PDA

View Full Version : Ed pulls Anti-Roth banner off Spam!

MAX
07-12-2004, 02:19 PM
That fat fucker just will never stop and props to Ed for at least putting a stop to it

link (http://www.mlive.com/entertainment/fljournal/index.ssf?/base/features-1/108964715760730.xml)

Van Halen rocks in more mellow mode
Review
DETROIT
THE FLINT JOURNAL FIRST EDITION
Monday, July 12, 2004
By Doug Pullen
dpullen@flintjournal.com • 810.766.6140
DETROIT - There was a telling moment late into Saturday's Van Halen concert at Joe Louis Arena.

Guitar Eddie Van Halen pulled off a fan's homemade banner that singer Sammy Hagar had wrapped around himself like a cape. It read "Right now Sammy's in Detroit, Dave's unemployed," a shot at former Van Halen frontman and co-founding member David Lee Roth, whom Hagar replaced 17 years ago.

Hagar was booted, or at least strongly encouraged to leave the band in 1996, the result of rising tensions, particularly between Hagar and Van Halen. They traded bitter barbs in the press. Hagar felt betrayed, but rebounded - albeit with a bit of a chip on his shoulder.

Van Halen tried to move on with a new singer, Extreme's Gary Cherone, but fans weren't happy.

The futures of Van Halen - the guitarist and the band - looked bleakest four years ago when he was diagnosed with tongue cancer.

The good news is that Eddie Van Halen beat the cancer and has a new lease on life. His band is back, healthy and very happy with Hagar again in the fold.

Maybe that's why Eddie didn't make a big deal out of the banner/cape Saturday, the first of two Detroit-area appearances (the other was Sunday at The Palace of Auburn Hills) expected to draw around 30,000 people over the weekend.

He didn't rip it from Hagar's shoulders, or make a big stink about it, as he might have done years ago. He discreetly pulled it off.

The man considered one of rock's premier guitarists might have stomped around in a huff had he accidentally unplugged his guitar, as he did at the start of "Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love" on Saturday. But that Eddie Van Halen is gone.

At 49 and clearly appreciative of his new lease on life and a chance to return to the spotlight, Eddie Van Halen was all smiles Saturday night. He was also playful - dancing, jumping, spinning around on his back, high-fiving his bandmates, frequently raising a clenched fist in the air, even hugging and kissing Hagar on more than one occasion.

Oh, yeah, he played a pretty mean guitar, too.

This wasn't the well-oiled machine version of the band, known for its extensive touring in its heyday. They've only been back together for a few months. They relied heavily on the hits, though all three new songs from their forthcoming double-CD greatest hits collection, were included.

Hagar seemed to embrace Roth-era songs with a clear appreciation of the legacy that he is a part of and that came before him.

Explosive versions of "You Really Got Me" (their first hit in 1978) and "Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love" were particularly impressive, as was the formidable power of bassist Michael Anthony and drummer Alex Van Halen.

But it was an obviously appreciative Eddie Van Halen who played with the most ferocity and intensity, reminiscent of his and the band's early days, when Van Halen rewrote the book on hard rock guitar.

"It's good to be back," he said during his perfunctory solo segment.

The audience felt the same way, pelting the stage with everything from cigarettes and T-shirts to bras and panties.

"Right now is the appreciation of reality," Hagar said, introducing the inspirational anthem "Right Now."

"Right now," he added, is all that really matters.

But maybe one of the messages that ran on the giant video screen behind the stage during that song put this whole love fest in perspective.

"Right now," it said, "Eddie is feeling great."

Clearly, he was. So was the audience. And why wouldn't they? Van Halen is back.

DLR'sCock
07-12-2004, 02:29 PM
interesting...

MAX
07-12-2004, 02:32 PM
Word Cock? Long time no see bro!

PerryLane
07-12-2004, 02:33 PM
Of course Ed doesn't want shots thrown at Dave - he's reuniting with him next year. :D

seenbad
07-12-2004, 02:35 PM
Shows a lot of tact. Good for Ed. :cool:

seenbad
07-12-2004, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by MAX

Did you recently lose some weight? :confused:

Snow Ho
07-12-2004, 02:36 PM
god someone must really hate roth. think how long it would take to paint a banner that would fit on spam's back?

MAX
07-12-2004, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by seenbad
Did you recently lose some weight? :confused:

LMAO!!!! Good one you fucker!!!

Wayne L.
07-12-2004, 02:37 PM
I think Eddie did the right thing even though it's not a big deal!!!

Figs
07-12-2004, 02:38 PM
It helps Sam's inferiority complex to bash Dave. He's always slagging him off. Scumbag. He should thank him for providing material to play at concerts.

Coyote
07-12-2004, 02:41 PM
Nice to see that Ed still has a fuckin' braincell (or two) left...

DLR'sCock
07-12-2004, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by MAX

Hey bro, how are ya? Good to see ya!

MAX
07-12-2004, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by DLR'sCock
Hey bro, how are ya? Good to see ya!

Doin' great bro and nice to see you here.

DLR_EngineRoom
07-12-2004, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by Snow Ho
god someone must really hate roth. think how long it would take to paint a banner that would fit on spam's back?

L M A O !!!

Northern Girl
07-12-2004, 03:21 PM
Uh oh, Sam's starting to piss off Ed. How much longer will the love fest last? I think it's all BS anyway. I don't believe for a minute Sam's happy about singing Dave's songs or that all is forgiven from the past. It's all going to fall apart eventually.

Fabulous Shadow
07-12-2004, 03:22 PM
Good on ED! Now if only everyone showed the same level of class!

DLR_EngineRoom
07-12-2004, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by Northern Girl
Uh oh, Sam's starting to piss off Ed.

One can only hope......and wait.....

Cathedral
07-12-2004, 03:38 PM
New Lease on Life? Yeah, and he's driving it like a 16 year old out for the night in Daddy's Vette.

As for the banner, I could only wish to be unemployed while bringing in a 7 figure annual income.

I still find great pleasure in knowing that Dave has never uttered one single line of a Spammy Halen lyric.
What's that, Spam? Ain't talkin bout what? I thought so, bitch...

thefive
07-12-2004, 04:00 PM
Sammy is still the same. He is 57 years old and has no wisdom.
Wonder what his wife thinks of what little wisdom he has.

Bob_R
07-12-2004, 04:25 PM
Originally posted by seenbad
Shows a lot of tact. Good for Ed. :cool:

Exactly. You took the words right off my fingertips. :D

Fuck Hagar! :monekyr:

SoCalChelle
07-12-2004, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by Fabulous Shadow
Good on ED! Now if only everyone showed the same level of class!

The message boards would be ghost towns. LOL :)

Cathedral
07-12-2004, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by SoCalChelle
The message boards would be ghost towns. LOL :)

But then we all wouldn't be bonifide fanatics, would we? lol.

This reminds me of an old post where people were attacking each other for trolling boards, lol.
Truth is, we're all trolls with half a life or less, lmmfao.

BrownSound1
07-12-2004, 05:01 PM
Good to see Edward do the right thing.

L.S.D.
07-12-2004, 05:03 PM
Eddie should pull it off. This isnt 1986 anymore and people need to get over it. The band is what the band is. Dave does his thing, and the band does theres.

thefive
07-12-2004, 06:51 PM
Originally posted by L.S.D.
Eddie should pull it off. This isnt 1986 anymore and people need to get over it. The band is what the band is. Dave does his thing, and the band does theres.

But Sammy is still FAT.

Dan
07-12-2004, 07:00 PM
Who ate all of the pies?

DLR_EngineRoom
07-12-2004, 07:00 PM
Originally posted by L.S.D.

Dave IS 'The Band', LovesSuckingDick!

Terry
07-12-2004, 10:54 PM
Sam should just keep quiet until he's able to bring something better to the Van Halen table than Roth did.

Fifty bucks says Hagar spent the last 4 months thinking that lame ass slogan up, made the banner himself and instructed a roadie to throw it up onstage.

tobinentinc
07-12-2004, 11:01 PM
It's kind of funny that the article kept sayin Eddie has a new lease on life, when he still drinks heavily and smokes. If one had a new lease on life, would he/she stop all that??

Rebel
07-12-2004, 11:06 PM
Who is Sammy Hagar?

Sarge's Little Helper
Who is Sammy Hagar?

David Lee Roth says that Sammy Hagar is a bridge drone troll. I think he is a complete whiney bitch who is deathly afraid of the success that Classic Van Halen had that he could never live up to. Bluntly put he is just an old angry man who lives in a delusional fantasy world in which Van Hagar sold 20 million more albums than Classic Van Halen. Every time he talks he utters nothing but lies and sounds like a sack of assholes. Sarge told me that Bette Midler and Sammy Hagar are the same person. For a laugh please ask me who Bette Midler is. Thanks for your time. ..

Rebel
Excuse me, that shit is funny as hell

rockvanhalen66
07-13-2004, 12:04 AM
king edward vh rock on...

guwapo_rocker
07-13-2004, 12:46 AM
Originally posted by Brownsound1

Yes Edward does not want to piss off the real lead singer/
song writer/arranger/set designer/etc etc etc.....

He's gonna need him soon!!!!

rockvanhalen66
07-13-2004, 12:54 AM
Originally posted by guwapo_rocker
Yes Edward does not want to piss off the real lead singer/
song writer/arranger/set designer/etc etc etc.....

He's gonna need him soon!!!! i would like to see the madman back myself but it will not go down. vh can not keep switching singers. i said it before sam was gone for along time. they would have did this already.

guwapo_rocker
07-13-2004, 12:56 AM
Originally posted by rockvanhalen66
i would like to see the madman back myself but it will not go down. vh can not keep switching singers. i said it before sam was gone for along time. they would have did this already.

Okay, I just want to see them try one more time.:D

pkolb
07-13-2004, 01:04 AM
i would like to see the madman back myself but it will not go down. vh can not keep switching singers. i said it before sam was gone for along time. they would have did this already.

rockvanhalen66-

You can't have it both ways. You're a Sammy sheep, so leave it at that. Compliments to Dave don't up your credibility. It's douche-bags like you that prevent the real Van Halen from reuniting.

rockvanhalen66
07-13-2004, 01:13 AM
Okay, I just want to see them try one more time.:D when the shit was flying around about dave returning to vanhalen. to be honest with you i was glad. but the bros took sam. so as a vh fan i still like the music. i see ed and dave as two guys who just cant work together. this is why dave will not be back.

Matt White
07-13-2004, 01:18 AM
To qoute Diamond Dave, what keeps the original lineup from geting back together is " an emotional rift caused by drugs and alcohol" and the fact that the brothers hate Dave for having been so "domineering" while he was in the band.

guwapo_rocker
07-13-2004, 01:18 AM
when the shit was flying around about dave returning to vanhalen. to be honest with you i was glad. but the bros took sam. so as a vh fan i still like the music. i see ed and dave as two guys who just cant work together. this is why dave will not be back.

The problem Is, Ed and Dave write better stuff. I still think

Sam is a freeloader, and I think Al is the biggest reason

they're not working together.

Matt White
07-13-2004, 01:29 AM
What I STILL can't figure out is how they hate Dave for being "THE BOSS". Lets see, since Dave has been gone: sales have been cut in half, their fans base has disentergrated, Touring is no longer a lucrative venture,lost their 20+ year recording conract, have completely fallen off the radar with younger generation, Ed is no longer considered even in the top 70(?) of the best gutarist, and Alex has turned into a Shemp Howard (OF THE THREE STOOGES, IF YA HAVEN"T NOTICED) clone. Nope......no reason to get back the Diamond one. Not if they had a single brain cell left between 'em!

rockvanhalen66
07-13-2004, 01:35 AM
Originally posted by pkolb
rockvanhalen66-

You can't have it both ways. You're a Sammy sheep, so leave it at that. Compliments to Dave don't up your credibility. It's douche-bags like you that prevent the real Van Halen from reuniting. let me tell you something fucker ill have it any way i want. the fans will not bring dave back wake up. if that was the case sam would have never been there in the first place. it is up to the vh brothers who they want. and that shit you say about having it both ways is like saying if dave was back in vh you like him but not vanhalen. so it sounds like your trying to have it both ways. maybe for me not for you.

rockvanhalen66
07-13-2004, 01:44 AM
The problem Is, Ed and Dave write better stuff. I still think

Sam is a freeloader, and I think Al is the biggest reason

they're not working together. guwapo ill tell you what . some of vanhalens best shit was wwriten with dave ed al and mike. that stuff is still untouchable. these guys had a shot to repeat hist. when they came out with means wise magic great tune. then the shit hit the fan once again to much water under that bridge.

Bill Lumbergh
07-13-2004, 02:14 AM
The thing that gets me is that Dave hasnt said one fucking word publicly about the reunion........so why is Spammy STILL bashing him?! Man does Dave own that motherfucker! Class move Ed.

Bill Lumbergh
07-13-2004, 02:16 AM
Although you could also look at it this way........... maybe Ed finally figured out that it's idiotic to piss off the major part of your fanbase by taking shots at Dave. I'd like to think he's respecting the legacy, but who knows?

rockvanhalen66
07-13-2004, 02:38 AM
Originally posted by Bill Lumbergh
Although you could also look at it this way........... maybe Ed finally figured out that it's idiotic to piss off the major part of your fanbase by taking shots at Dave. I'd like to think he's respecting the legacy, but who knows? i never heard sam bash dave. i went to three shows on this tour nothing ever said about dave. on the dave and sam show sam was the openact for that show. he did his shit and dave came out. he played for awhile then he started bashing sam. this might be sams way of getting back who knows.

Bill Lumbergh
07-13-2004, 02:47 AM
Wearing that banner just shows how insecure he still is. And about Dave bashing Sam.........Sam has been attacking him for 19 years, spreading lies about him etc. I think all in all Dave has been pretty easy on him.

Halen High
07-13-2004, 02:57 AM
Matt White, you are spot on about Van Halen losing the younger generation with Sammy.

My 13 and 16 year old cousins are into the latest stuff on the charts, which most of us have no time for, BUT they are also well aware of bands like Kiss, AC/DC, Ozzy, Aerosmith and Guns n Roses. They even like some of the stuff these band released.

Recently, I told them VH was my favourite band and they said they had never fucking heard of them!!!

In general terms, the Van Hagar era has destroyed Van Halen's adolescent appeal. A characteristic they were once famous for.

ELVIS
07-13-2004, 03:07 AM
Maybe Ed thought it was a pro Dave banner...

rockvanhalen66
07-13-2004, 03:12 AM
they both do there share of bashing i guess. becuse they both know the best thing either one has ever done was with vanhalen. let me ask this do you think if dave was back would the band last together? let the egos fly.

thefive
07-13-2004, 03:13 AM
Originally posted by ELVIS

Maybe Ed didnt want Sammy to be able to hide his fat ass so he removed the banner. Eddie might be at the first steps of coming out of denial so by taking off the banner he wanted to show the truth.

rockvanhalen66
07-13-2004, 03:18 AM
Originally posted by thefive
Maybe Ed didnt want Sammy to be able to hide his fat ass so he removed the banner. Eddie might be at the first steps of coming out of denial so by taking off the banner he wanted to show the truth. five you dont like ed ?

Big Train
07-13-2004, 03:36 AM
The tell tale propaganda and/or delusion is the line that Sammy has great respect for the past. While he is wearing a cape that says fuck the past? Stupid hack can't even keep his own column straight.

Eddie has to keep his options open at this point. Hell, the Spermoritas are still on retainer, waiting for him to return off tour anyway. Nobody is planning long term here.

If Van Halen, in ANY configuration, is to return to prominence, all roads lead through Diamond City. End of story.

Igosplut
07-13-2004, 04:53 AM
That ten years of therapy must be kickin in.......

Panamark
07-13-2004, 06:55 AM
Originally posted by ELVIS

I was about to proclaim this as the single most positive moment of this tour, then ELVIS drops this on us...

If Ed did read the banner, its a huge sign of class for one that has been devoid of class.

If not... same old same old...

Im wanting to think he did read it, and it was a show of class and
respect..

Halen High
07-13-2004, 08:14 AM
Right now an insecure Sammy Hagar is asking himself why no other musicians ever cite the Van Hagar years as an influence.

Carmine
07-13-2004, 08:59 AM
well good for Ed! Dave hasnt said a word and probably wont ever. It shows a little bit of class on Eds part to do that, a small move but very signifigant. Has he ever done this in the past?

Bob_R
07-13-2004, 09:36 AM
Originally posted by Big Train
The tell tale propaganda and/or delusion is the line that Sammy has great respect for the past. While he is wearing a cape that says fuck the past? Stupid hack can't even keep his own column straight.

Eddie has to keep his options open at this point. Hell, the Spermoritas are still on retainer, waiting for him to return off tour anyway. Nobody is planning long term here.

If Van Halen, in ANY configuration, is to return to prominence, all roads lead through Diamond City. End of story.

Great post man. Especially the last paragraph.

bru87tr
07-13-2004, 09:46 AM
im shocked!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

maybe ed is trying to show new light on himself.

gota say I never expected ed to do something like that in defense of Dave and Classic VH.

maybe ed isnt the complete asshole I thought he was. still he has done some pretty bad shit, personally I think alot more has to do with that cunt Alex feeding ed what to think and say.

bru87tr
07-13-2004, 09:55 AM
who says ed and dave cant work together. they did it for how many years ??????????

the only reason ed doesnt have dave in is because of that cunt Alex. ed is very impressionable. ed is very easily distracted and tricked.

VH was a successful band because dave worked his ass off to make them that way. ed, was a great guitarist but he did nothing else to make them successful. Dave did all the work and being a part of the music. Dave is a hard worker and what you put in is what comes out. just look at the current state of Van fagar.

if ed has a honest bone in his body it is a matter of time that ed comes to his senses and the original will get back for one last horrah!!!!!

EddieFan4Ever
07-13-2004, 10:25 AM
Originally posted by bru87tr
who says ed and dave cant work together. they did it for how many years ??????????

the only reason ed doesnt have dave in is because of that cunt Alex. ed is very impressionable. ed is very easily distracted and tricked.

VH was a successful band because dave worked his ass off to make them that way. ed, was a great guitarist but he did nothing else to make them successful. Dave did all the work and being a part of the music. Dave is a hard worker and what you put in is what comes out. just look at the current state of Van fagar.

if ed has a honest bone in his body it is a matter of time that ed comes to his senses and the original will get back for one last horrah!!!!!

It's not about honesty.....my opinion is this: Ed stops drinking and you'll see Dave back in. He's most impressionable while intoxicated. Of course, i still have it that VH will reunite with Dave next year....so, drunk or sober it should happen. :)

Keeyth
07-13-2004, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by Panamark
I was about to proclaim this as the single most positive moment of this tour, then ELVIS drops this on us...

If Ed did read the banner, its a huge sign of class for one that has been devoid of class.

If not... same old same old...

Im wanting to think he did read it, and it was a show of class and
respect..

Here here! If Ed did read it and pulled it off, it's the first thing he's done right since 1996... ...and there is no way he thought it was pro-Dave, cuz there is no fucking WAY Spammy would have put that on himself! THINK for a minute, Elvis!

thefive
07-13-2004, 03:27 PM
five you dont like ed ?

Yeah I like Ed. 99 percent of all my bashing is on Sammy.
I really do not have a problem with Ed. But my post did not bash Ed. Maybe a little. I just said he was in denial about Sam's fat ass.

bru87tr
07-13-2004, 05:43 PM
seems the older I get the more I believe they will get back together. I really do hate hating ed but he has done and said some fucked up shit.

your right Eddiefan4eva, ed stops drinking and dave is back in. dave didnt control ed back in the day it was that dave was a leader and it was easy for ed being drunk as he was to just let dave do things. he trusted him and knew he did a great job and cared about the band as a business.

but I believe the way ed looks now he is seriously drinking and listens to too much of what Alex has to say. ed will wise up soon I think and to me I think its fucked up Dave is so quiet. really fucked up. hes just keeping busy but not music busy. strange it is!

DLR_EngineRoom
07-13-2004, 06:08 PM
Originally posted by Terry
Sam should just keep quiet until he's able to bring something better to the Van Halen table than Roth did.

Fifty bucks says Hagar spent the last 4 months thinking that lame ass slogan up, made the banner himself and instructed a roadie to throw it up onstage.

EX-F***ING-ZACTLY

I'm not so sure Eddie pulled it off him for the reasons I've seen posted here so far. I think it could've easily been just a random, spur-of-the-moment thing Eddie did. Not saying it DID happen, just could've...

scottydabodi
07-13-2004, 09:24 PM
Man, anyone bringin' an anti-Dave banner to a Hagar show has GOT to have the brain the size of a proton. Sam's a dried up stinky dick licker that wouldn't know a good song if it bit his FAT ASS!!! In ALL sincerity, I can't name on Hagar tune EVER WRITTEN that is a kick ass tune. What's Sam's BEST song ever, like, "Poundcake"?!? Fuck that shit!!! "Hot for Teacher" KICKS ASS ALL OVER THAT TUNE!!!!!! And "...teacher" is only one of many GREAT songs that Dave was in on... Dave+Ed=Genius Kick Ass Rock n Roll!! Sam+Ed=Lovey-Dovey, light FM, "Let's talk about our FEELINGS" BULLSHIT. You know where your dinner hangs, shithead!

Terry
07-14-2004, 05:13 PM
Roth totally looms over that band in a way Hagar never will.

If it were the classic lineup on the road this year, nobody would even be mentioning Hagar's name.

pkolb
07-14-2004, 11:12 PM
There is a line in the article that disturbs me. It reads:

"He didn't rip it from Hagar's shoulders, or make a big stink about it, as he might have done years ago. He discreetly pulled it off."

So far, everybody is saying it was cool of Eddie to take it off, and I agree, but is the author suggesting that Eddie might have taken more offense to the banner years ago, or that Eddie might have held the banner up and showed it off in the past? I read it as the former, in which case it doesn't sound like such good news to me. It sounds like Eddie is more tolerant of anti-Roth sentiment these days, even if he's not happy with it. Am I misinterpreting this?

Hecubus
07-14-2004, 11:17 PM
good for Eddie.

Hell, I'd throw my jockeys at him for that one.

5150Clown
07-15-2004, 03:54 PM
Honestly guys, I think Ed can't read and when he saw the word "Dave" on it, he took it off thinking it was praising Dave. He's a moron.

I'd like to know who's the idiot fan that wrote such a banner.

Idiot fan =
"hmmm....let me make a banner that will get Hagar's attention and will piss off all the Dave fans so I can get my ass kicked when I get out of the show".

General Hina
07-15-2004, 04:11 PM
Seriously these guys should start to act a little bit more mature. Even if someone brought that banner to the show doesn't mean Eddie and Sammy have to acknowledge it. Grow up Sam and Ed.

Over and Out,
General Hina

Carmine
07-15-2004, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by pkolb
There is a line in the article that disturbs me. It reads:

"He didn't rip it from Hagar's shoulders, or make a big stink about it, as he might have done years ago. He discreetly pulled it off."

So far, everybody is saying it was cool of Eddie to take it off, and I agree, but is the author suggesting that Eddie might have taken more offense to the banner years ago, or that Eddie might have held the banner up and showed it off in the past? I read it as the former, in which case it doesn't sound like such good news to me. It sounds like Eddie is more tolerant of anti-Roth sentiment these days, even if he's not happy with it. Am I misinterpreting this?

I think so, in years past he would have let sam wear the thing through the show. By taking it off, albeit discretly, it shows Ed still has respect for Dave. Just my opinion, and I take it as a good sign for the future.

MERRYKISSMASS2U
07-15-2004, 04:24 PM
does the author of that article have to be reminded that VAN Halen is not back together!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!????????? ?????????? Dave is VH, and he is nowhere in Van Hagar right now, only some fat troll.

tjvhou812
07-20-2004, 11:25 PM
Originally posted by Brownsound1

yea but people here will still bash him....

i saw alot of vh shows, and i never heard ed bash dave once...

in concert anyway..
they both took shots at each other in the press

but thats the past eddie moved on...

and so should everyone else