PDA

View Full Version : "The best of both worlds":Why I won`t buy it

Mr Badguy
07-10-2004, 05:24 AM
What is the point of a 2CD Van Halen compilation that features less than 1 CD of what we all know are the classic years of VH.

The first CD manages to cram in songs spanning from "Van Halen" through "5150".

The whole of the second CD is full of Van Hagar.

At least if they had made the first CD all Dave, we could have thrown the second CD away.

If Eddie and the boys are stupid enough to ignore the legacy of their 1978-84 legacy then shame on them.

It`s as if they don`t want the fans from that era anymore.

Well, I for one will not be lining their pockets.

Panamark
07-10-2004, 06:37 AM
There is nothing on that CD the compells anyone to buy it.
Its virtually BOV1 with a couple of mediocre (at best) tunes
thrown on. Is there anyone of us here that hasnt arealdy
had free access to down load the new songs ? Like why
would we buy that shit ??

I think its going to tank. The people who would have
bought it, would already own BOV1

secrets
07-10-2004, 07:02 AM
Probably isn't intended for the fans but more for those who haven't ever been into VH but might have heard some of their new songs. This is I guess an introduction for those types in the hope they'll buy VH's back catalogue afterwards.

I see the future The Best of Both Worlds.....coming to a bargain bin in your local record store soon....let's hope. ;)

Panamark
07-10-2004, 07:06 AM
I still wouldnt buy if was being thrown out for $2.99
(As Van Halen III was)

secrets
07-10-2004, 08:47 AM
I'm not buying it either regardless of price. This is not for VH fans.
I'd like to see some quality full colour footage of the original line up in concert remastered on DVD. Will they ever release this kind of thing I wonder?

bru87tr
07-10-2004, 08:52 AM
Dave doesnt need the money so I wont support the cash in on an abortion!

yes secrets! we do indeed deserve some DVD concert of the original. shame on ed. if he isnt going to have dave in the band atleast release some old stuff. its money he wants anyway but it comes down to the old stuff embarrassing anything he is doing now and we all know he doesnt want to live in the past and be nostalgic.

god when the day comes for a dvd I will buy 2! one for safe keeping and one to play over and over.

ed if its money you want thats where it is. the old dave stuff in concert that has never been released on dvd.

Panamark
07-10-2004, 09:00 AM
Are Van Halen the only band from that era
to have not released live footage ?? Its fookin strange..

EbDawson
07-10-2004, 09:09 AM
Originally posted by Panamark
There is nothing on that CD the compells anyone to buy it.

What? You mean you don't want to hear Sammy singing Dave stuff live?

(He said with a heavy dose of sarcasm)

Big Troubles
07-10-2004, 09:14 AM
At this stage of the music game, Warner should have made them release their demo tracks into digital format and placed them on the CD along with the rest of the classic Dave fronted tunes on that BOV2 set. That would've given us a nice treat. But instead they ignore what the fans want yet again. This BOV2 wont reach 500,000 copies sold. VH3 all over again. They are an old tired act trying in vein to recapture what they had once and the world is laughing at their attempt at failure. Dave isn't trying to recapture anything. He is VH classic, everyone knows it when they see him or hear him. Nobody is too sure what the fuck Van Hagar is. Classic Van Halen is music to get fucked, drunk and party too. Van Hagar goes nicely with your morning Froot-Loops.

EbDawson
07-10-2004, 09:18 AM
Originally posted by secrets
I'd like to see some quality full colour footage of the original line up in concert remastered on DVD. Will they ever release this kind of thing I wonder?

Ed is about "moving forward, not looking back". This is why, if he has any say about it, we won't see any classic VH released on DVD/Live CDs. Of course they also start the Van Hagar shows with a Dave tune and butcher Unchained with Sammy on vocals. Go figure.

flappo
07-10-2004, 09:24 AM
i'll probably buy it

i'm running low on beer coasters

guwapo_rocker
07-10-2004, 09:26 AM
Originally posted by EbDawson
Ed is about "moving forward, not looking back". This is why, if he has any say about it, we won't see any classic VH released on DVD/Live CDs. Of course they also start the Van Hagar shows with a Dave tune and butcher Unchained with Sammy on vocals. Go figure.

Unfortunately Ed is now about staggering around cities

brown bagging a bottle of cheap plonk!

Matt White
07-10-2004, 09:29 AM
I'd pick it out of the bargain bin if I'm gonna shoot skeet later that day. What a utter waste of time and effort. I can just imagine how the decision took place to release it. Amid a sea of empty Colt 45 cans and empty vicodin bottles, the sisters imagine a horde of VH fans kicking their door down to buy BOV1 with a couple of CLASSIC VH tunes butchered by Spammy. Fuck Them!

Matt White
07-10-2004, 09:40 AM
I refuse to give Shemp Van Halen and his sister Eddie ANY more of my hard earned money! The only way those two fucks will ever see another NICKEL from me will be for a reunion tour of THE MIGHTY VAN HALEN!!!!!! No DIAMOND DAVID LEE ROTH.....NO FUCKING DICE!!!!!!!

secrets
07-10-2004, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by bru87tr
if he isnt going to have dave in the band atleast release some old stuff. its money he wants anyway but it comes down to the old stuff embarrassing anything he is doing now and we all know he doesnt want to live in the past and be nostalgic.

Too true. Ed really wants to believe that Van Hagar is better than the original line up, he's in denial though, deep down he knows how much better real Van Halen was.

BIGBADZERO
07-10-2004, 11:18 AM
So don't buy it.

bru87tr
07-10-2004, 12:23 PM
we wont bigbadloser! but you do have it right, your a bigbadloser. couldnt have said it better myself. dont some of you guys think before making a username ? spermmy swallowing fans really are morons!

keep sucking DLR's cock as you keep comming to your fav site! The DLRArmy!!!!!

funny thing is ed thinks he is not being nostalgic and thats exactly what he is doing with sam. sam isnt exactly a new member. lol

ed will always be trying to top vintage halen and he will die trying. such a shame he doesnt embrace it.

he hates that Dave is part of the reason they will always be legend status that is Classic Van Halen- The Original!

if ed doesnt bring Dave back he will always be remembered for burying Classic Halen and thats a shame. at his age he should be promoting the fuck out of it. if its glory of the past he is looking for thats exactly what he should do. biggest grossing concerts and merchandise up the wazoo!!!! instead he tries to make current VH bigger and that will never be. if ed really wants money why doesnt he get Clasic VH back ? cause he hates that the only way for that to happen is the man who had all the ideas , lyrics and basically managed that band and Ed sat back and played guitar. I think deep down ed hates being only a guitar player. why the fuck would he ever sing a song solo ?

its sad but ed his his own demon.

frets5150
07-10-2004, 01:34 PM
THANKS FOR YOUR 10 ALBUMS WORTH OF MUSIC ED

BARE BONE
07-10-2004, 02:14 PM
How will spammy enjoy the $6.99 buffets if you don't buy it.

Warham
07-10-2004, 02:19 PM
What a waste.

Towelie™
07-10-2004, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by BARE BONE
How will spammy enjoy the $6.99 buffets if you don't buy it.

You know, I swore I saw Spammy in Old Country Buffet today but it might not have been him.....

I was a little bit high :)

Matt White
07-10-2004, 05:03 PM
I was watching the Three Stooges when VH's drummer walked into the scene and got slapped by Moe. On my way to work I saw his sister Eddie in line outside the methadone clinic. I passed by MacDonalds though. Had no need to see Spammy selling cheese burgers to little kids.

Jano
07-10-2004, 05:18 PM
I'll love to buy a roll of toilet paper with Spammy's face print in it instead!

Matt White
07-10-2004, 05:27 PM
Just cut get a picture of Spammy and the Van Halen sister and tape it to the inside of your toliet seat. So, everytime your pissing, your looking at the biggest ASSHOLES IN THE HISTORY OF MUSIC!!!!!!!

rustoffa
07-10-2004, 08:10 PM
Originally posted by Panamark
Are Van Halen the only band from that era
to have not released live footage ?? Its fookin strange..

I've thought that myself bro. The Oakland show was supposedly
a WB backed thing to promote the record. Sao Paulo, Argentina,
etc, all "pro shot". Who is sitting on the film? The Argentina show
was taped for TV....would they throw it away? People that comment
on the drunken nature of the US Fest show really need to see that,
basically the same setlist and dead on. The "best of the best"
copies I've seen of any of these shows are marginal to say the
least. Who owns the rights and why aren't they out there?

degüello
07-11-2004, 09:50 PM
"The best of both worlds":Why I won`t buy it

I never considered buying it to be an option.

scottydabodi
07-11-2004, 10:08 PM
I ain't buying that shit because I already OWN the great albums of the original 6pack!!! I also have all the Dave solo albums... fuck Ed if he thinks I'm gonna give him a NICKEL with Sam in the band!!

Terry
07-11-2004, 10:27 PM
Can't imagine why any sheep would want to buy it.

You can get the three new Van Hagar songs off the net for free. In all honesty, if I had been able to do that with the two new classic lineup songs in 1996 I wouldn't have bought BOV1.

And it has so many of the BOV1 tracks on there already as to be an insult.

Will be interested to see what TheBOBW ends up selling. Presumably if you are a Van Hagar fan, you already own all that stuff anyway.

More to the point are the other posts wondering when the classic live footage floating out there will be released?

Look at what Zeppelin did. People had been passing the 1975 and 1979 live video around for years. Zep took the project on, cleaned it up, put it out and it sold like nobody's business.

I've got all the promos, 1983 Argentina, 1983 US Festival, 1984 Montreal, 1982 Largo, but all of it is however many generations old. And you know there's entire 1984 shows in the can. Plus 1981 Oakland.

Just doesn't make sense from a business point of view.

Wouldn't pay nickel one to see Van Hagar, but I'd shell out $50 easy for just an enitre 1981 Oakland show, remastered and cleaned up, never mind a 5 hour plus Zep style 2 DVD set from classic Halen.

Seshmeister
07-11-2004, 10:36 PM
The best hope now is that Oakland or Largo is released on DVD in a year or two when Eddie dies with a directors commentary by Dave.

Mr Badguy
07-12-2004, 07:30 AM
Originally posted by degüello
I never considered buying it to be an option.

No, I would have considered it if the 2CDs had been fifty/fifty.

Then we would have had a handy compilation of Dave era VH.

Then you could have treated the Van Hagar half like one of those bonus discs that you never listen to.

But no, they just had to put three or four Sammy tracks at the end of disc one to ruin it for fans of "classic" VH.

I`m sure plenty of you feel the same.

They`ve shot themselves in the foot.

tobinentinc
07-13-2004, 01:24 AM
It's gonna sell like . . . shit. I'm not going to buy the suggested retail price is like $25!! If ur a casual fan ur better off buying BOV1

Bill Lumbergh
07-13-2004, 03:02 AM
Originally posted by Terry

Wouldn't pay nickel one to see Van Hagar, but I'd shell out $50 easy for just an enitre 1981 Oakland show, remastered and cleaned up, never mind a 5 hour plus Zep style 2 DVD set from classic Halen.

Amen, I'd be more than willing to part with lots of my money if Ed opened up the vaults.

Warham
07-13-2004, 06:46 AM
I dunno why they aren't releasing any archive material yet. You just know they've got a shitload of stuff laying around Howdy Doody Mountain.

Panamark
07-13-2004, 06:59 AM
With a much bigger market than their current tour...

Halen High
07-13-2004, 08:23 AM
Even if the three new songs were killer I wouldn't buy it on principle, and I think it will bomb because a lot of fans feel this way.

degüello
07-13-2004, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by Halen High
... I wouldn't buy it on principle...

Exactly.

ULTRAMAN VH
07-13-2004, 09:14 PM
There is no way, I will purchase a cd with Hagar singing Dave era tunes. It is the Ultimate INSULT to the classic VH era and I want no part of this piece of garbage.

AJW
07-13-2004, 10:44 PM

The closest thing you can get right now is the Largo, MD '82 concert (which I think is the best bootleg concert with Dave) or the '83 US Festival. Here is a link below for anyone that is interested in buying DVD boots of VH.

http://www.btbproductions.net/

MAX
07-13-2004, 11:11 PM
Yep, Largo is incredible!!! I have it on VCD as well. There is no reason whatsoever why that shouldn't be available on DVD!!!!

I also know that several shows were filmed during the '84 tour. However, "Alexia" says that Dave's performance was "too embarrassing" to release? Fucking asshole!!!!

AJW
07-13-2004, 11:15 PM
Originally posted by MAX
Yep, Largo is incredible!!! I have it on VCD as well. There is no reason whatsoever why that shouldn't be available on DVD!!!!

I also know that several shows were filmed during the '84 tour. However, "Alexia" says that Dave's performance was "too embarrassing" to release? Fucking asshole!!!!

Largo is on DVD. If you want to call it that. I can understand you calling it a VCD as well.

Big Troubles
07-13-2004, 11:20 PM
Originally posted by MAX

I have most of the download to Montreal 1984 and Alex is full of shit, Dave rocks there as he did anywhere, anytime they hit the stage.
Its a crying shame that Alex should be allowed to continue breathing our (whats left of) clean air. That fucker should be the next test monkey on the Mars journey.

Matt White
07-13-2004, 11:22 PM
Have had the 82' US festival vhs boot for years! "YOU A ROWDY BUNCH OF MOTHER-FUCKERS!!!!!" was on my answering machine for a very long time. DAVE RULES! Fun, ever notice Ed's fuck uop during CATHEDREAL during this show? The reason Shemp Van Halen and his sister Eddie won't release any Dave Era shows is THEY KNOW DAMN WELL THAT IT WILL OVERSHADOW ANYTHING ELSE THEY EVER DO!!!!!!

Bob_R
07-14-2004, 12:13 AM
Originally posted by Terry
And you know there's entire 1984 shows in the can. Plus 1981 Oakland.

Just doesn't make sense from a business point of view.

but I'd shell out $50 easy for just an enitre 1981 Oakland show, remastered and cleaned up

I'd shell out $$ for a 1984 show. I'd love Oakland 1981, that would be fucking heaven.

And you're right it just doesn't make any business sense at all.

Probably, asshole Alex's doing more than Edward's.

Matt White
07-14-2004, 12:13 AM
Wonder what ever happened to the concert movie dave elluded to that was been consider/filmed back in the early 80's? Anybody know? That would be like the Grail if that somehow were to ever see the light of day!

rockvanhalen66
07-14-2004, 12:51 AM
Originally posted by Mr Badguy
What is the point of a 2CD Van Halen compilation that features less than 1 CD of what we all know are the classic years of VH.

The first CD manages to cram in songs spanning from "Van Halen" through "5150".

The whole of the second CD is full of Van Hagar.

At least if they had made the first CD all Dave, we could have thrown the second CD away.

If Eddie and the boys are stupid enough to ignore the legacy of their 1978-84 legacy then shame on them.

It`s as if they don`t want the fans from that era anymore.

Well, I for one will not be lining their pockets. who cares if you buy it or not .

guwapo_rocker
07-14-2004, 01:19 AM
Originally posted by EVH FANATIC
I'd shell out $$ for a 1984 show. I'd love Oakland 1981, that would be fucking heaven.

And you're right it just doesn't make any business sense at all.

Probably, asshole Alex's doing more than Edward's.

WTF are you the same person who sparred with me 2 weeks ago.

You're okay in my book....not like you'd care.:D

bru87tr
07-14-2004, 09:04 AM
anyone seen the comercial for this piece of shit on E ?

funny thing was the first few times I seen it Dave was cut out of the Video scenes showing only alex ed and mike on Jump...etc

just last night I seen it again and now dave is being shown. funny thing is before it was all sam and dave was obviously cut out. now he is in the commercial.

strange I thought!

Bob_R
07-14-2004, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by guwapo_rocker
WTF are you the same person who sparred with me 2 weeks ago.

You're okay in my book....not like you'd care.:D

Yes I am. I like telling it the way it is so sometimes I guess I get in trouble.

I'm cool with you dude. You're okay in my book as well.

Shit, we're practically the same age we need to get along. :)

Shit, I even voted for you!

But, I see you didn't for me. :( :mad: ;) :p

guwapo_rocker
07-14-2004, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by EVH FANATIC
Yes I am. I like telling it the way it is so sometimes I guess I get in trouble.

I'm cool with you dude. You're okay in my book as well.

Shit, we're practically the same age we need to get along. :)

Shit, I even voted for you!

But, I see you didn't for me. :( :mad: ;) :p

There's your vote ya old fucker.:D :D

Carmine
07-14-2004, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by bru87tr
anyone seen the comercial for this piece of shit on E ?

funny thing was the first few times I seen it Dave was cut out of the Video scenes showing only alex ed and mike on Jump...etc

just last night I seen it again and now dave is being shown. funny thing is before it was all sam and dave was obviously cut out. now he is in the commercial.

strange I thought!

I saw it last thursday during SMACKDOWN. Many cool Dave clips, but LAME to have to do that to sell cds.

degüello
07-14-2004, 01:24 PM
Re. the commercial release of any classic VH DVDs (Largo, etc.), I don't see it happening for at least 5 to 10 years, depending how long this Spam Sham lasts.

They'll never put any of it out as long as Spam's the singer, obviously. Even if Spam was out of the picture, I don't think they would release any DLR era DVDs for a long time. Eddie seems to really be blocking out the past and acting like it never existed, regardless of the commercial potential being ignored.

They probably would only do it to coincide with a DLR reunion (will that ever happen; I don't think so), if even then, or if Eddie dies, as someone has said.

DLR_EngineRoom
07-14-2004, 03:27 PM

Dave very recently confirmed in an interview that Ed's got TONS of audio/video live AND studio stuff - ALL UNRELEASED from the DLR era - in his personal vaults, but thus far has refused to release any of it.

Hecubus
07-14-2004, 11:20 PM
How about because most of us own those songs already.......

LIKE FUCKING TWICE.

Matt White
07-14-2004, 11:27 PM
Does anybody else remember Dave, in the early 1980's, talking about how VH were filming shows to make a movie out of? He said that VAN HALEN's movie would be like "at the end of that WHO movie, when Townsend does the slide across the stage on his knees, our movie will be like one long knee slide across the stage." If that thing(VAN HALEN live circa1980-81') were to ever see the light of day......THE MIND JUST BOGGLES!!!!! We'd all go back to asking, "SPAMMY WHO?"