X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dave's Dradle
    Roadie
    • Mar 2004

Diamond Dave Review

Was looking through Allmusic.com and they updated Dave's page with a review of Diamond Dave. Gave it three out of five stars, not too bad for a cover album.

Let's face it; David Lee Roth was the most exciting and entertaining singer to ever front Van Halen. And although his solo albums have not all been winners, at least he's been known to take chances and try new approaches with rock music (such as the entirely sung-in-Spanish Sonrisa Salvaje, the synth pop-ish Skyscraper, the Nile Rodgers-produced Your Filthy Little Mouth, etc.). For his 2003 release Diamond Dave, Roth uses the same approach he and his then-comrades in Van Halen followed on 1982's Diver Down — an album consisting primarily of cover songs, with a few originals sprinkled in. As expected, the covers that work the best are the ones that aren't that well known, including the lead-off single "Shoo Bop" (a cover of Steve Miller's "Shu Ba Da Du Ma Ma Ma Ma") and a big band reading of a tune Van Halen covered way back when, "Ice Cream Man," while a few of the better-known songs (especially Jimi Hendrix's "If 6 Was 9") don't fare as well. Of course, Diamond Dave is no Fair Warning. But it's a hell of a whole lot more listenable than anything Van Halen has issued in ages (especially when compared to the 1998 atrocity Van Halen III). — Greg Prato
  • 5150Clown
    Head Fluffer
    • Mar 2004

Hahahahaha...interesting review. Actually, I've sampled both records and I have to say that I did favor Dave's better. VHIII is like getting a tooth pulled out without anesthesia.

Good going Dave.....now make a good record for a change!!!
    "If Eddie & Dave would put asside their egos, Aerosmith would have to give up their tittle of the 'Greatest American Rock Band'"

Comment

• Dave's Dradle
      Roadie
      • Mar 2004

I agree with you Clown, I liked Diamond Dave but was pretty disappointed that his first album in five years was a cover album. Hope his next original album kicks ass, and hopefully he releases before 2008!

Comment

• Halen High
        Commando
        • Jul 2004

I've read several great reviews for Diamond Dave. I thought the critics would be hard on it because of all the covers, but not so.

The album works because Dave stamps his own style on the songs. It's an interesting, colourful release that will probably be more appreciated in years to come.

Would love another 'DLR Band' though! That album rocked like vintage VH and managed to rescue us from the misery of VH3.

Comment

• ELVIS
          Banned
          • Dec 2003

Ice Cream Man 2 sucks dick!

Comment

• Panamark
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • Jan 2004

Bring on DLRBand2 !
            BABY PANA 2 IS Coming !! All across the land, let the love and beer flow !
            Love ya Mary Frances!

Comment

• turboblues

The DLR band was great songwise but lacked soundwise. Too bad!Personally, I don't like the covers album that much. I'm into more guitar oriented Dave releases. So yes, bring on DLR band part II, but with a bigger budget recording!

Comment

• Foozwah
                Roadie
                • Jan 2004

Sometimes I feel like I'm almost alone in liking the Diamond Dave album as much as I do. Sure, I'd like an album of new, all-original Dave material as much as most, but when I'm heading somewhere on a road trip and in a pretty cruisy mood, it tends to find itself in the CD player on a pretty regular basis.

Comment

• Dave's Dradle
                  Roadie
                  • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Foozwah
                  Sometimes I feel like I'm almost alone in liking the Diamond Dave album as much as I do. Sure, I'd like an album of new, all-original Dave material as much as most, but when I'm heading somewhere on a road trip and in a pretty cruisy mood, it tends to find itself in the CD player on a pretty regular basis.
                  You are not alone, I like it alot. I just wish he would put out some original music. He hasn't written an original song since 1998, atleast one that has been released. Thug Pop doesn't count, he wrote and recorded that during the DLR Band sessions.

Comment

• horty07
                    Head Fluffer
                    • Jun 2004

I also like it, but we need Dave to put out a solid rock album.

Comment

• evhfan
                      Banned
                      • Jul 2004

Originally posted by horty07
                      I also like it, but we need Dave to put out a solid rock album.
                      don't you fuckin' guys get it?

DLR put out a covers album because he can't write songs!!

ahahahahahahahhaaha

Comment

• Dave's Dradle
                        Roadie
                        • Mar 2004

I don't understand how anyone can think that Dave didn't write a large percentage of the VH songs. Of course Ed was the majority song writer as he came up with the riffs. But Dave did write the lyrics, help with the song struture and write some of the melodies. If their is one thing besides all others that separates Van Halen from Van Hagar is lack of melody. Some of their songs have it, but a lot don't. What made VH unique was that they could be hard rock and have great melody. Not many bands can pull that off, and Van Hagar is one of the ones that can't.

You can say that Dave sucks, he can't sing and that he looks like the heavy metal version of Liberace. But saying that the man can't write a song is just flat out wrong. He wrote a few gems on DLR Band: Black Sand, Goin' Places, Weekend with the Babysitter. I wish he would write and release more because he has a talent for lyrics and I like his voice on album.

Okay, I'm done.

Comment

Working...