PDA

View Full Version : The Beatles(White Album)

Wayne L.
07-12-2004, 07:56 AM
The Beatles(White Album) released in 68 is creatively, musically & artistically the Beatles true masterpiece with its back to basics approach to rock, pop, blues, folk & a little avant garde which defines the Beatles during their late 60's period as well as being one of the greatest double albums in rock history speaking as a dedicated Beatles fan more so than the highly overrated & highly overpraised Sgt. Pepper!!!

Mr Badguy
07-12-2004, 07:58 AM
What part of that did we not know?

Mr Badguy
07-12-2004, 08:07 AM
Actually, if they had cut some of the more self-indulgent tracks from the running order it would have been easily better than "Sgt. Pepper", which I always feel is over-rated.

Stuff like "Revolution No.9" and "Why don`t we do it in the road" now sounds like arseing about.

The album might also be too eclectic, maybe one of the most stylisticly wide-ranging ever, from the rock of "Revolution" through the country of "Don`t pass me by" and old style western"Rocky racoon" via 50`s revial "Happiness is a warm gun" and gentle acoustic numbers like "Blackbird" and "Julia" to name but a few.

All great stuff.

However, I would pick "Revolver" as my top Beatles album.

Warham
07-12-2004, 10:54 PM
My favorite Beatles albums are probably Sgt. Pepper, Rubber Soul, and Abbey Road. I still go back to Sgt. Pepper though, for repeated listenings.

Bill Lumbergh
07-13-2004, 03:14 AM
The White Album has always been my favorite Beatles album, just on the strength of amazing Lennon tracks like "Happiness is a warm gun" and "So Tired". Yeah there IS some shit on the album(most notably certain Paul drivel), but there is an overwhelming amount of cool material.

Panamark
07-13-2004, 07:05 AM
I disagree, I reckon Sgt Peppers and Abbey Road were better...

Panamark
07-13-2004, 07:06 AM
especially side 2 of Abbey Rd.. Its almost like you can hear its the final hurrah...

SweetSecrets
07-13-2004, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by Panamark
Its almost like you can hear its the final hurrah...

I would have to agree! A very sad last hurrah! Wonderful album!

-Mary Frances

Mr Badguy
07-13-2004, 07:00 PM
Side two of "Abbey Road", particularly the medley of short songs, is amazing.

One of the best pieces of songwriting and arranging ever.

However, I always felt side one wasn`t as good.

Panamark
07-14-2004, 06:12 AM
Originally posted by SweetPoundcake
I would have to agree! A very sad last hurrah! Wonderful album!

-Mary Frances

And in the End,
The Love you take,
is equal to.

The Love you Make.

Panamark
07-14-2004, 06:13 AM
That album's cool...

Warham
07-14-2004, 07:04 AM
One of the ten best of all time, I reckon.

Right up there with Pet Sounds, What's Goin' On, Highway 61, etc.

Wayne L.
07-17-2004, 04:22 PM
Sgt. Pepper is known as the Beatles psychedelic masterpiece even though Revolver should take that title completely, but the White Album is the Beatles TRUE masterpiece which defines them during the late 60's!!!

flappo
07-17-2004, 04:26 PM
if there was a choice between mr badguy and wayne l

i know who the fuck i'd listen to

mr bg

wayne , you're a pain

Warham
07-18-2004, 08:21 AM
I don't think the White Album is their masterpiece. I don't find it cohesive enough to be considered their masterpiece.

Revolver or Rubber Soul were fan more cohesive, with nary a duff track.

Wayne L.
07-25-2004, 10:04 AM
The Beatles defined the 60's with their music, their haircuts & their attitude which will never be forgotten with classic rock albums which are timeless masterpieces. I'm a 70's kid who first became aware of the Beatles listening to them on the radio in the backseat of my parent's cr when I was about 5 years old way back in 69. I didn't know their hisdtory or their classic rock albums until I was about 11/12 years old way back in 75/76 but my favorite era of the Beatles is during the late 60's. The White Album is creatively, musically & artistically superior to their highly overrated psychedlic masterpeice Sgt. Pepper with its back to basics approach as well as being one of the greatest double albums of all time which will rock your brains out & blow your mind.