PDA

View Full Version : 'Frugal Gourmet' Chef Jeff Smith Dies

Ally_Kat
07-09-2004, 06:48 PM
'Frugal Gourmet' Chef Jeff Smith Dies

http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20040709/capt.se10107092146.obit_smith_se101.jpg

SEATTLE - Jeff Smith, a white-bearded minister who became public television's popular "Frugal Gourmet" before a sex scandal ruined his career, has died, his business manager said Friday. He was 65.

Smith died in his sleep Wednesday, Jim Paddleford said. He had long suffered from heart disease and had a valve replaced in 1981.

In the 1960s, Smith, a United Methodist minister, began teaching a course at the University of Puget Sound in Tacoma titled "Food as Sacrament and Celebration."

Eventually he got his own program on the local PBS affiliate — "Cooking Fish Creatively" — and his career took off with an appearance on Phil Donahue's talk show.

"The Frugal Gourmet" became the nation's most-watched cooking show, and a series of accompanying cookbooks broke sales records for the category.

But in 1997, seven men filed a lawsuit alleging they had been sexually abused by Smith as youths. Six said the abuse occurred while they worked for him at the Chaplain's Pantry, a restaurant he operated in Tacoma in the 1970s. The seventh alleged Smith abused him after picking him up as a hitchhiker in 1992.

Smith was soon off the air.

Smith denied the allegations and was never charged with a crime. He and his insurance companies paid an undisclosed sum to settle the lawsuit.

Smith is survived by his wife, Patricia, and two sons.

Ally_Kat
07-09-2004, 06:49 PM
that kinda sucks. I used to watch his show when I was a wee little thing with my mother. I thought he was the coolest.

Yes, this proves my dorkyness

Satan
07-09-2004, 07:22 PM
Another pedophile comes to Hell...... Looks like the dragons are gonna get some ass tonight :D

Guitar Shark
07-09-2004, 07:51 PM
He was kind of a jerk in real life. I saw him a few times at Pike Place Market here in Seattle, zooming around on his wheelchair. He ran over this lady's foot once and when she complained, he gave her the finger.

guwapo_rocker
07-09-2004, 09:31 PM