PDA

View Full Version : Any post-1984 Classic Van Halen???

mikethemartian
07-11-2004, 06:01 AM
Before the band broke up in 1985 had they recorded any songs for a followup to 1984? If so, are any of them floating around?

Panamark
07-11-2004, 06:14 AM
Yeah checkout 5150

EbDawson
07-11-2004, 06:20 AM
Dave says Ed was too drunk to even make it down to the studio very much. Anything that was recorded was probably just riffs or pieces of songs minus lyrics. Some of this music evidently did became tunes on 5150 but those had Spammy's lyrics.

Panamark
07-11-2004, 06:26 AM
Yeah thats what I meant.. I think theres many tunes on 5150 that were going to be on the next real Van Halen album. Obviously not the entire album. Can anyone in their right mind picture Dave agreeing to sing Dreams ??

But who knows, perhaps there is the Dave version of Summer Nights in the vault somewhere. Perhaps theres shit there that we have no idea about ?? Ed might be sitting on a friggin goldmine...

Panamark
07-11-2004, 06:29 AM
Lets not forget the 2-5 songs (depending on who you believe) that was recorded in 2000.. Ok, the standard response is that they were in rough demo form only... If they are master tapes, thats nothing that cant be fixed (who says it hasnt been already ??)

Maybe Van Hagar will be Ed's last tour and they will unleash a new album of Dave on us... Hey, I could live with that...

EbDawson
07-11-2004, 06:44 AM
Originally posted by Panamark
Lets not forget the 2-5 songs (depending on who you believe) that was recorded in 2000.. Ok, the standard response is that they were in rough demo form only... If they are master tapes, thats nothing that cant be fixed (who says it hasnt been already ??)

Maybe Van Hagar will be Ed's last tour and they will unleash a new album of Dave on us... Hey, I could live with that...

Well I wouldn't hold my breath. Ed has to all sorts of great shit in his vaults, demos, concert videos etc. of Dave stuff. He seems perfectly OK with letting the stuff gather dust and rot away. Dave said in a fairly recent interview that there's lots of stuff Ed could release if he wanted to. He would just rather be an asshole I guess. Where's Gene Simmons when you need him?

Panamark
07-11-2004, 07:21 AM
Its probably his final nest egg, dude...

We will see it one day.. With the looks of things, it could
be sooner rather than later...

PerryLane
07-11-2004, 07:36 AM
I can picture Dave originally singing Summer Nights, Best Of Both Worlds, 5150.. With his own lyrics and rap of course. I'm only imagining here, but it's possible. Would be cool to hear for sure.

Panamark
07-11-2004, 07:41 AM
What I dont get is this. Wouldnt Dave also be entitled to copies of all this material ?? hmmmmmm. That fucks with your mind, hey !!

PerryLane
07-11-2004, 07:44 AM
If he had em and had the rights to release em, I think he would've let us hear em. Ed's fucked that up for us.

Panamark
07-11-2004, 08:14 AM
yeah, it has to be that.. I agree.. Dave cares too much about the fans.
But perhaps legally he is not allowed ? Because of some fucked up condition enforced by the brothers...

EbDawson
07-12-2004, 01:30 AM
In the bootleg forum we've talked about the existence of a full legnth pro-shot VH concert from '84 (or earlier). There are bits and pieces we've seen like in the Panama video. This thing has to exist somewhere. Whether it's in Ed's vaults or somewhere at Warner Bros. maybe, who knows. It and any other audio bits of live concerts probably have to have all band members to agree to release them. Dave really hasn't pushed the issue and as long as Ed doesn't want them released then they aren't going to be. Sucks.

Rikk
07-12-2004, 01:40 AM
I heard Pete Angelus took the footage with him when he was fired in 1985. I also would say that the PANAMA footage is no guarantee of an entire concert shot. The footage of the concert at the beginning is definitely from the 1984 tour. The other footage was shot in various places, including some rather contrived documentary footage (Ed at the piano, etc.). As for the concert footage, it's my opinion that the band had the crew at a soundcheck shooting the video part with the lip-syncing on stage, as well as the band members being strung across by a foot. Then, when the concert began, a couple of 16-mm got some shots of the show, including that night's performance of PANAMA. I very doubt this footage was footage of an entire PRO-SHOT show.

As for other PRO-SHOT shows that haven't surfaced, as much as I like the US FESTIVAL show, I still think the footage from Oakland (released in three videos for MTV) is tighter, and I would guess that these entire shows were shot.

It definitely is about time the band finally releases a PRO-SHOT concert from the band. I don't want a damn anthology release, because then we'll be stuck with some Dave footage (which we've probably all seen before) and a ton of Sammy footage. I would much rather see an entire show released, with DTS surround sound, backstage footage, etc. There is definitely unreleased PRO-SHOT footage from the WACF tour, which the band confirmed as they were working on "the ultimate tour documentary" at the time which was never released. Otherwise, release Oakland '81. And if that footage really isn't complete, then just give us a remastered and re-edited US FESTIVAL, with the sound remixed for surround sound, super-clear picture, etc. That would still be the shit. After all, as much as I don't like TRIUMPH, they just released a super version of their US FESTIVAL performance.

FORD
07-12-2004, 01:51 AM
How many pro shot concerts have to exist out there. They released concert vids from Van HALEN II, so there has to be a whole show there. Oakland 81 is of course, legendary. The US Fest recorded officially for Showtime cable network (and at least 3 audio tracks from that one "remixed" and released to radio a few weeks after the show. And as far as unreleased audio goes, Legend has it that there was to be a Van HALEN live album released in 1982, but WB pulled the plug on the idea. It's possible that the Oakland 81 material could have been the source for that planned album, but it's not common for official live albums to come from just one show, so it's likely that other 81 shows were also recorded.

Wonder how far that album got before they axed it? Could there be a master tape in a WB vault somewhere?

(ATTN ANY LURKING WB EMPLOYEES. LEAK THAT BITCH AND PUT IT UP OVER AT STG!!)

Bill Lumbergh
07-12-2004, 01:52 AM
Yeah checkout 5150

Actually, don't!

Rikk
07-12-2004, 02:01 AM
Originally posted by FORD
How many pro shot concerts have to exist out there. They released concert vids from Van HALEN II, so there has to be a whole show there. Oakland 81 is of course, legendary. The US Fest recorded officially for Showtime cable network (and at least 3 audio tracks from that one "remixed" and released to radio a few weeks after the show. And as far as unreleased audio goes, Legend has it that there was to be a Van HALEN live album released in 1982, but WB pulled the plug on the idea. It's possible that the Oakland 81 material could have been the source for that planned album, but it's not common for official live albums to come from just one show, so it's likely that other 81 shows were also recorded.

Wonder how far that album got before they axed it? Could there be a master tape in a WB vault somewhere?

Great point. I never thought about the 1982 live album thingy. You know why that wasn't released? Probably because of the surprise hit with PRETTY WOMAN and WB's sudden pressure to have the band finish a new album quickly to accompany PRETTY WOMAN. The label wanted a new album with possibly another potential hit on it, and thus they cancelled the live album. And by the time of DIVER DOWN's release, the recordings were old and the release was kinda pointless.

I do remember hearing about a possible live album from the 1984 tour...but it never materialized. Of course I'd be surprised if there weren't some professional recordings from this tour made and sitting in the vault. It was the band's biggest tour ever.

I think the stuff is still in the vaults. Look at how many concert tapes Aerosmith had saved and released tracks from in the PANDORA'S BOX set (on the CLASSICS LIVE albums in the late 80s).

Whether we see any of this stuff is a different story...but as much as I want a DVD, I'd also be perfectly happy with a double-CD live album culled from different shows in the Dave days.

EbDawson
07-12-2004, 02:09 AM
Originally posted by Rikk

I also would say that the PANAMA footage is no guarantee of an entire concert shot. The footage of the concert at the beginning is definitely from the 1984 tour. The other footage was shot in various places, including some rather contrived documentary footage (Ed at the piano, etc.). As for the concert footage, it's my opinion that the band had the crew at a soundcheck shooting the video part with the lip-syncing on stage, as well as the band members being strung across by a foot. Then, when the concert began, a couple of 16-mm got some shots of the show, including that night's performance of PANAMA. I very doubt this footage was footage of an entire PRO-SHOT show.

Right. Most of the video was preformed, staged. But there is a shot, only a couple of seconds long, of what has to be a pro-shot of the stage, moving back to reveal a large part of the audience. Point is, as big as VH was in '84, there's no way there isn't some concert that was shot in it's entirety.

Remember though, Ed is about moving forward, not looking back.

Cathedral
07-12-2004, 02:20 AM
Right Now, I am watching the entire Sao Paulo, Brazil show on DVD.

This show alone blows the living shit out of any Van Hagar shows, content wise.

Damn, these were the fucking days in Van History, baby...

MAX
07-12-2004, 02:27 AM
Getting back to the original question, it has been stated from both camps that there are early demos of "Good Enough" and "Summer Nights" (both of which done with Dave) that do exist. The one that I've read the most about is the most completed of the two being "Summer Nights" which is what made it so easy for Hagar to come in ad put lyrics, chorus, bridge and a melody to it because it was a complete song. Dave's version was called "Eat Thy Neighbor." I've both read and heard interviews over the years that Alexia has that along with three other Roth Demos from the 1984 follow-up in his personal vault.

Dave said that that's why "5150" was so easy for them to complete so quickly because they had already structured half of the forthcoming album's songs before he left. Therefore, making it easier for them to put an album together so quickly when Hagar joined vs. Dave had to start from "scratch with Vai and Sheehan.

EbDawson
07-12-2004, 02:28 AM
Originally posted by Cathedral

Absolutely!! The fact that we have the pro-shot bootleg videos proves that shows were filmed. As good as some of the boots are, like the Sao Paulo one, if the sound could be re-mastered, image cleaned up added goodies thrown in, how fucking awesome would that be!

thefive
07-12-2004, 02:41 AM
Originally posted by Bill Lumbergh
Actually, don't!

:lol: :lol: Damn that was funny.

thefive
07-12-2004, 02:42 AM
I found out why I couldn't use the more smiley feature. IF YOU HAVE A POP UP STOPPER SOFTWARE take it off temporary.

Cathedral
07-12-2004, 02:54 AM
Originally posted by EbDawson
Absolutely!! The fact that we have the pro-shot bootleg videos proves that shows were filmed. As good as some of the boots are, like the Sao Paulo one, if the sound could be re-mastered, image cleaned up added goodies thrown in, how fucking awesome would that be!

I'd buy 3 copies.......one in red.

Panamark
07-12-2004, 05:38 AM
Originally posted by Bill Lumbergh
Actually, don't!

LOL, I concur....

EmpyreLounge44
07-12-2004, 09:36 AM
i think i remember reading that most of the music written for a new Roth album had been recorded but no lyrics or vocals were done for it. I bet the vault is more bare than we think it is. Remember reading that Ed had been recording all the time and had 10 albums worth ready for whatever singer they brought back? I bet its all just him and Al playing around which might be cool to listen to but we wont hear the vault until Ed is dead and someone get's greedy and opens them up.

L.S.D.
07-12-2004, 09:42 AM
Yeah thats what I meant.. I think theres many tunes on 5150 that were going to be on the next real Van Halen album. Obviously not the entire album. Can anyone in their right mind picture Dave agreeing to sing Dreams ??

But who knows, perhaps there is the Dave version of Summer Nights in the vault somewhere. Perhaps theres shit there that we have no idea about ?? Ed might be sitting on a friggin goldmine...

Actually the songs they had the music for was Dreams, Good Enough, and Summer NIghts.

guwapo_rocker
07-12-2004, 10:23 AM

Can I get a copy of that PUUUUULEASE!!!???:D

BRANDON
07-12-2004, 02:11 PM
my guess is as long as hargar is in the band they won't release any
classic vh concert. bastards

thefive
07-12-2004, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by BRANDON

Offer that guy some bacon and he will leave van halen.

Cathedral
07-12-2004, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by guwapo_rocker

If i had a DVD burner i'd hook you up. I'll chat with a friend and see if they can burn a couple copies for me.

guwapo_rocker
07-12-2004, 03:50 PM
If i had a DVD burner i'd hook you up. I'll chat with a friend and see if they can burn a couple copies for me.

Thanks much.

Terry
07-12-2004, 04:32 PM
Roth has said Van Hagar used the tapes classic Halen had been working on for the follow up to 1984 as their starting point for what eventually became 5150.

Ed has said Dave had heard several of the tunes on 5150 before he left the band.

Who knows if they ever got around to recording demos for any of that stuff, and if Roth layed any guide tracks down?

Can't say I'd be that interested in hearing Dave singing over the 5150 tracks, even if that were the case/such demos existed. About the only material that holds my interest on 5150 is the title tracks intro and bridge guitar parts.

Keeyth
07-12-2004, 04:40 PM

You know, I've always felt that Summer Nights was such a Dave type of Van Halen song... ...hmmmm. Makes ya think, don't it?

Keeyth
07-12-2004, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by FORD

What is STG?

Keeyth
07-12-2004, 05:01 PM

I would be eternally grateful for a copy of that as well.... ....pretty please!!

L.S.D.
07-12-2004, 05:02 PM
Originally posted by Keeyth
You know, I've always felt that Summer Nights was such a Dave type of Van Halen song... ...hmmmm. Makes ya think, don't it?

Not really, Summer Nights is a classic Van Halen song. Youll disagree but its a great oldie that is great in the summertime.

Keeyth
07-12-2004, 05:04 PM
Originally posted by L.S.D.
Not really, Summer Nights is a classic Van Halen song. Youll disagree but its a great oldie that is great in the summertime.

Shut up Beavis! It would have ROCKED 10 times more if Dave had sung it... ...and there's nothing better in the summertime than Dave-era VH!

Cathedral
07-12-2004, 05:14 PM
The music on 5150 wasn't bad for the most part. The lyrics sucked donkey dick and so did the voice conveying them.

Someone said before that Dave had the VH road show on the EEAS Tour, that was true.
But 5150, although had the dwindeling remnants of the Mighty Van Halen, was a scaled down, or should i say "watered down" version of the huge giant it was while Dave was in the band.

They lost more in the transfer than any of them will ever admit to the point Van Hagar music was nothing more than mediocre at best.

If you want to support Classic VH, buy the first 6 albums again and again. Spammy has no royalty contract for those and it would send yet another wasted message to Edward and his drones.

It may even make Spammy shut his fucking yap over who sold more records as well.

Big Troubles
07-12-2004, 05:18 PM
Dave has already stated that Summer Nights was essentially laid out before he left. Ed has stated that Good Enough & Best of Both Worlds were Dave tunes before he left as well. Thats 3 at least that we know of that dave helped write.

L.S.D.
07-12-2004, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by Big Troubles
Dave has already stated that Summer Nights was essentially laid out before he left. Ed has stated that Good Enough & Best of Both Worlds were Dave tunes before he left as well. Thats 3 at least that we know of that dave helped write.

Wrong, Best of Both Worlds was written entirely by Van Hagar. The 3 that were done or had parts together were Dreams, Good Enough, and Summer Nights.

Terry
07-12-2004, 05:23 PM
Have to disagree, Cathedral.

Outside of the title track, find little of musical interest on 5150, even with lyrics and vocals to one side.

Dreams is no better than something you'd hear in an elevator or on a visit to the dentist.

Get Up is rehashed Hot For Teacher.

Good Enough, from start to finish, sounds like a second rate EVH clone trying to come up with an original song.........

..........bah, to heck with it. Can't be bothered to do a track-by-track dissertation of it.

Just lazy performances, electronic drums that sounded awful even at the time, when they were all the rage. Crisp production values of previous records reduced to a mid-tone slush and synthesized pop keyboards abound.

Big Troubles
07-12-2004, 06:29 PM
Wrong, Best of Both Worlds was written entirely by Van Hagar. The 3 that were done or had parts together were Dreams, Good Enough, and Summer Nights.

Dreams...? Yeah? Sheesh...Well I believe you since I wasn't positive on Best of Both Worlds. Thanks for the correction. ;)

phattyboombatty
07-12-2004, 06:36 PM
Check out my post at DDLR Here (http://www.diamonddavidleeroth.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1413) . I've been wanting to get some attention on this. Below is a list I compiled from the old VH website when they had a "Back List" of cool shit.

Always wanted to see someone release the tracks that Van Halen had in the works during 1984. These songs would have been the "1984" leftovers or the "5150" album with David Lee Roth.

Here's the list of songs I compiled from the old Van halen website. Pretty cool shit!

5150 Special
Leftover track from the 1984 sessions.

Any Time, Any Place
A leftover track from the 1984 sessions.

Anything To Make It Right
Leftover synthesizer tune from the 1984 sessions.

Baritone Slide

Big Trouble
Originally recorded in 1977 for the band's 25-song Warner Bros. demo tape, then re-recorded during the Diver Down sessions. This song was intended for Diver Down, and later, 1984; but appeared on neither.

Forget 1

Lie To You

Ripley
Leftover song from the 1984 sessions. It was written on a Ripley Guitar, designed by Steve Ripley. The guitar itself is quite unique due to the fact that each string can be sent to different sides of the speaker through the use of its individual string pan pots.

DLR_EngineRoom
07-12-2004, 06:41 PM
Originally posted by EbDawson
Well I wouldn't hold my breath. Ed has to all sorts of great shit in his vaults, demos, concert videos etc. of Dave stuff. He seems perfectly OK with letting the stuff gather dust and rot away. Dave said in a fairly recent interview that there's lots of stuff Ed could release if he wanted to. He would just rather be an asshole I guess. Where's Gene Simmons when you need him?

haha exactly...it's scary to think of all the stuff EVH could release....and what does EVH do instead? He releases Hagar's live versions of Roth classics on their next Gr8est Hits!

Gene, oh great tongued bat lizard.....breathe fire and make Sammy go POOF!

phattyboombatty
07-12-2004, 06:42 PM
Check this out from GW, September 1986 by Steve Rosen....

VH: Oh yeah. And Noel Monk (the manager) was his goddamn puppet - did everything he wanted. And that's partly why Al and I wanted to change; we wanted a manager who managed the band - not someone who did only what one person said.

GW: Had you left during Fair Warning, it would have been...

VH: ...different, sure. Well, let's put it this way: The end result is, I'm very happy now. Whatever it took to get where I am now, I'm very happy.

GW: Was 'Dreams' played on the MIDIed piano?

VH: Yeah, I think so. We never even got to work with Dave on that; we rehearsed maybe for a total of a week within a month's time.

GW: So he had heard some of the new material?

VH: Oh yeah. I had 'Good Enough' and 'Summer Nights' and we'd begun work on 'Dreams.'

GW: It appears from 5150 that you writing has moved in new directions.

VH: It's constantly changing I guess. I don't really know where inspiration comes from - or anything comes from.

You can go to www.webarchive.org, type in www.slawterhouse.com, and go thru the Wayback machine to the old SH site. It has these articles up there.

Keeyth
07-12-2004, 06:57 PM
Originally posted by phattyboombatty
Check this out from GW, September 1986 by Steve Rosen....

VH: Oh yeah. And Noel Monk (the manager) was his goddamn puppet - did everything he wanted. And that's partly why Al and I wanted to change; we wanted a manager who managed the band - not someone who did only what one person said.

GW: Had you left during Fair Warning, it would have been...

VH: ...different, sure. Well, let's put it this way: The end result is, I'm very happy now. Whatever it took to get where I am now, I'm very happy.

GW: Was 'Dreams' played on the MIDIed piano?

VH: Yeah, I think so. We never even got to work with Dave on that; we rehearsed maybe for a total of a week within a month's time.

GW: So he had heard some of the new material?

VH: Oh yeah. I had 'Good Enough' and 'Summer Nights' and we'd begun work on 'Dreams.'

GW: It appears from 5150 that you writing has moved in new directions.

VH: It's constantly changing I guess. I don't really know where inspiration comes from - or anything comes from.

You can go to www.webarchive.org, type in www.slawterhouse.com, and go thru the Wayback machine to the old SH site. It has these articles up there.

Those links say page cannot be displayed... ....I'd love to read those old interviews... ...plus any recent ones with Roth...

Keeyth
07-12-2004, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by DLR_EngineRoom
haha exactly...it's scary to think of all the stuff EVH could release....and what does EVH do instead? He releases Hagar's live versions of Roth classics on their next Gr8est Hits!

Gene, oh great tongued bat lizard.....breathe fire and make Sammy go POOF!

Tell me you're not serious about Hagar doing Roth's songs live on the new greatest hits? Please! Say it isn't so!!!:confused: :(

phattyboombatty
07-12-2004, 07:02 PM
Those links say page cannot be displayed... ....I'd love to read those old interviews... ...plus any recent ones with Roth...

Try now. I just had the commas stuck in the links (but I removed them) that's all. You can always try typing them in yourself if they don't work!

Keeyth
07-12-2004, 07:11 PM
Try now. I just had the commas stuck in the links (but I removed them) that's all. You can always try typing them in yourself if they don't work!

O.K. but what is the "old SH" site? It just brings up another search engine. What do I type in to find the interviews?

RogueHorseman
07-12-2004, 07:21 PM
Originally posted by BRANDON

Technically, he isn't "in the band" except for presently being the hired hand front man for this tour.

phattyboombatty
07-12-2004, 07:35 PM
O.K. but what is the "old SH" site? It just brings up another search engine. What do I type in to find the interviews?
"SH" is Slawterhouse which is Dave's old website. Just type in www.slawterhouse.com What Dave did, was he comandeered that website. I think it was started by a DLR fan prior to that.

Keeyth
07-12-2004, 07:50 PM
"SH" is Slawterhouse which is Dave's old website. Just type in www.slawterhouse.com What Dave did, was he comandeered that website. I think it was started by a DLR fan prior to that.

That's news to me. I was under the impression, in fact told on many occasions, that Dave never 'got' this whole internet thing...

he actually moderated a website at one point?

Satan
07-12-2004, 07:52 PM

If you have a broadband connection, go register at www.sharingthegroove.org.

You never know what might turn up over there..... and that's all the Devil is gonna say about that :D

phattyboombatty
07-12-2004, 07:58 PM
That's news to me. I was under the impression, in fact told on many occasions, that Dave never 'got' this whole internet thing...

he actually moderated a website at one point?
No. He comandeered it. Meaning he christened it the official Diamond Dave website and let these other guys run it. Instead of asking me, go to the Wayback machine at webarchive.org and then you can browse the Slawterhouse pages for yourself. Dave had all kinds of shit up there at one point, including rare tracks and audio recordings of himself relaying messages to the fans. Many of us here at the Army were members at the Slawterhouse Forums.

guwapo_rocker
07-12-2004, 08:01 PM
Originally posted by Satan
If you have a broadband connection, go register at www.sharingthegroove.org.

You never know what might turn up over there..... and that's all the Devil is gonna say about that :D

Thanks!! Uh I don't owe you my soul or anything do I??:D

Keeyth
07-12-2004, 08:02 PM
No. He comandeered it. Meaning he christened it the official Diamond Dave website and let these other guys run it. Instead of asking me, go to the Wayback machine at webarchive.org and then you can browse the Slawterhouse pages for yourself. Dave had all kinds of shit up there at one point, including rare tracks and audio recordings of himself relaying messages to the fans. Many of us here at the Army were members at the Slawterhouse Forums.

Cool. But what happened to it? why did it go away?

Lou
07-12-2004, 08:10 PM

Yeah, you can if you have high speed internet:

http://www.sharingthegroove.org/msgboard/showthread.php?s=&threadid=79772

guwapo_rocker
07-12-2004, 08:28 PM
Originally posted by Lou
Yeah, you can if you have high speed internet:

http://www.sharingthegroove.org/msgboard/showthread.php?s=&threadid=79772

Thanks Lou!!

EddieFan4Ever
07-13-2004, 12:39 AM
One tidbit here......Noel Monk apparantly (so i am told) has the masters of the ENTIRE Oakland '81 show. It was originally intended for release as a live video. But when they split with him, he too it, along with TONS of other stuff, including various tour wardrobes, music, and memorebilia (sp?). Anyway, nobody even knows where Monk is, for the most part. I do know that the VH camp keeps an eye out for anyone trying to sell the stuff on Ebay, etc. Apparantly Noel tried doing it through a magazine (or newspaper...cant remember) ad years ago. It got yanked real quick and to this day never seen again anywhere else. Story has it he has literally a tractor-trailer truck full of this stuff. Who knows....maybe someday in the near future it'll surface.

Matt White
07-13-2004, 12:44 AM
Fuck Noel Monk....The Sex Pistols hated that cocksucker....In the movie "Sid & Nancy" the whiny, nerdy guy on the bus that Johhny Rotten calss "A silly Cunt" is based on Monk....SO FUCK HIM!!!!!

Matt White
07-13-2004, 12:45 AM
From what I seen and heard since Monk left, it looks like the motherfucker TOOK ED'S TALENT AND HIS BROTHER SHEMP'S FUCKING BRAIN!!!!

EddieFan4Ever
07-13-2004, 12:50 AM
Originally posted by Matt White
From what I seen and heard since Monk left, it looks like the motherfucker TOOK ED'S TALENT AND HIS BROTHER SHEMP'S FUCKING BRAIN!!!!

Whoo-Hoo...yer soooooooo funny...ha ha.....hee hee.....ho ho. Dork.

Matt White
07-13-2004, 12:52 AM
Hey look..the Copernicus of the stupid...nice to see ya!!!!!

EddieFan4Ever
07-13-2004, 01:09 AM
Hey look..the Copernicus of the stupid...nice to see ya!!!!!

Piss off......lol.

Matt White
07-13-2004, 01:13 AM
lol....Just like big time wrestling Bro'! Ed's the reason I picked up a guitar 20+ years ago.

EddieFan4Ever
07-13-2004, 01:25 AM
lol....Just like big time wrestling Bro'! Ed's the reason I picked up a guitar 20+ years ago.

Right on...i started play guitar at age 5.....heard Eddie at age 8...never looked back. Here i am, 34 and still in awe of the guy.

Matt White
07-13-2004, 01:32 AM
Whatever issues I have with the guy aside, he is (in my mind) the greatest guitarist I have ever heard. And the most influential.

EddieFan4Ever
07-13-2004, 01:56 AM
Whatever issues I have with the guy aside, he is (in my mind) the greatest guitarist I have ever heard. And the most influential.

Yup...plenty of pretenders, but no contenders. Ed IS rock guitar to me. I appreciate many,many players....but nobody as much as EVH. I think Vai (for example) is technically brilliant.....and while he sometimes conveys emotion, most of the time he comes off cold to me. He does very similiar two-handed runs in the style of Ed, but repeats each part anywhere from 2 to 8 times over....seems like he is doing more, but often he's not. He's clean and accurate....but on the G3 tour recently he came off not as brightly on some spots. I only mention him due to the Roth-VH connection. But if you ask me, Vai is like a marriage of Fair Warning era w/Zappa.... just not as original as either. Eh, i'm rambling...peace.

rockvanhalen66
07-13-2004, 02:09 AM
ed vanhalen is not only a great lead player the mother fucker is a riff monster. the boy is like fine wine the older he gets the better he sounds.

EddieFan4Ever
07-13-2004, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by rockvanhalen66
ed vanhalen is not only a great lead player the mother fucker is a riff monster. the boy is like fine wine the older he gets the better he sounds.

amen

guwapo_rocker
07-13-2004, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by rockvanhalen66

Yep...you are what you drink!

Carmine
07-13-2004, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by PerryLane
I can picture Dave originally singing Summer Nights, Best Of Both Worlds, 5150.. With his own lyrics and rap of course. I'm only imagining here, but it's possible. Would be cool to hear for sure.

I've thought summer nights, BOBW, and get up would have been great dave tunes since the first time I heard them. They probably were at some point.

RogueHorseman
07-13-2004, 10:47 AM
Interesting to note that while it is documented that Dave had a hand in 2-3 of the tunes that wound up on 5150, he never demanded any payment... unlike Sam and his threats over CGTSNM to extract cash.

Carmine
07-13-2004, 10:50 AM
good point

L.S.D.
07-13-2004, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by DLRoswegony
I've thought summer nights, BOBW, and get up would have been great dave tunes since the first time I heard them. They probably were at some point.

Youd like to think that wouldnt you? But wrong. It is well documented that the only songs that had anything down was Good Enough, Dreams, and Summer Nights.

5150 and Best of Both Worlds are so Van hagar is obvious. I cant believe you guys dont like those songs.

BigDaddyD
07-13-2004, 11:40 AM
I would love a copy as well please. I would not mind paying for it. dhelfand@nyc.rr.com

phattyboombatty
07-13-2004, 04:02 PM
Youd like to think that wouldnt you? But wrong. It is well documented that the only songs that had anything down was Good Enough, Dreams, and Summer Nights.

5150 and Best of Both Worlds are so Van hagar is obvious. I cant believe you guys dont like those songs.
Not necessarily true. In the GW article which I posted an excerpt of (on p.2 of this thread), Eddie mentions thorough re-workings of songs that Dave worked on. Any of THESE (see below) could be prior workings of songs that were published after '1984'.

5150 Special

Any Time, Any Place

Baritone Slide

Big Trouble
Originally recorded in 1977 for the band's 25-song Warner Bros. demo tape, then re-recorded during the Diver Down sessions. This song was intended for Diver Down, and later, 1984; but appeared on neither.

Forget 1

Lie To You

Ripley
Leftover song from the 1984 sessions. It was written on a Ripley Guitar, designed by Steve Ripley. The guitar itself is quite unique due to the fact that each string can be sent to different sides of the speaker through the use of its individual string pan pots.

L.S.D.
07-13-2004, 04:18 PM
Not necessarily true. In the GW article which I posted an excerpt of (on p.2 of this thread), Eddie mentions thorough re-workings of songs that Dave worked on. Any of THESE (see below) could be prior workings of songs that were published after '1984'.

5150 Special

Any Time, Any Place

Baritone Slide

Big Trouble

Forget 1

Lie To You

Ripley

Wrong, I have man many interviews with the band where they comment at different times about what was in the can ahnd its always been the same 3 songs. And not 5150 or Best of Both Worlds. If you were a fan of Van Halen after dlr left, youd know that 5150 was written by sammy and edward.

Terry
07-14-2004, 12:07 AM
5150 the title track was decent guitar-wise.

Insipid lyrics, but that's Hagar for you.

muffinman14
07-17-2004, 12:15 AM
I am 99% sure I read somewhere a few years ago that "Top of the World" was originally written for 1984, anyone else ever see this?

Matt White
07-17-2004, 12:55 AM
Originally posted by muffinman14
I am 99% sure I read somewhere a few years ago that "Top of the World" was originally written for 1984, anyone else ever see this?

Yup! I believe (not 100% on the song) that during the fade out of JUMP Ed starts playing the main riff of TOP OF THE WORLD. Ed's always taking parts of old songs and turnin' them into something new. That riff must have stayed with 'em. On the end of WACF Ed and Al start a little groove that fades out. Ed was gonna call it GROWTH and have it as a song on FAIR WARNING, but changed his mind by the time of the next record.:cool:

Hippy Hater
07-17-2004, 12:58 AM
LSD, you are wrong buddy. Best of both worlds is a dave song, otherwise why would my VH guitar anthology series tab book (70% dave songs) say "Music+Lyrics Written By: Michael Anthony, Alex Van Halen, Eddy Van Halen, and David Lee Roth." Makes you wonder don't it?