-05-2020, 04:54 PM
LOL yeah right... just a bunch of floozies and Ho's™... er performance artists... dancin for their dinner and yours...

Seshmeister
05-05-2020, 10:53 PM
They could be hounds under those masks... :)

Nitro Express
05-06-2020, 02:38 AM
Crabs might not be on the menu but you still can get them.

Nickdfresh
05-06-2020, 11:56 AM
https://bloody-disgusting.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/fright-night-3-book.jpg

Nickdfresh
05-06-2020, 12:09 PM
Rumblings about concerts being played at drive-in theaters (current and former) as people stay in their car. I heard this on a Canadian station and it was mentioned in Cuomo's daily Corona briefing...

Seshmeister
05-06-2020, 04:40 PM
That could work up to a point, I see that in Germany there is a culture of drive ins and people are doing it already for movies.

The essential problem though is that for live music to work a lack of social distancing is precisely what it requires. Same goes for live comedy and dancing in a nightclub - anyone who has experienced any of these when they have not been busy (I certainly have from the stage :) ) knows there is a tipping point you need.

FORD
05-06-2020, 08:02 PM
Closest drive in theater is about 20 miles away in Shelton. Haven't been there since the 1990s but from what I remember, I can't imagine live bands playing there at all. Though the casino down the road from there gets the occasional previously big name acts, so who knows... they might be willing to take their shows to the outdoor stage.

FORD
05-07-2020, 01:39 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GnxtkcdGGc

silverfish
05-07-2020, 10:39 PM
Put your hands in the air like you don't care....

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200507/9e175b26ddd68c1ad5de178efef37057.jpg

FORD
05-09-2020, 01:35 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmM_zcXd-1o

ZahZoo
05-09-2020, 01:40 PM
I'm really conflicted on this whole wearing masks business... as I understand the common science on this is the masks don't protect you at all from micro or aerosol droplets containing the virus, just large droplets. They "may" just reduce the amount on contagion an infected person might spew, plus reduce the range of dispersing it.

At the grocery store about 98% of people are masked up... went to the Ace Hardware store today and less 20% were wearing masks. I was like to hell with it but my wife insisted I stay masked... SMH

twonabomber
05-09-2020, 04:33 PM
Being we've been told to not touch our faces, if you're not wearing eye protection I think just a mask is useless.

FORD
05-09-2020, 04:46 PM
I was actually shocked to see how many people were not wearing masks last time I was at the grocery store. At least they were all keeping their "social distance" from each other.

As far as eye protection goes... I'm usually wearing sunglasses when I'm out running around. The would at least keep the airborne buggers from floating head on into my eyes, though I guess there's still the slight risk of them sneaking in from the sides. Oh well, it's not like I'm gonna put hand sanitzer or alcohol wipes in my eyes, so not much more I can do about that. :cool1:

Nickdfresh
05-09-2020, 05:29 PM
Most everyone here has a mask on, there is the occasional asshole but places like Target and Walmart are pretty strict. Local stores like Tops and Wegmans are rationaling meat and Target only allows 1 pkg. of toilet paper per customer...

twonabomber
05-09-2020, 05:43 PM
I went to the store this morning. Had a bandana in my jacket pocket. Did not wear it.

All these people crying about masks are the same people bringing all their fucking kids to the store and not watching them, they're clogging up the aisles. Again, it's probably selfish of me to say so, but I like to shop in the middle of the night while there is no one else in the store. I can get in and out with minimal interaction and in less time than I can now. But since people can't be trusted with toilet paper, I gotta go during the day with everyone else.

People are driving worse, too. Like 7 MPH under the speed limit during the day when it's not raining or snowing. Fucking stay home if you're scared!

I do not believe we are all in this together. I refuse to believe the media has our best intentions in mind. I am LOL at everyone who has been anti-government the last three years and now decides that the government is our savior.

I'm not saying I am rushing out to go shopping or to the bar when things get going again. Most of the time I am somewhere during off hours when there aren't many people around, and plan on staying that way.

Plain Dealer had an article about gyms and fitness centers re-opening. Or more like not re-opening, seems our governor is okay with the next health crises being diabetes and obesity. The comments on the article just amaze me. "OMG stay inside!" "You don't need to go to a gym!" "Buy some weights and exercise at home!" The article states:

Yet, once gyms do reopen, they may face an uphill battle. A recent survey of 1,005 adults conducted by the Washington Post showed that 78 percent of Americans do not support the reopening of health clubs. The survey was conducted between April 28 and May 3.

I'm convinced that 78% is obese and aren't going to the gym anyways.

I did not lose 40 pounds just to have our 120 year old governor tell me I gotta sit inside and get fat again. Fuck that. I'm going outside.

I've about fucking had it with this whole thing.

Nickdfresh
05-09-2020, 08:46 PM
I'm waiting for a cycling trainer I ordered from Amazon. It sounds like we're closed for another month 'til the 6th at least..

twonabomber
05-09-2020, 09:31 PM
I have my old mountain bike on the trainer downstairs. It's loud with the knobby tire but I have the PA system down there too :D

https://scontent-ort2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/90338966_10215918436457397_4261009038289928192_o.j pg?_nc_cat=100&_nc_sid=110474&_nc_ohc=vMVE1dfhHekAX93slBj&_nc_ht=scontent-ort2-1.xx&oh=d74e123bed1526301d2f94b7bcf28de1&oe=5EDDFA65

Nickdfresh
05-09-2020, 09:36 PM
I got slicks on mine, I have a set of rollers, but those are fucking hardcore. Like you have to balance and even with no tension there's a fair amount of resistance, too old for that falling shit...

twonabomber
05-09-2020, 10:02 PM
I had road tires on that bike for the longest time but when I got the Raleigh from my stepfather a couple years ago I went back to knobbies on the mountain bike.

ZahZoo
05-10-2020, 08:19 AM
Gyms and fitness centers is a tough one... keeping up your health/weight is a great thing. The challenge though is sanitizing the equipment and then there's groups of people with high respiratory activity all in an enclosed space huffin and puffin along... One asymptomatic person with a high contagion load has a heavy workout and the whole building gets a massive exposure.

twonabomber
05-10-2020, 08:59 AM
I go to the gym at midnight and I'm the only one there. Cleaning crew might be in.

It's usually empty between 11:30 pm and 3:30 am. Older guy shows up around 3 am to use the treadmill, then some other people filter in but by then I'm just about ready to leave.

There are times I pull into the parking lot at the grocery store, see how crowded it is, and say "ugh" and leave. I get skeeved out on my own, I don't need the government to do it for me.

twonabomber
05-10-2020, 09:28 AM
Friend of mine from the old 'hood is in Kuwait. She and her husband were long time military and are now contractors. They've had a 4 pm to 8 am curfew for around 75 days and she says they are now on full lockdown. Grocery shopping will be allowed once a week (maybe by appointment, I didn't see details on that) and they're allowed to walk in the neighborhood for two hours every evening.

She says, "Unfortunately, Kuwait has found out a few things during this: 1. It isn’t safe to have 10 people living in a 1 bedroom apartment. And 2. Shouldn’t expect their people to follow self quarantine. Or curfews. Expats are pretty much following rules."

Which makes me think of the Mexican population in my hometown...sometimes 15 living in a small house. Kind of surprised that the county health department only reports between 41 and 50 cases in our shared zip code.

Nickdfresh
05-10-2020, 11:09 AM
I go to the gym at midnight and I'm the only one there. Cleaning crew might be in.

It's usually empty between 11:30 pm and 3:30 am. Older guy shows up around 3 am to use the treadmill, then some other people filter in but by then I'm just about ready to leave.

There are times I pull into the parking lot at the grocery store, see how crowded it is, and say "ugh" and leave. I get skeeved out on my own, I don't need the government to do it for me.

You may not but a lot of do. In any case, any gym I've ever gone too sees a significant drop in summer...

Seshmeister
05-10-2020, 09:01 PM

You also don't need the government to tell you not to drive when you are drunk unfortunately we need the government to try and stop those that will in case they kill us.

twonabomber
05-10-2020, 10:29 PM
Yeah, and the state does a shit job of protecting us from drunk drivers.

I could go on...

twonabomber
05-12-2020, 02:42 AM
Now the tattoo shops are arguing that if hair salons and barbers can open, they should be able to open. Governor says day cares can't open yet, a plan was to be announced yesterday but has been delayed.

Nickdfresh
05-12-2020, 06:47 AM
Pretty close to the same here, with partial re-openings likely by early next week...

Nickdfresh
05-12-2020, 06:40 PM
Some parts of NY that are more open and with lower population densities, are set to open Friday, May 15. The Finger-Lakes region, the Southern Tier, and Upstate. At least another two weeks for here I am guessing...

ZahZoo
05-13-2020, 08:15 AM
Last week we had state parks and barber/hair salons open. This week it's restaurants and large retail/malls with limited capacity. Next week pools...

Jérôme Frenchise
05-13-2020, 09:45 AM
Here - in Frogland -, mainly due to economical necessity, all businesses except restaurants have re-opened since last Monday.
Primary schools are re-opening this week, and secondary schools will next week.
The restart for high schools has been postponed to June... just before summer holidays.
I won't describe everything in detail, but after a 2-month quarantine, a few steps forward feels good, though many people fear a resurgence of the virus, which would be dreadful and stupid, after all the effort put into keeping it from spreading.

FORD
05-13-2020, 07:47 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_R_pijnJiWw

ZahZoo
05-14-2020, 08:04 AM
My county is at zero active, confirmed cases and holding with all the surrounding counties the same or 1-2 known cases with no new positives in over a week or more.

It's very encouraging but I find myself concerned that we still have no preventative vaccine, no definitive proven treatment strategy and just optimistic possibilities in the pipeline.

The flatten the curve to buy us time has done so from a treatment perspective... but I just don't see people willing to accept the changes necessary to prevent another and potentially worse outbreak from popping back up.

I support the hell out of anyone's right to make choices... but I've grown tired of assholes making their bold stands for freedom without any considerations for their own personal responsibilities in contributing to resolving the crisis surrounding them.

ZahZoo
05-17-2020, 08:14 AM
Starting to see supply chain disruptions from all this... my electric power washer died. Couldn't find a replacement locally. Ordered one on-line at Walmart... order sat in preparing shipment for 7 days, cancelled and ordered the same from Amazon which took 3 days to process but is in transit now.

We also decided to buy a freezer after purchasing a half a beef from a local rancher... nobody has freezers in stock except $4000 commercial units. Ended up deciding to buy a new refrigerator instead and that took some searching and finally found an available one via Home Depot, but had to order it and it's shipping from Dallas and won't be here until 1st week in June. Thankfully the steer won't be ready to become dinner until mid July...

Nickdfresh
05-17-2020, 10:32 AM
I can't even get my fucking indoor cycling trainer delivered, it's like someone at UPS shoved it up their ass or something!

Nickdfresh
05-17-2020, 04:22 PM

Full on strip club reopens, we know where Nitrous has been :) :

Pole dancing and hand sanitizer: Wyoming strip club reopens with 'masks on, clothes off' party
Trevor Hughes, USA TODAY
May 17, 2020, 1:42 PM EDT
CHEYENNE, Wyo. – Cleo counts out crumpled dollars, straightening the bills as she stacks them neatly on her bare leg.

“Twenty-two dollars,” the 23-year-old exclaims. “Not too bad!”

All around her, more than a dozen nearly naked women are dancing on the stage and swinging from a brass pole as music thumps and customers shower the dancers with money. It's like any other night at this rural strip club on the Colorado-Wyoming border, with one notable exception: While the dancers are all wearing barely-there outfits, every one of them is wearing a mask.

Some are bandannas. Some are surgical masks. One looks as if it was swiped from a construction site. They're a seemingly odd accessory for women wearing a mix of g-strings, bikinis and lingerie.

Boston, a dancer at The Den strip club in Cheyenne, Wyoming, tries on a new mask during the club's reopening Friday night. The club hosted a "masks on, clothes off" party to celebrate.

But this is the time of coronavirus, and following state rules, the women are wearing them as they feel out their first night back in business. For Cleo, that $22 is the first income she has earned in weeks. And she's ready to make more, even if it brings her far closer to customers than the state's 6-foot-social distancing guidelines.

"I feel like my makeup is sweating off under this thing," she adds from behind her bandanna, then looks up as the music changes. "Oh, that's my song. Gotta go."

Cleo, who didn't want her legal name used because of potential harassment, clambers up onto the stage and begins spinning around the pole, her 5-inch-high shoes banging together as she bends backward to rest both her feet and head on the floor to a scattering of cheers and whoops.

Welcome to The Den, one of the first strip clubs in the country to reopen amid the coronavirus pandemic. To celebrate its grand reopening, the club threw a “masks on, clothes off" party Friday night.

Dancers at The Den strip club in Cheyenne, Wyoming, pose for a photo in their masks during the club's reopening Friday night. The club hosted a "masks on, clothes off" party to celebrate.

Because Wyoming has had so few coronavirus cases, state health officials on Friday allowed most businesses to reopen, including sit-down restaurants and bars, which is how The Den is licensed. Likely due to its large size and small population, Wyoming has had few coronavirus cases. Officials say they've confirmed just 541 cases, with another 175 listed as probable, and only seven deaths.

“I’m super-excited. I’m a little nervous because the virus is still out there, but I’m glad to be able to go to work, because a lot of people can’t yet,” says dancer Doris Craig, 20, between performances. “The stimulus money was nice, but that’s going to run out, and I don’t like to feel like I’m dependent on the government.”

While other bars and restaurants across the country are slowly reopening with strict distancing and safety protocols, establishments across Wyoming are taking a looser approach based largely on the widespread sentiment here that the coronavirus is mostly an urban illness affecting elderly people in nursing homes. At The Den, hand sanitizer is everywhere, but dancers are also touching patrons and exchanging cash, which can carry the virus.

The Den owner Kim Chavez says she doesn't feel completely secure in reopening, but she felt she had no choice but to open alongside other bars in Cheyenne, some of which started serving at 9 a.m. The Den shut down just after Easter, and performers, who are all legally considered independent contractors, went without pay until they began working again Friday night. Several said they applied for unemployment, but most said they scraped by on savings and the generosity of friends and family. Federal stimulus programs, including the Small Business Administration's Paycheck Protection Program, specifically bar adult-oriented businesses and performers from applying for help.

“We knew that once our doors closed, we were screwed until we could reopen,” Chavez said. “If I’d gotten the PPP I might not have opened today. This is a risk we’re taking.”

Echo, a worker at The Den strip club in Cheyenne, Wyoming, watches performers onstage during the club's reopening Friday night. The club hosted a "masks on, clothes off" party to celebrate.

As the crowd builds, Chavez walks the club’s rooms, restocking hand sanitizer and greeting longtime customers. She and her husband, a former police officer, have owned the club for 15 years, and they say they've worked hard to create a welcoming environment for dancers and patrons alike.

For their part, the dancers said they missed the money – they can earn more than $1,000 on a good night – but also the sense of camaraderie they share. The Den has about 25 dancers on rotation.

After running a thick stack of bills through a counting machine, Chavez squirts sanitizer onto her hands and looks over the crowd.

“That was the hardest part about being shut: worrying about the girls,” Chavez said. “It was heartbreaking because you know every girl’s story.”

It's a pattern repeated for thousands of performers across the country, said Elizabeth Thomas, president of the International Entertainment Adult Union. Thomas said stripping or dancing is a fallback way for many women to pay the bills when other jobs are scarce, so they were hit harder when those jobs vanished.

More than 36.5 million Americans have applied for unemployment since the pandemic began and businesses across the country closed and laid off workers. The federal government doesn't specifically track the number of people working in the adult entertainment industry.
https://s.yimg.com/ny/api/res/1.2/g7rW6wPRZfdOWRtZlufuAA--/YXBwaWQ9aGlnaGxhbmRlcjt3PTcwNTtoPTY0NC4zMjQ1NDAzNj c3MDU4/https://media.zenfs.com/en-us/usa_today_news_641/ea0b78e3180a8e559770d98318b066f7
Cleo, a dancer at The Den strip club in Cheyenne, Wyoming, works the pole while wearing a mask during the club's reopening Friday night. The club hosted a "masks on, clothes off" party to celebrate.

In addition to the loss of income, Thomas said, many dancers she has talked to have desperately missed the attention they get when working. They are, after all, performers.
https://s.yimg.com/ny/api/res/1.2/ajwiGhdDmgVLkOQoYEzm4A--/YXBwaWQ9aGlnaGxhbmRlcjt3PTcwNTtoPTg0NC4xNTY1Njg4Nz c1NTE-/https://media.zenfs.com/en-us/usa_today_news_641/24b0dbdd2683f0f3ec038f16a3402edf
"It's been very, very difficult. Most of us don't have anything else to fall back on," Thomas said. "You wonder why the food banks are so busy? There's no way for these girls to pay their rent."

Several of The Den's dancers said they tried to earn money performing online, but that's a surprisingly hard niche to break into, Thomas said, because there's already so much free content, and because online performers who've spent years building their followings garner most of the views.

"You're competing with millions of other girls," she said. "And it's harder to do – you have to talk, text and be a pretzel."

As The Den's parking lot fills with pickups and SUVs, the mostly male crowd inside grows. Chavez says the crowd is a mix of regulars and unfamiliar faces. Oil and gas companies have large operations in the area, and many of the men look as if they've come in from the oilfields for the night.
https://s.yimg.com/ny/api/res/1.2/YsY7hCyKOeDu2yrk2qM76Q--/YXBwaWQ9aGlnaGxhbmRlcjt3PTcwNTtoPTU2Ny42NjA4MjM1ND g4Njcz/https://media.zenfs.com/en-us/usa_today_news_641/67982f81060fe2f8fa1643ddcca1a084
None of them are wearing masks, and they're clearly looking for a much smaller social distance than Americans have become accustomed to as dancers wrap their legs around them from the stage. Thomas, the union president, said she's worried that customers won't feel safe returning to clubs, although The Den was about as busy as usual for a Friday night, Chavez says.

https://s.yimg.com/ny/api/res/1.2/kDnmrSwtVGCrH2TdRM26XA--/YXBwaWQ9aGlnaGxhbmRlcjt3PTcwNTtoPTgzNC4xMjk1MDE1NT AyMDI3/https://media.zenfs.com/en-us/usa_today_news_641/e5c790231bf89d76ba992633d451a100
Cleo, a dancer at The Den strip club in Cheyenne, Wyoming, counts her tips after a performance while wearing a mask during the club's reopening Friday night. The club hosted a "masks on, clothes off" party to celebrate.
Munching on a slice of freshly delivered Domino's pepperoni pizza, with her white bandanna temporarily hanging around her neck, dancer Breauna Grover says during a break that she's not worried about getting sick. At 24 years old, the self-described conspiracy theorist says she believes the virus poses little danger. Besides, she says, she missed the customers and dancers to whom she has became close over the past two years.

"That's why it's so great: People have to pay attention to you because you're naked," she says with a laugh.

YAHOO (https://www.yahoo.com/news/pole-dancing-hand-sanitizer-wyoming-125908187.html)

Nickdfresh
05-18-2020, 01:12 PM
Western New York will begin limited, Phase-I reopening tomorrow, meaning "non-essential" retail can reopen but with curbside delivery, most manufacturing, construction, and wholsale trading can resume. Phase II is two weeks away with a general reopening of hair salons and such and in-store retail. Phase-III will be dine-in restaurant and pub service...

Nitro Express
05-18-2020, 06:19 PM
Starting to see supply chain disruptions from all this... my electric power washer died. Couldn't find a replacement locally. Ordered one on-line at Walmart... order sat in preparing shipment for 7 days, cancelled and ordered the same from Amazon which took 3 days to process but is in transit now.

We also decided to buy a freezer after purchasing a half a beef from a local rancher... nobody has freezers in stock except $4000 commercial units. Ended up deciding to buy a new refrigerator instead and that took some searching and finally found an available one via Home Depot, but had to order it and it's shipping from Dallas and won't be here until 1st week in June. Thankfully the steer won't be ready to become dinner until mid July...

Anything dealing with food storage or growing food is out of stock. Good luck buying a roto tiller right now. I got a few head of black angus down in Utah. They will be bringing them up here to graze them over the summer. You get a premium for free range beef.

Nitro Express
05-18-2020, 06:28 PM
My county is at zero active, confirmed cases and holding with all the surrounding counties the same or 1-2 known cases with no new positives in over a week or more.

It's very encouraging but I find myself concerned that we still have no preventative vaccine, no definitive proven treatment strategy and just optimistic possibilities in the pipeline.

The flatten the curve to buy us time has done so from a treatment perspective... but I just don't see people willing to accept the changes necessary to prevent another and potentially worse outbreak from popping back up.

I support the hell out of anyone's right to make choices... but I've grown tired of assholes making their bold stands for freedom without any considerations for their own personal responsibilities in contributing to resolving the crisis surrounding them.

You can’t keep people locked up. Especially when their livelihood is being ruined. If you are at high risk due to age or health issues you have to be extra careful but people with a healthy immune system should be able to keep things running taking precautions. COVID19 is not deadly. It’s the secondary infection that goes into pneumonia that is. If you get on a Z-Pack early enough it usually prevents the pneumonia from setting in. The thing is the whole thing became politicized and some people were out to make a lot of money. The whole thing became a pooch screw as a result.

The reality is everyone is going to seek their own interest for good or bad in such a situation.

ZahZoo
05-28-2020, 09:46 AM
Pretty amazed at the crowds this Memorial weekend drew here in this tourist community... lots of out of state plates filled the parking lots around the lake. Tons of boats out... which we took advantage of too. It will be interesting to see if we have any measurable spikes in a week or two locally. We were at 0 active cases for about a week... then one new active positive a week ago and holding in our county.

twonabomber
05-28-2020, 04:50 PM
I went down to the beach Sunday to catch the sunset. Pretty good crowd for that time of day.

Our park system announced there will be no lifeguards, no concessions, and no kayak or paddle board rentals until they can find a way to do those things safely. They also said bring your own water, the fountains and showers may not be turned on. Bathrooms are open though.

With the lake level high again this year there isn't a lot of beach between the water and the parking lot. Could fill up quick.

Seshmeister
05-28-2020, 08:03 PM
I think most stuff outside is pretty safe as long as you are sensible and avoid crowds.

ZahZoo
05-29-2020, 06:46 AM
With all the knotheads feeling couped up and wanting to get out... the challenge is avoiding crowds. Plus it appears a lot of people just don't have a grasp on the concept of social distancing... even when they mark the space on floors to give you a flippin clue...

Seshmeister
05-29-2020, 11:19 AM
In a fucked up way I kind of think it's encouraging. If this is how bad the virus is with all these idiots maybe it's not that impossible to avoid catching it. Routinely in bar restrooms before this kicked off I would put hand washing at way under 50% of guys.

Nitro Express
05-29-2020, 03:42 PM
Pretty amazed at the crowds this Memorial weekend drew here in this tourist community... lots of out of state plates filled the parking lots around the lake. Tons of boats out... which we took advantage of too. It will be interesting to see if we have any measurable spikes in a week or two locally. We were at 0 active cases for about a week... then one new active positive a week ago and holding in our county.

Amazed? You can’ t keep people cooped up forever. Viruses are killed by sun and heat. People are better off going outside plus we need to be exposed to stuff to keep our immune systems strong. You don’t build much of an immune system living in a bubble.

It’s time to get back to normal life and maybe there will be a bump in cases but we have had flu seasons where 80,000 have died and we never shut down or even talked about it much.

twonabomber
05-29-2020, 05:41 PM
There was an article about the fall wave on CNN the other day, and it was full of "might," "could," and "would," and I'm thinking so because of that, I'm supposed to stay home?

I'm going back to the gym later. They've got a 25 person capacity posted and a person staffing the door to make sure they don't go over...I'll go in the middle of the night like I always do. I've been at 180 for a couple weeks. I'm sure I lost a little muscle weight but I am ready to get started again.

Still under 300 cases here in the county and up to 12 deaths. I have been to my mom's a couple times but we were mostly doing stuff outside.

Now the state is saying there were cases mid-January, including one here on January 15. I was sick the last two weeks of January, symptoms line up, maybe I had it? If I can get the antibody test I'll do it.

Nitro Express
05-29-2020, 08:56 PM
There was an article about the fall wave on CNN the other day, and it was full of "might," "could," and "would," and I'm thinking so because of that, I'm supposed to stay home?

I'm going back to the gym later. They've got a 25 person capacity posted and a person staffing the door to make sure they don't go over...I'll go in the middle of the night like I always do. I've been at 180 for a couple weeks. I'm sure I lost a little muscle weight but I am ready to get started again.

Still under 300 cases here in the county and up to 12 deaths. I have been to my mom's a couple times but we were mostly doing stuff outside.

Now the state is saying there were cases mid-January, including one here on January 15. I was sick the last two weeks of January, symptoms line up, maybe I had it? If I can get the antibody test I'll do it.

There are so many variables that nobody knows but you can’t live in a bubble forever. You have people trying to make money off this. You have political motives. Some people want to keep the lockdowns going because it benefits them. If you are Bill Gates you are seeing a 20:1 profit margin on a vaccine. Not everyone wants the problem to go away quickly because it’s an opportunity for them to get gain. Never let a crisis go to waste.

Nickdfresh
05-29-2020, 09:42 PM
There are so many variables that nobody knows but you can’t live in a bubble forever. You have people trying to make money off this. You have political motives.

You mean like people invested in drug companies that make things like hydroxychloroquine?

Some people want to keep the lockdowns going because it benefits them.

For fuck! Like who? Netflix?

If you are Bill Gates you are seeing a 20:1 profit margin on a vaccine. Not everyone wants the problem to go away quickly because it’s an opportunity for them to get gain. Never let a crisis go to waste.

Gates will have little to do with any vaccine nor the profits from it. Dumbass.

Nickdfresh
05-29-2020, 09:48 PM
Amazed? You can’ t keep people cooped up forever. Viruses are killed by sun and heat. People are better off going outside plus we need to be exposed to stuff to keep our immune systems strong. You don’t build much of an immune system living in a bubble.

They're killed by UV and humidity. But Covid-19 has spread in hot climates like Australia. I agree that we have to build "herd immunity" and all that, and yes we need to reopen. That doesn't mean being fucking retarded about it like covering up Corona cases and ditching social distancing and pretending nothing has happened...

It’s time to get back to normal life and maybe there will be a bump in cases but we have had flu seasons where 80,000 have died and we never shut down or even talked about it much.

Fucking bullshit! There are no recent flu seasons with near that, and that's over the course of a year. Over 100,000 have died in three fucking months! In Korea we had about 38,000 war dead, Vietnam about 58,000. For fuck, if this were a terrorist campaign or a war do you think idiots would be out in the streets "protesting" the tactics against the enemy?

Nickdfresh
05-29-2020, 09:52 PM
You want a road-map of fucking mindless opening for the economy? Look at what has happened at the meat packing plants! You're just gonna have waves of this shit rolling through offices/factories/whatever if we don't have testing and plans to react in place...

Nitro Express
05-30-2020, 04:02 AM
You mean like people invested in drug companies that make things like hydroxychloroquine?

For fuck! Like who? Netflix?

Gates will have little to do with any vaccine nor the profits from it. Dumbass.

The patent ran out on hydroxychloroquine. It’s a cheap drug mostly manufactured in India. It’s widely used in places where malaria is a problem.

Nitro Express
05-30-2020, 04:13 AM
https://www.cnbc.com/2019/01/23/bill-gates-turns-10-billion-into-200-billion-worth-of-economic-benefit.html

Oh there’s lots of people hoping to score big $$$$ with a COVID19 vaccine. Bill is just one of them. With big pharma being one of the largest advertisers in the broadcast media they can sell a vaccine or an expensive medicine as the only cure and discredit something that they won’t make money on.

Who benefits from a shut down and a bad economy? The Democrat Party. Anyways places are opening up. People will quarantine for a few weeks but not for a few months. That’s the reality. We had the Hong Kong Flu in 1969. We didn’t shut everything down then.

You aren’t going to be able to track and test people without violating their constitutional rights. If you really want to set things off try that one. People are tired of this shit and they are going to go out and have fun this summer. That’s the reality.

ZahZoo
05-30-2020, 10:36 AM
I hear a lot of people making claims to "their constitutional rights" but am finding a lot of people are just creatively making shit up to justify whatever they want to do... The constitution doesn't work that way... many of the most vocal are misinformed.

Your freedom of movement, gathering and privacy is not unlimited. It's heavily regulated, licensed and quite restricted in so many ways. Certainly you can refuse to be tested or tracked... that's your right. But with that, it can come with you being restricted from access to public and private spaces/property, license to operate a vehicle, attend public schools, license to operate in hundreds of trades/jobs... the list can go on and on... All of a sudden your "constitutional rights" while limitless, become impossible for you to be a part of what most consider normal life.

You don't a right to act irresponsibly... No one has the constitutional right to infect others with a virus.

Terry
05-30-2020, 12:35 PM
Yeah, but sadly you have a lot of Americans for whom part of being an American means doing what you want to do and taking your chances...that life's a gamble, and so be it.

And it's useless to use logic and science when countering this mindset, even if the result ends up being infecting others with viruses: too many people just flat-out don't really give a shit about anybody else in a meaningful way, certainly not nearly as much as themselves and their own wants/desires (as opposed to needs)...folks will do useless things like tweet out thoughts and prayers, but actually changing their living habits in a meaningful way even though while it may be personally inconvenient it may save the lives of other Americans those making the 'sacrifice' will never meet?

Nah. Too much fucking work to actually DO that, with too little in terms of a tangible result. Publicly shaming such folks tends not to work, either. Tell 'em that their failure to change their living habits may result in, say, their being asymptomatic yet infecting others and killing them, these folks will say "whatever, fuck 'em: only the strong survive."

Laws, rules, regulations, licensing and constitutional rights are great, in theory. Useless in practice unless people follow them and there are ample people to enforce them: if people say 'fuck it' then it's fucked.

Obviously, I for one hope we don't have wave after wave of this virus because - since we don't have a vaccine - as a species we don't have uniformity of consensus in terms of social distancing and the like. Having said that, we probably will.