PDA

View Full Version : Eddie Van Halen RIP

Pages : [1] 2

GreenBayLA
10-06-2020, 03:41 PM
Wolf tweeted the news...

https://www.tmz.com/2020/10/06/eddie-van-halen-dead-dies-cancer-65/

Eddie Van Halen -- the legendary guitarist and co-founder of Van Halen -- has died after a long battle with throat cancer ... TMZ has learned.

Sources directly connected to the rock star tell us ... he died at St. Johns Hospital in Santa Monica Tuesday. His wife, Janie was by his side, along with his son Wolfgang and Alex, Eddie's brother and drummer.

We're told in the last 72 hours Eddie's ongoing health battle went massively downhill -- doctors discovered his throat cancer had moved to his brain as well as other organs.

As you know, Eddie has been battling cancer for well over a decade. Our sources say he's been in and out of the hospital over the past year -- including last November for intestinal issues -- and recently underwent a round of chemo.

Last year we reported ... Eddie was flying between the U.S. and Germany for 5 years to get radiation treatment. Though he was a heavy smoker for years, he believes he developed the throat cancer from a metal guitar pick he used to frequently hold in his mouth more than 20 years ago. continues at TMZ.....

Time to open the vaults...

sonrisa salvaje
10-06-2020, 03:42 PM
TMZ is reporting it as well. My God, the dream is over.

SuchGoodPhotog
10-06-2020, 03:53 PM
tmz is reporting it as well. My god, the dream is over.

rip

ZahZoo
10-06-2020, 03:55 PM
Damn!! Sad news...

if6was9
10-06-2020, 03:57 PM
Omg

Hardrock69
10-06-2020, 03:57 PM
This

cannot

be

happening!!!!

:cry:

Rodent Salad
10-06-2020, 03:58 PM
Fuck. Saddened.

Phil theStalker
10-06-2020, 03:58 PM
:blah: doESSN'T SurPRiSE mmmE.. :guzzle::guzzle: :gulp::fighting0043:

So this is love
10-06-2020, 04:00 PM
oh shit no.

ZahZoo
From Wolfgang on Twitter...

"I can't believe I'm having to write this, but my father, Edward Lodewijk Van Halen, has lost his long and arduous battle with cancer this morning," Wolfgang Van Halen wrote. "He was the best father I could ever ask for. Every moment I've shared with him on and off stage was a gift."

"My heart is broken and I don't think I'll ever fully recover from this loss," he continued. "I love you so much, Pop."

High Life Man
"Edward...thank you."

Not surprised, but definitely sad. Thanks for all of the good times your music brought us.

SuchGoodPhotog
10-06-2020, 04:04 PM
NY post coverage: https://nypost.com/2020/10/06/eddie-van-halen-dead-at-65/

Phil theStalker
:pray::pray:diD He HaVE CoViD?/? DiD hE DiE aFF CoViD?/! Aff He HaD cOViD hE DiEd AfF CcOviD nOT DriNKiNG..:pray::pray::pray:

SuchGoodPhotog
also getting a headline on drudge: https://www.drudgereport.com/

private parts
10-06-2020, 04:08 PM
Knew this day was coming. Just had a long conversation with a client on mine regarding Eddie. On a skype call I noticed his striped frankenstrat in the background of his office.
Obviously we bonded. that was just 45 minutes ago.

R.I.P. Great One

bluemustard
10-06-2020, 04:10 PM
unreal..there ya go..boom..rest in peace maestro...blown away by this

private parts
10-06-2020, 04:13 PM
After he had gone silent for so long I had a feeling it was coming soon. thinking about it last week. this man was made to make music. if he wasn't making any something was wrong.

Funkmonkey
10-06-2020, 04:15 PM
Well, that's all folks. Rest in peace. What's next for 2020? Murder hornets? Godzilla? Moon crashing into the Earth? El Roth starts developing a little cough and hard of breathing? Spammy play a tribute to EVH?

SuchGoodPhotog
10-06-2020, 04:18 PM
i wonder if any posthumous music somehow gets released.

Funkmonkey
10-06-2020, 04:19 PM
I thought DLR was sitting on some John 5 material. Maybe that will get released in a few months.

vanhalendlrband
10-06-2020, 04:21 PM
Sad day. No more Van Halen. Im glad we were able to see Dave back at all considering whats happened. I just really can’t believe this at all despite his health history there was no indication he was anywhere near grave condition

SuchGoodPhotog
10-06-2020, 04:25 PM
a nice message and photo with sammy: https://twitter.com/sammyhagar/status/1313573065524047873

Hardrock69
10-06-2020, 04:27 PM
https://www.latimes.com/obituaries/story/2020-10-06/eddie-van-halen-guitar-dies-65

FORD
10-06-2020, 04:27 PM
Fuck cancer. Fuck 2020. Dave pretty much warned us this was coming, without violating Ed's privacy and saying too much. So I can't say I'm shocked, but still very sad to hear the news :(

Vinnie Velvet
10-06-2020, 04:41 PM
Devastating.

A big piece of my childhood, teenage years, adulthood .....gone.

I have no more words.

dragonrock
10-06-2020, 04:51 PM
Godspeed Eddie!

Condolences to his family, Wolfgang, Alex, Michael and Diamond Dave! Glad I saw you guys when you were still young and whole. Thanks for the good times you four. Another reason to hate 2020!

katina
10-06-2020, 04:58 PM
Unbelievable sad news, my biggest guitar hero, there will never be another like him, RIP Eddie.

Kristy
10-06-2020, 05:01 PM
From RollingSuck

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/eddie-van-halen-dead-200051/

“I don’t know shit about scales or music theory,” he told Rolling Stone in 1980. “I don’t want to be seen as the fastest guitar in town, ready and willing to gun down the competition. All I know is that rock & roll guitar, like blues guitar, should be melody, speed, and taste, but more important, it should have emotion. I just want my guitar playing to make people feel something: happy, sad, even horny.”

So this is love
10-06-2020, 05:10 PM
Thank you for the Playlist Eddie RIP

kentuckyklira
10-06-2020, 05:21 PM
RIP

Glad I saw him play live a few times. Insanity and disregard for his own health aside, 65 is too early!

:(

Kristy
10-06-2020, 05:24 PM
https://uploads.disquscdn.com/images/d17c411b9ac56b04f3aeb95c8e0ed234edf4128d8c84e469bf f199f2352febfc.jpg

Nickdfresh
10-06-2020, 05:28 PM
Well this year fucking sucks!!!

My condolences to all his loved ones and us fans...

Thanks for the memories, Ed. Good, bad, and indifferent you made life more interesting....

vandeleur
10-06-2020, 05:32 PM
Fuck

dragonrock
10-06-2020, 05:45 PM
While we're at it, condolences to Hagar and Cherone.17186

Fairwrning
10-06-2020, 05:50 PM
I think everybody knew VH was done..but still shocked Ed is gone. Turning 54 tomorrow and its worth being this old to say I saw the mighty Van Halen in its heyday.

Southpaw
10-06-2020, 06:05 PM
RIP EVH. Your music was always with me through this journey called life. Thanks ��

ppg960
10-06-2020, 06:09 PM
RIP Eddie. I logged into this site just now to read all the condolences. What a tragic loss. 2020 has been just brutal, fucking brutal

twonabomber
10-06-2020, 06:22 PM
If I may bring a little positivity to the thread...

NO HAGAR REUNION!

too soon?

Fairwrning
10-06-2020, 06:26 PM
If I may bring a little positivity to the thread...

NO HAGAR REUNION!

DOH!!!

https://youtu.be/-1aqyFwGu2Y

vandeleur
10-06-2020, 06:27 PM
Only at the army :D

Kristy
10-06-2020, 06:28 PM
You cretins seem to forget Eddie arrived in AMERICA as an immigrant and AMERICA became all the better because of it. Oh, and that he wasn't a limey or worse, Scottish or grew up or ever lived in Cleveland.

https://youtu.be/qlbXElWeYEY

Fairwrning
10-06-2020, 06:32 PM
" Dave or the grave"..hard to believe Edward Van Halen agreed....seriously..this fucking sucks

Redballjets88
10-06-2020, 06:37 PM
Poster from long long ago here.
Stopping into my favorite Van Halen hideaway for the first time in forever.

RIP Eddie. Going to miss having a world with you in it.

twonabomber
10-06-2020, 06:42 PM
Only at the army :D

I was just glad no one beat me to it!

Lqskdiver
10-06-2020, 07:09 PM
Well this brought me back. Didn't think this place was still active(ish)

RIP Ed. :killer:

Romeo Delight
10-06-2020, 07:38 PM
Might take a few days to sink in. All the best to the Family.

Viking
10-06-2020, 08:07 PM
Just............fuck cancer.

Cocksucker!

DLR Bridge
10-06-2020, 08:22 PM
Numb. This is never going to feel right.

Fairwrning
10-06-2020, 08:23 PM
So is Wolf's lp the last music Ed recorded? Did Ed play on it? Or is it possible the "Vault" could be released..if there is one..

Never was
10-06-2020, 08:26 PM
He turned hard past few days apparently. Very sad

Baby's On Fire
10-06-2020, 08:27 PM
Just............fuck cancer.

Cocksucker!

He died from choosing a lifetime of chain smoking and drinking and drugs. He wouldn't have died from cancer otherwise.

I'm stunned by this, but don't make it sound like he was randomly struck down.

He killed himself slowly.

WARF
10-06-2020, 08:40 PM
Rip king edward!!

DLR Bridge
10-06-2020, 08:41 PM
So is Wolf's lp the last music Ed recorded? Did Ed play on it? Or is it possible the "Vault" could be released..if there is one..

Wolf has stated that he plays everything on the record with no guest appearances.

ClubDave2
10-06-2020, 08:47 PM
Wow...I literally have not posted on this board in 16 years. I forgot my login info, so I made a backup account.

Really got knocked on my ass today hearing that EVH died. It compelled me to check back in on this place for some reason. I scrolled back and read some very cringey posts of mine from when I was 16, but at the same time it was comforting to relive a period of my life where I was sitting in my parents’ basement trying to riff VH songs on my dad’s Fender strat, and trying to express how much I wanted to see Dave rejoin the band.

So, so much time has passed since then. I got laid! I eventually got married! I have a kid now! The damn reunion actually happened!!!! What a time that must have been around here.

Thanks for all of the music and memories, Ed. Really doesn’t seem fair to lose a true genius from this world before you could even make it to 70. I will never forget watching you and Dave hug on stage in Philly, 10/1/07.

- ClubDave

Seshmeister
10-06-2020, 09:01 PM
Dave put this up on his FB just a few minutes ago and already a big response...

https://i.ibb.co/tJwH1qg/DLRFBPic.jpg (https://imgbb.com/)
facebook make new album (https://imgbb.com/)

Seshmeister
10-06-2020, 09:04 PM
From Va on the Roth Army Facebook page.

You knew the news could eventually come. Edward, ever the extremely private man, chose not to disclose it. However, there were enough legitimate news and music outlets reporting that his cancer had returned that we Van Halen fanatics had to start mentally preparing for 'that day'. It was very much, in my case anyway, like with the death of my parents. And still, when you first hear the news, it just hits you like the worst punch in the stomach you can imagine. I saw Wolf's post on Twitter with his Pop's picture today, and without seeing his text, I just knew this was it. Sadly, tragically, I was right.

Ten days after the death of original Van Halen bassist Mark Stone, and one day after the 5th anniversary of Van Halen's last concert with David Lee Roth at the Hollywood Bowl, Edward Lodewijk Van Halen, the greatest guitarist of all time, succumbed to cancer today.
The outpouring, not even three hours after his death was announced, is simply incredible. And not just from fans and musicians. If anyone wanted to stop the endless political chatter, well unfortunately, this did it. Everyone, and I mean EVERYONE, stopped what they were doing. Newscasters, politicians, sports anchors, everyone. I think I saw EVH's solo from LWAN posted on Twitter a thousand times this afternoon. Do a Google search for "Van Halen", and just watch it go on and on and on.
Sammy Hagar posted his condolences a while ago. I have not seen anything yet from Michael Anthony nor David Lee Roth. And sure, while they've said over the years they hated each other, Dave and Eddie loved each other like brothers. I sure hope that Dave is sitting in his Pasadena house as we speak drafting one fabulous eulogy for his fallen brother.

What can you possibly say about Eddie Van Halen? Where do you start?
You know what, I'm just gonna skip all of the guitar accolades. It's too easy, ya know? I guess the only thing I'd mention is that a lot of professional guitarists didn't focus on the virtuosity, but rather on his rhythm playing.
As a father of two adult sons myself, I always admired the obvious love and pride Edward showed to his son Wolfgang. Skip all the silly band politics and the reason behind why Wolf replaced Michael Anthony. It was so great to see Ed looking over at Wolf, even as a 16 year-old, perform so well as a bassist in Van Halen.

What was always incredible about Edward to me was that Eddie Van Halen, arguably one of the biggest rockstars of all-time, absolutely hated everything about being a rockstar! Hated doing interviews and hated the adulation. What he loved doing was simply playing the guitar. And while I'm sure he hated the travel while on tour, he loved playing for an audience.
Compared to many Van Halen fans, I 'only' saw Van Halen in concert 11 times, mostly due to being stationed overseas for about 10 years. There's no doubt had I been in the States the entire times, that number would be at least 50. There was nothing like seeing The Mighty Van Halen in concert.

I never met Edward, but I could have, and I'll regret that for the rest of my life. When the Smithsonian honored EVH in 2011, a fellow Van Halen fan offered me a ticket. I turned it down, thinking it would be just an interview. Of course, not only was I wrong, with Ed playing many of his famous licks, but he also took pictures with all the fans! I'm still kicking myself.
And finally, to Wolfgang. You have been extremely strong while your father has valiantly battled his disease. And even in the last couple months when your father was starting to lose his battle, you continued to chat with us as if nothing was wrong in your personal life. Perhaps it was your way of catharsis. But please know that we know the pain is deep right now. But I hope you realize what joy your father brought to the entire world for over 40 years.

My sincere condolences to the Alex, Wolfgang, Janie, Valerie and the entire Van Halen family.

Rest in Peace, King Edward.

https://scontent-lhr8-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/121071150_4391705067511374_8638215066124960879_n.j pg?_nc_cat=109&_nc_sid=730e14&_nc_ohc=Wv99H78G_PkAX_mKGLu&_nc_ht=scontent-lhr8-1.xx&oh=86bf895c919de9ec78603f8526eb8d0a&oe=5FA4A006

WARF
10-06-2020, 09:17 PM
https://scontent.fmia1-2.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/fr/cp0/e15/q65/121002702_10218547523939542_2571976117165038068_n. jpg?_nc_cat=105&_nc_sid=ca434c&efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9&_nc_ohc=UUqW3adQUeIAX_sQLth&_nc_ht=scontent.fmia1-2.fna&tp=14&oh=c658c4da6e7ae4cd072f58eb6ec9f1dd&oe=5FA1549C

Nickdfresh
10-06-2020, 09:22 PM
I was just glad no one beat me to it!

It's okay because I am going to start the "Can They Open the Fucking Vaults Already?" thread... :)

Poison
10-06-2020, 09:22 PM
I've been visiting this site intermittently for the last decade, though I rarely post -- but this moved me to come back and say something.

Eddie was a genius and a rare talent. He created a whole generation of musicians who set out to duplicate what he did. It’s quite remarkable that a guitarist from a Californian party band made metal mainstream. He changed music, and in so doing, changed the world. You can count on one hand the guitarists who had the impact he did. In fact, you can probably count on two fingers - Hendrix, then Eddie.

A terribly sad day. Long live EVH. Long live Van Halen.

Nickdfresh
10-06-2020, 09:23 PM
He died from choosing a lifetime of chain smoking and drinking and drugs. He wouldn't have died from cancer otherwise.

Haven't you claimed you get drunk, do coke, and bang hookers? FFS STFU!!

Nitro Express
10-06-2020, 09:30 PM

Ed’s father Jan died from the same thing at age 66. Ed died at age 65. Jan told both Ed and Al to stop the drinking and smoking so they wouldn’t suffer the fate of their father. Al to his credit quit drinking but kept smoking. Ed never did. I think the pressure of being Eddie Van Halen made it harder. Ed was more famous than his brother and wrote the music. Living up to your legend is not easy. Anyways not a wasted life. The man lived his dream. Most people don’t.

Nickdfresh
10-06-2020, 09:35 PM
Ed’s father Jan died from the same thing at age 66. Ed died at age 65. Jan told both Ed and Al to stop the drinking and smoking so they wouldn’t suffer the fate of their father. Al to his credit quit drinking but kept smoking. Ed never did. I think the pressure of being Eddie Van Halen made it harder. Ed was more famous than his brother and wrote the music. Living up to your legend is not easy. Anyways not a wasted life. The man lived his dream. Most people don’t.

Dude do you enjoy being wrong, misspeaking, or just being an asshole? Ed also "quit drinking but kept smoking", he died of fucking throat cancer...

FORD
10-06-2020, 09:45 PM
Not that it probably matters that much in the end, as the damage was likely done, but I believe Eddie technically "quit smoking". Switched to vaping, so still feeding the nicotine addiction ,but arguably with less carcinogens.

Nitro Express
10-06-2020, 09:46 PM
He kept drinking when Al quit. He drank off and on. He smoked and drank himself to death just like his dad did. He battled throat and oral cancer and was being treated for lung cancer. The cancer spread to his whole body. Both years of smoking and drinking shortened his life. That’s the truth of it.

Seshmeister
10-06-2020, 09:48 PM
The main risk from smoking decreases quite quickly 3 years plus for throat cancer, the booze damage takes longer.

All of this stuff is just a percentages game of course, I knew someone who died of the same cancer around the same age who never smoked in their life and hardly drank at all.

Nitro Express
10-06-2020, 09:54 PM
Not that it probably matters that much in the end, as the damage was likely done, but I believe Eddie technically "quit smoking". Switched to vaping, so still feeding the nicotine addiction ,but arguably with less carcinogens.

Yeah he switched to the juice but He struggled with the bottle off and on. But quitting the last few years of your life isn’t enough. The damage is done over years of doing it. Oh well. Ed’s driving was as legendary as his guitar playing. He’s lucky he didn’t die in a car accident and take other people with him. I guess the guy could slam through traffic like no other.

Nickdfresh
10-06-2020, 10:12 PM
He kept drinking when Al quit. He drank off and on. He smoked and drank himself to death just like his dad did. He battled throat and oral cancer and was being treated for lung cancer. The cancer spread to his whole body. Both years of smoking and drinking shortened his life. That’s the truth of it.

They shorten everyone's life to an extent, but throat cancer is not generally associated with alcohol abuse. Al quit early but probably out drank everyone in the band by a ratio of 5:1. In any case, the biggest risk factor was fucking everything in sight, and getting HPV. Tongue, then throat???? yeah, pussy...

TJMKID
10-06-2020, 10:32 PM
Fucking cried like a baby when I heard the news today.

ALL of the great memories in the past 35 years that happened in my life were when VH music was playing in the background. Too many to list here but y'all have the same kinds of memories.

Eddie wasn't perfect as a human being but he was damn perfect as the BADDEST MOTHERFUCKER TO PLAY the SIX STRINGS. I will literally murder anyone who disagrees with that FACT. Hendrix and Page are a distant 2nd place to him.

And YES --- Eddie and Alex were immigrants who personified the American Dream, and that dream is NOT for tax-dodging, draft-dodging pedophile criminal pieces of shit like Fuck-Face Trump!

RIP, King Edward. I will forever be indebted to how much you and Lord Roth affected my life in all the right ways!

TJMKID
10-06-2020, 10:41 PM
Also, I know this is not the right time to discuss this but --- does this mean we FINALLY get to see the enormous treasure trove of unreleased audio and film footage that's been stored at 5150 for over three decades and collecting dust ??

We all know EVH is the sole reason none of that stuff ever got released to the public, but now that he's gone I can't see Wolfie or Janie keeping it locked up forever. They will do the right thing and have it released, and most likely make a nice bit of coin from it, too.

I never bought into the bullshit stories about Noel Monk possessing all that film footage of the early concerts. We know Eddie had it all along. Let's hope Wolfie and Janie do the right thing.

alexpgrimes
10-06-2020, 10:50 PM
His music meant so much to me. I am devastated.

TJMKID
10-06-2020, 10:55 PM
I was kinda worried Dave was gonna be douchey and not say anything --- I was sobbing again when I saw this post on his IG page

Still blows my mind 40 years later that two dudes who grew up a couple miles apart in sleepy Pasadena would change the world in a big way and make it a happier place.

Few people possess that kind of influential power, but these two bad ass mofo's did.

Dave put this up on his FB just a few minutes ago and already a big response...

https://i.ibb.co/tJwH1qg/DLRFBPic.jpg (https://imgbb.com/)
facebook make new album (https://imgbb.com/)

Seshmeister
10-06-2020, 11:19 PM
https://scontent-lhr8-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/120798053_3730837503593916_5895882423576531098_n.j pg?_nc_cat=101&_nc_sid=825194&_nc_ohc=pMxKLzjL9oUAX-vwAiI&_nc_ht=scontent-lhr8-1.xx&oh=96e79c89be6e145481671b867f3a618b&oe=5FA0DD79

FORD
10-06-2020, 11:22 PM
For anybody who might have missed this back in 2017... or wants to see it again.....

https://youtu.be/yb26D8bBZB8

TJMKID
10-06-2020, 11:35 PM
I'm glad Eddie actually through with this --- there were rumors he was going to back out of it.

At some point, every true musical icon has to ditch the humility and just bask in the glory and acknowledge his greatness and impact on the world --- this was EVH's time to pat himself on the back!

BTW, this was posted online in February 2015 so it was done before 2017.

For anybody who might have missed this back in 2017... or wants to see it again.....

https://youtu.be/yb26D8bBZB8

degüello
10-06-2020, 11:37 PM
This hit me really hard today, in a visceral way. Lots of tears and emotion. Such a huge part of my life from childhood to now, both as a listener and as a guitar player. Felt good to crank some VH, and it always will.

Seshmeister
10-06-2020, 11:58 PM
I'm seeing the LA Times obit all over all sorts of people's social media.

Seems more complete and accurate than most...

https://www.latimes.com/obituaries/story/2020-10-06/eddie-van-halen-guitar-dies-65?fbclid=IwAR1dji5aSJgy69kC5EqR8mEt1UAs-MdpAyNT3ujUweUQuj4-AswrcW_XArI

diamondD
10-07-2020, 12:00 AM
Couldn't tell you the last time I posted on any VH forum until today but it just felt therapeutic to log in and say this sucks.

FORD
10-07-2020, 12:12 AM
Eddie's most ironic line in the above interview....

You play until the day you die. It's not like - I can't wait until I'm 65 and retire...." :(

FORD
10-07-2020, 12:38 AM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20201007/a14ba6192f5c9483890afb69d10919b3.jpg

Julius
10-07-2020, 01:43 AM
Sad news. However somewhat expected.

After the death of Mark Stone I immediately thought about Eddie's situation. Just the other day I wondered how long until I wake up one morning and learn that Eddie had died. And I heard the news at 2 PM today on my local radio station. I was at work and decided to leave early and go home to process this information.

I'm paraphrasing someone here... "The worst thing about getting older is watching your heroes die."

Goodbye Ed, and thank you.

Be safe and well Roth Army family.

Edwards3rdWife
10-07-2020, 04:10 AM
David did warn us, more than once. I feel for him. Love you, Edward.

Death is not the extinguishing of the light,
but putting out the lamp
because the dawn has come.

Jetstream
10-07-2020, 04:42 AM
Ed smoked, drank and did drugs. Did those ultimately kill him, probably but without them we probably would not have his music either. Ed probably did not need them like Hagar often cited to open up his own limited imagination, but Ed probably used them to isolate himself so he could think about the music and not all the crap in this world which he seems to have worried about. The guy had stage fright and would often have to drink a six pack early on just to get on stage. He lived a troubled life to use his talent but he left us with something amazing... rest in peace Edward Van Halen, thank you for the music

twonabomber
10-07-2020, 04:59 AM
Sirius channel 27 has become the Van Halen tribute channel

Jérôme Frenchise
10-07-2020, 05:39 AM
I feel very sad, though it was predictable as the news about Ed were alarming lately.
Despite the part of negativity that was in the air now and then, my thoughts focus on the ultimate smiling guitar wizard in action. It's what comes to my mind spontaneously.

R.I.P. Eddie
My condolences to the whole Van Halen family

Phil theStalker
10-07-2020, 07:20 AM
You cretins seem to forget Eddie arrived in AMERICA as an immigrant and AMERICA became all the better because of it. Oh, and that he wasn't a limey or worse, Scottish or grew up or ever lived in Cleveland.

:popc1: ooOOH oHh Oh ,, TWONAbomBER iS gOnNA giT u 4 dAT..:hogan::bellydance:

Phil theStalker
10-07-2020, 07:30 AM
:bong2: wAS eDdiE a cCHriSTiAN??/?? iS eDDie iN hEavEn? diD hE dO anY bAd tHiNGS?? I"M sUrE hE DiD../aND hE iS fOrgiVEN/... I tHiNK He'S iN hEaVEEN riGHt nOW./.:amen::drum:

PHOENIX
10-07-2020, 07:52 AM
There's a never ending concert in Heaven who's stage is a little more crowded now.
RIP Edward

Seshmeister
10-07-2020, 07:59 AM
There's a never ending concert in Heaven who's stage is a little more crowded now.
RIP Edward

Hey PEENIX! :)

Good to see you.

SuchGoodPhotog
10-07-2020, 08:09 AM

i did notice valerie's message said lung cancer, while most reports said throat cancer that had of of course spread to other organs... thanks for clearing that up.

SuchGoodPhotog
10-07-2020, 08:12 AM
also im sure everyone's seen those pics of ed's work bench with thousands of guitar parts and experimental construction. wonder what happens to that. perhaps an EVH museum!

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/6e/9d/1a/6e9d1a04377396f75d1cf2e1584d3f78.jpg

Seshmeister
10-07-2020, 08:49 AM
https://www.nme.com/news/music/ozzy-osbourne-pays-tribute-to-eddie-van-halen-2774757?fbclid=IwAR2qZuAiy9sCrkO3M7qKwY2Hg6jw4m8St 3M0Waa5AT0-vxYhMlXAFRRsmo4

Ozzy Osbourne pays tribute to Eddie Van Halen: “Everybody else was trying to be Eddie Van Halen, but there is only one Eddie Van Halen”

Osbourne said that he "could sit and watch Eddie Van Halen play guitar all day"

By
Sam Moore
7th October 2020

https://www.nme.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/10/ozzyvanhalen-696x442.jpg

Ozzy Osbourne has paid a moving tribute to the late Eddie Van Halen following the news of his death yesterday (October 6).

Van Halen passed away yesterday morning following a lengthy battle with cancer. He was 65.

Among the many musicians to pay tribute to the guitar legend since the news of his passing was announced was Osbourne, who told Rolling Stone about his memories of touring with Van Halen and his great admiration for the late musician’s style of guitar playing.

“The last time I spent any serious time with Eddie was on the last official Black Sabbath tour I did in ’79, when they opened up for us,” Osbourne remembered. “They were such good guys to be around. We had such fun. Every time I ever saw Eddie Van Halen, it was fun.

“I remember seeing Eddie do that finger-tapping thing, and that was the first time I’d ever seen anyone do that. Just when you think nobody can make guitar playing exciting, somebody like that comes out. He was one of them.

“That thing with finger-tapping in the 80s, with the hair bands, everybody was doing that finger tapping. Once you’ve seen the master do it, everyone else comes second. Anybody after Eddie Van Halen was in second, as far as I’m concerned.”

Osbourne added that the “one thing I loved about Eddie was he always had a big grin on his face, and he looked like he was enjoying every second he was up there.”

“Whether it was showbiz bullshit or not — I don’t think it was — he always looked like he was having the best time of his life up there.”

https://www.nme.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/10/Eddie-Van-Halen.jpg

Remembering the late guitarist as “a force to be reckoned with”, he recalled one show they played with Van Halen (the band) in San Antonio where “they went on and blew the roof off. And we had to follow them. I mean, it was such a hard gig for us. To follow Van Halen, you’d go, ‘Oh, fuck. No.’ And after that tour, they took off.”

Osbourne said that he “could sit and watch Eddie Van Halen play guitar all day. He’s so entertaining as a guitar player. He made it look like it was not difficult. He made it look like it was a natural thing. Everybody else was trying to be Eddie Van Halen, but there is only one Eddie Van Halen. I thought he was brilliant. God only knows, what you have to do to get that good.”

Revealing that he “was in shock” at hearing the news of Van Halen’s passing, Osbourne said: “I knew he was battling an illness. I have the same doctor as him. I used to pass messages through her to him, and she would never tell me the condition he was in or whatever. She would say, ‘What do you want to say?’ And I would say, ‘I send my regards.’ So it really was a shock, because he was a good guy. He really was a good man.

“It’s always a sad day when somebody like that dies. It’s like when Michael Jackson died. I didn’t believe it at first. It’s such a fucking loss.”

SuchGoodPhotog
10-07-2020, 08:56 AM
last show in 2015 at the hollywood bowl: https://ultimateclassicrock.com/eddie-van-halen-last-van-halen-concert/

The singer then walked over to the guitarist and they put their arms around each other. After they said some off-mic words to each other, Roth continued: "The best years of my life; the high points of all my life – onstage with you, homeboy. I will always do the half-Jesus towards you, Eddie Van Halen."

video: https://youtu.be/J1xVtkKPLws?t=374

WARF
10-07-2020, 09:07 AM
As sad as I am today, I had a vision of Eddie on his death bed and Sammy calling to say goodbye....

And Ed hung up on him, and it brought a smile to my face...

TJMKID
10-07-2020, 09:19 AM
Ed smoked, drank and did drugs. Did those ultimately kill him, probably but without them we probably would not have his music either. Ed probably did not need them like Hagar often cited to open up his own limited imagination, but Ed probably used them to isolate himself so he could think about the music and not all the crap in this world which he seems to have worried about. The guy had stage fright and would often have to drink a six pack early on just to get on stage. He lived a troubled life to use his talent but he left us with something amazing... rest in peace Edward Van Halen, thank you for the music

I still remember reading that article in Rolling Stone about how Ed remembers the very day he started drinking and smoking. He said a German Shepherd roaming the neighborhood bit him when he was 11 or 12 years old and his father told him to swig some whiskey to kill the pain and have a smoke. Sounds funny and may or may not be true, but it seems like with Jan Van Halen being a raging alcoholic and chain-smoker that Eddie and Alex were doomed to follow in his footsteps. The weird part is that I don't know of any rock stars who died of alcoholic liver cirrhosis but many of them have died of lung cancer or heart attacks. So the alcohol abuse causes them a lot of lifestyle and relationship problems, but it's the ciggies that usually end up killing them prematurely.

TJMKID
10-07-2020, 09:23 AM
As sad as I am today, I had a vision of Eddie on his death bed and Sammy calling to say goodbye....

And Ed hung up on him, and it brought a smile to my face...

I can picture Eddie whispering his final words --- "Fuck off, Poodlehead ... Dave is my broh" :fufu:

Seshmeister
10-07-2020, 09:26 AM
Just looking around the internet and there is a guy in Japan playing Van Halen covers really well live to a 10 000+ people.

He's been going for 90 minutes so far...

https://youtu.be/WCVOH0jBFy4

Seshmeister
10-07-2020, 09:43 AM
Yuck 1 hour 40 and he's now playing Dreams...

PHOENIX
10-07-2020, 10:07 AM
Hey Sheesh,

I spent so much time on this site back in the early days.
We were all hoping for a reunion, new music, so many things.
We put up with a million rumors and so on.
One thing for sure now is VH will never play ever again. It's over.
It's hard to accept that it's now all in the past.

ZahZoo
10-07-2020, 10:18 AM
The band will never perform again... the music plays on...

Lqskdiver
10-07-2020, 10:30 AM
Hey Sheesh,

I spent so much time on this site back in the early days.
We were all hoping for a reunion, new music, so many things.
We put up with a million rumors and so on.
One thing for sure now is VH will never play ever again. It's over.
It's hard to accept that it's now all in the past.

Waiting for the rumors to start again.

Maybe Neal Schon can fill in...;)

But I'd say a tribute is in order.

Jérôme Frenchise
10-07-2020, 10:46 AM
Even Froggie radios are paying tribute to Eddie... Fuck, why wait for somebody's death to recognize their value?:(

Seshmeister
10-07-2020, 11:21 AM
https://i.ibb.co/7z70ZP0/jason.jpg (https://ibb.co/TTzN76N)

Funkmonkey
10-07-2020, 11:33 AM
Even Froggie radios are paying tribute to Eddie... Fuck, why wait for somebody's death to recognize their value?:(

Human nature; people tend not to think about things until they are gone.

WARF
10-07-2020, 11:41 AM
Just looking around the internet and there is a guy in Japan playing Van Halen covers really well live to a 10 000+ people.

He's been going for 90 minutes so far...

https://youtu.be/WCVOH0jBFy4

I think they shut him down after “Love Walks In”...

Von Halen
10-07-2020, 11:54 AM
Well...where to begin?

First and foremost, yesterday wasn't the worst day of my life, but it ranks right up there. The death of my Grandparents was worse. The death of my wife was worse. Other than that, this was the worst. Sorry I haven't been around much, but the last few years have provided me with some trials and tribulations that I'm just now overcoming.

July 19, 1979. Century II Convention Center in Wichita, KS. We waited outside the doors all day in sweltering Kansas heat, because we wanted to be front row. It was worth the wait, and literally changed my life as far as bands and music goes. Ever since that show, I have been a Van Halen fanatic. My family has called me obsessed. I have worn that label proud since that hot summer day in July of 1979. My high school classmates dubbed me "Von Halen" as my first name is Vaughn, not because of my ability to play the guitar. Quite the opposite! I was just that infatuated with this band, and I made sure everyone knew it. I was a Van Halen promotional machine in a little Kansas town. My Son's first and middle name would have been Von and Halen, but my wife said no. :D I recently had my pole barn repainted, and I wanted to red, black and white stripe it. My girlfriend said no, and the price would have been outrageous anyway. My deck railing in the middle at the front of my house has a big empty spot. I want to put the flying VH in there. I'm being told no on that too, but I'm not taking no for an answer on that one. I will put a great big flying VH in there. I still have the VH Buggy. Ed told me he would sign it if I brought it to him. Unfortunately, when he was here, the weather didn't cooperate. Thanks to Twonabomber, I do have a picture of me showing a picture of it to Ed on a sidewalk in London, Ontario. Man, I am so out of it right now, I just can't even think straight.

Anyway, like most people posting in this thread, I am devastated. This is a big piece of my life that is gone.

Oh, and last but not least. Kristy, I still want to fuck you!

Figs
10-07-2020, 12:09 PM
Terrible news for sure. He was a rock idol of mine and my friends way back when. Sad to think no one will get to see him perform live again....

Hardrock69
10-07-2020, 12:16 PM
Despite the overwhelming tragedy, it is good to see some old hands around here, like Phoenix, and Von.

Von? You were responsible for me being a member.

I was doing an internet search for Heavy back in about 2002 or so, and Google served up a post you made about him.

I looked around the forums and felt like I had come home. I signed up immediately.

IF you recall, I was at that same Century II show.

I drove through Wichita over last Christmas. Moving from my last "hometown" to my new one, and thought I would stop by. It was a shell of it's former self.

Oh well.

All we can do is carry on.

As I learned when I lost 4 members of my family inside the past 9 years....you never get over it. You just have to get through it.

Roth on.

Jérôme Frenchise
10-07-2020, 12:25 PM
Exactly, it's like when you attend funerals, you get to meet old-time friends there.

Dave got us together here, all right, but so did Eddie, as both are tied forever.

Fairwrning
10-07-2020, 12:26 PM
Sirius channel 27 has become the Van Halen tribute channel

Been listening today..fuck me, Im even enjoying SOME of the Hagar era..I am kinda surprised by the mainstream media coverage.. Ed was a almost a hermit but this news is everywhere you turn.

Kristy
10-07-2020, 12:32 PM
In all of these Eddie tributes I'm seeing little mention of Gary Cherone. I think that is appalling, unforgivable and disrespectful. Van Halen III was a tour de force

Also, across YouGoob are a lot of failed musicians who somehow can afford expensive gear are playing their gawd-awful solos to Eddie. Why? If you or you know someone who is doing this please stop.

Fairwrning
10-07-2020, 12:39 PM
They are playing VH3 songs on sirius 27...Ed's playing is great on this stuff..

Lqskdiver
10-07-2020, 01:02 PM
https://i.ibb.co/7z70ZP0/jason.jpg (https://ibb.co/TTzN76N)

https://youtu.be/konUjNnCy14

Its almost October 10, 2021(@4:11 mark)

I don't think we're gonna see a FAT DLR.

Lqskdiver
10-07-2020, 01:13 PM
I think they shut him down after “Love Walks In”...

Was it this guy? Satsuma is the shit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3t3R5rSCvtc

ZahZoo
10-07-2020, 01:25 PM
That's a cool story about Jason Becker and Ed regarding A Little Ain't Enough...

Unfortunately the video may not stand up well for the current times due to midgets in black-face... definitely different times...

FORD
10-07-2020, 01:37 PM
https://i.imgur.com/3rnxunc.jpg

WARF
10-07-2020, 02:04 PM
From Doug Hitchens aka hitch1996

Alright you buncha pussies. Get ready, because you won't like this.

Fuck you all.

Eddie Van Halen WAS Van Halen.
Not David Lee Roth. Not Sammy Hagar. Not Michael Anthony. Not Alex, nor Wolfie.

Allow me to give some background. I was born in 1996, the year Gary Cherone was implemented into Van Halen. Naturally, I was not a part of the Van Halen fandom during any of the vocalists' "prime."

I am also the eldest son of Doug Hitchens, an avid fan, and previously active member of Van Halen News Desk, The Roth Army-#1 source of DLR and Classic Van Halen discussion since 1999, David Lee Roth Presents: HANG EM’ HIGH!, and most importantly, hitchWORLD1969®. So Fucking RESPEKT®.

My favorite Van Halen albums, in order from best to worst are:

Fair Warning
Van Halen
OU812
Diver Down
For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge
Balance
Women and Children First
Van Halen II
A Different Kind of Truth
Van Halen III (lol)

I didn't put much thought into that and answers are subject to change™.

MY POINT:

Both Roth and Hagar are egocentric pieces of poopy™.

I don't understand why Roth is held on such a high pedestal. Yes, he was the original vocalist of VH. Yes he brought a more metal and high energy feel to VH than Sammy. Yes, he was a phenomenal front man, with high energy, rich ideas, and blinding showmanship; without him, it is a semi-arguable (emphasis on the SEMI) point that EVH would have been a nobody. And, of course, yes, this is a fan page dedicated to him, so I realize my posting of this is out of place and going to be criticized by all who see it.

BUTT™!...

He fucking sucked at singing. In the 70's, in the 80's, in the 90's, in the 00's, AND ESPECIALLY IN A DIFFERENT KIND OF TRUTH!!! I mean FUCK!!!! A Different Kind of Truth was terrible from a vocal perspective. It took me fucking 20 listens to finally appreciate it, and even then, it was only because he is the "face" of what Van Halen "should be." Not a single one of you Roth-dick-sucking-motherfuckers could ever convince me that the vocals on that album are objectively even decent, nor that he deserves to be sucking his own dick in Vegas, Right Now©. If that was his first album he ever appeared on, he would've been laughed in the face at by every single third grader who has ever touched a fucking recorder.

Now that's not to say I don't enjoy Roth-Era VH. Quite the opposite. I love ALL Van Halen. Also, there is no doubt in my mind that DLR fits fucking perfectly with VH. The magic of those first six albums are unobtainable by anyone and anything that will ever exist. His voice sits so perfectly in the mix and all of those albums are masterpieces ('cept Van Halen II... for some reason I really don't care for that album). Also, being an angsty 24 year old with no parents and a love for heavy music, I could cut every other musical act out of my diet (including Hagar-Era VH), and die a happy life.

The last statement above is probably false™.

Now for Hagar. Sammy is undoubtedly the better vocalist of VH. I get it, Roth has more album sales than Hagar (57M vs 27M circa 2015); keep in mind though, DLR has never had a billboard #1 album with VH, while ALL four of Sammy's VH albums reached #1.

Buuttfuck© that. Y'all are a bunch of cumguzzling Roth sluts and that won't mean anything to you. Dave still wins, right? Wrong!!! Sammy can actually fucking sing. Always has been able to, still can, and probably always will be able to. Not to fucking mention he let Ed do whatever he wanted to musically, y'know because he could actually work with whatever Eddie put on the table. Roth was restricted to that gritty, hard rock sound because his voice is TERRIBLE. It only works with the edgy, heavily distorted rock sound because his voice is also heavily distorted. And shitty™. Did I mention shitty™?

"BUt AlL SAmMy WrOTe wAs CheESy LoVe SoNgS AnD BaLLaDs!!" Newsflash, pussies!! Five Roth songs have "love" in the title, compared to Sammy's three. I know this isn't an accurate indicator but THEY BOTH WROTE A FAIR AMOUNT OF CHEESY ASS SONGS ABOUT GIRLS!

Furthermore, as I stated at the beginning of this post, Van Halen is EDWARD FUCKING VAN HALEN®!!!! It's been proven (via Sammy, and hell, fucking Cherone even) that Eddie would have made it big no matter what without Dave, but I would bet your bottom dollhair® that Dave would have been a nobody without the compatibility and grit that Ed brought to the table.

Also, who cares about the (two) whiney lead singers of the band, when Eddie clearly had all the talent? I realize I'm not on a "Van Halen" fan page, rather an "Oh MY GoD, DLr iS ThE BeST ANd i WAnT HiM tO EnTEr mY aSShoLE IN a NoN gRAcEfuLL MAnnEr, nO MaTTeR tHe CoSt" page but... This post is in tribute to him, and all of his musical greatness. He truly changed the world of rock and the state of the music industry as a whole. A truly great innovator who was tragically taken from us on the day of yester™. May he shred in peace, among all the other guitar heroes who have been taken from us... if you believe in that shit. Religion is Fake and Gay®.

Alright you fucking snowflakes™. What have you to say about this? I'm sure I've converted no one, and pissed all of you off in the process. Please let me remain a member of this glorious™ page, as I promise to no longer stir the pot. This page was very important to my father, the great HITCHbrain®, and I wish to remain a member, as I find more and more that aspects of his life are fading away from mine, and that makes me one sad panda™.

I'll leave you with one more remark:

This is all in good fun. I don't give a fuck what you like, or what you think about me, or Sammy, or Dave, or any of this bullshit. At the end of the day, both of them have sold 27M/57M (respektively®) more albums than any of you cowards. And by some odd chance you care about what I think, I already told you. I love ALL Van Halen. I was not born into prejudice, and I think y'all should focus a little more on Ed Boi™. He was the REAL musician.

P.S. - Cherone was the best VH vocalist. Fight me. Also, WARF, my father also loved both Van Halen eras ;)

Much love to all, no matter how wrong you cunts are

-hitch1996®

TJMKID
10-07-2020, 02:08 PM
Dave is still porking hot women just like the ones in that video.

I am as sure of that fact as I am that the sun will rise in the east tomorrow and Tax-Dodger Trump is going to prison for a long, long time.

https://youtu.be/konUjNnCy14

Its almost October 10, 2021(@4:11 mark)

I don't think we're gonna see a FAT DLR.

TJMKID
10-07-2020, 02:11 PM
I hate that he does so many Van Hagar covers --- but his playing is pretty tasty

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3t3R5rSCvtc

FORD
10-07-2020, 02:13 PM
dailymail.co.uk
Gene Simmons gets emotional as he pays tribute to Eddie Van Halen
Roxy Simons

'I'm devastated': Kiss icon Gene Simmons gets emotional as he pays tribute to friend Eddie Van Halen and admits he'd be 'bawling his eyes out' if he wasn't wearing sunglasses

Published: 04:49 EDT, 7 October 2020 | Updated: 04:57 EDT, 7 October 2020

Kiss icon Gene Simmons got emotional as he paid tribute to his late friend Eddie Van Halen on Wednesday's Good Morning Britain.

The musician, 71, admitted he was 'devastated' after hearing news of the rocker's passing at the age of 65 on Tuesday, following a battle with throat cancer.

Gene wore a hat and shielded his eyes with a pair of sunglasses as he claimed he would be 'bawling his eyes out' if he didn't cover up during the interview.

Referring to Piers Morgan, who had showed a clip from when he interviewed Eddie in the past, Gene said: 'Look today you show videos of you and Eddie and that’s wonderful, its interesting, and I talk about how I helped record their first album but I was just there in the beginning.

'But, it ain't about us, sadly the good die young and I am devastated by this.'

Talking about his attire for the interview, he went on: 'People may say it's part of the rocker facade wearing this hat but if I took this off then I would be bawling my eyes out, I’m devastated.

'There are so many good people in the world who should still be here.'

Paying an emotional tribute to Eddie, he added: 'You seldom meet a beautiful soul, I’m not talking yours truly, I couldn't sign Eddie's shoes.

'I fell prey to ego and fame and all things like that and I never saw Eddie fall into that and the self-aggrandisement etc. it was all about his music... not since Hendrix, Eddie changed the world.

'Eddie van Halen never said a bad thing about anything... when I heard the sad news, the first thing I thought of was his smile, which might seem strange.'

Gushing about Eddie's talent as a musician, Gene went on: 'He played emotionally and taught himself, what you saw this phenomenon that was Eddie was self-taught.

'I was there in the beginning and saw the phenomenon that was Eddie. It was exciting and that's what was... sorry I'm getting quite caught up here... man’s best friend is a dog but clearly Eddie’s best relationship with a guitar.'

Eddie passed away at at St. Johns Hospital in Santa Monica, California with his wife Janie, his son Wolfgang and brother and drummer Alex next to him, according to TMZ.

'I can't believe I'm having to write this but my father, Edward Lodewijk Van Halen, has lost his long and arduous battle with cancer this morning,' Wolfgang said in a tweet.

He added: 'He was the best father I could ever ask for. Every moment I've shared with him on and off stage was a gift....My heart is broken and I don't think I will ever fully recover from this loss.'

Eddie, who never really learned to read music, had a sudden decline in health in the past 72 hours, according to TMZ.

His throat cancer had reportedly gone to his brain as well as other parts of his body, it was added, and the site said that he had been 'in and out of the hospital over the past year.'

Veteran rocker Eddie was diagnosed with cancer nearly 20 years ago and had been traveling between the United States and Germany for treatment.

TJMKID
10-07-2020, 02:15 PM
Unfortunately the video may not stand up well for the current times due to midgets in black-face... definitely different times...

I'm gonna be sick to my stomach when all the Millenial music editors are writing the obit for Dave -- "He was the flamboyant frontman for legendary 80's rock band Van Halen but he caused a lot of controversy when he featured racial stereotypes in his videos like 'California Girls' and insulted vertically-challenged people as well"

Rikk
10-07-2020, 02:21 PM
Could this turn tragic? You know that magic often does.

Kristy
10-07-2020, 02:29 PM
Cherone was the best VH vocalist.

God damn right he was. Eddie was smart to hire him.

Von Halen
10-07-2020, 03:38 PM
Will the original Franky be buried with him?

Funkmonkey
10-07-2020, 04:09 PM
New punk VH tribute band: Deadie Van Halen

Funkmonkey
10-07-2020, 04:14 PM
From Doug Hitchens aka hitch1996

Alright you buncha pussies. Get ready, because you won't like this.

Fuck you all.

Eddie Van Halen WAS Van Halen.
Not David Lee Roth. Not Sammy Hagar. Not Michael Anthony. Not Alex, nor Wolfie.

Allow me to give some background. I was born in 1996, the year Gary Cherone was implemented into Van Halen. Naturally, I was not a part of the Van Halen fandom during any of the vocalists' "prime."

I am also the eldest son of Doug Hitchens, an avid fan, and previously active member of Van Halen News Desk, The Roth Army-#1 source of DLR and Classic Van Halen discussion since 1999, David Lee Roth Presents: HANG EM’ HIGH!, and most importantly, hitchWORLD1969®. So Fucking RESPEKT®.

My favorite Van Halen albums, in order from best to worst are:

Fair Warning
Van Halen
OU812
Diver Down
For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge
Balance
Women and Children First
Van Halen II
A Different Kind of Truth
Van Halen III (lol)

I didn't put much thought into that and answers are subject to change™.

MY POINT:

Both Roth and Hagar are egocentric pieces of poopy™.

I don't understand why Roth is held on such a high pedestal. Yes, he was the original vocalist of VH. Yes he brought a more metal and high energy feel to VH than Sammy. Yes, he was a phenomenal front man, with high energy, rich ideas, and blinding showmanship; without him, it is a semi-arguable (emphasis on the SEMI) point that EVH would have been a nobody. And, of course, yes, this is a fan page dedicated to him, so I realize my posting of this is out of place and going to be criticized by all who see it.

BUTT™!...

He fucking sucked at singing. In the 70's, in the 80's, in the 90's, in the 00's, AND ESPECIALLY IN A DIFFERENT KIND OF TRUTH!!! I mean FUCK!!!! A Different Kind of Truth was terrible from a vocal perspective. It took me fucking 20 listens to finally appreciate it, and even then, it was only because he is the "face" of what Van Halen "should be." Not a single one of you Roth-dick-sucking-motherfuckers could ever convince me that the vocals on that album are objectively even decent, nor that he deserves to be sucking his own dick in Vegas, Right Now©. If that was his first album he ever appeared on, he would've been laughed in the face at by every single third grader who has ever touched a fucking recorder.

Now that's not to say I don't enjoy Roth-Era VH. Quite the opposite. I love ALL Van Halen. Also, there is no doubt in my mind that DLR fits fucking perfectly with VH. The magic of those first six albums are unobtainable by anyone and anything that will ever exist. His voice sits so perfectly in the mix and all of those albums are masterpieces ('cept Van Halen II... for some reason I really don't care for that album). Also, being an angsty 24 year old with no parents and a love for heavy music, I could cut every other musical act out of my diet (including Hagar-Era VH), and die a happy life.

The last statement above is probably false™.

Now for Hagar. Sammy is undoubtedly the better vocalist of VH. I get it, Roth has more album sales than Hagar (57M vs 27M circa 2015); keep in mind though, DLR has never had a billboard #1 album with VH, while ALL four of Sammy's VH albums reached #1.

Buuttfuck© that. Y'all are a bunch of cumguzzling Roth sluts and that won't mean anything to you. Dave still wins, right? Wrong!!! Sammy can actually fucking sing. Always has been able to, still can, and probably always will be able to. Not to fucking mention he let Ed do whatever he wanted to musically, y'know because he could actually work with whatever Eddie put on the table. Roth was restricted to that gritty, hard rock sound because his voice is TERRIBLE. It only works with the edgy, heavily distorted rock sound because his voice is also heavily distorted. And shitty™. Did I mention shitty™?

"BUt AlL SAmMy WrOTe wAs CheESy LoVe SoNgS AnD BaLLaDs!!" Newsflash, pussies!! Five Roth songs have "love" in the title, compared to Sammy's three. I know this isn't an accurate indicator but THEY BOTH WROTE A FAIR AMOUNT OF CHEESY ASS SONGS ABOUT GIRLS!

Furthermore, as I stated at the beginning of this post, Van Halen is EDWARD FUCKING VAN HALEN®!!!! It's been proven (via Sammy, and hell, fucking Cherone even) that Eddie would have made it big no matter what without Dave, but I would bet your bottom dollhair® that Dave would have been a nobody without the compatibility and grit that Ed brought to the table.

Also, who cares about the (two) whiney lead singers of the band, when Eddie clearly had all the talent? I realize I'm not on a "Van Halen" fan page, rather an "Oh MY GoD, DLr iS ThE BeST ANd i WAnT HiM tO EnTEr mY aSShoLE IN a NoN gRAcEfuLL MAnnEr, nO MaTTeR tHe CoSt" page but... This post is in tribute to him, and all of his musical greatness. He truly changed the world of rock and the state of the music industry as a whole. A truly great innovator who was tragically taken from us on the day of yester™. May he shred in peace, among all the other guitar heroes who have been taken from us... if you believe in that shit. Religion is Fake and Gay®.

Alright you fucking snowflakes™. What have you to say about this? I'm sure I've converted no one, and pissed all of you off in the process. Please let me remain a member of this glorious™ page, as I promise to no longer stir the pot. This page was very important to my father, the great HITCHbrain®, and I wish to remain a member, as I find more and more that aspects of his life are fading away from mine, and that makes me one sad panda™.

I'll leave you with one more remark:

This is all in good fun. I don't give a fuck what you like, or what you think about me, or Sammy, or Dave, or any of this bullshit. At the end of the day, both of them have sold 27M/57M (respektively®) more albums than any of you cowards. And by some odd chance you care about what I think, I already told you. I love ALL Van Halen. I was not born into prejudice, and I think y'all should focus a little more on Ed Boi™. He was the REAL musician.

P.S. - Cherone was the best VH vocalist. Fight me. Also, WARF, my father also loved both Van Halen eras ;)

Much love to all, no matter how wrong you cunts are

-hitch1996®

This is fake, and you sir are an imposter. There is no way this was written by the eldest son of Doug Hitchens. I know because you did not end your epistle with BREASTS !

Baby's On Fire
10-07-2020, 04:20 PM
Haven't you claimed you get drunk, do coke, and bang hookers? FFS STFU!!

No I have not. I have never done any drugs and never will.

So you shut the fuck up you idiot.

Vinnie Velvet
10-07-2020, 04:42 PM
More proof what we here at the Army knew all along - Spammy McFagar is a piece of shit. Ed's corpse is still fresh and this assclown couldn't help himself with the following. So what if he was in contact?? Fuck you Hagar.

SAMMY HAGAR Had Secretly Been In Contact With EDDIE VAN HALEN For Last Few Months: 'It's Been A Love Fest'

https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/sa...n-a-love-fest/

Sammy Hagar says that he had been secretly in contact with Eddie Van Halen in the months leading up to the legendary guitarist's death.

Hagar, who previously said he hadn't spoken to Eddie since since the conclusion of VAN HALEN's 2004 reunion tour, revealed his renewed friendship with his former bandmate in a note which was read over the air this morning (Wednesday, October 6) by radio personality Howard Stern on his SiriusXM show.

Hagar wrote: "Eddie and I had been texting, and it's been a love fest since we started communicating earlier this year. We both agreed not to tell anyone, because of all the rumors it would stir up about a reunion, et cetera, and we both knew that wasn't gonna happen. But he also didn't want anyone to know about his health."

Sammy continued: "He stopped responding to me a month ago, and I figured it wasn't good. I reached out one more time last week, and when he didn't respond, I figured it was a matter of time. But it came way too soon."

Hagar replaced David Lee Roth in VAN HALEN in 1985 and recorded four studio albums with the band — "5150", "OU812", "For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge" and "Balance" — all of which topped the U.S. chart.

Sammy, Eddie, drummer Alex Van Halen and bassist Michael Anthony last teamed up in 2004 for a U.S. summer tour. In exchange for taking part in the tour, Anthony reportedly had to agree to take a pay cut and sign away his rights to the band name and logo.

This past May, Hagar told Rolling Stone that he was very optimistic about the possibility of a reunion with his VAN HALEN bandmates. "I foresee it happening," he said. "I'm not trying to plant a seed like I know something is happening. I know nothing. I just know what I know in my heart and my head, which is that it has to happen. Whether it's Sam and Dave or not, I don't know that either," referring to the prospect of both him and original VAN HALEN frontman David Lee Roth the stage with Eddie, Alex and Wolfgang Van Halen. "But I know that Eddie and I are not done. If enough water goes under the bridge before we die, it'll happen. It has to. God is going to slap us both around if he has to."

Sammy went on to say that he didn't agree with Roth's recent assessment that the band was "finished."

"Until Ed or Alex Van Halen die, they're not finished," the 72-year-old rocker told Rolling Stone. "Those are two great musicians that can friggin' do as good as most people at half-mast. As a drummer and as a guitarist and creative person, Eddie, I can't see them ever being finished. I wish they were more active, but I think VAN HALEN will never be finished.

"If they want to get it together, they just have to call Dave or have to call Sammy," he added. "They can go out with [Eddie's son] Wolfie as a trio, but that's not the legacy of VAN HALEN. I think they know that."

Early last year, rumors were rampant that the classic-era lineup of VAN HALEN would reunite for the first time since 1984. It's unclear why the tour didn't happen, though there has been online chatter that a health setback involving Eddie might have been responsible.

Eddie died on Tuesday (October 6) at the age of 65. The legendary VAN HALEN guitarist died at St. John's Hospital in Santa Monica, California. His wife, Janie, was by his side, along with his son, Wolfgang, and Alex, Eddie's brother and VAN HALEN drummer.

Eddie died from complications due to cancer, his son confirmed.

The guitarist was diagnosed with mouth cancer in 2000 and had tongue surgery. He was later diagnosed with throat cancer and reportedly had been receiving radiation treatment in

WARF
10-07-2020, 04:59 PM

https://scontent.fmia1-2.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t31.0-8/fr/cp0/e15/q65/15259704_1260262517330157_3744774379535824760_o.jp g?_nc_cat=100&_nc_sid=8024bb&efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9&_nc_ohc=ypFuCJOJ2d4AX8_Nx3R&_nc_ht=scontent.fmia1-2.fna&tp=14&oh=55fac87826c7cc140667fd2d7dec4082&oe=5FA2560A

The original Frankie is still alive, I don’t think he’ll be buried with Ed.

VetteLS5
10-07-2020, 05:00 PM
Hagar is a despicable piece of excrement. Saw the same post - way to try to make yourself relevant at the expense of another's death.

My parents sure never understood why I kept asking them to scan radio channels (AM no less) on that trip to Ohio in 1978ish. My whole teenage world changed when that album was released.

Where the fuck is Pete's Brother?

Igosplut
10-07-2020, 06:18 PM
The reason for passing really makes no difference. People live how they do, and it's their own personal payday, so to speak. This is more like seeing part of your youth die (and for most that happened long ago). It brings me back to a hot summer night at the cape cod coliseum. Someone offered at ticket to Ozzy if I'd drive them there. The CCC was as much about the parking lot scene as it was the shows so I said yea. No idea who was opening (I didn't really like Ozzy) so it was just a party. The opening band sounded wild, so I went in (general admission, so it never mattered). There was VH in all the drive to blow the headliner off. Many pivotal things happen in your youth (many to music), and I never realized it at the time, but there loomed a larger event that I carry to this day. I'd like to say I feel bad (And I do), but I'm really feeling bad for myself for being deprived of that feeling, now forever gone.....

Roy Munson
10-07-2020, 06:44 PM
Been awhile. Checking in.

In shock. Knew this day was coming but still hits hard. He was my hero since age 7. Part of me died yesterday.

Hope you all are well. Sometimes I miss this place.

TJMKID
10-07-2020, 06:46 PM
I'm gonna wait until Wolfie can confirm all this.

Knowing Hagar and what a liar he is --- it was probably just a single text to Ed along the lines of "how ya doin, buddy?" and Ed responded with "hanging in there, bud. Have a good one. See ya".

Pretty far from a "love-fest" as Sammy put it.

Besides, why does Spambo think that everyone he ever met or worked with loves him and wants to make amends and be his best pal until death? Dave made some enemies along the way and I don't see him groveling for their forgiveness or reconciliation. Sometimes life just sucks ass and you lose people that you used to get along with. Happens to all of us. Pull up your diapers and act like an adult, Spambo.

More proof what we here at the Army knew all along - Spammy McFagar is a piece of shit. Ed's corpse is still fresh and this assclown couldn't help himself with the following. So what if he was in contact?? Fuck you Hagar.

SAMMY HAGAR Had Secretly Been In Contact With EDDIE VAN HALEN For Last Few Months: 'It's Been A Love Fest'

https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/sa...n-a-love-fest/

Sammy Hagar says that he had been secretly in contact with Eddie Van Halen in the months leading up to the legendary guitarist's death.

Hagar, who previously said he hadn't spoken to Eddie since since the conclusion of VAN HALEN's 2004 reunion tour, revealed his renewed friendship with his former bandmate in a note which was read over the air this morning (Wednesday, October 6) by radio personality Howard Stern on his SiriusXM show.

Hagar wrote: "Eddie and I had been texting, and it's been a love fest since we started communicating earlier this year. We both agreed not to tell anyone, because of all the rumors it would stir up about a reunion, et cetera, and we both knew that wasn't gonna happen. But he also didn't want anyone to know about his health."

Sammy continued: "He stopped responding to me a month ago, and I figured it wasn't good. I reached out one more time last week, and when he didn't respond, I figured it was a matter of time. But it came way too soon."

Hagar replaced David Lee Roth in VAN HALEN in 1985 and recorded four studio albums with the band — "5150", "OU812", "For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge" and "Balance" — all of which topped the U.S. chart.

Sammy, Eddie, drummer Alex Van Halen and bassist Michael Anthony last teamed up in 2004 for a U.S. summer tour. In exchange for taking part in the tour, Anthony reportedly had to agree to take a pay cut and sign away his rights to the band name and logo.

This past May, Hagar told Rolling Stone that he was very optimistic about the possibility of a reunion with his VAN HALEN bandmates. "I foresee it happening," he said. "I'm not trying to plant a seed like I know something is happening. I know nothing. I just know what I know in my heart and my head, which is that it has to happen. Whether it's Sam and Dave or not, I don't know that either," referring to the prospect of both him and original VAN HALEN frontman David Lee Roth the stage with Eddie, Alex and Wolfgang Van Halen. "But I know that Eddie and I are not done. If enough water goes under the bridge before we die, it'll happen. It has to. God is going to slap us both around if he has to."

Sammy went on to say that he didn't agree with Roth's recent assessment that the band was "finished."

"Until Ed or Alex Van Halen die, they're not finished," the 72-year-old rocker told Rolling Stone. "Those are two great musicians that can friggin' do as good as most people at half-mast. As a drummer and as a guitarist and creative person, Eddie, I can't see them ever being finished. I wish they were more active, but I think VAN HALEN will never be finished.

"If they want to get it together, they just have to call Dave or have to call Sammy," he added. "They can go out with [Eddie's son] Wolfie as a trio, but that's not the legacy of VAN HALEN. I think they know that."

Early last year, rumors were rampant that the classic-era lineup of VAN HALEN would reunite for the first time since 1984. It's unclear why the tour didn't happen, though there has been online chatter that a health setback involving Eddie might have been responsible.

Eddie died on Tuesday (October 6) at the age of 65. The legendary VAN HALEN guitarist died at St. John's Hospital in Santa Monica, California. His wife, Janie, was by his side, along with his son, Wolfgang, and Alex, Eddie's brother and VAN HALEN drummer.

Eddie died from complications due to cancer, his son confirmed.

The guitarist was diagnosed with mouth cancer in 2000 and had tongue surgery. He was later diagnosed with throat cancer and reportedly had been receiving radiation treatment in

TJMKID
10-07-2020, 06:58 PM

Somehow I don't think Ed would want that. He would want Wolfie to have it, and pass it on to his son or daughter.

I don't have any family heirlooms from my paternal grandparents and I feel somewhat deprived. There should be always be some kind of momento that you can pass on from generation to generation to remind the young folks of where they came from and what their legacy is. I can't think of a better heirloom for Wolfie to pass on to his kids than that iconic guitar that literally shook the music world to it's core.

Then again, if Wolfie's kids end up selling it on Ebay in 30 or 40 years for a nice chunk of coin then I will be PISSED.

lesfunk
10-07-2020, 07:10 PM
May 15, 1981.
Providence Civic center, Providence R.I.
Fair Warning.
My own personal “Beatles on Ed Sullivan” moment. That night the decision was made in my mind to be a degenerate and play music for a living. It was probably a big mistake, but Van Halen gets the credit, or blame, depending on ones viewpoint.
Being too young to drive, I was taken to the show by my older sister Karen (now dead from cancer) and went with my best childhood buddy Eddie. (Also dead from cancer) . How ironic.
It’s very surprising how badly I took the News of EVHs passing.
I guess looking back at it now, I Finally realize how someone’s life path can be altered from one simple experience .
Thanks to EVH for changing my life (as corny as it sounds)

hideyoursheep
10-07-2020, 07:11 PM
Good evening. It's been a while. folks.
Some of you might remember me, most of you probably don't, and I'm not assuming any of you give half a fuck.. I'll try to keep my useless eulogy short..but who the hell knows how long I'll ramble ��*♂️
Regardless of how you felt about Edward Van Halen after 1984, there's no doubt that if you had a guitar in your hands in 1978 you knew who he was. All we had prior to that were Hendrix clones. Edward got your fucking attention- immediately. He's our generations' Jimi Hendrix and then some. Truth be told, we don't even know if this site would exist without the chemistry between those original 4 .
Regardless of how he lived his life, that dude had something that only comes once in a lifetime, and we were all fortunate enough to be there when it happened.

.... but I still for the life of me can't understand why guys like Eddie and Neil, dimebag, lemmy etc... all gone. .. while somewhere in a dark English mansion Keith Richards is still laughing in Marlboro.
Legends live forever, as Dave so adequately put it.
I love what you did for us, Eddie. ����

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm gonna contact the admins about how to edit my profile pic, and promptly start melting snowflakes in the "front line".
See you fuckers later. ������

hideyoursheep
10-07-2020, 07:16 PM
Ok, about the Hendrix clones thing...
I forgot about Blackmore and the guy from hocus pocus.... but you know what I mean...

hideyoursheep
10-07-2020, 07:21 PM
Remind me not to use autocorrect while I'm visiting. Jesus tap dancing christ what a mess. :sockfucker:

Nickdfresh
10-07-2020, 07:23 PM
No I have not. I have never done any drugs and never will.

So you shut the fuck up you idiot.

Oh well fuck me, your heinous! I guess just alcohol and sex trafficked Albanians are your only vices. Forgive silly me!!!

Nickdfresh
10-07-2020, 07:25 PM
Just day two of a three day bender over this. I never imagined quite giving this much of a fuck. But just dumbstruck numb plodding through life...

lesfunk
10-07-2020, 07:34 PM
I’m sure there will be a big tribute coming down the pike.
It really needs to be a live one too. Not this phoned in zoom shit that Covid is forcing us to endure

twonabomber
10-07-2020, 07:37 PM
It really needs to be a live one too. Not this phoned in zoom shit that Covid is forcing us to endure

A Grammy Tribute to EVH? But who do they get to run it? Dave Grohl?

Good to see everyone! but of course, would be better under different circumstances...

twonabomber
10-07-2020, 07:42 PM
Thirteen years ago tonight...the first of three shows in a week. Two Toronto shows with Cleveland in the middle on DLR's birthday. And then the Montreal road trip less than a month later.

'Twas a good month...

Sirius today, out of As Is into Let's Get Rockin', and then one of the Hagar things, and switched back in time to pick up Me Wise Magic. I still say I can hear the anger/aggression in that solo.

BUT

This morning, first thing I heard was Josephina...ugh

twonabomber
10-07-2020, 07:44 PM
And the Hagar thing...right on fuckin' cue. Asshole. I hope Wolf or Janie get into Ed's phone and debunk this shit.

Seshmeister
10-07-2020, 08:02 PM

Yeah I recognise the knees. ;)

and the guitar...

Seshmeister
10-07-2020, 08:11 PM
And the Hagar thing...right on fuckin' cue. Asshole. I hope Wolf or Janie get into Ed's phone and debunk this shit.

Yeah if they were so close why was Hagar still saying a reunion was a possibility so recently?

Whatever maybe Ed forgave him to get peace.

Nickdfresh
10-07-2020, 08:13 PM

Well to be fair Ed and Van Halen were COVID before COVID was cool! The kings of self-isolation... :)

Nickdfresh
10-07-2020, 08:16 PM

Even if it is true, Hagar is a shameless cunt. Like a fucking 75 year old high school girl longing for popularity and laboring under a delusion she might go somewhere someday when everyone knows she's a second rate low class gutter trash slut...

twonabomber
10-07-2020, 08:26 PM
Even if it is true, Hagar is a shameless cunt. Like a fucking 75 year old high school girl longing for popularity and laboring under a delusion she might go somewhere someday when everyone knows she's a second rate low class gutter trash slut...

Dude...Hagar is the 12 year old fat kid who got to kiss a girl and shot his load while he did, she never talked to him again, and he spent the next 20 fucking years riding his busted-ass Schwinn in front of her house and attempted to do wheelies in an effort to impress her.

Or, "look at ME, daddy!"

SuchGoodPhotog
10-07-2020, 08:28 PM
nothing from alex yet, right?

moose
10-07-2020, 08:46 PM
I hate 2020....

Seshmeister
10-07-2020, 08:48 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MbR2e9J3WY

https://youtu.be/1cOosnkWj2g

lesfunk
10-07-2020, 09:01 PM
Whatever maybe Ed forgave him to get peace.
Phone rings.....
EVH “hello?”

Hagar “ hey brother! Sammy here. You know I was thinking how great it would be to get me back and do a reunion.
I mean, I’d even let Roth in on it! Your kid too! Anything it takes! I’m down! Mikey just woke up and said he’s in.‘I told him you’d do it babe’ (To M.A. mumbling in background) Mikey just said You wouldnt even have to pay him!
Anyway, Like I was sayin, love ya brother. I already have a press release written and....”

EVH “Yeah whatever”
‘Click’

Sammy immediately contacts blabbermouth.com, announces “love fest”

Seshmeister
10-07-2020, 09:22 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=verM880WzFY

I have tickets to see Ozzy 2 weeks on Sunday at an arena show which weirdly hasn't officially been cancelled yet(for a 3rd time) even though it would be illegal for him to play in my garage at the moment. :)

Terry
10-07-2020, 09:23 PM
Can't say I was shocked by the news, given that Ed has been ailing to varying degrees for the last twenty years. The photos of him that did surface over the last year...he didn't look good.

Even though it wasn't surprising, it's still sad. Hearing the news brought back this wave of memories for me. Remembering when I first heard Van Halen. All the hours in the early 1980s spent trying to figure out how he was doing what he was doing...how he was making the guitar sound the way he did. Watching those live Fair Warning promo videos on MTV, and Ed is just ripping those licks out with that shit eating grin on his face.

For however things turned out in the end for the band - most of their post 1984 output and undertakings weren't of interest to me - what Ed did re: rock guitar...a million people have said a million things over the last two days already. What else can one say? An icon and a legend. I've listened to the 6 pack stuff so much over the last 40 years it's to the point where I don't even need to listen to it anymore, because that music is just burned into my brain.

Von Halen
10-07-2020, 09:32 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=verM880WzFY

I have tickets to see Ozzy 2 weeks on Sunday at an arena show which weirdly hasn't officially been cancelled yet(for a 3rd time) even though it would be illegal for him to play in my garage at the moment. :)

Don't go Sesh! Even though your vodka soaked insides would probably kill the Covid, I don't want you to take that chance!

TJMKID
10-07-2020, 09:41 PM
Thirteen years ago tonight...the first of three shows in a week. Two Toronto shows with Cleveland in the middle on DLR's birthday. And then the Montreal road trip less than a month later.

'Twas a good month...

I really wanted to go to that Cleveland show in 2007. I was so fuckin' jazzed about Dave being back that I was ready to pay $400 to $500 for a floor ticket within 20 rows of the stage.

Unfortunately, the lady I was dating at the time had some work obligations she couldn't get out of and I didn't wanna piss her off by going myself. Luckily, we caught the VH boys in Pittsburgh the following April but that Cleveland show was among the very first of that reunion tour and I was watching clips on YouTube and they were really impressing me.

Fairwrning
10-07-2020, 11:20 PM
I really wanted to go to that Cleveland show in 2007. I was so fuckin' jazzed about Dave being back that I was ready to pay $400 to $500 for a floor ticket within 20 rows of the stage.

Unfortunately, the lady I was dating at the time had some work obligations she couldn't get out of and I didn't wanna piss her off by going myself. Luckily, we caught the VH boys in Pittsburgh the following April but that Cleveland show was among the very first of that reunion tour and I was watching clips on YouTube and they were really impressing me.

2nd show was tight..

https://youtu.be/H2TN7kZujGU

Dave's Bitch
10-07-2020, 11:44 PM
R.I.P Ed, it's been a hell of a ride

Seshmeister
10-08-2020, 12:47 AM
2nd show was tight..

To this day the most I've ever paid to go to a show, ours was Baltimore in May 2008. Great show although Eddie was only at 80% Dave was maybe the best vocally I've seen him. On the second tour and the live album that seemed to swap,

twonabomber
10-08-2020, 04:14 AM
Can't say I was shocked by the news, given that Ed has been ailing to varying degrees for the last twenty years. The photos of him that did surface over the last year...he didn't look good.

Could Ed's illness be the reason Wolfgang's album has been delayed? We joke about Ed not wanting to make music any more, and settling to make guitars and shoes...

We saw it coming. Didn't make the news any easier though.

Terry
10-08-2020, 05:09 AM
Could Ed's illness be the reason Wolfgang's album has been delayed? We joke about Ed not wanting to make music any more, and settling to make guitars and shoes...

We saw it coming. Didn't make the news any easier though.

Dunno. I have no idea how involved Ed was in Wolfgang's album, in terms of if Ed was co-producing it or guesting on some tracks or how far along the album is regarding being mixed.

No, even though it was sort of half-expected, it didn't make it any easier. About the only consolation one can take is that someone who was suffering isn't anymore.

Von Halen
10-08-2020, 09:11 AM
I would have thought Wolf would want to get it done and released before his Dad passed. Then again, Ed heard it so it's not like he didn't hear what Wolfgang did. Also, he'll probably get a lot of the "It's not Van Halen" comments and crap, so maybe it is better that it wasn't released yet.

Vinnie Velvet
10-08-2020, 09:38 AM
Ed's passing won't be good for Van Hagar's legacy.

As more young people decide to go through the VH catalog, they will see how inferior that era was to the original.

SuchGoodPhotog
10-08-2020, 10:13 AM
ALEX VAN HALEN Breaks Silence On EDDIE VAN HALEN's Death: 'See You On The Other Side'
https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/alex-van-halen-breaks-silence-on-eddie-van-halens-death-see-you-on-the-other-side/

SuchGoodPhotog
10-08-2020, 10:15 AM
Eddie Van Halen’s Widow Shares Touching Message
https://www.billboard.com/articles/news/9462398/eddie-van-halen-widow-touching-message

Funkmonkey
10-08-2020, 12:01 PM

As more young people decide to go through the VH catalog, they will see how inferior that era was to the original.

It depends on how many ballads they want to hear.

Rikk
10-08-2020, 12:07 PM

'Twas a good month...

Sirius today, out of As Is into Let's Get Rockin', and then one of the Hagar things, and switched back in time to pick up Me Wise Magic. I still say I can hear the anger/aggression in that solo.

BUT

This morning, first thing I heard was Josephina...ugh

I was listening to that yesterday. Did they actually play the original LET'S GET ROCKIN'? Not OUTTA SPACE? Wow.

ME WISE MAGIC shows just how much anger and rage Eddie was dealing with in 1996...to kick out both of his lead singers and make a big ass of himself that year...you can hear all that in ME WISE MAGIC.

I hate to admit this, but I will anyway...JOSEPHINA, to me, is really the one thing I like from VHIII. I just like the chords. I don't really understand what the fucking idiot singing is going on about. But I like the music in it. It would, of course, have been a much better song if Dave had sung a slow blues over it.

Fairwrning
10-08-2020, 12:19 PM
I heard " Can't get this stuff no more" yesterday....really took on a new meaning

Rikk
10-08-2020, 12:37 PM
I heard " Can't get this stuff no more" yesterday....really took on a new meaning

That song has sounded better and better to me every year the past 24 years...

24 years.

Jesus. Ed's dead.

I feel old.

Funkmonkey
10-08-2020, 01:06 PM
I was listening to that yesterday. Did they actually play the original LET'S GET ROCKIN'? Not OUTTA SPACE? Wow.

ME WISE MAGIC shows just how much anger and rage Eddie was dealing with in 1996...to kick out both of his lead singers and make a big ass of himself that year...you can hear all that in ME WISE MAGIC.

I hate to admit this, but I will anyway...JOSEPHINA, to me, is really the one thing I like from VHIII. I just like the chords. I don't really understand what the fucking idiot singing is going on about. But I like the music in it. It would, of course, have been a much better song if Dave had sung a slow blues over it.

Cherone is good rock vocalist. But he didn't have that larger than life personality everyone seemed to be looking for.

Funkmonkey
10-08-2020, 01:18 PM
An article with some Van Halen pictures in a timeline. https://ultimateclassicrock.com/eddie-van-halen-death-bandmates-reaction/

Kristy
10-08-2020, 02:26 PM
Well to be fair Ed and Van Halen were COVID before COVID was cool! The kings of self-isolation... :)

Speaking if which can't you fucking mods finally take down that retarded "Time since last VH Studio release" and replace it with a remembrance banner of Eddie? It's sort of redundant to keep it going at this point.

Oh right, slave SESH is that retarded also.

Funkmonkey
10-08-2020, 03:13 PM
Depending on what's collecting dust in the closet at 5150 studios, we might get a posthumous release of some material. It's a long shot, but possible.

Von Halen
10-08-2020, 04:03 PM
If anyone is wondering why they’re having such a hard time dealing with the death of EVH, like I am, I thought this was a pretty good explanation.

Kristy
10-08-2020, 04:05 PM
No, it's due to the constant laziness that is slave SESH You see, slave SESH lives in the past and believes even with Eddie's death there is going to be a new Van Halen record and tour. slave SESH has no bearing to objective reality anymore. A remembrance of Eddie would be nice for all the fans grieving but you see, slave SESH is no fan. He is an oppressive, censoring, hypocrite pseudo-left individual who hates humanity

SuchGoodPhotog
10-08-2020, 04:28 PM
this is tough, but ill be ok as long as no one suggests a reunion with satchel on guitar.

Von Halen
10-08-2020, 04:41 PM
No, it's due to the constant laziness that is slave SESH You see, slave SESH lives in the past and believes even with Eddie's death there is going to be a new Van Halen record and tour. slave SESH has no bearing to objective reality anymore. A remembrance of Eddie would be nice for all the fans grieving but you see, slave SESH is no fan. He is an oppressive, censoring, hypocrite pseudo-left individual who hates humanity

Kristy, I can see that in the years I’ve been away, you still haven’t gotten laid. Do you need me to make a trip to Colorado to help you out?

Kristy
10-08-2020, 05:12 PM
Shut up, Von. You're no fan, either.

Rikk
10-08-2020, 06:17 PM
I see Kristy still hasn't gotten laid since I last read her bile here.

Rikk
10-08-2020, 06:19 PM
Depending on what's collecting dust in the closet at 5150 studios, we might get a posthumous release of some material. It's a long shot, but possible.

Irving Azoff confirmed today that they are already talking about looking in the 5150 vaults for possible material for a posthumous release. I thought it was kind of tasteless of that money-grubber to be already talking about posthumous releases with Ed still alive 72 hours ago...but yeah, if he's anything like Dhani Harrison, that's one way Wolfgang might deal with his grief. Of course, that just might be maddeningly difficult.

twonabomber
10-08-2020, 06:37 PM
this is tough, but ill be ok as long as no one suggests a reunion with satchel on guitar.

Even worse...Sammy suggesting Vic Johnson, Bassplayer, and Alex back him up...

I bet Alex is done. The catalog will constantly sell, just cash those checks.

Wolfgang will be the keeper of the stripes.

Waukena
10-08-2020, 06:38 PM
Irving Azoff confirmed today that they are already talking about looking in the 5150 vaults for possible material for a posthumous release. I thought it was kind of tasteless of that money-grubber to be already talking about posthumous releases with Ed still alive 72 hours ago...but yeah, if he's anything like Dhani Harrison, that's one way Wolfgang might deal with his grief. Of course, that just might be maddeningly difficult.

Taken from: https://www.pollstar.com/article/irving-azoff-on-eddie-van-halen-unqualified-genius-loving-soul-146599

(2nd to last paragraph):
As for the possibility of unreleased recordings and future unheard music from the late musician, Azoff says it’s much too early to speculate. “Wolf and Alex will go up to 5150, the studio in Ed’s house, but there’s been a lot of recording over the years,” Azoff says. “I can’t predict that for sure there will be anything new, but for sure they’re going to look at it.”

Matt White
10-08-2020, 06:45 PM
I haven't checked into this old hotel in years and years...
The passing of the GRATEST Guitarist ever sent a clarion call that couldn't be ignored.
Having read both Noel Monk's & Ted Templeman's book this summer have given me a peace of mind regarding The Mighty Van Halen.
I hope that Ed reached out to all the important people in his life...and career...and made amends or at least buried the hatchet.
Watching that youtube of Mike & Spam made me realize 2 things:
1.) Damn...Mike looks old & frail
2.) Spam is just a dunce. A money grubbing dunderhead. I'm sure he had a true concern for Ed...be he always gets in his own way.
Regardless...now & until the end...."DAVID LEE ROTH IS VAN HALEN." I wish it wasn't so...but its the sad reality.
Jay & I both came to the same awful realization after Ed's passing....we now live in a "Post Edward Van Halen World." I hate that fact. I hate that Ed is now a "deceased legend"...like Hendrix & Rhoads...and so many more.
Farewell Edward Lodewijk Van Halen. Rest easy...you've more than earned it.

WARF
10-08-2020, 06:47 PM
https://scontent.fmia1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/fr/cp0/e15/q65/120765967_3802300149815459_1300006420135212189_n.j pg?_nc_cat=102&_nc_sid=110474&efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9&_nc_ohc=nuj_ZjUC_SEAX901EKM&_nc_ht=scontent.fmia1-1.fna&tp=14&oh=ac6a824e1969fe3123aa1749d4e3c97b&oe=5FA5665A

Matt White
10-08-2020, 06:49 PM
I did see earlier today that in the past two days the Van Halen catalog sales jumped 6,000%. Downloads & actual sales of VAN HALEN I...take that Spam Sheepeople!
BWAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

twonabomber
10-08-2020, 06:50 PM
https://scontent.fmia1-2.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t31.0-8/fr/cp0/e15/q65/15259704_1260262517330157_3744774379535824760_o.jp g?_nc_cat=100&_nc_sid=8024bb&efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9&_nc_ohc=ypFuCJOJ2d4AX8_Nx3R&_nc_ht=scontent.fmia1-2.fna&tp=14&oh=55fac87826c7cc140667fd2d7dec4082&oe=5FA2560A

The original Frankie is still alive, I don’t think he’ll be buried with Ed.

FGT motherfuckin' H.

That first album is so lush and full of interesting sounds...but that's Trevor Horn and ZTT. I play it all the time.

Fun fact: the only show...ONLY...show EVER I wanted to see and wasn't able to get tickets for was Phil Collins No Jacket Required tour. We got to the Ticketmaster window just as they sold out. So we bought FGTH tickets instead. Weeks later we decided we didn't want to go. Flipped them for a profit.

TJMKID
10-08-2020, 06:53 PM
Watching that youtube of Mike & Spam made me realize 2 things:
1.) Damn...Mike looks old & frail

Didnt Mikey have to bury a grandchild a couple years ago? That kind of thing can really age a Grandpa fast.

I seen it happen to my one of my own Gramps and he was so heartbroken he wore it on his face until he died.

twonabomber
10-08-2020, 06:54 PM

Yeah! But the song/artist ID wasn't there, I think it still said Van Halen Tribute or something. Today on the way home I heard Loss Of Control, and the song ID wasn't on that one, either. So they must not EVER play it.

I had the top down (I bought a Gladiator Rubicon :D) and heard Let's Get Rockin'. Had to turn it up, I thought it was Outta Space too. But then Bassplayer's vocals hit and I knew what it was.

TJMKID
10-08-2020, 06:54 PM
LOL fucking priceless, WARF ... you hit it out of the ballpark yet again

https://scontent.fmia1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/fr/cp0/e15/q65/120765967_3802300149815459_1300006420135212189_n.j pg?_nc_cat=102&_nc_sid=110474&efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9&_nc_ohc=nuj_ZjUC_SEAX901EKM&_nc_ht=scontent.fmia1-1.fna&tp=14&oh=ac6a824e1969fe3123aa1749d4e3c97b&oe=5FA5665A

Rikk
10-08-2020, 07:17 PM

That's just fucking awesome.

Rikk
10-08-2020, 07:21 PM
Yeah! But the song/artist ID wasn't there, I think it still said Van Halen Tribute or something. Today on the way home I heard Loss Of Control, and the song ID wasn't on that one, either. So they must not EVER play it.

I had the top down (I bought a Gladiator Rubicon :D) and heard Let's Get Rockin'. Had to turn it up, I thought it was Outta Space too. But then Bassplayer's vocals hit and I knew what it was.

Amazing! How was the quality? Did it sound like it came from the bootleg we all have or did it sound like they were actually given a master tape?

Hell, I remember driving with my buddies with the top down (yes, I also had the top down listening to LET'S GET ROCKIN' in my buddy's Mustang) almost 20 years ago, blaring that on the highway. When it finished, my friend said, "That was awesome." He'd never heard it. I said simply: "Yup. They should get back together and put it on a real album." I remember thinking that for years. There's just something top down about that song.

twonabomber
10-08-2020, 07:23 PM
Sound was pretty clean

Hardrock69
10-08-2020, 07:36 PM

One thing that helped me when my Mom died was that I had to renovate the family house in order to get it in shape to sell. It took me 18 months, and I was glad to have something to keep my mind occupied.

Wolfy will have a lot to deal with, and keeping busy is good therapy at a time like this. Better than massive alcohol and drugs.

SuchGoodPhotog
10-08-2020, 07:42 PM
:rolleyes: good points.

Matt White
10-08-2020, 07:51 PM
Didnt Mikey have to bury a grandchild a couple years ago? That kind of thing can really age a Grandpa fast.

I seen it happen to my one of my own Gramps and he was so heartbroken he wore it on his face until he died.

Mike did lose a grandchild...and guess who donated to the charitable organization Mike was raising money for? Yup...our man DIAMOND DAVID LEE ROTH ponied up 10K! I remember Mike saying how touched he was & he even contacted Dave to thank him.

Terry
10-08-2020, 08:01 PM

The terrestrial classic rock radio stations down here commenting on Ed's passing would invariably play several tunes of CVH material as a rock block tribute. Which is pretty much reflective of what they had been doing prior, anyway: very heavy on the CVH, with very little Van Hagar being played.

Ed's legend was pretty much cemented by the time 1984 rolled around, anyway. Van Hagar had several hits, but far as guitar work goes, Ed had already done all he ever needed to before Hagar joined the band in terms of establishing himself as one of the all time greats of rock guitar.

twonabomber
10-08-2020, 08:05 PM
I'm listening to How Many Say I, because I know you all hate it!

Terry
10-08-2020, 08:10 PM

Dunno if it's necessarily money grubbing that would be the motivation, or the sole or primary motivation. It may be. I don't know any of the people involved. They could all be a greedy bunch.

Could be that the Van Halens had already been looking at whatever archived, previously unreleased material was kicking around 5150 before Eddie passed, in terms of a hypothetical vault release.

As a fan, honestly I can't say I'd care much one way or the other what motivations were behind that type of project, long as it was released. Sort of along the lines of my not really caring if, say, Ed and Dave were getting along or not: I just wanted to see and hear them play, and the state of their friendship - or lack thereof - mattered not to me.

Matt White
10-08-2020, 08:13 PM
Van Halen Album & Song Sales Spike by More Than 6,000% After Eddie Van Halen's Death
By Keith Caulfield
After the death of Eddie Van Halen on Oct. 6, the band Van Halen, which he co-founded, saw its catalog of albums and songs post a 6,198% sales increase in the U.S. that same day.

According to initial sales reports to Nielsen Music/MRC Data, Van Halen’s collected albums and songs sold 40,000 copies on Oct. 6 -- up 6,198% compared to just under 1,000 sold on Oct. 5.

Looking just at the band’s album sales, the act’s catalog sold 9,000 copies on Oct. 6 (up by 5,835% compared to a negligible sum on Oct. 5). The act’s top-selling album on Oct. 6 was its self-titled 1978 debut, with 2,000 sold.

Forever No. 1: Van Halen's 'Jump'
In terms of songs, the group sold 31,000 tracks on Oct. 6 -- up 6,317% compared to less than 1,000 sold on Oct. 5.

Van Halen’s top 10 biggest-selling songs on Oct. 6 were: “Jump” (3,000), “Panama” (2,000), “Eruption” (2,000), “Runnin’ With the Devil” (2,000), “You Really Got Me” (2,000), “Dance the Night Away” (1,000), “Why Can’t This Be Love” (1,000), “Hot for Teacher” (1,000), “Ain’t Talkin’ ‘Bout Love” (1,000) and “Jamie’s Cryin’” (1,000). (Figures are rounded to the nearest thousand.)

“Jump” was Van Halen’s only No. 1 hit, among 16 top 40 hits, on the Billboard Hot 100 chart, spending five weeks atop the list in 1984.

News on any further sales gains, as well as significant streaming increases, will be reported in the coming days. It’s expected that Van Halen may impact a number of Billboard’s charts (dated Oct. 17) next week.

twonabomber
10-08-2020, 08:19 PM
I dunno.

Look at what the Prince Estate has done. Some of the releases are very, very good, and some are just meh. The Versace Experience comes to mind. Sounds like a fucking cassette. The Sign O' the Times set, though...fucking brilliant.

Does Wolfgang or whoever decide to just roll out new colors for the guitars every year?

Speaking of which...I have a Slime Green Wolfgang on the way...figured I'd pull the trigger before I can't find one.

Seshmeister
10-08-2020, 08:24 PM
This is not like Prince.

Prince had tons of stuff recorded but was also releasing a huge amount right up to his death.

As I have said before, the idea that Eddie had 10 albums of great material but chose to release Up for breakfast or instead use old demos for ADKOT is ridiculous.

Also in what crazy dark as fuck scenario do you have his family saying 'finally he is dead now we can release that stuff he didn't want released to increase our fortunes by 1%'?

It's all nonsense that we will be reading about for years now.

twonabomber
10-08-2020, 08:37 PM
The Prince Estate got a lil' taste of money and went OFF. The nowhere near finished book that got released proved it.

twonabomber
10-08-2020, 08:39 PM
I didn't see this a few years ago...funny

5 Crazy Stories from Eddie Van Halen’s Weekend With Thomas Dolby

A stone statue, the film This is Spinal Tap and the ozone layer all took a beating when Thomas Dolby spent a weekend at Eddie Van Halen's home, as the pop star explains in his new book.

You may know only know Dolby from his 1982 pop smash "She Blinded Me With Science," but as The Speed of Sound: Breaking the Barriers Between Music and Technology makes clear, he's led a remarkably diverse and successful career as a composer, performer, producer and technology pioneer. He's also collaborated with a dizzying array of musicians, including the Grateful Dead, David Bowie, George Clinton and Def Leppard.

The story of his collaboration with Van Halen's resident guitar genius begins innocently enough, with Eddie being asked to contribute to two songs ("Eastern Bloc" and "Close But No Cigar") on Dolby's 1992 album Astronauts & Heretics. Van Halen explained that his group was in the middle of recording their 1991 effort For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge, but invited Dolby up to his home recording studio to squeeze in a couple days of work. Dolby says he soon realized, though, that "every hour of [Van Halen's] day was like a scene from Spinal Tap." Here's five of the best examples:

First Rule: No 'Spinal Tap' Jokes

When Dolby tried to break the ice by quoting a famous This is Spinal Tap line about sustain to Van Halen, he was met with a blank stare. When he asked if the guitarist had ever seen the famous rock music mockumentary, Eddie replied, "Yeah, dude, we saw that piece of shit." He then went on to explain, "We didn't think it was funny. It was like, someone followed us around with a camera, put it up on a screen, and everybody fell over laughing."

Andy Johns Vs. The Statue

Legendary producer and engineer Andy Johns (Exile on Main Street, Physical Graffiti and many, many more) was working with in the studio with Van Halen when Dolby visited. Apparently having overindulged a bit, Johns excused himself from the session early. Soon after he left, there was a "deafening crash." Dolby and his host ran outside, to see that Johns had reversed his large mauve Cadillac convertible into a stone statue. "He's knocked an arm off one of the statues," Van Halen complained, adding that his then-wife, actress Valerie Bertinelli, "[is] gonna kill me."

No Privacy

Dolby was surprised to learn that even in his secluded home property, rock's most famous guitarist was under surveillance. As the pair took the short drive from Eddie's 5150 home studio to his house in a custom-painted golf cart, Dolby "suddenly heard the honking of horns and shrill distant cries of 'EDDIE! EDDIE! YEAH!!' High up above his property a group of fans had parked their trucks and hot rods on a scenic overlook... and they were screaming and flashing their headlights, amazed to get an actual sighting of their favorite guitar god."

Eddie Vs. The Environment

Apparently, the importance of energy conservation hadn't hit home with Eddie just yet. Dolby says as soon as they arrived home from the studio, Van Halen plopped down in an oversized armchair and hit the remote control to turn on the massive gas fireplace "with a loud whooooomf!" This prompted a swift rebuke from Bertinelli: "Eddie! It's ninety degrees out!" "Crank up the AC then, would you babe?" Eddie replied, "I'm beat."

Alex Van Halen Vs. Outside Interests

Prior to his visit, Van Halen had warned Dolby that his bandmates, in particular his drummer brother Alex Van Halen, wasn't thrilled with the notion of Eddie working on other people's albums. During a chance meeting with Alex in the kitchen, Dolby decided to find out the truth for himself. "I hear you're not nuts about Eddie playing on my album?" He asked. "You got that right, bro," the drummer responded. "Last time we let him do that, he did a solo on that little fucker Michael Jackson's [Thriller] record. That was the only reason [Van Halen's subsequent album] 1984 got stuck at No. 2."

https://ultimateclassicrock.com/eddie-van-halen-thomas-dolby-stories/

SuchGoodPhotog
10-08-2020, 09:19 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZtQR24ouV8&feature=emb_title

twonabomber
10-08-2020, 09:20 PM
I'm off for a week, might go check it out. Rock Hall memberships are currently 50% off and I haven't renewed yet this year.

Here Are All the Eddie Van Halen Guitars and Gear You Can See at the Rock Hall

Posted By Jeff Niesel on Wed, Oct 7, 2020 at 1:53 pm

As you can imagine, the Rock Hall has a number of items from the late Eddie Van Halen, who passed away yesterday. The Van Halen guitarist was inducted into the Rock Hall in 2007.

The Rock Hall supplied us with the following descriptions of his gear that's currently on display.

Outside of the Garage, the Rock Hall has Van Halen’s 1994 Peavey EVH Wolfgang Prototype, his second collaboration with a guitar manufacturer to produce a signature instrument. Made by noted luthier Jim DeCola, the prototype predates the production model by two years, and Van Halen used it to record at his 5150 Studios.

Named after Van Halen’s son, the Wolfgang was manufactured in two stock models and could be custom-ordered.

On Level O at the Rock Hall, you can see a 2012 Wolfgang/Eruption guitar. It features a basswood body with carved maple top, a quarter sawn maple neck with ebony fingerboard. It features a hand-sprayed “rattlecan” white finish with black stripes, two humbuckers with volume and tone controls, a pickup selector and momentary kill switch. The 2012 EVH Wolfgang was custom-made for Van Halen by Chip Ellis for the band's 2012 Japanese tour and live album. Although this Wolfgang is Van Halen’s modern/current design, the finish is a throw-back to the Eruption guitar graphic and was sprayed in the same fashion as the original was sprayed back in 1978 – outdoors on Van Halen’s property using lacquer “rattlecans.”

On Level 6, you can see Van Halen’s massive rig. A self-taught guitarist, Van Halen “created a new vocabulary on his instrument through an array of jaw-dropping, never-before-heard, innovative playing techniques such as two-handed tapping, in which both hands sound the strings from the fingerboard, which allowed him to produce fluid phrases at dizzying speeds,” as it's put in the description that accompanies the display

His use of “dive bombing,” depressing and releasing the vibrato bar to "create dramatic descents and ascents in pitch, drove innovations in guitar design such as the locking vibrato system and ushered in new standards in virtuosic rock guitar performance."

The Rock Hall display features a reconstruction of his rig as it appeared onstage in 2012 in North America and 2013 in Australia, Japan and North America. It includes amplifier speaker cabinets, tube-powered amplifiers (heads) and effects units. He used the pedal board from the late '90s into the early 2000s, and the sixth floor display includes a replica of the 1978 White with Black Stripe “Super Strat” that Van Halen conceived and built himself. In addition, there’s a replica of Van Halen's '79 “Bumblebee” Black with Yellow Stripe “Super Strat” guitar that he intended to be the second generation and improved version of the 1978 White with Black Stripe Stratocaster.

“While it never quite lived up to his expectations, and frustrated Van Halen in the process,” reads the Rock Hall’s description of the Bumbleee, “it did spawn one of Eddie’s most adored stripe color themes of black with yellow stripes.”

The exhibit even includes a replica of Frankenstein, Van Halen’s most famous and well-known guitar.

Van Halen discusses his rig and his unique approach to playing guitar in a videotaped interview that shows just what a musical genius he was.

https://www.clevescene.com/scene-and-heard/archives/2020/10/07/heres-all-the-eddie-van-halen-guitars-and-gear-you-can-see-at-the-rock-hall

DONNIEP
10-08-2020, 09:21 PM
My memory is kinda shaky at this point, seeing as how I turn 50 next month. But I think the first time I heard a Van Halen record was when I was either nine or ten. I’ve always loved music and when I was a little kid I had this Sesame Street AM radio. And my favorite station was out of Charlotte, AM 61 Big Ways. It was a pop/rock station and they played Reeling In The Years a couple times a day. Still my favorite song of all time. Anyways, I don’t remember if they played any VH. If they did I just don’t remember. What I do remember is being at my next door neighbor Tony’s house one day in ‘79 or ‘80 and we were in his older brother Kevin’s room listening to some KISS records, coincidentally. Now, Kevin had this big ass bookcase slap full of records, thinking back it seemed like hundreds of records. Kevin was never home but we had his permission to listen to his records so long as we put them back where they were. And one day I was looking thru them and came across VH 1. I’m not going to look up the track list but I know the first song we listened to was RWTD. And I was blown away. And from that moment, Van Fucking Halen was my favorite band.

In junior high and high school I had VH pictures in my lockers at school, along with Heather Thomas (I got in deep shit for that one lol) and other hot chicks. In high school I drew the VH logo on most of my notebooks and in 10th grade I almost got suspended for carving that logo into the top of my desk in German class lol. Damn thing took me a couple days to do. I spray painted a pair of Vans Eddie style in fluorescent green and black and then a pair of Chucks red white and black. My cassette tape carrier I kept in my car was mostly Van Halen. And I wore those things out!

My daughter discovered VH on her own when she was maybe 10 or so. Then she discovered Yankee Rose and she used to blast the shit out of it. Then in 2012 she did a solo dance in dance class to Stay Frosty. That same year she asked if she could go with me to the VH show. We went and Momshell posted live updates from me from the show. My kid had a blast.

I know I’ve been critical of Ed - and that’s documented here on this site. But his and Dave’s music have been a part of my life for 40 years. My daughter texted me a couple hours after the news broke to ask if I’d heard. Full circle, from that first listen to my 20 year old daughter asking if I’d heard Ed had passed.

Rock In Peace, Edward. Not just from me, but from a kid who blasted you guys’ music and danced her heart out to one of your songs...And with that - I think it’s time to crack one open and blast Unchained as loud as I can. Apologies to my neighbors..

Seshmeister
10-08-2020, 09:42 PM
It's not on YouTube or I would have linked to it so you could see it too (UK people can see on ITVHub Good Morning Britain) but maybe the most touching thing I've seen so far is Pierce fucking Morgan interviewing Gene Simmons about Eddie, These are by all standards two pretty fucking flawed individuals and watching them in particular Simmons breaking down affected me.

Seshmeister
10-08-2020, 09:53 PM
I know I’ve been critical of Ed - and that’s documented here on this site. But his and Dave’s music have been a part of my life for 40 years. My daughter texted me a couple hours after the news broke to ask if I’d heard. Full circle, from that first listen to my 20 year old daughter asking if I’d heard Ed had passed.

This is the thing. It's the difference between really good and legend.

I saw it happen with a Prince fan(atic)friend when he checked out and I think many of us maybe had those messages I know I did.

'Just heard the news are you ok?' 'Fuck EVH died first thing i thought was you?'

twonabomber
10-08-2020, 09:59 PM
Friend of mine messaged and asked if I was okay. Got on FB and...shit. I had just gotten into the break room, I was at work.

I was off the day Prince went and that was probably a good thing. Michael Hutchence, too.

Oddly enough, I was at work when I heard about Michael Jackson...

twonabomber
10-08-2020, 10:06 PM
Star Fleet is currently cranked to the stratosphere...

FORD
10-08-2020, 10:47 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zux1-a2rRHc

Rikk
10-08-2020, 11:31 PM
Mike did lose a grandchild...and guess who donated to the charitable organization Mike was raising money for? Yup...our man DIAMOND DAVID LEE ROTH ponied up 10K! I remember Mike saying how touched he was & he even contacted Dave to thank him.

I thought that was awesome too. Class act. These guys have had a shitty few years.

TJMKID
10-09-2020, 12:33 AM

Pretty damn classy move by Dave, but then again we always knew he was classy or else this site wouldn't even exist. They usually don't devote fan sites to douchebags.

One reason I heard EVH held a grudge against Mikey since 2004 is that Mike didnt attend Ed and Al's mother's funeral when she died in 2005. I think Dave didnt attend either but he at least reached out to Ed and Alex to offer his condolences. So it's probably not the sole reason Ed has held this grudge but it definitely contributed in some way. Also explains why Ed didnt contribute to Mike's charity after his grandchild passed away. Bitterness all around.

Vinnie Velvet
10-09-2020, 09:54 AM
Pretty damn classy move by Dave, but then again we always knew he was classy or else this site wouldn't even exist. They usually don't devote fan sites to douchebags.

One reason I heard EVH held a grudge against Mikey since 2004 is that Mike didnt attend Ed and Al's mother's funeral when she died in 2005. I think Dave didnt attend either but he at least reached out to Ed and Alex to offer his condolences. So it's probably not the sole reason Ed has held this grudge but it definitely contributed in some way. Also explains why Ed didnt contribute to Mike's charity after his grandchild passed away. Bitterness all around.

Heck, even at the height of the Dave-VH feud, Dave still reached out to Ed and called him when Jan passed away in 1986.

Vinnie Velvet
10-09-2020, 09:58 AM
As far as the VH vaults are concerned, I'd be interested in hearing the Dave 5150 demos from 1985 before the split.

Dave has said he had worked on half of the record. Alex and Mike both have said they have demos of Dave singing on what would become songs "Summer Nights" and "Good Enough".

Also, what about the 2000-01 sessions? The songs that Dave once described as "The hands fell off the clock.." way back. Or were some of those re-worked for some of the new songs on ADKOT?

Then of course there may be video footage. I think Wolf is sitting on a bunch of stuff.

We may see some released at some point.

Von Halen
10-09-2020, 10:25 AM
As far as the VH vaults are concerned, I'd be interested in hearing the Dave 5150 demos from 1985 before the split.

Dave has said he had worked on half of the record. Alex and Mike both have said they have demos of Dave singing on what would become songs "Summer Nights" and "Good Enough".

Also, what about the 2000-01 sessions? The songs that Dave once described as "The hands fell off the clock.." way back. Or were some of those re-worked for some of the new songs on ADKOT?

Then of course there may be video footage. I think Wolf is sitting on a bunch of stuff.

Of course I'm interested in all this. But I'm really hoping for official releases of some of the old live shows, on video. If I owned Netflix, I'd be standing on Wolf's front porch with a blank check.

ZahZoo
10-09-2020, 11:52 AM
If I were to advise... I'd send Netflix and their blank check to Alex's house first.

Wolfgang may be Ed's heir... but I believe Alex most likely holds the managing seat at the table for the legacy Van Halen catalog and assets. Wolf joined the band 13 years ago at age 16... I don't think he even had a driver's license let alone the legal ability to be a corporate share-holder in the Van Halen Inc business end of things...

Let's not forget the older brother of the band's namesake is still alive... despite his epic run-in with Catfish™ many years ago...

Jetstream
10-09-2020, 01:48 PM

The verdict is already out... seems only the Dave albums are receiving any interest :)

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/eddie-van-halen-streams-1072738/?fbclid=IwAR1heIQIFQqtSvDCYlke8DbOmDrOx0c13Y9nESv8 DaQdJagnE3OxaJkbjrs

Vinnie Velvet
10-09-2020, 03:26 PM
The verdict is already out... seems only the Dave albums are receiving any interest :)

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/eddie-van-halen-streams-1072738/?fbclid=IwAR1heIQIFQqtSvDCYlke8DbOmDrOx0c13Y9nESv8 DaQdJagnE3OxaJkbjrs

As if there was any doubt.

In all honesty, Ed did some cool things on the Hagar albums despite Spammy's annoying vocals and corny lyrics.

But its the six pack that everyone will always want to hear and the albums that set the world ON FIRE!

Rikk
10-09-2020, 03:32 PM
As if there was any doubt.

In all honesty, Ed did some cool things on the Hagar albums despite Spammy's annoying vocals and corny lyrics.

But its the six pack that everyone will always want to hear and the albums that set the world ON FIRE!

I noticed this during this week. I've obviously (like all of us) been listening to so much VH this week. And a lot of fans here would be lying if they claimed they've listened only to Dave material...but I've noticed that I've dug out songs from the non-Dave albums only because I wanted to hear an Ed part I remember loving (e.g. his solo on GET UP). I listened to BLACK 'N' BLUE the other night because I just love the simple riff and the groove the band has. And it had been a while: I said out loud to my wife, "Jesus, I forgot how fucking terrible these lyrics are!!"

Seshmeister
10-09-2020, 03:32 PM
I saw Back in Black was in the charts there and then thought for a second Ratt were too but it turns out it was someone called Cardi B... :)

Vinnie Velvet
10-09-2020, 03:33 PM
From Nuno Bettencourt's Instagram post:

"Once upon a time in Hollywood, recently, while recording the latest EXTREME album in my home studio I got a call to come down to the front of my house, that someone is asking for me. I was like, damn that's annoying as I was in the zone cutting a guitar solo to a new song called RISE. I dropped my guitar and headed down. I walk out and... I was being summoned by the one and only... Edward. As usual I got a warm hug and kiss from Eddie. Even as a God, he always made you feel important.

"He was in great spirits. A proud dad, bragging about how Wolfie's new solo album is gonna blow minds, etc... What's cool though, was the last thing Eddie talked about. He said he was super excited about reaching out to Michael Anthony to finally put the original VH lineup back together. Saying that he wanted to do one final tour and have VAN HALEN go out the way they came in...Together... Guns Blazing!

"Finally as Eddie said his goodbye, he asked about the new EXTREME album that we were recording up in the house. As we hugged, he says: 'I'll be back to listen to it when you're done,' and with a sinister raspy laugh, adds 'it better be good'.

"Finished it. Then. PANDEMIC.

"Man, I was like a kid, counting the Covid Days down to when I could blare the new EXTREME album in the studio, sitting side by side with My Hero, the GOAT, selfishly wanting to play him all the new guitar work that shamelessly, but with pride has his DNA all over my playing. I guess that moment wasn't meant to be...

"It's incredible how as a young player, your guitar chord, is the umbilical chord that intimately connects you to someone you may never meet, moreso than even someone in your own family. At the drop of a needle or the touch of a space bar. They are there for you 24/7. As Eddie was... and forever will be.

"Thank you for shaping who I am today.

"Love you, Edward. You are the ONE."

Rikk
I saw Back in Black was in the charts there and then thought for a second Ratt were too but it turns out it was someone called Cardi B... :)

We're all old, aren't we?

Seshmeister
Star Fleet is currently cranked to the stratosphere...

Well we nearly lost Brian May this year too...

Rikk
10-09-2020, 03:35 PM

"Once upon a time in Hollywood, recently, while recording the latest EXTREME album in my home studio I got a call to come down to the front of my house, that someone is asking for me. I was like, damn that's annoying as I was in the zone cutting a guitar solo to a new song called RISE. I dropped my guitar and headed down. I walk out and... I was being summoned by the one and only... Edward. As usual I got a warm hug and kiss from Eddie. Even as a God, he always made you feel important.

"He was in great spirits. A proud dad, bragging about how Wolfie's new solo album is gonna blow minds, etc... What's cool though, was the last thing Eddie talked about. He said he was super excited about reaching out to Michael Anthony to finally put the original VH lineup back together. Saying that he wanted to do one final tour and have VAN HALEN go out the way they came in...Together... Guns Blazing!

"Finally as Eddie said his goodbye, he asked about the new EXTREME album that we were recording up in the house. As we hugged, he says: 'I'll be back to listen to it when you're done,' and with a sinister raspy laugh, adds 'it better be good'.

"Man, I was like a kid, counting the Covid Days down to when I could blare the new EXTREME album in the studio, sitting side by side with My Hero, the GOAT, selfishly wanting to play him all the new guitar work that shamelessly, but with pride has his DNA all over my playing. I guess that moment wasn't meant to be...

"It's incredible how as a young player, your guitar chord, is the umbilical chord that intimately connects you to someone you may never meet, moreso than even someone in your own family. At the drop of a needle or the touch of a space bar. They are there for you 24/7. As Eddie was... and forever will be.

Kick-ass.

And so fucking sad.

Seshmeister
10-09-2020, 03:36 PM
We're all old, aren't we?

It's when you realize Van Halen were in their early 50s when they reformed...

Vinnie Velvet
10-09-2020, 03:36 PM
I noticed this during this week. I've obviously (like all of us) been listening to so much VH this week. And a lot of fans here would be lying if they claimed they've listened only to Dave material...but I've noticed that I've dug out songs from the non-Dave albums only because I wanted to hear an Ed part I remember loving (e.g. his solo on GET UP). I listened to BLACK 'N' BLUE the other night because I just love the simple riff and the groove the band has. And it had been a while: I said out loud to my wife, "Jesus, I forgot how fucking terrible these lyrics are!!"

Rikk, brother, how ya holding up.

I'm still down about Ed's passing. This will linger for a while I think.

As for Black and Blue - I liked the groove as well. But goddman Hagar ruins it. lol

Seshmeister
10-09-2020, 03:47 PM
The Prince Estate got a lil' taste of money and went OFF. The nowhere near finished book that got released proved it.

What do you think of the SOTT package?

My friend was pissed off to find out this week he is getting hit for $50 import duty ordering it from the UK.

Matt White
10-09-2020, 03:48 PM

Fuckng PERFECT. My respect for Nuno just went thru the roof.

Rikk
10-09-2020, 04:00 PM
I dunno.

Look at what the Prince Estate has done. Some of the releases are very, very good, and some are just meh. The Versace Experience comes to mind. Sounds like a fucking cassette. The Sign O' the Times set, though...fucking brilliant.

Does Wolfgang or whoever decide to just roll out new colors for the guitars every year?

Speaking of which...I have a Slime Green Wolfgang on the way...figured I'd pull the trigger before I can't find one.

The PURPLE RAIN and 1999 sets were brilliant too. So much good stuff. But SIGN was what I was most waiting for...

I love how each set is not TOO over-priced, has truly unreleased material, laps up all the b-sides/remixes (though I never cared much for remixes) and consistently includes video/film vault material.

Rikk
10-09-2020, 04:07 PM
Rikk, brother, how ya holding up.

I'm still down about Ed's passing. This will linger for a while I think.

As for Black and Blue - I liked the groove as well. But goddman Hagar ruins it. lol

VV, so good to see such stellar comradeship in these here parts!

I'm holding up best I can. Last night, while making dinner (I HAVE NO SHAME IN SAYING THIS)...I started talking about what happened this week to my wife. She and I have lost a child, so we know pain. And I don't cry about every little thing. But I started talking about Ed dying, and then, next thing I knew, I realized tears were coming out of my eyes. She walked over and hugged me for like a minute. And I fucking cried. She stepped back and I said to her: "I loved this guy. He was a fucking hero. I met him once and he was so nice to me. Eddie Van Halen is fucking DEAD!!! How can this be?" And she hugged me again.

I cannot believe how much this has hit me.

twonabomber
10-09-2020, 04:08 PM
What do you think of the SOTT package?

So far I like it. I would have liked to have Dream Factory in it's intended order and not have to piece it together myself, but that's a small complaint. I haven't been through the book yet. I still have the 12" remix maxi-singles that I bought in '87...from the same record store!

twonabomber
10-09-2020, 04:12 PM
I'm in a David Letterman group on FB. When someone dies, the admin puts together a video. This has Hagar on it, but the first part's okay

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vHL4gyYjnY&feature=youtu.be&fbclid=IwAR2NWI0DriOLaKzvYWVSJnPQHJzVltIVZV89UvboY tOs1P47POOSselF3i8

Rikk
10-09-2020, 04:13 PM
Fuckng PERFECT. My respect for Nuno just went thru the roof.

The only thing I never understood about Nuno was his taste in singers. I don't care what anyone says: Gary Cherone is a wailing idiot. That III album admittedly has a lot of really good guitar-playing, but virtually every track is ruined with some freak singing about whitemen getting a tan, going on about being a red-blood heterosexual peeping at girls and liking what he sees.

Holy fuck, Watson. Someone misplaced the cocaine and replaced it with Ajax.

Rikk
10-09-2020, 04:14 PM
I'm in a David Letterman group on FB. When someone dies, the admin puts together a video. This has Hagar on it, but the first part's okay

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vHL4gyYjnY&feature=youtu.be&fbclid=IwAR2NWI0DriOLaKzvYWVSJnPQHJzVltIVZV89UvboY tOs1P47POOSselF3i8

You didn't take out your lighter and sing along to NOT ENOUGH?

twonabomber
10-09-2020, 04:16 PM
The PURPLE RAIN and 1999 sets were brilliant too. So much good stuff. But SIGN was what I was most waiting for...

I love how each set is not TOO over-priced, has truly unreleased material, laps up all the b-sides/remixes (though I never cared much for remixes) and consistently includes video/film vault material.

Did PR have the birthday show at First Avenue? I don't remember. Makings Of Rain is what the bootleg was called.

I have a boot of the birthday show from Detroit when Cherry Moon came out, would like to see an official release of that. 2026 for forty year anniversary...maybe they'll do 35 instead. But the movie was SHIT. Graffiti Bridge, too!

Matt White
10-09-2020, 04:18 PM

If memory serves me right, which it might not...gonna be 53 in 4 months...I'm as old as Ed was on that 2007-08 tour :O
Hasn't Dave mentioned an aborted attempt to make a VH movie around the time of Women and Children First?!?
THAT'S the SHIT I wanna see! Break open the vault & show us ANY live footage of the Fantastic Foursome at their peak!
Even that 8mm footage of the opening night '79 from FRESNO is beyond BAD ASS! I really hope Wolfie digs thru everything...and lets the younger generation see his Dad & Uncle AL when they were in all their live glory. I really want some footage on par with that ZEP DVD from the early 2000's. People need to be reminded just how powerful The Mighty Van Halen were "Once Upon a Time'.

Matt White
10-09-2020, 04:21 PM
The only thing I never understood about Nuno was his taste in singers. I don't care what anyone says: Gary Cherone is a wailing idiot. That III album admittedly has a lot of really good guitar-playing, but virtually every track is ruined with some freak singing about whitemen getting a tan, going on about being a red-blood heterosexual peeping at girls and liking what he sees.

Holy fuck, Watson. Someone misplaced the cocaine and replaced it with Ajax.

Yessir....GRATE pipes but that boy ain't right! LMAO Cherone was pretty good in Extreme...awful with VH. Just "another" singer in Dave's band...who couldn't hold a candle to DLR when it comes to lyrics.

Rikk
10-09-2020, 04:25 PM
Did PR have the birthday show at First Avenue? I don't remember. Makings Of Rain is what the bootleg was called.

I have a boot of the birthday show from Detroit when Cherry Moon came out, would like to see an official release of that. 2026 for forty year anniversary...maybe they'll do 35 instead. But the movie was SHIT. Graffiti Bridge, too!

PR had the typical old VHS/Laserdisc show from Syracuse...but great to get a really good copy of that show. It's a classic.

CHERRY MOON was...I don't think it's as bad as some say. It's definitely better than GB. THAT WAS BAD!! The music from that period is amazing, though. To me, I even like the Batman stuff. It's about DIAMONDS & PEARLS that some of the material starts to sound...tired.

Vinnie Velvet
10-09-2020, 04:27 PM
If memory serves me right, which it might not...gonna be 53 in 4 months...I'm as old as Ed was on that 2007-08 tour :O
Hasn't Dave mentioned an aborted attempt to make a VH movie around the time of Women and Children First?!?
THAT'S the SHIT I wanna see! Break open the vault & show us ANY live footage of the Fantastic Foursome at their peak!
Even that 8mm footage of the opening night '79 from FRESNO is beyond BAD ASS! I really hope Wolfie digs thru everything...and lets the younger generation see his Dad & Uncle AL when they were in all their live glory. I really want some footage on par with that ZEP DVD from the early 2000's. People need to be reminded just how powerful The Mighty Van Halen were "Once Upon a Time'.

I agree.

Wolf is sitting on a goldmine of stuff. In time we will see and hear it.

twonabomber
10-09-2020, 04:28 PM
I forgot about Syracuse.

Go find Makings Of Rain if you don't have it.

Vinnie Velvet
10-09-2020, 04:28 PM
VV, so good to see such stellar comradeship in these here parts!

I'm holding up best I can. Last night, while making dinner (I HAVE NO SHAME IN SAYING THIS)...I started talking about what happened this week to my wife. She and I have lost a child, so we know pain. And I don't cry about every little thing. But I started talking about Ed dying, and then, next thing I knew, I realized tears were coming out of my eyes. She walked over and hugged me for like a minute. And I fucking cried. She stepped back and I said to her: "I loved this guy. He was a fucking hero. I met him once and he was so nice to me. Eddie Van Halen is fucking DEAD!!! How can this be?" And she hugged me again.

I cannot believe how much this has hit me.

Yeah this one really hurts.

And its going to hurt for a while.

Rikk
10-09-2020, 04:31 PM

Yes, my very dear friend...not only Dave but band employees have completely confirmed that the band had a film crew following them for a few dates on the WACF tour and at least a few shows were filmed/recorded. I think there might be a pic or two out there confirming a show or two with film cameras visible on-stage. They filmed on-stage AND off-stage antics of this amazing band at an early peak, on the road in America and living the rock 'n' roll life in their mid-20s. If they somehow found this footage and proper multi-tracks, it would be the holy grail...possibly even more-so than the Oakland '81 footage. But who knows if it still exists? Ed built his studio in '83. But he was still a drunk...and he didn't have the best personal management. So who knows if he really put out the effort to dig up and locate all the old multi-tracks and footage that was already floating around before 5150 was built. He just never struck me as someone who had the prolific & organized nature Frank Zappa had with his vaults.

Fuck...this whole vault topic needs its own thread, methinks. I might get on that later.

Rikk
10-09-2020, 04:33 PM
Yessir....GRATE pipes but that boy ain't right! LMAO Cherone was pretty good in Extreme...awful with VH. Just "another" singer in Dave's band...who couldn't hold a candle to DLR when it comes to lyrics.

You and I have probably discussed this a million times in the past, sir...but who do you think was worse? Sam or Gary?

Rikk
10-09-2020, 04:35 PM
I forgot about Syracuse.

Go find Makings Of Rain if you don't have it.

I definitely don't have that. I need to check that out...

Wait a minute...I MAY HAVE IT!! I have an unofficial box set of radio concerts, and one of them is a birthday show. I need to check the date on that. Haven't cracked it open yet.

Rikk
10-09-2020, 04:36 PM
Yeah this one really hurts.

And its going to hurt for a while.

Yes. Yes, it is.

Vinnie Velvet
10-09-2020, 04:56 PM
New Ted Templeman interview. Its a hard read at times.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-features/ted-templeman-producer-eddie-van-halen-interview-1073080/

WARF
10-09-2020, 05:10 PM
https://scontent.fmia1-2.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/fr/cp0/e15/q65/120874746_3805403596171781_3066894433659666116_n.j pg?_nc_cat=109&_nc_sid=ca434c&efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9&_nc_ohc=pi4KtcggYCEAX_Zwqa5&_nc_ht=scontent.fmia1-2.fna&tp=14&oh=d28cdb6b82c4b5a0e04db7b505f5f64f&oe=5FA79000

FORD
10-09-2020, 06:37 PM
Ironic that Ted Templeman didn't like "Jump" or Eddie's use of synthesizers, since he also produced the Doobie Brothers, and had no problem with what Michael McDonald did to them, which was pretty much the equivalent of Hagarization.

SuchGoodPhotog
10-09-2020, 06:55 PM
how about a reunion tour with mitch malloy on vocals. :eek1:

i'm sad because VH was my first concert, and the last two i had tickets for were cancelled (DLR supposedly had a sore throat.

here's what i think i think: me wise and cant get this stuff were pretty great. BOBW was not. the first two extreme albums are pretty good and are so raunchy (counter to what most think about extreme). i like sammy and his songs, just not as much as dave and that's ok. and if others disagree that's ok too. eddie's a dick, i know it, and i'm willing to forgive. ADKT was mixed wrong and i wouldve removed one or two songs. they probably couldve just released Zero and called it a day, come out on top. mike is such a huge part of the sound. 3 is awful but there a couple of hooks. VH1 sounds like it's from the future. when tattoo came out and i heard those keys enter at 0:31 seconds, i got chills. diver down isnt as bad as ed thinks. dave may have ceded control for FW but all those early albums are in the same ballpark- monumental. AVH is the best drummer in rock.

*exception for drop dead legs

sorry, a random stream of consciousness.

PS: "we're back!!!" (who gets it)